Should I Or Shouldn’t I?

By Greg L | 18 December 2006 | Blogs, Prince William County | 25 Comments

A reporter from The Washington Blade, DC’s weekly newspaper of all things homosexual, just sent me a request for an interview. They want to talk about Jeff Dion, presumably in advance of a nice little puff piece about how one of their own is seeking elective office and may have an opportunity to make decisions on our behalf. First it’s Equality Prince William providing muscle for Jeff’s campaign organization, then it’s the ever-controversial Mr. Bouchillon signing on. And now the Washington Blade gets to promote Dion. This is just getting better and better.

From: Elizabeth Perry (email address redacted)
Date: December 18, 2006 4:08:02 PM EST
To: admin@bvbl.net
Subject: Interview Request

I am a news reporter for the Washington Blade, a weekly gay newspaper
in the District of Columbia. In your Dec. 7, 2006 blog you wrote about
Jeff Dion, a Democrat running for Occoquan Supervisor in a special
election next month. I am doing a story about that item and the
importance of political blogs. Would you be willing to answer a few
questions for publication?

Thanks!

Elizabeth Perry
News Reporter
Eperry@washblade.com

1) You wrote “But there’s some other critical information that the
Democrats haven’t been too interested in talking about that might help
inform voters about how Mr. Dion values his commitments.” I read the
whole thing and didn’t see any “critical information,” just
information already out there about Dion’s sexual orientation. Why did
you choose to focus on Dion’s sexual orientation in your blog? Why is
this information so critical to readers?

2) You went on to write in great detail about the cost and square
footage of Dion’s house, comparing it with his ex-wife’s. Are readers
to infer that square footage is the best indicator of where children
should be raised? Why is this information critical to readers?

3) Blogs seem to carry weight after they are passed around through
email. Do you think political blogs do much to influence elections?

I dunno. Would it be more fun to have a talk with these folks, or is the whole concept of willingly being associated with the Washington Blade in any fashion simply too disturbing to consider? I’d love to hear what BVBL readers think.

1. Anonymous said on 18 Dec 2006 at 5:18 pm:

Run away, it’s a trap, a setup, … trust the force BVBL… this could be the end of you… don’t talk with the darkside… Nooooooooooooooo!

The Dog

2. Anonon said on 18 Dec 2006 at 5:31 pm:

The trap is already sprung. You are likely going to be part of this article, whether you comment on the piece or not. Just my guess.

3. megan said on 18 Dec 2006 at 5:32 pm:

Go ahead and answer them.

4. megan said on 18 Dec 2006 at 5:36 pm:

Anonon is likely right. You should answer the questions.

5. Anonymous said on 18 Dec 2006 at 5:40 pm:

“Beware of the dark side. Anger…fear…aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight.” (Yoda)

Beware,

The Dog

6. Anonymous said on 18 Dec 2006 at 5:54 pm:

I agree with The Dog. Stay away.

7. Rick Sincere said on 18 Dec 2006 at 6:25 pm:

The Washington Blade is one of the best-run, most professional gay publications in the country. It is a quality newspaper. There is no reason to fear association with it. It often runs to more than 60 pages and is heavy with advertising — and advertisers know what kind of publications are worth utilizing to reach their customers.

8. James Young said on 18 Dec 2006 at 6:38 pm:

“one of the best-run, most professional gay publications in the country”

Understand the paradigm. I don’t know what I would do.

9. the_stenographer said on 18 Dec 2006 at 6:42 pm:

What kind of right minded advertisers would advertise with the Wasington (gay) Blade?

And even more, dont let them give you any incentives to make the idea of doing an interview with them more appealing. Next thing you know, they could be offering you a free trip for two to the Bahamas with the cast of queer eye for the straight guy. I agree with my cohort the Dog–stay AWAY!

10. MC said on 18 Dec 2006 at 6:52 pm:

Run away, Greg! It doesn’t matter what you say, cutting and pasting is very easy. I doubt very much that they would take any of your criticism in the manner in which you mean it. You agree, they will twist every word. You already know they back Dion, whats the point?

11. 10thdistrictrepublican said on 18 Dec 2006 at 7:05 pm:

Stay away! These folks will take what you say and twist it according to their article. Being interviewed for this particular newspaper is a no win situation for you.

12. megan said on 18 Dec 2006 at 7:13 pm:

Greg you probably will be made to look very bad to the readers. You need to decide if that is a bad thing or a good thing.

13. R.T. Molleur said on 18 Dec 2006 at 7:30 pm:

Have them send you the questions beforehand and in writing.

Post them on the blog and then get our opinions.

If you called them or Dion for an interview, they’d want the questions in advance.

Don’t runaway - they’d smear you as chicken.

14. Greg L said on 18 Dec 2006 at 8:22 pm:

Six to three against, I guess that’s pretty decisive. But for the edification of our readers, here are some comments on their loaded questions:

Question one asks what the important information was that I conveyed, and apparently they never were able to understand how leaving a marriage in order to pursue a gay lifestyle could be considered a bad thing. If they can’t grasp that a marriage with children isn’t something you throw away in order to be a practicing member of Equality Prince William, I guess there’s not a lot they’re going to learn from me.

Question two asks about the details about the comparative living arrangements of Mr. Dion and his ex-wife that I mentioned. James Young got it — that the question really is about whether the campaign is lying with it’s frequent statements about how he lives in Lake Ridge with his two kids. I still believe the Dion campaign is deliberately trying to mislead us about what’s actually going on, and I hope they continue to get questioned on their campaign statements. Kudos to James for cutting through the window dressing to see what was really goiing on with all of that.

Question three is a throwaway designed to give me an opportunity to stroke my ego by talking about how important I might be. No dice. Just because the Washington Blade offers me the chance of talking about what a bigshot I supposedly think I am doesn’t mean I’m interested in playing.

But it was really funny to get the request. Is the weekly communist paper going to want to talk to me next? I might answer them — that would be hilarious — especially if I can get Batson to collaborate with me on my responses.

Now I wonder what short response I can shoot back. Suggestions?

15. James Young said on 18 Dec 2006 at 8:34 pm:

OK, I saw your original comment. Good timing, I guess. Feel free to delete my riposte.

16. anon said on 18 Dec 2006 at 8:38 pm:

“leaving a marriage in order to pursue a gay lifestyle could be considered a bad thing”

You continue to allege this. What info do you have that this is indeed what transpired? I presume you have some evidence that HE left the marriage - and that it was to “pursue” a gay lifestyle. (I realize that he is IN a gay relationship, but that is not the same as LEAVING a marriage to engage in it.)

And I too would avoid the Blade. Perhaps just “Thank you, but no. Your reputation preceeds you.”

Several writers there have been accused of taking bits and pieces of what was said and crafting it in to something wholly different than what was ever uttered.

17. Greg L said on 18 Dec 2006 at 9:05 pm:

Stay tuned, anon.

18. Not Jack Herrity said on 19 Dec 2006 at 7:44 am:

The Blade has never made a pretense of being fair or unbiased, so I think there is little chance you come out of this looking like anything but an assclown, to coin a Ben Tribbett phrase. Look at the questions, for Pete’s sake. They’re trying to trip you up. Don’t give them the satisfaction.

NJH

19. Had to Say said on 19 Dec 2006 at 7:57 am:

Greg,

Your best bet is sticking to your own blog.

To Anon- Maybe he wasn’t the one that left the marriage, but do you honestly expect a woman to stay with a gay man? I certianly wouldn’t, even for the children.

20. megan said on 19 Dec 2006 at 8:26 am:

Y’all are making so many assumptions my head is spinning. I know “fact” is a four letter word but you really don’t need to be afraid of it.

21. Gurduloo said on 19 Dec 2006 at 9:04 am:

Looks to me like you just responded to their questions right here. I’m sure they’ll feel free to print your comments.

22. Diddio said on 19 Dec 2006 at 1:08 pm:

I feel sorry for the sufferers of the terrible disease known as homosexuality. If we can put men in space, why can’t we discover a cure for gay?

23. anon said on 19 Dec 2006 at 2:47 pm:

Had to say –

Surprisingly, I DO know a woman and man who have stayed together for the kids. He is gay (he doesn’t date & neither does she).

And how do YOU even know that he revealed/acknowledged being gay before the marriage ended? Maybe it ended due to something completely unrelated.

24. R.T. Molleur said on 19 Dec 2006 at 7:35 pm:

Greg:

I find it hard to believe that you can take on Chapman with so much glee and gusto, but you are way too scared of being interviewed by a friggin homo magazine. What gives? Can’t take it? All they are are libs for crying out loud. You have the best political blog in NVA and now the Blade is going to write a hit piece about how chicken you are. Take them on (not literally though).

25. charles said on 20 Dec 2006 at 8:42 am:

It’s your life, Greg. I wouldn’t do it, but then again I wouldn’t have written the stuff you wrote about Dion either, so I wouldn’t be in this position. Having said what you said, I wouldn’t want to have to clarify and explain it to the Blade and hope they would get it right.

If they asked me to clarify anything I had said in this discussion, I would be happy to do so, as long as I was allowed to tape the interview.

So if you DO continue, make sure to get permission to put the entire thing on tape, so you can report what you said and have proof to back it up. That’s not because of who they are, I would recommend that for talking with ANY reporter.

In the end, I don’t know if this would be more or less unpleasant than the lawsuit, but I believe it could be a similar experience.