JUDY FEDER CAMPAIGN SILENT REGARDING ATTACKS

By Greg L | 29 August 2006 | Blogs, US Congress | 11 Comments

UPDATE: Since the time of this posting Mr. Bouchillon has done a tremendous job of turning things around and his website has dramatically improved. I now visit and comment on his website fairly frequently, and am very pleased to have this unpleasantness behind us. Mr. Bouchillon is rare testament to the power of personal redemption, and a success story of the Virginia blogosphere.

Yesterday this blog reported on the attacks against the family of a political opponent by operatives of the Judy Feder for Congress campaign and called on the Judy Feder for Congress campaign to explain why they were engaging in personal attacks against the families of tenth district voters. To date, there has been no answer.

Meanwhile, I have received information, as yet unconfirmed, that Judy Feder for Congress operative Mr. Bouchillon may be far more involved with the “FTR” website and it’s mendacious attacks than previously acknowledged. I have also learned that Mr. Bouchillon is extremely concerned that he may face legal action, despite the fact that the only person who is being investigated for possible legal action is the operator of the “FTR” website who posted the attacks.

Now the interest of certain attendees at the Martinsville conference regarding what might become of the individual operating the “FTR” website becomes clear.

The investigation is proceeding, even while Judy Feder hides from the mounting evidence that her campaign is engaging in Stalinist political tactics against political opponents. Every day she fails to answer why her campaign will stoop to attacking the families of her critics lends additional weight to the conclusion that she personally approves of such behavior. Judy Feder is demonstrably unfit to hold any elected office at any level of government, where her ability to engage in political repression, using even children if necessary, will be vastly greater than it is now.

1. Kenton Ngo said on 29 Aug 2006 at 7:49 pm:

Nonsense. Greg isn’t being paid by the Feder campaign, and the Feder campaign isn’t out to get you. Quit trying to drag them into this.

2. Craig said on 29 Aug 2006 at 8:04 pm:

Greg, I gotta agree with Kenton on this one. I doubt that the Feder campaign is doing anything coordinated to attack you. I do not know this for a fact but I would be very shocked if it were true. My best guess is that Greg B. is simply acting on his own.

I am sure that the Feder campaign isn’t crazy about you but I would find it hard to believe that they would waste time and energy on personally attacking one blogger. It wouldn’t however be a terrible idea for them to ask Greg B. to cool it a bit perhaps… but if he isn’t working for them then it is unlikely that it would have much effect.

3. Box Seats said on 29 Aug 2006 at 8:36 pm:

I have watched this from afar, with no dog in the fight. However, given that Greg B.’s site is a virtually a campaign site for Feder-both supporting Feder and attacking Wolf-at least she could have the stones to say in public she is not connected with the site that supports her so solidly, but condemns any effort using blogs or other means to attack families in her district.

If it turns out she lied, then folks will see what she is made of. If it is the truth, then folks will see what kind of people are supporting her.

Instead her campaign sits silent as the sphynx…and in that silence let’s us know what kind of courageous representative she is likely to make.

4. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 29 Aug 2006 at 9:13 pm:

While I don’t think Feder is coordinating this, I do agree that she does have the responsibility to condemn this action done on her behalf and to disavow it.

5. Greg L said on 29 Aug 2006 at 9:34 pm:

Stay tuned. The evidence is being assembled and verified, and the body of that evidence is growing by the day. I know it may seem unlikely that the Judy Feder campaign has a part in this, but that is precisely where I believe the growing evidence is pointing.

Hang on for a wild ride!

6. Anonymous said on 29 Aug 2006 at 9:49 pm:

As one of the few regular moderate Democrats on this blog (voting for Webb and I personally love Jeanette Rishell)- the Feder’s campaign inability to reign in Greg B. in this matter as completely alienated both myself and husband as voters. We campaigned for Socas. But as a family dealing with a disability, we stand with Greg L. and his family in this matter. What Greg B. did to the photo was insulting to Greg L, his family, my family, and any other family in Prince William raising children with special needs. I called the campaign after the initial round and expressed my dismay. I believe they followed up at the time, but he seems to be persisting in this.

Greg B.’s affliation with Feder’s campaign should be a privledge, not a right and it should have been cut off at the knees with his little photo stunt at the beginning and should have been done so publicly. Their inability to do so has cost them our votes and the party some money as well this campaign cycle. (Lest we lose our credentials, we did write a check to NOW.) At this point, I might actively try to sway some of my more undecided neighbors (who are supportive of my family) to voting against her as well. Frank Wolf, inspite of the many ways I disagree with him, has a very good voting record on my child’s disability. I find the Feder campaign’s continuing use of Greg B. as a photographer to insensitive beyond words. I demand that they now address this publicly and with some finality to it. Perhaps then this ugliness can go away and we can get back to talking about the issues.

7. James Young said on 30 Aug 2006 at 12:18 am:

Greg, while you have done much (inappropriately, to my mind) to salvage the name of this website, I see no more reason why Feder should comment upon its comments than I saw for Steve Chapman to refute the wild accusations made against him.

Those of us in the blogosphere are delighted when someone pays attention to us. But that delight does not imply a concomitant obligation for candidates to respond to everything — or anything — that appears here. Frankly, it sounds a little arrogant for you to demand that she do so.

8. Greg L said on 30 Aug 2006 at 1:19 am:

James,

Perhaps so, but as the father of the family which has been repeatedly attacked by her campaign personnel, I think an explanation to me about this affair is entirely appropriate. As the party ultimately responsible for the actions of those who work on her behalf, Judy Feder is the sole person who can speak with authority as to why her campaign decided that my family was fair game for her political attacks.

She owes me a personal explanation for these incidents, and I don’t plan on backing off without one.

9. Trent A. Barton said on 30 Aug 2006 at 3:25 pm:

Just a simple comment– there are three areas that are out of bounds when it comes to pulbic debate and discourse– That is a person’s employment, faith, and family. The Feder campaign supporters have clearly crossed the line and Greg L and his family are due an explaination to their offensive actions. Greg B has taken the role of promoting Feder fledgling campaign and works in concert with them. Feder should denounce his actions and distance themselves from this delusional rogue supporter/campaign staff.

Just my thoughts-

10. James Young said on 30 Aug 2006 at 5:19 pm:

Interesting comment, Trent. However, I would imagine that Bouchillon’s response would be to note that our host seems to feel free to make an issue of Jeanette Rishell’s “faith.” I put it in quotation marks because I once visited a Unitarian website, and when I clicked on “What We Believe,” the page wouldn’t load. And isn’t one of the allegations in the Chapman lawsuit that BVBL and Greg have attacked Steve’s business?

Moreover, even people on “our” side of the aisle have felt free to attack my employment.

That might be a good rule. But it’s hardly one followed here, or among many others.

11. anon said on 30 Aug 2006 at 5:48 pm:

I disagree completely that a person’s employment and faith are out of bounds. These 2 elements can tell us volumes about potential candidates. And they are elements that are completely within the control of the candidate. I do not mean this to say that we should be actively seeking to disrupt someone’s job or get them fired - but out of bounds - hardly!

And faith - well, for many people - faith is representative of the sum total of who that person is and what they stand for. If THAT is out of bounds, then what is left? Little of actual substance for many folks. To understand a person’s faith - and their personal interpretation of it - is to understand the person. Vital to a wise voter - and hardly off limits.

But family - that is completely off limits with the exception perhaps of how one treats one’s own family - abuse, neglect, etc. But other than that kind of egregious behavior, family is strictly off limits (unless the politician/candidate has made it so through their own behavior - such as a former supervisor who publicly accused police of corruption and harrassment of a child).