Tim Kaine: I See No Evil

By Greg L | 28 September 2007 | Virginia Politics | 46 Comments

Governor Kaine is trying to tell folks that he wasn’t aware of what Esam Omeish was saying and blaming this on his staff as if he was Jim Webb trying to worm his way out of answering questions about smuggling guns into the District of Columbia.  If this guy had a low profile, I might buy it.  But as the President of the Muslim American Society Omeish had a long trail of public commentary that was out there.  When someone even does an interview on the Laura Ingraham show, it’s hard to somehow feign ignorance that no one knew what was happening with this guy.  No, the more plausible explanation is that Kaine and his staff has seen this, and weren’t particularly troubled by it.

After all, when you look at this transcript, it really doesn’t deviate a whole lot from Governor Kaine’s lauded dedication to bringing “diversity” to Virginia, even if it means talking about Sharia law.  The burkas, the “honor killings”, and the whole jihad thing might be “a lovely set of rules” for people so open minded, as Tim Kaine purports to be, that their brains are in danger of falling out.

“I didn’t know”, which I fully expected to hear once this issue really started getting attention, is utterly laughable.

15:01:250

INGRAHAM- I think that you raise a point that we do have to keep in mind. We certainly do not want to alienate people who put their patriotism and love of country first, and their obligation to this great land of ours, and I certainly don’t want to do that. Um… Shariah law, is Islamic law, and do you, or do you not Dr. Omeish, and this is educational, I think for our listeners to hear this, do you then not think that shariah law would be beneficial in the United States for the Muslims living here?

OMEISH- The answer is, if accepted by people, it would be a lovely set of rules, if people understand its tenets. You know we don’t drink, we don’t gamble, we don’t like to, you know we’re very much against adultery. You know, we have certain sets of values that I think we share with our conservative friends here in this country. We like to advocate them, I’d love to see a day when my girls don’t have premarital sex, and they don’t date before they get married and they don’t drink, and they don’t do drugs. These are values that I want to be in laws if I can.

[Crosstalk]

INGRAHAM: They don’t do burkas though right?

OMEISH- I understand how laws are made in this country, and if I can get enough people to vote for it, than I’ll do it.

INGRAHAM: But you’re daughters aren’t covered up in those burkas are…

OMEISH- No my daughters are. Because, that’s a dressing of modesty, that they have chosen to do by themselves. My wife is a PhD in molecular biology, she’s lived by herself in Canada for many years. She’s veiled since she was a youngster. And she left her country by herself, to study abroad, obtain her masters and PhD. She’s a wonderful lady. She’s teaching the girls, French Spanish and every…

[Crosstalk]

INGRAHAM: But Doc, Dr. Omeish, you’ll have plenty of time to speak but we have to get it back to Robert. Your not in favor of what is carried out in the name of Shariah law though, for women in countries that don’t, you know, want to be fully covered you know, with the burka, or the netted burka or whatever you call it.

OMEISH- They have absolutely full right to do whatever they want.

INGRAHAM: You don’t want…

[Crosstalk]

INGRAHAM: You do not favor the honor killings and the beatings and the torture of whom with you disagree or with whom Muslim fundamentalists disagree.

OMEISH- In the strongest terms Laura. I am against it. I think it’s something that has to be changed, and we have to stand up against it, no doubt, in my mind.

INGRAHAM: Let’s go to Robert, Robert, Dr. Omeish is you know, very outspoken, on his view here, yeah, Shariah law would be better in the United States if it was accepted more broadly. What is part of Shariah law?

[Crosstalk]

17:47:189

SPENCER: What he’s saying is very soothing, but he’s leaving out the elements of Shariah which are directly at variance with universally, otherwise universally accepted principles of human rights. The Shariah denies freedom of conscience, Mohammad said, if anybody leaves Islam, kill him. It’s still part of Shariah law that someone who leaves Islam, and changes his religion is under a death sentence. It institutionalizes the oppression of women in numerous ways. The beating, you know you mentioned beatings, well beating of wives is permitted in the Koran, chapter 4, verse 34, says good women are obedient as for those that are not, warn them, send them to separate beds, and beat them. And that’s the principle the doctor wants to bring to the United States. Obviously nobody is saying that wife beating only happens in a Muslim context, but to give it the sanction of divine law is extraordinarily unwise, and dangerous. And that is what we have to deal with. There are many things in Shariah that are like that. It institutionalizes the second class status of non-Muslims, who have to pay a special tax, must not hold authority over Muslims, have to feel themselves subdued, in accord with the Koran chapter 9 verse 29. In an accepted subservient second class status, without equality of rights before the law. In many places, in many interpretations of this Shariah law, they are not even allowed to testify in court, even in their own trials, and so this is something that is responsible for the oppression and persecution of people all over the world, right now, with the blasphemy in Pakistan which is Shariah based, allowing for the brutalization of Christians, and the accusations of many innocent people who are imprisoned, beaten, even killed. This is just one example, and of course the oppression of women, is no accident that these things are taking place in an Islamic context.

INGRAHAM- We’re running out of time…

Oh yes, Laura, we certainly are.  When guys like Tim Kaine want to ram this mindless dedication to “diversity” down our throats, we have precious little time to beat this back before it becomes the accepted standard for the “progressive” dismantlement of Western civilization.  The culture war is being waged right now, and Tim Kaine and his allies are fighting it hard.  We need to fight back.

1. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 3:29 pm:

Can Tim Kaine be recalled or impeached?

2. Bob Sentz said on 28 Sep 2007 at 3:37 pm:

Virginia is not listed as a recall state because its process, while requiring citizen petitions, allows a recall trial rather than an election.

3. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 3:41 pm:

Mr Patriot - your stars are shining and your stripes are showing. What an incredibly ingenious idea!

4. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:05 pm:

IGNORE Krutis activated…Anyhow, on another note, I guess Tim Kaine not only has trouble “seeing” this issue but also is blind to our illegal immigration problem!

5. Lafayette said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:18 pm:

The Patriot
    There quite of few folks out there that have trouble “seeing”. I sure hope they don’t drive cars around here.

6. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:25 pm:

TP - I see the illegal immigration problem but to go after it with an axe is not the answer. IF impeachment were possible, have you thought about the cost to the state? Would it be worth it? It would mean another election. Do you have any idea of what it costs to run a statewide election? This is where the domino effect comes into play, something that, for some reason, you don’t seem to grasp.

7. Jonathan Mark said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:26 pm:

Gill and Gallinger partner Asim Ghafoor expressed it a little differently, but it is the same idea. Paraphrasing his own interpretation of the Koran, Ghafoor stated on RadioIslam in 2000:

“I encourage the viewers maybe look up those verses that you mentioned. I believe they’re in Surah Maidah (the fifth chapter of the Quran), about how you should rule by Islam otherwise you’re a Kafir…when you’re Imam of some area, whether it’s a religious group or whether you’re in a position of secular power, you are commanded by Allah to rule according to Islam…When you’re in a position of responsibility, you need to mete out justice and you need to rule according to Islam.”

8. Bob Sentz said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:26 pm:

What do you suppose would happen to Kaine if he appointed a member or former member of the KKK to the Commission? Do you suppose there would be a huge public outcry. Possibly for his removal from office?

9. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:28 pm:

Krutis, sometimes you have to spend money to get things right! In this case, because our situation is in incredible decline, we need to spend the money and look at the long-term benefits.

10. Bob Sentz said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:31 pm:

Peace of mind is worth any price!!!

11. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:32 pm:

I agree with Bob!

12. redawn said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:35 pm:

Bob, I would think so, they are both extremist.

13. Bob Sentz said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:37 pm:

So, where is the public outcry for Kaine’s removal? Hopefully, it is forthcoming!

14. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:38 pm:

TP - Who would make a perfect governor of Virginia, in your opinion and,what kind of improvement would that person be able to make without having rubber stamp representatives? Do you think they’d all sit up on their hind legs and agree with every bill your favorite governor might put before them? Get real! This America!

15. Bob Sentz said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:39 pm:

At best, that appointment was a horrible example of incompetence!

16. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:40 pm:

Change for the better can be made. It is people like you krutis who impede changes for the better.

17. Lafayette said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:47 pm:

Bob Sentz & redawn
    I know I’ve said it before, but here goes.I can’t put a pricetag on quality of life. Who can?
    The Patriot
    Did you see new Neighborhood Watch signs on Sudley Manor, between Dublin and Lafayette? They were put up yesterday.

18. redawn said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:52 pm:

Lafayette,
    That is good is a good sign. I know that my Grandmother in Fairfax City has The Neighborhood Watch and the results are good. ( they have had that since my teens)
    I would also suggest, if there are areas of trash,etc. there is always the adopt a highway or street program.

19. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:53 pm:

No and I was in the area last night! Good! Signs must be posted everywhere stating that the neighbors will be watching everything from now on! We will NOT give up our cities!

20. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:54 pm:

The Patriot Patrol is on full alert at all times!

21. Isophorone said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:54 pm:

Jonathan, Let us know when you start the “GoodbyeTim” web site. LOL

Speaking of political correctness run amok, did you see this news item from Canada?

Hookah lounges are exempt from the city’s anti-smoking rules. Nice, huh?

22. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:57 pm:

“But he said hookah lounges are essential for immigrants from hookah-smoking cultures, because it helps them deal with the depression common for newcomers and gives them places like they have at home.”

What a nonsense excuse! This is nothing but preference!

23. Anonymous said on 28 Sep 2007 at 5:51 pm:

Yes, and remember a few weeks ago the newspaper stated that the reason Latinos keep chickens in their yards (and believe it or not I saw some coming out of a house on Amherst Drive one day) is that it reminds them of home.

24. dolph said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:11 pm:

The same people who voted for Tim Kaine will vote for him again and the same people who didn’t, won’t. Now what does a recall solve?

I would venture a guess that very few people on this blog voted for him in the first place.

25. Lafayette said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:25 pm:

redawn
    I think we will begin to see some Adopt a Street signs in the near future. The Neighborhood Watch signs are going up, and two seem to go hand in hand around here.
    Anon@5:51
    Next time you see chickens Call PWC Zoning 703-792-7018.
    Chickens are NOT allowed down there and most residential neighborhoods. There were chickens at Senator Colgan’s old house about a month ago. Well, they were only there for about 3 days, before PCE(Property Code Enforcement) visited, and then they were gone.

26. OMG said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:25 pm:

I just can’t take this any longer! As an introvert, it’s rare
    that I take part in something like this, but this is just too much
    for me to handle. If they miss their homelands so much, they
    should have stayed there and saved us all a lot of trouble.
    They can take their chickens, hookahs, rag heads and what-
    else makes them feel so comfy and go the hell back where
    they came from. I suppose it makes them comfy, too, to
    drag out the Quran and show us how it’s mandated to behead
    those of us who do not go along with their Islamic crap.

27. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:26 pm:

dolph - AMEN !!!!

28. Lafayette said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:31 pm:

dolph
    I believe people are just now “seeing the light”, and have had ENOUGH.I would guess most who voted for him may have changed the opinion and would be happy to see him leave. I know of a few who voted for him, and are saying they are sorry they did. My statement is based on what I’ve heard from those that voted for him.

29. Clean it up in '07 said on 28 Sep 2007 at 6:37 pm:

The appointment vetting process goes through Kate Hanley’s office. She’s not incompetent and the process, if anything like it was under former Governor’s, is pretty good about a certain amount of screening.

So, while they may feign that they “just didn’t know” or “wow…we’re surprised to learn this,” it’s all just bunk They were just plain arrogant and thought they’d slide this one through. What idiots they are. Now you know why they thought applying the abuser fees to only in-state drivers was a good idea.

30. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 7:10 pm:

Dolph, a recall process is used to remove people that demonstrate incompetence. If Tim Kaine is incompetent or lacks proper judgment, he should lose his job!

31. dolph said on 28 Sep 2007 at 7:27 pm:

And when we find the perfect politician who makes no mistakes, please, let’s clone that individual.

If a person in office makes a mistake, I have more respect for them if they correct the problem than if they stubbornly stick to their guns and continue on the wrong path.

Again, I seriously doubt if many people here voted for him in the first place. I just don’t take recall talk very seriously. BS & B.

32. The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 8:12 pm:

Dolph, but Tim is on the wrong path by NOT entering into the 287g program (even though he knows there is a major problem and we the legal citizens want it)!

33. dave b. said on 28 Sep 2007 at 8:41 pm:

Well I am very concerned for my safety and that of my fellow citizens. I feel very afraid with this guy in charge letting illegals run wild and terrorists run government commissions. I am very afraid and want a recall for the safety and security of me and my fellow citizens.

34. redawn said on 28 Sep 2007 at 9:23 pm:

Patriot

The Patriot said on 28 Sep 2007 at 4:05 pm:

“IGNORE Krutis activated”

For HUMOR and GOOD memories ONLY, this reminds me of the Saturday cartoon. I think the name was Wonder friends? It had Wonder woman, Aqua man, Batman, etc…and the would say (I think, getting old) Wonder friends, ACTIVATE….lol…yes,nonsense- but couldn’t help myself.

35. Krutis said on 28 Sep 2007 at 9:40 pm:

dave b. - You made that exact same statement somewhere else. What kind of safety are you concerned about? “I’m very afraid….” What the heck are you so afraid of? You want a recall for the safety and security of yourself and your fellow citizen. Well, I’m a fellow citizen and I’m not afraid of ghosts like you seem to be. Explain what your fears are about, if you can put them into words. And - what do you expect a recall would do? You have no idea who might take Kaine’s place and whether that person would allay your seemingly pathological fears.

36. dolph said on 28 Sep 2007 at 11:20 pm:

Yes, Manassas, there is a Virginia. As bitter of a pill as it is to take, Prince William County and the included cities only represent a small portion of Virginia voters. Talking to one’s friends and neighbors is hardly an indicator of how people would really vote if it were election day following a hypothetically successful recall.

37. Legal2 said on 28 Sep 2007 at 11:33 pm:

Well, dolph, it’s still worth a try. kaine is acting irresponsibly/wrecklessly.

38. Lafayette said on 28 Sep 2007 at 11:34 pm:

dolph
    I have family and friends all over The Commonwealth, my statement was not limted to PWC. Just some clarification.

39. G Man said on 29 Sep 2007 at 12:00 am:

dolph said:

I bet then you must have the utmost respect for Marion Barry, and like a few other wackos in DC want to see him as DC Mayor again?

40. dolph said on 29 Sep 2007 at 12:38 am:

Facts: Recalls cost millions of dollars. Virginia isn’t a recall state. There is a process to remove elected officials in Virginia but it isn’t without a steep cost. Kaine won the gubernatorial election by over 113,000 votes. If Kilgore had all of Russ Potts votes, he still would not have won the election.

Whether you like Kaine, hate Kaine, voted for Kaine or for someone else, the reality is, the man is in office until early 2010.

We can sit around and bicker over a hypothetical recall for the next 3 years. By then Tim Kaine will be out of office. Those who feel they made a mistake last election can make better choices with their next vote for governor. I just don’t like wasting lots of money on things with an outcome that probably will not change a thing.

41. dolph said on 29 Sep 2007 at 12:46 am:

When did Marion Barry correct the error of his ways? Last I heard he was still snorting away and walking around like it was Halloween.

Get serious. I was actually thinking of that other famous First Gentleman of Washington, George Bush.

42. The Patriot said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:09 am:

Dolph said “There are more effective ways to make your will known. Letter writing and phone calls are a good place to start. I plan to do just that!”

Is this not what we have been doing?!? I have!!!!!

43. freedom said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:40 am:

Well, now that we KNOW the truth about an Esam Omeish, let’s NOT make the same error in the name of Faisal Gill.

Apparently, at one time, Esam Omeish was thought to be a “good guy,” or perhaps there wasn’t enough known about him, or perhaps it was known, but thought to be unimportant…so, appointed, he was. In my opinion, regardless of the reasoning behind it, it was a mistake.

I don’t know what’s within the heart of Faisal Gill, but I contend that we simply don’t need to “take a chance” on him because of his past association with a man who is now serving a 23 year prison term for money laundering and his CURRENT association with a man who has filed suit against the feds for monitoring his communications with known terrorists.

His Republican supporters call my view “guilt by association” and my opposition to him based upon racism. They (including Tom Kopko, Corey Stewart, Tom Davis, Scott Lingamfelter, Bill Bolling, and Michelle McQuigg) claim that he was “exonerated.” I say, the fact that he was not indicted does NOT equal “being exonerated.”

As to the charge of “guilt by association,” I say, all of us are judged by our associates…right or wrong, we are…often because we lack full information and have to go with the best information we have. So, not knowing what’s true in his heart, I hold Faisal Gill responsible for extremely poor judgment in his selection of associates.

We need not and should not risk repeating the Governor’s error by taking a chance on Faisal Gill in November.

44. dolph said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:54 am:

Patriot, I am sure you are!

45. dave b. said on 29 Sep 2007 at 2:48 pm:

Well I am terrified now and want a new governor who will take action on illegals and terrorists and allay my fears. This guy scares me and many others. I feel terrified with an illegal/terrorist sympathizer running my state.

46. freedom said on 1 Oct 2007 at 9:51 am:

Is it surprising that we don’t see Jimmy Young supporting the Governor’s appointment in this thread?

Views: 2031