Judge For Yourself

By Greg L | 7 June 2007 | 51st HOD District | 24 Comments

Not Larry Sabato has posted audio from the 51st District Convention which should allow readers to judge for themselves whether this post in Faisal Gill’s fan website is accurate or a steaming pile of horse manure.

In particular, I find the claim that Lucas’ supporters “were raucous and ill-behaved” is stunningly inaccurate.  The only people who were waving signs at inappropriate times, booing, and gesticulating wildly with their thumbs down during that convention were some of our more recent additions to the American non-melting pot who were supporting Julie’s opponent.  It was appalling.

There is so much that is so enraging about what happened at this convention.  In my opinion, there are lots of folks who are very fortunate that Virginia’s election laws are silent in regards to blatant fraud, abuse and corruption, otherwise the authorities would rightly be placing a good number of people under arrest.  What I have learned has so disturbed me that I contacted both the State Board of Elections and the Office of the Attorney General asking if anything could possibly be done about this, only to have them inform me that the only authority which can investigate and take action in regard to the rampant abuse of the convention process is the Republican Party of Virginia.

Maybe I’ve become too jaded, as I just don’t believe it would be worth it to tell RPV what crooks and frauds they have within their midst.

1. republitarian said on 7 Jun 2007 at 8:11 am:

You were mentioned last night on Laura Ingraham’s radio show. She boogered your last name but I knew who she meant.

2. anon2 said on 7 Jun 2007 at 9:40 am:

I am shocked by the answer of the Attorney General.

Every procedure that did, or did not, take place at that convention comes directly under the Federal Voting Rights Act.

It is flippant opinions, like his, that lead local parties to believe that they can do as they please. It is simply not so.

3. Bryanna said on 7 Jun 2007 at 10:32 am:

Julie’s loss is very disturbing, and not to take away from that, but on an even bigger scale is the domino effect this has had on the local party as a whole.

PW Republicans are rip roaring mad about the questionable ethics of some of our local Republican leadership. No one can understand why Kopko and Stewart forced Gill on us when we all knew from the start that he had too much baggage and it was questionable whether or not he is even electable. Let’s face it, most of us have given up on keeping this seat Republican after November.

This was poor judgement and bad decision making by the 2 most important leaders we supported and elected. I suspect they both will not have the support needed for re-election.

People just don’t feel as strongly committed to a Party in a local election. They want to see elected officials that genuinely care about their community including education, public safety, a vibrant economy. The budget conundrum, the Hispanic flag joke during a board meeting that blew up when Stewart told Barg, the lack of regard for the business community…need I go on.

Our opinions didn’t really matter, our property tax rate increased and will continue to escalate over the next four years. We’re paying a bonus of $250 to teachers with superior attendance. Come on. What have our local Republicans done for us lately? If someone knows, please tell the rest of us.

4. CONVA said on 7 Jun 2007 at 11:19 am:

The so-called “leadership” has done a great dis-service to republicans, the county, state and country with their antics. Time to go independent. On the other hand you cannot change the mess from the outside.

5. Unpure&Proud said on 7 Jun 2007 at 11:35 am:

The worst part about this mess is when Gill loses, Kopko and Company, along with Charles and James Young (through all the blogs), will be shouting from the rooftops how the loss of the seat is the fault of those “moderates” in the PWCRC.

As they wash their hands of any responsibility for the loss of a key GOP seat, they will once again start the “big purg” of the “unpure.”

Mark my words.

6. John Light said on 7 Jun 2007 at 12:10 pm:

Unpure: C and JY are truly legends in their own mind who NO ONE takes seriously at all. It is true, Julie was let down by a GOOD NUMBER of people who not only has SHE helped all these years, but who even ENCOURAGED her to run for the 51st. Be it Bolling, McQuigg, Kopko or Stewart, ALL need to be held accountable. We must NOT give in and let the “waco” wing of the party win because this truly will dictate how the rest of Virginia goes.

They may crow that they won, but it’s obvious that their money is NOT where their mouths are because unless they used one of the money laundering organizations to give a donation, none of the above showed up as doners to the Faisal campaign.

Plain and simple, Kopko SHOULD RECUSE himself from ANYTHING dealing with the 51st Convention. But we all know that he has neither the morals, ethics, or the pair to do that.

What also needs to be done is for all NOT to quit the Republican Party. The Part is only as good as you make it and by inaction, nothing will get accomplished. This is not something that has happened overnight. The handwriting was on the wall from the beginning. Let’s do a lessons learned and take these people to task. Folks, THIS is the reason good people don’t run…because when corrupt people are put in charge and run negative campaigns as the Faisal crowd did, a REAL politican who could ACTUALLY HAVE WON in November gets the short end of the stick.

7. Loudoun Insider said on 7 Jun 2007 at 4:17 pm:

We all know why Kopko backed Gill from the get-go - $2,000 of them. Gill has bought his way into the GOP with his money, much of it that came from regular Democratic donors.

Kopko and his endorsers (especially Bill Bolling who got the big bucks) have a lot of explaining to do over why they chose greed over principle. And by principle my biggest problem is Gill’s numerous connections to those that want to harm this country.

8. Jonathan Mark said on 7 Jun 2007 at 6:13 pm:

My understanding is that when people from Central Asia boo it means “Do you know how many yaks you are worth?” It is actually a sign of appreciation for those women who can’t fit into petite sizes.

Julie should feel honored to have been booed by Faisal’s fans.

9. freedom said on 7 Jun 2007 at 6:43 pm:

OK folks…we can talk to ourselves here, feeling comfort in our agreement about the 2 June travesty. While that may make us all feel better, now is the time we must roll up our sleeves and stop this Kopko, Steward, McQuigg, Cuccinelli, May freight train and send them ALL a message.

There are many voters out there who don’t follow local politics and don’t know Faisal Gill and his past from shinola, they really don’t. We must help them understand that just because a name carries an (R) it’s not ALWAYS the correct answer. There ARE things worse than a Democrat!

10. freedom said on 7 Jun 2007 at 6:44 pm:

Ooooops, make that “Stewart”..:)

11. anon said on 7 Jun 2007 at 7:38 pm:

Well, I’ve only had the time to listen to one of the tapes.

I listened to Faisal Gill’s speech. Here’s what I’ve heard:

I heard laughs when he mentioned his shy daughter.
    I heard claps and cheers when he talked about his work experience.
    I heard claps when he talked about his plans and positions.
    I heard claps as he finished his speech.

So far, I hear only polite behavior from the Lucas supporters.

Is there someplace specific where Charles or others claim “bad behavior” on the part of Lucas supporters?

I’d really like it if I didn’t have to listen to all of those boring speeches.

12. Anonymous said on 7 Jun 2007 at 8:46 pm:

Maybe Julie is not the “right” kind of republican. This group has been trying to filter in the “right” people for a long time. They are all a little to Bushy. Pay for the schools, pay for the roads and stop crying. Think of all the time and money wasted because these guys are worried about a few bucks. I’d rather send more money on taxes and less time on the road. I have never heard a good argument for not spending money on education.

13. James Young said on 7 Jun 2007 at 10:03 pm:

That’s pretty funny, JL. YOU certainly took me seriously when you were dining at my home, and asking me for advice regarding personal controversies, at least until I wouldn’t support your current girlfriend (if your current girlfriend she is; I still don’t know whether that is true).

The funny thing is, if Julie had won under these circumstances, everyone here (save for JM, a Democrat) would be screaming about how Faisal’s supporters should suck it up and support the nominee.

You people aren’t Conservatives. You’re not moderates. You’re not even Liberals. You’re nihilists, no more mature than children who break toys when they don’t get their way so no one else can play with them.

And I’m really impressed by all of these anonymous/pseudonymous comments. Put your names on ‘em if you want to be taken seriously. The only people here worthy of even the respect of courage are JL, Greg, and JM. And the last is a Democrat!

14. Peregrinus said on 7 Jun 2007 at 11:55 pm:

“I heard laughs when he mentioned his shy daughter.”

Which daughter is he talking about? The mysterious disappearing child in his listing?

Heh… right…

15. freedom said on 8 Jun 2007 at 6:15 am:

Well James, you’ll just never understand…at least, never accept, until the day you “wake up” and ask yourself, “What happened”?

Fact is, James, and a fact you refuse to acknowledge, Faisal Gill has made a number of very bad decisions thus far in his life and he’s really not that old. Yet you excuse him, covering your eyes to those bad decisions.

We’ve all made both good and bad decisions in our lives, James, yet we go on. We enjoy the fruits of our good decisions and have to live with the bad ones…we can apologize and ask for forgiveness…sometimes we’re forgiven and sometimes we aren’t…but we live with those bad decisions, and in some cases, they hurt pretty badly.

It would be of no benefit to repeat the list of Faisal Gill’s bad decisions, you’ve read them here, you’ve read them plenty of places, plenty of times. Yet, being unable to justify or otherwise defend him for those bad decisions, you call it “a smear.”

Faisal Gill relies on people James…he relies upon people who need money; he relies upon people who refuse to hold him accountable for his bad decisions; and what scares me the most is his reliances that we don’t even know about.

You’re great at name-calliing, James, but I’m not a racist, I’m not a liberal, a whiner, a moderate, a nihilist or any of the other names you throw around. However, I do expect politicians, even Republicans, to be held accountable for their past decisions, both the good and the bad.

Now James, who really IS the “liberal” here?

16. freedom said on 8 Jun 2007 at 8:41 am:

James Young says….

“…And I’m really impressed by all of these anonymous/pseudonymous comments. Put your names on ‘em if you want to be taken seriously…”

…and your ego makes you think someone really cares to know YOUR name?? …doesn’t make a whit to me! :) :)

17. anon said on 8 Jun 2007 at 9:26 am:

“Peregrinus said on 7 Jun 2007 at 11:55 pm:
    “I heard laughs when he mentioned his shy daughter.”

Heh… right…”

What on earth does this mean?

18. Greg L said on 8 Jun 2007 at 9:55 am:

Faisal’s biography inconsistently has listed three or four children. The “missing” child to the best of my knowledge is an older girl. Other than being somewhat mysterious, it’s probably not relevant to his candidacy. I tend not to talk about such topics unless there’s some real reason for it, and I don’t think there is one here.

19. John Light said on 8 Jun 2007 at 11:54 am:

To all the Julie Lucas supports, I give you this, from the book of James, Chapter 1, verse 12 (and I write this NOT to shove religion down anyones throat, but to give us all hope and encouragement in these times):

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

Saturday was just a speed bump in Julie’s political career. Never lose faith, in her, in ourselves, or for what is right.

20. Lars Wiechmann said on 8 Jun 2007 at 12:31 pm:

Kind of reminds me of 1991, when the Democrats thought taking George Allen’s Congressional District away from him in re-districting was a good idea politically.

They got very short-term enjoyment, then were on the receiving end of George Allen’s rise to the Governorship and a 10 year resurgence of the GOP statewide that took those very Democrats from the majority to the minority.

In politics, it’s always best to think a few years ahead when trying to figure out how your actions will play out.

21. Jonathan Mark said on 8 Jun 2007 at 12:48 pm:

My impression is that all of this is moot. It is too late to get on the ballot even if the RPV ordered a new convention, which it won’t do.

Perhaps the RPV thinks that people will forget about the overvotes in one-fifth of the precincts, the failure to properly account for who got ballots when, the failure to ensure that voters dropping ballots in the ballot box had received valid ballots for that precinct, etc.

But I think that people will remember what happened last Saturday for a long time. They will think less of RPV because of it. A party that cannot run itself properly ought not to be running Virginia.

I don’t care if the Dems are just as bad in many regions. That is not an excuse.

22. freedom said on 8 Jun 2007 at 3:10 pm:

Well Jonathan, I must admit, the Faisal Gill campaign has shown the under-belly of the Republican party in Prince William County. Republican, Democrat or whatever I would feel the same way…to nominate a man with his history is shameful…but the part that is particularly disgusting to me is the list of those who, for whatever reason, chose either to support him or avoided taking a stand one way or the other rather than risk their political career.

I can still hear those words; perhaps you can guess…give it a try: “He was there for me and I’m here for him” — Hint: the 14,000 reasons guy; “…what are YOU gonna do to get this man in Richmond” — Hint: the bellowing 5,000 reasons guy; “…it’s done all the time” — Hint: the 2,000 reasons guy; “…I’m supporting him because he’s my friend” — Hint: the “introducer”; “I’m remaining neutral in this race, but I’m gonna vote for Faisal Gill” — No Hint; and finally “…it’s all a smear” — No Hint.

Honor has its rewards.

23. Lars Wiechmann said on 9 Jun 2007 at 11:53 am:

Well said Freedom…”Honor has its rewards.” That should be the name of the new Political Action Committee to take back the PWCRC.

24. Barbara Cummings said on 9 Jun 2007 at 9:53 pm:

The shy daughter laughter was about this: The Gill daughter is probably about 7 or 8 years old. The entire time that he was on stage with his family she was dancing around as if it were her dance recital. So it was pretty hilarious and he tried to make a joke about it by referring to her as his “shy daughter”. In fact it was difficult to focus on what he was saying because she really was stealing the scene.