Kopko Denies 51st District Appeal

By Greg L | 8 August 2007 | 51st HOD District | 77 Comments

In a ruling published yesterday, PWCRC Chairman Tom Kopko in his role as the sole member of the 51st District Legislative Committee, denied the appeal by Julie Lucas of the 51st District Convention which happened on June 2nd. About the only surprise here is that he didn’t wait until November 5th to publish his ruling, but by delaying more than two months the outcome is pretty much the same. There really isn’t any time left for Julie Lucas to continue the appeals process and have time to mount a campaign against Democratic nominee Paul Nichols even if the results of the convention were overturned.

Kopko’s decision here essentially argues that it is inconsistent with Robert’s Rules and the Republican Party Plan for anyone to challenge a convention result after the convention ends. In effect, if you can rig the result of a convention and manage to hide the details of the subterfuge long enough to have a convention gavel a convention to a close, there’s no recourse. That’s quite a concept. Now that this policy has been sufficiently explained to us, I’m sure we’ll all have a lot more confidence in the legitimacy of Republicans nominated in conventions in Virginia.

His second point is that when overvotes occur, as long as there’s any basis to claim that the overvotes would not have changed the result, you can’t throw out overvoted precincts. What’s fascinating about this is that two RPV officials were contacted about the proper means of handling overvotes advised the exact opposite approach — that any overvoted precincts should be thrown out since there’s really no way to determine what the actual vote was, and if the overvoting was the result of more extensive irregularities. It’s possible that Tom Kopko’s grasp of Robert’s Rules and the RPV plan are superior to that of the RPV, but I’d consider that pretty unlikely.

Best of all is Kopko’s decision to allow a mathematical error to stand. There weren’t actual overvotes in three precincts, but in two. The total number of credentialed delegates in the Civic Center Precinct was incorrectly recorded, leading to that precinct being identified as an overvoted precinct when it was not. Knowingly allowing an obvious error to stand demonstrates pretty clearly that the purpose here wasn’t to ensure that the results of this convention were accurately recorded, but that the result was consistent with the pre-determined outcome Kopko clearly wanted to obtain.

At least Kopko remembered to have Faisal Gill leave the signature block on this decision blank so he could sign it.

UPDATE: NLS sums it up pretty well:

This is disgusting, and we obviously need new election laws to make sure this never happens again.

1. Mitch Cumstein said on 8 Aug 2007 at 11:22 am:

Pathetic. Kopko should have rendered a decision much sooner, and his reasoning is absolutely sophomoric. I just hope that when Nichols destroys Gill (which is a foregone conclusion), folks lay the blame were it clearly belongs.

I can’t help wondering what the motivation ways to through Faisal under the bus in this election. I mean, let’s be honest. No one in their right mind could have believed that Faisal would stand a chance against a credible Democratic candidate. So, what’s the master plan? Is this an example of utter stupidity or is there something more here?

2. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 11:29 am:

Your analysis is, of course, utterly false. The ruling says no such thing. What it does say is that Lucas’ appeal fails ab initio because her camp failed to challenge the results AT THE CONVENTION.

3. Jonathan Mark said on 8 Aug 2007 at 12:11 pm:

>>>Lucas’ appeal fails ab initio”"”

For those who don’t know, “ab initio” is Latin for “failing to pay Tom Kopko $4000 like Faisal Gill did.”

If Julie wants her future appeals to pass “ab kopkio” she is going to have to poney up some of that long green to Tom as Faisal already did.

Some people claim that being PWCRC is an unpaid position. Looks like Kopko figured out a way to get paid!

4. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 12:33 pm:

No, Jim, what it says is that she filed in a timely manner (”Lucas submitted her appeal on Monday, Jule 11, 2007, via e-mail and postal mail…The appeal was submitted timely and sustained by a sufficient number of Delegates to the Convention, in accordance with Article X of the Party Plan [page 1 of 10]) and then goes on to say that she failed to file in a timely manner (”The Committee further notes that the time to challenge the credentials report is during the convention, not afterwards [page 3 of 10]). Basically, according to Kopko, they were suppoed to discover 1 person voting over in a crowd of 600 people PRIOR to the gavel being dropped. And, to make it official, e-mail AND U.S. Post was used to file that appeal and last time I checked, the Post Office is closed Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

Let us also remember that Tom Kopko is a Committee of ONE!!! I almost lost my lunch when I read his ruling because he kept referring to “the committee.” Why didn’t he just say “I” or “me” and let the truth be known. I tell you, if I was new to Prince William County and went to the PWCGOP website, I would think that Marty Nohe was a Democrat and Julie’s appeal was without merit. Then, after finding out that Marty IS a Republican, and see the way that Tom slams him, I would DEFINITELY be thinking twice of sending MY hard earned money to the PWCGOP!!! I guess Tom did not sign the pledge to “support all Republican candidates” because THESE ACTIONS definitely are throwing the candidates under the train!!!

I realize that you like to go to Black’s to get your Latin Terms so it sounds like you have authority, sort of like when someone with a French accent has credibility as a soccer coach, even if he or she never played the sport before.

You are either a useful idiot of the Faisal campaign, Mr. Young, for defending the undefensible, or you are a co-hort to destroy the Republican Party for your defense of someone who posts his ruling over two months after the gavel has dropped and for running a candidate, who I do not believe you gave any monetary support to, who is currently under several investigations and openly supports illegal immigration via his law practice.

I have gone thru a number of previous posts by you, Mr. Young, and not once have I seen you present any reason WHY to vote for Faisal but I did see a comment where you said shortly after the Convention that the 51st is a “historically Democratic District” as if you are already accepting defeat.

There are two types of pilots in the military, those who “haul ass” in the fighter jets, and those who “haul shit” in the cargo planes. The same can be said of lawyers. Judging by the posts you have done on this, and many other topics, I would say that you fall more into the latter than the former. And oh, by the way, the research I have done on Mr. Nichols shows that he would DEFINITELY be the fighter pilot!!!

At this point I have to say, Nichols Makes Sense!!!

5. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 12:34 pm:

And the lies just keep on coming, don’t they, JM?

You remind me of Clinton: lying even when the truth would suffice.

When I see an attack on the ruling which honestly assesses it, then I might be impressed.

That you have to spread falsehoods speaks volumes about the merits of your conclusions.

6. Batson D. Belfrey said on 8 Aug 2007 at 12:36 pm:

James Young, through his steadfast support and defense of Kopko, Gill, the 51st convention result demonstrates that he is an Equus Gluteus Maximus, while Kopko is a machina alveus.

7. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 1:06 pm:

Hilarious! The facts are agin ‘em, so he (”Batson” and his other pseudonym, “Not JY”) resorts — as usual — to ad hominem attacks.

8. anon said on 8 Aug 2007 at 2:11 pm:

The ruling document comes from the “Repulican” Committee.

Gee whiz, so does that mean that the real “Republican (with a b)Committee” still hasn’t made up their mind yet or does it mean that someone needs to use spell check when sending out a very important official document concerning a very important ruling on a divisive issue? You’d think two months was long enough to edit it.

Perhaps Julie could file an appeal saying that “Repulicans” have no basis to judge her appeal.

9. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 2:13 pm:

Real American Genius!!! Here’s to you, James Young, purveyor of filth and other wrongheadedness. You have a blog that no one visits, so you come to one where people actually do (sort of like the character Plankton on “Sponge Bob Square Pants” when he visits The Krusty Krab) read and post. You throw legal terms around like they are ballots at a fixed convention. If I knew better, I would think that you were a lawyer for the Mafia the way you defend those who have no defense.

Seriously, my hats off to you. You cause us all to laugh knowing that it only takes two words “Darth Vader” to set you off. Heck, the vast majority of us don’t even know the story, but by the way you run around in circles calling us names we KNOW it has to be good. I raise my glass to you and say, “Keep up the good work - the more you defend Faisal and Kopko, the more I like my liberal next door neighbor.” Well, as long as you are blogging on here, the Star Wars conventions are safe and so are our opponents.

10. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 2:23 pm:

anon - he can’t spell OR do math…can someone PLEASE tell me why this guy is the face of the PWCGOP???

11. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 2:31 pm:

Three more posts … and the best you can come up with is a typographical error (there are a few more, incidentally)? Laughab… er, impressive.

12. Fed Up#1 said on 8 Aug 2007 at 2:43 pm:

I like the comments that Not JY has put forth on Jim Young. This guy has claimed he is right for quite a few years now. But he is an insult to manhood and being a citizen.
    There is a group of these types including Kopko Daugherty,Fitzsimmonds,Gill and a few others, that talk out of two sides of their mouth and if you don’t agree with them,then you are on their hit list to defame.
    It is interesting to check the State Site for Donations and the VPAP site and over the last few years you will find these are the people who do not give one dollar to a candidate.
    They just like to run their mouths and protest out on the streets.
    Kopko could have made his decision several weeks ago and then Julie could take it to the 51st. Chair in Fairfax.But he was paid well to make sure Gill won.But you can bet Gill will not win the election in Nov.!!!
    Then we can have Julie back on the School Board. as we sure need here there.!!!!!!!

13. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 3:32 pm:

Fed Up#1 - thank you. I always research my facts to make sure that what I say is true and accurate. Here’s James Young, a well-to-do lawyer who from what I am told definitely has the money, not investing one dime for the candidate he espouses. Jim, there is a saying, “It’s time to put up, or shut up.” Last time we checked, you have NOT “put up”.

Jimmy’s biggest problem is that he is not mature enough to admit fault, it is ALWAYS someone else’s fault. When Faisal looses in November, we will read him whining about how it is people like Greg and “his ilk” who caused Faisal to lose. NOTHING will be mentioned about ties to terrorists, parking tickets, Navy regulation violations, etc. etc.

Jim, WHATEVER you did for the party that is a positive was OBVIOUSLY done in the past. You are a devisive person who refuses to listen to facts but instead pontificates on how right you are at all times. It’s time that you realize that you ARE NO LONGER of any importance to Prince William County. You offend people, use derogatory names for women, and are filled with hate. Whose side are you REALLY on, Jim, the terrorists who are out to destroy this country and the Democrats who are supporting them???

It is past time for you to step down from your high-horse and let the adults run the show. You are NOT a has been, Jimmy, you are a NEVER WAS. You are in need of a “time out” and soon. I enjoy Greg’s posts and the majority of the comments that are posted on here. Heck, sometimes I even learn from those who I disagree with. But you are so filled with hate and bile that you come on to a website and make attacks against the webmaster himself.

I think you have Blog envy, Jimmy, and realize that while CNBC is courting Greg, YOU cannot even get the Cartoon Network to comment on yours.

14. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 3:36 pm:

Aside from your factually-incorrect smears, Fed Up#1 — VPAP is an imperfect measure, since it does not show donations under $100, or donations to local candidates, or those to Federal candidates — why don’t you tell us how much you’ve given over the years? How much of your time has been volunteered for the election of GOP candidates? Or governance of the GOP? Did YOU spend time in a vital state in 2004, offering legal advice to the Bush-Cheney campaign and/or preparing to respond to legal challenges to their victory? What sage advice have you offered to GOP candidates? Have any taken your advice? Oh, and BTW, prove it.

I realize that you invent that self-fulfilling prophecy that “if you don’t agree with them, then you are on their hit list to defame,” but you are clearly aware that it is not possible to “defame” someone with the pathetic truth of their own insignificant record, which is probably why you hide your identity behind a pseudonym, and defame those who have helped lead the local GOP to electoral preeminence.

15. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 3:36 pm:

And Jimmy, you wrote “That you would convert $2000 to “$4000″ simply demonstrates the extent of your illness.”

Would that be anything like Kopko asking Ms. Lucas if she wants a convention or a primary (she chose the later, Faisal had chosen the former) and then the next day announcing it would be a convention and reporting that he received $1000 from Faisal, only later admitting that it was $2000???

JM may be going off of memory, simple mistake, it has been a few months (7 to be exact). Tom’s reporting HALF the amount given to him and then CHOOSING the convention (over the wishes of an elected official) seems more the illness to ME!!!

16. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 3:39 pm:

Jimmy, MAYBE Fed Up#1 has watched you throw friend and foe under the bus soooo many times on BVBL and other blogs that he does not want the personal attacks that you are famous for giving. I remember another blogger on BVBL who you smeared like this and it turned out he was VERY active STATE-WIDE!!!

And now knowing that YOU provided legal advice (which you inferred in your post) proves to me why Bush’s popularity numbers are getting lower and lower every day. With people like YOU in his camp, the poor guy JUST CANNOT WIN.

17. Jonathan Mark said on 8 Aug 2007 at 3:59 pm:

I am now reminded Gill’s initial campaign finance report understated at $1000 the amount Gill provided to Kopko by half, so Gill later amended his report and doubled the reported amount.

By the way, my postings to BVBL are not legal documents. But Gill’s campaign finance reports are legal documents.

JY is aghast that I conflated Gill’s initial and final payments to Kopko and was off by a factor of two

In that case JY must be really aghast that Gill initially underreported ALSO BY A FACTOR OF TWO, Gill’s payment(s) to Kopko on Gill’s own campaign finance report

But JY is not aghast at Faisal Gill for being off by a factor of two on Gill’s payments to Kopko at all. He is mad at Jon Mark, who is not running for office, and absolves Faisal Gill, who is running for office.

What gives? Blogger JM makes mistake outside of legal document. JY OUTRAGED! Candidate Gill makes similar mistake in legal document while campaigning to serve in state legilsature. No reaction from JY concerning mistake at all!

Maybe this is what people mean by the term “selective outrage.” JY can be as mad at me as he wishes. I am not running for office. Faisal Gill is running for office.

My faults cannot substitute for Faisal Gill’s lack of virtue.

18. anon said on 8 Aug 2007 at 4:27 pm:

It’s kind of ironic that Julie Lucas was supposed to have been a psychic and have had proof of all irregularities before and on the very day they occurred, but Tom Kopko gets to take 2 months to sort through the same.

19. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 4:35 pm:

Anon raises the canard that the “irregularities” were unknown. Even Lucas only claims that the Civic Center overvote was unknown, and everyone concedes that changing that wouldn’t affect the outcome of the Convention. The other two overvote situations were known to all at the Convention (I was there at the end, and saw the Lucas camp appeal and then withdraw its appeal from the ruling of the Chairman). Why Lucas withdrew that appeal is no doubt a mystery to the Kool-Aid drinkers, as those who assume against all the evidence that she actually won the Convention.

20. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 4:44 pm:

Oh, my mistake. Apologies to “Batson.” I guess “Not JY” is probably John Light, who is also fond of the phrase “thrown under the bus,” and apparently believes that defending one’s self against personal attacks constitutes such. He’s just found another way to do so. Perhaps I should enlighten readers about his real indiscretions, as opposed to those of mine which are nothing but imagined.

21. NOT JY said on 8 Aug 2007 at 5:02 pm:

Jimmy, THAT is why we post under other names. Your little fishing expedition will not work here. I did not realize that any one person is owner to the phrase “thrown under the bus”. I don’t know why you are trying to bring other people into this, but I guess I struck a nerve.

22. Batson D. Belfrey said on 8 Aug 2007 at 5:20 pm:

Jimmy,

Actually, I wasn’t insulted by the accusation that Not JY and I are one in the same. I consider it a compliment to be mistaken for this individual.

As to your assertion regarding VPAP and all the great and wonderful things you’ve done for the party, I have to laugh. If you are doling out $99.00 contributions you are either cheap, or embarrased by your candidate.

Kinda like lighting up a $5.00 cigar, and telling everyone it’s a $20.00 cigar? Ring any bells Jimmy?

23. Jonathan Mark said on 8 Aug 2007 at 5:57 pm:

“”"Why Lucas withdrew that appeal is no doubt a mystery to the Kool-Aid drinkers, “”"

I apologize for stating that Jim Young holds me to a higher standard than he holds Faisal Gill. It is obvious that in fact Jim Young holds Faisal Gill to NO STANDARD AT ALL.

Unlike candidates in the rest of the RPV and the known world:

(1) Gill is not required to win without counting overvoted precincts;

(2) Gill’s alleged victory is not subject to appeals based upon information that became available after the convention; and

(3) Gill’s “win” is subject to review by a committe of one…Gill employee.

Young was aghast that I said Gill paid Kopko $4000 when it was really $2000. Does it matter logically? One should always strive to be as accurate as possible.

But is Jim Young saying that Kopko would be swayed for $4000 but not for $2000, so we are “Kool-Aid drinkers” to worry about something like that?

As I said, even the hypothetical discovery of that suitcase full of Abdurahman Alamoudi’s $340,000 in sequentially-marked $100 bills in the trunk of Kopko’s car would not shake Jim Young’s faith that he is true and the rest of the posters, the vast majority Republican, on BVBL are false. This is weird.

24. Loudoun Insider said on 8 Aug 2007 at 7:31 pm:

This mess stinks! We absolutely cannot let this get swept under the rug. Kopko must be held accountable, and RPV needs to amend its bylaws to prohibit party officials from taking money from candidates.

25. AWCheney said on 8 Aug 2007 at 8:06 pm:

Kopko must have a very low opinion of the collective intelligence of those who have an interest in, or have been following, the 51st District Convention and its aftermath. His so-called “decision” was assumed would be the result of his “investigation” the whole time…and it took him two months to release it. Was the delay because he was hoping people would lose interest and go away? Was the delay because he was editing the evidence and hoping that memories would dim so it could not be reconstructed or even reviewed to ascertain if any editing had occurred? Was the delay because he was hoping that his release of his decision at this time was close enough to the election to encourage the people in the next step of the appeal to just want it to go away (like him) and move on, yet far enough from the election to perhaps deflect some of the criticism that he was manipulating the process? Inquiring minds want to know.

26. James Young said on 8 Aug 2007 at 9:10 pm:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Kopko cares little about, and is entirely unimpressed by, “the collective intelligence of those who have an interest in, or have been following, the 51st District Convention and its aftermath.”

The fact remains that those attacking him here and elsewhere are only attacking him. His decision is utterly correct under the rules, which demonstrates that Gill won the convention and/or Team Lucas was incompetent. Wherein lies the problem for the Gill-haters.

27. Jonathan Mark said on 8 Aug 2007 at 10:17 pm:

“”"Gill won the convention and/or Team Lucas was incompetent. “”"

Someone is incompetent. We will know who in November, won’t we? Unless Kopko/Gill/Stewart engineered this whole fiasco knowing Gill would lose, which I regard as entirely possible.

28. AWCheney said on 8 Aug 2007 at 10:47 pm:

MONEY Jonathan…money, now and in the future. I’m still curious, as you are (from your statements), how he could afford all those rather large personal contributions to those who lined up to endorce him.

29. AWCheney said on 8 Aug 2007 at 10:47 pm:

Correction: endorSe

30. freedom said on 9 Aug 2007 at 8:15 am:

If Julie had “topped” Faisal’s $2,000 with her own $4,000, the result would have been different. Fact is, Julie earns her money and doesn’t have $4,000 to spare.

As far as we know, Faisal Gill is not a terrorist, but he has certainly kept unsavory company. Of course, he denies complicity, what else would one expect? Then, there is his woeful disregard for the DoD and Navy directives that as a reserve JAG, he is commissioned to support, not violate.

The entire process to select a Republican nominee for the 51st District has been tainted. Specifically, Gill’s payment to the PWCRC Chairman; the Chairman’s insistence upon a “controllable” convention; Gill’s support by other Republicans vying for election/reelection (based upon a combination of financial contributions and an assured voter block); and finally, Kopko’s refusal to demonstrate integrity by correcting the record in favor of a hocus pocus justification to support his employer illustrate the true under-belly of the PWCRC.

How in the world could these Republican “leaders” have done more to solidify Republican support for Paul Nichols? I don’t know the answer to that question, but they’ve certainly done enough.

31. freedom said on 9 Aug 2007 at 9:12 am:

Jonathan said…

“But what was Gill/Kopko/Stewart’s game? Why would they want to run the unelectable Gill?”

Oh Jonathan, don’t you see??? It’s the money, sure, but more than that, it’s that same “block of voters” that Gill commands — we saw ‘em up close at the convention. Support Gill and you get all 400+ votes.

What I don’t understand though is non-candidate jimmy’s penchant for the unelectable.

32. Clean it up in '07 said on 9 Aug 2007 at 9:54 am:

OK. So Kopko and James Young hand a 1 seat gain to the Dems. Hmmmm….I wonder what’s next on their agenda…destroying the entire PWCGOP?…ooops…nevermind, they’ve done that already too.

Time to go to Disney World guys…your work here is done!

PS. When you get back, can you 2 go destroy another county’s GOP committee. We’ll all be busy rebuilding the one here.

33. Loudoun Insider said on 9 Aug 2007 at 10:41 am:

Please don’t banish them to Loudoun County, we have our own set of problems!

34. freedom said on 9 Aug 2007 at 10:45 am:

No promises, Loudon, we’ll send ‘em ANYWHERE….unless, of course, you’re the higest bidder for a consultant….:(

35. Just asking said on 9 Aug 2007 at 10:46 am:

The legal ease of denial is pretty thick. More than I would expect Kopko could come up with. Wonder where the legal advice he got came from. With the typo errors, etc. would it be a surprise that the denial draft may have come from the offices of Gill & Gallinger?

36. Fed Up#1 said on 9 Aug 2007 at 12:00 pm:

Jim Young has been a problem for quite a few years. He likes to tear things down.Especially if you don’t accept his words or theories. He has raised havoc in the GOP, the Young Republicans and every other group that he has been involved with over the past 10 years.
    He’s a very sarcastic person and believes he has all the answers.He has himself so high upon a pedistal and he needs to be knocked down.He was once when they let him go at the Potomac News,with all his rattings. Now it ’s time to put him in his place. That is by IGNORING and don’t acknowledge what he writes,as he only wants to argue.

37. freedom said on 9 Aug 2007 at 1:14 pm:

Absolutely agree, Fed UP#1.

38. Jonathan Mark said on 9 Aug 2007 at 1:49 pm:

“”"Please don’t banish them to Loudoun County, we have our own set of problems!”"”

It’s time to bring back the New South Wales penal colony. There is nothing wrong with Jim Young and Tom Kopko that seven years of indentured servitude wouldn’t fix.

Plus their exposure to the serious problems with rampant jihadism in Australia and New South Wales might correct their myopic thinking on this important problem.

Is their anyone in the PWCRC who would be willing to introduce a resolution in support of my idea to send Tom Kopko to New South Wales on a sailing ship?

39. Jonathan Mark said on 9 Aug 2007 at 1:51 pm:

I get the impression that if I ever met Jim Young he would come across as one of those folks who thought he was the most intelligent person in whatever room he was in. But it would be impossible for that to be true.

40. James Young said on 9 Aug 2007 at 2:14 pm:

“Clean it up in ‘07″ says that “We’ll all be busy rebuilding the one here.” Somehow, I doubt it. Because to do so, of course, presumes a fact not in evidence (i.e., that it needs to be “rebuilt”) and would require that he/she crawl out from under the rock of anonymity. Unless, of course, you’re speaking of a GOP “rebuilt” to be nothing more than a shadow of the Democrat Party. In which case, you’re right. ‘Course, the voters will probably then be smart enough to figure out that, if their simply going to get Republicans who act like Democrats, they might as well vote for the real thing.

Please spare us your pretensions to political courage/leadership. You can’t even sign your name to your attacks on others.

Or recognize that the one’s who are “tear[ing] things down” are largely people like you.

As for “Fed Up#1,” if you consider leading the Young Republican club recognized as the nation’s best and being part of the County GOP’s leadership team as Republicans took the majority of County offices away from the Democrats as “rais[ing] havoc,” then I plead guilty. I’m pretty sure that it was the kind of “havoc” that fit in the job descriptions. I wonder what you’ve [n]ever accomplished? It’s pretty arrogant to attack someone else’s record while hiding your own or, more probably, obscuring your lack thereof.

Being “let go” at the Potomac News, of course, was precisely about my effectiveness (you don’t fire your most influential local columnist unless you don’t like the influence he wields, which is certainly an advantage that Greg has), and the lurch of that journal to the far Left. I’m hardly surprised that you agree with it.

41. James Young said on 9 Aug 2007 at 2:16 pm:

More personal attacks from JM! Color me surprised … and bored.

42. Clean it up in '07 said on 9 Aug 2007 at 3:00 pm:

“if you consider leading the Young Republican club recognized as the nation’s best and being part of the County GOP’s leadership team as Republicans took the majority of County offices away from the Democrats as “rais[ing] havoc,” then I plead guilty.”

Just an coincidence of timing.

YRs back then were do-nothing trouble makers living in their own world (sound familiar?) and anything that successfully took place in the GOP at that time happened in spite of their existence not because of it.

43. Jonathan Mark said on 9 Aug 2007 at 3:05 pm:

“”"Being “let go” at the Potomac News, of course, was precisely about my effectiveness (you don’t fire your most influential local columnist unless you don’t like the influence he wields,”"”

A journalistic legend in his own mind, Jim Young is even able to turn getting fired into a notable achievement. When Faisal loses big in November that will be a great achievement too.

“”"You don’t elect your most impressive candidate Non-Delegate by a landslide unless you don’t like him.”"”

Not being liked is obviously something of which Jim Young has much personal experience to go on. No wonder he views his career as a series of great successes!

44. Dolph said on 9 Aug 2007 at 3:47 pm:

“Jim Young has been a problem for quite a few years. He likes to tear things down”

Yes, I remember those days and the pictures some of my friends took of him taking down the signs they had just planted.

It is sort of nice to hear that the contempt is so universal.

45. James Young said on 9 Aug 2007 at 8:22 pm:

“Dolph,” you are a cowardly liar, and that is a despicable lie. The only signs I EVER removed were removed after Election Day… as required by law.

No wonder you hide behind a pseudonym.

46. James Young said on 9 Aug 2007 at 8:23 pm:

And I would suggest that you produce non-photo-shopped evidence. I’m sure that Greg would publish it, if it existed.

47. freedom said on 9 Aug 2007 at 9:59 pm:

Woooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooo!!! :) :)

48. Clean it up in '07 said on 10 Aug 2007 at 1:40 am:

Why would anyone post by their real names on posts where James Young brings what is normally an informative and enlightening exchange down to the gutter? It would only pull these posts higher up on a Google search (with our real names attached…yikes).

James Young, on the other hand, OBSESSES over the use of real names because he WANTS it to be listed on the search engines because it gives him some weird sense of “Stuart Smally” affirmation to make up for the damage inflicted for the times he was picked last in gym class and relegated to handing out water bottles to the JV football team in Jr. high school. Darn good thing he rebounded with his success in Young Republicans…so he could wear his “I used to be President of the Chess Club…but now I’m dorkier” button, at meetings where they plotted to have purges against people without said buttons.

Who would want to be listed on Google arguing with you? That’s why we don’t use our real names…but…we all know who we are.

That’s why nobody uses a real name on here when you’re around. Maybe we can find a way so you can get the list of people that despise you …say …on a weekly basis.

49. Batson D. Belfrey said on 10 Aug 2007 at 8:13 am:

“As for “Fed Up#1,” if you consider leading the Young Republican club recognized as the nation’s best and being part of the County GOP’s leadership team as Republicans took the majority of County offices away from the Democrats as “rais[ing] havoc,” then I plead guilty.”

And I was once a star High School Quarterback…but that was in High School. Kinda like you James? You may have done something a long time ago, but now, you are just a has-been. At least you had sense enough to retire the Darth Vader costume, or did you?

50. Jonathan Mark said on 10 Aug 2007 at 10:12 am:

Burt Bacharach and Hal David wrote a song around the time that Jim Young was a star. It was called “They Don’t Give Medals To Yesterday’s Heroes.”

Jim should consider taking the lyric to heart.

51. James Young said on 10 Aug 2007 at 10:36 am:

Oh, I get it, “Batson”: someone gets to throw out a specious charge, and when one defends one’s self by demonstrating that it’s specious, you attack him for that, too.

Must be nice to have your cake and eat it, too.

And “we all know who we are”?!?!? Yeah, I’m sure you do. How are those meetings in the basement of the science building going?

52. Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2007 at 11:32 am:

Not the basement in the Science Building…we do All-Tell commercials now…hahahhaah.

53. AWCheney said on 10 Aug 2007 at 3:01 pm:

Wow, when Jimmy chimes in on a thread, it doesn’t take long for it to become all about him. What an ego!

54. AWCheney said on 10 Aug 2007 at 3:11 pm:

Dolph, I say that you should ABSOLUTELY get those pictures of Jimmy boy digitized and to Greg for posting. Make sure that they have their time stamp. Of course, Jimmy will no doubt claim that they are “photo-shopped” no matter what the evidence…but that’s what makes James Jimmy.

55. freedom said on 10 Aug 2007 at 5:33 pm:

Oh no, AWC, it’s not a matter of ego. In reality, it’s attention-seeking insecurity. I remember when my son was five, he was that way…but by seven, he grew out of it.

56. Dolph said on 10 Aug 2007 at 7:02 pm:

AWC,

It has been many years (early 90’s if I am not mistaken) and the person I know who had them has moved out of the area. They were never in my personal possession.

Dolph

57. AWCheney said on 10 Aug 2007 at 7:07 pm:

That, freedom, is why I said, “but that’s what makes James Jimmy.” :-)

58. AWCheney said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:04 pm:

That’s too bad Dolph…I know that there are a great many people who would LOVE to comment on them.

59. freedom said on 11 Aug 2007 at 11:23 am:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, quiet, but wondering what happened to jimmy all of a sudden….:)

60. AWCheney said on 11 Aug 2007 at 4:51 pm:

If he’s responding freedom, they’re probably all caught in moderation. I still can’t believe he kisses his mother with that mouth!

61. James Young said on 11 Aug 2007 at 7:13 pm:

It’s always entertaining to read the Old Whithered Wench’s accusations of juvenile behavior — particularly when she engaged in juvenile name-calling.

Tick, tick.

Instead, y’all enlighten us as to how Gill won’t win. He managed to win the convention fair and square. Get over it, and get behind the nominee, and maybe he WILL win. Maybe he’ll win notwithstanding your perfidy. Plenty of us who supported Gill for the nomination have had to accept a candidate for the nomination that we opposed. Mark Early comes immediately to mind, as does John Warner and Harry Parrish.

Or stop claiming to be Republicans.

Good riddance.

62. Stop Gill Now said on 11 Aug 2007 at 10:21 pm:

There is a new web site / blog http://goodbyefaisal.com/ that really sums up why Gill is bad news for the Republican Party, bad news for Virginia and bad news for our country. Even a brainiac like Jimmy Young cannot deny the overwhelming facts about what a corrupt, reckless and dangerous man that has been nominated for the 51st.

Gill has been a sloppy, unreliable PWRC member. He literally, “recklessly” disregards traffic laws. He has bought the support of Kopko, Stewart, Cuccinelli, Limgamfelter and Bolling–pulled the wool over their eyes or are they just willing to look the other way?

Gill double speaks on cracking down on illegal immigration, while working as an immigration attorney to help his Muslim buddies gain entry into the USA.

He lied on his security clearance application.

And did I mention he was the chief lobbyist for a convicted terrorist?

So golly gee-I am just supposed so be a good little Republican and roll over for this dirtbag?

This man is not just another bad candidate–he is BAD NEWS.

63. AWCheney said on 11 Aug 2007 at 10:27 pm:

Juvenile name calling Jimmy? Shall I copy over what I call the “Jimmy Young B***h Thread” in my computer files (editing is mine) from over at Too Conservative as an example of juvenile name calling? There are, of course, many such threads…you are truly the master.

64. Bryanna said on 12 Aug 2007 at 12:13 am:

Stop Gill Now,
    Majority of members in the PW Committee said Gill was unelectable, but Kopko wouldn’t listen. Now he must be held accountable. It’s time to place the committee in the hands of competitent leadership, unfortunately it can’t be soon enough. Gill is a bad candidate, and time will tell if his disregard for traffic laws is just the tip of the iceburg for his overall disregard of U.S. law!

65. Batson D. Belfrey said on 12 Aug 2007 at 8:52 pm:

Jimmy has been mad ever since he went to cub-scout camp, and was given the indian name “squats-when-he-pees”.

66. Dolph said on 12 Aug 2007 at 10:49 pm:

Not too many years ago, young Jimmy boy would have been called out and horse-whipped in the town square for his disrespect, in particular, to women. Things have sure changed in Virginia.

67. freedom said on 13 Aug 2007 at 7:43 am:

jimmy says….

“I’m still waiting for the substantive arguments as to why Kopko’s ruling was wrong.”

There was never doubt but that Tom Kopko’s (aka “the committee’s) ruling would be in favor of Gill — afterall, he was an employee of Gill; the only surprise was that it took him two months to create what failed as plausible defense of his position. We all know…even you, jimmy…that because of his position, Tom Kopko should never have accepted Gill’s money, it’s an issue of leadership integrity which in the end, seriously jeopardized his ability to make an objective, unbiased decision. He knows that, you know that, we all know it. Yet, a few refuse to admit it…of course, they CAN’T admit error.

Facts are:

1. Tom Kopko refused to correct a simple, but difficult to find mathematical error in tabulating qualified Civic Center delegates. While he claimed that this should have been detected and corrected DURING the convention, and that would have been nice, it simply wasn’t. If not to find and correct errors, why is there is such a thing as an appeal process? That IS the reason for an appeal process. Yet, Tom Kopko favors allowing the error to stand because it was not detected DURING the convention.

2. With two overvoted precincts (Penn and Lake Ridge) Tom Kopko presumes to know the number of illegitimate votes cast. Truth is, NO ONE knows the number of illegitimate votes cast…only the number of votes that exceeded the number of properly credentialed delegates. Because of that question, the result of those two precincts is tainted…and therefore, the result of the tainted precincts should have been discarded — to preserve integrity of the vote by the remaining precincts and the integrity of the convention itself. Tom Kopko refused to do this.

But afterall, what can a person expect? If he had done the right thing, his boss would have become an “also ran.”

Accept this jimmy? …of course not, you won’t accept anything outside the Kopko/Gill party line…at least, not until November. Why did I even bother? :) :)

68. freedom said on 13 Aug 2007 at 8:20 am:

Sorry folks, in retrospect, I shouldn’t have submitted the above post, it’ll just get him goin’ again…:( I’ll do better next time!

69. Jonathan Mark said on 13 Aug 2007 at 4:36 pm:

Let Tom Kopko “get going again” if he wants to. Kopko’s claims are like the chirping of insects as he foolishly tries to contend that Faisal Gill was the legitimate winner.

Faisal Gill won like Bashir Assad was reelected with 99.7 percent of the vote in the last Syrian elections. The idea is supposed to be to export democracy to the Middle East, not to import the Middle East’s corrupt electoral practices.

70. James Young said on 14 Aug 2007 at 3:45 pm:

Not too many years ago, people like “Batson,” “Dolph,” and “freedom” were defacing bathroom walls with their smears, leaving behind on the walls the functional equivalent of what they left in the bowls. What they do here is no more respectable, or meaningful, but it bears the same stench. “Disrespect,” “freedom”?!?!? So far as I can tell, you’ve done anything to earn anyone’s “respect” — which is an earned commodity, which is one reason why a woman, awcheney, gets none from me, having surrendered any respect she was owed when she tried to use the criminal justice system for political gain, and lied about it — and much to be entitled to nothing but contempt.

I’ll give awcheney credit for a single thing: at least she signs her name to her smears, so that she can face the consequences — being persona non grata among respectable Republican circles — for her juvenile and despicable behavior. People like “Batson,” “Dolph,” and “freedom” aren’t worthy even of that minimal level of respect.

‘Course, it speaks volumes that awcheney finds so much in common with the likes of them.

71. freedom said on 14 Aug 2007 at 5:03 pm:

Awwwwwww jimmy, I am so terribly disappointed that you don’t respect me….you gonna make me cry now. Please, oh please!!!????

Wanna know a little secret, jimmy boy? You should not use YOUR name… I’m sure your family is very nice and believe me, they don’t deserve the grief that your conduct lays upon them — you’re the only one who doesn’t comprende…:(

72. Jonathan Mark said on 14 Aug 2007 at 5:32 pm:

Hey everybody, I just noticed that Michele McQuigg’s website has a list of endorsers for her Court Clerk race, and one of them is Jim Young.

Should BVBL readers hold Jim Young’s endorsement against her?

(1) Michele already has one strike against her for speaking in praise of Faisal from the podium at Gill’s 3/31/07 campaign kickoff. By the way, Michele’s website does not show any endorsement from Faisal Gill, even though she has endorsed him. I suspect that Michele is now ashamed to be associated with Faisal, AS WELL SHE SHOULD BE!

(2) She has a second strike against her because as Credentials Committee co-chair at the HOD-51 Convention she FAILED TO PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF VOTING BADGES, making it possible for unscrupulous Faisal Gill supporters to vote early and vote often.

(3) And now Michele has a third strike against her, James Young’s endorsement. James Young who defends the overvoted HOD-51 convention as proper. I wonder what sort of shenanigans Michele and Jim might have planned for the Court House if Michele wins? If overvotes are okay why not backdate some documents too? Why not throw out some existing documents and substitute new ones which show what really happens?

You know, I sometimes attend Potomac Nationals games in PWC, and one of the things I learned is that in baseball, it’s “three strikes and you’re out.”

Well, it ought to be that way in politics too. Michele has three strikes against her, so SHE’S OUT!

73. freedom said on 14 Aug 2007 at 6:01 pm:

Hey Jonathan, what in the world took you so long???? Michelle has been “out” big time, for a long, long time…:(

She’s another one of those who “asked Faisal questions about his past and believes what he says,” she apparently doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with violating Navy and DoD Directives if it’s “for the better good,” and must kinda like “super fast street-drivers.” Well, not necessarily, but votes are votes. :(

74. Jonathan Mark said on 14 Aug 2007 at 6:48 pm:

What Kopko, McQuigg et al did last March was not merely wrong, it was also politically stupid. Some of them will pay a price for it.

If Michele expected to receive a net pickup from pro-Faisal bloc voters out there then Michele would list an endorsement from Faisal at the top of her endorsements page. But she doesn’t. She mentions inconsequential supporters like Jim Young, but not Faisal.

Michele supported Faisal early, last March, before the former AMC chief lobbyist had even been declared the winner of the HOD-51 overvoting contest.

But now Michele by her reticence to mention receiving Faisal’s support on her webpage shows that she does not believe that Faisal is a net gain for those who endorsed him. On the contrary, Michele shows by it that she believes her association with Faisal hurts her more than it helps her.

Hopefully it will all go down the tubes for McQuigg in November, and people will be able to point at her and laugh “Ha, Ha, we told you so. You sold out your honor for office, and now you have neither honor nor office!”

75. Bryanna said on 16 Aug 2007 at 9:29 pm:

Seems that Chairman Corey Stewart has abandoned his Catholic church in Woodbridge. He is now attending a conservative evangelical church in the heart of Brenstville where he won all precincts in 2006, all of which are weighted votes. Gee, that’s not obvious is it…..

www.goodbyefaisal.com

Coming soon….coreyneedstogo-yo.com

76. AWCheney said on 17 Aug 2007 at 1:15 pm:

I expect, Ari, that it’s the same one that Stevie Chapman’s handlers sent him to join when he was supposed to “move” to somewhere in the 50th District…Manassas Assembly of God. It is apparently very political.

77. Harry said on 25 Aug 2007 at 4:02 pm:

James Young is way too obese to waddle around and take down signs