Drunks For Galligan

By Greg L | 30 April 2007 | PWCDC, Virginia Senate | 13 Comments

From the looks of their new website, the Prince William County Democratic Committee seems to be focusing on a couple of School Board races and the Greg Galligan primary campaign in the 39th Senate District. In order to attract volunteers to work on these initiatives, it seems they have to resort to some unusual methods of attracting volunteers which include the unusual perk of offering free beer. I can imagine that towards the end of a shift, the calls start to get a little, well, interesting.

We’ll make calls in the 39th District and work on other vital campaign activities to get Greg Galligan’s progressive message out. We’ll provide everything a volunteer needs from phone calls to campaign food and beer to good company. Just bring your enthusiasm for sending another good Democrat to Richmond and we’ll provide the rest.

I’ve seen some creative ways to recruit volunteers, but I’ve never seen this.

Also of note regarding this new website is that the leadership of the PWCDC is no longer disclosed to visitors. I wonder if that helps at all.

1. Chris said on 1 May 2007 at 12:12 am:

You know, this is pretty serious. What would happen if one of those volunteers hurt someone or themselves? This guy wants to be a leader, instead he is boozing up volunteers.

2. Not Larry Sabato said on 1 May 2007 at 12:18 am:

Oh My God! Galligan has beer, and O’Brien had a cash bar with beer at his kickoff. Has no one read the 18th Amendment?

3. Greg L said on 1 May 2007 at 12:41 am:

But Galligan’s beer is free, and provided to volunteers doing phone banking. “Hellow, Mrsish Joneses, Wanna help out Gre, Greg, Gerhallihanihan? Heesh a really nish guy…”

They gotta be hurtin for volunteers bug time to start this.

4. Not Larry Sabato said on 1 May 2007 at 1:00 am:

I don’t know how Republicans do it, but I can’t remember the last phone bank I attended without alcohol. I personally don’t drink BTW. When I attended Galligan’s phone bank last month it was basically a pizza on the table and a fridge with beer, soda, water, etc. People grabbed what they wanted. It’s a phone bank- not a party- no one is getting wasted.

With all due respect to Chris, as I recall he worked the drink table at Tom Davis’s kickoff last year- and they served more alcohol that night than Galligan has in this entire campaign.

But again- ignore the 21st amendment and focus on the 18th. :)

5. Chris said on 1 May 2007 at 7:41 am:

You crack me up Ben. If this were a Republican - like Bob McDonnell - you would be double toupeeing this and jumping up and down about how someone could get hurt. But because you and Galligan are buddies nad were young Dems together or whatever your laying off. If this were Jay O’Brien you would savage him.

6. Not Larry Sabato said on 1 May 2007 at 8:05 am:

What are you talking about Chris? What makes having a beer at a phone bank worse than having it at a kickoff (like Tom Davis did)?

7. anon said on 1 May 2007 at 8:19 am:

I’ve been to several Tom Davis kickoffs and he never serves beer. I don’t think it would be wrong if he did, but the dude doesn’t drink and is kind of a teetoatler (is that the correct spelling)?

8. Greg L said on 1 May 2007 at 9:03 am:

If they can’t figure out the difference between a social event and a volunteer event, well, they’re probably going to have problems. Having a beverage or two when you’re listening to candidate speeches is pretty unremarkable. But using the lure of free beer to get people to phone bank is something like offering free beer to folks who will drive people to the polls.

9. brimur said on 1 May 2007 at 9:23 am:

It’s clear which candidate the Republicans are afraid of in the 39th District Senate race.

10. Ghost of A.L. Philpott said on 1 May 2007 at 9:33 am:

No kiddin’. Will you guys be at the Barker phonebank?

11. JMU Duke said on 1 May 2007 at 9:38 am:

I love how he called it the “Greg Galligan Primary.” Says it all. And I guess I could go volunteer for Jay O’Brien in his taxpayer-subsidized furniture store if I please, but I’d rather work for someone with integrity. It’s pretty funny that this is the attack you’re making.

“Well, I’m done railing against the terrorist…QUICK, onto the guy with beer!”

Greg, can we count on your commitment to withdraw your support from any candidate who offers beer at an official campaign event?

12. James Young said on 1 May 2007 at 9:45 am:

Don’t know what the big deal is. Title was funny, though.

13. Anonymous said on 2 May 2007 at 4:35 pm:

James is right, as usual. What is this nonsense Greg? This has got to be the biggest nonstory you’ve ever posted. Things a little slow at the office?