Julie Lucas Expected To Announce For the 51st HOD

By Greg L | 29 January 2007 | 51st HOD District | 25 Comments

Julie LucasJulie Lucas is widely rumored to be an alternative candidate for the Republican nomination in the 51st HOD, and I think she’d be an excellent candidate. With legislative experience on the Prince William County School Board, overlapping precincts in the 51st, and high regard in the party, Julie Lucas would be an well qualified, eminently electable candidate who would serve the 51st district well. An official announcement has not yet been made, which for many Republicans is a nerve-wracking wait which should come to an end sometime after 6PM this evening. An announcement that Julie has filed for the 51st convention will alleviate the concerns many, including myself, clearly have.

If Julie Lucas files, as I expect her to, you can contact her at LucasSchoolBoard@aol.com and at her School Board office at (703) 490-2338 and offer your support. You can also support Julie by mailing a contribution to Julie Lucas for Delegate, PO Box 6145, Woodbridge, VA 22195 She will need a lot of help to overcome Faisal Gill’s early start in fundraising.

Both Ben Tribbet and myself believe that if Faisal Gill receives the nomination the seat will become a Democratic pickup, regardless of who runs as a Democrat, in the 2007 elections. If this is something that you don’t want to see happen, it’s time to make sure that someone else wins.

UPDATE: Riley reports that Julie has indeed filed for the 51st HOD.

UPDATE 2: The email link for Julie has been fixed.

1. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 29 Jan 2007 at 5:47 pm:

She filed.

2. Citizen Tom said on 29 Jan 2007 at 5:48 pm:

Three points:
    1. Julie Lucas is a nice lady, and I agree she would be a good candidate.
    2. Ben Tribbet agreed with you about Faisal Gill based upon what you had posted. The reasoning here takes us back to where we started.
    3. Even if we assume Tribbet still bites on your electability argument, what is the chance he will again assume the information on your web site is reliable?

3. Jonathan Mark said on 29 Jan 2007 at 5:57 pm:

This race doesn’t depend upon Ben Tribbett. Let’s not assign some bloggers magical powers.

The fact is that Julie’s entrance into this race is a groove and a gas, to paraphrase Terry Sothern. Everyone should send her campaign money and other fine things.

4. George said on 29 Jan 2007 at 6:09 pm:

Go Julie!

5. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 29 Jan 2007 at 6:30 pm:

Julie has filed. I have the details from her over on Virtucon.

6. XOF said on 29 Jan 2007 at 8:27 pm:

Please don’t give Ben “the race card” Tribbett credit for anything. I’m starting too think he needs help.

7. Fenian said on 29 Jan 2007 at 8:49 pm:

A friend of mine told me that Lucas is usually pretty conservative on most issues. I cant wait to hear if she has (at least somewhat) a strong stand on illegal immigration. If she does she will get a check and several calls to some friends of mine in her district.

Go Julie Lucas. Please voters of the 51st dont elect one who makes a living defending illegal immigrants. Go Julie Go. This is great news Greg, I was not looking forward to supporting a democrat.

8. James Young said on 29 Jan 2007 at 9:22 pm:

It’d be nice if Julie were considered on her own merits, rather than as the “alternative” candidate. She deserves better than that. Then again, so does Faisal.

9. Jonathan Mark said on 29 Jan 2007 at 9:35 pm:

Julie has two merits which Faisal Gill cannot claim:

(1) Julie has never been the chief lobbyist for the now imprisoned Abdurahman Alamoudi’s American Muslim Council

(2) Julie has never taken out ads directed at illegal aliens who are about to be deported offering to file asylum papers for them.

I hope that Prince William voters will consider these two virtues which Julie possesses. They do matter.

10. charles said on 30 Jan 2007 at 12:08 am:

Greg, you’ll have to post something about Julie Lucas before we can know whether your “endorsement” is of any value. “Not Faisal Gill” won’t cut it, and you’re the only one for whom the primary consideration is “not suing me”.

11. AWCheney said on 30 Jan 2007 at 12:19 am:

At least Julie HAS a public record of votes with her position on the School Board, Charles.

12. Greg L said on 30 Jan 2007 at 12:23 am:

I worked a bit with Julie in support of Republican candidates in my precincts, and had some time to get to know her. She is really sharp, a hard worker, a real people person, and completely dedicated to a republican “big tent” that I think holds the best promise for the future success of the party. While she’s dedicated to traditional republican values, her answer is to engage, inspire and earn consensus, and compromise when we must. She knows Richmond, and will work well with the county delegation.

Having worked with her and seen her in action on the campaign for other republican candidates, I’m pretty certain I’d be supporting her no matter who she might be running against. When her opponent is an inexperienced newbie of a candidate with a questionable past, it only makes this decision easier.

13. Batson D. Belfrey said on 30 Jan 2007 at 6:30 am:

Charles,

Seriously, Lucas is electable. Gil is not. Lucas offers the best chance of keeping the seat. She has won a general election. Why should you vote for her? Because she is a Republican, and she can win.

14. The Skeptic said on 30 Jan 2007 at 6:58 am:

I will second everything Greg stated about Julie Lucas. Julie Lucas has integrity. She is consistent, dedicated to her committments, loyal to the Republican party,
    has a great ethic and is very smart woman. Not only is she electable, she is highly qualified! No Democrat can defeat her but first we’ve got win the Convention.

15. Jonathan Mark said on 30 Jan 2007 at 6:59 am:

“”"“Not Faisal Gill” won’t cut it”"”

This is an example of wishful thinking on Charles’ part. He is making a statement that he wishes were true and asserting, without knowing, that it is true.

Actually, Gill’s lobbying for a terrorist and support for illegal immigrants probably does “cut it” for enough people to matter. In whichever elections Gill runs, there will be people voting AGAINST Faisal Gill because of Gill’s record.

Is Charles telling us that he has never voted against a candidate because of that candidate’s record? I find that hard to believe.

16. Anonymous said on 30 Jan 2007 at 6:37 pm:

Julie Lucas is so much more than “not Faisal”. The news of her entry into this race is the best we could have been given. She is a proven achiever in Prince William and will be such an asset to us in Richmond. We need someone capable of working effectively with others to help build consensus, especially on the immigration issue. Julie has a proven track record that we can look to, not a murky past which includes questionable alliances like the ones currently saddling Faisal Gill. GO JULIE!!

17. charles said on 30 Jan 2007 at 11:04 pm:

I didn’t say she wasn’t. I said that you can’t win the election by being “not Faisal”.

It has nothing to do with wishful thinking. I don’t care about electable. I care about issues.

Actually, this isn’t my district, so I guess it doesn’t really matter to me. But I would guess most people in the district will want to see where the candidates stand on issues.

In case you didn’t notice, we have real enemies out there, many of them in the U.S. Senate. The enemy is storming the gates, and we have people here shooting the footsoldiers instead of manning the towers.

I’m sick of it.

18. charles said on 30 Jan 2007 at 11:05 pm:

Does Lucas have a web site yet?

19. Greg L said on 31 Jan 2007 at 1:03 am:

She has domains reserved, but the website isn’t up yet. I’m pretty sure the idea was to wait until Mike May’s election was over before doing any campaigning.

How refreshing.

20. Jonathan Mark said on 31 Jan 2007 at 5:28 am:

“”"In case you didn’t notice, we have real enemies out there,”"”

Indeed, Abdurahman Alamoudi is serving 23 years in federal prison for terrorist money laundering. I should think that qualifies Abdurahman Alamoudi as one of those “real enemies.”

“”"The enemy is storming the gates, and we have people here shooting the footsoldiers”"”

To follow your analogy, we should shoot (metaphorically only!!!!!!!!!) the enemy’s (Abdurahman Alamoudi’s) footsoldiers. Gill was a footsolder for Alamoudi. Gill was the chief lobbyist for Abdurahman Alamoudi’s American Muslim Council.

“”"I’m sick of it.”"”

Then go cower in a corner or something while we defend America from the imprisoned Alamoudi’s foot soldier/chief lobbyist Faisal Gill.

21. Stryder said on 31 Jan 2007 at 6:52 pm:

“Someone might get the wrong impression that I have endorsed a candidate in this race. I have not. If anybody attacks Lucas falsely I will defend her as I did Faisal.”

But won’t that distract you from your quest to cast the ring of power, into the fires of Mordor?

22. pwcman said on 1 Feb 2007 at 2:15 pm:

There we go again, people here would prefer to vote even for a “dummy” as long as that “dummy”runs against Faisla Gill.I bet if Jeffery Dhamer(if he was alive)ran against Faisal Gill, all of you racist would endorse him rather than faisal. Just a thought.

23. Jonathan Mark said on 2 Feb 2007 at 6:14 pm:

“”".I bet if Jeffery Dhamer(if he was alive)ran against Faisal Gill, all of you racist would endorse him rather than faisal. “”"

Faisal Gill is attempting to make history by adapting the race card for use by Republicans against other Republicans. “Vote for Faisal or else you are a racist.”

Once it works for Faisal it will work for his law partner Asim Ghafoor, who is a prominent advocate of imposing Sharia law in the USA.

What, you don’t like special dhimmi taxes for non-Moslems? Well, you are obviously a racist to oppose Asim Ghafoor. It is racist to oppose Sharia law. Racist! And you are all racist to oppose Faisal Gill as well!

It amazes me that anyone thinks Gill is electable with this crockola. Most Gill supporters who post here, except for James Young, accuse Gill opponents of racism.

Young merely accuses us of “guilt by association.” Association with who? With Moslems. But James Young is too genteel to say it.

24. CONVA said on 2 Feb 2007 at 8:45 pm:

I am not on the 51st but Julie is by far the best of the two candidates and I will do anything I am able to for her campaign. I closed my cneck book for those who endorsed Gill, but it is now open for Julie.

25. mohammad said on 5 Feb 2007 at 2:24 pm:

I could care less who Asim Ghafoor is …. there are hundreds of muslim americans living in pwc who don’t give flying *…… what Asim thinks? As long as Faisal is not extremest, which I’m sure he is not, my vote is for him. American muslims are law abiding citizens. They have all the rights to be part of the government.