The MJM Covers Rack N’ Roll’s Boycott Reaction

By Greg L | 30 August 2007 | Manassas Park | 29 Comments

Dave Ruttenberg has gotten himself out in front on the immigration debate in the MJM by deciding to draw customers who are members of Help Save Manassas while the immigrant community is conducting a boycott of his business as a result of a resolution passed in a completely different jurisdiction.  So far, few other business owners have taken a stand on this, but Ruttenberg isn’t pulling his punches, correctly calling the boycott a “bullying move”.  Darned right it is, and bravo to him for saying so.

It would have been nice if the MJM had pointed out that businesses in Manassas Park have nothing to do with legislation adopted in Prince William County, but for them to point out how irresponsible this is would be uncharacteristic of their typical pandering to the illegal alien crowd, which they seem to view as the demographic that might just lift them into profitability.  That important fact hasn’t made it into the media yet, and it’s hard to fathom why unless there’s some political agenda at work here.  Punishing Manassas Park businesses for what happens in the Prince William Board of County Supervisors is like burning down Boise, Idaho because some fringe group is upset about what the City of Manassas is doing.  Yes, I know it’s because they’re ignorant of the political jurisdictions in the area, but you’d think that folks trying to engage in the political process would bother to figure these things out.

Still, it’s nice to see two stories from BVBL show up with quotes from me in the MJM on the same day, the other being an article prompted by “Let’s Debate!” which appeared here.

1. Mike Austin said on 30 Aug 2007 at 2:24 am:

DAVE,
    Thanks for your support. Good luck.

2. G Man said on 30 Aug 2007 at 6:37 am:

If it not clear already then it should be by these two stories in MJM - they are now reading BVBL often (and likely some of the opposition voices posting too) and are taking their lead on stories for their paper using BVBL threads. However, knowing that more and more people are reading BVBL, MJM is trying to offset BVBL’s message by taking an opposing viewpoint. Way to go Greg!

3. redawn said on 30 Aug 2007 at 8:17 am:

Dave’s Rack & Roll is in the middle of alot of stores in that shopping center that have green signs. YOU GO DAVE!
    By the way I like Family Dollar, The Family Dollar in THAT
    shopping center has these big poles on their shopping carts and will not let you out of the store. No other Family Dollar that I have been too has BIG poles on their Tiny shopping carts.

4. John Light said on 30 Aug 2007 at 8:43 am:

Redawn - I was in a store once where if you attempted to take the cart outside the store, it stopped. It was HILARIOUS watching people who did not know about this technology pushing and chatting away and then going head over heels into their cart right at the front door!!!

When you go to Rack & Roll, please make sure to thank the staff, and Dave, for what he is doing. We should also be doing that to ALL businesses that will not cater to illegals. A little “thank you” goes a long way.

5. Patty said on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:25 am:

If anyone sees a shopping cart taken beyond the boundaries of the shopping center, that is a theft. Some of those carts can cost as much as $200.00 each. You need to let the store manager know and the police should be called.

We should all support businesses that did not participate in the green sign campaign. We should also permanently boycott those businesses that did put up those green signs.

By the way, even though MJM provides “entertainment” to some of you, I will not subscribe to that paper because I do not want to throw my pearls before swine.

6. redawn said on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:32 am:

John,
    Talk about hilarious. I was shopping with a friend at Bull Run shopping center and went to Shoppers Food. I was parked down by Petco or Petsmart ( can’t remember which) I had a cart full of groceries and was pushing them down the side walk and came to a SUDDEN stop. There was another cart in the same spot. So we transfered the groceries and that cart would not move. LOL, I couldn’t figure out what was going on. I thought, are we on candid camera or something? The employee from shoppers camed down to us and was laughing and told us about the electronic stop. Another person passing by pointed out the cut off line. They all were laughing WITH us.

I never thought I would see a shopping cart on Lomand Dr. ( a good distance from stores) Lafayette spoke to Giant Food about their carts ending up back in the hood and they don’t care. Boy, times have changed around here.

7. redawn said on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:34 am:

Patty,
    I heard the cost was $500. ( felony)? Can someone confirm?

8. anonymous said on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:44 am:

Felony theft (grand larceny) is anything over $200.

§ 18.2-95. Grand larceny defined; how punished.

Any person who (i) commits larceny from the person of another of money or other thing of value of $5 or more, (ii) commits simple larceny not from the person of another of goods and chattels of the value of $200 or more, or (iii) commits simple larceny not from the person of another of any firearm, regardless of the firearm’s value, shall be guilty of grand larceny, punishable by imprisonment in a state correctional facility for not less than one nor more than twenty years or, in the discretion of the jury or court trying the case without a jury, be confined in jail for a period not exceeding twelve months or fined not more than $2,500, either or both.

9. Mike said on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:52 am:

That is a great idea! Find out who has put up the green signs, list it here or a separate site and inform Americans living in Manassas of businesses that pander to illegals. Let’s see how much they like having those signs up. Of course, who here is shopping at the mercado anyways?

10. Dan said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:02 am:

“Felony theft (grand larceny) is anything over $200.”

If the law was a universal concern, we likely would not be writing these posts…

11. citizenofmanassas said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:12 am:

The Wellington Giant also has a huge problem with wandering carts.

12. Dave B. said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:33 am:

I agree. When this whole “boycott” is over I would like to have a compilation list of all companies WITH green signs and I will no longer do business there. If Guapos chicken has a green sign I will never go back in there and I love that place. I can’t in good faith support any business that puts illegals ahead of citizens.

13. G Man said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:34 am:

Folks, lets get back on topic. You are missing the significance of this. More and more of MJM’s stories are originating from BVBL. This is a tacit admission of the impact this blog is having in the area. It shows that a little competition can cause MJM to change what they are reporting. BVBL is getting the MJM (abeit kicking and screaming) to report on things, like the Woodbridge rape by the two aliens, and these two stories, that they likely would not have otherwise. While I don’t agree with what they are saying, at least now they are reporting it.

14. citizenofmanassas said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:40 am:

G Man,

Of course the MJM is paying attention. They realize just how much impact Greg and HSM has had, though they continue to bad mouth both Greg and HSM.

It can also be considered lazy journalism, instead of hitting the streets looking for stories, they just come over here to see what is going on in the community they claim to know.

15. redawn said on 30 Aug 2007 at 11:00 am:

David B.

Your in luck, Guapos does NOT have a green sign. We were THRILLED, they have some really good food! :)

16. Frustrated in Sudley Manor said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:28 pm:

While driving home the other day, I was so mad, watching a hispanic man pushing his groceries, or whatever, home in a K-Mart shopping cart! I slowed down to make it obvious I was looking at him, and then called the PWC police. I asked them what could be done, and isn’t that considered stealing? The lady on the other end said she wasn’t sure it would be considered stealing? You’ve got to be kidding me? Not stealing? The cart was out of their parking lot and traveling eastbound on Sudley Manor Dr. past Williamson Parkway, and that’s okay? The lady said she’s check it out and call me back. When she called, I found out it is a felony, and then I asked what steps can be taken next time it happens. She said I can call the police and give a description of the person and where they are heading, however, if the police don’t see it happen, they cannot prosicute. Then it’s up to me to get a citizen’s warrent ( I think she called it) and then I can take them to court. I doubt many people will take the time to do that. I’m just tired of seeing those carts in my neighborhood left on the sidewalks or in our streams! The police said to call K-Mart first to see how they would want to handle to begin with. I was disappointed with the police dept. lax attitude regarding the matter, but I guess they have more important things on their agenda than catching shopping cart thieves.

17. G Man said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:58 pm:

COM
    In this case I’ll take lazy journalism over no journalism - like really pounding the streets to find that lost dog story, found dog story, and man selling alligator stories that I’m sure will win a Pultizer for their investigative reporting. Yup, the next Burnstein and Woodward are right here working for MJM.

18. citizenofmanassas said on 30 Aug 2007 at 1:28 pm:

G Man,

No, I agree that it is better then nothing, I was just commenting on how they now use this blog for news leads rather then going out and getting the story first hand.

19. redawn said on 30 Aug 2007 at 2:09 pm:

Frustrated in Sudley Manor said on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:28 pm,
    I hear you! I would say lets keep calling and calling. Look at this way, it is a felony so, if it is an illegal stealing the cart……that will be 2 birds with one stone. I don’t care who it is, it has to stop!

20. Loudoun Insider said on 30 Aug 2007 at 6:32 pm:

I have no desire to go to Mannassas Park, but I support Dave Ruttenberg from afar!

21. Dave B. said on 30 Aug 2007 at 7:21 pm:

Don’t feel bad LI, if I didn’t live here I would have no desire to come to this sanctuary city either. I wonder what the steps would be to cut off federal funding to this town for being a sanctuary city? Maybe we should look into this for an upcoming HSM meeting? Maybe this would make Jones come to his senses and start working for his constituents instead of scamming for his next scheme. It’s very very sad when politicians become this far out of touch with their constituents’ desires.

22. Lafayette said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:03 pm:

redawn/JL/Frustrated in Sudley Manor
    Now, about those shopping carts. Here’s my most recent sighting. Yesterday, I see one of my neighbors walking down Lomond Drive, pushing the Giant shopping cart with her son riding in the cart. I couldn’t believe my eyes. My first question is what was she doing at Giant. You know when I go to that Giant I always express my extreme displeasure with their attitude on the carts. They say they can’t help it. I told them they sure could. They could do like their competitor Shoppers, and put the locks on them. I remind them of this each and every time I’m in there. This really is perplexing to me, because WestGate Giant just got new carts for the first time in forty years. I know this cost will be passed on to the shoppers of Giant.
    Redawn, that wasn’t my big sister that told you about the locks at Shoppers was it? I hate to cross 234, unless absolutely deemed necessary. So, Giant gets my biz. Not only are the local grocery stores being robbed of their carts, but their food on daily basis. My sister managed the Deli at that store, and she had to keep someone posted at the hot food buffet at all times to prevent theft. All the grocery stores have this same problem.

23. dolph said on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:47 pm:

I just hate seeing the damn things down in the neighborhoods. Slum effect and all.

24. Lafayette said on 30 Aug 2007 at 11:04 pm:

Dolph
    That’s right. I’ve noticed a couple in Sudley. In WestGate there’s a couple of DOZEN of them parked around!!
    BTW-Have you seen the used panelling that’s put up over at 16?
    I have pictures now. I couldn’t help but notice, there was no work being done today. However, one of the vessel sailed today. The Mr. wants to know was it the Santa Maria, Pinta or the Nina? Any ideas?

25. dolph said on 30 Aug 2007 at 11:18 pm:

lafayette,

That was the Godspeed, considering how fast it sailed. I wonder if it will discover new worlds?

Yes, I saw the used paneling. I saw the new ‘outhouse’ also…..errr…out building.

I think the county needs to be called on that house but I would have no idea where to even begin. It rivals those pics that redawn sent yesterday….the redneck pics.

26. Lafayette said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:58 am:

Dolph
    I’ve got some pictures that are internet worthy. We could put a great photo album for all the world to see.

27. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 1:55 am:

Frustrated in Sudley Manor : How about take a video with the cell phone? Then, follow the person to where they are going, right down the address, and provide all to the police??

28. dolph said on 31 Aug 2007 at 5:44 am:

Frusteated in Sudley Manor,

I wonder if Kmart would have had a different attitude if their cart were rolling a big plasma tv taken from their store, down the street. Stealing is stealing.

Perhaps we need an ordiance that fines stores for littering when these carts are found in our neighborhoods.

29. Legal2 said on 31 Aug 2007 at 7:55 am:

Yes - good idea! We need accountability in all facets to fix this thing.

Views: 2051