Another Grisly Murder - UPDATED

By Greg L | 15 August 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Crime, Manassas City | 113 Comments

NBC4 has the story on a recent grisly murder in Manassas where the suspected killer nonchalantly related to his friends that he had killed a 19 year-old girl:

Police said they suspect the killer to be 18-year-old Jose Martinez-Zeron. Witnesses interviewed off-camera said they saw four people leaving the apartment, including Martinez-Zeron.

A neighbor said he had blood on his stomach and pants. The neighbor said he walked away calmly saying he had been with Lessing-Yanes and she wasn’t going to wake up.

This attitude seems disturbingly reminiscent of what we’ve seen from MS-13 members over the years, who give little more thought to taking human lives than they might give to considering what to order at Burger King. Although the immigration status of Jose Martinez-Zeron hasn’t been reported yet, it would surprise me not at all to learn this is an illegal alien.

UPDATE: A sharp BVBL reader alerted us to this Manassas Park Police Department press release in the comments section:

Date of Release: 081307
Type of Offense: False Identity
Dates of Occurrence: 081007 0010
Location: 8840 Centreville Road (Manassas Park Shopping Center)
Vehicles Involved: 1999 Honda Civic

Suspect:

Arrests: Jose David Martinez-Zeron, 18, 8972 Ashton Avenue, Manassas

Officer watched vehicle turn into the rear parking lot of Manassas Park Shopping Center and turn off all lights. Upon investigating, the operator, Mr. Martinez-Zeron gave three alternate identities. A picture ID was located in rear floorboard. He was subsequently charged with giving false identification to a law enforcement officer and driving without an operators license and incarcerated with $1,000 bond. Court date is 101107

Driving without a license, multiple fake identities, yep, this is an illegal alien all right. I would be utterly shocked to learn otherwise.

1. Mando said on 15 Aug 2007 at 10:38 am:

Interesting that the MJM decided not to report that in conjunction with their “cry me a river” piece.

2. Mando said on 15 Aug 2007 at 10:39 am:

However, I suppose the fact that two cats were prematurely euthanized is more newsworthy.

3. citizenofmanassas said on 15 Aug 2007 at 10:49 am:

As I mentioned in another thread, it seems the priorities of the MJM are screwed up. It does make you wonder why they would not run the story the next day, afterall, they had all day to write the story. Surely if Elliot in the Morning(DC 101) can find time to mention the story a full 24 hours after the murder, the much larger and more local news outlet should be able to do the same.

It makes one wonder just what exactly the MJM is doing or not doing these days.

4. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:00 am:

AGAIN! ONE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY!

5. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:12 am:

COM
    I think it becomes clearer with each passing day the Journal Mess is doing NOTHING these days.
    I wonder what this suspect’s status is? Illegal behavior is a pretty good indication that more than likely this guy is an ILLEGAL ALIEN. I’m curious to know if he’s a gang member as well.

6. citizenofmanassas said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:26 am:

There is time to find that out, so I would rather just wait before making any comments on that issue.

The larger question though of course is the inaction of the MJM. What other stories are they refusing to cover? Maybe one of their employees who monitor this site will weigh in.

7. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:35 am:

COM
    I’ve heard of several serious crimes, that were never in the paper at all.
    I agree, there a time to find out more info. Now, is not the time. Now, the police need to find this guy.
    Does anyone know is he still walking around free man?

8. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:49 am:

The world has changed so much. I remember if a murder occured in a small town, different state, it MADE HEADLINE news. It is like people have become desensitized, but you would think that the LOCAL paper would have a DUTY to let the citzens know and I DON’T MEAN 2 WEEKS LATER, ETC. LEGAL OR NOT, that is not the issue, it makes it more HORRIFIC if it happens to be an illegal. I try to be aware of my surrounding and teach my kids to do the same BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO GET SOME HEADS UP OF WHAT IS GOING ON IN OUR OWN COMMUNITY BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE~
    WAKE UP MJM!
    WE NEED A NEW NEWS SOURCE, OH YEAH THAT’S RIGHT WE HAVE ONE, THANKS GREG!

9. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 12:22 pm:

I’ve just called the Journal Mess., and had to leave a message on the PW Editor’s voicemail. I expressed my concern, and displeasure with their failure to report on a murder in Manassas.
    The news stations, and WaPo reported this murder, and they’re in DC, and the Mess is our local newspaper and yet they reported nothing. They also, need to explain to the public why they didn’t feel the need to report on this murder right here in Manassas, and a supspect on the run.
    I would suggest all call and/or email the Mess, and express your opinion.
    The MJM’s phone number is 703-368-3101

10. Big Dog said on 15 Aug 2007 at 12:36 pm:

Lafayette,
    Perhaps I missed it, but didn’t see any mention
    of the murder in this morning’s WaPo or on their
    website.
    And, yes, the MJM is fast becoming a joke -
    some decent reporters, but poor management. Sad.

11. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 12:46 pm:

Big Dog and All
    I’m sorry, I was thinking of another story in the WaPo. I will email my correction to the MJM. I hate too, but I MUST.
    I’d like to add that story was in the Mess. The story on Correction officer and inmate on house arrest.
    However, the Mess felt it more important report on a correction officer having sex with an inmate, instead of a murder with a supspect on the loose.
    Again, I’m very sorry for my error.

12. JM said on 15 Aug 2007 at 12:56 pm:

It seems that no one besides me has noticed a previous incident involving Jose Martinez-Zeron. In Friday, August 10, Manassas Park Police charged “Jose David Martinez-Zeron, 18, 8972 Ashton Avenue, Manassas” with False Identity. He provided THREE false ids before MP police determined his true identity, and was also driving without a license. I say it is a pretty safe bet he is illegal. He bonded out for $1000. Had he been held for even a few days, and had ICE been contacted, it’s possible that the young woman would not have been killed. Here is the link to the press release for Friday’s arrest:

13. Rick Bentley said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:21 pm:

Assuming JM has connected the dots on this one, we need to raise hell about this. I want Michelle Malkin and Bill O’Reilly to have Chief Deane’s name on their lips.

14. Anonymous said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:21 pm:

Who is the judge who let him go?

THESE are the people who desperately need sunshine.

15. Maureen Wood said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:27 pm:

I just checked the Manassas City police archive center and there are some serious incidents that have happened recently and not ONE of them has been reported by the MJM. Shame on the MJM for their non-reporting of crimes in Manassas and Manassas Park. MJM you need to change your ways!!!!

Below is the link if anyone would like to see what is happening in Manassas

16. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:37 pm:

INFO RE: JOSE MARTINEZ-ZERON

CASE#GC07007573-00

arraignment date 8/10/07 court room 2B
    GENERAL DISTRICT COURT
    ARRESTING OFFICER: W W QUESENBERRY
    JUDGE: JOHNSTON

17. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:43 pm:

FULL NAME OF JUDGE: GRAIG D. JOHNSTON

18. Big Dog said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:44 pm:

Mr. Bentley,
    1) Any charges filed by Manassas Park police
    wouldn’t be under the control of the Prince
    William County police chief.
    2)The officers can only arrest and charge -
    then the court system takes over.
    3) Greg is right, this guy should have been
    held for ICE review and not walked
    on a chump change bond. A life might
    have been saved.

19. Anonymous said on 15 Aug 2007 at 1:56 pm:

August 15, 2007 - 11:50am
    ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A District Heights man is being held without bond on rape charges after he allegedly attacked a woman and a girl while they were swimming at Sandy Point State Park.

The 18-year-old woman and the 13-year-old girl reported the rapes Sunday night to Maryland Natural Resources Police.

Charged with two counts of first-degree rape is Juan Payz Reyes, 33.

“We believe he is not in the country legally,” Sgt. Ken Turner of Maryland Natural Resources Police tells WTOP. “We’re working with INS (immigration and Naturalization Service) to determine his status.”

According to court documents, Reyes first approached an 18-year-old woman in the water and asked her to have sex with him. When she said no, he threatened to slit her throat, and he raped her.

Shortly thereafter, Reyes approached a 13-year-old girl in the water and assaulted her, the court documents said.

The two females were part of a group trip from Sheppard Pratt Hospital in Baltimore. Sheppard Pratt is a facility that offers psychiatric care, rehabilitation and a variety of counseling and therapy services.

Reyes told police that both sex acts were consensual. But police said he tried to flee the scene, but his truck was cut off by a bus driver, who prevented him from leaving the park.

“This is an open case. A lot of aspects are still under investigation,” Turner says.

Reyes is being held at the Anne Arundel Detention Center.

How many times has this POS been in the hands of law enforcement?

20. Had to Say said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:00 pm:

And people wonder why we want the illegals GONE!!!!!!

21. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:14 pm:

MAN o MAN
    i just got off the phone with Ellen Mitchell (editor at MJM) and Susan ???? (executive editor at MJM) they are certainly in attack mode. They must be getting bombarded with calls. I questioned them about the murder and got a lot of song and dance about not being notified by the police. I asked her if it wasn’t someone’s responsibility there at MJM to be proavtive when it comes to issues like ‘murder.’ Her answer was something like ’sheesh what’s wrong with you people.’ I also asked about why there isn’t a free copy of ‘Centro’ in English availiable outside of the MJM office’s on Center street. I was told that if I wanted to read those stories all I had to do was buy the paper about a week before ‘cuz all of the stories in ‘Centro’ are about a week old. Ok…I said how do I get a copy of Centro in English so I don’t have to buy the paper. She says that the Centro is more of an advertising tool for those advertisers that want to target spanish speaking customers. Well, I asked about the advertising rates if the rates are the same for Centro and the MJM…her answer was ‘I don’t know. I try to stay away from those issues.’ Again, I asked why isn’t there a FREE English version of Centro and her curt answer was ‘ That’s how we do it.’ I told her she was losing lots of subscribers and she didn’t think so. Well, I just cashed my $76.00 refund check from MJM and I’ve been a long time subscriber and I used to subscribe on an annual basis. BYE BYE MJM.

22. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:16 pm:

Notice this cop doesn’t know that the INS is dead and that it’s now ICE. REMARKABLE!

23. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:18 pm:

SAD to say MJM was my first job at 14

24. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:24 pm:

redawn
    I never knew that. I’m SORRY. Well, at least you were like the rest of earning our own money. We raked leaves, mowed lawns, pulled weeds, washed cars, and my favorite babysitting.
    We were raised with strong American values. Work for what you want, and not take.

25. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:26 pm:

Mr Sentz
    I heard about this at the fair last night from several sources. The Mess has hit an ALL TIME LOW!!!
    Talking about the need for a BOYCOTT.

26. fed up said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:29 pm:

Bob Sentz
    Just figured you would like to know:

Man Held Without Bond in Rapes at Sandy Point
    August 15, 2007 - 11:50am

Charged with two counts of first-degree rape is Juan Payz Reyes, 33.

I seem to be able to find a lot of reasons for not liking the way the law is not being enforced against illegals.

27. citizenofmanassas said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:39 pm:

Gee where are all of the illegal aliens supporters now? We have another one of those “hard working just doing the jobs Americans do not want to do folks” committing another crime.

I think the judge should be charged with accessory to murder since he allowed this creep to go free. In all seriousness, the judge knew this guy was an illegal, therefore he most likely was a “flight risk” yet he still let him go. I think we need a new law that hold judges accountable in this types of situations, yes the judge is not always sure of the future intent of the person, but given this creep had three IDs is sort of a clue.

I wonder if the MJM is still against the 287 program?

28. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:43 pm:

I forgot to mention that Ellen (MJM editor) says she is posting the murder info on the web and sounded like it would be today. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

29. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:52 pm:

SO WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE THE MUGSHOT, SO WE CAN HUNT HIM DOWN, I HEARD DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER WAS IN TOWN.YO DOG, YOU STILL HERE?

30. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:56 pm:

Bob S
    Any idea where they post an update to the paper? I can’t say that I’ve seen them do this before. I will be checking their website. I have a feeling it will be a fairly long wait. I sure hope I’m wrong about that.

31. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:57 pm:

Did anyone see Greta van Sustern (sp?) last night on Fox? She played the courtroom video of the Jose Arranzo (or whatever the f his name is) and when the judge asked about his social security card Jose’s answer, thru the tax-payer-provided translator, he answered ‘I don’t have it.’ That did not even phase the judge or the prosecutor. Surprisingly, it was the defendant’s tax-payer-provided attorney that clarified for the judge that it wasn’t like Jose didn’t know his SS#, but that Jose DID NOT HAVE A SS#. Still didn’t phase the judge or prsecutor.

WHY?!!!

Hopefully, Fox will re-air that episode or it may be online.

32. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 2:58 pm:

Lafayette-I don’t know where they would post it. I know it’s not there yet. I sure it was her way of getting rid of me. Well, it’s working!

33. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:02 pm:

Here’s the link to Channel 4 video, and it has a picture of the supspect.

34. Dolph said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:06 pm:

Bob S

Back in the day, the MJM reporters used to go rifling through the basket at the magistrates office. I guess those lean and hungry days are over.

I would like to know about all crime in my community. Silly me.

35. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:13 pm:

Dolph,
    Sad thing is, it is EASIER today to hunt for the story, alot of info. in our face and @ our finger tips…..

36. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:14 pm:

Here’s the story from Greta’s show last night.

37. Mando said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:23 pm:

I emailed MJM a while back about an attempted rape that occured in Sandalwood as witnessed by the security guard and reported to the city police. I got a reply that it would be looked into and nothing ever came of it.

The Cabel Dr. gang rape illicited nothing more than a 5 line blurb weeks after it happened.

38. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:25 pm:

I have a suggestion for those of you who would like to cancel your subscription with MJM.

Would you consider donating your REFUND to BVLB’S defense fund or Help Save Manassas?

PRETTY PLEASE?, after all we have to give back what we have been blessed to receive. THANK YOU

39. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:26 pm:

From the movie ‘Network’

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,

“I’m as mad as hell,

and I’m not going to take this anymore!!”

40. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:28 pm:

redawn

AWESOME suggestion.

41. JM said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:30 pm:

The story has finally been posted on MJM. No mention of the link between the murder and Martinez-Zeron’s release on false ID charges. MJM will continue to bury that, I’m sure.

42. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:30 pm:

Bob,
    Thanks. Hopefully there will be alot of refunds. We should do this whenever we can in a boicott, oppps, boycott (couldn’t help my self) situation :)

43. Mando said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:31 pm:

@ Bob Sentz

That’s a bit creepy man. I was just talking to co-worker not 2 hours ago trying to figure out exactly what that line was and from what movie.

44. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:34 pm:

redawn
    You know I don’t buy the paper. However, that’s a great idea.
    I will stop by the HSM booth, drop a twenty in the donation bucket, and get another HSM t-shirt. I will be wearing my HSM shirt to the Demo Derby Thursday night. I hope to see others there, doing the same.

45. JM said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:35 pm:

Darn! MJM doesn’t have a link to the story so that we can add our comments. I would have LOVED to point out the fact the guy should have been in custody since Friday!

46. manassascityresident said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:36 pm:

Redawn -
    The mugshot of the ILLEGAL murderer is on the link Maureen Wood posted above.

47. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:38 pm:

Jm,

YAWN, YAWN, just read the story, thank you. WE UNCOVERED MORE INFO RIGHT HERE , sad piece of a s…tory

48. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:45 pm:

Thanks manassascityresident said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:36 pm

49. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:46 pm:

Well, it looks like they watched or read the story from Channel and slapped a little something together, to shut the masses up. I’m truly surprised at how quick they posted something, no matter how weak.
    redawn
    Your exactly right what a POS!!

50. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:47 pm:

JM
    How about firing off a letter or email to the Editorial Page of the Mess, or have you had a letter printed in the last 30days?

51. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:47 pm:

corr
    Channel 4(FOUR)

52. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:56 pm:

JM,
    I forgot to thank you for the breaking news :)

53. Mike Austin said on 15 Aug 2007 at 3:58 pm:

“Jose David Martinez-Zeron, 18, 8972 Ashton Avenue, Manassas”

This address happens to be a vacant lot behind the 7-11 and in/out stores on Ashton Avenue!

54. redawn said on 15 Aug 2007 at 4:01 pm:

Lafayette,

I do not subscribe to the MJM and I will not be attending the Fair but I am dropping a check for $50.00 right now to HSM :)

BOB SENTZ,
    I AM MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will yell it out on my way back to good ole Manassas…listen for me Lafayette..giggle, giggle.

55. a nonny mouse said on 15 Aug 2007 at 4:11 pm:

8972 Ashton doesn’t even exist in the City of Manassas’s assesment database. They have 8910, 8930, 9201 and that’s it. It’s not in PWC’s database either. Theirs stops at 8501 Ashton.

56. manassascityresident said on 15 Aug 2007 at 4:14 pm:

Mike Austin -
    Are you serious? Good God! Good research - no finding the guy with that address. Don’t the police check these addresses before they let these monsters go?

I AM MAD AS HELL, AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

57. a nonny mouse said on 15 Aug 2007 at 4:18 pm:

“Don’t the police check these addresses before they let these monsters go?”

Apparently not. I know the 911 center has a database of all the addresses in the entire county, so they can’t even claim they’re too stupid to find out if it’s a false address.

58. Lafayette said on 15 Aug 2007 at 4:50 pm:

This is insane, addresses should be verified that they at least exist. Unfortunately, this madness is no surprise. We’ve seen the stories posted of minimal police work done by the police, and their dispatchers.
    ENOUGH!!!!

59. Maureen Wood said on 15 Aug 2007 at 5:50 pm:

I didn’t know where Mahogany Ct was so I looked it up. It is off of Portner Ave. I think it is in Point of Woods, but I’m not sure.

I just took the reporter to task for not including the the arrest in Manassas Park in her story. I also plan to take the editor to task.

Does anyone know the CEO or President of Media General? I think it is beyond time to take them to task on how the mjm reports, or more acurately, doesn’t.

60. Catawba said on 15 Aug 2007 at 5:59 pm:

From the U.S. Post Office website
    ( http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp )

[Alert Icon]
    This is a non-deliverable address. Mail sent to this address will be returned.
    This address is NON-DELIVERABLE
    8972 ASHTON AVE
    MANASSAS VA 20110 -

61. Anon said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:02 pm:

Illegals killing and raping our citizens, 3 cases in a day (construction workers killed by illegal from Guatemala, this killing and the children raped at a Maryland beach). This is not inclusive to this area, they just caught an illegal fugitive trying to head into Mexico that was wanted in North Carolina for a rape and a murder in separate incidents. Let’s not forget the rape that occurred a month or so ago by what is suspected to be an illegal, all of the flasher incidents with Hispanic suspects and other crimes like the man who was robbed by two Hispanics with a machete a few days ago at a gas station on Sudley. I would love to have some of these clowns try this with me, there would be a few dead illegals to ship out of the county.
    All of the apologists have to go. If they come to march to protect these scumbags I will be there to counter protest. All of the Marxist hate mongers need to go back to their crap hole countries and leave the decent people of this country alone.

62. Anon said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:09 pm:

Another note, Lou Dobbs is highlighting Spotsylvania tonight on the show.

63. Anon said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:24 pm:

64. park'd said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:36 pm:

There are 700+ members of HSM and it needs to be top priority for all of us to call ICE on September 1st and 2nd and demand that ICE send people to arrest these criminal illegal invaders and disperse this illegal march. If they refuse to act (which we know they will) then they will be derelict (once again) in their duties and only prove to us (once again) that they refuse to uphold the US constitution, making them traitors. The local ICE contact information below is the Fairfax branch office for detention and removal. Seriously everyone: Flood this office on these two days! If we keep this phone ringing off the hook then they will be forced to do something.

Field Office Director, Washington
    2675 Prosperity Avenue
    Fairfax, VA 22031
    Phone: 703-285-6200

65. Dolph said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:36 pm:

If the feds have any nads at all, they will arrest Senora Arellano the minute she hits Washington. It would send a strong message. ICE has sent out a non message that said nothing.

66. REDAWN said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:36 pm:

a nonny mouse said on 15 Aug 2007 at 4:11 pm:

checked that data base out before I left to yell I AM MAD AS HELL on the way home from work back to Manassas.

I AM MAD AS HELL and work, I think better under pressure. I have come up with more SUGGESTIONS:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY, PRETTY PLEASE:

1. I have already suggested that we take REFUNDS of cancellation to the MJM and DONATE to BVBL and/or HELP SAVE MANASSAS…GO FURTHER, LOUDOUN NEEDS OUR HELP TOO. BE CREATIVE AND GIVING

2. PLEASE DONATE YOUR MONEY BY RECYLING ALUMINUM CANS, COPPER, ETC,. IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO IT.
    EVERYONE CAN RECYCLE ALUMINUM CANS…..PLEASE CALL A SCRAP YARD.
    THERE IS ONE ON EUCLID AVE MANASSAS SCRAP METAL CO. IN THE CITY OF MANASSAS AND THE GOING RATE IS 40 CENTS A POUND.
    PLEASE DONATE TO THE ABOVE CAUSES. ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A CENTRAL DROP OFF LOCATION? PLEASE CONTACT ME THRU GREG.

3. ENOUGH BLOOD SHED, I AM MAD AS HELL! THIS COULD HAVE BEEN OUR SISTER, DAUGHTER, MOTHER, ETC.
    PLEASE LET US ALL TIE A RED RIBBON AROUND (AN OLD OAK TREE) OR WHAT EVER YOU CAN TO SEND THIS “SEEING RED, enough BLOOD SHED” MESSAGE.

WE MUST ACT AND ACT LOUD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67. REDAWN said on 15 Aug 2007 at 6:38 pm:

PARK’D,
    I believe the membership is over 1200? please someone confirm.
    I have been wathching the news and NO ONE is reporting what JM, I, MIke Austin and please forgive me if I left you out , others have reported on this site!

68. JM said on 15 Aug 2007 at 7:14 pm:

I sent a letter to the MJM editor. I am not holding out much hope that they will print a letter about a story they didn’t want to report in the first place.

69. citizenofmanassas said on 15 Aug 2007 at 7:20 pm:

ICE is not going to do a thing about the protest/march.

70. Mike Austin said on 15 Aug 2007 at 7:53 pm:

Headline from: http://mocoprogressive.blogspot.com/

“Alert: Killer in yesterday’s murder in Manassas could be headed to Montgomery County”

“Update (8/15/07 4:00 PM): No surprise - our sources have informed us that Martinez-Zeron is an illegal alien. We anticipate that other news sources will also reveal his immigration status later today or tomorrow. “

71. Mike Austin said on 15 Aug 2007 at 8:11 pm:

This is a perfect time to suggest HSM members organize a Manassas City (and neighboring jurisdictions) wide neighborhood watch initiative.

I recommend HSM members be identified by zones and network to get an organization that will cover the entire city.

If we had such an organization in place now, we would have a much stronger force (a lot more eyes) looking for this criminal than the MCPD, who are limited to the numbers on duty at any given time.

I am not advocating a vigilante force, just a neighborhood watch system.
    The NW officer for the city is ready to give all the help we need to start such an effort.

Incidentally, our past chief of police (Tutko), I believe is still in charge of this program nationwide! Chief Tutko may be a very good resource for us.

If you are interested in this idea, please let Greg know, and I am sure he will put a committee together quickly.

72. Anonymous said on 15 Aug 2007 at 8:15 pm:

Mike - Right on. Doing the job that American law enforcement won’t do.

73. Mike Austin said on 15 Aug 2007 at 8:46 pm:

Don’t misunderstand. I am not suggesting that our leo’s are not doing a good job. The last thing I want to do is alienate our leo’s.

If this is done right, the mcpd will gain a great deal of respect for hsm.

The citizens can be the eyes and make the calls. They can respond.

Just as in any employment environment, there will be some who will resent this, but there will be more that will appreciate the help.
    And resent it or not, they will respond when called.

74. Bob Sentz said on 15 Aug 2007 at 8:47 pm:

Mike Austin

That is a MOST EXCELLENT idea.

75. park'd said on 15 Aug 2007 at 9:11 pm:

Citizenofmanassas you are correct. That’s why we need to start flooding their office at the number above with hundreds and hundreds of phone calls demanding that they do. Don’t ask them; TELL them. These people are illegal invaders massing a protest and they need to be stopped. Like it or not, it’s ICE’s job to do that and we need to demand that they do it.

76. Riley, Not O'Reilly said on 15 Aug 2007 at 9:19 pm:

As bad as this is with the police not checking to see if an address is real, we recently had an incident in our community where someone tried to get into our neighborhood pool using a real Virginia driver’s license with an address that didn’t exist. The guy’s parents live in the community on that street, but the number was higher than the highest one on that particular road. Needless to say, police were called and the license was taken from him. (This person is a natural born U.S. citizen, so no illegal alien component.)

77. Gurduloo said on 15 Aug 2007 at 10:32 pm:

So the police and VDOT don’t verify addresses then? That’s absurd (but apparently true).

At least the library verifies addresses when you apply for a library card! You’d think the police could do the same.

78. anonymous said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:20 pm:

DMV, not VDOT.

The last DMV worker I dealt with didn’t know the difference between Manassas Park and Manassas. This was in the Sterling DMV, but still…

79. Mike Austin said on 15 Aug 2007 at 11:27 pm:

“He was taken into custody Wednesday night and is awaiting a court date.”

According to Channel 9 news.

80. Anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 12:13 am:

So was the girl who was murdered even here legally?:

Brenely Ester Lessing-Yanez moved to Manassas from New York in late January to live near her sister and pursue a high school diploma, her mother said Wednesday.

Two weeks ago, the 19-year-old told her mother that she didn’t think it was safe here and she wanted to move back to New York.

Tuesday morning, Manassas police officers responding to a complaint of loud music and people drinking alcohol found Lessing-Yanez’s body on a bloodied mattress in a basement apartment in the 8600 block of Mahogany Court.

Lessing-Yanez was taken to Prince William Hospital, where she died.

Police ruled her death a homicide and are searching for 18-year-old Jose Martinez-Zeron, the only suspect in the case.

Martinez-Zeron, who was charged by Manassas Park police last week for allegedly providing three false identities and for driving without a license, has lived in several places in the Manassas area, said Sgt. Tim Neumann, police spokesman.

In late 2005, Lessing-Yanez came to the United States from Guatemala to escape an abusive guardian she was living with, said her mother, Floridalma Yanez-Asencio, on Wednesday while at a relative’s home. She and her husband came from New York after they learned of their daughter’s death.

She lived in a quiet, safe neighborhood in New York with her mother but less than a year later, she left to join her sister in Manassas, hoping to finish high school and eventually study tourism, her mother said.

“Brenely is my baby girl,” she said in Spanish. “She had suffered so much in Guatemala, but then he took her life away. She is my love, my everything. I am devastated.”

A man, who said he owns the house but did not want to give his name because he fears for the safety of his family, said Lessing-Yanez and her cousin started renting the basement apartment about two months ago.

Problems began a couple weeks ago, he said, with groups of teenagers drinking in the backyard and hanging out in the basement while Lessing-Yanez and her cousin were at work.

The problems continued on Tuesday morning, when he heard loud music and talking coming from the basement.

The man said that when he and his wife went to talk with Lessing-Yanez, a man with blood on his pants walked by and said she wouldn’t be able to come to door.

After knocking on the door several times, the two let themselves in and found Lessing-Yanez on the bed in her room.

“She looked beaten,” he said, adding that her face was swollen and there was blood coming from her ears and nose.

Capt. Art Dennis of the Manassas Police Department said six to eight teens were interviewed at the apartment and some were taken to the police department for further questioning. Martinez-Zeron was not among the teens interviewed, he said.

The cause of death was not available Wednesday evening. An autopsy was performed Wednesday morning, officials said, but a final report had not been released to police.

“This murderer should be in jail forever,” Lessing-Yanez’s mother said. “He has left my heart empty. My girl was a bright girl, with a huge future.”

This is the first homicide in Manassas in 2007, police said. The last one was in December 2006.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Martinez-Zeron is asked to call the Manassas City Crime Solvers at 703-330-0330. Callers don’t have to give their name and could earn up to a $1,000 cash reward.

81. Greg L said on 16 Aug 2007 at 12:40 am:

Regardless of the immigration status of this poor victim, they should not have died. It is every bit as tragic that an immigrant of whatever legal status died as it would be if a native citizen suffered the same fate. We cannot tolerate the murder of anyone, especially if the murderer was not lawfully in this country in the first place. Had the Federal government done it’s job of protecting our borders, this crime would have been 100% preventable.

82. Lafayette said on 16 Aug 2007 at 1:07 am:

It looks like Channel 5, is going to be airing something on the murder in Manassas. This is a repeat of the 11 show. I didn’t catch it earlier, and I don’t recall seeing any posting on it.

83. Anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 1:07 am:

I agree 100%, but one illegal act breeds another.
    It looks like another illegal alien was attacked by a gang of most likely illegal aliens in Fairfax county and the one attacked is clinging to life:

The one in Manassas who killed the girl has been captured, they believe that others there might be involved. It smells of gang activity and if you read the MJM article the girl was fearing that things were not safe two weeks ago.

84. fed up said on 16 Aug 2007 at 7:58 am:

Here is a site for anyone who wants to see which american party is supporting the illegal alien cause and what connection with zapatistas already exists:

85. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 9:40 am:

This murder could have occurred anywhere in our area. The person who owns the house doesn’t want to give his name? Shame on the MJM for not publishing the homeowner’s name. Double shame on the homeowner for allowing this kind of behavior to go on for over 2 weeks on HIS property, if the MJM is to be believed.

I think this is the very point that contributors like Lafayette and Patty are trying to make, and correct. We need to know who our neighbors are. When these boarding house situations exist in our neighborhoods, we don’t know who belongs there and who doesn’t. (In my opinion, none of them belong there but that is another related issue) Lafayette and Patty relentlessly try to fix these problems in our community going through proper channels and keep running in to brick walls: our county authorities.

A bunch of young men out in the yard drinking and playing loud music should be a dead giveaway that something is going on that shouldn’t be. As a homeowner, you have a responsibility to take care of the problem. This clown knew enough to tell the JMJ that the girls had gone to New York. And yet, they STILL did nothing about these young thugs hanging out in the yard. The thugs also had access to the apartment it sounds like. I wish the homeowner could be charged with a crime also.

While I am on a rant, the grieving mother sounds like she should be getting the mother of the year award also. NOT! She and her husband live in NY while the teenage daughter is left in Guatamala with an abusive relative? Crocodile tears! The daughter gets sent off to live with her sister in Manassas? The roommate was described as a cousin. It sounds like the mother of this poor dead girl is totally irresponsible and long ago gave up her parental responsibilities in favor of her own hedonistic pleasures.

I will donate towards giving these POS’s a one way ticket back to their homeland.

86. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 9:41 am:

correction: JMJ = MJM

87. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 9:47 am:

Addendum: I do not want the murderer deported. I want him to be sentenced to death in a United States court. Then I want him executed in a timely fashion.

88. Lafayette said on 16 Aug 2007 at 10:05 am:

Does anyone know the exact address of the murder there are 5 houses on the 8600 block of Mahogany Ct?
    Note 4 out of 5 houses appear to be possible matches.

89. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 10:20 am:

Call the MJM or the cops and ask them. It should be public record, in my opinion. Violent crime scene.

90. Advocator said on 16 Aug 2007 at 10:32 am:

Dolph:

You commented that you wish the house owner could be prosecuted. If the victime or others living at that house were/are illegals, he could be, by the federal government, for harboring illegal aliens. It’s a federal felony, but not enforced, to my knowledge.

91. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 11:00 am:

Advocator,

What if the owner is illegal? Can he still be prosecuted for harboring illegal aliens? I guess that is one of those questions like: can a juvenile be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

I would like to see a little pressure put on MCPD to really put some major heat on the property owner. It sounds like the property owner was living on the premises but that is only an inference on my part. The property owner appears to have been totally irresponsible at best, criminal at worst.

92. citizenofmanassas said on 16 Aug 2007 at 11:59 am:

Dolph,

Wow, keep going. These types of cases are exactly what is needed to keep the public pressure on our elected officials to do something about illegal immigration.

93. Patty said on 16 Aug 2007 at 12:07 pm:

Looks like Manassas City Police and PWC Police arrested this jerk. Check Maureen’s link to Manassas City Police.

94. manassascityresident said on 16 Aug 2007 at 12:09 pm:

Why don’t we all take a trip to the MCPD and ask them all of these questions point blank. We need to take action!

95. anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 12:40 pm:

“MANASSAS CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT PRESS RELEASE
    8-15-07

This evening at approximately 9:30 PM, members of the Manassas City Police Department, along with members of the Prince William County / Manassas City / Manassas Park Narcotics Task Force, and Manassas Park Police arrested Jose David MARTINEZ-ZERON for the Homicide which occurred yesterday, August 14, 2007. MARTINEZ-ZERON was arrested on Mathis Avenue in the area of Hardees Drive and is being charged with Murder. The arrest was made without incident. MARTINEZ-ZERON is being processed and transported to the Prince William County Adult Detention Center where he will await a court date.”

Good grief, that is just blocks from the murder site. He didn’t run very far. Wonder if his bond will only be $2000 this time.
    Doesn’t Manassas participate in the 287 program? This seems like the time to utilize it.

96. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 4:28 pm:

Mohagany Court appears to be off Portner Avenue, in that nicer, newer townhouse community that is across Sudley Road from Deer Park Apartments, Old Annaburg Manor, etc. What is wrong with the neighbors and why didn’t someone didn’t call the police, even if the homeowners were there and didn’t call?

Thugs hanging out for about 2 weeks and playing loud music should have attracted someone’s attention in a townhouse community, unless the community really isn’t so nice any more.

97. FedupinManassas said on 16 Aug 2007 at 4:39 pm:

Mahagany Court is off Portner Avenue, it is in Point of Woods East development . And it is only a few blocks from where they arrested him on Mathis Avenue. The Point of Woods townhouses and houses have a huge overcrowding issue. I can’t believe he is cocky enough to stay within blocks of the murder. Then again he was just within reach of Manassas Park and they would have just gave him a warning!

98. Anonymous said on 16 Aug 2007 at 4:52 pm:

“Anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 1:07 am:
    I agree 100%, but one illegal act breeds another.”

By that rationale, women who are raped while wearing a skirt were asking for it. In that statement, you are dehumanizing the victim. Whether she was here legally or not, I can’t imagine she deserved to die. Comments like yours are the main reason why I haven’t joined HSM.

99. Anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 5:22 pm:

I have experience volunteering with rape crisis in the past, so keep your idiotic opinions that have nothing to do with this case to yourself anonymous 4:52 P.M. I never said anywhere that she deserved to die, but crime leads to more crime, that is a cold hard fact. The fact is if these illegal aliens were where they were supposed to be, this murder would never have happened.

100. Anonymous said on 16 Aug 2007 at 5:27 pm:

And I was raped… you want to one up this, go ahead.

101. Anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 5:51 pm:

My sister was raped about 15 years ago. This is not about rape (at least at this point) no matter what you want to read into it.

102. Just the Facts said on 16 Aug 2007 at 6:50 pm:

Don’t waste your time calling the MJM. The editorial staff is just a bunch of left-wing hacks who think they have a monopoly on the news in Manassas/PWC. They don’t care what we think.

Contact the parent company, Media General. Tell them what you think. Inform them that you are dropping the MJM in favor of contributing to a local blog with vastly superior reporting of the area’s news. Moreover, tell them that you will boycott MJM advertisers until the paper better reflects the community’s interests.

Media General is a publicly-traded corporation (symbol: MEG) that understands primarily the bottom line. They are much more likely to listen to us than the MJM’s local staff who starts their days with a drink of the illegal-alien advocates’ kool-aid. Moreover, MEG stock is trading at a near 52-week low so they don’t want any more bad news.

Media General’s contact information is:

Media General, Inc.
    333 East Franklin Street Richmond VA 23219
    Phone: (804) 649-6000
    Fax: (804) 649-6000

103. Anonymous said on 16 Aug 2007 at 7:06 pm:

No, this is about victimizing a victim, something with which I have more than a passing familiarity.

104. Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 8:48 pm:

When you are illegal, you are already flying under the radar. You do not report things that legal residents and citizens report. You do not do things that call attention to yourself within the legal community.

I think this is perhaps what Anon was suggesting about crime breeding crime. It wasn’t named the underworld for nothing. This kind of sub-culture just operates much differently than we are familiar with.

105. Anon said on 16 Aug 2007 at 9:56 pm:

Dolph said on 16 Aug 2007 at 8:48 pm:

Dolph gets it.

106. Anonymous said on 17 Aug 2007 at 5:50 am:

I am going to take the fact that I don’t “get it” as a good thing.

107. citizenofmanassas said on 17 Aug 2007 at 10:02 am:

I have to agree with dolph here.

108. Dolph said on 17 Aug 2007 at 10:54 am:

Anonymous,

I don’t know that it is a good or bad thing. I believe it means you have had very limited personal experience with the hispanic community in Prince William County.

Little story here: About a year ago, a very good friend’s son was working for a company who goes in and installs shower doors, bathroom hardware in newly contructed houses. They handled a lot of glass. The company also employed a lot of hispanic workers. One day, while on the job, one of the workers was doing something on a ladder, fell, and was seriously cut. Blood spurting everywhere. Life-threatening situation. While most people ran to help this guy and call 9-1-1, a small contingent of workers grabbed their ladder and ran off in the other direction yelling ‘No policia, no policia.’

Now, what conclusions can you draw?

109. Mike Austin said on 20 Aug 2007 at 9:56 am:

Some questions:
    Has anyone found the address?
    Has anyone found out who the home owner is?
    Were these sisters illegal aliens?
    Is the home owner here illegal?
    Were the partiers gang mebers?
    Is the deceased having a local funeral?
    Has there been any mention (other than here) that the perp was arrested previously?

Some comments:
    FYI: The perp was arrested without incident in the shopping strip on Mathis Av @ Hardees Dr just two blocks from the crime scene!

These people have no conscience, to have committed MURDER and just hung in the area for whatever comes next?????????

Just another example that shows they just do not think like us!

110. redawn said on 20 Aug 2007 at 11:38 am:

Mike, I found nothing more as of yet and I want to thank you for your article in the MJM opinions

111. Mike Austin said on 20 Aug 2007 at 4:22 pm:

What does the scene of a murder look like?

Today, I visited the 8600 block of Mahogany Court in Manassas City, the scene of last week’s murder, out of curiosity of just what the neighborhood would look like. I wondered if it would look like a place in which one would expect to have such a heinous crime committed as the cold blooded murder of a 19 year old girl.

To my surprise, I found it to be a somewhat attractive collection of town homes showing absolutely no indications of what awful event had occurred there just last week.
    There were two or three realtor for sale signs that appeared to have been there for awhile (no surprise for Manassas). There were tricycles on one porch, kids toys on another.
    As I watched, a realtor was showing one property to a Latino family, I wondered if they had any idea of what awful thing had taken place there just a few days before; the mother watched me suspiciously as she steered her children into the family van.
    The cars parked there were of a respectable collection; among them was a late model Tundra (one I can not afford) with a tag bracket that says “I LOVE EL SALVADOR”.

All in all, the small neighborhood looked better than my own Cavalry Run has come to.

I left Mahogany Court knowing that this street is just like most of the rest of our fine Manassas City, and in fact better than many streets I know. I guess this crime could have happened anywhere in Manassas!

What a great argument for a neighborhood watch! If only someone, anyone, had made a call during the days of loud music and partying crowds reported at the address of the MURDER!

(also sent to mjm) Mike

112. Power of One said on 24 Aug 2007 at 1:53 am:

8638 Mahogany Court is the address where the 19 year old female was murdered according to information on the fire company 501 website

113. Power of One said on 24 Aug 2007 at 11:10 am: