Illegal Alien Gang-Banger Released From Custody

By Greg L | 25 June 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Crime, Prince William County | 22 Comments

The trial of one of the individuals suspected in the murder of CJ Angelos last November started today, and ended in about five minutes. After being initially charged with murder and criminal gang participation, Salvador Mauricio Elias-Miranda entered an “Alford Plea” through his interpreter to a misdemeanor charge and was released from custody. The judge in the case indicated a detainer against him would be rescinded and that Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would be contacted about Mr, Elias-Miranda, which would strongly indicate that he is an illegal alien.

A detainer would have allowed police to continue to hold this individual until he was picked up by ICE. Because the Section 287(g) Program is not currently in place at the jail (it will be shortly), officers could not act with the authority of an ICE agent and process him for deportation. Instead, a detainer is placed which allows police to hold the individual until ICE comes and takes custody of them. Under the currently policy, which may change somewhat once 287(g) is up and running, detainers are rescinded for those who plead guilty to a misdemeanor in order to escape a possible felony conviction. The result of this is that anyone who manages to plea bargain down to a misdemeanor obtains a “get out of jail free” card with time served, released back into the community, and ICE has to go find the individual with their limited resources, which rarely ever happens.

Mr. Elias-Miranda, a known illegal alien with a criminal history and connections with MS-13, is now back on the street, and there is very little likelihood that he will be deported unless he happens to be convicted of a felony in the future. If he does, I am sure the victims of his crime will be really pleased that our government had the opportunity to remove this criminal illegal alien from out country, and declined to do so when they had the chance.

Thank you very much, Commonwealth’s Attorney Paul Ebert. Not only do we have ineffective prosecution of those illegal alien gang members suspected of being responsible for the death of a citizen, but the suspects in the case are being released back into our community after their plea bargains even though we know they are illegal aliens. Thank you very much, United States Senate, which is considering legislation at this very moment that would allow Mr. Elias-Miranda as well as thousands of other criminal illegal aliens like him to obtain “temporary” protected status within 24 hours of applying for it, and be protected from any deportation efforts.

Is it any wonder why citizens are so outraged on the illegal alien issue?

UPDATE: Mr. Elias-Miranda plead guilty to assault and battery, and as a condition of his plea bargain the ICE detainer against him was vacated. Had the Commonwealth’s Attorney refused this plea bargain, Mr. Elias-Miranda would still be held on his ICE detainer and could have been turned over to ICE for deportation regardless of the verdict in his trial. This plea bargain has done nothing other than release this illegal alien back into our community. The misdemeanor conviction in this case is utterly meaningless and only allows this individual an opportunity to evade whatever attempts ICE may make in order to apprehend and deport this individual. This is ridiculous.

UPDATE: The Manassas Journal-Messenger has more coverage here.

1. redawn said on 25 Jun 2007 at 11:26 am:

OUTRAGEOUS

2. Tex Mex said on 25 Jun 2007 at 11:34 am:

I am a Mexican-American and I am outraged. In the short time I have lived in Manassas, I am constantly amazed by the actions of illegal aliens living, working and draining the financial resources in this community. I live on the northwest side of Manassas, just beyond Bull Run. The 7-11 on Coverstone Drive and Sudley is flanked by illegals DAILY waiting for work. Not only do they loiter, urineate, drink alcohol in public - they frequently steal and cause major fights/gang related disturbances resulting in police action. This is two streets from my apartment complex. Furthermore, the police activity at my apartment complex has been heavy ever since the warm weather arrived. I guess if you are an illegal, summer time means public drinking and drug use is acceptable. This illegal community in which I reside has caused many residents anexiety and fear - giving way for them to take drastic measures to protect themselves. The worst part is that many hard working citizens live in this community because it is affordable (barely) but they now have to deal with upwards of 8-10 illegal aliens living next-door in a one, or two bedroom apartments. Something MUST be done and it MUST be done NOW.

I know Delegate Miller is putting on an event this Thursday at the Greater Manassas Volunteer Rescue Squad Hall. I will be there to rally support behind this cause and make some noise about immigration. We cannot be afraid to live in OUR OWN COMMUNITY any longer.

3. redawn said on 25 Jun 2007 at 11:34 am:

what a SLAP in the face to the family. That family is in my prayers~

4. Lafayette said on 25 Jun 2007 at 12:33 pm:

I got to the PW Courthouse, at about 10:10, as I was coming up the stairs, I saw Ms.Angelos and daughter, leaving so very upset. It broke my heart to see them like this on a day that JUSTICE should be served. I’m sickened to read what happened, thank as always GregL for get this out. We all should be OUTRAGED. This happened in Irongate, do you think Mr. Elias-Miranda will be returning to Irongate or the next subdivision Westgate?

5. Advocator said on 25 Jun 2007 at 1:26 pm:

Mr. Tex-Mex:

6. Patty said on 25 Jun 2007 at 1:46 pm:

Advocator

Last time I talked with Bob FitzSimmonds about the problems with illegal aliens in my neighborhood, he suggested that I move. To be fair I checked out his web site. He does sound like he wants to do something but I would think it prudent to get some specifics from him. We do not need a bunch of state senators who will kill all the bills designed to stop illegal aliens.
    I know our delegates have been pushing these bills but the senate side always kills them. We need better state senators.

7. Maureen Wood said on 25 Jun 2007 at 1:56 pm:

I happened to be at the “trial” today and all I can say is what a slap in the face to the Angelos family and to the citizens of Manassas, Prince William County and Manassas Park.

Wanda found out about the plea agreement right before court started. She was visibly upset. They brought the illegal gang member into the courtroom in a wrinkled back jacket. He said he accepted the alford plea but he wasn’t guilty. Judge Alston then explained that there was no middle ground here. He had to plead guilty, not guilty or enter an alford plea.

He was released with time served.

The illegal gang member then pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault and battery. A far cry from a murder and criminal gang participation charge.

I believe Wanda was told that there was no way “he” would be convicted on the two original charges.

My heart and prayers are with Wanda and the rest of her family. They still have at least three more trial to get through.

I hope that this illegal alien doesn’t harm anyone else.

8. Lafayette said on 25 Jun 2007 at 2:50 pm:

I sure hope this is not setting precedent for the other three trials. This is criminal being let back out onto our streets is scary. How many more innocent victims must suffer before change is made around PWC and the 2 cities?

9. Maureen Wood said on 25 Jun 2007 at 2:51 pm:

And this is only one that we know about!

10. anon said on 25 Jun 2007 at 9:12 pm:

Greg,

Do you know who obtained the ICE detainer that was ultimately vacated?

11. anon said on 25 Jun 2007 at 10:03 pm:

Exactly what did this county gain by that plea deal?

12. AWCheney said on 25 Jun 2007 at 11:27 pm:

Well anon, Paul Ebert keeps his conviction record up the easy way and, perhaps, gains another drug dealing CI for the police stable…and keeps another criminal on the street.

13. Anon2 said on 26 Jun 2007 at 8:01 am:

Think about this: If the plea deal involved cooperation and testimony regarding the others involved, then this guys life ain’t worth spit. The other gang-bangers will take him out.

14. redawn said on 26 Jun 2007 at 8:31 am:

This story is in today’s MJM and once again, my prayers are with the family. I thought of them last night and just cannot imagine as a parent, to loose your child and not being able to do anything about it, there are just no words.IT IS SO HEART BREAKING

15. freedom said on 26 Jun 2007 at 6:49 pm:

But Mr Advocator, didn’t Mr Bob Bob FitzSimmonds support Faisal Gill? He sure did…and it says a good bit about the man’s judgment and principles.

16. AWCheney said on 26 Jun 2007 at 7:30 pm:

“I hope to meet you at Jackson’s function on Thursday, but be advised, I believe you live in Chuck Colgan’s district. Bob FitzSimmonds is challenging Mr. Colgan for that seat, and I hope you vote for Bob.”

This sounds vaguely like a threat, Advocator. You think that going around and threatening people is going to give FitzSimmonds a better chance because his solution to the illegal alien problem is “why don’t you move?” Tex Mex isn’t necessarily a Republican, just because he is supporting Jackson Miller. Candidates on both sides of the aisle have always depended upon unaligned (independent) supporters, and votes, to win. Your comment in support of FitzSimmonds speaks volumes, particularly since you are obviously a close supporter of his.

17. AWCheney said on 26 Jun 2007 at 7:43 pm:

Tex Mex, it is really encouraging to see another American who wasn’t born here (I was born in Germany) equally incensed over this illegal alien problem as I, and willing to say so. If you haven’t already, I hope you will come out and join the Help Save Manassas organization which is beginning to very effectively address this problem. I have heard it said that the legal Hispanic aliens in our area do not necessarily support their illegal brothers, but are afraid to speak out. Perhaps you could help start a flood of those folks into the movement and help dispel the myth that all Hispanics are part of the problem. YOU AND I know that is not true…let’s show everyone else, and make them part of the solution.

18. Lafayette said on 26 Jun 2007 at 10:06 pm:

I had a great neighbor for 20 years, she’s from Guatamala, she’s a US Citizen, she left my block, to go to a new subdivision on 28, past Linton Hall Rd. She told me she was leaving Westgate, “because I don’t like what has become of our neighborhood”, I told her I couldn’t agree more, as a lifelong resident of “good ole Lafayette”, I told her I was sick over it myself. I think that there are lots of American’s that weren’t born in the USA, that should get involved. Tex Mex and AWC
    I hope the two of you lead the way for fellow Americans, not born here. I was just lucky and blessed enough to be born here.
    I know at least one of the 2 German Americans(one lives next door to me, and I grew up next door to the other) does belong to HELP SAVE MANASSAS.I hope to get the other lady signed up before I go to HSM meeting, tomorrow night.
    AWC
    I hope to see you at the Manassas Town Hall tomorrow.

19. CJ's Mama said on 26 Jun 2007 at 10:33 pm:

Thank you for the support you continue to
    show my daughter and I.
    We love CJ so much—he is so missed.
    I want him to come home!
    I can’t comment on this case.

20. Lafayette said on 26 Jun 2007 at 10:41 pm:

Cj’s Mama
    I go to the courthouse everyday for about hour to work, I will be stopping in to see how these 3 trials go. I pray that the next 3 trials, end with JUSTICE served not a repeat of yesterday.

21. citizenofmanassas said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:15 am:

The MJM has an updated article in their Wednesday edition regarding this illegal alien.

22. Mama said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:20 am: