Warner Expected To Announce Retirement

By Greg L | 31 August 2007 | Virginia Politics | 62 Comments

John Warner is going to announce his retirement tomorrow. I for one will have good reason to celebrate.

From his troublesome vacillating on the illegal alien issue, to his joining with Diane Feinstein and Chuck Schumer to rob citizens of their Second Amendment rights, to his recent commitment to American defeat in Iraq, John Warner has done his very best to contribute to the demise of our republic. Now the jockeying for position begins, with prominent Republicans and Democrats feverishly trying to position themselves for a run at this Senate seat, if John Warner does in fact announce his retirement. Jim Gilmore, Tom Davis, and Mark Warner are expected to contend for this seat, and there are plenty of others who might join the fray.

If Warner doesn’t retire, which no one really expects, many prominent Republicans are likely going to jump to the sidelines and defer to our Senior Senator. In that unlikely case, if none of those challengers who would be so eager to vie for an open seat are willing to step up to challenge John Warner for the Republican nomination, I’m pretty sure there is at least one potential candidate who will buck the system and take him on.

Soon, we’ll know for sure.

1. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 3:25 am:

John Warner is one of the few senators who knows the meaning of compromise and co-operation in search of what’s best for the country, but he’s old and deserves a break. I, for one, will miss him.

2. OnceVoice said on 31 Aug 2007 at 5:26 am:

Agree with you, Lovisa. One of the few that preferred outcome over polarization. His agenda was very clear and beneficial to us all.

I, too, will miss him.

3. Bryanna said on 31 Aug 2007 at 6:02 am:

I will not miss the liberal spending of my tax dollars in the Commonwealth. The solution to every problem has been to throw more money at it…that will fix it, over and over again.

Tax payers should demand an indepth audit of how our transportation funds are being spent in Richmond, including personal expense accounts being made public for all government employees.

A $275 dollar bottle of wine at my expense, no way. It’s time for change.

4. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:19 am:

Ari Stotle–

John Warner doesn’t tell the Commonwealth how to spend its transportation funds. He’s a US Senator, not a state senator. He doesn’t draw a check from the state. He doesn’t have a state expense account. So, what the hell are you talking about?

5. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:22 am:

Lovisa and OnceVoice:

Glad to see there are those that appreciate the contributions, accomplishments, and career of one of the Senate’s elder statesmen. Mr. Warner understood that the Senate is a deliberative, not combative body. He understood that sometimes compromise leads to progress while blind adherence to dogma leads to division and inaction.

Greg L, you do Mr. Warner’s record of exemplary service to his nation and the commonwealth a distinct disservice when you state “John Warner has done his very best to contribute to the demise of our republic.” Such hyperbole is out of place.

6. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:44 am:

Not sure I like his grades!

7. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:46 am:

Now based on these grades, we can clearly see why the illegal immigration problem has gotten worse since 1986.

8. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:59 am:

This “accidential senator”, as he is known in Conservative circles, never really was a solid Republican. He got money down in Va Beach so people loved him down there, and he was married to Elizabeth Taylor, so NOVA loved him up here.

President Reagan’s 11th Commandment was broken by Warner when he chose an opponent to run as an Independed against Rob and North. Did he not think for a second that Col. North would be voting Republican more often that Senator Rob?

About the ONLY thing Warner did that was right was the Atoka Country supper, other than that, as The Patriot pointed out, his grades as a senator leave one in doubt. To say that he is distinguished is like saying that former Klansman Byrd from WVa is “the conscience of the Senate.” This stepping down by Warner could not have happend soon enough.

9. Batson D. Belfrey said on 31 Aug 2007 at 9:32 am:

I will mark John Warner’s retirement with mixed emotions. When I look at his entire Senate career (as one should) there is a lot to be admired. However, many of his positions over the last 6-10 years had me scratching my head. His positions on protecting the 2nd Ammendment, Illegal Immigration, Campaign Finance (ie. incumbent protection), and a few others had me livid at times. Some call him a “statesman”. I would apply that term to the first 75% of his career, but he really lost the bubble during the last 25%. Sort of reminds me of Barry Goldwater. I think if Warner hadn’t gone off the reservation so many times, Senate Republicans might have gotten more done. I think he showed a respect to the opposition party, that was not returned by Democrats.

10. anon said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:03 am:

Not at all surprising to see that Lovisa, OneVoice and TurnPWBlue are fans of John Warner….

11. Jonathan Mark said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:09 am:

The rumor I hear is that Tom Davis will now give up his House seat to run for the Senate, and Corey Stewart will run for the House in Davis’s old district.

Does anyone know how reliable this rumor is?

12. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:50 am:

Another feather in Sen. Warner’s cap: in 1994 he called Senate condidate Oliver North “unfit” for public office because of his role in the Iran-contra scandal. He also riled the GOP right wing by oposng its 1993 nominee for lieutenant governor, Michael Farris - BTW “anon”, what’s your 10:03 am comment supposed to mean anyway? - Sure hope we don’t get James Gillmore back! In any kind of office!

13. Harry said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:54 am:

this will be great for the Ds, Mark Warner kicks Tom Davis’ butt and Jerry Connally wins Davis’ seat, looks like a pick up in the Senate as well as the House.

14. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:56 am:

Tom Davis does not have good grades either!

15. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:11 am:

Patriot shows his narrowmindedness by focusing only on Sen. Warner’s immigration record, especially as rated by an anti-immigration group. Seems to blame him for illegal immigration
    problem having worsened since 1986. - Being a Senator means taking part in and vote on many and various subjects. Try to cast a wider net, Patriot!

16. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:33 am:

Hey, Anon, not actually a big fan of Warner. There are a number of issues where I would see he leans too far to the right (just as you all are pointing our where he has strayed a little to the left). While I may not like everything he’s ever done (and I’ve never voted for him), I do respect the service he has given to his nation and the Commonwealth and find fault with placing the “downfall of the republic” at his feet.

17. monticup said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:35 am:

Senator Warner is a shallow, money-marrying gigolo much like John Kerry. He has no core beliefs. He just likes the sound of his voice, his mane of hair and the IDEA of playing a Senator. Good riddance to a worthless RINO who seems to be losing his faculties. Not that anyone ever said he was sharp.

18. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:36 am:

Yes Lovisa…I am being “narrow” focused. Why? Because it IS THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE that has a trickle effect on everything else!

19. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:42 am:

Lovisa…just for your “education”…if we clean up illegal immigration:
    1. Our taxes could be lowered (because we wouldn’t have to pay for education, medical, foodstamps, welfare, etc.).
    2. Quality of service goes up (particularly in the ER) by not having to wait 10 hours for something that should take 1 hour because undocumented (illegal) people are using them for routine healthcare.
    3. Crime caused by illegal aliens gets eliminated.
    4. Neighborhoods will be cleaner. Transient people tend to throw trash around because they know they are not permanent residents.
    There is plenty more, but you should get the point.

20. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:43 am:

John Light’s snide remarks about Sen. Warner are below low!
    Warner realized that North, even though a republican, was not worthy of becoming a senator. I shudder at the thought!

21. monticup said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:44 am:

Lovisa- I know you must be a very intelligent individual but please, stop with the lefty-sounding platitudes. Are you saying because Warner is old he is allowed to behave like a doddering, drooling milquetoast? When economist Milton Friedman was 90 he was more alert than loser Warner.

22. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:44 am:

Lovisa, instead of stirring the pot here (which you clearly enjoy doing), why don’t you join the NCLR? After all, you seem to agree with their viewpoints.

23. monticup said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:48 am:

Lovisa: Here’s an analogy that might help you understand the cancer of illegal immigration. Throw a pebble into a pond. Those are the illegal aliens. Watch the ripples that emanate from it. That’s the effect of the illegal aliens. Why don’t you adopt some illegals if you care so much for them.

24. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:08 pm:

Patriot - Tell me about NCLR, please. Have never seen those initials before (NuClear Leftleaning Republicans?).

25. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:12 pm:

Lovisa, I am sure you know who NCLR is (particularly in the context of illegal immigration).

26. Big Dog said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:15 pm:

John Warner is an honorable decent man who has
    served his country and Virginia with intelligence, courage
    and dignity for decades - he deserves better than
    snarky ungrateful comments as he retires.

27. The Patriot said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:17 pm:

Actually, Big Dog, his report card says otherwise! Lovisa, please sign this petition: http://www.birthrightpetition.com/?p=5
    Also, sign the one for the Governor!

28. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:17 pm:

monticup - Sen. Warner is neither doddering nor drooling. As for milquetoast - it takes guts to stand up for what one believes in, even if it goes against one’s own party. The party isn’t always right, you know. - I hope he doesn’t run again, because I sure as h-ll don’t want to see this man deteriorate in office like Strom Thurmond did and as Byrd of VW is now doing. And I believe he’s realizing this.

29. a nonny mouse said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:24 pm:

“I sure as h-ll don’t want to see this man deteriorate in office ”

You may be too late.

30. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:30 pm:

Lovisa: I am sure you morn the passing of The Weekly World News and you MUST get your news from The Onion. Otherwise you would not be wrong on sooo many issues.

Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:43 am:
    John Light’s snide remarks about Sen. Warner are below low!

Yeah, I guess you WOULD shudder at the thought of a hero becoming Senator. A U.S. Naval Academy graduate with 22 years service as a U.S. Marine, his valor in combat earned him the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and two Purple Hearts. Assigned to the National Security Council staff in the Reagan administration, he helped plan the rescue of 804 medical students on the island of Grenada, played a major role in the daring capture of the hijackers of the cruise ship Achille Lauro, and helped plan the U.S. raid on Muammar Qaddafi’s terrorist bases in Libya.

You probably don’t even know that Warner was NOT EVEN the Republican nominee for Senate back when he first ran. NOTHING I said was snide, only factual, as always. If you would like to be schooled, the teacher is here and class IS in session.

31. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:32 pm:

Patriot - seriously, I DO NOT KNOW what NCLR stands for, but I’ll give it another try: Natives Cling to Living Room, or Nativeborn Cuties Love Rompers. Lots of possibilities there.
    And I’m not going to sign the petition, because I believe that children born in the USA are US citizens!

32. monticup said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:37 pm:

Lovisa, BigDog: There is nothing honorable about a wealth-marrying empty suit. Just because Warner doesn’t frequent mens rooms at airports does not mean he is worthy of our respect. How low is your bar? Warner’s way past his expiration date and I have yet to hear the man utter an intelligent, insightful comment. He’s old style GOP–go along to get along. We don’t need him. Warner does not stand up for what he believes in–he believes in nothing. Except his image as a Virginia gentleman senator.

33. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:38 pm:

John Light - I’m learning more and more. I don’t know what NCLR stands for and I’ve never heard of The Onion. I’ll look it up though. Is it something like the shortlived Herndon Compass, but on the other end?

34. monticup said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:38 pm:

Lovisa: Please stop playing stupid. Your “jokes” fall flat.

35. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:51 pm:

“…and as Byrd of VW is now doing.” Umm, shouldn’t that read “…and as Byrd has been doing for decades”??? Also, it’s WVa, not VW - West Virginia is a state that illegally succeeded from Virginia, VW is a car that if not for Adolph Hitler might not be around (oh wait, that is another piece of fact and I forget you don’t like facts!!!).

36. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:52 pm:

Monti: who said that Lovisa is “playing”. Lovisa is probably better named Novisa, if you get my meaning.

37. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:55 pm:

Lovisa-

NCLR = National Council of La Raza which describes itself as “the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States.”

NCLR has, historically, sided with “pro-amnesty” and other such immigration reform movements. When “The Patriot” runs into a view counter to his own in these comments, he is quick to paint the contrarian as either a “left-wing nut” or suggest that they join NCLR.

In 2006, Rep. Charlie Norwood (R-Ga) made some claims (repudiated by NCLR on a point-by-point basis at http://www.nclr.org/content/viewpoints/detail/42500/) about NCLR that seem to fuel the idea that they are group devoted to supporting only the Latino community and to returning part of the US to Mexico.

38. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Aug 2007 at 1:00 pm:

John Light:

You forgot the part about Oliver North being convicted on three felony counts (later overturned on a “technical” point with the help of those leftists at the ACLU–in essence, he broke the law but couldn’t be convicted because much of the damning evidence came from testimony given under immunity before Congress).

39. Mando said on 31 Aug 2007 at 1:41 pm:

I have 20 pesos on him NOT stepping down.

40. manassascityresident said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:01 pm:

Warner is getting ready to announce his intentions any minute on FOX News cable. Standing by….
    Get ready to pop the bottle!

41. dolph said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:04 pm:

There is something to be said for being a Virginia gentleman senator. John Warner is well respected nationally and has served both the state and the nation with dignity. I don’t always agree with the gentleman but I do respect him.

I am rather disappointed to see the lack of respect shown to older Americans. This blog is no exception.

42. dolph said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:09 pm:

Perhaps Mark Warner will take his place. Think of the tax dollars that will be saved, not having to change the name on the door.

43. manassascityresident said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:11 pm:

good one, Dolph!

44. John Light said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:13 pm:

LMAO at dolph - good one.

Turn PW Blue, yeah, I guess the Constitution IS a “technicality” isn’t it.

John Warner stepped down - it’s official.

45. Mando said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:13 pm:

damn… I owe someone 20 pesos

46. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:20 pm:

monticup - I don’t have to play stupid. I AM stupid. Can’t you tell by my comments? - Turn PW Blue - Thank you for finally telling me about NCLR. If the word La Raza had been used, i would have known. I’m a steadfast supporter of the United Farmworkers, ever since I met and listened to Ceasar Chavez back in the dark ages. - Ollie North admirers: have you forgotten the infamous shredding party at the National Security something, when Fawn Hall (remember her?) walked out of the office with secret papers stuffed her boots. Asked why she had done it, she said: “You do what you have to do”. My guess is, that if Ollie hadn’t worn his uniform during the hearings the outcome would have been different. He’s no hero, but he had beautiful blue eyes! True blue! - And John Light; I do know that West Virginia is WV, and I know the VW is a Volkswagen and the V is pronounced “f” in German. - How on earth did we get from John Warner to Adolf Hitler? This is getting too complicated. Let’s get back to the straight and, especially, the narrow.

47. dolph said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:29 pm:

If I must make a comment about Ollie North….he does do a great job with War Stories on Sunday. I think he has found his niche.

48. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:43 pm:

dolph, I’m learning more with each comment. Where can I find War Stories? I’m very interested, and I’m sure Ollie does a great job. He’s easy to look at and has a good voice, seriously. - Does he still manufacture bulletproof vests, BTW? If he does, he ought to be rolling in money considering the Iraq was.

49. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 2:59 pm:

Congratulations to John Warner for his wise decision! Hope the next senator is the Democratic Warner!

50. a nonny mouse said on 31 Aug 2007 at 3:01 pm:

War Stories is on Fox news, as I recall.

51. Bryanna said on 31 Aug 2007 at 3:51 pm:

The next Senator will be Mark Warner!

52. BT said on 31 Aug 2007 at 4:06 pm:

Davis, Gilmore probably both interested in Warner’s seat. Allen likely wants to be gov again. Davis is definitely a moderate which will have greater appeal in N. Va. Gilmore is a solid conservative.

53. manassascityresident said on 31 Aug 2007 at 4:45 pm:

War Stories - Fox News Cable Channel 32 - Sunday evenings….

54. manassascityresident said on 31 Aug 2007 at 4:45 pm:

No to Mark Warner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55. Fairfax Resident said on 31 Aug 2007 at 5:07 pm:

John Warner joined the Navy to fight in WWII. He left the Navy at the end of the war. When the Korean War started he joined the Marine Corps.

You can’t fault his personal patriotism.

However, he has been a disappointment as a US Senator.

He doesn’t seem to stand for anything.

More importantly, he is an incumbent politician at a time when politicians (of all types) have proven themselves to be grossly incompetent and culpably negligent in running the country.

Good bye and good riddance to Sen. Warner and all other incumbent politicians.

It is time to clean house and we need to use a shovel, not a broom.

56. G.Stone said on 31 Aug 2007 at 5:27 pm:

Someone pin a note to his sweater and send him to the dog track

57. CONVA said on 31 Aug 2007 at 5:43 pm:

John Warner is the typical Rockfeller Republican, weak and stands for little of anything. Tom Davis is a notch below Warner and more of a typical RINO. Look for the socialists to take both seats next year. The Republican party has become something akin to the KOPKO KOPS in PWC.

58. Lovisa said on 31 Aug 2007 at 8:33 pm:

My god, G. Stone, that was the most porcine, dirty, lowdown statement I’ve seen, even among your pals. “Doddering, drooling” was only 1/4 notch about it. How can you wallow in such dirt and feel good about yourself? So when you’re too old to do your job , I’d say: “someone pin a note to his sweather and send him to footballer Vick’s dog farm” PDQ!

59. dolph said on 31 Aug 2007 at 10:09 pm:

Lovisa,

I thought that Republicans, with their penchant towards traditional values, would show more respect for senior citizens. Do we not judge the civility of a culture by how it treats its elderly?

Lovisa, you and I might not agree on everything but my hat is off to you for your spunk and vivaciousness! You sure have my respect.

60. monticup said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:21 pm:

I said Milton Friedman stayed sharp until the day he died. Warner was doddering before he was a senior citizen. He will not be missed.

61. Anonymous said on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:38 pm:

Mark Warner won’t run.

Want to know the *real* reason why?

Ask Howard Wolfson.