Fireworks In The 28th

By Greg L | 24 April 2007 | 28th VA Senate | 10 Comments

Joe Graziano, one of the candidates seeking the Republican nomination in the 28th District, is none to happy with Speaker Howell’s recent endorsement of late entry Richard Stuart. Stuart completed part of one term as Commonwealth Attorney on the Northern Neck, and apparently thinks he’s in a position to compete with Pollard, since that’s Pollard’s base of support.

“Bill Howell’s shocking endorsement of Stuart, a moderate from the Northern Neck will certainly be looked upon as nothing short of a sickening betrayal by conservatives. Howell’s behavoir throughout the nominating process has been odd, to put it mildly. At first he did nothing, when the GOP really needed his involvement. Now, 25 days from the primary, he endorses a late entry into the race after declaring his neutrality.

First, we were asked to stomach Howell’s jumbled mess of a transportation bill. Now our Delegate from Stafford asks conservatives to support Chichester clone from the Northern Neck. If Bill Howell wanted to start a war between moderates and conservatives in the 28th district race, he has certainly succeeded. In private conversation with me, Howell stated it was Virginia Beach Senator Ken Stolle’s efforts which brought Stuart into the race. Apparently, Stolle (himself in a primary versus a conservative challenger), was able to talk Howell into joining him. Stuart, Chichester, Howell and Stolle, quite a recipe for distaster in November. I hope Bill Howell understands, this is a betrayal conservative Republicans won’t soon forget.”

I’m not quite sure what to make of this, but this field is getting awfully crowded, awfully quickly.

1. Dirk said on 24 Apr 2007 at 5:20 pm:

What is the deal with Howell? I thought he declared he was neutral? Maybe Chichester leaned on him reminding him of a past debt? I don’t know how Howell can endorse a RINO like Stuart. Does he want another moderate in the seat to screw things up in the Senate so he can look inept again?

2. Chris said on 24 Apr 2007 at 5:47 pm:

What makes Stuart a RINO?

3. Dirk said on 24 Apr 2007 at 6:18 pm:

Hmmmm…..I don’t know….could it be that in all the contributions he has given, 60% has ended up in Democrat hands? Check it out on VPAP: http://vpap.org/donors/results_level2.cfm?key=INP000268856&Year=All&CandFilter=A

Republican: $300 (40%)
    Democrat: $450 (60%)

The real kicker here is that he gave money to Al Pollard! How is that for a ringing endorsement of your opponent! RINO alert!

4. Chrisun said on 24 Apr 2007 at 6:53 pm:

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I can take a moderate thats a loyal conservative. This guy also gave money to Warner’s Inaguration!

I wasn’t trying to be flippant above, I really wanted to know. This is unreal.

Graziano, Meyers, Van Hoy . . . I doesn’t matter. ANYONE but this guy.

5. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 24 Apr 2007 at 10:27 pm:

Never mind Warner’s inauguration. This guy gave to Pollard who is the Dem candidate for this seat!

6. Chris said on 24 Apr 2007 at 10:29 pm:

To clarify, I mean to say “I can take a moderate that is a loyal REPUBLICAN”

7. Dirk said on 25 Apr 2007 at 8:54 am:

“I am not ultra, ultra conservative. I am pro-life, I support the Second Amendment, and taxes to me are a last resort. But I would never say never,” Stuart said.”

“”No one person is going to have the support of all the members of our party,” Chichester said yesterday.

“He said he’s backing Stuart because Stuart’s fiscal philosophies are in line with his own, and because he’s an independent thinker.”

Check it out: http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/042007/04252007/278753/index_html?page=1

8. Chris said on 25 Apr 2007 at 12:02 pm:

John Van Hoy website is up:

Incidently, is anyone going to throw a fit over Russ Moulton endorsing Van Hoy despite other GOP candidates in the field?

9. Jim G. said on 29 Apr 2007 at 12:48 am:

Russ Moulton is the one who tried unsuccessfully to rig the primary election in the first place (to not be an election), so it’s not surprise he would front a candidate. Had he been successful however, we would have no chance of having a turncoat lawyer in the mix who ‘could’ win, so in one way, he would have done us a favor- not a service to democracy or the American way- but a favor to the 28th no less by not having a secret POLLARD SUPPORTER on the ballot!! Vanhoy seems all right enough alone but being that he is a plant of a person who would take away my OPTION of choosing a candidate altogether– Jon Myers is the one I’m voting for. He fought for democracy as a US Marine and I have full confidence in his ability to lead us in Richmond. Check out his website, which has been up for a long time now: http://www.votejonmyers.com . He is a true conservative and has no strings that I’m aware of being pulled by someone else.

10. Jim G. said on 29 Apr 2007 at 12:52 am:

Having said that I support Myers as a vote, I also fully agree with Graziano’s statement above if he really said all that. Bill Howell is a bum in my book now. I just disagreed with him before on a lot of things but now he’s gone way too far. He’s just a politician now and quit representing MY INTERESTS a long time ago JUST LIKE CHICHESTER did. PLEASE don’t forget these two clowns when you vote on May the 19 and in November the 6.