MJM Blows Coverage On Rishell’s False Claims

By Greg L | 29 September 2007 | Jeanette Rishell, 50th HOD District | 26 Comments

The Manassas Urinal-Massager tries in today’s edition to cover the controversy regarding Jeanette Rishell’s blatantly false claims in her campaign materials, and gives it as little ink as possible. Although the reporter investigates the claims and shows them to be entirely without merit, this short article only investigates one of the false claims being made, and gives that the barest coverage. I’ve had a fair amount of time with the reporter who wrote this, and Lillian Kafka is a lot better than what the editorial board allowed through the filter the paper’s biased editorial perspective. How can you possibly document that something is a lie, and end the article with something like this?

“Politics is hard-hitting. You expect the other person to zing me, but to make things up is just beyond the pale,” [Jackson] Miller said.

[Rishell For Delegate Campaign Manager Josh] Panger insisted that Miller voted for the pay increase and referred queries to the state budget, but there is no mention of per diem rates in the budget.

Rishell can’t explain what her campaign is alleging, her campaign manager can’t do it either, and the editorial board is just going to let pass his nonsensical hand-off to “the state budget”? Why didn’t they just get the phone number for “the state budget” and call it up and ask it a few questions, then? How about calling a spade a spade, as I strongly suspect the reporter did before the editorial board started hacking at this article, and just document that the Jeanette Rishell campaign cannot substantiate the claims it is making in it’s campaign materials? If the Manassas Urinal-Massager had any real intention of providing the information that voters need in order to make informed choices on November 6th, you’d think fully running down the veracity of these disputed allegations would be a priority. Instead, it’s seemingly downplaying this incident in order to protect Rishell from the consequences of her actions.

Haven’t we seen this attitude before?

No one should be under the impression that if Jackson Miller was making these unsubstantiated claims that the Urinal-Massager would give him a pass like this. No, this is the absolute minimum that the MJM can do on this and still claim that they’ve covered the story, which will certainly leave plenty of readers wondering why this story appeared in the first place.

It’s a disgrace.

1. ddpdrinker said on 29 Sep 2007 at 2:42 am:

On 9/18 I sent a letter to the Editor that read: Dear Editor: I have received two postcards from Friends of Jeanette Rishell, both saying basically the same thing. I would like to know when Jackson Miller voted himself a pay-raise while in Richmond. Richmond has had NO bills for pay-raises. I would like to know where Ms. Rishell’ got her information. I would also like to know which developments Jackson Miller voted on that lined his pockets. If Ms. Rishell is going to make these allegations, then she needs to back them up with FACTS. Let’s see the FACTS. Otherwise, these are blatant lies she is advertising to try to get into the office. I wonder if she lies to her Mexican Without Borders friends that she has supported, along with her support of the illegal supporters, yet NOW she claims she is for laws to curb illegal immigration. I wonder if she lies to her children and grandchildren? That’s a terrible example. Ms. Rishell states Jackson Miller is playing a “shell game”. I think the only game being played here is the RISHELL game.

The next day I received an email from the paper asking for my first name so they could print my letter. I gave them my name and my letter never went into the paper. Why not???

2. citizenofmanassas said on 29 Sep 2007 at 8:58 am:

Well, given the attitude of the MJM, I have to say this is not a bad story. Yes, it could have been a more in depth story, but it does get people thinking about just how truthful or untruthful Jeanette really is.

3. Iris said on 29 Sep 2007 at 9:50 am:

Greg blows goats. i have proof.

4. Citizen said on 29 Sep 2007 at 10:53 am:

Wow Iris. Some intelligent contribution you made!

5. Rick Bentley said on 29 Sep 2007 at 11:29 am:

Actually I think that story reads pretty well and anyone can see that Rishell is full of it. Probably a few votes got swayed by that story.

6. Iris said on 29 Sep 2007 at 11:31 am:

No less intelligent than the racist garbage you honkeys spew here everyday. I am doing everything I can to help illegals come to this country, find jobs, and stay away from the authorities. I look forward to the day when white people are a minority. Then you can find out what it’s like to be oppressed and discriminated against. To the back of the bus with you crackers!

7. OBIT said on 29 Sep 2007 at 11:38 am:

I hope ICE is monitoring and gets you IP address: Iris T. Mycase.

8. Anonymous said on 29 Sep 2007 at 12:49 pm:

blow one goat and you are marked for life….

9. mnd said on 29 Sep 2007 at 1:16 pm:

Wow, someone admitting to a federal felony. (Yes it is already against the law to aid someone who is in violation of immigration/customs laws.)

If only Federal prosecutors would do their job.

10. Clean it up in '07 said on 29 Sep 2007 at 1:48 pm:

Iris is another one of those white liberals who spew that stuff without ever having discussed this issue with a LEAL immigrant. This is why we have to ignore those who inject race into this important issue.

If you ever talked to a law abiding hispanic person — and not that it matters, but the majority of my friends and co-workers over the last 3 to 4 years just happen to be law abiding people of hispanic heritage — you would know that they are very upset about the illegal alien problem as well, probably more so than most of us who post on this blog. Are you going to accuse these people of being racists?

They tell me all the time that there are 2 types of immigrants coming to the U.S. these days; “free riders” and “American Dreamers” and those that are looking for the free ride are ruining it for those seeking the American Dream.

When I fight this fight to stem the problems associated with illegal aliens, I do it for my good friends who came here to seek the American Dream the legal way, and I also hope to honor my late parents’ memory who both came here as legal immigrants to seek that dream as well.

11. Clean it up in '07 said on 29 Sep 2007 at 1:48 pm:

LEGAL immigrant (line 2). Sorry for the typo

12. Clean it up in '07 said on 29 Sep 2007 at 1:50 pm:

oh shucks…posted in the wrong place…more coffee.

13. One Voice said on 29 Sep 2007 at 3:38 pm:

Still waiting for the “proof” that Sen. Watkins hires illegals as one would believe from a post a few days ago. Shouldn’t everyone have to validate their attacks?

14. RACK said on 29 Sep 2007 at 3:51 pm:

ddpdrinker - email opinion@potomacnews.com and ask them when they are going to publish your letter and let them know the date it was submitted.

Iris - please provide us with your address so we can notify the federal authorities.

I’m thankful the MJM did a story on Rishell’s slanderous mailers - even if they only touched on one of her blatant lies. The public needs to know how dishonest she is!

15. josh said on 29 Sep 2007 at 4:08 pm:

Iris sounds like a 5 year old, who got ahold of mommy’s liquor and her laptop as well. when iris comes down from his/her crack high maybe he/she will be ready for a civilized debate on the subject of immigration

16. One Voice said on 29 Sep 2007 at 4:13 pm:

Iris needs to check out the census data from other states. Virginia is an anomaly thanks to our leaders - in many ways!!!

17. ddpdrinker said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:07 pm:

Rack: I will contact the paper to find out why my letter was not published.

As for Iris, we all need to just ignore people like this who, I believe, just post to get a rise out of us. Do not reply and do not even acknowledge their existence. My personal code is that I will not have a battle-of-wits with someone I believe to be only half-armed. They already have low self-esteem and I would not want to take them down any lower.

There are those on this blog that will disagree with others and present their disagreements and/or arguments in an intelligent, articulate and educated way, without nastiness and name calling. Lets keep this blog that way and not let ourselves stoop to the level of those like Iris.

18. One Voice said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:17 pm:

ddpdrinker said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:07 pm:

I agree, however, this requires a higher standard for those that post comments than some of the articles that are posted are held to. I am still waiting for the proof on Sen. Watkins. This creates much confusion in my mind when it comes to the purpose of HSM and BVBL and what I see here. Certainly BVBL / HSM has taken charge of the problem here in PWC/Manassas and those should certainly take credit and be thanked profusely for their efforts. But stories like Sen. Watkins and bragging about nastiness to a candidates volunteer don’t seem consistant with those efforts.

What am I missing?

19. Patty said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:38 pm:

Greg,

MJM is not worth using as a potty paper for my dog.

Greg,

This county needs a good newspaper. Did you ever consider starting your own paper? I think you would do well.

20. citizenofmanassas said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:51 pm:

I think it is kind of ironic what Iris said. He or she, or maybe it, admitted that minorities will discriminate against whites if and when minorities become the majority population of this Country. Think about that for a minute.

That goes against everything liberals have said for the last forty years.

21. SLH said on 29 Sep 2007 at 5:57 pm:

Greg does not really need to start a paper. Greg and others like him are part of the new media and are one of the reasons that both the print and network TV media are losing readers/viewers.

Thank you Greg for your great coverage of issues of interest to the Manassas community.

22. me-n-u said on 29 Sep 2007 at 9:38 pm:

But Greg doesn’t get paid to do this, maybe starting a paper would let him draw a check.

23. Becky D. said on 29 Sep 2007 at 10:42 pm:

Something we all can do to make our voices heard (since the MJM won’t print our letters to the editor!) is go to Miller’s debate with Rishell this Thursday evening, 10/4. I just checked the PW Committee of 100 website and you can go there for further info.

Let’s all show up to support Jackson Miller and make our voices heard loud and clear!! I’ve had enough of being lied to by Rishell. We’ll have the opportunity to ask her questions at the forum … I can’t wait!

24. Mr. Smith said on 30 Sep 2007 at 8:04 pm:

Greg needs to understand the difference between “its” and “it’s” before he can start his own newspaper.

25. Guerrita said on 30 Sep 2007 at 9:34 pm:

Dear Greg and fellow comrades:
    I have lived in this county since 1990. I just want you to know you don’t speak for me! I bought by current home 3 years ago, and when I couldn’t afford contractor’s prices I used immigrants. You can add my name to the list with Iris.

No one died to leave you king of the forest. I will not be intimidated by the threats of you and your kind. You hide behind the coat of legality because the truth is you are afraid of change. Jim Crow Laws were “legal” and so was slavery. Doesn’t make it right! I have hope that one day the laws will change, but not the way you want them to.

Everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was “LEGAL” at the time.

26. Greg L said on 30 Sep 2007 at 10:12 pm:

No, actually those “Jim Crow” provisions violated federal laws. During the civil rights era, the intent was to uphold federal law and strike down unconstitutional state and local laws that violated the 14th Amendment. You need to pull out the history books again, my friend.

That you refer to a group of people as “comrades” is telling. It seems like you’ve been exposed to some heavy communist ideology in the past. Casting off the Marxist rhetoric is pretty hard I’m told. Perhaps over time you’ll learn more about our political history in this country. I’d recommend it highly, because if you’re looking at our current political environment through the lens of foreign experience, not much of what you see here is going to make a lot of sense to you.

Good luck.