The Unasked Question

By Greg L | 31 July 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Crime | 57 Comments

Today’s Washington Post has a fascinating article about a case of identity theft where instead of trying to steal money from the victim, the intent was to use the stolen identity in order to purchase real estate.  Although Post reporter Tom Jackman expresses some surprise that the intent here wasn’t to simply steal money, had he dug into this story a little more he likely would have discovered the troublesome problem of illegal aliens stealing identities in order to falsify their status for employment purposes, qualify for auto loans, and yes, even buy a $419,000 town house.  Could this be another case of an illegal alien stealing the identity of a U.S. citizen?  That’s the big unasked question in this article.

This is hardly an uncommon occurrence.  A five year old child in Utah had her identity stolen by an illegal alien.  The Utah Attorney General’s office says that upwards of 20,000 children in Utah may be similarly victimized.  A reporter with the San Francisco Chronicle had his identity stolen by an illegal alien, and recounts his ordeal here.  A fifth grade teacher had her identity stolen by illegal aliens, prompting the IRS to start going after her for non-payment of taxes.  Imagine being a high school student who applies for a loan in order to pay for college, only to discover that your credit record is filled with years of derogatory information.  Some don’t have to imagine this, they live it.

Had the Post pursued this story further, they might have turned it from a quirky anecdote into something of real relevance to readers.  I guess demonstrating that illegal aliens actually do victimize U.S. citizens on a frequent basis, rather than being simply “hard working” “undocumented immigrants” worthy of only our compassion isn’t something the Post really wants it’s readers to know.

1. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 11:26 am:

Of course the Post doesn’t care about that angle … their coverage is consistently biased pro-amnesty, pro-illegal, pro-sob story.

Get someone’s wallet, obtain $420,000 worth of mortgages? Banks are willing to drop half a mill to people so easily? that’s the America we live in, most Americans don’t understand it (because it wasn’t that way when WE were struggling to take out mortgages), and darn it yes it needs to be explained in media coverage.

As more and more people become aware of the double standard in treatment between law-abiding US citizens (who are expected not to engage in identity fraud, to pay all taxes, to pay for hospital care, etc. etc.) and the Spanish-speaking community which consists mostly of illegals (who are catered to and marketed to incessantly by local governments and money brokers) it makes them angry, and as this becomes increasingly understood you’re seeing a sea change of opinion.

2. Lafayette said on 31 Jul 2007 at 12:08 pm:

I agree with Rick Bentley. It always amazes me when doing a title exam here in PW, the number of people who take a title with only one last name, and then come to find out there’s another last name. I think this is pretty sneaky behavior. My husband and I had to go through a lot to purchase and finance our house, but it appears the Hispanics have no problems.
    The media must do a better job of reporting the cold hard facts that aren’t always that pretty. The media outlets MUST use the proper term “illegal alien”, not “undocumented worker” or “unauthorized entrant” etc.
    The time has come that the “red carpet” needs to be rolled up and burned.

3. Clean it up in '07 said on 31 Jul 2007 at 12:44 pm:

“but it appears the Hispanics have no problems.”

Probably best for the cause here to use “illegal alien” (many who happen to be Hispanic) and not paint with such a broad brush. This is what gives the other side ammunition against this great movement for real reform.

4. citizenofmanassas said on 31 Jul 2007 at 1:15 pm:

Not a shock the Post covers for illegal aliens. Just like the MJM did last week when it allowed an article to state illegals have a lower crime rate then Native Americans do. We all know the crime rate for illegals is 100%.

5. Onan the Barbarian said on 31 Jul 2007 at 1:47 pm:

Help me out here. I missed where in the article it said she was illegal.

6. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 1:52 pm:

Onan, That is a rethoric question, tigh? She is Hispanic so she is an illegal alien.
    In my case, whenver I refer to pedophiles I say White and drug dealers Black. There is no need to be politically correct….

7. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 1:57 pm:

It didn’t say that - but the larger issue about these types of fraudulent loans has to do with illegals, and if you visit Prince William County you can see it all around.

How can people straddling the poverty line afford $420,000 townhouses? By piling in multiple families, and renting out kids rooms and basements to other illegals. Again, come to PWC and particularly to my neighborhood and I can give you a walking tour, if you think this is not real.

And the larger issues of identity fraud in general have mostly to do with illegals.

8. anonymous said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:02 pm:

“Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Lisa A. Wilson said Cabrera-Rivera had her brother, Juan Carlos Cabrera-Rivera, pose as Lara on several occasions, using Lara’s driver’s license, Social Security card and health insurance card. The brother has since left the country, Salvado said.”

Guess he decided to leave before he faced charges too.

9. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:03 pm:

Two Americas. One where US/Virginia citizens are expected to play by the rules, and even pay exhorbitant amounts of fines if caught driving without a liscence.

Another America where you don’t need citizenship, don’t need legal entry, paying drug dealers money to smuggle you in is seen as personal heroism on your part, ID fraud is part of daily life, drivers liscences are optional, Spanish is the national language, and if anything goes wrong for you you will have some political activist shedding tears for you in the Washington Post and mass media. And where the hospitals and educational system are free, and you feel entitled to it because you paid sales tax at the 7-11 when buying that case of Modesto.

And when you overtax the system - which was built (sewer pipes, electricity capacity, police force, roads, parking, school systems) for a town populated about 1/3 as densely as the houses you live in, the gringos will fix it all with their money. Or if not, you’ll be herded into a group to go demonstrate in the streets - that’ll teach them.

10. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:04 pm:

Press 1 for English
    Press 2 for Spanish
    Press 3 if like me you’re mad as hell about what this nation is turning into, while our corrupt elite leaders in their gated communities talk of “xenophobia”

11. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:05 pm:

Rick you answwered my questions and supported my argument. The fact that most serial killers are white you can use either term to refer to criminals.

12. anonymous said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:09 pm:

Why are most serial killers white, anyway?

13. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:11 pm:

TH I’m not going to argue with a retarded person. Best of luck to you for overcoming that handicap and posting on a public message board - you should be proud of yourself.

For my own part, in my first post when I said “Spanish speaking community” I should have been more precise and said “Spanish-first community”.

14. Mando said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:28 pm:

“Help me out here. I missed where in the article it said she was illegal.”

It’s a Washington Post article. To them, there are no illegals.

15. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:53 pm:

Better yet Rick, whenever a post come that opposes your arguments call them Morons. I think that I won’t post again and then your problems with illegal aliens will be fixed.
    Spanish first is really moronic. I have never heard the term anywhere else and yes I am stupid because I don’t understand it.
    So If I speak spanish first I am not only strupid I am here illegally.

16. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:58 pm:

Let’s say that there were here illegally. The committed a crime before when they came to the country and then identity theft.
    Are all “Spanish Speaking” people illegal? You see even asking the question sounds dumb. We are going beyond the skin now. Maybe it was a mistake Rick, one of those that Freud used to love ( I guess that you are smart enough to know about Freud)

17. monticup said on 31 Jul 2007 at 2:58 pm:

These illegal aliens do not speak Spanish. They speak a sort of pidgin Spanish, a combination of Aztec and Spanish. I guarantee the real Spaniards in Spain would not understand them.

18. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:00 pm:

Better yet Rick, get rid of all retarded people in your world and then the illegal aliens will take their big ship and leave for another planet.
    My point is that you cannot come to a post and expect that your arguments will convince a lot of people and that everybody will agree. It happens that I disagree with you and you haven’t answered my question, are all illegal aliens spanis speaking people?

19. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:04 pm:

anonymous,
    Only come to my mind three serial killers whoi were not white and that doesn’t make all white people serial killers. This guy see identity theft in an article and then comes with the brilliant idea that all spanish speaking people are here illegally. Just because I disagree, I am stupid. He was not capable to see my point that you cannot generalize and put people into categories just because a type of crime is prevalent in a group.
    I am the first to recognize that a lot of illegal aliens in this country (almost all) have fake papers to work in this country.

20. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:06 pm:

monticup,
    You are even more ignorant. There is no Aztec. If you are the only one to speak it, congratulations. The Aztec spoke nauatl. There are a lot of spanish words that come directly from it and the language has evolved a lot to include them. There is sopmething call the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language and they take into consideration all these changes.

21. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:15 pm:

TH not all illegal aliens speak Spanish. On a national and also a local level I don’t want to discriminate based on any criteria other than illegal status.

To review :
    Connection between Post story and issue of illegals in PWC = how easy it is to fradulently get a mortgage loan, because banks started catering to illegal aliens some time ago

Correlation between speaking Spanish and being here illegally is extremely high, to the point that I think not speaking English should be probable cause

Most people have nothing against speaking Spanish until it starts to surround them in their own neighborhoods and shopping areas, at which point it upsets some of us who see it as symptomatic of an out-of-control illegal population

22. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:18 pm:

I should say, correlation betwen not speaking English (speaking Spanish only) and being illegal is extremely high.

23. Mando said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:20 pm:

“People in Spain understand latin americans as well as the english understand the americans”

I’ve also heard it from a friend from Venezuela that the Spanish spoken by most latinos in the area is not true Spanish. I’m not attesting to whether or not that’s true, just saying I’ve heard something similar to what monticup stated. My freind has gone into fast food joints and spoke spanish to some obviously fluent spanish speakers and there still was a language disconnect.

24. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:22 pm:

You have some good point but the way you say it now makes more sense. There is a correlation and the probabilty is very high.
    The language on itself is not a problem. I know that won’t be able to succeed in this country if they don’t speak English.
    I think it is an issue of lack of education and lack of understanding (respect sometimes) of US culture.
    Some of these people are ignorant here or in San Salvador.
    Why do you have to deal with that? well that is part of the discussion here.
    Thanks for the civilized answer.

25. AWCheney said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:23 pm:

Wow TH, you’re really going win friends and influence people when you can’t post a comment without peppering it with personal attacks…and don’t hand me that schoolyard argument, “he did it first.” You’ve been guilty of that numerous times on other threads. At least BornHere kept it civil, and at an intellectual level.

26. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:28 pm:

The problem Mando is that you are talking about different regions. People from South America were conquered by Spaniards from different Spanish regions. The natives in all the americas have different languages and it is natural that some of those aspects were incorporated into the way they speak spanish. You have slangs in the south of this country that are different from the ones in the north (or let’s say Ebonics).
    Also, there is an education factor among people coming from the same countries. You cannot expect that someone with a last name Fox (Vicente) will use the same expressions that someone from Chiapas with less education.
    Y=The fact that your Venzuelan friend didn’t understand some of the slang used by some of the local illegal aliens doesn’t mean that they cannot communicate.

27. John Light said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:28 pm:

The terms “Illegals” and “Hispanics” have become synonymous because so many in that community tend NOT to learn English that they stick out like a sore thumb. The truth is, there are MANY nationalities here in the U.S. that fall under the category of “illegals” who are NOT “Hispanic” - Pakistani’s, Irish, Chinese, Indian (too name but a few).

Dare I say that the REAL unspoken threats are those “illegals” who came here on work or student visas LEGALLY, over-stayed the expiration of the Visa, and are sending care packages to Al Queda (or however you spell it). Don’t get me wrong, I am against ALL who are in this country illegally and have zero tolerance for them, but we need to remember that this Hispanic community, as loud and boisterous as they may be, do not “own” the word “illegal’.

28. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:29 pm:

Sorry AWCheney you are right. I will keep it civil. You are one of the few that I can say that try to have a dialogue. Sorry again, my bad.

29. Mando said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:47 pm:

@TH - I figured as much. Just thought it was curious after reading monticup’s post. I’ve actually heard the same thing from 2 Venezualens. I figured it was dialect differences. One of them actually called it peasent Spanish. And these two Venezualens don’t know each other so I was wondering if I had taken and learned spanish in high school too many years ago would that have even been enough.

On a side note, I witnessed a check-out lady at Giant get verbally accosted by a Spanish lady only a few hours ago. First, because the employee wanted the lady to pay before wheeling her groceries out to her car then because the employee didn’t speak Spanish. She called her ‘puta’ several times (puta = whore) then stormed out of the store.

The kicker was the employee is an immigrant from Ethiopia. So she learned English to function in America but gets called a whore for not speaking spanish…

30. park'd said on 31 Jul 2007 at 3:57 pm:

As far as I can tell, most people on here try to have a dialog.

31. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 4:06 pm:

I think that English is not only important to function but to succeed in this country. It doesn’t mean that they won’t speak spanish but it is hard for them to realize. We are not getting the educated people from Latin America. Even for their own countries standards, the majority of the people here lack skills and education. That doesn’t make them bad people though but it is more difficult to make them to assimilate.
    The kids are assimilating and depending on the ooprtunities we give them this assimilation could be successful.

32. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 4:09 pm:

You are right pak’d. It was just a bad reaction to a generalization that made sense once Rick explained it better. You have seen my post and my reaction to namecalling. I should have avoided it. i think it is a temptation to bring your passion to the debate rather than a well-cemented argument

33. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 4:15 pm:

Mando,
    You are right. Accents and expressions are the result of this lack of skills. A lot of these illegal aliens that you see don’t come from the cities. Some will be more educated and left for political reasons. Regardless of their spanish, people can communicate among the different regions. A couple of years ago i translated all the Papa Johns Pizza manuals from English to Spanish. Two people have tried before I came aboard. they were not successful with the translation because the were using their regional colloquilisms. There is a standard spanish that most people understand though.

34. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 4:16 pm:

Sorry I meant colloquialisms…

35. Bob Sentz said on 31 Jul 2007 at 6:19 pm:

The bottom line is groups like mexicans without borders, M.E.Ch.A., The Brown Berets de Aztlan, OLA (Organization for the Liberation of Aztlan), La Raza Unida Party, and the “Nation of Aztlan” to name a few are socialist, anarchists that want nothing more than to see the demise of the United States of America. I can’t remember you posted the link to the video of a protest (that kills me a protest in the streets with a bunch of illegals…only in America!) in Houston, but I can tell you that pisses me off. Here is a link to that video in case anyone missed it. http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?page_id=810
    I’m thinking about taking a copy of it to the next city council meeting and play it for them.

I don’t see any other race of immigrants demanding that their illegal brothers be greeted with open arms and wallets.

For the Christian brethen here is my two Sentz…I found the following article and am posting it just as it appears at http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2007/07/27/christians-and-illegal-immigration/

Over the years my community has been negatively impacted by a massive influx of illegal immigrants. There’s been a huge increase in violence and crime, job loss, and a housing shortage. It’s taxing our education and health care systems. We’re all paying the price for people who refuse to abide by the law. I know that as a Christian, I’m supposed to have compassion for the poor and needy. But I’m really struggling with this.
    —Overwhelmed

That’s an e-mail sent to the editor of the “Everyday Theology” section of Today’s Christian magazine last year. The editor replies:

Your frustration is understandable. The Scriptures have a lot to say about what is just and fair. It admonishes us to honor both the laws of God and the law of the land, showing respect for civil authority: “For the Lord is a God of justice … ” (Is. 30:18).

But many of the same Scriptures—often in the same sentence—also remind us that the Lord is a God of mercy, that He longs to be gracious to us and wants us to extend grace to others. Consider His words to Israel in Deuteronomy 10:17-19: “The Lord your God … shows no partiality and takes no bribes. He gives justice to orphans and widows. He shows love to the foreigners living among you and gives them food and clothing. You, too, must show love to foreigners, for you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt.”

Christians who criticize other Christians for complaining about illegal “immigration” typically cite the “love those who are aliens” verses in the Bible as some sort of proof that we shouldn’t complain about illegal aliens, but those verses are instructing Christians not to be prejudiced against foreigners simply because they’re foreigners. They’re not instructing us to turn a blind eye to foreigners breaking the law.

(This post isn’t a direct response to the editor who answered the letter. It’s mostly in response to people who’ve criticized me.)

I doubt ancient Israel had immigration laws, but if it had, do you imagine the God of the Bible would admonish his people for regulating their borders? It may seem like a silly question, but based on what I know of God, the answer would be, “No.”

It is not unbiblical or “un-Christian” to speak out against illegal “immigration” and what it’s doing to our country, or to use legal means to curb the problem.

While I don’t believe the term “aliens” in the Bible refers to aliens who disregard a host country’s laws, the message is understood. Christians, commissioned to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all, are to evangelize, love, and be compassionate toward aliens as well as their own countrymen.

But here’s where some Christians get it twisted: Christ-professing foreigners are under the same mandate as Christian citizens: to evangelize, to honor and obey God, to love the people of that land, and, let’s not forget, obey the laws of that land.

Every time Christians have criticized me in the comment section for speaking out — and speaking loudly — against illegal aliens, they cite the same verses and remind me that Jesus ministered to the poor, was merciful, etc. In turn, I asked those same critics, sometimes in the post itself, sometimes in the comment section, if they’ve ever admonished illegal aliens who say they’re Christians, and if not, what they’d say to them about crossing our borders in violation of our laws and showing little compassion themselves.

I have never — never — gotten a coherent answer to that question. Not one.

Now, as sinners, we do have to be careful of prejudice and bigotry. If the influx of illegal aliens belongs to a homogenous group, there is a tendency to lash out at the entire group or people who look like members of the group. That is something we Christians need to pray about and to work on. But that in no way implies we should cease complaining about foreigners invading our land and changing our culture for the worst — or trying to stop the invasion through legal means — simply because we don’t want to be perceived as bigots.

If you’re a Christian who has confronted Christ-professing illegal aliens about their lawbreaking activity, I’d love to hear from you. I’ll post instructive (and coherent) responses. My e-mail address is barbersview [AT] yahoo [DOT] com.

36. Anon said on 31 Jul 2007 at 6:56 pm:

This area is one of the most expensive in the country for housing. I am wondering if and how anyone knows for sure that Latinos, Asians, and others legally here are not also combining together to share homes in numbers that most Americans would find unacceptable. Does the single fact of sharing in large numbers make the people illegal?

Another perspective on housing and illegal immigrants.

37. manassascityresident said on 31 Jul 2007 at 7:26 pm:

Just a thought….

38. Clean it up in '07 said on 31 Jul 2007 at 7:41 pm:

Thank you John Light. Once again you hit the nail on the head. Illegals come in all stripes…..and maybe they need to be wearing those stripes.

39. manassascityresident said on 31 Jul 2007 at 7:59 pm:

AMEN!

40. Anon said on 31 Jul 2007 at 8:22 pm:

Since there are millions more people in Latin America speaking varieties of [Castilian] Spanish than there are in the mother country, Spain, perhaps we shouldn’t be so quick to assume who needs to alter whose language. Or would you all accept the contempt some Brits display when they dismiss us as speaking American?

41. anonymous said on 31 Jul 2007 at 8:32 pm:

About the biggest difference between written British English and written American English that I’ve noticed (other than spelling) is that they refer to organizations in plural.

Whereas we would say “Ford has introduced a new vehicle…” they would say “Ford have introduced a new vehicle”.

They also use terms like dodgy, spanner, petrol, and torch.

I get the impression that the differences between Mexican Spanish and European Spanish run much deeper than that…

42. Anon said on 31 Jul 2007 at 8:46 pm:

Anonymous, I would agree with you for the most part. I would just note that there are a lot more vocabularly differences than you would think among different Englishes: Brit, US, Aussie, NZ, etc. My point was more the contempt expressed in some saying Americans speak American as though our English was less legitimate. I am not sure why you focus on Mexican Spanish since I would guess that Spanish from any Latin American country is going to be substantially different than the Castilian spoken in Spain (don’t want to ignore the fact that lots of people in Spain speak other languages than Castilian Spanish, like Catalan, Galician, Basque, etc.).

43. park'd said on 31 Jul 2007 at 8:55 pm:

You know, MCR, your post hit it right on the head:

“Perhaps those Asians, Chinese, and other immigrants have assimilated into the community and the transition has been seamless because they take pride in their property, follow the rules in their neighborhoods, and speak English. Just a thought….”

If they would just learn to follow our rules this wouldn’t be so much of a problem. Why can’t they all just respect their homes, keep a clean area, learn English, stop urinating on the sides of buildings, stop oogling female citizens and basically stop living like rats and maybe Americans would be much more tolerant of them. We already have enough American citizens that act that way and we certainly don’t need 20 million more. For a group that is breaking one law after another you think their leaders would tell them to chill out and start following the rules. Sheesh.

44. anonymous said on 31 Jul 2007 at 9:09 pm:

“I am not sure why you focus on Mexican Spanish”

’twas an example…feel free to substitute any other dialect of Spanish you want.

45. Dolph said on 31 Jul 2007 at 9:12 pm:

Park’d,

re: We already have enough American citizens that act that way and we certainly don’t need 20 million more.

I am disgusted with Americans acting like pigs and have been for a long time. It isn’t about money. I have known people poorer than church mice who don’t act like pigs. It is all about having some class and not acting like you are on the Jerry Springer Show, which has to be the nadir of American entertainment.

I am more concerned about how immigrants act than I am over their legality. I think Americans ought to be setting a better example for newcomers than they do.

That is not to say I support illegality. I do not. I want the borders secure..on all sides actually. I am just saying I could forgive a little illegality if the person acted decently and became a productive member of our society instead of sinking to our lowest common denominator.

If I were an immigrant, legal or illegal, anywhere, I would try to blend in and follow the customs and laws of that country I had entered. It is pretty much a survival technique if nothing else.

Perhaps I am more forgiving of those who have not been raised with our values in this country than I am with the born and bred in America types who need a good spanking and a crash course in decent behavior.

Dolph

46. TH said on 31 Jul 2007 at 10:35 pm:

“If they would just learn to follow our rules this wouldn’t be so much of a problem”
    I totally agree with you. My pint in a lot of my posts is that you notice them because they are not assimilating so the issue is not only about legal vs. illegal. Let’s just say for the sake of the argument that the immgration reform is passed tomorrow. These people won’t change just because they are here legally. You will continue noticing them because they are destroying your neighborhood or not following the rules.
    I agree that groups such a MWB or the day laborer centers should offer culture classes before these people can take any jobs.

47. Gurduloo said on 31 Jul 2007 at 10:36 pm:

“f they would just learn to follow our rules this wouldn’t be so much of a problem. Why can’t they all just respect their homes, keep a clean area, learn English, stop urinating on the sides of buildings, stop oogling female citizens and basically stop living like rats and maybe Americans would be much more tolerant of them.”

I don’t get this argument. Are you saying that if illegal immigrants acted like natural born citizens, people wouldn’t have a problem with them? And conversely - if a legal immigrant gets full citizenship but still acts in the manner you describe - should they be deported or something? If that’s the case, then it seems that your problem isn’t so much with illegal immigrants as much as immigrants who don’t make every effort to assimilate as quickly as possible.

48. AWCheney said on 31 Jul 2007 at 11:33 pm:

“Let’s just say for the sake of the argument that the immgration reform is passed tomorrow. These people won’t change just because they are here legally.”

Let’s get something straight here TH…IMMIGRATION reform is in no way amnesty! Immigration reform involves simplifying and remedying the flaws in the current LEGAL immigration process…and enforcing the laws. THAT is reform…amnesty is surrendering the system to those who have subverted it. Why should any new law or reform be taken any more seriously than our current laws by the next batch of border jumpers than the previous law if that happens? The people who are hurt most by amnesty are the ones who have been patiently waiting to come to this country legally. I didn’t think that it was the American way to punish people for following the rules.

49. Lafayette said on 1 Aug 2007 at 12:03 am:

Clean it up in ‘07
    I said Hispanics, I think most are illegal aliens, but certainly not all Hispancs are illegal invaders. Remember, as I’ve said before, none us know who’s legal and who’s illegal. I have lived my entire life next door to legal immigrants(now US Citizens). My neighbors were German and Guatamalen. I really doubt that statement hurt the cause. I didn’t see anyone else complain about that term.

50. long time resident said on 1 Aug 2007 at 6:35 am:

almost all of us were at some point immigrants (legal immigrants). We have all assimilated, with a common language (English), common values (democracy, freedom of religion, etc) and shared pride in our country. We can’t legislate pride or values, but it’s high time Cities, Counties, States and the Federal government legislated english as the national language. No english, no business PERIOD!

51. Onan the Barbarian said on 1 Aug 2007 at 7:20 am:

Huh. So nobody here was able to confirm she’s an illegal. You just assumed. Yup. No racism here!

52. Anon said on 1 Aug 2007 at 8:33 am:

Onan, come on. You are holding everyone here to such a high standard of fairness, tolerance, and integrity. What are you smoking? Don’t you know that illegal aliens have a monopoly on criminal and other bad behavior? Or, even when they don’t, when they do something, it is far worse than if it were done by a native-born American or legal resident. If they do it while speaking Spanish, that’s even more damning. Tsk, tsk. Get with the program.

53. Just a thought said on 1 Aug 2007 at 10:19 am:

Question for Onan
    If there were 20 million illegals in mexico, bolivia, el salvador, or any other latin american country and most were caucasian, do you think that most of the native population would look at each one of them as suspicious? That is human nature.

54. ateacher said on 1 Aug 2007 at 3:17 pm:

What surprised me about the article was there was no mention as to whether or not the morgage company was complicit in allowing the morgage fraud to occur. I know that when I applied for a mortgage I needed to supply bank statements, paycheck stubs and all sorts of paper work. At no time did I simply need just a SSN card and drivers license. A friend of mine is a real estate agent and she said there are many mortgage brokers out there that are hinky to say the least. If the agencies that oversee the mortgage industry start cracking down and scrutinizing disreputable brokers/lenders maybe this might allieviate much of the identity fraud. Maybe it’s time to get rid of no-doc loans altogether.

55. Manexico Resident said on 2 Aug 2007 at 8:52 am:

Onan the Barbarian said on 1 Aug 2007 at 7:20 am:

Anon said on 1 Aug 2007 at 8:33 am:

I’m sorry, but looking over the post again I couldn’t find where the allegation was made that she was illegal. There was the opinion that had the Washington Post reporter dug a little deeper he’d have found these thefts widely practiced among the illegal immigrant population…there were the links to actual articles related to identity theft and the illegals practicing it. There were at no points in the original post any verbage that directly or indirectly accused this Cabrera-Rivera of being an illegal immigrant.

56. Mary said on 5 Aug 2007 at 1:30 pm:

Masturbator the Barbarian’s comments are pretty much in line with what I would expect that someone with his chosen screen nic would write.

Probably thinks his little masturbation joke of a screen name is just so clever, so hip, so “edgy.” Probably thought the “dumb rednecks” posting on this blog would just be bowled by his overwhelming cleverness, his hipness, his unchallengeable street cred. “Yes, I have seen the light, Onan the Barbarian, your ultra-clever screen nic has shown me up for the hopelessly racist hick loser cracker I really am,” (he imagines us responding to his brilliant riposts.) “I bask in the greatness of your cyber-presence and am now willing to welcome the entire Mexican state of Jalisco into my back yard and will also gladly pay for endless numbers of their industrial size boxes of Huggies diapers out of my own pocket.”

We’ve got five-year-olds running our country and our society. Where did all the grown-ups go?

57. Mary said on 5 Aug 2007 at 1:32 pm:

Well actually it is worse if an illegal alien does it, than if an American does it, because it’s a crime that didn’t have to happen, and wouldn’t have happened, if our government enforced the law.