video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Fat Naked Guy Still At Large

By Greg L | 29 June 2007 | Crime, Manassas City | 17 Comments

One of our readers was at the scene of a bizarre incident that happened on Tuesday where a guy wearing only workboots was wandering around the Wellington Community swimming pool, which got mention in the Manassas Journal-Messenger today.  She reported that police searched the area a bit, but didn’t seem overly concerned that a number of day care facilities were in the area and never made any effort to alert them to the situation.  When she contacted the police dispatcher, their opinion was that this guy was “pretty harmless”.  Perhaps.

Mr. Pot Bellied Naked Guy is still at large, the MJM reports:

Two girls, ages 15 and 16, told police that a man was exposing himself in the parking lot of the Wellington Community swimming pool off Cloverhill Road in Manassas around 2:50 p.m. Tuesday, said Sgt. Tim Neumann, police spokesman.

The flasher is described as a white man, between ages 35 and 40 and approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall. He is said to have a big belly. He was wearing brown boots and nothing else, Neumann said.

The victims continued walking to the pool and then called police.

Officers searched the area but did not find the flasher, Neumann said.

Be on the lookout for overweight naked people wandering around swimming pools.  That is all.

1. I Saw It said on 29 Jun 2007 at 10:38 am:

I saw one police officer on foot that day searching. The area has many houses and wooded areas. The k-9 wasn’t out either. I do have to say the police presence was great in the area but driving around in a car to find the “naked man with a big belly” didn’t do much good. I think very highly of our police department but was very upset to see how little effort seemed to be given in trying to find this guy.

And how they knew this guy was “harmless” when he obviously has a mental deficiency is beyond me.

The up side to this is that the MJM actually put a crime that happened in the City in the paper. Maybe they will also start reporting on more of the crime that is going on here,. Like the gang graffiti all up and down Wellington Road where this incident took place.

2. citizenofmanassas said on 29 Jun 2007 at 11:24 am:

I too noticed the new gang graffiti this week. I wonder if the new neighborhood coordinator knows about it.

3. Maureen Wood said on 29 Jun 2007 at 12:31 pm:

COM

The graffiti that was on City property has been cleaned off. The graffiti on the Giant sign has not been cleaned, since the City doesn’t clean it off of private property.

I asked someone what aw-13 meant and I was told it was ms-13 and it was written backwards. I don’t have a clue why.

Does anyone else know about the significance of this?

4. Lafayette said on 29 Jun 2007 at 1:38 pm:

I Saw It
    Wow, that’s a much more detail and info than I got from the MJM. I just happy it was in the paper. We all need remember, kids are out of school and outside now. These types of crimes are prevalent and reported during the warm months.

5. Lafayette said on 29 Jun 2007 at 1:40 pm:

I want to be clear, I’m NOT saying these types of crimes only happen when it’s warm weather, I just see it reported in the paper more during these months.

6. anon said on 29 Jun 2007 at 2:00 pm:

It is unfortunate that the police department is taking this so lightly.

The fact is that the behavior of flashers frequently escalates into significantly more serious behavior.

A “professional” department would know that.

7. Marcus Aurelius said on 29 Jun 2007 at 6:03 pm:

To Ms. Wood…gang graffiti backwards, or upsides down or crossed out, is degrading to the gang receiving the message.

Given Manassas’ growing gang culture it could be the Latin Kings attempting to take over an area from MS-13.

Not knowing specifics, I would guess that another gang is either knocking on the door or actively pushing at MS-13 currently.

8. Marcus Aurelius said on 29 Jun 2007 at 6:06 pm:

…another quick point, if local police is not able to assist with these issues, or are not knowledgeable, I can suggest some folks who can assist with gand identification and school shootings/youth violence.

9. REDAWN said on 29 Jun 2007 at 7:18 pm:

Marcus, Greg,
    I think we need an education of gang related messages, signs, etc. I am sure we can ALL ASK OUR KIDS and they would know. Amazing what you learn in SCHOOL~

10. Thumper said on 29 Jun 2007 at 7:57 pm:

Lafayette,
    Most crime does go up during the summer. Any cop will tell you that. This type crime almost always happens during the summer. Yes it can happen at any time but summer is extremely more likely. Also, it’s time for child predators to come out, summer, all the kids are home and parents are at work.

11. citizenofmanassas said on 29 Jun 2007 at 9:18 pm:

However, let a couple of law abiding guys show up with guns to eat out, and every police office on duty will show up. Yet, this guy who was breaking the law seems to have receieved half the attention.

12. Maureen Wood said on 29 Jun 2007 at 10:46 pm:

Marcus Aurelius -

Thank you. I know there is a relatively new gang in GTS called 202 South Boys. If they were challenging MS 13 wouldn’t they also leave their call sign?

If you have a contact with someone who knows about gangs I would like to talk to them.

If you can email Greg at admin@bvbl.net to give me the contact that would be great. Greg I hope you don’t mind.

13. Greg L said on 29 Jun 2007 at 11:03 pm:

By all means, if we can gather some good intel on what’s going on with the gangs we need to get that out to folks so they can help put a stop to it.

14. Lafayette said on 29 Jun 2007 at 11:28 pm:

Here’s some helpful info for Peddler, Solicitor and Vendor License: http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/005682.pdf
    and http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/004195.pdf They must provide proof of citizenship, to obtain Peddler’s License and all APPLICANTS ARE FINGERPRINTED,PHOTOGRAPHED AND A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION IS DONE. I was pleased to see potographed and fingerprinted at time of application.

15. Scott said on 30 Jun 2007 at 10:35 am:

Gang members will often times write graffiti backwards, it is not uncommon.

16. Lafayette said on 30 Jun 2007 at 11:42 am:

The backwards graffiti, I’ve seen in Irongate and Cavalry Run, on a brand new privacy fence along Ashton Ave. I’ve also seen on back of stores in shopping centers, in both cities and the county. I think people see this, and just don’t know what it means. Thank you Marcus, I had no clue.

17. James Young said on 30 Jun 2007 at 6:00 pm:

RE: the original post — If he was that fat, perhaps it was just a mistake. After all, with what passes for bathing suits these days, maybe he just had a speedo, or a thong.

Horrible thought, I know. Anybody see the “Norbit” preview?