A First Look At John Myers

By Greg L | 8 April 2007 | 28th VA Senate | 10 Comments

Jim Riley has posted an interview with 28th Senate District candidate John Myers who at least can give a decent email interview, although this race hasn’t yet fleshed out many of the themes which I expect will help differentiate the candidates from each other. Thus, there aren’t a whole lot of very interesting questions to ask, nor much in the way of informative answers yet. Still, this is a good start, and allows voters to at least get some idea where candidates like this are coming from.

It’s my understanding that the candidate that Chichester was initially supporting, Cord Sterling, has decided not to run and is backing John Myers instead. Does this make John Myers the candidate of the faction of the party most opposed to actual Republican policy objectives? Or is he simply the candidate who wants to hyphenate the word “conservative” in some fashion so as to appease Chichester allies while somehow pursuing a conservative agenda? The term “practical conservative” has been removed from his website, but it’s earlier appearance doesn’t exactly inspire my confidence. My take from his website is that there’s not much that is reliably conservative in this candidate’s policy objectives, and he is inspired more by Chichester’s penchant to “reach across the aisle” in order to to join majorities rather than being guided by principle, and actually fight for Republican policy objectives. I’ll be interested to see how this fleshes out, since this initial impression may not last throughout the the campaign, depending on how he does.

I’m still expecting a stronger performance in this race to be delivered by John Van Hoy. I’m also looking forward to seeing more close scrutiny of the candidates so we can get a better idea about how they would intend to govern.  So far, there’s little to go on.

1. Dave Hawtin said on 8 Apr 2007 at 8:32 pm:

I don’t know where the above writer gets his information but I know Jonathon as a conservative and holds the values of a true conservative. Unlike Chichester who was once a Democrat and changed his political affiliation, Jonathon is and always has been a true Republican. Check out his web site at jon@jonmyers.org. Don’t try to paint him as a devious politician for whatever gain you feel you need to achieve. In fact, he is not a politician but rather a proven leader in a variety of roles who will take this experience to Richmond and the state will be better for it.

2. Greg L said on 8 Apr 2007 at 9:23 pm:

I would be relieved to see this be the case, but the information I have leaves me wanting for proof. Additionally the statements on his website regarding illegal immigration are weak and meaningless, which makes me doubt his intent to do anything other than pay lip service to the problem.

The information that Cord Sterling is supporting him comes from Mr. Myers himself. He seems to believe that this is an important endorsement, since it is the only one he supplied me.

3. Ed C. said on 8 Apr 2007 at 11:13 pm:

Given the three (that I know of) choices for the 28th, Jon Myers is the easy pick for leader in my opinion. I disagree with the Greg L. blog above. I read the same information he refers to, and I didn’t come away with his reactions at all. Greg seems to think Myers wouldn’t stand up to political pressure or is some kind of RHINO?? Puhlease! Myers has a Bronze Star from fighting in Iraq! What fatcat politician in Richmond is going to scare a Marine combat veteran?? I know the other two candidates also having been involved in Stafford’s political teams for a decade now. One is a bit of a flip-flopper and one is easily angered and loses focus quickly. Having made my choice already for this primary May 19, 2007, any of our GOP guys would still be better than yet another tax-and-spend Democrat. Let’s all at least get on that page after the primary shall we? Until then, may the best candidate win!

4. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 9 Apr 2007 at 11:11 am:

For the record, Scott Hirons conducted and posted the interview with Myers.

5. Semper fi said on 16 Apr 2007 at 8:03 am:

Once again someone is posting their version of “facts” without actually checking their validity. Jonathan is a Conservative. Unlike others in this race, he has proven his leadership in combat and been awarded the Bronze Star by the USMC. If Reagan were alive, I am sure it would be Myers he would support–not Van Hoy. The problem within the Republican party today is that self proclaimed thought police are out dictating who is, and who is not a conservative based on their whims rather than the facts.

If you want to talk about a liberal, John Van Hoy is your man. Check his financial history and you will see that he spends more than he takes in–thus bankruptcy. Is this the kind of irresponsible freespender you want for your Senator? I sure do not.

6. The Few, The Proud said on 18 Apr 2007 at 12:41 am:

Agreed with you Semper Fi. They don’t give out Bronze Stars for selling cookies. Myers is a conservative Republican if ever there was one, but also open minded enough and rational thinking enough to work with any one in his district. I’ve met him three times in the past year or so, and always I challenged his opinion just for kicks. He kept his cool under fire and always listened even even we were disagreeing which I fully respected and told him so afterward. He’s an honest man with integrity. That’s rare in politicians, common in true leaders, and the cornerstone of being a Marine. After all, we elect him for the party, but the district has to like him enough to elect him to represent everyone in November. Neither Graziano or Van Hoy have what it takes to win a state race IMHO (having met both at the recent Stafford GOP meeting during the big fight to have a primary). If Myers stays on track, he could be our senator for a long long time.

7. Jim G. said on 29 Apr 2007 at 12:35 am:

Jon Myers has earned my vote. But I’d be happy with any one who was NOT endorsed by John Chicheater.

8. Not Greg said on 4 May 2007 at 8:37 pm:

Myers is the one of four who has his act together. Looks like a young guy though, Anybody has to be better than John Chichester.

9. Dan said on 5 May 2007 at 6:23 pm:

Myers is the easy choice. He’s conservative but not rigid. Has anyone seen him speak? He’s really funny. When he was in the Northern Neck someone asked him how he thought he’d beat Al Pollard. Jon answered, “I’ll pick up trash from the Northern Neck to Stafford.” Obviously poking fun at the fact that everyone always comments on him picking up trash and what a tough campaigner he is. I think we all can use a little humor and optimism in our day.

10. Matt said on 9 May 2007 at 3:18 pm:

I have a problem with someone who can’t even take the time to spell an individuals name right….it’s J-O-N.

So far comments have:

7 in favor of Jon
    2 not

If I were a betting man….