BATF Looking Out For Us

By Greg L | 25 November 2006 | Uncategorized | 11 Comments

If you’re a federal firearms licensee, you recently got an important announcement from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives:

This serves to inform all federally licensed manufacturers, importers, and dealers that the newly revised Firearms transaction Record Part I Over-the-Counter (ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) (English-Spanish) is now available through the ATF Distribution Center.

All Federal firearms licensees who use the Spanish-language version of ATF Form 4473 must use this form beginning November 6, 2006.

How wonderful.  The ATF Form 4473 is the form used to record the transfer of a firearm and is the source document for NCIC background checks for firearm purchasers, who are required to be U.S. Citizens by law.  You know, the same citizens who are required to have some proficiency in English as a condition of their naturalization.

And just how is this in the best interests of our country, exactly?

1. Citizenofmanassas said on 25 Nov 2006 at 3:11 pm:

This is just another example of caving in. We are watching the creation of a dual language Country. Anybody that says otherwise just is not thinking right.

2. Anonon said on 25 Nov 2006 at 4:21 pm:

Not that I have actually purchased a firearm myself, but are you required to prove citizenship upon purchase? In what manner?

3. Anonymous said on 25 Nov 2006 at 4:46 pm:

I was born in the United States. I don’t remember ever taking a test to prove proficiency in English. I guess it boggles some minds that some citizens weren’t naturalized and don’t speak English.

4. notayankeeinnorthernvirginia said on 25 Nov 2006 at 5:28 pm:

Interesting that the ATF did something to make gun purchases anything resembling easier for citizens. Ultimately I agree with Citizenofmanassas, though.

Though there are large (large) pockets of South American immigrants (and illegal aliens) in my area, there are also large pockets of Asians (especially Koreans) as well as other immigrants. Surprised that nobody has pinged the government yet for showing favoritism.

5. Spank That Donkey said on 25 Nov 2006 at 6:35 pm:

If the Dems move to impeach GWB, shouldn’t we just let them…. I mean yeah, I know they’re charges are just bogus… but maybe having Dick Cheney as President might help…

He did shoot that lawyer down in Texas ;-)

6. Mike Stollenwerk said on 25 Nov 2006 at 7:33 pm:

Federal law does not require that firearm transferees be US citizens. Permanent residents may also be transferees of firearms, as can any other alien in the US both lawfully and in possession of a hunting license.

NOTE: In VA and most states, permanent residents may apply for concealed handgun permits. The Virginia Citizens Defense League has even created a Spanish VCDL mini-home page to help communicate to those with limited English abilities - see http://www.vcdl.org/spanish.html.

There is no English speaking requirement for permanent residents or these other aliens - I see no problem with the BATFE Form 4473 being written in Spanish as well as English. I do see a problem with the form itself - why are US Citizens or anyone else for that matter required to give up personal information into quasi-permanent records about themselves and their gun when buying thru dealers?

I can see the logic of an instant background check, even if I don’t like it - but allowing the dealers and/or BATFE to keep this registration info for decades in unacceptable.

We need to reform federal gun control to eliminate the records of good guy gun sales once the background check was performed and the transfer completed.

7. Citizenofmanassas said on 26 Nov 2006 at 1:00 am:

IMO, VCDL is wrong on this. All they want are more possible members, and are not looking at the larger picture. If they looked at the larger picture, they would realize hispanics vote more often than not for Dems, and the last time I checked, the Dems were the ones going after our guns and our rights. So, while they might pick up a low number of members, they too have caved and have made it possible for hispanics to do one more thing without learning how to speak English, or learn how to read it.

8. Greg L said on 26 Nov 2006 at 9:18 pm:

I had been under the impression that only citizens had the right to possess firearms — apparently this was incorrect.

I’m not sure if I really like this idea, as too many illegals are initially legal but overstay their visas. If this occurs with a significant portion of long-term visas, I’d be in favor of revoking this privilege from nonresidents.

As much as I am a strong supporter of second amendment rights, I strongly feel those are the preserve of citizens and subject to review when it applies to non-citizens.

9. anonymous said on 27 Nov 2006 at 11:04 am:

Ahem..let me clarify the three things that non-citizens who live here are not allowed to do:

1)Vote.

2)Hold public office (and then, I believe, it depends on the public office).

3)Have their income taxed by the IRS no matter where in the world they are.

10. Citizenofmanassas said on 27 Nov 2006 at 3:09 pm:

Well, you can toss out the first one.

11. anonymous said on 27 Nov 2006 at 3:43 pm:

That’s OK, we all know that family values don’t stop at the southern border and they’d vote for Republicans if only we could stop the Buchanonites…

Did I miss anything?