Blogger Happy Hour Reminder

By Greg L | 31 August 2007 | Blogs, Prince William County | 21 Comments

Sturday evening, Ben Tribbet of Not Larry Sabato and myself will be hosting a blogger happy hour in Prince William County in support of our business community, which also gives us the chance to poke Mexicanos Sin Fronteras in the eye a little bit with their irresponsible and ill-advised “boycott”, which by all accounts is failing anyways.  We can still help.  Come join us at Logan’s on Business 234 near Interstate 66 from 8-9 PM (and perhaps a little longer), support our local business community, and have some fun.

I’m hearing some elected officials and candidates from both sides of the aisle will be there.

1. Save Fairfax County said on 1 Sep 2007 at 12:07 pm:

Great way to spend Labor Day weekend and spend money in PWC.

2. redawn said on 1 Sep 2007 at 2:08 pm:

Please see below and I am sorry for my spelling errors, I was just very excited and wanted to share the news :)

redawn said on 1 Sep 2007 at 1:57 pm:

I just had a very neat experience. For all those “old schooler’s” of Prince William County that remember the Hirsch Farm and Kilnes Icream on Rt 28.(toward Nokesville) You need to listen up.

There is an Estate sale on Godwin on the right after Wellington Rd. Right before the radio station and before you get to George Mason.

This place is the Klines Farm. It is the LAST dairy farm in Manassas.

Iwas greeted by this very, kind gentleman by the Name of Roy (I think his last name is Parker) HE IS A WEALTH of history from the past.

There are also items for sale from the Hirsch Farm, INCLUDING “Granny’s egg basket”.

I plan to go back.
    Roy told me the history of the Hirsch’s and the Kilnes. It was a blast from the past, a walk down memory road.
    Please if you have time over the 3 day weekend, stop by. There are some BEAUTIFUL antique finds!
    After the visit is complete, why not get an icecream cone from Klines?

3. John Light said on 1 Sep 2007 at 3:29 pm:

Redawn - what a GREAT idea!!! What would be nice is for someone to sit down with him, “talk for a spell”, and ask permission to do a write-up and post it on BVBL. Don’t know if Roy would go for that or not (probably would) but a GREAT way to get a piece of PW history for the whole world to see.

4. redawn said on 1 Sep 2007 at 3:46 pm:

I would love it if Greg would! Roy, is a very, very nice gentleman and all willing to talk. He is a WEALTH of LOCAL HISTORY- I so enjoyed myself and hated to leave, but the kids were with me and….nature called.
    I do plan on going back! I want Granny’s egg basket :)

5. josh said on 1 Sep 2007 at 7:34 pm:

I was at Logan’s tonight, good food…never been there before. A bit of a drive from Lakeridge but it was nice to get out of the house and drive somewhere for a change.

Josh

6. Bwana said on 1 Sep 2007 at 9:04 pm:

BTW, the last name is “Hersch”.

Is the estate sale for the Kline Farm, or simply located there?

7. redawn said on 1 Sep 2007 at 9:47 pm:

Bwana,

Thank you and it is just located there but they have some items from Hersch farm.

8. redawn said on 1 Sep 2007 at 9:53 pm:

Bwana,

I needed to reply back to you and say honestly, I did not get that far( is it an Estate sale for Klines). As I stated earlier I was in a wonderful conversation and the kids were nagging and I had to leave in a hurry.
    I DO plan on going back tomorrow.

9. T-Bone Hound said on 1 Sep 2007 at 11:48 pm:

surprised this did not take place at the Rack N Roll where I was tonight. Seems the talk about supporting friends is just that.

10. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 12:10 am:

redawn
    I’m pleased to see your report on Klines farm. I’ve seen the Estate Sale sign, and yet I haven’t stopped. Well, after your review I will get by there tomorrow or Monday. I will let you know. Or give me a call we can go get “Granny’s egg basket”. Well, we both spoke of that very item too long ago. Piece of PW History for sure!! Missed you at Logan’s tonight.

11. Bwana said on 2 Sep 2007 at 8:17 am:

10-4

12. redawn said on 2 Sep 2007 at 1:54 pm:

Bwana, John Light, Lafayette,

I just got back from visiting Roy at the Old Klines farm.
    My mother and I were there and we talked for 2 hours.

It was A WONDERFUL experience.

The farm (LAST dairy farm of Manassas) is sold and now owned by the US Government.
    He has an arrangement with the government to rent the place out for a $1.00 a year and in return they would pay him a $1.00 a year to look after the place.
    He knows so MUCH history of Prince William County and knows alot about people that we even know.
    I told him that I put the word out and that many people may stop by and that someone needed to do an article on his knowledge and he IS WILLING. I would try to do it but writing is not my forte.( as I am sure you are aware..hah! hah!)

I BOUGHT GRANNY’S EGG BASKET! Roy and I even shed a tear when talking about granny Hersch- Mable. This is a MUST visit for all that would like to hear of the history and all those who remember the history of growing up in Manassas. 5 STAR rating.

Directions to the Estate sale.

It is on Godwin Dr headed towards Nokesville. Slow down after you pass Wellington Rd. There is a little sign that says Estate sale and a American Flag flying. It is right before you get to the old radio station and before you get to George Mason.

HAVE FUN :)

13. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 2:08 pm:

redawn
    Well, thanks for the invite. I’m going to go out there tomorrow. I will be sure to allow plenty of time for my visit. Well, writing’s not my forte either. However, I think I might be able to find some help. Let’s just wait and see.

14. redawn said on 2 Sep 2007 at 3:39 pm:

Layfayette,

WE really enjoyed the visit with Roy Parker. The only thing lacking was a nice cold pitcher of Country Time lemonade.

He is a family friend of the Klines and a distant relative to the Hersch family via his grandfather.

We talked about so much history. We talked about the Barretts, Millers, Merchants,etc. We did not talk about the breedens.

He remembered my old neighbor Mr.Jenkins who delivered milk for Thompson’s Dairy. ( he has since passed away)

We talked about Annaburg Manor and the history of that place and my mom remembered hearing about how the original owner invented air conditioning and said that was true.
    He told us about John Brown a former blacksmith in the area. I could go on and on.
    Someone needs to do an article of his knowledge and PRESERVE history of Manassas.
    People also need to know what The Hersch Family Fun Farm was to our community. They opened up their farm to the public. They would take donations for the heifer project which, Roy has told us is known as The Heifer Foundation and would give farm animals to the poor.

Layfayette - you will need time. He could go on and on and you will want to listen. It was just facinating.

15. redawn said on 2 Sep 2007 at 4:01 pm:

Here is a link to to The Heifer Foundation

16. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 6:55 pm:

redawn
    Well, you beat me to it. I was hoping to get out there before you, and buy the basket myself for you!! I hope you got a good deal, of course having a piece of our native PWC is PRICELESS.
    Way to go! I’ll be by soon to check it out. Will they be open tomorrow?

17. redawn said on 2 Sep 2007 at 8:01 pm:

Lafayette,

I luv u! :) You are a very kind and dear FRIEND of mine in deed!
    Thank you for that!

You are gonna flip to find out that I bought Granny’s basket for $125.00- I DID NOT get ripped off either- Come to find out a man from the Antique Roadshow has also viewed the basket and discovered that it is an original Shenandoah Valley basket over 100 yrs old and was amazed at the condition that it was in for the purpose of what is was used for. I don’t care how much the basket sold for- IT WAS TRUE HISTORY, PERSONAL HISTORY too!

My mother,husband and I talked about how wild it is that, it is the year 2007 and my LITTLE hands were on that basket many years ago and now it is back in my hands as the owner. Your hands, John Light’s hands? HOW MANY PEOPLE DO WE KNOW that have held that basket?!?
    I will cherish it forever, it is NOT up for resale. We would also buy eggs from the farm. I told mom, we ATE out of this basket!

I also purchased the picture of The Last Supper that was hanging in the barn with the small animals where she set up the donation jar for the Heifer project for my mother.

There are some BEAUTIFUL antique finds form the Kline, Hersch family and Roy Parker’s family, that are price very, very well- DON”T let the cost of the basket scare you ( or anyone) Check it out for yourself! MR. Roy Parker also gave us a printed story of his life, ( about 30 pages long) that I have not yet read but my mother has. He has some in print- be sure you get one on your way out. This man is a very special person.

YOU MUST GO! If you cannot make it out there tomorrow, call me and we will go together, I have to take my mother home and finish school shopping. WE ARE STILL talking about this experience :)

18. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 10:07 pm:

redawn
    Wow!!
    ALL
    Go to Channel 5 Now!! The rally is on

19. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 10:09 pm:

Never mind they will have full report at 11pm on Channel 5.

20. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 10:21 pm:

redawn
    Well, thank you for those very kind words. I will try to make it tomorrow. I have to get that school stuff too. We only needed some pencils, pens, and paper. Look at the list of stuff we have to buy for our kids.
    Oh, I sure wish I gone with you. Thanks, for memories!!

21. Lafayette said on 2 Sep 2007 at 10:29 pm:

corr: wish I’D gone with you. Thanks for THE memories!