Walter Tejada: Can You Say That To My Face?

By Greg L | 9 August 2007 | Arlington County, Illegal Aliens, Prince William County | 45 Comments

Arlington County Board Vice-Chairman Walter Tejada apparently got together with a bunch of other illegal alien apologists in order to complain that citizens in Prince William County, having exceeded their capacity to tolerate rampant unlawful behavior by illegal aliens, has decided to start petitioning their elected officials for redress of their grievances at a panel discussion with the Center For American Progress. The friendly crowd, gathered by this extremist liberal think tank that actually held an event entitled “Who Would Jesus Deport” earlier this year, gave Tejada a perfect venue to go completely over the top:

..the failure of the Federal government to act [on immigration] has unofficially given the green light for those who are hateful and who are angry…a minority of angry people who are savvy to maneuver the political process and the local elected officials, and then give them bad information on how to exclude people from their community. In my opinion, the Prince William/Loudoun ordinances are nothing more than government sanctioned xenophobia at its very ugliest.

Mr. Tejada, if you want to discuss our policies towards enforcing immigration laws, which are supported in bi-partisan unanimity by our Board of County Supervisors, I’ll meet you anywhere in Prince William County, any time, so you can have the pleasure of spewing these lies and falsehoods to my face.  Let’s do this somewhere the citizens of Prince William County you are so eager to smear as nothing but racists might have an opportunity to hear the garbage you’re so eager to spew from the safety of your well-removed illegal alien apologist echo chambers.  Maybe you’ll even convince some of us that you’re right.  I suppose it’s possible.
C’mon, Walter.  You’re not afraid to say this in Prince William County, are you?

1. Heartbleed said on 9 Aug 2007 at 11:17 pm:

Geez, i never saw so many nitwits in one place…..you all really need to get a life……so much hate and nowhere to put it all. Walter makes a lot more sense than anything i read here so far…duh…………put dem on da bus hahaha…not bad for the manassas intelligensia!!! keep up the good work guys….i wonder how much our property values go down each time you get in a public forum….whether taxes, or government, or racial mixes…..you guys all have the same answers!!!

2. citizenofmanassas said on 9 Aug 2007 at 11:25 pm:

Heartbleed,

At least we do not support criminals. Can you say the same? Walter is the one that is full of hate. He just cannot understand why people hate illegals, so he has to resort to using the race card.

Would Prince William County embrace any other type of criminal? I don’t think so. So why should they embrace illegals?

3. Anonymous said on 9 Aug 2007 at 11:34 pm:

Tejada is the future of Virginia. I say that not as a supporter of that sleazy POS, I say that as an observer of what is going on. Illegals have been given the tools with which they can vote. They are given a free pass to stay in our communities, polluting them. They are breeding like caged rats.

They will quickly out number honest citizens and their votes will elect more of the Tejada garbage.

All courtesy of the spineless and amoral Virginia House of Delegates. Next time your delegate asks you for money - thank him.

4. The Advocate said on 10 Aug 2007 at 1:21 am:

When I first looked in this area for a home back in 1992, I had a friend who worked in real estate. She told me that there is a nice condo community that is white and you won’t have to deal with the niggers and wetbacks. I was totally appalled at the manner in which she referenced them. I know that she lived in this area most of her life, but never felt for one moment that should give any person license to insult in such a derogatory manner. Needless to say, I don’t consider this person a friend and anyone who doesn’t see this website as a forum for prejudice and inciting hatred by constantly pointing the finger to a people whose only crime is wanting to work and live here has got to have their heads examined!!!

5. Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2007 at 1:29 am:

It didn’t take long for the race card to be played.

Advocate - if you cannot understand the rule of law - you need YOUR head examined.

It is people like you that encourage illegal behaviour. I hope you are proud of yourself.

6. The Advocate said on 10 Aug 2007 at 2:06 am:

Hey Anonymouth: Manassas for many years had a bad reputation for being a breeding ground for prejudiced rednecks. When someone who has lived here most of their lives makes such an incidious statement about ANY group of people and work in such a public profession don’t YOU think that says something about the character of that individual.

Agreed, if we lived in a perfect world where the newcomers were registered, dotted their I’s and crossed their T’s and did everything that made everyone happy; that still wouldn’t be enough…. because THEY are not like US. By the way, the rule of law does sound a bit like hitler but of course you or someone else will comeback with a really good one liner to really tell me off! …but I already know you all know way better since you are so edjumicated.

7. Dolph said on 10 Aug 2007 at 3:06 am:

Advocate,

Just because one works in a public profession does not mean that person is representative of everyone in the community.

Why are you tarring everyone with the same brush? I see very little difference in the comments of your realtor (which seemed rather blatant rather than insidious to me) and those you make about people in this community.

Please evaluate the people here as individuals. Take issue with me for what I say, but not over what others say. Having an opinion and posting it here does not immediately make me a mindless, prejudiced, redneck bimbo. My opinion might make you think that of me, but my presence here should not.

8. Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2007 at 3:16 am:

Advocate - thank you. You make the case so much easier by your writings. You have no position, you have no argument. Your tactic is to throw bombs to intimidate. Like la raza, like cair. You are in fine company my friend.

You are pathetic - not intimidating.

9. liz said on 10 Aug 2007 at 7:03 am:

In full swing today, are we?
    It seems that everyone is forgetting that PWC is just a microcosm representative of the rest of the country. If anyone thinks that it is only a handful of people that are angry or feel threatened by the lawlessness in this country, they are sorely mistaken.

Millions of people are angry, upset and feel that their point of view and their anger are not represented. Why do you think that the amnesty bill was not passed? because millions of americans petitioned their elected officials.

PWC is not an anacronysm. It is not some backward enclave where a bunch of “southerners” are hiding behind a flag. It is just a place where the impact of illegal immigration is greater than the rest and that is why you are seeing action and pushing back.

10. Manexico Resident said on 10 Aug 2007 at 7:32 am:

Stop playing the “hate” and “race” card.

I can plainly see the immigration debate focuses mainly on the hispanic populace. The issue, however, isn’t about the race…please get that through your collective heads…its about demanding a change in our Gov’ts apparent “blind eye” policy, its about restoring calm on our streets, in our neighborhoods and in our outlying communities…its about reclaiming services that are meant for those that deserve them–those who are law abiding. Its about restoring a way of life that has been eroded over the years…I want to, so badly, order a cheese burger and not have to worry about whether or not I’m going to have to say “Queso porfavor” (I’m sure thats terribly misspelled, my apologies).

11. Thinkabout it said on 10 Aug 2007 at 8:42 am:

Well,
    We need only look to the barbaric murders of three innocent kids in Newark New Jersey to see what PWC and Northern VA will be like if this invasion of uneducated workers continues to infiltrate us.

I’m sure the ring leader “Carranza” is illegal but you won’t hear the authorities in Newark (A sanctuary city for illegals) mention it–seems they love recklessness and mayhem.

We are nearing the midpoint of the genration of illegals who brought there kids here worked day and night giving the kids anything they asked for without placing value on eduaction. Now, the dropout rate and pregnancy rates are soaring and the economy is out of the boom stage.

What will they turn to to sustain their lifestyles, drugs, liquor, crime–they see the custodial/ construction work their parents did as “beneath them”..boy are we in for it

12. Thinkabout it said on 10 Aug 2007 at 8:47 am:

Let’s see what Mr Tejada and Arlington County has to say once the federal cash cow dollars move to Fairfax–where will the money come from to sustain their illegal alien habit?

13. Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2007 at 8:52 am:

Look @ “The Advocate” and “Heartbleed” well fellow HSM’ers. This is the face of the opposition.

They sit in there McMansions far removed from the problem while illegal aliens clean their pools, trim their hedges, and help their husband’s business rake in the profit. PWC is the new bedroom community for their illegal help. We, the legal residents, are the uneducated racist hicks that are putting a damper on their lifestyle.

14. Mando said on 10 Aug 2007 at 8:53 am:

Anonymous 8:52 was me.

15. Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:09 am:

You have only to look at what’s already happened in Prince William to know where “hate” leads … whether it is called hatred of “illegals” or fear of others who do not share our ethnicity, religion or our class. Two teens plead guilty to murdering a father of three on his way home from work because he was “out to get a Mexican.” No matter what the intent of those leading Help Save, the effect is clear. It is seeding the bitter harvest of hatred that once unleashed knows no boundaries.

The apologists for the hate mongers need only answer one question to show the intolerance of their cause … has there ever been one meeting among members of both sides of this argument in which a real effort has been made at understanding the legitimate causes for concern on both sides (the issues related to overcrowding, differences in cultural norms, etc on one side and the growing concern about spreading hatred focused almost exclusively on Latinos/Hispanics that is not limited to “illegals” in its effect on the other)? Has any leader of Prince William, civic or political, called for or facilitated a conversation?

If the answer is no. The question is why not?

16. Thinkabout it said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:10 am:

Well Said, Well said..this is the root of the problem. Where Greed meets the rule of law and we are beginning to gain the upper hand..and they are worried

17. Thinkabout it said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:16 am:

Again,

The root of the problem was summed up by mando and he is right on the money..
    the root of the problem. is the intersection of Greed and the rule of law and we are beginning to gain the upper hand..and they are worried

18. fed up said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:18 am:

You cannot facilitate conversations with people that shout racist and piss in your yard

19. Thinkabout it said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:20 am:

Agree Fedup, if they can’t even accept the fact that being in the country and stealing an identity is a crime, how an you even begin a conversation..we’d last 2 seconds in their country trying that

20. Maureen Wood said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:43 am:

Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:09 am “has there ever been one meeting among members of both sides of this argument in which a real effort has been made at understanding the legitimate causes for concern on both sides ”

There have been meetings where both sides have had dialogues, but nothing much is ever accomplished. GMU held a conference on this very issue and I said that this has been started before and unless there is follow though and subsequent meetings, nothing will ever be changed. That was in the Spring and not one meeting has been held since then.

Until the pro-illegal alien groups stop linking illegal aliens and LEGAL immigrants together, the dialogue is very limited. To group the two together is a disservice to the legal immigrants who worked for years to come here. They want total amnesty for those who have broken the law. They excuse illegal behavior such as stealing someone’s identity because they need to work. Driving with out a license because they have to get to work. It never ends.

And that is just a few reasons why dialogue doesn’t seem work. I think almost everyone of us would be willing to meet if we thought a difference could be made, but so far that is not the case.

21. John Light said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:44 am:

“Has any leader of Prince William, civic or political, called for or facilitated a conversation?” - yeah, it’s called ICE paying a visit to their houses and places of work.

Tell me, WHY should we meet with a group of people who are here illegally and care nothing for our laws??? That would be like saying we should have a sit down talk with the Mafia or Hells Angels and see if we all can have a “Come to Jesus Moment.”

There are members in the Hispanic community who are just as sick of the illegals because they (the illegals) are bringing hatred and wrath down on the legitimate community.

You obey the laws, you don’t get in trouble. You break them, you go to jail or, in the case of the illegals, you get returned home and leave your wife or girlfriend here and return to your wife and chilren there.

22. fed up said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:48 am:

Dialogue cannot work if the person on the other side wants to break the law. Have you ever tried having a dialogue with illegal aliens? They do not want dialogue, because dialogue means that they have to come to a compromise, give something up, such as giving up some of their illegal behaviors. They do not want to do that. They want to change the laws to suit their needs. Who are these people that come to this country and want to change our laws?
    Can we change the laws in their country?

23. TH said on 10 Aug 2007 at 9:58 am:

“They will quickly out number honest citizens and their votes will elect more of the Tejada garbage”

First of all you are assumming that illegal aliens vote. If that is not the assumption, then the ones voting are citizens and they have the right to elect Tejada or George Bush. I think that waht you need to do is to protect the system to avoid election fraud.
    One thing though, people who elect candidates you dislike are not dishonest.

24. Leila said on 10 Aug 2007 at 10:57 am:

Mando, aka Anonymous 8:52, could I please have that McMansion you mentioned with all the grounds and workers? I mean it’s hardly fair. I’ve been labeled a “sympathiser” here repeatedly, in echoes of the lovely red-baiting 50s, and yet I have none of the accoutrements you specify belong to my political caste. I live in a tiny garden apartment complex in the People’s Republic of Arlington. Try as I might, I cannot convince any of my Central American neighbors, despite their likely illegality, to trim my hedges or dandle my babies for bargain basement wages. Maybe it is because I have neither, but at least they could help with the dishes.

Cher Mando, since you appear to be convinced that typical people sympathetic to illegal aliens must be the McMansion type, can you get me one? Or if not the house, at least the pool! It would really help in this heat. That, or reverse your bizarre stereotypes, ok?

25. Leila said on 10 Aug 2007 at 11:11 am:

I am wondering why you all focus so much on Walter Tejada. Do you think his politics are out of step with the rest of the Arlington Board. I mean maybe he runs faster than them, being a soccer player and all, but it appears from the composition of the board and the majority politics in Arlington, which tends toward the liberal and Democratic, that Tejada and the others represent the County, which is what they were elected to do. I realize that even the thought of a Salvadoran-American county board member in the State of Virginia may fluster some of you. But honestly, I promise you could get just as much anti-liberal mileage out of Jay Fisette, Barbara Favola, etc.

You might also like Tejada’s work against youth gangs, oh but that would complicate things wouldn’t it.

26. Dolph said on 10 Aug 2007 at 11:47 am:

Leila,

I am glad you are back. I may not agree with you on some issues, but you do bring levity to this forum and you are one damn good writer.

Dolph

27. Dolph said on 10 Aug 2007 at 11:49 am:

TH,

“One thing though, people who elect candidates you dislike are not dishonest.”

I will agree with this statement 100% if you would consider just inserting the word ‘necessarily’ between not and dishonest.

28. Leila said on 10 Aug 2007 at 12:00 pm:

Thanks for the welcome back, Dolph. I hope you are bearing up under the heat. You are right, we don’t agree on many issues, but you have always been civil in your dealings with everyone here and that is much appreciated.

I do need some shorter sentences, but I fear I always hit enter too quickly. I will work on that.

29. citizenofmanassas said on 10 Aug 2007 at 12:32 pm:

Leila,

You might want to look at the title of this thread. It is not about the entire Arlington County board, just one person. So, ya, the focus would be pretty narrow in scope. But, you are right Arlington is run by a bunch of lefties.

I grew up in Arlington, and I have to say it is a far different town then what it used to be. I can’t say it has changed for the better either. But, as you say I guess it is poetic justice, the people reap what they sow.

30. Mando said on 10 Aug 2007 at 1:23 pm:

@Leila

So what is your motivation? The way I see it, there are primarily two groups (of American citizens) that would advocate violating our immagration laws. Those whom profit from it (financially and/or politcally) and those whom are sympathizers. I assume you’re the latter, and I can respect that. 5+ years ago I felt the same way. But not anymore. I see our laws being spat on and I see good citzens being called racists and ignorant by those that haven’t even set foot in our towns. I see a foreign government encouraging its citizens to break our laws for it’s own profit. I see our own government doing nothing for it’s citizens to prevent this. I see people using their race as a shield to skirt the law and symphathizers encouraging it. I see good people intimidated with lawsuits and threats. I sympathize no more. That line has been crossed.

31. alexander valentine mitchell said on 10 Aug 2007 at 1:58 pm:

John Light,
    I don’t understand why you compare illegal aliens to the mafia, or the hells angels. and, to ALL i dont understand why you assume that all illegals usually engage in illegal behaviors outside of their illegal status of course. please enlighten me. it seems like the whole of the hispanic community up there is running some kind of drug/prostitution ring and beating up your perfect white children everyday. Oh, John, another thing; if you knew anything about Jesus, you would know that he did in fact come for gangsters and hells angels. please dont confuse being white anglo saxon and protestant with a god who loves all people, even dark skinned illegals.

32. citizenofmanassas said on 10 Aug 2007 at 2:21 pm:

Alexandria,

As a matter of fact illegals do play a big part in drug trafficking. And, there has been a number of prostitution homes busted in PW County where the accused have all been hispanic(mostly illegal). Oh, and don’t forget about MS13 and other hispanic gangs(whose members are mostly illegal)

I don’t understand you and others who support illegals, you down play the fact they have broken the law. Why? Are your ethics and morals that bankrupt?

33. Citizen by choice said on 10 Aug 2007 at 4:07 pm:

Hogar Hispano, a program of Catholic Charities, is now accepting NEW immigration cases. New clients are accepted Tuesdays and Thursdays only from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. The consultation fee is $50. Attorneys will be available to advise clients regarding permanent residency (green card) through family petitions, consular processing, NACARA, VAWA, TPS applications, naturalization assistance, and work permits. Hogar Hispano is located in the 7-corners area, next to Sears and across the street from Shoppers market. The address is 6201 Leesburg Pike, Suite 307, Falls Church, VA, 22044.

Hogar Hispano provides assistance to immigrants of all nationalities and religions. Services offered include English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, legal counseling and

HELP IMMIGRANTS BECOME LEGAL.
    Teach English

That is the solution!

34. Batson D. Belfrey said on 10 Aug 2007 at 5:15 pm:

“I can plainly see the immigration debate focuses mainly on the hispanic populace. ”

Well Duh! Considering that the MAJORITY of illegals in this country originate from Latin America, illegally gained entrance in the the US from the Sourthern border with Mexico, and considering that there are as many Mexican citizens living in the US, both illegally and legally, as there are living in Mexico, YES the immigration debate would focus mainly on the hispanic population. Illegals of Hispanic origin make up the MAJORITY of those living in the US. Now if we happened to be over-run in the future by wave after wave of French-Canadians, the debate would shift there.

35. Had to Say said on 10 Aug 2007 at 6:40 pm:

“i dont understand why you assume that all illegals usually engage in illegal behaviors outside of their illegal status of course.”

Maybe because they are paid under the table, against the law.
    Maybe because they STEAL s.s.n.’s to work, against the law.

36. John Light said on 10 Aug 2007 at 6:41 pm:

Alexander - please don’t bring Jesus into this, but since you did, he came for ALL sinners, they just have to accept…question is, have you?

37. Alan said on 11 Aug 2007 at 1:09 pm:

I find it incredible how hypocritical Mr. Tejada is! While he claims to be a champion of illegal alien rights, his own county (Arlington) gov. will not employee them.

Essentially he claims he will not and cannot employee illegal aliens however if anyone else won’t employee them or even objects to illegally employing them, then they are a racist.

38. The Advocate said on 12 Aug 2007 at 12:49 am:

To the Anonymous on 10 Aug 2007: The fact is I don’t live in a McMansion. I live in a very modest 1 level home, cut my own lawn, plant and trim my own garden, and do all other home related work. Remember to “ass-u-me” something is to make an ass out of you and me!

39. Anon said on 12 Aug 2007 at 3:12 am:

So advocate, I guess you are a low level communist then?

40. The Advocate said on 12 Aug 2007 at 3:30 am:

Anon: In what way does that make someone a communist? …uh oh! Sounds like Joe McCarthy is back! Anyone who does not agree with your point of view must be a communist.

41. An_Arlington_Realist said on 12 Aug 2007 at 3:40 pm:

A public official that lies a little will lie a lot! See this piece from the Arlington Sun Gazette today about J. Walter Tejada just makin’ stuff up:

Let’s Keep the Hyperbole Under Control, Shall We?
    By Scott McCaffrey, Editor’s Notebook, Arlington Sun Gazette

Arlington County Board Vice Chairman Walter Tejada received news coverage last week when he blasted some of his fellow Northern Virginia elected officials for what some have called anti-immigrant stances.

Tejada, in his remarks, said that “99.9 percent” of the immigrants in this nation are hard-working, law-abiding residents.

OK, let’s not get crazy here.

Nobody looks more favorably on our immigrant neighbors than do I, but you don’t win points with me by making things up. Suggesting that 99.9 percent of immigrants are law-abiding is akin to suggesting 99.9 percent of any other group is the same. It’s ridiculously high. Our jails would be pretty much empty if 99.9 percent of the 300 million of us never caused any trouble.

Tejada’s comments were not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but such hyperbole, whether coming from the left or the right, irks me. Facts are facts, and you either have them or you don’t.

42. Angry Black man said on 23 Aug 2007 at 1:47 pm:

Arlington needs to vote this jerk off the board. He advocated the breaking of our laws by his comments on the effects of illegal immigration.

43. Tom Day said on 8 Nov 2007 at 6:49 am:

Tejada is the worst kind of politician or what he thinks a politician is. He benefits from his racist views, projecting fear in his own community, instead of speaking the truth to people who broke our laws, sneaking in our country, and seem to not think past the color of their skin. There is a difference between citizens and illegal residents, that is, one is law abiding and the other is not. Myself, I don’t want to hear the ” oh, help the poor illegals become Americans” They are a burden to this country, period. They care nothing of our laws and morals, they get what they can from this country because that is the basis of their stay. There is nothing moral about illegal immigration, its about how much one can gain while here. Of course, people are fed up with the difference they bring, because they are illegally here, if they were legal, it would be no problem. It also speaks to the lack of understanding of American society, that we are a Federal Republic of Laws, with States Rights, this is what makes America great and different from other countries. The rule of law brings the order that societies need to advance. Break the law and you are punished, follow the law and you prosper. Illegal immigrants need to understand our anger to people who have broken laws, and in theory and fact, continue to break laws as long as they are here. Illegals hurt the working class first, and I don’t have to go into the details. To all the Tejadas and others who confuse the subject, its over, this country will change the status quo, this is what you are seeing, citizens demanding states and government correct this problem. If i was illegal, I would call it a day and return to my home to help change what is the real crime, and that is, a country that does not take care of it’s citizens. take what you have learned here and help your own country. Excuse me if I sound pissed, because I am.

Views: 2088