Van Hoy’s Self-Sabotage

By Greg L | 20 May 2007 | 28th VA Senate | 16 Comments

A funny thing happened at the polls in the 28th District on Saturday.  After the polls closed at 3PM, caucus voters kept showing up, and many of them indicated that they intended to vote for Van Hoy and expected the polls to close at 7PM as they do in general and special elections.  Why did this happen?

Because John Van Hoy never told his supporters when the polls would close.  His mailers (here and here) don’t tell people when the polls would be open, and it doesn’t appear anywhere on his website.  Van Hoy told his supporters the date of the caucus, but not when his supporters could vote for him.

Ouch.  Stewart really did deserve to win, it would seem.

1. hirons said on 20 May 2007 at 9:44 am:

I actually had time to clean up my home office this morning and go through some of the mail that has been piling up on my desk over the last couple of weeks. Came across mailings from Stuart, Jon Myers and Van Hoy.

Unfortunately the argument that Van Hoy caused the late voters for him doesn’t exactly hold up. None of Stuart’s mailings contained anything regarding the times polls were open either. They simply said Vote in the Republican canvass on May 19. Not even information about polling locations.

Myers was the only candidate to send mailers by county with voting locations and times for each county. The box had precinct breakdowns on where to vote based on your normal precinct.

2. Not Larry Sabato said on 20 May 2007 at 12:00 pm:

Hirons, I think it does hold up since my account and the press account are that almost every late voter was for Van Hoy. Maybe Stuart included the time in his GOTV mailings to supporters instead of his persuasion mail. Keep in mind (I know this is hard b/c you are a moron), you were NOT on Stuarts supporter list, so you didn’t get the mail that went only to his IDs.

3. Not Bill Howell said on 20 May 2007 at 3:44 pm:

I think Ben’s nailed it. I got five mailers from Stuart and the last one lists the times the polls will be open.

This firehouse primary no doubt caused a lot of ill will. The insiders kept the details to themselves, but a lot of interest was generated among people who didn’t have them. I bet hundreds showed up at the regular precinct polling places, as well as late to the real ones.

4. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 20 May 2007 at 7:39 pm:

Ouch. Ben results to calling Hirons a moron because Hirons completely smoked NLS on coverage of this race (in fact, he covered it better than anything NLS has ever covered.)

When can we expect that follow-up post on every blog that still links to Virtucon, Ben?

Seek help, Ben, before it is too late.

5. hirons said on 20 May 2007 at 8:56 pm:

NBH - I agree. I received mailings at my in-laws as well (we lived there while our current house was being built ). We have dinner with them on Sunday’s and collect old mail. I saw mail from Graz. that had no time information on them. I think I saw the one from Stuart that had time on it.

The fire house definitely is not getting good reviews all around. I have doubts Stafford will agree to another any time soon.

I’ll agree with Ben in that the candidates who failed can chaulk up at least a part of the failure to not being able to effectively communicate the details.

Riley - well we should know what we’re dealing with when we try to have a constructive discussion with someone like Ben. Some things just aren’t possible.

6. Jamie Radtke said on 20 May 2007 at 11:18 pm:

I personally put the polling location labels on the literature that went out to the Stafford district for Van Hoy three weeks ago, so I know it was included. They also made multiple rounds of calls that included the date/time (paid and not paid live calls the day before and knock and drag calls the day of at noon). I’m not sure why Van Hoy supporters were showing up late. I didn’t see that occuring, but I also was observing the vote count in King George so I wouldn’t have seen them showing up late.

7. Jamie Radtke said on 20 May 2007 at 11:29 pm:

One other thing…I don’t think that is why Van Hoy lost. Surely 302 people didn’t show up to vote late. I think it was all a simple matter of geography. You had the three conservative candidates (as perceived by the general public) all living in Stafford and splitting that vote. They cannabilized each other in Stafford leaving the Northern Neck vote to Stuart since he was the only one from that area. He dominated in his hometown of Westmoreland. My colleague worked that poll and said everyone knew everyone in that close-knit and rural community. Unfortunately the other candidates didn’t have the same pleasure in their hometown with all three from Stafford suburbia. Had even just one of the more conservative candidates withdrew, Stuart would have lost the race….even in a 3-way race.

8. Not Bill Howell said on 20 May 2007 at 11:53 pm:

The piece I got (in Stafford) from Van Hoy three weeks ago has no time label on it. Graziano sent a letter about the same time; his one mailer arrived an hour before the polls closed. A Graziano robocall came in 45 minutes AFTER the polls closed.

9. TLM said on 21 May 2007 at 10:58 am:

Ha Ha. Nice to see even Republican activist voters can be as dumb as the Dems. Part of citizen duty in voting is educate yourself on where and when and for whom to vote. This ain’t brain surgery folks.

10. Semper fi said on 21 May 2007 at 12:54 pm:

Life goes on. It is over.

11. Dirk said on 21 May 2007 at 2:21 pm:

Semper Fi, we look forward to your support of Richard Stuart. Myers had a great sign operation going. The Rappahannock CC had about 400 signs up lining the campus. If we can get that sign machine working for Stuart, I am sure he can use it.

12. Kelly said on 21 May 2007 at 2:46 pm:

Sign machine = Young Republicans. Talk about ENTHUSIASM!

13. Semper fi said on 22 May 2007 at 10:00 am:

Dirk

Richard Stuart will get my full and active support.

14. NotNotJoeG said on 22 May 2007 at 11:01 am:

Dirk, I told you not to blog today. Wait, am I telling myself not to blog? No, it is ok to blog now. The election is over. But what if they know we are the same person, Dirk? Shut up, Joe, I can blog if I want to. No Dirk, I’m in charge here. Fine, we will both blog. Go, Richard Pollard, beat Al Stuart!…oh…heck, who’s the Republican again? I am very confused. ;)

15. Dirk said on 23 May 2007 at 9:50 pm:

I was an active supporter of Graziano and stated so on V V. So much so that I wasn’t a KBJ and actually got into the field to work for him. Yeah, I actually pulled myself away from the keyboard to do work in the real world. You should try it sometime.

[Ed note: comment edited.]

16. NotNotJoeG said on 24 May 2007 at 10:35 pm:

Go ahead, Mr. Digler and admit that you are me or I am you, who’s on first?

Go Gulls!