Violent Crime Cover-Up?

By Greg L | 19 June 2007 | Manassas Park, Crime | 47 Comments

Was there a rape and murder in the middle of the street on Cabbel Drive in Manassas Park last Wednesday? I just got a very disturbing call from someone who had heard from a friend that there was. The story goes that five hispanic males were raping a girl in the middle of the street, and one of the local residents went out to help her. That resident was reported to have been beaten to death by the suspects. No mention of this incident has been reported in the local paper.

Recently there have been a number of other incidents which I have heard about which also haven’t made the papers, which is similarly disturbing. If information concerning violent crimes is being witheld from the public for some reason, that needs to stop immediately. The public has a right to know about what’s happening in our community, regardless of who looks bad as a result.

I’ll be following up on this. If you have information on this or other violent crimes which are not being reported in the local papers, please let me know.

UPDATE: The Manassas Park Police Department refused to respond to a Freedom of Information Act Request, citing Virginia Code Section 2.2-3706 (B) which pertains to ongoing criminal investigations, which would seem to confirm that there was in fact some sort of crime at that location on or about June 13th. But why wouldn’t they even want to acknowledge that they are investigating a what may be a murder? Aren’t they interested in finding additional witnesses?

UPDATE 2: I’ve learned that the man who came to the assistance of the rape victim was transported to Prince William Hospital and survived the attack. At least there’s some good news coming out of this tragedy.

UPDATE 3: The blog Am I Illegal.com has a podcast up which contains an interview with me as well as an article on this incident.

1. reyman said on 19 Jun 2007 at 12:07 pm:

this is another thing the HSM has to be following up on ……….. if this is true , it has to stop or local authorities have to be held accountable.

2. justice said on 19 Jun 2007 at 12:18 pm:

Is it time for a Clint Eastwood “Magnum Force”?

3. redawn said on 19 Jun 2007 at 12:46 pm:

operation sweep streets and slam shut STORM doors~

4. AWCheney said on 19 Jun 2007 at 1:50 pm:

Manassas Park Police, huh?…What a surprise.

5. not park'd yet but getting there said on 19 Jun 2007 at 1:53 pm:

I’m amazed at how corrupt this city is. Every passing week, ever passing month, it just seems to get worse.

6. Anonymous said on 19 Jun 2007 at 4:49 pm:

“Recently there have been a number of other incidents which I have heard about which also haven’t made the papers, which is similarly disturbing.”

Good Lord! Have you ever considered the possibility that these are unfounded rumors not fit to print?? Jeez.

7. Greg L said on 19 Jun 2007 at 4:57 pm:

No, they’re stories I just haven’t had the opportunity to post yet. It takes time to interview witnesses.

When Craig Vitter got held up at gunpoint in his driveway, that didn’t make the papers either. I’m learning that what the police report to the papers isn’t often the whole story about what’s been going on in our community.

Try this exercise: try finding an article in the Manassas Journal-Messenger archives about the murder of C. J. Angelos last November. You’ll find only one now, where all they report is that they identified his body. All of the articles that had information about how he was murdered and by whom have inexplicably disappeared as far as I can tell.

8. citizenofmanassas said on 19 Jun 2007 at 5:12 pm:

It is not surprising the MJM refuses to cover stories like this since it does not fit their pro-illegal immigration agenda. I guess the same goes for the MP police department.

9. Had to Say said on 19 Jun 2007 at 7:27 pm:

It seems that the only crime that goes on in this area is done in Prince William County. There is never any crime in Manassas City or the Park, according to the MJM. We all know how wrong that is. Maybe you’re right, maybe ILLEGALS are the main culprits in the crimes committed and we all know they are a protected class!

10. Maureen Wood said on 19 Jun 2007 at 7:29 pm:

I agree with HTS. There is never anything in the paper about the City or the Park ahving any kinds of crimes committed. Why is that?

11. Lafayette said on 20 Jun 2007 at 12:15 am:

It’s a shame that the only local newspaper we have is the MJM.
    MJM, needs to start reporting crimes that are committed in our county, including the two cities. Violent crimes are not just happening in the county. This incident on Cabbel must be made public this is very disturbing. I would like to know has anyone seen the proper term for illegals(ILLEGAL ALIENS)? I’m only seeing illegal immigrant, even when I see a letter that know has been written by concerned cititzen, who calls them what they are ILLEGAL ALIENS.

12. NoVA Scout said on 20 Jun 2007 at 6:41 am:

Lafayette: What is the difference between an “illegal immigrant” and an “illegal alien”?

13. redawn said on 20 Jun 2007 at 7:49 am:

A suggestion, police scanner? I also think that the 7-11 on Manassas Dr would be a good source of information.

14. Lafayette said on 20 Jun 2007 at 7:49 am:

NoVa Scout
    Illegal alien is just that an undocumented illegal entrant(invader)of the USA. Illegal immigrant does not exist, the word immigrant means they are on legal path to citizenship and/or have proper documentation to be in the USA. It seems pretty clear to me. I think we all as Americans need to be aware of alien used for illegals, and immigrant for people who have gone through the proper channels to be here and our government knows they are here. Illegal aliens have no documentation, no proof of immunizations. Illegal aliens are bringing diseases to the USA, that we have not seen for decades in our country. I think we all need to use the proper terms, too bad if “alien” offends people that is what they are.

15. Anonymous said on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:11 am:

What scares the hell out of me is Prince William has a middle school near that mess. I guess better to have our kids in harms way than in our back yards

16. Lafayette said on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:11 am:

Redawn
    I’ve asked my husband to get me a police scanner, I’m hoping by weeks end to have one. This is what the good citizens must do, since our police departments(2cities & PWC) and MJM don’t want the good people of PWC know what’s going on in their commumity. We must call the police with any and all illegal and suspicious activity. Perhaps, then the police will know the citizens want a safe and clean community.

17. Lafayette said on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:20 am:

Anon 8:11
    You are exactly right, my daughter attends SMS(Stonewall Middle School). The county built these schools in Westgate and Sudley, for walking students, it is no longer safe to have our children walking to school to get an education. I’ve lived on Lafayette my entire life, my daughter is not growing up in the American community I did. We must take our community back NOW!! Contact the police, zoning, code enforcement when things are not as the law requires. Contact your Supervisor, exress you concerns of our community.

18. redawn said on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:32 am:

Lafayette,

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband & I have talked about it on numerous occasions , time to put it to action. My father used to have one and it was very informative…..shopping right now~

I would also like to note, that I stop in @ the 7-11 on Mannassas Dr on the way to work (early) and it just dawned on me (no pun intended, lol) that I have not noticed day workers standing outside looking for work…..which COME TO THINK OF IT, IS THE REASON WHY I GO THERE…..hmmm….kinda ironic huh?~

19. redawn said on 20 Jun 2007 at 9:13 am:

Anon 8:11 / Layfayette,
    Parkside Middle ( county school)

20. citizenofmanassas said on 20 Jun 2007 at 9:59 am:

Why is everyone surprised the MJM will not report negative stories regarding illegals? Do you expect a paper that publishes a Spanish language paper willing to risk their attempt to gain readership for that paper? It is the same reason why the MJM also expects Americans to learn a foreign language while hoping immigrants learn English.

21. not park'd yet but getting there said on 20 Jun 2007 at 10:12 am:

You want a trunk-tracking scanner. MP and Manassas City share the same radio system, as I recall. It’s 800MHz.

22. redawn said on 20 Jun 2007 at 10:42 am:

notpark’d yet but getting there,

Thanks for the 411 good buddy :)

citizenofmanassas,

I think everyone agrees with your reguarding the MJM.The concern is a possible cover up in the police dept.- My first thought was not only the MJM but any other media outlet

23. Lafayette said on 20 Jun 2007 at 10:43 am:

Thank you very much for the scanner info. I will be looking for that. I live in the county however I could walk to either city in 10 minutes. I want to know what’s going on there too, the 2 cities are located in the county and the 2 cities criminals could to be in Westgate in 10 minutes to our sanctuary county, thanks Chief Deane for NOTHING!!!

24. anon said on 20 Jun 2007 at 11:29 am:

Most Prince William county police do not like to disclose rising crimes rates in other places like Lakeridge.

It is getting worse according to those that know.

25. anonymous said on 20 Jun 2007 at 11:47 am:

More info:

Manassas Motorola ASTRO APCO-25 compliant digital Frequencies: 866.0875, 866.1125, 867.875, 868.400, 868.425

Looks like you may need a scanner capable of decoding APCO-25 digital transmissions–they’re not cheap, starting at about $450.

I found a job posting at the City of Manassas Website which states one of the job functions is to:

…provide the…operation and maintenenace of the trunked radio system for the City of Manassas and the City of Manassas Park

26. Jbirdy said on 20 Jun 2007 at 6:56 pm:

This story is shocking and disturbing. But is ANY of it true? Sources? Eye witnesses? Do you have any evidence that this is a true story?
    A gang rape followed by a murder in the middle of the street in daylight in a heavy populated area..and no report anywhere?
    If it is true and you provide facts, I’d be the first to call for justice. BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. If it’s a rumor then, sadly the credibility of this site takes a serious blow.

27. Lafayette said on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:49 pm:

Greg
    UPDATE#2 is great news! We must find out more. Looks, like I have add what appears to be “gang rape” to my list of critical concerns for our community and children. We have children in Westgate/Sudley and we all know it’s just short walk down the hill on Lomond Dr to Manassas Park. I hope this illegal activity doesn’t find its way up the hill. Thanks for all your hard work.

28. NoVA Scout said on 20 Jun 2007 at 9:48 pm:

Lafayette: I think the term “alien” simply means a non-citizen. “Immigrant”, as far as I am aware, doesn’t have a legal/illegal connotation, it simplly means someone who has come into another country (as opposed to an emigre, who has gone out of his home country). There are many “aliens” who are here perfectly legally, many of whom have permanent residency status and who will take citizenship in due course. I would think “illegal immigrant” or “illegal alien” would be equally accurate to describe someone who entered this country without going through the required visa/clearance procedures. Conversely, an “immigrant” or an “alien” could describe a person who is here after having fulfilled all entry requirements.

29. Greg L said on 20 Jun 2007 at 11:43 pm:

The term “alien” is defined in the United States Code, whereas the term “immigrant” is not. Since we end up discussing legal status on this issue with some frequency, I’ve found that being consistent with the terminology used in the law is helpful. The term “illegal immigrant” from a legal perspective is meaningless and undefined, but when we’re talking about “illegal aliens” or “resident aliens” it’s easier to make accurate references to state and federal law.

Neither “alien” or “immigrant” by themselves should have no connotation in regards to legal status.

30. Mando said on 21 Jun 2007 at 9:23 am:

This is sickening and the most sickening part of it is that in our apathy, only we are to blame. When are we going to hold those we elect and pay to protect accountable? I’ve contacted MJM in my outrage and I suggest others do the same.

31. Lafayette said on 21 Jun 2007 at 9:43 am:

I also wrote to MJM yesterday. I said it before and I’ll say it again, WE MUST TAKE ACTION NOW!! Call the county, supervisors and police, we pay good money in taxes, let’s make them(PWC), put our money to work for us the legal Americans.

32. Jbirdy said on 21 Jun 2007 at 10:22 am:

Again..is any of this “story” you “broke” true?

Update #2 says there was no murder..okay..the beating victom is in PW Hospital. Any Proof? Did you speak to him?

Update # 3…A podcast where you repeat you Story DOES NOT substantuate the story.

Again..give me proof and details.

33. redawn said on 21 Jun 2007 at 11:32 am:

I Just got off the phone with a friend of mine ( I too have lived in Manassas all my life) with credible info. reguarding this story. The girl supposedly raped got in trouble for going to 7-11, etc and used this as her excuse. The police are investigating and may end up charging her with a false report.
    I would also like to add that this info came directly from the source of the location related to this girl.

6 degrees of Manassas~

34. Jbirdy said on 21 Jun 2007 at 11:43 am:

Thanks redawn.
    If anything else about this turns up please post it.

35. redawn said on 21 Jun 2007 at 11:46 am:

will do and I do have to say it is nice to see that people are out there to take action if it had turned ot to be the case…I THINK EVERYONE IS JUST FED UP!!!!!!!!

36. Offended said on 21 Jun 2007 at 12:50 pm:

Redawn…. your hearsay is more reliable than Greg’s because……??????

37. Mando said on 21 Jun 2007 at 1:15 pm:

Regardless of whether the girl’s allegations were false, it should be in the Police Briefs. I don’t feel it should be at the Police’s or MJM’s discretion whether or not an alleged gang rape poses a threat to the community.

38. redawn said on 21 Jun 2007 at 1:19 pm:

Offended,

In ALL fairness, I will say you are correct, I am a THIRD party, time will tell.

39. Offended said on 21 Jun 2007 at 1:33 pm:

The question is: DID SOMETHING HAPPEN GREG? Is there a person to verify it RIGHT NOW?

40. Offended said on 21 Jun 2007 at 2:56 pm:

MANASSAS PARK POLICE DEPARTMENT
    PRESS RELEASE

June 21, 2007

At approximately 2357 on June 5, 2007, officers responded to the 100 block of addressStreetMorton Court, after receiving a call of a possible Assault in Progress. Officers responding to the area located a 32 year old male and a 27 year old female. The male victim had sustained a contusion and minor stab wound to the chest and was transported to the hospital for treatment of non life threatening injuries. The 27 year old female reports being sexually assaulted during the incident. Detective H.M. Perry has been assigned and is continuing to investigate the assaults. To date, no suspects have been identified.

41. Mando said on 21 Jun 2007 at 3:13 pm:

Wow. Over two weeks for a watered down press release…

42. AmIillegal said on 21 Jun 2007 at 3:45 pm:

Offended, You beat my scoop by posting the MPPD Press release sent to my site, but thanks anyway.

As you see above, the MPPD sent us this press release to www.amiillegal.com

The fact that they FINALLY released the information is due to the diligence of Greg and everyone who visited/works on our site. Good job Everyone!

43. Jbirdy said on 21 Jun 2007 at 5:32 pm:

What does this Press release prove? Was there a gang rape? Was this a domestic abuse case (the woman claiming sexual assualt may be the one who stabbed the man, they may be married….or a million other possibilities!)
    Where Hispanics even involved? If so were they illegal?
    The press release means nothing.
    It doesn’t disprove or prove the original story at all.
    I applaud those getting to the truth.
    BUT we need more info before any further action can be taken.
    I HOPE the original story is just another unfounded rumour..but if not…

44. Justaguy said on 21 Jun 2007 at 8:59 pm:

You’re kidding me right? Greg you blew this one!! What happen to your first story. This is a long way from a gang rape in the middle of the street and the murder of a citizen coming to help. Get you facts a little straight before jumping the gun. Us your brain there is NO way that type of crime be be committed and covered up.

45. REDAWN said on 21 Jun 2007 at 9:32 pm:

see new thread “MANASSAS PARK CRIME UPDATE”

46. Mando said on 21 Jun 2007 at 10:34 pm:

Keep digging. I have a feeling there’s more to this than what’s in the police report especially considering this report just coincidently came out today.

All rapes should be reported whether they’re in the middle of the street or in someone’s home. Also, I wonder how many people would actually know about this if it wasn’t reported on this site??? Hmmm… No way a rape could be committed and covered up? Almost was and my guess is this police report would’ve never been issued if the issue wasn’t brought up.

47. Crissy said on 24 Jun 2007 at 2:21 pm:

I guess you could say I am a source that is close to the investigation. I dont need to provide proof. If all of the facts of an incident get released to the public, it can hinder the case. Greg seems to be trying to get you the “real scoop”, but I feel like I am reading a version of the telephone game. One person says something and by the time it gets to the end of the line, it is nothing like what the original person said!