video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Mike Messier Tries To Buy Some Votes

By Greg L | 27 February 2007 | Prince William County | 19 Comments

I thought I had heard everything. At tonight’s PWCRC meeting, Mike Messier, candidate for PWC Sheriff told the committee that if elected, he would donate $10,000 to the county Republican committee. When I spoke with Glen Hill later on, he said he would decline raising the bribe to $11,000. At least one candidate gets it.

That was about the dumbest thing I think I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard a lot of dumb things. Is that legal?

1. Batson D. Belfrey said on 27 Feb 2007 at 9:11 am:

That is the only way that Messier will get any votes. There is no way that he wins the primary. Hill is very popular, while Messier carries a lot of stink from his time as Stoffregen’s right-hand man.

2. Anonymous said on 27 Feb 2007 at 10:38 am:

Is the Republican Party still the party of law and order fiscal conservatives?

Not if you look at Glendell Hill’s record.

Sheriff Wilson C. Garrison, Jr. (D) (1984 – 1995) Modernized the sheriff’s office, started a fugitive squad, started the child I.D. program, computerized the sheriff’s office, started escorting funerals, started a rank structure, updated equipment, gave free gun locks for gun safety, never had a budget close to 7 million dollars.

Sheriff E. Lee Stoffregen, III (D) (1996 – 2003) Achieved Virginia Law Enforcement Accreditation, started child mentoring, established senior citizen programs, tried to make the streets safe by running radar to slow down speeders and aggressive drivers, had deputies respond to major crimes to get a quicker response to these crimes, never had a budget close to 7 million dollars.

Sheriff Glendell Hill (R) (2004 – 2007) Reduced his workload by cutting services to the people, collected some cell phones, collected some money for the Red Cross to buy a trailer, bought tasers to shock unruly people in the courtroom, bought a golf cart so deputies could ride around the court complex, has a budget well over 7 million dollars and wants a 9 million dollar budget.

We know by the increase in crime, and the record Glendell established, he is not in office to serve and protect, or to make Prince William County a safe and better place to live. The question that needs to be answered is, “Why does Glendell want to hold this office”? Is it so he can aimlessly roam around the halls of the courthouse and collect over $460 thousand dollars just for holding this office for four years?

3. Greg L said on 27 Feb 2007 at 11:01 am:

Nice try. Stoffregen was thrown out of office by voters fed up with his antics, and was indicted for grand larceny and embezzlement. Glen Hill has restored honor to the department and stopped Stoffregen’s attempts to transition the department into a personal political feifdom. Now Stoffregen’s number chief deputy, who was a Democrat four years ago, is running as Republican and openly trying to buy votes from the county Republican committee so he can restore the failed policies of a Democrat who was run out of office.

Last night Glen Hill received standing ovations and was interrupted six times by applause. Messier got a reception that I’d characterize as “polite” and left committee members absolutely stunned at his utterly brazen attempt to buy votes. This guy could well challenge the leader in the current “worst candidate” poll.

Messier’s campaign slogan could well be “If you liked Stoffregen, you’ll love me!” It’s akin to seeing someone try to run on the legacy of Richard Nixon. It’s utterly pathetic. Bug, meet windshield.

Now that Messier has become so adept at shooting himself in the foot, and has someone watching the blogs on his behalf, I should pay more attention to this race.

4. Anonymous said on 27 Feb 2007 at 11:26 am:

The sad thing is you cannot tell me why Glendell wants this office other than for the money. It sure is not for public service or public safety.

5. Greg L said on 27 Feb 2007 at 12:02 pm:

Actually I’m absolutely convinced that Glendell Hill is running for office in order to improve the community and end the legacy of corruption and political games that were the hallmark of Stoffregen’s reign as the top-law-enforcement-dog wannabe. The guy is absolutely above reproach, and anyone who tries to challenge his ethics is going to run into a political chainsaw.

But just keep trying to smear Glendell Hill as part of your campaign. Let’s see if we can make this landslide even bigger.

6. Anonymous said on 27 Feb 2007 at 12:18 pm:

It is not a smear. Look at his record. If you look at the pubilc service records of the two sheriffs prior to Glendell, and then looked at Glendell’s record, you too would say he’s a Republician?

7. freedom said on 27 Feb 2007 at 1:00 pm:

I used to get a real kick out of seeing Stoffregen’s ad as a Real Estate agent in the paper; if you recall it said, “Prince William County Sheriff, retired.” Yep, “retired,” alright.

Talk about inmates guarding the cell-block, that be him!!

8. Greg L said on 27 Feb 2007 at 1:01 pm:

As a candidate for the Republican nomination, I would think you’d actually be able to SPELL the word Republican. How much more of your vanishingly minuscule credibility do you want to flush down the toilet today?

9. Anonymous said on 27 Feb 2007 at 1:23 pm:

I didn’t know I was a candidate for any office. I am a Republican concerned about the candidates we have in office. If you look at the records of some of the people that have held office prior to the people we have in office now, you have to say, we can do much better.

10. Michael Messier said on 27 Feb 2007 at 2:54 pm:

Greg and Batson,

If you would rather meet with me sooner, I am a member of All Saints Church in Manassas and I attend Mass on Saturday night at 5:30pm or on Sunday at 7:30am. Maybe we could meet at church prior to mass. Or we could meet after mass on Saturday for a bite to eat at Tony’s Restaurant in Manassas.

I do work bingo with the Knights of Columbus and let me know a Sunday we can meet before, during, or after bingo.

Mike Messier
    (703) 595-6495
    www.messierforsheriff.com

11. Henry said on 27 Feb 2007 at 2:57 pm:

You go Greg L. - Anonymous, you are either his wife, or somebody dumb enough to believe the apple really does fall far from the tree.
    Here’s a re-cap:
    “I can cut 3 million from that 9 million dollar budget”
    = Brazen lie ( no integrity)
    “I will write a check for $10,000 to the Republican Committee”
    = Bribery (corruption)
    That’s 2 out of 3 - steal some money from the people, and he’ll be just like Lee.

12. George said on 27 Feb 2007 at 3:55 pm:

Was the vote held for the vice-chair position last night?

13. Batson D. Belfrey said on 27 Feb 2007 at 5:17 pm:

“Sorry I missed you last night at the meeting and please stop by to visit with me at the next meeting in March so we can talk. I would love to introduce myself to you and talk about my visions for the Sheriff’s Office, the County, the Cities, and life in general as a Pro-life Republican.”

Sure, I’ll meet you at Mass. Look for me. I’ll be the one wearing the “Re-elect Hill” button. Do your visions include selling reserve deputy badges like your former boss? I want to strap on a gun, pin on a badge, and be a LAWMAN. Honey, where’s my checkbook? I need to donate to the Messier campaign!

If you don’t see me at Mass, look in your rearview mirror. I’ll be the one laughing my head off, when I read your “honest man” bumper sticker.

If you don’t see me in your rearview, wait until the night of the primary. I’ll be the one handing you the tissue, as you give your concession speech, and wishing you luck as you head on back to Fairfax.

14. Grayson said on 27 Feb 2007 at 6:00 pm:

Thank you Anonymous for having the courage to bring our current sheriff’s record to light. I know he has not accomplished very much for the community. We need to return to electing leaders with a vision for the office they are elected to hold and want to serve the people. We cannot judge a person by another persons acts. We have to accept them for who they are.

15. Zak said on 27 Feb 2007 at 6:15 pm:

What a bunch of dumb asses! Dig a little deeper into Hill’s
    “record” and you’re apt to discover this is the most dishonest
    thug in PWC. He has always been out for himself and I don’t
    expect he will change, not in this life time. You’re talking to
    the wrong people if you expect to get the low down on this guy.

16. charles said on 27 Feb 2007 at 8:20 pm:

Yes, there was a vice-chair election last night. After the vote, but before the results were announced, Trent Barton moved that we elect Denny Daugherty by acclimation, which the committee did.

Denny Daugherty is the new Vice Chair of the committee.

17. Turn PW Blue said on 27 Feb 2007 at 9:30 pm:

Let’s keep in mind that the Sheriff’s office in jurisdictions with a police department has very specific duties–chiefly, transporting prisoners, serving warrants, and protecting the Court House. Lee Stoffregen was voted out of office because he tried to create a police force loyal to him and him alone. He undermined the relationship between the Sheriff’s office and the police department. Heck, I voted for Hill (the only time in 20 years I’ve voted for a Republican).

And please, what does being a “Pro-life Republican” have to do with being Sheriff?

18. Sad but True said on 5 Mar 2007 at 5:44 pm:

Gents,

Lets get something straight. Sheriff Hill hardly shows for work. The office is a disgrace, deputies are not allowed to write tickets ( in fact they are punished if they do ), they never back oup police ( not allowed ) and haev ZERO community service programs. Since Hill is the Chief of Police’s lackey as well as the county, the money flows. This sheriffs office does the bare minimum to get by, with a yearly bigger and bigger budget. I have no love for Stoffregen or Messsier, but facts are facts, Hill is do nothing that believes if you do nothing, how can they say you did something wrong, his motto at our department should be, promise no mistakes by doing absolutely nothing. Next thing we can save money on is bullets, who need um, we are a joke to the PD, they stuffed us back into the clown show box that Garrison made for us. The voter thinks things are better, how could they be, we do zip, I am embarrassed for all of us. The above blogs are silly, the citizens of this county should call the police and place a robbery report for the tax dollars being wasted on this fake law enforcement agency, the sheriff is more like sheriff Fife and Sheriff, really, this is the inside deal

19. No need to go there said on 19 Mar 2007 at 2:56 pm:

Okay then “Zak”, I guess your the right guy to talk to then to get the low down on this guy. So let’s hear it, pretty strong remarks calling him the most dishonest “thug” in PWC without a little proof wouldn’t you say? Espcially considering what Stroffanoggle did.