No More Apologies

By Greg L | 25 February 2007 | Virginia Politics | 7 Comments

When the General Assembly passed a resolution expressing Virginia’s “regret” for participating in the slavery up until about 150 years ago, I figured this was another “ho hum” feel-good piece of liberal angst management that I’d never find a reason to write about. Yawn. Is there anyone else out there who might feel better if we apologized to someone else? By all means, let’s apologize to the gay whales if it’ll give some poor, tortured soul somewhere the slimmest modicum of relief. Or not.

So I’m driving out to the store, listening to WMAL’s pet liberal Jerry Kline opine on this “momentous” event, and out it comes: this isn’t some sort of victory for Virginia, for african-americans, or anyone like that. It’s a victory for the reparations movement. That’s right, the folks who think it’s good public policy for us to start cutting checks out of the Virginia treasury to folks based on their race, in repayment for something, albeit horrible, that happened so long ago that no one knows anyone who suffered under it. It’s not about an apology, it’s about getting your own cut of the state’s treasury based on your race. Wonderful.

The gay whales can go to hell. I’m done with apologies if this is what they’re going to be used for.

1. Tom James said on 25 Feb 2007 at 5:41 pm:

Your learning Grasshopper.

2. johnmaxfield said on 25 Feb 2007 at 6:13 pm:

They will never get an apology on this ” “ho hum” feel-good piece of liberal angst management” from me.

Apologies stop here. Just like the buck. And I don’t mean a horned, for legged animal…

3. citizenofmanassas said on 25 Feb 2007 at 7:42 pm:

This is such a shame. Of course you can imagine if one of our elected officials voted against this resolution. They might as well put in their resignation. Of course that is exactly what the PC police want. To be the first State to do such a thing is down right embarrassing. Not even those liberal Northeast States have done something this stupid, what does that say?

At a time when personal responsibility is at an all time low in this Country, people who have nothing to be ashamed off, and had nothing to do with slavery, have to “apologize”.

At one time Virginia produced great men of honor who lead the Commonwealth. Not anymore.

4. Lars Wiechmann said on 26 Feb 2007 at 4:21 am:

I think this is one of those very sensitive issues that doesn’t divide people by party affiliation or even by liberal or conservative standards. What this does, however, is divide those that refuse to let any emotion or feelings get in the way of how they feel about policy, and those that tend to wear their heart on their sleeves sometimes. Having said that, let me admit right out of the box, I tend to be an emotional guy. I’m real compassionate about certain social issues. The problem is that in many instances, it will conflict with my lifelong conservative/libertarian policy.

On this opposition to the slavery contrition resolution, I’ve got to disagree with everything I’ve read here. I don’t see the harm in any of this; in fact I’m proud that the Commonwealth of Virginia is the first to pass such a resolution. We have the 400th Anniversary of Jamestown this year. A big part of this celebration will be a focus on our history of slavery, as tourists from literally all over the world will be moving up and down the Route 5 corridor along the James River from Shockoe Slip in Richmond on into Jamestown to see our nation’s original settlement. I lived in that area for a few years. If you’ve ever spent any time in that area, there is no denying that the slavery issue is still very much on the minds of many people there. I will never forget the first day I moved into a little pre-Civil War farmhouse along Route 5 and the ladies from the neighborhood brought me biscuits and fresh fruit and talked about people from their families who have lived there for generations…and yes…their relatives were slaves. They talked about them like they knew them personally – and after their stories I felt like I knew them personally (they called the Civil War the “recent unpleasantness” for Christ’s sake).

I don’t know. Maybe this is one of those times where I can say that Northern Virginia doesn’t understand Central Virginia and Southside…but I am from Northern Virginia…born and raised. All I am asking for in this rant is this – think of all the goodwill this resolution will bring…and where is the harm?

5. citizenofmanassas said on 26 Feb 2007 at 11:27 am:

Where is the harm? As I said at a time when nobody wants to accept personal responsibility we have a GA passing this BS resolution. People want to blame their parents for how they turned out. Some blacks want to blame the legacy of slavery for the many social ills that plague the black community in this Nation, which of course takes all personal responsibility for criminal conduct away from the person and puts on someone or something else. The next step will be to push for the GA to give millions of dollars to show just how sadden they are that slavery once was legal in Virginia.

Let us not forget that if it were not for the African tribal warfare the enslavement of Africans might not have happened in the first place. Yet, where are demands for African Nations to apologize for rounding up fellow Africans and selling them?

There will be no push for that because those that are bent on getting reparations do not care to bring up that ugly side of slavery.

6. Anonymous said on 2 Mar 2007 at 7:59 am:

I totally oppose reparations. But, Citizenofmanassas, your knowledge of history is just, well, terrible. We don’t demand that African nations apologize for rounding up fellow Africans and selling them largely because those African nations did not exist when this was happening. The U.S., on the other hand, essentially wrote slavery into its constitution and continued to practice it decades after it had been abolished in the British Empire (then a significant chunk of the world). To make matters worse, in the American Civil War states like Virginia fought on the side that not only wanted to preserve slavery, but actually extend it in the West. The U.S. practically perfected race-based, chattel slavery, something far different than the conflict-driven type historic to black Africa. Finally, it was the European arrival on the African coast and the incentives they gave (including firearms) to the previously weaker coastal tribes that spurred these tribes to raid the historically stronger inland tribes in order to sell them to the Europeans as slaves. Slavery as we know it certainly could have existed without Africans raiding Africans (though not to the same degree), but it could not have existed without the Europeans and Americans. In short, the ugly side of slavery is the almost unique race-based system developed nearly to perfection in the U.S. by states like Virginia. That’s why apologizing makes sense. Your comments beg the question, “are you smarter than a 5th grader?”

7. Lynn Cohen said on 20 Mar 2007 at 2:27 pm:

Isn’t there a statute of limitations? Can we get on with the future already? So much money goes into trying to fix things America has done in the past. Can we maybe put some of that “feel good” money into things for our future like say education? Ya this isn’t PC, but really none of us are responsible for things done to and by our ancestors, so maybe we should focus on people alive today and people who will be alive tomorrow. I’d vote no.