More Diversity For Manassas

By Greg L | 20 December 2006 | Manassas City | 28 Comments

Just what Manassas lacks: a Hookah/Dance Hall.  The amazing things you find out about Manassas in Myspace…

Apparently this is the big fad lately, where everyone sits around on pillows and smokes out of one of these monster water pipes.   Coming to you in Spring ‘07, our little piece of the best of middle eastern culture.

I would have settled for a good Lebanese restaurant.  There’s no decent tabouleh or shwarma to be found in Prince William County, but we will have huge water pipes and belly dancing.

1. Batson D. Belfrey said on 21 Dec 2006 at 9:52 am:

Not sure what to think of this, but hey, as long as what goes on there is legal, and they run a decent establishment, shouldn’t be a problem. I mean, we tolerate a certain establishment, run by a local celeb, and word has it that some stuff goes on there that have caught the eye of local LE. This is not to say that what goes on is sanctioned by the owners, but I can specualte that they do know at some level what is going on in their place.

As to the Hookah bar….keep it legal, keep it clean.

Surprised that no one has tried to open a place that caters to gays, but I think it’s just a matter of time, before this battle will be fought, and the WaPo paints the good people of Manassas as a bunch of intolerant biggots/

2. Not Jack Herrity said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:00 am:

So you’re worried about people smoking the hookah but not about Rack & Roll allowing drug deals to go on in plain view? What a double standard.

NJH

3. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:16 am:

I grew up in Manassas and while I am glad to see more diversity in PWC than when I lived there, it’s also rather embarrassing to see the right-wing/closed-minded backlash against it (as represented by the xenophobic and racist obsessions of the administrator of this site, who hopefully is not at all representative of today’s PWC population as a whole). Maybe you should get to know some people who are not privileged and lilly-white and then you’ll understand that there may actually be something to learn from people who are different from you?

4. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:24 am:

Oh, so all white people are privileged, hmm?

Where the hell is my inheritance?

5. Had to Say said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:46 am:

You know, I get sick and tired of hearing the same old crap from you liberals. ((Anon 10:16am)

Not everyone who is agianst illegal immigration is a racist! If we didn’t have laws, and people didn’t abide by them, this country would be absolute chaos! When someone speeds, they are breaking the law and receive a ticket if caught. If someone robs a person, and their caught, the go to jail. So why is it any different when someone comes to our country illegally? They are breaking the law and should be punished.

Also I don’t understand why you think it’s okay for one country to immigrate here illegally. There are so many other countries facing worse hardships than Mexico is and they can’t walk over a border to escape it.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to preserve a way of life that we, as AMERICAN’S grew up with. If illegal immigration was okay, then we wouldn’t have laws against it. We do and it is time our government enforced them.

6. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:48 am:

your *inheritance* is the great country that your *immigrant* forefathers built for you. they did not mean for you to shut the doors as soon as non-white immigrants decided to come here too.

7. Had to Say said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:50 am:

BTW- There is a Hooka bar in Woodbridge. I have never been there but I know they used to serve underage teenagers there. If this does go in, in Manassas someone needs to make sure that isn’t happening.

8. Greg L said on 21 Dec 2006 at 10:55 am:

The airs of moral superiority emanating from the left, along with their presumptions that the only possible explanation for a conservative viewpoint must be because conservatives are uneducated slack-jawed racists who haven’t seen the world is simply hilarious. John Kerry’s world outlook apparently is representative of the driving force behind modern liberalism.

Thank God we have the opportunity to expose this utter stupidity here. C’mon libs, keep it up! I need more ammo!

9. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 11:13 am:

i don’t think ALL conservatives are uneducated slack-jawed racists, some of them have actually graduated from high school, frighteningly enough.

10. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 11:18 am:

i double-dog dare any of you “slack-jawed racist conservatives” to spend one hour in the company of someone who is not privileged and white and then see if your biases hold true.

11. Had to Say said on 21 Dec 2006 at 11:38 am:

If my children are starving and I shoplift food to feed them, do you think the “law” gives a damn? NO! They would lock me up because I BROKE the LAW!!!!!!!!!

Thats what Illegal aliens are doing and they should be punished.

12. Gurduloo said on 21 Dec 2006 at 11:50 am:

You’d have to steal a whole lot of food to get locked up for it.

13. AWCheney said on 21 Dec 2006 at 12:17 pm:

NJH, how dare you make that assumption regarding Rack N’Roll…and it’s based on what??? I happen to know that family personally and at least two of them are respected members of the bar (brother in VA, father in MD and DC…don’t know if he’s current). I question if you have ever been there or are repeating slander and perjured testimony. I really had a lot more respect for you and am incredibly disappointed that I may have misjudged you!

14. Greg L said on 21 Dec 2006 at 12:25 pm:

I have to agree with Anke here regarding the impression NJH has erroneously made regarding Rack & Roll. There has never been even a prosecution regarding drug deals at Rack & Roll despite the widespread rumours that the place was infested by drug dealers.

There’s actually a VERY interesting story about all of this which I’m working on and hope to present soon. I hope you can reserve judgement until I’m able to get the whole thing put together and verified. Until then please accept Anke’s and my opinion that Dave Ruttenberg runs a clean place and has always taken proactive measures to ensure there’s no drug activity in the place.

15. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 1:27 pm:

“to spend one hour in the company of someone who is not privileged and white and then see if your biases hold true.”

Yea, I have. Nothing is ever their fault, it’s all bad luck, the man is out to get them, ad nauseum.

I guess when you’ve resigned control of your life you can’t expect much, can you?

16. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 1:32 pm:

Incidentally, I’m sick and tired of buying poverty sob stories from people who more likely than not paid $2000 to get smuggled across the border.

17. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:06 pm:

God bless the white man, it’s his America!!!!!!!!

18. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:09 pm:

God bless the people who contribute more to society than they take out of it. How about that?

19. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:12 pm:

Hint: Anyone operating under the idea that “stealing from the west is an OK thing to do because they’re rich” is NOT contributing more to society than they take out of it.

20. Gurduloo said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:26 pm:

anon 2:12 –

You said it.

Wait… are we the west?

21. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:28 pm:

Gurduloo, might I suggest http://www.democraticunderground.com ?

22. Gurduloo said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:43 pm:

That doesn’t explain it at all. Are we west of Mexico? This argument has become very confusing to me!

23. Batson D. Belfrey said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:50 pm:

“Most of us “Whites” have at one point or another.(spent time with the under privileged) It still doesn’t mean that some people can break the law and get away with it.”

Amen, Amen…And let us not forget,some of us WERE under-priviledged early in life. Through hard work, faith in God, believing in the principles that this country was founded on, obeying the law, and most of all, never falling for the trap of victimology spewed by the commie-pinko-lefty-liberals in this country, we pulled ourselves up into the higher socio-economic strata of society. All I ever got was the same opportunity that every legal immigrant or native-born person in this country deserves; a public-funded primary education, a free-market economy, and a chance to make something of myself. That’s all anyone deserves.

24. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 2:58 pm:

Hmm, I wasn’t aware illegal aliens only came from Mexico. Gurduloo, you wouldn’t be engaging in any sort of stereotyping would you???

25. Gurduloo said on 21 Dec 2006 at 3:05 pm:

I’m just trying to figure who the west is, and who is stealing from them!

26. anonymous said on 21 Dec 2006 at 3:19 pm:

Well, the traditional answer is that the west controls all of the wealth and power because they stole it from the rest of the world.

Therefore, all of the poor countries in the world are poor because coutries like the USA, Britain, Germany, etc. stole, lied, cheated, and stole from those poor countries.

Therefore, people from those poor countries, which includes (but certainly is not limited to) places like Mexico are entitled to help themselves to what is rightlfully theirs and take back what has been stolen from them by entering these “western” countries, either illegally or legally, and if done “illegally” it is justified because it wouldn’t be illegal if not for the racist immigration policies of these more powerful and rich countries.

Do you get it now, Gurduloo? This is why I sent you to http://www.democraticunderground.com — they can explain it even better than I can.

27. Greg L said on 21 Dec 2006 at 3:25 pm:

Make sure to wrap your head in duct tape before visiting DU, though. The insanity there is liable to make your head explode and put anyone within close proximity at grave risk. Duct-taping your head is a reasonable precaution to take to reduce the danger to your family, co-workers or others who may be nearby.

But feel free to leave a comment there about how Dick Cheney would make a good president. It would shift much of the risks to regular DU readers, and perhaps improve the quality of the electorate.

28. Citizenofmanassas said on 22 Dec 2006 at 8:41 am:

Wow, I guess IT is still a secret. Well, I guess I should just spill the beans since it seems a liberal has clued into why EVERY SINGLE person of non color(as opposed to people of color) is successful

it is pretty easy to understand why those of non color are successful in life. Early in life, we are provided everything we will need to be successful. We are given a huge of box, that we are not to open until we turn 21.

In the box is a college degree and a PHD from well known schools. We are given keys to a brand new car, and money to purchase a home. Also in the box are a number of retirement tools such as a 401K and an IRA, of course already seeded with a few thousand dollars. And, of course we are given a position in management in a fortune 500 company. And, the best part is that we are then able to pass the box down to our kids.

All that “work” people of non color do until 21 is just for show, since we know what awaits us.