Stirrup Proposes Revoking Sanctuary Policy

By Greg L | 27 June 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Prince William County | 79 Comments

At today’s session of the Prince William County Board of County Supervisors, Supervisor John Stirrup introduced a resolution that would direct the Prince William County Police Department to comply with federal law and abandon it’s sanctuary policy towards illegal aliens, and require that all county agencies inquire into the immigration status of all those requesting taxpayer-funded county services.  Supervisor Stirrup’s resolution was drafted with the assistance of constitutional lawyers from the Immigration Reform Law Institute and support from the legislative committee of Help Save Manassas.  It is a terrific resolution that extensively cites state and federal law as the basis for the authority local agencies have, rather than the rather thin and legally suspect statements included in the county police department’s current policy.

Immediately some legislators have started to howl.  Hilda Barg and John Jenkins both raised objections and need more time to “study” this, and have requested input from county police chief Deane, who has already demonstrated that he has been co-opted by illegal alien apologists with the current policy of the police department.  Supervisor Stirrup remained firm in today’s meeting, pointing out to those supervisors who have concerns about ensuring that county policies are consistent with state and federal law have at their disposal the resources of the county to help them understand the citations provided in Stirrup’s resolution.  He also pointed out the board’s typical habit of introducing resolutions at Supervisor’s Time and then voting on those resolutions at the following meeting, which will be July 10th.  It pretty much shot the hot air out of their arguments.

Between now and July 10th, Prince William County residents need to start visiting, calling and faxing their supervisors in support of this resolution.  This is our first opportunity to start reversing policies that have encouraged illegal aliens to come to Prince William County, and if we are to make progress in dealing with the issue of illegal aliens in Prince William, this resolution must pass.  We need to push hard on this, and make sure our Supervisors fully understand the concerns of their constituents, and how important addressing these concerns are to so many of us.

I had an opportunity to address the board in support of this resolution this evening, and hoped to make clear that if the Prince William County Board of Supervisors does not adopt this policy, Help Save Manassas will contact the Department of Homeland Security to make them aware that they are providing SCAAP funds to the county which it may not be eligible for because of this amnesty policy, and will recruit plaintiffs to file suit against the county in cases where they suffered losses from illegal aliens who had previous interactions with the county police department and were not questioned about their legal status according to the current sanctuary policy.  The current policy is not only in violation of a 1996 federal law, but it puts the county’s budget at risk in several ways.

As soon as I get a copy of what was introduced, I’ll post it with some detailed commentary to help Hilda Barg and John Jenkins understand what it means.  Since they both supported the Section 287(g) Program at the Adult Detention Center this February, I imagine this is just a case of needing some help in understanding the law, and the concerns of the citizens.

I think Help Save Manassas can assist them on both counts.

1. anon said on 27 Jun 2007 at 1:28 am:

Great step in the right direction!

This, however, is just sad:
    “There’s so much here,” Jenkins said of the page-and-a-half resolution.

Excuse me? You can’t read a page-and-a-half? Who the hell elected you, Jenkins?

I think the root of our problems are being identified…

Stirrup IN, Jenkins and Barg OUT.

2. Anonymous said on 27 Jun 2007 at 7:31 am:

Does anyone have an idea why the Chief wants to protect illegals anyway? Doesn’t seem to make much sense to me. I would think they would be more of a drain on county officers than anything else. It isn’t as if they are tax payers.

3. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 7:52 am:

We don’t need to study anything! It makes perfect sense! We all need to jump all over this and support it in mass!

4. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 7:56 am:

Some of those comments in the article are ridiculous. The one about Charlie Dean saying that having the police force conduct immigration enforcement “would create fear in the community”. Total b.s.!!! Who would be fearful? The illegal aliens? They should be!!!!! We the people would be perfectly happy and feel safer!

5. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 7:57 am:

Greg, keep us posted as to how will can capitalize on Stirrup’s issues to make it happen!

6. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:03 am:

I spoke at the 2pm meeting, on the trash heaps hidden behind sheds so Zoning can’t see the piles of junk. I showed them pictures of 10131 Lomond Dr w/ about a dozen bags and bins of trash on trash day. I questioned the BOS, that this property is residential, how is it that the county issued a Commericial permit, when this house coded R-4, most subdivision are coded as such. I told them due process needs to be faster than the grass grows, houses with 4foot grass is also contributing to the rat problem. I’d already planned on going to 7:30, after I heard Mr. Stirrup’s resolution, and heard Jenkins and Barg crying it’s too much and we need more thatn 2 weeks. I told them at evening, meeting “that2 weeks is enough, they’re smart(not all, and certainly not all the time), you have the County Attorney to help them with this , 2 weeks is enough, so GET BUSY!!” I closed with need action sooner not later, and reminded them that they are up for re-election in November. I told them I would be back.
    WE MUST MAKE THE PWCBOS WAKE UP AND THE SERVE THE LEGAL CITITZENS.
    I’ve been to the last 4 meetings, since June 5th, everyone should see our BOS in action, or in the case of Hilda, nap time.

7. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:17 am:

I’d like to add I gave my pictures to Clerk for BOS, so these pictures could be shared with all Supervisors. I’d like to know just how helpful has the illegal community been in help PWPD, solving crimes. I just don’t understand how county was known for “rednecks and hicks” has turned into “Mini Mexico”. We must take back our county.

8. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:33 am:

Well keep MJM, thinks that the City’s evaluation of Comcast is worthy of the front page. Meanwhile Stirrups resolution is over on pg A3. We need to be writing letters to the editor, regarding resolution. I think these Supervisors, need to be reminded that yes they represent their district, but collectively they respresent the entire county.

9. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:34 am:

Yes. It is mini Mexico. Especially the Sudley Manor Drive area. That place is a disaster! Along the whole road (all sides and the median) where the illegal aliens trek in their hordes there is trash everywhere! Probably 1,000s of lbs of it! It looks like you are driving to the dump. We need this stopped and stopped now. We want our police force to take action. I don’t care if “fear is created in the community”. Why? Because the only ones “fearful” are the illegal aliens and their anchor babies! This place never looked like this when I moved into this area just shy of 10 years ago! Heck…you cannot even walk through our local grocery stores without walking through a gauntlet of loud Spanish speaking people that look at you funny (as though you are an outsider in your own town). This must stop NOW!

10. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:37 am:

I also don’t like the fact that many of these illegals and their anchor babies are moving into once quiet neighborhoods and trash the place by having 10-30 of them living in a bunkhouse! Our neighborhoods are starting to look like Mexican slums! This must stop as well.

11. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:38 am:

Have you noticed our property values have dropped significantly because of all of this? On my way to work I saw a sign for new houses. The prices of these houses went from the $500K to $400K in about one month!

12. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:40 am:

correction keep MJM, on the denial/wakeup call list.

13. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:41 am:

I recommend that a well-crafted attrition related letter that supports Stirrups position be generated by HSM. We can all sign it and have it delivered with mass signatures to the board of supervisors to show them we mean business!

14. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:54 am:

Patriot/All
    I have noticed the values dropping, I told the BOS last week, I’ m a title examiner in PW. Two months ago, I was doing 2 foreclosure searches per week, I’m now doing 3per day. I told them foreclosures are happening throughout the county, not just the western end, it was happening in Dale City, Lake Ridge, Gainesville and Haymarket. I told them at 2pm yesterday, this was confirmed in a report on Channel 5,Monday night and low and behold the MJM, today reads”Area owners losing houses”. I hope Hilda sees this because 2 of the zips are Woodbridge. Most of these foreclosure are Latinos, but the MJM no longer list the property owners names in foreclosure. These house aresitting empty and owned by the banks are going only make the value drop more. The banks are selling them for $50-$60K below the average sale price in a neighborhood. The banks, don’t live here they don’t care these houses have 4 foot grass and trash left behind. We have to call and call before can be done this.

15. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:57 am:

Patriot GREAT IDEA, have you started yet??

16. k. o'toole said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:02 am:

Hilda Barg said she couldn’t follow the resolution as it was being read. What is she doing on the BOCS? Barg & Jenkins are obstructionists, pure & simple. We cannot let their stall tactics prevail.

Can anyone instruct me to explain to an interested party as to how the resolution will help, since ICE’s policy is “catch & release” anyway? I’m new to this turf, but am attempting to recruit for HSM.

17. Concerned in Wellington said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:06 am:

Jenkins has no lack of understanding; in fact it’s just the opposite. He understands that policies such as those proposed by Supervisor Stirrup are in the interests of the citizens of Prince William County rather than his developer buddies who want the cheap illegal alien labor. The same goes for Covington.

I mentioned in another thread this week that Covington gave us that meaningless request for a “study” of how much providing services to illegals costs County taxpayers. The County wasted a lot of time and money on this, and subsequently nothing happened. Covington, however, felt he made voters think he was on their side when he was afraid of an election challenge.

John Stirrup, who does not get in bed with developers, comes forward now in support of our interests.

Check www.vpap.org. Jenkins and Covington have both raised around $100,000 this year, primarily from developers and development-related interests. Neither have been challenged in their primaries or the general election. What do they need all of this developer money for? None of candidates with challengers (i.e., Stirrup, Stewart, Pandak) have raised anywhere near this amount of money.

18. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:27 am:

Again, we must unite and send a group message to Barg and Jenkins that the people have spoken and if they choose not to listen to us we will remove them promptly from office. Greg, anyway you can get this type of group letter going?
    On another note, if you haven’t already, please sign the Tancredo petition here (fill in your information on the lower right side of the screen): http://www.teamtancredo.com/save_america_index.asp

19. disgusted LEGAL citizen said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:32 am:

Would it be possible to have a similar resolution put forth and adopted by the Manassas City Council?? I’m a city resident and i can tell you, we have the same problems as the county. While it’s unclear as to whether a physical “sanctuary policy” exists, i certainly feel the “sanctuary” attitutude is clearly present. So i would reallly like to see a very strong resolution introduced that states the City of Manassas will also comply with Federal law and all city agencies shall inquire into the immigration status of all those requesting taxpayer-funded county services. It would be great to follow the State of Georgia’s lead, with it’s state-wide law going into effect this July 1 and perhaps this is the way to begin!

20. Patty said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:38 am:

I believe Mr. Stirrup has restored some of my trust with the resolution he offered yesterday. I must say when I first complained of illegal aliens in our neighborhood a couple of years ago I felt like I was all alone. I’ve called everyone from property code enforcement, building code enforcement, John Stirrups office, Chairman’s office, Police Chief’s office, School Board, County Exec, Bob Marshall, Survey response to Jackson Miller and Frank Wolfs office not to mention I’ve even called ICE. I felt like the citizens of this county were being abandoned. I still feel like the illegals have been made a special class and can do and do things with impunity. The citizens have been made subservient to them and that we are paying at least a 3 million dollar tribute to them on an annual basis. So I am glad the Mr. Covington did have the research done because it put a dollar figure on the problem. I also want to say thank you to Mr. Stirrup.

21. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:42 am:

Maybe this will be clear for Barg and Jenkins (and anyone else on the board that doesn’t understand and supports illegal aliens over legal U.S. citizens…they should be prosecuted):

Illegal immigration is a crime. Title 8, Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, “Improper Entry by Alien,” says any citizen of any country other than the United States who: 1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers; or 2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers; or 3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact; has committed a federal crime [emphasis added].

Violators may be fined or imprisoned for up to six months. Repeat offenders may be imprisoned for up to two years. Additional civil fines may be imposed at the discretion of immigration judges.

The U.S. Code also addresses those groups and individuals who assist aliens in illegally entering or residing in the United States. Section 274 says:

“A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

Assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him or her to obtain employment, or Encourages that alien to remain in the U.S. by referring him or her to an employer or by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

Persons convicted of these crimes may be penalized with criminal fines, imprisonment and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used in committing the crime. Persons convicted of employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor.

22. k. o'toole said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:42 am:

Lou Dobbs is also a good resource on what this problem costs the USA.

Is there someone I can call to report about large Molina Cantina trucks(restaurants on wheels) that are going around in the morning hours, doing business in the middle of shopping center parking lots?

23. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:44 am:

We need to get tough on the board of supervisors and let them know we will use the law to prosecute them for violating Federal laws.

24. Advocator said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:45 am:

God bless you, Mr. Stirrup.

25. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:48 am:

The board of supervisors is lazy and corrupt. The only way to let them know we mean business is to use the Federal laws against them. Once they realize we will go after them…they might come around.

26. Maureen Wood said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:00 am:

disgusted LEGAL citizen-Would it be possible to have a similar resolution put forth and adopted by the Manassas City Council??

HSM- will be reviewing this as this is a great tool that all three area jurisdictions can use. We have a meeting tonight at 7:30 Manassas City hall.

27. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:32 am:

Let’s fill the BOS’S inboxes(via, email, faxes, letters and calls) insisting they support Mr. Stirrup’s resolution and also remind them they are up for re-election in November, also if they want that pay raise they’d better start earning it. All of the Supervisor’s contacts are listed at http://pwcgov.org, then click on Gov’t, County BOS, then click on CONTACT US. Please, please we need everyone to get involved, this is the USA, it is our right to be heard.

28. Gaineville Resident said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:33 am:

I called Mr. Stirrup’s office to tell him thank you. Has anyone else? I also called Mr. Stewart’s office too. Please call, fax or visit their offices. Keep up the good fight. I am seeing these flophouses now coming into the Gainesville/Linton Hall area. Yikes!

29. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:39 am:

Gainesville Resident
    I’ve spoken to Gail, Mr. Stirrup’s aide, twice already today, and she had to keep putting me on hold to answer the phones. Thank you GR, we’ve got to keep this up!!!!!!I’m getting results from them and still getting the run around from Zoning and Health Dept. regarding rats and trash heaps hidden from inspectors, I was asked by Zoning, if I had pictures, would I be willing to testify in court. I said yes, in each any everyone of these cases. I think the county thought I would say NO, well they sure got fooled. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying foreclosures are happening in EVERY neighborhood in the county. You need to come to Help Save Manassas meeting tonight and bring a friend or two.

30. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:42 am:

In addition to the “bunk houses” the brothels (within our residence areas) that cater to the poor lonely single illegal immigrants are cropping up too. We don’t need our lovely Manassas and surrounding areas to become a 3rd World slum which it is starting to look like!

31. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 11:14 am:

Everyone better start pounding away at the Waffle House (Warner and Webb). On the floor today:
    Jim Webb D-Virginia was trying to push his amendment,,,,,

He wants to remove “Touch Back”!

“they are here in contradiction to American Law” (No kidding, they are here ILLEGALLY!)

Also he wants to remove the Jan 1, 2007 clause and make it 4 years back!

If you have put down “Roots” you get a pass…….(are you kidding? This will increase the anchor baby crisis!!!!)

What a disaster the waffler is!!!!!!

32. anon said on 27 Jun 2007 at 11:57 am:

Regarding real estate and banks. There are about eight banks that are going bankrupt due to bad loans on houses. Remember, the feds only insure banks accounts to 100K. If you have more money than that you lose it all if the banks shut down.

What an interesting time to be a home buyer.

33. anonymous said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:05 pm:

This has the potential to be as bad as the S&L mess.

34. Stephen Martin (Turn PW Blue) said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:07 pm:

Not to go too far astray of the topic at hand, but let’s keep some sense of realism about the impact of illegal immigrants on the housing market. While we may find anecdotal evidence of loans to illegals, the current hosuing slump is not directly caused by illegal immigration. To frame it as such is disengenuous and misleading. Lots of sub-prime loans have gone to American citizens. Lots of interest-only loans that relieds on steadily increasing houseing values and a hot market went to citizens. While there may be some exasperation of the problem from loans to illegals, we’d still be facing a housing slump if the borders had been sealed tight.

So, I’d suggest sticking to those arguments that are tenable and supportable (as there are more than enough of them) without resorting to hyperbole and stretches that only serve as distractions.

35. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:16 pm:

S Martin
    I’ve said on other threads, this loans were made to all people(American and other nationalities). However, in my neighborhood 95% of the foreclosures were Latino homes, some of them were definately “boarding houses”. I research land records in this county for a living and I work for the busiest title company, I do know. We don’t have to worry about foreclosure with the Middle Easterners they usually pay cash for $600k+ homes.

36. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:16 pm:

And where might you live Stephen? Because that is not what I see with my own eyes! Get a grip pal! Not only are our house values going down due to the slum like conditions that are manifesting, but our social services (welfare, WIC, foodstamps, medical care, education, social security, etc.) are all under siege. What planet do you live on? Oh…some interesting reading as well: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=192153

37. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:19 pm:

Stephen, you might also want to take a look up the 28 corridor out from Manassas. That is a disaster.

38. Loudoun Insider said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:19 pm:

I’ve been ranting about the deleterious effects of over-development for a long time. At least in PWC a number of Republicans get it. In Loudoun County your status as a “real Republican” is measured in direct proportion to your appetite for more and more houses. Anyone looking to slow growth is derided as a “liberal” or “Democrat”.

I posted a while back that the biggest engine behind illegal immigration in this area is the construction industry. I guess I’m becoming less and less of a free market believer because the free market of unlimited residential development has led to a huge influx of illegal immigrant labor, skyrocketing taxes, ridiculous traffic congestion, and now a wave of foreclosures brought on by shoddy lending practices meant to artifically prop up the housing market. Government controls are neccessary to protect us from greedy SOBs that give us crap like that.

And the most ironic thing of all in this mess? These so-called conservatives in Loudoun County have put forth a development policy that has resulted in more and more Democratic-leaning voters. Their policies are directly counterproductive to the long term success of their politcal party, but I guess they won’t need to worry about it since they seem to be lining their pockets and can move elsewhere after they’re gone.

I am thoroughly fed up with both parties now. No one is looking out for the middle class anymore.

39. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:19 pm:

Patriot it sounds like you live in my neck of the woods. Maybe, S Martin, should take a drive through, Westgate, Sudley, Point of Woods, Bristoe Station, Manassas Park, Loch Lomond…just to name a few. I could go on and on…

40. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:21 pm:

Stephen, one more thing, have you noticed the banks in Manassas (off Liberia/28)? They advertise in Spanish. So who do you suppose they are servicing?

41. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:29 pm:

Lafayette, exactly. You see the effects everywhere. I am tired of going into a store and having to walk through gauntlets of Spanish speaking people looking at me like I am an outsider! I am a legal taxpayer U.S. Citizen! They can go pack sand! We need to cut the social benefits off to all non-U.S. Citizens. If they cannot prove they are a U.S. Citizen…they get no benefits (neither do their anchor babies). This attrition method will cause them to go away. Additionally, we need to shut down businesses that hire illegal aliens. The business licenses of these companies need to be permanently revoked. These measures are the only way we will get our neighborhoods back under civil control.

42. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:31 pm:

Furthermore, we need to prosecute all board of supervisor members that support amnesty garbage! These elected officials should fear we the people (if they decide not to work in our favor).

43. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:32 pm:

I’ve just got done calling on the Supervisors’(including Chairman) offices. I spoke to most of their aides, urged them to support Mr Stirrup’s resolution. I had to be firmer in my statements with some than others. Very firm message to Hilda’s aide. Boy, that woman needs out NOW!!

44. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:32 pm:

We need to quit worrying about “Parties” and worry more about actual issues and strategies to mitigate those issues.

45. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:34 pm:

Are there any recall measures that can be taken? Any lawyers out there?

46. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:38 pm:

That’s right Patriot, I’m watching the Senate, neither party is consistant on this issue. Issues are what matter both parties are falling apart.

47. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 12:47 pm:

Same goes with our board of supervisors. Who cares what party someone is from. The bottom-line…where do they stand on the issues? We need a board that can pass votes based on what we the people want and not get all wrapped up in party fingerpointing. That is why nothing ever gets done! Accountability to the people must be the new motto of our elected officials! Those that do not produce measurable results get tossed via recall. These people have lived on the gravy train for too long without getting anything done!

48. Concerned in Wellington said on 27 Jun 2007 at 1:02 pm:

Patriot - our Board of Supervisors gets a lot done. For example, they approved through comprehensive plan amendments (CPAs) and rezonings about 24,000 new residential units during the last few years of Connaughton’s term. If you are a developer, or any business that lives off development, you are very pleased with the Board’s performance. Only Stirrup and Stewart did anything to try to slow this raping of our County. These CPAs and rezonings, in addition to adding thousands of residential units that don’t pay for themselves and add to our tax bills, should be renamed “Full Employment for Illegal Aliens Acts.”

49. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 1:16 pm:

Okay…thanks concerned. I will clarify….they don’t get anything done for we the people. They only get things done that favors illegal alien so-called rights and corrupt big business. Again, we need to let these people know that we will not tolerate this anymore. They will get tossed out. Who knows anything about recall? We seriously need to put that kind of pressure on them.

50. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 1:37 pm:

Patriot I don’t know anything about a recall, I do know Hilda, is not running for re-election, Jenkins, May, Nohe and Covington are running unoposed/uncontested. In the meantime, we’ve got her here on the Board.

51. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 1:41 pm:

Concerned in Wellington
    If you live in Wellington, in the City of Manassas, how do you know so much about PWCBOS, why do care or do also own property or do business in the county , or are you speaking of City of Manassas Council? Perhaps you are concerned about the county and Manassas Park too.

52. Concerned in Wellington said on 27 Jun 2007 at 2:04 pm:

Lafayette - I don’t know any more than anyone else can find out by going to www.vpap.org. They publish data on all candidates’ finance reports, broken down in detail by donors and industries. As far as Board actions (i.e. residential units approved), I’ve been concerned about and following that issue for years. I live in Wellington (PWC section) but am also very concerned about want is going on around me in other jurisdictions.

Regarding the VPAP data, I just spent some time on their web site collecting contributions data on all of the candidates for the PWCBS they list. I’ve ranked them in descending order of the amounts of contributions they’ve received reported as of today on the VPAP web site. Please visit www.vpap.org yourself to see exactly where this money is coming from. Our problem in PWC becomes crystal clear.

The top three fundraisers (Jenkins, Covington and Nohe) are the three board members with the most consistent records of voting pro-development. Barg would be in that list also but she is not running for reelection. Developers and developer-related contributers provided the majority of the contributions these three received. All three are unopposed (both in the primaries and the general election). WHY DO THEY NEED ALL OF THIS DEVELOPER PROVIDED CAMPAIGN FINANCING WHEN THEY ARE UNOPPOSED?

The most important reason in PWC, Manassas and Manassas Park for the illegal alien and overcrowding problems are the jobs made available for illegals by employers who care more about their own bottom lines than they do about obeying the law of the land or the well-being of the communities in which they do business. For us, that means largely developers and development-related businesses. They are obviously willing to come up with funds for elected officials who see things their way.

Jenkins No Opponent 111,185
    Covington No Opponent 90,463
    Nohe No Opponent 83,542
    Caddigan Opposed 54,264
    Stewart Opposed 50,800
    Stirrup Opposed 45,185
    Principi Opposed 37,425
    Pandak Opposed 20,834
    Royse Opposed 9,410
    Keen Opposed 8,506
    May No Opponent 3,913
    Riley Opposed 3,120
    Gray Opposed 0

53. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 2:11 pm:

They need to be reminded that:

So they are in violation of this by proxy.

54. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 2:13 pm:

Or actually…in direct violation. The developers are the ones hiring the illegal aliens. This needs to be rigorously addressed!

55. Stephen Martin (Turn PW Blue) said on 27 Jun 2007 at 2:30 pm:

Patriot, Lafayette, et al…

This is where you hurt your cause. You immediately start attacking me and asking me what planet I live on. You have made some assumptions that just don’t hold. While I ascribe to many Democratic Party values, I do stray when it comes to the enforcement of immigration laws. I believe we should be enforcing the laws on the books. I believe that those who have entered the country illegally don’t have a right to be here. I probably don’t go as far as you in that I believe our current immigration laws are flawed and need fixing (including things like a guest worker program and asylum procedures), but I don’t support giving a path to citizenship for those who chose to circumvent the law in the past. I believe that illegal immigrants who are arrested for any crime should be subject to immigration laws and not be given sanctuary. I do believe that new legal immigrants should attempt to assimilate in the community (though we probably differ on what constitutes assimilation) and that if they truly want to be American citizens, they need to take down the flags of their “homelands.”

That said, I was pointing out earlier that saying the housing slump in the US (not specifically the market in MP or Manasass) is solely the result of illegal immigration is bunk. At a macroeconomic level, it is the result of overbuilding and easy credit and other issues outside the domain of immigration.

As to the coffers of some of the unopposed BOCS candidates, that’s precisely *why* they are unopposed. Who can come up with the hundreds of thousands it would take to challenge an incumbent like Covington (especially since it’s clear there’s more $$$ for him from where the original $$$ came from)?

56. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 2:40 pm:

Stephen, who used the word “solely”. You…need to check your facts before sounding off. Additionally, you have not answered the question that was posed…where do you live? Obviously not in an area that seems to be much of any concern to you. I have to walk and drive through slum type neighborhoods that were once very nice areas. What is your definition of assimilation? My definition is…speak English, read English, carry on with public business in English, and show loyalty to the U.S.. Additionally, don’t demand that our towns be turned into Spanish speaking enclaves.

57. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 2:47 pm:

Oh…and one more thing…the immigrants should not “attempt” to assimilate. We should demand that they assimilate! By not demanding it…our towns and country further balkanizes!

58. Ted said on 27 Jun 2007 at 3:13 pm:

A historical aside. The History Channel had a program on Henry Ford and how he handled his foreign immigrant workforce back in the 20s. In addition to having mandatory English language and citizenship classes for his workers, he had a team of inspectors who would visit the immigrant communities to make sure that his workers were living in reasonably sanitary conditions, treating their families properly, sending their kids to school etc. Pretty intrusive stuff.

And when the workers finished their classes he would have a ceremony in which the workers would show up in the native dress of their home countries, walk into a huge melting “pot”, and emerge from it dressed as an average American to dramatize the transformation from being a Pole/German/Czech/whatever to being an American, which is of course exactly what the immigrants of that time wanted to be.

Can you imagine what the PC crowd would do if a company tried to do that nowawdays?

59. Stephen Martin (Turn PW Blue) said on 27 Jun 2007 at 3:19 pm:

I live in the Linton Hall corridor. I attend church in the heart of the areas you point out. I drive down 28 through MP on my way to work. I’ve seen the things you point out. I also know that parts of MP and Manassas were in decline prior to the “immigrant invasion.” Back then, some called it “white trash” and it was detrimental to the community and housing values.

My definition of assimilation is the same we expected from our immigrant forefathers. Keep in mind that when Italians and Irish and Germans immigrated en masse to the United States, they settled into enclaves where they could find some semblance of normalcy. It wasn’t all roses then either. We survived that “Balkanization” and became a stronger county because ot it.

I believe in the rule of law. Assimilate by abiding by the law of the land. Show loyalty and dedication to the United States. Participate in the political process. Contribute to society. I don’t think any of those requires speaking English (though learning the predominate language of the land will only serve to help you become more a part of the society you have chosen to join).

I don’t let xenophobia drive the debate. This isn’t about the language on the signs. This isn’t about what you hear when standing in line at a store. This is about being a law-abiding, contributing member of society. It is very easy to let this debate devolve into stereotyping, bigotry, and racism. If you really want to make something change, you have to keep control of the argument and not let it devolve into racially-charge rhetoric.

60. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 27 Jun 2007 at 4:23 pm:

VPAP is wrong (I noticed it on their site before.) May DOES have an opponent in Nov. (Mr. Perennial Political Candidate — John Gray.) Caddigan does not as she won her primary and there is no Dem or Ind on the ballot in Nov.

61. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 4:27 pm:

Stephen…you couldn’t be more wrong. Why don’t you do research on Mecha, NCLR, etc. You will come to find that the new wave of Hispanics (in particular) have no desire or intention of assimilating. In fact…in some of the charter schools sponsored by NCLR…it is considered a bad thing for children of Hispanic heritage to do so. There is a big difference between the immigrants of yesteryear and today. So why don’t you go back and do your research.

62. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 27 Jun 2007 at 4:33 pm:

Stephen says:

“This is about being a law-abiding, contributing member of society.”

63. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 4:44 pm:

Stephen…let me be more precise:

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

“In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile…We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language…and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Stephen, maybe you should bounce yourself off of this definition to see if you are assimilated!

64. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 4:50 pm:

Stephen…to assist you in your research…why don’t you take a look at the video via the link below. Additionally, why don’t you bounce this information off from what you see in the streets during recent demonstrations. It is not hard to see the big picture once you put all of the pieces together. You probably get your information from the liberal news.

Analysis of the The Aztec Al-Qaeda video. Shows ties between NCLR, Mayor of Los Angeles Antonio Villaraigosa, and Mecha.

Time: 0:06 – 0:12 States that Marcos Aguilar is the Principal and founder of the Academia Semillas del Pueblo charter school.

Time: 0:12 – 0:17 States that the Mayor of Los Angeles Antonio Villaraigosa and Marcos Aguilar were members of the UCLA chapter of Mecha.

Time: 0:18 – 0:26 States that Mecha was founded for the sole purpose of “radicalizing young Latino students for the hatred of America and to promote Chicano pride and separatism”

Time: 0:33 – 0:38 States that Mecha “seeks nothing less than control of the United States through the ballot box or by armed revolution”

Time: 0:40 – 0:44 States that Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was President of UCLA chapter of Mecha.

Time: 1:00 – 1:04 States that Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa demanded Communist inclusion within the UCLA Chicanos study center.

Time: 1:30 – 1:55 Marcos Aguilar discusses that it is a bad thing for Mexican children to become “Americanized” (which would mean that it is a bad thing for Mexican children to assimilate into the common American Identity which is what all true Americans have done to keep this nation together and united).

Time: 1:55 – 2:24 States that the Academia Semillas del Pueblo charter school that is run by Marcos Aguilar caters to grades K through 8, is funded by State tax-payers and the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), that most of the students are children of illegal aliens, and that these children are taught a language now used by the Mexican Mafia.

Time: 2:24 – 2:37 Marcos Aguilar states “nowhere in the Constitution of the United States or the Declaration of Independence does it say that because you come here you have to now become an American. English, math, and American history take a backseat to Danza Azteca”

Time: 2:54 – 3:28 Clearly shows the violence of Chicano radicals and La Raza against legal American citizens.

Time: 4:04 – 6:28 Shows Marcos Aguilar’s affiliation with Juan Alvarez (who was a member of the Mecha club) who was involved in derailing a passenger train that killed 11 people and injuring approximately 200 people in 2005 in Glendale, CA.

Time: 6:30 – 7:18 States that KABC Reporter Sandy Wells was attacked after trying to interview Marcos Aguilar at the Academia Semillas del Pueblo charter school that he runs, and that when news of the event was made known to the public, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa stated that he supported the school and its teaching philosophy.

Time: 7:18 – 7:23 Quote from Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa (while serving as the President of UCLA chapter of Mecha) “For those of the race, everything. For those outside the race, nothing.”

Time: 7:32 – 7:36 The National Council of La Raza opened 50 new charter schools in 2005.

65. The Patriot said on 27 Jun 2007 at 4:51 pm:

I rest my case.

66. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 6:29 pm:

S Martin
    I wasn’t attacking you..I just asked some questions of you.Thanks for your response. I don’t hurt this cause, have you been to any BOS meetings and spoken? I’m sorry as a life long resident of the same block this quite emotional and enough of the illegal aliens around. I think we all wants best for the county and 2 cities, I know I do. Some other family members have lived in the City of Manassas, over 60years. I’m sorry, I want to ask one more question. Have you been around here more than 20 years. If you have than I know you have the drastic changes to our entire community. Hope to see you at Help Save Manassas tonight.

67. Lafayette said on 27 Jun 2007 at 6:30 pm:

correction
    we all want what’s best for the county and 2cities.

68. Scott said on 27 Jun 2007 at 6:45 pm:

It made the news on NBC4. Their web poll shows support of 96%.

69. Scott said on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:57 pm:

70. anony said on 27 Jun 2007 at 9:24 pm:

Here is another of the Manassas cuddly illegal population at work:

A Manassas-area man who was shot by a security guard at about 10 p.m. Sunday died Monday, said Officer Erika Hernandez, Prince William police spokeswoman.

Police said Evelio Cordero-Montenegro, 23, of 11373 Golden Leaf Circle was threatening people with a knife and a beer bottle in the Jackson’s Ridge apartment-town house complex in the Sudley area, when he was confronted by the security guard, Hernandez said

The 53-year-old security guard from Nokesville told police he witnessed Cordero-Montenegro’s threatening behavior.

The security guard shot Cordero-Montenegro when he ignored “several commands,” Hernandez said.

Police did not release the guard’s name.

“He has not been charged yet,” Hernandez said of the guard who worked for Interstate Protective Services, a security firm that contracted with the leasing company at the complex.

No one else was injured, Hernandez said.

Police are investigating, and the incident is being reviewed by the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, Hernandez said.

71. Stephen Martin (Turn PW Blue) said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:16 pm:

“The problem is, their very first act upon entering this country was illegal and their continued presence means they are not “law-abiding”. Riley, Not O’Reilly (4:33 pm)

You’re absolutely correct and nothing I have said should lead you to believe I think otherwise.

Patriot…
    Dude, chill a little. I totally agree that groups that make no attempt to become part of thier community and contribute to it have not assimilated. Please, control the temper and the personal vehemance. My earlier point is that such vitriol only goes towards making you sound like a lunatic on the fringe. If you read what I said about assimilation and then compare that to the Roosevelt quote you provide, I don’t see how they are that different (with the exception of language–and there is where I struggle). Of course, it is interesting to note that Roosevelt was concerned with Eastern and Central European immigrants.

Lafayette…
    I’ve been in PWC for 10 years, NoVa for more than 20.

Anony (9:24pm)…
    And you know Evelio Cordero-Montenegro is an illegal because??? Is it the name? So does that mean Officer Hernandez is illegal too? I don’t know one way or the other from the article you posted because it doesn’t identify whether or not the Cordero-Montenegro was an illegal. It may very well be that he was, but jumping to the conclusion without the facts stated only bolsters the argument by supporters of “undocumented immigrants” that the hue and cry against them is racially motivated.

72. anon said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:33 pm:

“I don’t know one way or the other from the article you posted because it doesn’t identify whether or not the Cordero-Montenegro was an illegal.”

Just using this excerpt to make a point, one which is not directed at Stephen in any way:

Wouldn’t it be nice if our police department didn’t make it their policy to keep this a secret from the taxpaying citizens. If we had the FACTS, then we could make a reasoned judgement. Keeping it a secret serves only to breed suspicion. After all, there must be SOME reason that immigration status is secretive - perhaps it is so that we just don’t have any idea of the magnitude of the problem. A little sunlight on the issue would surely help.

73. Maureen Wood said on 28 Jun 2007 at 1:39 am:

anon said on 27 Jun 2007 at 10:33 pm: -

Stephen Martin-”And you know Evelio Cordero-Montenegro is an illegal because???”

I have to agree with you on this. We can’t assume that anyone with a Hispanic sir name is illegal.

Unfortunately it is easy to get into that mind frame, since NO ONE distinguishes between who is legal and who is not. The worst offenders of this are actually the illegal alien apologists, since they want to legitimize illegals, they group them with legal residents. This is grossly unfair to the population that came here through legal channels and had to wait YEARS to do so.

74. The Patriot said on 28 Jun 2007 at 7:22 am:

Stephen, I find it fascinating that you think I need to “chill”. I provided facts (to back up my statements). What have you provided…just your opinion. There is a difference. Show me my statement(s) that made you believe I am a lunatic. You haven’t brought your facts to the table. I have not only brought facts, but when you use your own eyes (in addition to the facts), you can see that what the facts say is actually happening. So please, do your homework and quit trying to make yourself sound like a pompous academic that thinks they know everything. Open your eyes and do some research. As far as language is concerned…I take T. Roosevelt’s stance. This is America. English is our common bond to communicate and unite. If we cannot communicate as a unified nation, we become balkanized. Why do you think T. Roosevelt was saying the things that he said? He knew that balkanization would be the downfall of this country. I suppose you haven’t watched the video I posted and the commentary either. It is apparent in your response.

75. anon said on 28 Jun 2007 at 10:48 am:

“The police department isn’t keeping it a secret, they aren’t allowed to ask about anyone’s immigration status.”

Yes, the Police Department IS keeping it a secret. That’s what Charlie Deane’s policy does - keep it a secret.

If the police asked the question - if the police were allowed to ask the question - then we would KNOW just how big this illegal alien crime problem really is.

I suspect that some people DON’T want us to know.

76. Stephen Martin (Turn PW Blue) said on 28 Jun 2007 at 1:36 pm:

Patriot–
    I said you need to “chill” because on a broad level WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE yet you insist on continuing to argue on the fringes. That’s a great way to take someone sympathetic to your cause and turn them into an enemy. That’s the point I’ve been trying to make from the very beginning. I never said immigrants shouldn’t learn English. I never said immigrants should continue to wave the flags of their former nations. I never said immigrants should set up their own schools and retain as much of their native culture as possible, yet you insist on trying to draw me into an argument over such matters. As someone who tends to fall on the left end of the political spectrum on most issues, I am already in an unfamiliar position finding myself aligned with people of much more conservative ilk. It doesn’t encourage me to keep holding this position when I am lambasted because I don’t ascribe lockstep to everything you believe. Focus your energy on arguing with those who don’t share ANY of your views rather than alienating one who would be amicable to your position (in general).

77. AWCheney said on 28 Jun 2007 at 4:18 pm:

Hey Stephen…you need a little thicker skin as well (see last half of “Stirrup’s Resolution On Illegal Aliens” thread). I agree that no issue is totally black and white, and the shades of gray must be respected as well. I believe that the majority of the people involved in this issue are new to political action, and are only involved now because of their passion for the issue itself. Cut them some slack, just as I agree that they should cut you some.

78. The Patriot said on 28 Jun 2007 at 4:28 pm:

I stated facts not fluff. I will cut no slack. And no…I am not new to political action.

79. The Patriot said on 28 Jun 2007 at 5:01 pm:

Stephen…I quoted T. Roosevelt and I provided a link for a video that tied a lot of information together. What part of that do you not understand? If you review the threads you will find that you stirred the pot not me. I was merely pointing out that truth. As far as the language component is concerned….you yourself said that is what you “struggled” with. I side with T. Roosevelt’s position. As far as what I reported from what I see in the community with my own eyes on a daily basis….that is fact. And please use the word illegal aliens (not immigrants). Legal immigrants are not a problem.