Another Bank Robbery

By Greg L | 22 December 2006 | Crime | 18 Comments

Yet another Manassas area bank was robbed this past Wednesday.  Guess which bank?

Surprise, surprise, surprise, it was another BB&T branch, this time on Centreville Road.  BB&T and the other local bank which thinks that posting “no guns” signs are a good idea, Wachovia Bank, have certainly been doing a good job of demonstrating just how foolish the notion is that these signs enhance safety.  The actual effect that we see consistently demonstrated here is that these signs invite robbery and put customers and the community at risk.

You can read about recent local Wachovia robberies here, and here. BB&T was hit earlier this month and was covered here.  I wouldn’t want to go anywhere near these two banks — they’re clearly a very dangerous place to be.

1. Conservative Culture » We’re Unarmed - Don’t take advantage said on 22 Dec 2006 at 11:55 am:

[…] (Photo Credit: Black Velvet) […]

2. Anonymous said on 22 Dec 2006 at 4:23 pm:

You’ve reached a whole new plateau of stupidity. If you can offer ANY proof WHATSOEVER that banks that don’t allow guns get robbed with more frequency than banks that do allow guns, then I’ll give you some props. Until then, your stupid theories hold absolutely no water. (I can point out literally thousands of banks in the U.S. that have been robbed over the last 10 years that DID allow guns. Does that prove your theory is wrong? Probably. But I’m not going to make some ridiculous argument that banks that allow guns get robbed more often because I don’t have any scientific evidence to prove it.)

3. Greg L said on 22 Dec 2006 at 8:10 pm:

OK, Einstein, then tell me how many Bank of America branches have been robbed during a comparable time period? None. Do they prohibit concealed carry on their premeses? No. And Fauquier Bank? Same thing. Same goes for First Virginia, Chevy Chase and Central Fidelity Bank. This has been going on ever since BB&T and Wachovia went wobbly and prohibited concealed carry a couple of years ago. Soon after the number of robberies at their branches skyrocketed, while it hasn’t changed in any of the other banks.

Yell at me all you want for not personally spending thousands of dollars to do a comprehensive statistical survey of the matter and dealing with local experience rather than statistics. The evidence is clear to anyone not blinded by their unwavering allegiance to the failed cause of gun control.

If you really feel that a “no guns” sign is a good thing, you put one of those “no guns” signs on your home and let me know in a year whether things are the same or different for you. If you don’t, you’re just a coward who refuses to live by the standards he wishes to impose on others.

4. DB said on 24 Dec 2006 at 12:29 am:

Anonymous needs to understand that there reallly are individuals out there who make their way in life as criminals. Those individuals are not stupid. They are simply criminals. Those signs are an invitation to a bank robber. As it obviously would be if you put the same sign on your lawn. I don’t need a study to understand this point. I simply need to have a firm grim on reality and reason.

I carry a concealed weapon in Va. I have a CCW permit. Just today I got ready to walk into a jewelry store and had to turn around and walk back to my car to lock my concealed handgun into the glove compartment because of the same kind of posting. It was a gigantic posting. A green light for the would-be career jewelry store robber. Dummies.

5. Anonymous said on 24 Dec 2006 at 12:00 pm:

This is so full of it. Greg, you can’t take FOUR ROBBERIES and use it as statistical proof that “All banks that don’t allow you to carry a concealed weapon get robbed more than other banks.” That’s like posting that you and Republitarian hate Muslims, so all conservative bloggers hate Muslims.

PS: First Virginia bank is owned by BB&T, dip$%&t.

6. anonymous said on 24 Dec 2006 at 2:56 pm:

Some banks that don’t allow you to carry a concealed weapon get robbed more than other banks.

7. f mcdonald said on 25 Dec 2006 at 8:17 pm:

Off topic:
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

8. Spank That Donkey said on 25 Dec 2006 at 9:01 pm:

“Just today I got ready to walk into a jewelry store and had to turn around and walk back to my car to lock my concealed handgun into the glove compartment because of the same kind of posting.”

Wow, I wouldn’t shop in that jewelry store in the first place. If the owner is so stupid as to think that a criminal who intended on robbing the place would be thwarted by that sign…

Take the cash you would spend there, and join the VCDL!

oh, and Merry Christmas to the Letique family!

9. Not Jack Herrity said on 26 Dec 2006 at 1:58 pm:

Greg, this is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, and I am a proud gun owner. Come back with some statistics and then maybe someone will believe you.

From my short career in banking I remember that the one thing we feared about a robbery was some numbskull in the teller line packing heat. Most bank robberies are about money, not violence. If you do what the thief says, nobody gets hurt, you call the cops and the insurance company, and everything is good with the world. If some idiot customer is packing heat, there is a better chance of violence and that some innocent third party will get hurt. Besides, the average loss in a bank robbery is under $10K, which is a paltry sum for a bank. In fact, it’s their insurance that pays.

NJH

10. DB said on 26 Dec 2006 at 11:30 pm:

NJH, I for one would never intervene in an innocent bystander robbery situation mainly because of the legal and civil liabilities. I keep a hangun at home and one about me when i’m out most places for one reason only and that is for the protection of my life and the life of my family members. Not for the protection of property, not for showmanship, and not for any sense of vigilantism. I think most CCW permit holders would agree with that sentiment.

I think your posting sadly enables the criminal just like the posting outside the bank. You might as well stand at the doorway and handout cash to would-be robbers and save everyone the trouble (since it’s “their insurance” that pays anyways). These people are criminals who have no problems breaking many many laws in the act of using a gun to rob a bank. Why assume that these indivuduals ONLY rob banks? What if the next night they decide on a nice juicy home invasion? If I were that criminal my bet would be on the house that was stupid enough to post a “No Firearms” on their door. I think the onus should be on the criminal here.

DB

11. Anonymous said on 27 Dec 2006 at 9:52 am:

DB–I think it’s sad and frightening that people like you choose to carry a gun on them at all times. I mean, why live your life in such a paranoid and dangerous fashion? Come join the rest of us in normal society and stop fueling the arms race. Yes, there are criminals in this world. But unless you are a drug dealer, a cop, an armored truck driver, or whatnot, chances are very high that your gun will never be used in the way you intend for it to be used, and much likelier to be used in a way you did not intend. And that scares me. Please stay away from the places I go, OK?

12. anonymous said on 27 Dec 2006 at 10:08 am:

Unless you live in Irongate. Then I suggest you carry a gun. And learn spanish.

13. Greg L said on 28 Dec 2006 at 12:20 am:

A significant percentage of Virginians carry defensive firearms, and they do prevent and deter crime. Regardless of your impression of “normal” society, there’s a lot of us out there who understand that criminals respect nothing but strength, that we are ultimately responsible for our own safety and security, and that there are some things, such as our children, which we would not surrender to a criminal in order to make him or her leave us be.

It’s unfortunate that you obtain a benefit because some who would protect themselves also deter crimes against you by their actions. Sheep like you are the reason wolves are able to prowl. Now you do everything in your power to further enable them. Pitiful.

14. Anonymous said on 28 Dec 2006 at 12:58 am:

Do you have the slightest bit of evidence to prove that “defensive firearms” prevent and deter more crimes than they instigate?

15. anonymous said on 28 Dec 2006 at 10:10 am:

DC’s murder rate.

16. Anonymous said on 28 Dec 2006 at 1:48 pm:

So when are you going to start listing all the robberies that happen at VA banks that DO allow guns?

17. Beradcee said on 1 May 2007 at 8:10 pm:

A firearm in the hands of a law abiding citizen who uses it for self defense is, in effect, a safety measure. When you get in your car, what’s the first thing you do?? Put on your seatbelt right?? Why?? By your reasoning, you shouldn’t unless you’re planning on getting in an accident. Why do you have smoke detectors in your house?? In case of fire right?? If your not planning on having a fire then maybe you should get rid of them. People carry firearms just in case there comes a time when they will need them. With the state of things in the world, and everything shown on the ‘news’ , not carrying is not an option for me. Not when it comes to the safety of myself and more important, my family.

18. Anonymous said on 7 Jun 2007 at 5:37 pm:

When we finally get to the point where we outlaw ALL handguns we won’t have to worry about this stupid discussion.