Fun With A Colgan Campaign Volunteer

By Greg L | 28 September 2007 | 29th VA Senate | 45 Comments

I just love it when a campaign volunteer knocks on my door.  It’s even better than having a Jeanette Rishell phonebanking call and answer “absolutely not” when they ask whether Jeanette can count on my support.

Just a moment ago, a volunteer for Senator Chuck Colgan knocked on my door looking for my wife while we were cleaning up after dinner, and wanted to talk to her about Chuck’s campaign.  I was happy to talk to him and ask him a few questions about Chuck Colgan.  I wish I could have videotaped it, as it was pretty classic.

I asked what Chuck Colgan’s position was on illegal aliens, and got the standard response about enforcing the laws we already have and cracking down on employers.  I asked him whether Chuck Colgan would call on Governor Kaine to enroll the state police and corrections department in the Section 287(g) Program, which would allow illegal aliens to be deported after they’ve completed their sentences rather than be let back into our community.  He didn’t even know what that was.  I asked him about Chuck Colgan’s previous vote to allow illegal aliens to obtain in-state tuition rates in state universities, and he didn’t know about that, either.  This guy, while very nice, didn’t seem to know about a whole lot that I was interested in.

He then handed me a flier about Colgan, and I went through it with him.  There’s stuff about day care centers.  There’s stuff about making stalking a crime.  There’s stuff on there about the 234 bypass, education spending increases and battered wives.  But there’s not a single word about illegal aliens.  Not one.  I laid into this guy about this, and he admitted that he’s been hearing a lot about this in the community and in his opinion, it was probably the number one issue in this area.

Well, duh.

He said he’d take what he’s learned back to the Colgan campaign and let them know what’s actually going on here.  That’s awfully nice.  With the election 38 days away, Chuck Colgan is going to finally figure out what his constituents care about?  Where the heck has he been all these years while he’s been utterly ineffective on this issue?  Even though he used to live in this precinct, he sure seems to have a bit of a disconnect with what the voters are concerned about.
Someday these campaigns are going to figure out what’s going on in these neighborhoods, and whose doors are better left un-knocked.  I’m stunned that Colgan’s people would send a poorly trained volunteer to knock on my door so he could be subjected to my questioning.  Don’t they know this neighborhood at all?

Thankfully, I’d already eaten dinner, and wasn’t that hungry.

1. anon said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:10 pm:

Odd since his (Colgan’s) son is in charge of the PWCPD 287(g) program.

2. Clean it up in '07 said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:30 pm:

Give the kid a break. Do you know how hard it is to get a volunteer to go and do ANYTHING on a campaign anymore?

3. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:35 pm:

Greg - “I laid in to this guy….” Beautiful! Hope it tasted as good as the dessert you just ate.

4. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:38 pm:

We all get our jollies in different ways.

5. Anonymous said on 28 Sep 2007 at 7:22 pm:

Colgan is probably the most unresponsive politician I have ever encountered. His apathy towards his constituents is legendary. I have first hand experience, having had him blow off two meetings with me in his office without so much as a phone call. Unforgivable. I have voted for him before, but I won’t make that mistake this year.

6. OMG said on 28 Sep 2007 at 7:34 pm:

Same goes for me, Anonymous. I always supported Chuck,
    but no more!

7. Anonymous said on 28 Sep 2007 at 7:54 pm:

“Where the heck has he been all these years while he’s been utterly ineffective on this issue?”

Greg, clearly you don’t read the newspapers…

Don’t worry though, if the DPVA paid canvassers are already going door to door than the DPVA consultants who spun lies about Jackson Miller won’t be long behind to spin Colgan’s failure to address illegal immigration into something else.

8. Anonymous said on 28 Sep 2007 at 9:18 pm:

DPVA does not pay its canvassers.

9. James Young said on 28 Sep 2007 at 9:26 pm:

Anon is certainly correct about Colgan’s unresponsiveness. Few years back, he sent out (or published in the Pot. News) a survey, promising to publish the results. I filled it out, sent it in, and waited.

I can understand not publishing the results, but not doing so after publicly PROMISING to do so is just sloppy.

10. redawn said on 28 Sep 2007 at 9:46 pm:

I hate to say it, what? I grew up with his son, when they lived in THIS very neighborhood….disconnect….Timmy, are you out there?(Pink Floyd in the background) or the other? THEY need NOT forget where they grew up.That is sad.

11. redawn said on 28 Sep 2007 at 9:53 pm:

Correction, that would be -Timmy, can you hear me, see me ( The Who, there is no hope and dope and non was used in the making of this mistake)

12. Mike said on 28 Sep 2007 at 10:43 pm:

The beautiful thing is that you took up all his time at your house thus not allowing him to hit more homes. If I can engage them for two hours, mission accomplished.

13. Roger Snyder said on 28 Sep 2007 at 10:43 pm:

Greg……Thanks for sharing how you played with your “after dinner treat.”…an innocent Chuck Colgan volunteer. Chuck’s “utterly inefectiveness” on illegal immigration (your words) has been “marred” by his 1977 vote (HB 1857) that made hiring or retaining an illegal immigrant….well.. ILLEGAL…and a 2007 budget amendment to give $500,000 to Manassas for ICE training. It failed but not because of him. Oh yes, he actually did vote IN FAVOR of Sen. O’Brien’s 2003 bill (SB 1058) that denied VA driver’s licenses to illegal aliens.

Simply and succintly put, Chuck Colgan was, has been, and continues to be a wonderful example of a Virginia Gentleman, a family man with pro-life family values, and a public servant who is widely appreciated as a statesman/leader rather than a run-of-the- mill politican of today.

THANK GOD !

14. Anonymous said on 28 Sep 2007 at 10:54 pm:

HOT DAMN! Chuck voted right back in 1977! Well now I’m all turned around on the matter, who cares about his vote to provide in-state tutiion to illegals or his sponsoring of ZERO bills on the subject in the past 32 years.

I’m glad Chuck was on the ball at one point in 1977 though! Come on Roger, Chuck is a fine gentleman but he ain’t an opponent of illegal immigration. Chuck could count on me to vote for him in any homecomming king contest nine more times, but not for state senator once more.

15. Roger Snyder said on 28 Sep 2007 at 11:08 pm:

There are lot’s of “Anonymous” posting here. Are they all members of the “Smith” family?

16. Bill Scott said on 28 Sep 2007 at 11:28 pm:

Roger, I think a lot of people post anon because that is the default. You should be happy though, that is where your employer’s support is coming from.

17. Roger Snyder said on 29 Sep 2007 at 12:31 am:

Thank’s Bill….

18. Anonymous said on 29 Sep 2007 at 3:23 am:

You’re a real tough guy, Greg. Having fun at a kid volunteer’s expense and then being so self-absorbed you need to blog on it. Real class act you are and nice values you’re teaching your kids. Hope they enjoy it as much when someone does this to them.

19. Krutis said on 29 Sep 2007 at 4:26 am:

Greg and Mike - there’s a meanness in you that makes me cringe. A young person is politically active, which I suppose we should all cheer, and because he doesn’t know all the answers, you take pleasure in “laying in to him”. That’s like a small child plucking wings off an insect. Taking pleasure in hurting someone else; A phychological flaw of some kind, IMO.

20. Legal2 said on 29 Sep 2007 at 7:17 am:

Kru, the problem is not the young person who is politically active; the problem is the OLD person who is still running.

21. freedom said on 29 Sep 2007 at 7:42 am:

Jimmy (Young) it is surprising to me that you can find “sloppiness” offensive in the case of Chuck Colgan but repeatedly excuse the sloppiness of young Faisal Gill.

Come on now, where is your consistency?

22. Anonymous said on 29 Sep 2007 at 9:14 am:

Yes, how awful — Chuck Colgan, concerned about transportation, education, fiscal responsiblity, and public safety. He’s done more in a week than Frederick-Marshall-Lingamfelter-Miller-McQuigg, as members of the majority party, have done in a decade. Add Fitzimmonds to that group and PWC/Manassas will be pretty much a joke circus in Richmond when it comes to quality representation. We want and need representatives who actually deal with real problems. And, to the degree immigration is a problem, Chuck will work on solving it — not just being obsessed with it. The two are not the same thing. And, I’m sure the volunteer does just fine with normal people, a group that does not encompass BVBL.

23. Legal2 said on 29 Sep 2007 at 10:02 am:

colgan is a tax and spend dem who should know when to retire

24. Anonymous said on 29 Sep 2007 at 11:03 am:

Clean it up in ‘07 said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:30 pm:

Maybe his campaign volunteers can be filled by illegals since they “do the jobs Americans won’t do.”

25. Krutis said on 29 Sep 2007 at 11:23 am:

Legal2 - the OLD person wasn’t the one Greg was talking with!

26. The Patriot said on 29 Sep 2007 at 11:43 am:

Bottom-line…..you better know a candidate’s information if you are going to go door to door volunteering for that candidate (afterall, you are speaking on behalf of that candidate)! Furthermore, talk is cheap! Anyone can say that they want to solve the illegal immigration problem. However, action speaks volumes! We should NOT elect anyone who has NOT demonstrated a consistent message and dedicated willingness to solve our number one issue….ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!

27. Patty said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:46 pm:

There is a simple solution. Vote for Bob Fitzsimmonds. I am. He really is listening to the constituents. He went to the BOCS meeting. He supports 287g. He did live in West Gate. He fully understands the problems we are having. He cares about this neighborhood. He is listening to us.

28. Advocator said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:07 pm:

Greg:

Don’t shut me down again the next time I “lay into” Frank Wolfe for the same reasons you felt justified in “laying into ” Colgan’s proxy. Wolfe is a lot more responsible for the situation we are in than Colgan is, although there’s enough blame to go around.

29. AWCheney said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:19 pm:

Patriot, you are wrong! Whether they know the information or not (many door-to-door volunteers will have talking point sheets), they are specifically told NOT to answer questions on the issues not addressed in the talking points, but to make note of them so that the campaign and/or candidate can contact that voter with answers directly (horse’s mouth, so to speak). The reason for this is very simple…human nature. It is not a natural element of human nature to admit you don’t know something or are wrong so, when cornered, many will make something up if they don’t know the answer, or simply guess. Also, issues are not simplistic matters and a volunteer could easily get the candidate in trouble by offering a simplistic answer to a complex question. It’s not rational to send volunteers out as spokesmen for the campaign, which in effect they would be if they were answering questions on behalf of the candidate.

Greg, you are dead wrong on this one. Think about the first time you knocked on a door on behalf of a candidate and say you had encountered that kind of reception…then also deduct the difference in age between you and that young volunteer…how would you feel, and would you still be doing it? Do you really believe that what you did was right?

30. AWCheney said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:34 pm:

Advocator, that is sheer unadulterated BS! Do actual research for a change and check out Wolf’s record yourself. I have, and I’ve contacted Frank’s office and got a response…it’s really easy. I just wish that Greg would go ahead and run the copy of that letter I emailed him and put this to rest! If you REALLY cared about the illegal alien issue, you’d be more interested in making sure that Judy Feder goes down and that Frank get’s re-elected…but that’s not the Democratic agenda is it?

31. Advocator said on 30 Sep 2007 at 1:05 am:

AWC:

The results of Wolf’s sorry-*ss record are on the streets of Manassas and Woodbridge, in the vicinity of 7-11’s, and east-bound I-66 from 6-9 AM. Places he hasn’t been for years. Did you know this lying sack of dog doo-doo originally ran on a platform calling for term limits? I’ll admit he cuts quite a swath with the blue-haired crowd, but I’m writing in a vote for Chuck Wagon.

32. The Patriot said on 30 Sep 2007 at 1:10 pm:

AWC, I disagree with you! If you send a rep on your behalf…that rep better know the product/company line you are selling! That’s right….you better have reps that know your product and everything about it. If they don’t…that is a bad reflection on you as the owner of the product!

33. The Patriot said on 30 Sep 2007 at 1:12 pm:

Furthermore, by saying that information is withheld because it is too complicated is nonsense! That is an excuse people make who are non-committal! If you stand by what you say, you will say it! Why? Because you know that you will be accountable for it and will take action!

34. The Patriot said on 30 Sep 2007 at 1:14 pm:

This is an accountability statement made by Tom Tancredo:
    “Illegal aliens threaten our economy and undermine our culture. While our brave soldiers risk their lives to protect us overseas, our political elites lack the courage to defend us at home. I am 100% opposed to amnesty. As President, I will secure our borders so illegal aliens do not come, and I will eliminate benefits and job prospects so they do not stay.”

As you can see, these are measurable statements and Tom put them in writing!

35. AWCheney said on 30 Sep 2007 at 1:38 pm:

Patriot, I speak from the perspective of someone who has managed campaigns at one time or another. ADVOCACY DOOR-TO-DOOR is done by the candidate, or senior campaign staff (pros) with their a**es on the line, not the volunteers! That’s a very basic precept…and only good common sense. Unless you’ve run a campaign yourself, or had training in campaign management, your strong statements are no more than an uneducated opinion on the subject. I can respect you offering anything as an opinion…but not offering it as disinformation masquerading as fact.

36. AWCheney said on 30 Sep 2007 at 1:46 pm:

“As you can see, these are measurable statements and Tom put them in writing!”

That’s right, CANDIDATES put their positions in writing (talking points)…the VOLUNTEERS do not. Nor do they routinely advocate for the candidate!

37. The Patriot said on 30 Sep 2007 at 5:59 pm:

AWC, I could care less if you ran campaigns or how you did it! Just because it was done the way you did it doesn’t make it the BEST or CORRECT way! I stand by my statements.

38. The Patriot said on 30 Sep 2007 at 6:01 pm:

AWC, when did I say the volunteer should put something in writing? I said they should have all the information that a candidate stands for at their disposal! If they cannot do this, they shouldn’t be going and talking to the public who might ask the tough questions! Presentation 101 skills right?!?!

39. Mike said on 30 Sep 2007 at 6:05 pm:

When I used to hit doors for candidates, I would never engage someone in a long dialogue. Just drop off the lit and keep going. If it was a canvass, get through it as quickly as possible and roll. If a volunteer wasn’t properly advised by whoever sent them out, too bad. If I can keep the opposition from hitting more homes, too bad.

40. Mr. Smith said on 30 Sep 2007 at 8:13 pm:

Everything I read on this blog is so wussy. “Oh, I saw people protesting for immigrant rights in a parking lot so I took pictures of them and tattled to the manager of the store, aren’t I ever so edgy and cool?”

“Some guy came to my door and I made fun of him.”

I’m so impressed by you all. Tell me, in high school were you the ones who would raise your hands and go, “Teacher, you forgot to assign us homework for this weekend.”

Ghey.

[Ed note: comment edited.]

41. AWCheney said on 30 Sep 2007 at 8:52 pm:

“Oh, I saw people protesting for immigrant rights…”

For illegal alien CLAIMS to rights that they don’t have, Mr. Smith…at least put some accuracy into your sarcasm.

42. Mr. Smith said on 30 Sep 2007 at 9:03 pm:

AWCheney, you know what else is ghey? Pedantry.

43. Anonymous said on 1 Oct 2007 at 8:15 am:

AWCheney simply has to respond to that last comment - lest I get stuck watch “The View” on a sick day. This is far more entertaining.

44. Anonymous said on 1 Oct 2007 at 11:02 am:

You know, in terms of responsiveness, Rishell and Colgan at least have people answering their phones. I have gotten an answer on Miller’s line as well. Where’s FitzSimmond?

45. Anonymous said on 1 Oct 2007 at 11:17 am:

Correction - FitzSimmond answers his own phone.

Views: 1961