Janet Oleszek: I Am A Californian

By Greg L | 7 October 2007 | Fairfax County, Virginia Senate | 54 Comments

Janet Oleszek participated in a candidate’s forum held by Equality Fairfax, and in that friendly crowd managed to open her remarks bemoaning that after being raised in Sacremento, California, she finds Virginia not very much to her liking:

“[I] was born and raised in Sacramento, and was raised in an era of optimism, an era of we can do it, we can solve problems, we can go to the moon, we can be socially aware and compatible. And I have moved to a Virgina that is very different than the Sacramento that I was raised in.”

That’s quite a complaint. Perhaps voters in the 37th District of Virginia might not care to reproduce the culture of Sacramento, California here. Sure, it’s a wonderful place, but if we really wanted to live in Sacramento, we always can move there. Instead, we chose to be Virginians.

Speaking of which, Janet, if you really think Sacramento is more to your liking, what in the heck are you doing here?

Moments later, the very first thing she trots out to describe her outlook on Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual-Transgendered issues is “I am a Californian.” Not a Virginian, but a Californian. And she’s running for the Virginia State Senate.

I think she’s in the wrong state. Is it time for “surf’s up, Janet!”?

Cooch, you need to hammer her on this. Unbelievable.

1. Matt said on 7 Oct 2007 at 2:10 am:

I’m a libertarian, and I support gay rights, but no way would I ever vote for someone who holds the greatest state in the nation in such contempt. Virginia is the home of Washington, Madison, Jefferson, Mason, Patrick Henry, Robert E. Lee, Henry Clay, and John Marshall. Indeed, the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedoms did more to preserve and protect liberal government and freedoms in America than anything that’s come out of California. Without Virginia, America as we know would not exist.

Someone so ignorant and contemptous of their adopted state has no business in public office.

2. Matt said on 7 Oct 2007 at 2:22 am:

Wow, other than abolishing Marshall-Newman (which I support) she had nothing to say about anything.

I liked her response to the question, “Will you openly advocate raising taxes?”

Her response, “Wow, that’s a really inflammatory question”.

No it isn’t - it’s a standard question that all candidates should answer. There is nothing inflammatory about it.

“We’ll never be like Europe” was another amusing remark.

What a glib woman.

3. mnd said on 7 Oct 2007 at 5:14 am:

Every single child of my grandmother (who drove to California in 1927 with her mother and brothers and sisters ahead of a premonition my great grandmother had.) is now a California exile. None of the grandchildren live in California today. My parents got out in the 80s. I think my uncle was the last one out.

As an ex-Californian all I have to say is “do not want!”

4. LifeTimeVAResident said on 7 Oct 2007 at 7:47 am:

I don’t thing Janet Oleszek was saying anything more than Virginia is different than Sacramento. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I do not think she ways insinuating in any way that she does not like it here or that she wants to go back to CA. You people always put your negative spin on everything.

I was born and raised in Virginia, and was raised in an era of optimism, an era of we can do it, we can solve problems, we can go to the moon, we can be socially aware and compatible. And I still live in Virgina. It is very different than the Virginia in which I was born and raised. I moved to Manassas 40 years ago with my husband and children. Worlds apart from Arlington where I was born and raised but that does not mean I did not like Manassas. It was and is just different. However, Manassas is much different that it was. Manassas used to be a great place to live but now………It seems people here are not very socially compatable, not the least bit accepting, don’t know how to live in harmony, don’t like to see the face of Manassas changing into a more culturally diverse area, don’t try to solve problems, just complain, use intimidation making it uncomfortable for immigrants and create an unfriendly place for all its residents. Manassas is becoming the laughing stock of No Va.

5. park'd said on 7 Oct 2007 at 9:39 am:

Lifetimevaresident: You forgot the key adjective in front of the noun there: ILLEGAL. We have nothing against immigrants. We have EVERYTHING against illegal immigrants. Your type always likes to spin this into a xenophobic issue. And no, Manassas is not viewed as a laughing stock for any other reason than it is viewed as the place where all the illegals live so therefor nobody else wants to live here. Nice spin though! I have to give you an A for effort on that one.

Dave

6. park'd said on 7 Oct 2007 at 9:55 am:

And as an addition:

If culture means that I must accept that native English speaking children are getting a poor education because the non-English speaking children are taking up too many resources then I must be uncultured.

If culture means that I should just laugh it off when a gang of Hispanic men who idle at every 7-11 within a 100 square mile area cat-call my mom, niece, sister, girlfriend or any other woman around then I must be uncultured.

If culture means that I should just shrug it off as my neighbors live 10 to a house and drop trash all over my lawn, park in my spots, let their kids put their grubby hands all over my 25k car, burn a trail to the back of my house and kill the grass with people coming and going then I must be uncultured.

If culture means that I have to accept that I may die in the emergency room because it has been taken over by hundreds of poor Hispanics with no means who suck off the teet of society and require us to patch them up after they have a nailgun accident or are injured in a drunken brawl then I must be uncultured.

If culture means that I have to give the ‘Borat 2 thumbs up’ to all the trash that blows around my town now because the town was never meant to accommodate 10 people to a house then I must be uncultured.

If cultured means that I should just stay off the roads after 10pm for fear of being hit by a drunken illegal alien who will never be caught or prosecuted and will leave me dead or crippled then I must be uncultured.

etc…etc….etc…..

Manassas is viewed as a place where the first battle in this war is being waged. This issue has civil war potential to it. I just don’t think the politicians realize how volatile this situation is. I give it two more years of continued abuse and they certainly will. It’s up to us to make this THE key campaign issue of 2008 so that they can’t duck this issue any longer.

7. Isophorone said on 7 Oct 2007 at 10:06 am:

Yes, it’s quite amazing how Janet changes her tune when she thinks she is in front of a friendly audience.

Speaking of which, someone has to ask her what she thinks of the State’s role in abortion funding. Does she think it is to be unlimited?

About California: We were there this past summer. It’s amazing how, when you get away from the big cities, the place is very different. We were in this Central Valley town, Oakdale, and the atmosphere was definitely conservative. Steak restaurants, hunting trophies, working people, etc. I suppose it’s similar to a lot of states that way, but maybe the California cities show off a certain, er, extreme.

8. Clean it up in '07 said on 7 Oct 2007 at 10:49 am:

She got caught saying something stupid once again. If she’s so “California,” how come she doesn’t know that everything she says makes it into the public domain through some form of new media?

Cooch will be ok in this race — I’m just worried about O’Brien making it.

9. JM said on 7 Oct 2007 at 12:00 pm:

Amazing. She runs in Virginia as a Californian, and shows obvious contempt for her current state of residence by comparing it unfavorably with her native state–AND she hopes to win an election. Good luck with that one. Nice Nancy Pelosi hair, too. If she is trying to be a junior Pelosi, then no thanks!

10. Anonymous said on 7 Oct 2007 at 12:39 pm:

CALIFORNIA: The land of “fruits” and “nuts.”

11. Anonymous said on 7 Oct 2007 at 12:46 pm:

mnd on 7 Oct 2007 at 5:14 am:

I invite you to go to Roxbury Drive in the Sudley area and look at the house that was “home” to 15 Latinos. Last night they moved out under the cover of darkness after they had trashed the house and removed all of the appliances and light fixtures. The front door was still open this morning. You want us to welcome that kind with open arms and a heart full of love for them? BS they are trash!

12. anonimo said on 7 Oct 2007 at 1:24 pm:

Greg, why don’t you talk about the sing in old town manassas.
    it wasn’t you that messed it up personaly, but it was your people.

13. Gone Fishing said on 7 Oct 2007 at 1:35 pm:

Until you have experienced blaring salsa music, loud enough
    to wake the dead, drunks lying on the grass, beer bottles
    thrown all over the yard, along with other garbage which often
    drifts over to your yard, multiple cars and vans, often parked
    on the grass and dozens of Latinos whooping it up, you have NO
    idea how it feels to watch your neighborhood morph into that
    of a third world country. So, LifetimeVAResident, do not be so
    hasty to judge us until you walk in our shoes….or perhaps you
    ARE experience these things, but just don’t give a rat’s a–!

14. Gone Fishing said on 7 Oct 2007 at 1:36 pm:

correction: experiencing

15. anon said on 7 Oct 2007 at 1:53 pm:

Gone Fishing –

Good comments. Your insights are why I visit this blog. Nothing like living in hell to recognize it.

I have not seen this (yet) in my DC neighborhoods but we are very worried. My proud Redneck Republican husband has only ever voted for one Democrat in his life - John Jenkins. If Mr. Jenkins lived in Westgate or MP, there would be a mobile zoning office located there with 24 hour service.

His office is the busiest of all supervisors and most county employees know that when he calls and wants something fixed you might as well fixt it the first time - and fast! We are counting on him to keep this problem from moving here. When you have an elected official that would go to all the effort he does to protect his turf that official is going to win over and over again regardless of party affiliation.

Gone Fishing - Call his office and ask for help. I doubt he’d turn you down. At least you would have tried. I think the history of supervisors in your area is not good. Not true of the current supervisor (Stirrup) but there is a lot of catching up to do for one man and he is likely beseiged. Jenkins knows his way around and skips the red tape.

-say what you will about what you think of the man because he is a Democrat - Dale City LOVES him because he acts and he cares about us and we see it over and over again.

16. Fed up 2 said on 7 Oct 2007 at 2:32 pm:

THERE STILL IS TIME TO BE SAVED.

IT IS NOT JUST MANASSAS, IT’S THE ENTIRE COUNTY AND THEY HAVE LED THE WAY.

NO ONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH IMMIGRANTS, IT’S THE ILLEGAL ALIENS,THIS IS TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND IT CERTAINLY DOES NOT TAKE SOME ONE WITH TO MANY BRAINS TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS KAINE APPROVED FOR A SHORT DISTANCE OF ROAD. YET HE CUTS BACK THE POLICE OF OVER $500,OOO THOUSANDS.

SO MUCH FOR THE SAFETY OF THE CITIZENS.

WATCH AND READ EVERYTHING FROM PANDAK,SHE FOLLOWS THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS.

17. The Patriot said on 7 Oct 2007 at 2:37 pm:

Talk about action against Sheriff Joe!

18. The Patriot said on 7 Oct 2007 at 2:44 pm:

Video on the agenda of La Raza! True colors starting to come out now!

19. anon said on 7 Oct 2007 at 3:02 pm:

9510 Sudley Manor needs watching. Family(ies) moved in at night at the end of the summer. Their ‘moving van’ is still in the driveway. Many children who appear to be the same age. This house appears to be rental property. Previous owners who kept the Mexican flag over their front door moved out real fast. The proprty doesn’t appear to have changed owners according to county records. Lots of curbside hanging out.

When you keep your moving van in the driveway, why do I think you are fly by night? (see the big white pull trailer as you pass by)

Perhaps it is time to start writing angry letters to the property owner informing the owner of how crappy their investment is being treated.

20. Leila said on 7 Oct 2007 at 3:11 pm:

Fed Up, why are you shouting? Is your shift stuck?

21. Isophorone said on 7 Oct 2007 at 3:46 pm:

By the way, doesn’t California also have a marriage amendment? Didn’t the San Francisco attempts at processing same-sex marriages get struck down by their own courts? Didn’t the San Francisco mayor admit to having an affair with his campaign manager’s wife?

Maybe Janet is more San Francisco than anywhere else in California.

My wife remarked that Janet’s hairstyle was more Laura Bush, strangely believe it! LOL Well, that was September 23 . . .

22. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 4:04 pm:

Patriot-With regard to the video you posted at 2:44, I find it simply amazing how this a-hole stands in front of a huge banner condemning hate speech as he slobbers all over himself while he spews hatred for America!! Kind of reminds me of a guy named Adolf!!

23. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 4:05 pm:

My apologies for the double post. I didn’t think it went through.

24. monticup said on 7 Oct 2007 at 4:48 pm:

Lifetimeva is wrong. Manassas is the model for NoVa. Everyone in Va and Maryland is applauding HSM and PWC for making constructive efforts to restore their communities and bring back civility and the rule of law. Urinating in public, spitting, loitering, and harrassing young women are not civil behaviors. Manassas is attempting to clean house and the whole nation is watching and hoping the job gets done.

25. monticup said on 7 Oct 2007 at 4:51 pm:

Olesczek is a moron. Come to think of it she does remind me of Nancy Pelosi.

26. LifeTimeVAResident said on 7 Oct 2007 at 4:53 pm:

park’d and Gone Fishin,

I guess I ruffled your feathers. You sound pretty angry. If you have overcrowded houses where ever you live then maybe the ordinances should be enforced. Sorry you don’t appreciate cultural diversity.

The fact is the majority of immigrant children, legal and illegal, in our schools do speak English. I remember when schools were segregated white people said the same thing about blacks - “Our children’s education will suffer because all those illiterates will take up all the resources and besides that they are incapable of learning.” I made out ok and so did everyone in my generation.

I live in a fairly small neighborhood and probably 25% of the people who live here are hispanic. Their houses are tidy, they do not leave trash everywhere, do not have loud parties and when they do they wind it up outside about 10, they are respectful and so are their children, and they are good neighbors. Sorry you have not had the same experience. It appears that has left you and many others with a bad taste in your mouth about a whole culture of people. It is a shame that the whole group gets labeled because of a few bad apples.

27. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 5:04 pm:

LifetimeVAR…

Anythime a law or ordinance is enforced everybody starts crying ‘RACIST’ ‘BIGOTS’ and if that doesn’t work they sue. Just like the ACLU just sued the Dept. of Homeland Security to prevent them from sending out 100,000 letters to employers instructing them to ensure SS#’s matched up to the employees names. Enforcement is selective and not in favor of the legal residents. Maybe a meth lab in your neighborhood would bring some real diversity!

28. one voice said on 7 Oct 2007 at 5:59 pm:

Mr. LTVA

I don’t think it’s fair of you to tell people living in this chaos how they should “rise above this” with such a supercilious tone. These folks are losing their investments, their way of life and their neigborhoods. I thank God it hasn’t happened to me yet, but just becuase it hasn’t it doesn’t mean it won’t or the problem there is not real.

I don’t want drunks laying on my neighbors yards, 15-20 people crammed into the house next door and darn it, I am sick and tired of people getting away without paying taxes - illegals AND those that hire them. It just makes it more expensive for me. You too, I should imagine.

Don’t tell these folks about cultural diversity, they are living it and not the fun part. You are lucky. Try some compassion for those that are not as lucky as you.

I can’t/don’t support much of the nonsense that appears on this site as I prefer facts - I am here in support of these fellow citizens that need our help and support. Try it, it’s Sunday.

29. The Patriot said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:15 pm:

It doesn’t appear those people in the video I posted want “cultural diversity” now does it lifetime?

30. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:21 pm:

Most pwoerful image you’ll see today

31. manassascityresident said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:22 pm:

Patriot - no, they don’t want cultural diversity - they want to take over! It’s enough to make me hurl!
    And LVTA - unless you’re living with it - you have no right to put us down for trying to save our communities from this “takeover” -

32. one voice said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:24 pm:

Patriot - I think I am want 287(g) training for me after viewing that video. I am beginning to believe that La Raza is a bigger threat to me than Mid-East terrorist.

33. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:27 pm:

Has La Raza denounced the guys remarks in the video posted by Patriot?

34. Leila said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:28 pm:

Bob Sentz, the ACLU isn’t alone in the suit. The US Chamber of Commerce and many many business groups have also joined in to block DHS.

See the account in that notoriously liberal, anti-American newspaper The Wall Street Journal.

35. The Patriot said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:28 pm:

For those that have seen the video I posted….I have posted others from different sources just like it. Now put that together with the flying of Mexican flags all around the country, lack of patriotic assimilation around our country, and the sheer numbers of illegal aliens in cities around our country (not just in our county) and the big picture becomes clearer. Something is definitely going on.

36. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:34 pm:

Leila-That’s just it. How do you get sued for enforcing the law? I find that rediculous. Not to mention transparent.

37. Leila said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:35 pm:

While it is easy to get around the WSJ preview/pay function,should you not care to, the pertinent graph is this:

“In early September, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and several trade groups representing small businesses that employ low-skilled immigrants joined the lawsuit. Among others, the United Fresh Produce Association, the National Roofing Contractors Association and the Association of Nursery and Landscapers allege the Department of Homeland Security failed to perform a financial-impact assessment, as required under the Regulatory Flexibility Act, to measure the impact of the new rule on small businesses.”

38. Leila said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:37 pm:

That may or may not be so Bob, but just want to make sure it is known that the Republican-run USCC and that wet dream of all Republican presidential candidates, the small business community, is also trying to quash the no-match letters, not just the liberals of the ACLU.

39. monticup said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:49 pm:

Leila: The Wall Street Journal is notoriously pro-illegal alien and pro-amnesty. They periodically run pro-open borders columns. They do not run any articles that disagree with them on the issue of illegal immigration. The WSJ doesn’t care that the US has become the dumping ground for the undesirables of Mexico and Central America and that these corrupt countries are sending the bottom of their societies here. It’s a twofer for them–they get rid of their social problems plus they get remittances sent home.

40. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 6:53 pm:

You need to separate legal from illegal (re: low-skilled immigrant). Afterall, that is the argument. No mention of illegal labor mentioned above. Maybe the financial impact is that I’ll need to pay $45.00 instead of $37.00 to mow my lawn. I’m for that.

41. monticup said on 7 Oct 2007 at 7:07 pm:

Bob Sentz: If the illegal aliens were to return home, some costs would go up and some costs would go down. The truth is, illegal immigration is a net loss for Americans–low skilled, uneducated individuals end up sucking resources out of government (the taxpayers). Business that have been getting the benefit of illegal workers would have to become more efficient and innovative. Agribusiness might have to spend money to mechanize, etc. And they might have to pay an American or legal worker more. I only hire Americans for work around my house. I do pay more but I feel it is worth it.

42. Leila said on 7 Oct 2007 at 7:15 pm:

Monticup, I don’t know if you are right or not about costs. But the fact that a coalition of business interests and the US Chamber of Commerce is opposing the no-match letters is significant. After all that is just a baby step toward the mass exodus you desire. As much as the Republican Party likes to play to its base on illegal immigration (just like abortion, gay marriage, etc.), its key constituency is and has always been business. I doubt very much that anything will be done ultimately against the interests of that constituency. That, combined with lawsuits and local costs for schemes like PWC’s, etc., makes it clear to me anyway that your party’s politicians at the local and national level are playing you on this issue.

And even though the base gets all riled up, it has very noticeably not rallied to the side of the one Republican candidate who has made illegal aliens his signature issue.

43. Bob Sentz said on 7 Oct 2007 at 7:16 pm:

How in the world do you only hire Americans? I recently hired University Painters to paint my house. I asked the owner if his employees were all legal. He told me they were legal and long time employees. I don’t think so. What showed up was a crew of 5 hispanics. One of which spoke broken English the rest zero English. As a side note, they did a horrible job. I had to hire another contractor to fix and finish the job. In the end, it would have been more cost effective to have verified the legality of their employees. But, as a citizen, how is that done?

44. Laura said on 7 Oct 2007 at 8:21 pm:

I am curious as to where the link with that video and La Raza is. The fact that the speaker said “la raza” does not cut it. Even if there is, in my mind that is the same as posting a video of a KKK speach and coming to the conclusion that there “is something up” with the white folks in the US.
    So often liberal activists feel that they are speaking in the best interest of the disadvantaged, in a very condescending way. It seems to me that the person speaking in that video is equally out of touch with the poeple he proports to be speaking for. Chavez, Castro, they are enemies of democracy, free speach, and capiltalism, all of the things that ultimately draw immigrants here from around the globe. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that his words are representative of the majority Hispanic immigrants. There are real issues here, overcrowding exists and may be disproportionate to Hispanic households, but Lelia is on to someting equally legitimate. Posting links to the most extreme video clip that you can find and trying to link those views to millions of people in the US is reminisent of both the worst of the McCarthyist era and WWII Japense internment camps. Communism was a real threat, much more so than the crap that that guy on the video is spewing, but a threat does not justify any and all menas to eliminate the threat. Step up the level of discourse and perhaps we can make some progress.

[Ed note: Are you the same person who is the spokesperson for La Voz of Loudoun?]

45. Laura said on 7 Oct 2007 at 9:37 pm:

I was that person but I am no longer. I was the Interim ED of La Voz of Loudoun, but I have finished my work there and I am on to other things now.

46. The Patriot said on 8 Oct 2007 at 8:04 am:

Laura, I posted many many many other resources over the last several months (from around the country). That one video I posted is just ONE of the many. So it is not an isolated incident. When you put all the other factors I mentioned together it is not hard to see what is happening. Yes, there are groups of “legal assimilated American hispanics/latinos” that are against this type of activity (that are on our side)….but unfortunately they seem to be in very limited numbers. Which speaks volumes in and of itself of what is actually taking place around our country.

47. Bob Sentz said on 8 Oct 2007 at 9:59 am:

La Raza needs to disassociate themselves from radicals as the guy in the video. There are many other references of people spewing hatred and referencing La Raza. I haven’t heard La Raza condemn that speech.

48. Dan said on 8 Oct 2007 at 10:09 am:

What is significant about those breaking the law by hiring illegal migrant labor being against enforcement of this practice ? Isn’t this a dog bites man type of story ?

We must also remember that there has been absolutely no demonstrated correlation anywhere between the Consumer Price Index and a high influx of illegals. It costs me the same to have my home cleaned and my grass cut (adjusted for inflation) as it did 10 years ago. The statement “illegal labor keeps costs down” refers to employer costs and not consumer costs. This is NOT passed on to the consumer.

49. monticup said on 8 Oct 2007 at 10:41 am:

Dan: excellent point. The illegal labor is an artificial mechanism for keeping costs down. It’s subverting the market. These employers of illegal aliens need to cut costs by making their operations more efficient by innovation. They’re just looking at the short run and in time will lose any competitive edge they have. Using illegal labor is allowing these companies to get fat and lazy.

Did you know that the agribusinesses could be more efficient by turning to mechanization in many instances? But that would require an investment of capital. Much easier to use illegals and pass the costs on to us, the taxpayers.

50. monticup said on 8 Oct 2007 at 10:44 am:

Bob Sentz: La Raza will not condemn that speech because that is exactly what they believe. Any disassociation will be for PR reasons only.

51. The Patriot said on 8 Oct 2007 at 10:52 am:

Monti, bob, the guys and gals from “You Don’t Speak for Me” talk about the true agenda of La Raza. Go find those interviews I posted and take a listen. I posted them a while back (a week or so ago).

52. Howard the Duck said on 8 Oct 2007 at 11:48 am:

park’d said on 7 Oct 2007 at 9:55 am:
    And as an addition:

etc…etc….etc…..

Great job this is priceless.

Now the next thing to do is ask the “candidate” if this is what Sacramento was like when she lived there.

53. monticup said on 8 Oct 2007 at 11:56 am:

Howard: Excellent post. Manassas is very important in this fight against the invasion. Manassas has become a household word thanks to you brave citizens.

54. manassascityresident said on 8 Oct 2007 at 7:38 pm:

HOWARD - SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO THE SUPERVISORS! THEY NEED TO READ IT! Excellent!