video production in Manassas and Prince William County

The Democrats Speak On Illegal Aliens

By Greg L | 30 August 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Virginia Politics | 25 Comments

Senator Roscoe Reynolds is about as good as any other Democratic Senator in Virginia to explain why the Democratic Party of Virginia seems so steadfastly opposed to taking any action at the state level to combat illegal immigration. While Republicans have a strong legislative agenda on this issue that clearly demonstrates that there are effective and legal measures the state can take to provide relief to Virginians, Roscoe is throwing up his hands and saying that there’s nothing that the Commonwealth can do.

Instead, they vote to allow illegal aliens to obtain in-state tuition rates at Virginia universities, and then conveniently forget why they voted that way.

Brian Moran couldn’t have explained this any better, I’m sure.

UPDATE: SWAC Girl has more on this.

UPDATE 2: See also Cathouse Chat for a very thorough analysis of this bill, and Roscoe’s voting record on other bills that concern illegal immigration.

1. The Patriot said on 30 Aug 2007 at 11:19 am:

Elvira is at it again. Our politicians better watch this closely!

2. The Patriot said on 30 Aug 2007 at 11:33 am:

Ted Nugent speaks out against illegal immigration! I would like Ted to be our Director of Homeland Security!

3. dolph said on 30 Aug 2007 at 11:46 am:

I am very confused about who is eligible for in-state tuition. I thought that TPS folks were now eligible if they had been residents for a year. I also thought TPS folks were legally in the country.

Help me out here.

4. Mike Austin said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:05 pm:

I posted this to another discussion earlier, but here you go again.

I wrote to Gov Kaine asking that he install a policy that designates Va State Police as a participant in the 287g program allowing them to act in communion with ICE. Here is his reply. What do YOU think?
    __________________________________________________________

Dear ……….,

Thank you for your letter concerning an issue of great importance to the Commonwealth. I have long opposed illegal immigration, and I believe that we must protect Virginians and taxpayer dollars from financial and public safety threats presented by illegal immigration. I believe that Virginia has taken appropriate steps to limit government services available to those in the country illegally and that we have an effective working relationship with the federal Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

The Commonwealth works closely with ICE on a range of matters and will continue to pursue future opportunities with ICE. While we have meaningful laws in place and a strong partnership with ICE, I do not believe it is in the best interest of the Commonwealth to take on unfunded federal responsibilities. ICE is concentrating its resources in Virginia on serious crimes committed by those illegally in the country. The Commonwealth will continue to support those efforts. As ICE expands its role and resources in Virginia , we will look to expand our existing level of cooperation to support that commitment.

As indicated, I am pleased that state agencies already work closely with ICE. I strongly encourage ICE to devote the resources necessary to maximize the value of that cooperation. I have already encouraged our agencies to continue to explore ways to expand the relationship with ICE at the operational level, with the goal of advancing state law enforcement goals and preventing serious crimes from being committed by those in the country illegally.

Among the agencies already working with ICE on matters of common concern are the Virginia State Police, the Department of Corrections and the Department of Motor Vehicles. These areas of cooperation represent a serious commitment on the part of the Commonwealth to address criminal activity by those who have entered the country illegally.

Again, I thank you for your input regarding this issue. I look forward to exploring more ways by which the Commonwealth can build on these successes.

Sincerely,

Timothy M. Kaine

Governor of Virginia

5. Batson D. Belfrey said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:16 pm:

Roscoe is some piece of…work. I haven’t seen “bobbing and weaving” like this since Ali/Frazier’s “Thrilla in Manila”.

This election cycle those who have voted against legislation to crack down on illegal aliens will have to defend the indefensible. Sure, the Dems in Alexandria and Arlington might be OK, but I predict some from more moderate/conservative areas (hear that Chuck?) will be receiving a wake-up call.

6. John Light said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:32 pm:

In-state tuition should ONLY be those who have declared Virginia to be their legal residence. The ONLY exception to that rule, in my opinion, would be Active Duty military. That being said, no, Dolph, that does not answer your question, but just my humble opinion. It’s disgusting that an illegal can get in-state tuition when others cannot. How hard is it if we KNOW they are here illegally, to just round them up and deport. This REALLY IS NOT rocket science Mr. and Mrs. Elected Official!!!

7. Dan said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:36 pm:

“explain why the Democratic Party of Virginia seems so steadfastly opposed ”

could it be their AFL-CIO masters ?

8. citizenofmanassas said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:39 pm:

Dolph,

Yes, those under TPS protection are eligible for in-state tuition. Are all under TPS protection legal? You guess is as good as mine.

9. anon said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:45 pm:

Although I can see why some might sympathic to those children who were dragged here illegally years ago and have attended school here, I still think that illegals should not receive in-state tuition.

It is especially unfair to legal citizens in North Carolina or Ohio, etc. who have to pay out of state rates for their kids. So now there is essentially a penalty for those parents who are legal and wish to send their child out of state. Talk about crazy!

If this stupid policy does pass in several states, perhaps I will denounce my entire family’s citizenship next year when the first of my 5 attend college. That way we’ll all be illegal and they can chose any school in any state at the new special in-state pricing for illegals.

10. citizenofmanassas said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:45 pm:

I have a question regarding the letter from Timmy. Is NCLBH an unfunded mandate from the Federal Government?

11. Herndon Bob said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:47 pm:

Politicians and judges just don’t get it. The “don’t ask don’t tell immigration policy” adopted many years ago by all levels of our own Government has led to the current backlash by citizens and legal immigrants all across the county. The public understands what is happening to their communities and what is causing it. They are frustrated with government’s inability to represent their personal and community standards. They are frustrated with governments who, by either design or ineptitude refuse to enforce immigration law. They are frustrated with courts that put the rights of illegal aliens over the rights of citizens. They are frustrated with the amount of money spent supporting people who have no right to be in this country. They are frustrated with a federal government implying that local and state governments accept unlimited illegal aliens for the sake of low wages and business profits.
    Public support of government diminishes with time as community after community is impacted with growing numbers of economic refugees lowering the standard of living for all. The consequences for our democratic form of government are at risk if it is not responsive to the expectations of its citizens.

12. Mando said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:06 pm:

Maybe I wasn’t paying attention, but I didn’t realize CAIR was invited to speak at the PWC HRC meeting. Isn’t CAIR on the list of groups know for supporting terrorists?

13. John Light said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:12 pm:

Mando, I think you might be referring to this http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/394 regarding CAIR and its terrorist associations.

14. John Light said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:19 pm:

Along the lines of “I’m not Fonda Jane”, here’s an idea I just had for a sign to hold whenever you are at a function that CAIR may be at…have it read, “I Don’t CAIR!!!”

15. citizenofmanassas said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:25 pm:

Anon 12:45,

It is becoming more common that children are crossing the border illegally without parents who are already here.

16. Mando said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:28 pm:

Thanks John!

Another off topic post, but this is what we’re up against:

“The AFL-CIO and ACLU yesterday sued to stop the Homeland Security Department from cracking down on illegal-alien workers, asking a federal judge to halt new checks on employees’ Social Security numbers because they could violate workers’ rights and lead companies to preemptively fire American workers.”

HAHAHAHA!!! That’s the best one I’ve heard all day! The AFL-CIO and ACLU worried about American workers!!! I almost spit my mouth full of water at the computer screen reading that one!

Here’s another good one. They filed the suit in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court in San Francisco… the illegal alien Mecca! LOL!!! Worried about American workers… puhlease…

17. dolph said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:33 pm:

TPS immigrants are legal, from everything I have read, from Greg, and from TH. They have documents to be in country and must renew every 18 months. They are just not permanent residents of the United States.

18. Not4Nothing said on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:37 pm:

A federal law passed in 1996 forbids states to offer in-state tuition to illegal aliens unless it also offers in-state tuition to legal citzens of all other states. Some states that have violated this FEDERAL law have been sued by out-of-state students. If VA offers such tuition to illegal immigrants, it would - under federal law - have to offer it to students from NY, NC, PA, etc. or risk being sued class action.

The difference between in-state tuition and out-of-state tuition in VA is thousands of dollars. This is why the proposed bill in VA to offer in-state tuition to illegal aliens went nowhere last session.

Keep this in mind when you read in the WaPo that VA colleges aren’t admitting illegal aliens. If they aren’t why was anybody proposing such a law??

19. Dave B. said on 30 Aug 2007 at 7:01 pm:

This loser will be given his walking papers later this year anyway. No worries.

20. Legal2 said on 30 Aug 2007 at 8:10 pm:

Sheeesh! Maybe citizens are having trouble proving their legal at the DMV because of identity theft!

I agree, Dave B, in a matter of months the Commonwealth will be saying, “Roscoe WHO?” He’s outta here.

21. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:26 am:

COM-

NCLB is one of the “semi-funded” Federal mandates. There are Dept. of Ed. grants attached to reaching NCLB performance metrics, but there is some question as to whether the funds are adequate.

22. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 9:51 am:

From the latest “Cuccinelli Compass”:

“Help Save Fairfax

As Loudoun and Prince William Counties continue to escalate their efforts to protect their communities from the effects of illegal immigration, Fairfax continues to lag. Fairfax is known as what is called a “sanctuary jurisdiction” for its unwillingness to even inquire of the legal status of criminals that it takes into custody.

To really ‘advance the ball’ in Fairfax, some folks are putting together a local chapter of Help Save Virginia. Help Save Virginia is the umbrella organization in Virginia advocating taking a tougher line against illegal immigration with the Commonwealth.

While there was an introductory meeting not too long ago, the immediate need is for a few individuals that are willing to step up and help lead the organization. Those of you that might consider stepping up are probably asking, “just what do you mean by ‘step up and help lead?’” And the answer is probably whatever you want to make of it, but nothing will happen unless a few of you step up to take on this challenge. I would urge those of you in Fairfax County to consider helping. If you have any interest, please email me at Ken4Sen@Cuccinelli.com and I will put you in touch with the people that have begun to form this organization.

Nothing will happen until a few people that are willing to help organize others step up to take some responsibility for this problem in Fairfax. Will you be one of those few?”

23. citizenofmanassas said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:39 am:

Turn Blue,

Thanks.

24. anon in PW said on 2 Sep 2007 at 12:43 pm:

Mr. Light
    You live in the Fairfax don’t you? You seem like a motivated young man. Why don’t you be HSF’s Greg L? Honestly, think you’d be great. After all you did post the “Cuccinelli Compass”, to help “andvance the ball”. Looks like you are already leading the way, so why not run with it?

25. John Light said on 3 Sep 2007 at 11:36 pm:

anon in PW - I would LOVE to, but alas, I am a single father who has all 3 kids living with me, the two younger ones are in travel soccer and every night is accounted for. While I would GLADLY do this, and actually DID give it serious thought, I have told Greg and Cooch that, at this time in my life, I cannot do it, but WILL continue to help on the sidelines.