Lucy Beauchamp To Announce

Announcement on
November 30, 2006
6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.
Buckhall Fire Department
7190 Yates Ford Road
Manassas

Lucy will be a compelling candidate, and it’s still possible that Michele McQuigg will also be seeking the Republican nomination. If you haven’t had a chance to get to know Lucy, this will be a worthwhile event to attend.

1. Citizenofmanassas said on 17 Nov 2006 at 9:31 pm:

Why does she want to go from the school board to this? Seems to be an odd jump.

2. Manassasinsider said on 17 Nov 2006 at 9:53 pm:

Are you kiddin Citizenofmanassas? Its the best gig around. 100k+ a year for a do nothing job that runs itself, and you only have to run for election every 6 years.

3. Joe said on 17 Nov 2006 at 10:09 pm:

Manassas Insider is correct. Almost anyone would want this job.

Is Mabie going to resign early, causing a special election, or is this just in preperation for November 2007?

4. Greg L said on 17 Nov 2006 at 10:11 pm:

I’m sure this is in preparation for 2007. The race for the nomination is likely going to be a hard fight and the candidates are going to have to work overtime to pull out a victory.

5. Citizenofmanassas said on 17 Nov 2006 at 11:12 pm:

I guess I don’t understand the lifer politician. To go from one position to another. I can understand going from Council member to State level etc, but how do you go from being concerned with schools and kids to the Courts? Pay aside, or maybe that is all there is to it. It makes me question her motivation and sincerity.

6. Greg L said on 17 Nov 2006 at 11:40 pm:

I can understand how someone who grows in a school board position gets the feeling they’d have an opportunity to have a greater positive impact on society in a higher position. And while a lot of folks sort of denigrate the clerk job as a cushy, do-nothing post I really think there’s an opportunity to make a difference there as long as you go in and try to do it.

I’m glad some of our local legislators get experience on the school board or the soil & water board. The experience is helpful and we get to understand how they perform in an elective office before we throw them in the state legislature or some other higher office. Nothing irks me more than a candidate with no legislative record at all running for delegate, state senator, or congressman. How am I supposed to evaluate their real positions if they’ve never cast a vote?

7. Big Dog said on 18 Nov 2006 at 9:36 am:

The Clerk of the Court position in Virginia was adapted
    by the Byrd machine to be a political plum for their
    key folks across the Commonwealth and has never
    changed. It is a sweet deal.

1) It has an eight year term.

2) Currently pays close to 130K with great benefits.

3) It requires the skills of a modestly competent
    office manager with enough intelligence to hire
    good staff. Also, to keep a Mabie tradition,
    willing to marry folks on Valentine’s Day.

4) Few if any hot button decisions to make - road
    funding, taxes, etc. Nobody beating you up
    on a regular basis.

(Footnote: Jackson Miller will make less than 18K a
    year and have to run every two years.)

8. Citizenofmanassas said on 18 Nov 2006 at 1:05 pm:

To the Jackson Miller comment, it is nice we do not pay our elected officials a lot o money. However, the flip side is that only the very well off can afford to run for State office.

9. BorkDork said on 18 Nov 2006 at 6:06 pm:

Greg:

Do you know if she filed as a Republican?

10. Greg L said on 18 Nov 2006 at 9:09 pm:

She always has been a Republican, and I got the announcement from the PWC Republican Committee. So while I don’t know if she’s actually filed any paperwork yet, I think it’s a safe bet she’s looking for the Republican nomination.

11. Big Dog said on 19 Nov 2006 at 12:24 pm:

Ms. Beauchamp would be a strong candidate if she
    ran as a Whig, Tory, Bull Mooser or - gasp - Democrat.
    But Republican is the smart way for her to go - still far
    more Yellow Dog GOPers in the area than any other
    kind - so, why not?

She is well respected and known for her work on the
    the school board and her volunteer work as a United
    Way leader.

Her only negative is that folks wouldn’t want her “lost”
    to the Clerk’s office.

12. Musical Chairs in PWC « Virginia Virtucon said on 20 Nov 2006 at 11:03 pm:

[…] Greg L. over at BVBL has news about some musical chairs in PWC.  School Board Chairman Lucy Beauchamp is making the long anticipated move to run for Clerk of the Court while Milt Johns is tossing his hat in the ring for School Board Chairman. […]

13. Mike Wooten said on 31 Jan 2007 at 12:27 am:

Greg L is right: “And while a lot of folks sort of denigrate the clerk job as a cushy, do-nothing post I really think there’s an opportunity to make a difference there as long as you go in and try to do it.” The clerk certainly has a leadership role on the question of marriage. In fact, marriage is the only real hot button issue for the clerk, and I want a clerk who demonstrated leadership in support of the marriage amendment. I heard that Lucy was against it, but I don’t know if that’s true. If Lucy was for it, I’d like to see a pre-November 2006 article that stated her position. I think Prince William County voters, who were overwhelmingly for the amendment, would like for Beauchamp to clarify her position and history on marriage. Personally, I have no question that Michelle McQuiqq was for the marriage amendment. Again, I think it’s an interesting question for the clerk race.