Webb Staffer Avoids Prosecution

By Greg L | 27 April 2007 | US Senate | 16 Comments

I see that Democratic politics are alive and well in Washington, DC, with the dismissal of all charges against Senator Jim Webb’s aide Phillip Thompson for carrying a concealed, loaded weapon through the District of Columbia and into a Senate office building. Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others. Of note is the characteristic display of personal courage by Senator Webb, who denied owning the pistol and hung his staffer out to dry, and then managed to pressure the system to ensure this guy wouldn’t be prosecuted.

From this point forward, anyone without criminal intent should be able to carry concealed firearms in the District of Columbia without fear of prosecution. Somehow I doubt that will be the case.

H/T: Richmond Democrat.

1. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 27 Apr 2007 at 9:01 pm:

Jim Webb truly is Forrest Gump, stumbling through life.

2. Below The Beltway » Blog Archive » Jim Webb’s Aide Is Off The Hook said on 27 Apr 2007 at 11:28 pm:

[…] Black Velvet Bruce Li   […]

3. James Young said on 28 Apr 2007 at 12:05 am:

I would have been much happier about this result if Jim Webb had shown the courage to stand up for his staffer. If I were the staffer, I would be looking for another boss.

4. NoVA Scout said on 28 Apr 2007 at 2:07 am:

Wasn’t this totally predictable? Intent is an element of most crimes. I never saw anything to indicate that the guy knew he had the weapon. Nor did I read anywhere about Webb pressuring the AUSA to drop the case, although, given the apparent circumstances, one would expect he would have made the point that Thompson was innocent. If that’s what Webb did, it was the least he could do, I would think.

5. Dirk said on 28 Apr 2007 at 2:57 am:

Will they expunge the staffer’s record too of the offense?

6. Anonymous said on 28 Apr 2007 at 7:10 am:

Are they going to give him a belated birthday party? If I remember correctly, he wound up spending the night in jail on his birthday with no one from the office having the decency to bail him out. With that sort of treatment, I hope he is looking for another job.

7. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 28 Apr 2007 at 9:14 am:

The question now is, will Jim Webb be held accountable for such careless disregard for his firearm? He didn’t know where it was AND it was loaded. Definitely negligent conduct.

8. park'd said on 28 Apr 2007 at 10:24 am:

Riiiiiiiight…..

9. charles said on 28 Apr 2007 at 2:07 pm:

Last Thursday, the son of Governor Huckabee forgot he was carrying his concealed carry gun in his bag, just like Webb. He went to an airport security checkpoint, where they found the weapon.

He has already pled guilty to a misdemeanor, and received a years probation and 20 hours of community service.

Of course, he’s the son of a republican, not the staffer of a democrat.

10. Hulk Hogan said on 28 Apr 2007 at 2:14 pm:

What ever happened to Del. John S. “Jack” Reid when he “accidentally” fired his weapon in his office? Not a thing. http://richmonddemocrat.blogspot.com/2006/01/is-delegate-jack-reid-telling-truth.html

11. Spank That Donkey said on 28 Apr 2007 at 7:31 pm:

HH Says:
    “What ever happened to Del. John S. “Jack” Reid when he “accidentally” fired his weapon in his office? Not a thing. http://richmonddemocrat.blogspot.com/2006/01/is-delegate-jack-

Hey Hulk grow a brain, It was legal..spelled L.E.G.A.L for Reid to have the weapon in the VA General Assembly building..

OK.. now it was I.L.L.E.G.A.L for Webb’s staffer, but details such as that are always lost on Dems in general.

You are dead on Greg.. if any citizen (of this nation) is caught with a handgun in DC… the ‘Webb/Thompson’ rule should be in effect.. duh, I forgot it was against the law… and to bolster that claim… Oh, Yeah, and I’m a Democrat! (see Hulkster’s comment)

12. Hulk Hogan said on 28 Apr 2007 at 10:31 pm:

Hey Spanky, since when is it legal to discharge a gun in a public building? I guess that detail is lost on you in general.

13. Greg L said on 29 Apr 2007 at 12:47 am:

Hulk, Care to cite a code reference? I looked in the LIS and I can’t find a statute that says this. Are you sure there’s a statute specifically regarding the discharge of firearms in public buildings in the Virginia Code?

14. Hulk Hogan said on 29 Apr 2007 at 9:32 am:

Greg, I am not a law expert but are you kidding me? So if I open carry into the GA Office building I can freely discharge my gun just for fun? I am sure there were many laws broken and I can’t believe you are actually defending the act. It is beneath you, way beneath you.

15. Greg L said on 29 Apr 2007 at 1:19 pm:

I’m just reporting what is lawful, and what is not. You state something is against the law, and there’s no indication that is in fact the case.

As far as I can tell, there is no specific distinction in firearms laws between public and nonpublic buildings, with the exceptions in federal law regarding post offices, military installations and such. That makes sense in my view, as government officials aren’t necessarily worthy of more or less protection than regular citizens are afforded.

If you’re so sure that laws were broken, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what those specific laws were. It may be the case that there were, but it would be helpful to be talking about specifics of law rather than your personal view of what should be lawful and what should not.

16. Hulk Hogan said on 29 Apr 2007 at 1:24 pm:

Again, I am not a law expert. I am sure, however, that you cannot lawfully take target practice on the back of your office door. I am also sure that you know that too. Just because I cannot site a code reference does not mean that it is lawfull. I also cannot site the code for murder but I am confident it is against the law.