SBE Complaint To Be Filed

By Greg L | 28 February 2007 | PWCRC, Prince William County | 16 Comments

I intend to file a complaint with the State Board of Elections in regards to the actions of candidate for Prince William County Sheriff Mike Messier’s during the Prince William County Republican Committee meeting on Monday, February 26th at the Ferlazzo Government Center in Woodbridge. If any committee members who were present that evening would like to join with me in this filing, please let me know. Here are the particulars:

During that meeting, Mike Messier made the following statement to the more than one hundred members in attendance while delivering a campaign speech:

“If I am elected, my first act will be to donate ten thousand dollars to the Prince William County Republican Committee”

This is a clear violation of Virginia Code §24.2-1007, which states:

§ 24.2-1007. Soliciting or accepting bribe to influence or procure vote.

No person shall solicit or accept directly or indirectly any money or any thing of value to influence his or another’s vote in any election. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section applies to any election and to any method used by a political party for selection of its nominees and for selection of delegates to its conventions and meetings.

(Code 1950, §§ 24-405, 24-452; 1952, c. 4; 1970, c. 462, § 24.1-272; 1976, c. 616; 1993, c. 641.)

Often, something this brain-dead would just merit heaps of ridicule so the voters would have an opportunity to directly render their verdict. Given the outrageous behavior of Mike Messier’s supporters on this site, I’d rather not wait until a June primary to have that verdict rendered. If ridicule won’t stop this, perhaps action by the State Board of Elections can.

In terms of disclosure, I have not spoken with Messier’s opponent Glendell Hill in regards to this complaint, nor am I connected in any way with Sheriff Glendell Hill’s campaign.

UPDATE: A complaint was faxed to the Commonwealth Attorney’s office at approximately 4:50PM.

1. RHarrison said on 28 Feb 2007 at 12:16 pm:

Greg,

Did anyone “solicit or accept” money here? It looks to me as though offering a bribe is legal, so long as it is not taken. I’m not a lawyer, but it doesn’t sound to me like Mr. Messier broke the letter of this law.

On the other hand, what he did was stupid, wrong and an insult to the committee. Usually it bothers me when Republicans do things this dumb, but then I remembered that Messier isn’t really a Republican.

2. AWCheney said on 28 Feb 2007 at 12:17 pm:

“No person shall solicit or accept directly or indirectly any money or any thing of value to influence his or another’s vote in any election.”

Greg, unless there is another section of the code which addresses the offer of a bribe rather than the solicitation of one, this does not apply to Messier…only to anyone foolish enough to accept his offer. I really don’t think that you have to worry about him, however: The offer itself and the manner in which it was made should be enough for anyone to question not only his ethics, but the soundness of his mind.

3. AWCheney said on 28 Feb 2007 at 12:20 pm:

Great minds RH…..;-)

4. Greg L said on 28 Feb 2007 at 12:25 pm:

Good point. Would this apply? I also noted that complaints have to go to the commonwealth attorney, and not the SBE.

§ 24.2-1005. Bribery, intimidation, etc., of person receiving ballot.

Any person who (i) by threats, bribery, or other means in violation of the election laws, attempts to influence any person in giving his vote or ballot or by such means attempts to deter him from voting; (ii) furnishes a ballot to a person who he knows cannot understand the language in which the ballot is printed and misinforms him as to the content of the ballot with an intent to deceive him and induce him to vote contrary to his desire; or (iii) changes a ballot of a person to prevent the person from voting as he desired, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

5. AWCheney said on 28 Feb 2007 at 12:39 pm:

“Any person who (i) by threats, BRIBERY, or other means in violation of the election laws, attempts to influence any person in giving his vote or ballot…”

It’s far more applicable than the previous section, Greg.

6. Batson D.Belfrey said on 28 Feb 2007 at 12:49 pm:

I guess this supports my argument from the previous thread, that Messier is too stupid to be our Sheriff. Maybe he didn’t know that his boss was a crooked cop. That said, I don’t want a stupid and ignorant Sherrif, so no way Messier get’s my vote.

Question: Is Messier the dumbest candidate for office that we have ever had, or is he just dumb?

7. Had to Say said on 28 Feb 2007 at 6:10 pm:

I believe old Stevie boy gets the honor for the dumbest candidate for office

8. TheOldTown Observer said on 28 Feb 2007 at 9:42 pm:

Greg,
    If there is any alledged wrong doing by a Republican candidate, the Commonwealth’s Attorney, who is a Democrat, will appoint a Special Prosecutor to investigate the allegations, just like the “Stevie Chapman” case. I would be suprised if he were gettin’ involved in a Republican dispute.

9. Greg L said on 28 Feb 2007 at 9:48 pm:

In the Chapman case, the nolle prossed the felony charges and the misdemeanor charges have lingered inactive to the point that they probably can’t continue the case. Vigorous prosecution of these cases hasn’t been typical at all.

But the complaint is in, and we’ll see what happens. I’m not expecting much, but I’ve done my duty as a citizen. We’ll see if Ebert does his.

10. compassionate conservative said on 1 Mar 2007 at 6:28 am:

Greg,

Thank you for taking up this cause! You are making a stand to protect the party and voters. This was a very stupid statement, but it did sound off the cuff. If this was the case, I would hate to see Mr. Messier prosecuted for just saying something stupid, but if it was planned, he committed a criminal act.

Either way, I would like to see him drop out of the race.

11. Anonymous said on 1 Mar 2007 at 5:43 pm:

I see Glendell Hill has his minions are hard at work!! If you cannot run on your record (because it is so bad) to get re-elected, file trumped up charges against our opponent.

It is one thing to make trumped up charges against a candidate in the other party, it is completely different thing to make trumped up charges against someone in your own party.

This is a sad day for all Republicans.

We need to stop this nonsense.

12. Greg L said on 1 Mar 2007 at 6:18 pm:

Sheriff Hill had nothing to do with the filing of my complaint. If you want to accuse me of secretly coordinating with Glen Hill, I’d urge you to think carefully before you make such allegations. I sort of have a track record regarding candidates who are unfit for office, and Messier is rapidly moving from the “I’m amused by his chutzpa” column into “For the sake of our democracy I intend to bury him” column.

The nonsense here is coming from your side. So far I haven’t seen any substantiation whatsoever for the outrageous smears that have been leveled against Hill. You either back this crap up, or I promise I will bury Messier’s inane campaign under the kind of negative commentary that has derailed candidates far more competent and credible than this errand boy for the corrupt and now reviled Democrat Lee Stoffregen.

He offered a bribe. Don’t you think someone would complain about this?

13. Grayson said on 1 Mar 2007 at 10:40 pm:

No. Say it isn’t so. Glendell Hill’s thugs making threats and trumped up charges?

14. Greg L said on 1 Mar 2007 at 11:20 pm:

Actually, I have more than a hundred witnesses who can testify to these “trumped up charges”. What have you offered to substantiate yours?

I’m still waiting…

15. Anonymous said on 3 Mar 2007 at 6:09 am:

It’s amazing to me that $10,000 is the amount that the Stoffregan/Messier crowd always charges for their schemes. They have somehow decided that this is the magic number that will corrupt people in Prince William…nothing more, nothing less. It used to be $10,000 got you a badge to pull people over or do whatever you want pretty much….now that’s all the PWRC gets (as a group) to vote in mass to re-install the old regime? Man…..why did they get so cheap now that their new project is infiltrating the GOP? Bring back the good’ole days when after a $10,000 payment to them, we at least got to pull people over for speeding on the PW Parkway if we felt like it because we had a BADGE……and then on Friday afternoons, got to use the siren when we were late for happy hour.