Colgan’s Recent Mailer Dissected

By Greg L | 22 October 2007 | 29th VA Senate | 84 Comments

Senator Colgan’s recent foray into the rather ill-advised false negative campaign strategy of the DPVA received some well-deserved condemnation today from Bob Fitzsimmonds.  It’s pretty amusing to see a candidate brush off these false negative attacks so easily, which really makes me think that Colgan must be getting awfully desperate to find issues upon which he can run.  Really, is whining about legislation that Colgan actually voted for going to somehow convince voters that Colgan is the better candidate here?   It just makes him look goofy.

Here are some of the bills that Colgan is using to criticize Fitzsimmonds:

The school parking lot bill (HB 2535) passed the Senate 28-11 and the House of Delegates 85-9 before it was signed into law by Gov. Warner on March 26, 2005. The bill was supported by all five Prince William Delegates, including Chuck Colgan.

Raising Kaine, in defending against a similar attack against Chap Petersen said this:

“It also accused him of supporting ‘concealed weapons’ in school, a gross misrepresentation of a law that passed the House of Delegates 85-9 and was signed by Governor Warner in 2005.”

Two other bills that Colgan complained about are SB 964 and SB 939 (both 2003) that were introduced and voted on before FitzSimmonds worked for Senator Cuccinelli.  One of these was a Leslie Byrne gun-control bill for Fairfax County that most residents of the 29th District would find appalling.  Nice pick, Chuck.

Here’s the statement Bob Fitzsimmonds gave today:

This campaign season the Democratic Party has created the most deceitful, dishonest and negative campaign mail in recent memory.  It has rightly drawn the attention and condemnation of local and state news organizations.  I believe the Potomac News has run at least two articles and the Post had a long article on the front page yesterday talking about the string of distortions that spread all across Virginia, but seem to be at their worst here in Northern Virginia.  Up until the last few days I escaped the string of distortions that were directed at many of my ticket mates.

In the last few days the Democrat distortion machine has taken aim at me.  In an incredible piece of mail, my opponent accuses me of being a friend of criminals and working to “allow people who have been committed to a mental institute to purchase guns”, among other things.  The hit piece notes my service as Legislative Director to Sen. Cuccinelli as proof of these outlandish claims.

Incredibly, it cites bills that were considered when I did not work for Senator Cuccinelli as evidence and even one bill that Senator Colgan himself voted for and that Governor Warner signed into law.

In addition to this mail piece, the Democratic Party has begun running cable ads accusing me of wanting to imprison women who have abortions.  These ads have been run against many Republicans in Northern Virginia and the only justification for these claims is that we are pro-life candidates. In the past Senator Colgan always claimed to be pro-life, but now he is running ads that say I am unfit to hold public office simply because I am pro-life.

This, combined with the similar tactic used in the mail attack is the height of hypocrisy and has absolutely no place in legitimate political discourse.  If Senator Colgan wants to criticize me for positions I have articulated or printed in my literature that is perfectly fine.  If he wants to review public statements and take issue with survey answers, again, that is fine.  But he is not doing this.  He and the Democratic Party are fabricating positions to advance their campaign with no regard for the truth.

This is the second time I have run against Senator Colgan.  In 1999 our race was issues oriented and factually based.  In our many joint appearances Senator Colgan stuck to a clear articulation of his views and criticism of my stated positions.  The type of distortions that are now coming to characterize his campaign are completely new and can only be explained by the knowledge that he is losing this race on the issues.

Let me be clear, neither I nor my former boss have ever taken a position that women should be arrested for having an abortion.  If this is what constitutes a pro-life position in Senator Colgan’s mind then possibly his party should be expressing concern about him.  The charges leveled in the mail piece and the cable ad are total fabrications and presenting them as fact is immoral.  I call on Senator Colgan to renounce these distortions, to insist that the Democratic Party of Virginia stop these attacks and stick to the truth.  I further call on Comcast to immediately stop airing these lies.

I am pro-life and I am an advocate for the second amendment.  I am proud of these stands and happy to discuss them.  I am not willing to stand by, while my opponent and his party attempts to parody my position.

I have very intentionally run my campaign on the issues that define the public’s concerns in this election year.  I have talked about transportation, growth and illegal immigration.  In my campaign literature I have described those things which set me and Senator Colgan apart on these important issues.  I encourage the senator to do the same.  I call on him to get his party out of the gutter and to conduct his campaign in a fit and proper way.

Thank you.

Colgan is now reduced to criticizing Fitzsimmonds for working on legislation that he voted for himself, and for legislation that Ken Cuccinelli supported when Bob Fitzsimmonds wasn’t working for him.  Is this all you have, Chuck?  How about we call this one early.

1. Brian Murphy said on 22 Oct 2007 at 2:37 pm:

Sometimes, and it doesn’t happen very often, incumbency is a mother…

2. Patty said on 22 Oct 2007 at 2:59 pm:

It doesn’t surprise me at all. Mr. Colgan has let power corrupt him. I’ve been witness to his sign campaign in my neigborhood. He puts his signs at vacant houses and homes up for sale just so he can get his name out there. He will do anything to get back to his precious position as Senator. Take a look at his vanity plate on his car.

He said at the debates he wasn’t going to make any promises that he can’t keep which means he doesn’t give a CRAP about your concerns.

3. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:05 pm:

Come on Greg, get real. I have gotton twleve negative mailers from Fitzsimmonds, all approved by him. Are you kidding me the Democratic party
    hits back and Bob screams dirty politics. Lets look at the facts in this campaign

Most of the time you are right on, but you are Tokoyo Rose for Bob Fitzsimmonds.

4. Billyboy said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:08 pm:

Dave Mabie called it four yours ago, Bob Fitzsimmonds only strategy is a negative campaign.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Dave Mabie)• Learn more about citing Wikipedia •Jump to: navigation, search
    David C. Mabie, a Republican, is the Clerk of Court for Prince William County, Virginia, USA. In 2003, he ran against Senator Charles J. Colgan for the 29th district Virginia State Senate seat. Mabie, a former Democrat, had stated that he would not run against a friend, but when Colgan waited a long time to announce whether or not he would run again, Mabie felt he had to get into the race before it was too late. Colgan announced his candidacy shortly thereafter. From the outset, Mabie announced that if he did not win, he would not run for the seat the next time around. Mabie narrowly defeated Bob Fitzsimmons at the Republican convention, claiming that he could defeat Colgan without personally attacking him. Mabie publicized the fact that he was a former police officer and military man, promised to make significant progress toward widening Route 28 and making other road improvements, and claimed that electing a Republican would help the pro-life cause. However, he was unable to overcome Colgan’s fundraising advantage, and lost the election, 45% to 55%.

5. Greg L said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:10 pm:

The difference here is that Bob’s critiques of Colgan’s record are well sourced and accurate as far as I can tell. Fitzsimmonds isn’t criticizing Colgan’s votes on bills he would have voted for, and he’s not trying to hold Colgan responsible for what he didn’t do.

Is anything Fitzsimmonds saying here inaccurate?

6. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:17 pm:

Anon3:05, I think you missed the point. Truthful negative advertising, the kind where real positions and actual statements are criticized, is perfectly fine and even does the public a service. Its not like a candidate is going to say: I raise money for Mexicans without borders, Yeah the schools fired me, I introduced a bill on the state song but haven’t introduced a single bill on illegal immigration, etc.

The problems the Democrats have is that they make things up. Even when they offer citations, it is for meetings the Republican attended, bills the Democat actually voted for, or bills that were never before the Republican at all.

7. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:21 pm:

Fitzsimmonds says Colgan took $60K from BIG DEVELOPERS. Here is the list
    of “BIG DEVELOPERS”. I am an electrician I had no idea I was a big developers, my neighbor the realtor didn’t know she was, my buddy the plumber had no idea either. According to Bob Fitzsimmonds we are all Big Rich Developers.

Real Estate/Construction
    Cement/Concrete/Asphalt $950
    Title Companies/Settlement Agencies $550
    Building Materials/Supplies $290

8. Billyboy said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:25 pm:

Toyoko Rose,

A Republican bill came before the Senate for a 5% Gas Tax in instead of
    the current transportation bill, which is a complete mess. The vote on this
    bill was 38 for 2 against. The bill died in the house. It WAS NOT THE “CHUCK COLGAN GAS TAX”. Chuck does not favor a new gas tax, he did beleive it would have been better than the 13 fee increases offered by the Republican lead house.

Bob Lies, he just does and whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

9. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:27 pm:

Billyboy, Can you cite bill numbers? I know it is hard for Colgan supporters to do so accurately, but please try. That way there can actually be discussion of the bill.

10. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:30 pm:

Bob Fitzsimmonds claims Chuck Colgan took $60K from “Big Developers”
    I am an electrician I had no idea I was a bid developer, my neighbor the realtor had no idea she was either. My friend the plumber was actually stunned to learn he was a big developer. We all want to know when we got so rich.

Real Estate/Construction
    Land-Use Attorney/Consultants $1,400
    Excavation Contractors $1,400
    Mortgage Lenders $1,150
    Cement/Concrete/Asphalt $950
    Title Companies/Settlement Agencies $550
    Building Materials/Supplies $290

These are the facts, half truth are simply lies.

11. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:43 pm:

Read em weep.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
    Senators to Propose Gas Tax for Road Projects
    Unraveling of Compromise Plan Feared

By Michael D. Shear
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007; Page B04

RICHMOND, Jan. 29 — A bipartisan group of senior state senators intends to offer legislation this week that would rely on a sales tax on gasoline to finance billions of dollars for road construction and maintenance, according to a draft of the plan, which will be presented as an alternative to a precarious compromise proposal for transportation funding.

Under the new proposal, to be offered in the Senate Finance Committee, motorists would pay a 5 percent sales tax in addition to Virginia’s gas tax of 17.5 cents per gallon, said sources on the committee who spoke on condition of anonymity because the plan has not been presented formally. That would amount to an extra $1.25 for every $25 in gasoline and would raise about $600 million every year.

Gainesville VA- With the price of gasoline falling , it is becoming less of a issue for Congressional challengers in the up coming election. This Wawa station has some of the lowest prices in the area, currently 202.9 for regular gas. It did drop below 2 dollas a gallon recently. photos shot at 5 pm shows the gas pumps full of cars filling up. (John Mcdonnell - John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

Online Resources

Post Coverage
    Key Issues in 2007

What Has Happened?
    Legislative Scorecard

On Transportation
    Projects That Might Advance

Transit Plan
    How Northern Virginia Voted

Latest Headlines
    Virginia Politics Coverage

Who’s Blogging?
    Read what bloggers are saying about this article.
    The Conservative VOICE
    The Mason Conservative
    Snarky Bastards?? Prepare to be snarked.

Full List of Blogs (4 links) »

Most Blogged About Articles
    On washingtonpost.com | On the web

Save & Share Article What’s This?

DiggGoogle
    del.icio.usYahoo!
    RedditFacebook

The idea has the potential to unravel the compromise transportation deal between Republicans in the Senate and House of Delegates that was negotiated earlier this month, legislators said. Lawmakers who were part of that deal said Monday that increasing taxes on gasoline is politically impossible this year.

“That would kill the deal,” said Sen. Kenneth W. Stolle (R-Virginia Beach). “It’s counterproductive and idiotic. It’s the same as doing nothing. As sure as I’m standing here today, that bill will be dead on arrival in the House.”

Del. Clarke N. Hogan (R-Charlotte) said his colleagues in the House strongly oppose higher taxes on gasoline.

“That’s just a gas tax by another name,” Hogan said. “It’s one of the least reliable sources of revenue in the last 20 years.”

The GOP plan that Stolle helped negotiate includes a provision that shifts about $250 million every year from state programs such as health care and education to transportation. Some senators, including Finance Committee Chairman John H. Chichester (R-Northumberland), say the provision would rob state programs of needed funds.

The tax on gasoline is intended to provide money to relieve congestion across the commonwealth without taking money from other state programs, said Sen. Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax).

“I want [millions] coming out of the general fund every two years so we can say we did something?” Saslaw asked sarcastically.

Sources familiar with the bipartisan plan, which was presented behind closed doors to Senate Democrats on Monday, said adding the sales tax to gasoline is the centerpiece of broader efforts to pump new money into the road and transit network.

The proposal also envisions borrowing up to $2 billion for transportation and imposing new fees on auto registration, diesel fuels and very bad drivers. The bipartisan plan would also allow Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads to raise taxes and fees for costly projects in their regions. The GOP compromise plan also has those provisions.

Kevin Hall, a spokesman for Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D), declined to comment on the proposals Monday, saying the administration would wait to see what is said at the committee Tuesday.

12. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:44 pm:

Obviously this is canned stuff being sent by the party. They are using the same ad all over.

13. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:47 pm:

Wikipedia, hahaha. There is a reason why my teachers don’t let their children cite that.

In actual media though…

“I would place a 5-percent sales tax on the wholesale price of gasoline and diesel fuel.”
    -Chuck Colgan
    March 7, 2007 Gainesville Times

14. same as 3:47 said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:49 pm:

You should tell Colgan’s campaign to cite wikipedia though, the students at Battlefield would really appreciate that!

15. slh said on 22 Oct 2007 at 4:02 pm:

I too am surprised at the tone of Colgan’s campaign literature. It looks like he has handed over too much responsibility for his campaign to the Democratic party hacks who have been so busy this coming up with lies for Rishell’s campaign literature. Until he announced, Senator Colgan kept saying that he was not going to run, that he was getting older and tired did not want to go through another campaign. I hope that his age or lack of interest in capaigning again has not contributed to the low tone that he has taken in this campaign. I have not seen the anti-life campaing advertising Mr. Fitzsimmons says that Senator Colgan is running, but if Mr. Colgan is now running as the pro-abortion candidate, I am extemely disappointed. Historically, Senator Colgan has been one of the few Democrats who has supported the pro-life position. That he is now attacking Mr. Fitzsimmons for being pro-life suggests that he has either handed over responsibility for his campaign to party hacks, or that he is truely desparate.

16. Clean it up in '07 said on 22 Oct 2007 at 4:36 pm:

Anon 3:30 pm —

You are exactly right. I just can’t agree that the Fitzsimmonds camp is only saying negative things that are completely sourced. You have just exposed another one of Bob Fitzsimmonds’ huge lies that he has been dishing out, but like the political “lightweight” that he is, he can’t take it and cries “foul” when the Colgan camp responds in kind.

Thank you for that excellent example!

17. Rick Bentley said on 22 Oct 2007 at 5:03 pm:

They’re both just trying to explout an issue they didn’t give a damn about 6 months ago. Though I recomend we vote for Fitzsimmonds as he got the idea quicker.

Look at the bright side. Colgan’s mailer is a funny excellent little artifact showing how much the issue cuts. I plan to post a copy or two of Colgan’s mailer around town to let the illegals know even the Democrat feels this way about them. We should volunteer for Colgan just to get our hands on that mailer, at hand it out at day labor sites.

18. Bill Scott said on 22 Oct 2007 at 5:05 pm:

Part of Colgan’s appeal in a Republican district was that he was different than other Democrats. Colgan always said he was pro-life. This last term he didn’t introduce a single pro-life bill, but he did give donations and his endorsement to numerous pro-choice candidates running against solid pro-lifers.

Check out Janet Oleszek’s website and you will she her endorsements include: Planned Parenthood, NOW, Emily’s List, NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia, several pro-choice Democrat office holders and CHUCK COLGAN.

This is the same Oleszek who was barely able to articulate any of her positions at her debate with Cuccinelli, but was able to clearly say that the biggest difference between her and Cuccinelli were their positions on “reproductive rights”.

19. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 6:36 pm:

I saw the TV ad but didn’t notice the abortion part. However, I don’t think anybody can question Chuck Colgan’s Pro-life position. The picture at the end of the ad is not the Senator and it says it was not authorized by him.

20. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 6:45 pm:

I have a stack of Fitzsimmonds leaflets which barely mention Fitzsimmonds
    at all. He only trashes Colgan. I personelly hate that type of campaigning however I did think it was about time someone from the Colgan camp hit back.

Bob Fitzsimmonds needs to grow up.

21. Billyboy said on 22 Oct 2007 at 6:55 pm:

Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 3:47 pm:

In actual media though…

-Chuck Colgan
    March 7, 2007 Gainesville Times

Okay , you site a News Paper which is no longer in business. Mabie did get the nomination because he promised not to attck Colgan with negative campaigning. Bob Fitzsimmonds has been telling half truths about Senator.

Colgan has stated he did prefer the 5% gas tax over the 13 different FEE’s
    offered by the house. Remember 38 of 40 Senators did as well. However Colgan did not introduce the bill. Actually Senator Stolle was leader on this issue. As you all know Senator Stolle is funding most of the Fitzsimmonds campaign. Bob should be careful not to offend the people who he has taken so much from.

By the way Senator Stolle was quoted in the post as contributing to the Fitzsimmonds campaign. Go to VPAP.ORG and follow the money Stosch Wampler and Stolle to Fitzsimmonds. It is truly amazing.
    Furthermore accoording to Delegate Marshall
    Senator Stolle killed a lot of illegal immigration legislation in 2007.

[Ed note: The Gainesville Times is definitely still in business.]

22. FHL said on 22 Oct 2007 at 7:06 pm:

Most of Mr. FitzSimmonds campaign literature does trash Colgan and besides that most of his literature is riddled with half truths.

23. dolph said on 22 Oct 2007 at 7:46 pm:

Vote for who you want to vote for, this is the United States. However, Chuck Colgan is not pro-choice. He is certainly entitled to support other Democrats who are pro-choice, however.

He also has not received endorsement from Naral Pro-Choice America nor is he on Emily’s list.

This same crappy tactic was played out on Harry Parrish who also was not pro-choice. Shades of Chapman.

Chuck Colgan will sure get my vote because he is an honorable man.

Anti-life? What an absurd statement. That just shows how little you understand the entire topic.

24. dolph said on 22 Oct 2007 at 7:48 pm:

For the record, I don’t usually say who I am going to vote for. However, in this case, I will make an exception, because of the lies being told a la Chapman.

25. Pat Herve said on 22 Oct 2007 at 9:30 pm:

I feel sorry for Bob - he is printing all this crap about Colgan - distorting the truth, but when the Democratic party prints something that Bob does not like (Note, the Colgan campaign did not send out the mailer showing Bob’s support of carrying concealed weapons into daycare centers) - Bob, again distorts the truth, and blames the Colgan Campaign. Bob should see his own ads - FACT - Colgan has gotten transportation money for PWC - 160 million for I-66, 220 million for 234, etc.

Colgan also supports education - George Mason University, Nova
    Colgan support LEGAL immigration - he supported legislation against employers for hiring illegal immigrants - is he also supposed to be the state attorney to uphold the law? get real.

Your beloved Republican party has been in charge for quite a few years now, why have they not fixed all the problems? You knock Colgan for Development - what has the state got to do with that? That was all the PWC board of supervisors and Connaughton - where was Stewart over the past 5 years when immigration and development were getting out of control? He was on the board, acting as the puppet that his is, just saying yes to connaughton. Did stewart just wake up?

By the way, as I look at you’all, I do not recognize many of you as American Indians, you better be carrying your passport as you drive around PWC.

PWC could have prevented the Illegal Immigration issues just by ENFORCING the laws that are already on the books - we do not need more laws, just enforce the existing laws.

26. patryot said on 22 Oct 2007 at 9:51 pm:

Pat: Excellent!. I agree with you 100%. The Republicans have worked the population up into a frenzy using illegal immigration as a strawman in order to get votes. Enforce the existing laws!

27. dolph said on 22 Oct 2007 at 9:56 pm:

I guess the Webb victory was a wake up call. Bush in the White House isn’t exactly the best place to hang your hat these days.

28. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 10:38 pm:

FitzSimmonds’ advertising highlights and cite actions, votes and quotes made by Senator Colgan and compares them to his positions.

Colgan’s advertising accuses FitzSimmonds of being involved in things that happened before FitzSimmonds worked there, bills that Colgan also voted for, and tries to tie positions to FitzSimmonds that FitzSimmonds does not hold.

And then there is the advertising where Colgan gives himself credit for things and never cites the bills thus making it impossible to ever verify.

29. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 10:38 pm:

Actually it appears the Web victory was not a wake a call. Had the Republican Party awakened they would not be giving Bob Fitzsimmonds $150,000 to ruin the reputation of a man as honorable as Chuck Colgan.

Extremist will destroy the Republican party.

30. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 10:51 pm:

Bob’s lies start with his Resume.
    He claims he is a “Legislative Director” read below and not the
    comments regarding Senator Colgan’s Reputation and Rating

FROM VIRGINIA FREE

S 29 * Chuck Colgan (D)
    Bob FitzSimmonds (R)

Chuck Colgan Colgan is a legend in his time, and is possibly the only Democrat in Virginia who could win in this Republican district. He has represented Manassas and Prince William County since 1976 and is the longest serving member of the Senate. He has amassed an epic record of bipartisanship and support for business with Virginia FREE ratings among the highest in the legislature. Governor Warner and fellow Senators persuaded him to forego retirement in 2003, and he won re-election with 55% over Republican Dave Mabie. In 2006, Colgan marked his 80th birthday and lost his best friend and strong political ally, Republican Delegate Harry Parrish. It was widely thought that Colgan would retire this year but he surprised the pundits with an announcement in March that he will seek another term.

Conservative Republican Bob FitzSimmonds is making his second bid for the Senate, having lost to Colgan with 42% in 1999. He is an aide to Sen. Ken Cuccinelli and a former aide to Del. Scott Lingamfelter, with endorsements from Jim Gilmore, Jay O’Brien, Morton Blackwell, Pat McSweeney and Dick Black, to name a few. This district voted 57% Bush, and 53% Kilgore. However, Prince William County, with 75% of the voting population in the district, gave narrow margins to Webb (51% ) and Kaine (50%).

Colgan’s popularity and record of achievement give him the edge in this race.

31. Bill Scott said on 22 Oct 2007 at 10:56 pm:

Anon 10:38- When has FitzSimmonds said that Colgan was not an honorable man or criticized him for anything beyond the legislative and political decisions Colgan has made?

Also, any Colgan supporters have evidence of the claims that the DPVA has made against FitzSimmonds? According to some of the pro-Colgan posters last week, FitzSimmonds and other Legislative Directors are simply glorified coffee makers, now it appears they are so powerful and actually have such amazing influence that they should be held responsible for votes (not even bills introduced by the legislator) before they were employed.

My favorite part though is that the Democratic Party is now attacking candidates for votes taken by their former employee when the Democrat also voted for the bill and that was signed into law by a Democrat Governor who is their presumed nominee for the US Senate.

32. Anonymous said on 22 Oct 2007 at 11:05 pm:

Aide is often shorthand for any legislative staffer, such as a…. Legislative Director!

Please use your pdf’s search feature, and tell me what comes up when you type in “Legislative Director” for the below page.

Next unfound accusation?

33. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 12:15 am:

There is no such thing as a Legislative Director in the Virginia General Assembly among the members’ staffs. Director titles are for some of the staff attorneys who draft bills/work on the budget — not the glorified coffee makers/appointment secretaries who have the title of “aide.”

Come on you folks — you’re not going to deny all of Fitzsimmonds’ self-engrandizement as he fantasizes how important he thinks he is at the General Assembly now are you? How typical that he even invented himself a title that doesn’t exist there for the job he was doing. Just another living example of why Bob Fitzsimmonds’ overblown ego has become his trademark.

34. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 12:43 am:

Clean it up 07, So I take it if you think LDs just make coffee and schedule appointments then you are aghast that the Democratic Party is claiming that FitzSimmonds worked to advance extreme legislation? Especially since none of the legislation was introduced or co-sponsored by FitzSimmonds’ former employer, two of the bills were before FitzSimmonds started “making coffee”, and another was so extreme that Raising Kaine defended it and Chuck Colgan voted for it himself before Mark Warner signed it into law.

Do-nothing coffee maker or extremist workhorse, which attack do you prefer today?

35. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 12:44 am:

36. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 12:51 am:

I’m not familiar with the mail piece, but it sounds like a stretch at best. Fortunately for the DPVA, Fitzsimmonds has put himself on the record on many controversial issues because of his overblown ego. He’s fancied himself as some sort of opinion leader for many years. They probably just wrote the piece poorly and didn’t make a correct footnote. There is alot of that going around in all the campaigns on both sides.

So…I choose the do-nothing coffee maker attack. If he was on the wrong side of an issue, it cretainly wasn’t within the parameters of any temp. job he ever had aroung the GA.

37. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 12:56 am:

“Also, I think I am going to go with a press release from the office in question over your blog comment.”

Don’t understand that one. What pres release? Which office?

38. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 1:04 am:

The footnotes were correct, all the cited bills concerned the the claim of what the legislation allegedly did. Now the claims were often incorrect (or at least according to the gun lovers at Raising Kaine) and then there is the whole thing where Colgan voted for one of the bills, two were before FitzSimmonds was there, and none of them were introduced or co-sponsored by Cuccinelli, but the bills cited were clearly the ones the Democratic Party was referencing.

It’s really ashame that the Democatic Party thinks Colgan votes for extremist positions that Gov. Warner was willing to sign into law.

I think you are right about it being sloppy, the Democrats are so hungry to attack Republicans this cycle that they don’t care what they say as long as they think it makes the Republican look bad.

39. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 1:13 am:

Well…..consultants always out-smart themselves with mail pieces sometimes. If it’s an issue where you have to “follow the bouncing ball” it can’t be too complictaed for the average person to understand. This piece sounds too confusing to be an effective attack.

Admittedly, I haven’t seen the piece…so my earlier comments were not based on it. I only attack on subjects where I know the facts. Legislative “aide” positions at the GA have NOTHING to do with policy or legislating and Fitzsimmonds has overstated (that’s being kind) his importance on the experience that he has gotten from being a temporary/part-time a low level staffer.

40. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 1:17 am:

This is ridiculous. Bob Fitzsimmonds is one of the most narrow-minded people running. His campaign has been almost completely negative and when Colgan’s campaign hits back once, the Fitzsimmonds crowd whines.

But let’s forget all that and be rational on this blog for just a second. For very selfish reasons we should hope that Chuck Colgan holds his seat. Why? Because the Democrats might win the Senate, and if they do, for the first time Northern Virginia will have the power in the General Assembly that its population and financial contribution deserve–the power to deliver on whatever issue concerns you the most, whether it be transportation or immigration. And why is that? Because so many Northern Virginia Democratic Senators will hold senior committee positions — Chuck Colgan would become the most powerful person in the General Assembly if the Democrats take control and he retains his seat.

For a long time Northern Virginia has been at the mercy of downstate Republicans. With the exception of Harry Parrish our Republican delegation was one of the most ineffective in the state when it came to delivering things to our region. Bob Marshall, Michele McQuigg, Scott Lingamfelter, and Jeff Frederick were back benchers, unable even to get many of their bills out of Republican committees. Marshall and McQuigg, in fact, were embarrassments, the butt of innumerable jokes and snickers in the halls of the General Assembly by their colleagues, valuable to them only as a way of maintaining the majority without having to give anything substantial back to Northern Virginia. Only Harry Parrish had any capability to deliver, and the right-wing nutjobs in Prince William County still were stupid enough to try to supplant him with Steve Chapman.

This is what the downstate Republicans want–they want to keep power down there and away from Northern Virginia. Don’t be stupid, people. In case the Democrats take the Senate, we need Chuck Colgan. Don’t blow our chance to gain some real clout by electing an ideologue like Fitzsimmonds. If Colgan was some left-wing nutjob, I could see the difficulty, but let’s be real. Colgan is a common sense, conservative guy, who isn’t going to go pro-choice or promote gay marriage. Come on, get real. Don’t be stupid. Vote for Colgan.

41. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 1:36 am:

“BOB FITZSIMMONDS WANTS TO IMPRISON WOMEN FOR ABORTIONS”

Wait, so what is Bob Fitzsimmons’ position on abortion, Greg? My understanding is that he thinks abortion should be illegal even in the case of incest and rape, and only available when the life of the mother (not her health) is in danger. So, if abortion is illegal, and a victim of rape has an abortion, then she has committed a crime in Bob’s world. Is your point that Bob wants only a fine and no prison time if a woman has an abortion? Because if that’s the case then most women who could afford it would probably risk paying the fine. Or maybe Bob wants to just the surgeon to pay the fine, or go to jail, and let the woman off the hook.

I mean, let’s get real. This link-in-the-chain logic is a lot stronger than all the links you make between crossing the border illegally and every other crime in the world. Seems to me that it is pretty reasonable to assume that if Bob wants to make abortion illegal, then he also wants penalties that will serve as a deterrent (otherwise making it illegal is just pandering nonsense). Since fines wouldn’t be much of deterrent, nor would just penalizing doctors (the back alley route would just increase), then the only real option would seem to be imprisoning the woman having the abortion. That’s the reality. So, you should have a headline that reads: “BOB FITZSIMMONDS WANTS TO IMPRISON WOMAN.” It’s much more rational than your twisted logic as to why Tim Kaine should be endorsing Jackson Miller. How about some consistency?

42. Greg L said on 23 Oct 2007 at 1:48 am:

I see Chuck’s campaign staff have decided to show up here. They can’t even settle on a screen name, though. It’s like the Ron Paul crowd, only for a a guy who thinks that “bringing home the bacon” means diverting taxpayer dollars to local non-state entities is the pinnacle of public service. I’m not buying it.

Yeah, Colgan has done such a good job for us that when he was in the majority in the past we got, well, not much. Now that he’s in the minority we’ve been getting, well, not much. If for some reason he ends up in the majority again we can expect what? Well, probably not much. He thinks the transportation funding formulas are fair, which favor downstate rural districts at our expense, and wants to raise taxes. Good job, Chuck. No, thanks.

Meanwhile, you tell us that our current delegation is ineffective. Frederick has gotten a substantial number of his bills through the House, Marshall got the Marriage Amendment passed, and Lingamfelter got legislation passed that helped ensure our security in the commonwealth. For “jokes”, they seem to be remarkably successful. I’d trade Colgan for another round of Fredericks, Marhsalls and Lingamfelters any day. If we were only so lucky.

But you go ahead promoting this goofy theory that NOVA is going to get screwed if Colgan isn’t re-elected. From my perspective, NOVA has been getting screwed, and Colgan is part of the reason why. Where the heck has he been all these years while we’ve been crying out for better controls on illegal aliens, VDOT reform, land use improvements and fiscal discipline? Oh, that’s right, he’s been working hard to ensure that he was one of the most successful legislators in getting state tax dollars directed to the non-state entities of his choice.

When it comes to Chuck Colgan, “bringing home the bacon” usually refers to how much money local charities he favors can get using our state tax dollars. Colgan isn’t the worst of the Democratic spendthrifts (except in non-state entity funding), but he’s certainly not helping the local taxpayers.

His statement that there are apparently no illegal aliens in PWC just tops it off. He’s the founding father of the “ostrich caucus”, that doesn’t even want to acknowledge that there’s an illegal alien problem. Maybe he should start knocking doors and start understanding what his constituents are suffering with. Out of touch doesn’t even begin to describe this.

Then there’s the “the solution to school overcrowding is more birth control” argument. Cripes.

I’ll pass on Colgan, thanks.

43. Greg L said on 23 Oct 2007 at 2:02 am:

I’m not familiar with Bob’s stance on abortion, other than knowing he is against murdering unborn children and would do everything he can to prevent it from happening.

From my perspective, each child conceived is a gift from God. I’m not interested in murdering these children, regardless of the circumstances. If you want to argue otherwise, fine, but I’ll warn you it’s going to fall on deaf ears for me. Innocent lives like these are not subject to the whims of those who place their priorities above those of their children.

My understanding is that Chuck Colgan is a practicing catholic who would feel pretty much the same as I. Are you trying to tell me that Colgan favors murdering the unborn if the circumstances are convenient? That would be quite a revelation.

44. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 6:14 am:

Colgan’s postiion on abortion is very clear. Unlike Fitzsimmonds he has a 32 year voting record to prove it. Colgan is Pro-Life.
    I am not sure about rape and incest and the morning after pill in the cases of rape. But he is absolutely Pro-life.

Having seen the ad, the picture and voice authorizing the ad clearly are not Colgan. It doesn’t appear he knew about it or it would not have run.

45. Brian Murphy said on 23 Oct 2007 at 8:18 am:

If Chuck is authentically pro-life then he cannot support pro-abortion candidates such as Rischell & Olesczek. He cannot support Saslaw for Minority Leader.

If his “seniority counts” as much as he wanted us to believe and he cared about protecting the unborn as much as he wants us to believe he would be on the Health & Ed Cmte and get some of the House of Delegates legislation onto the Senate floor. Instead he lets his good friend Russ Potts do the killing.

Best of all, how about sponsoring any piece of legislation in the last five years that supports a pro-life position. ANYTHING?!?!

Chuck talks a good game but allows his frat buddies in the Senate to keep his hands “clean.”

46. Pat Herve said on 23 Oct 2007 at 9:32 am:

First off, I am pro-choice, although I am anti-abortion.

Abortion should not be used as a birth control method, but there are times, that abortion is necessary in order to protect another life (both mental and physical).

Now, with that said - why should abortion be the litmus test? Is that the only issue? I think not!

Illegal Immigration - well, look at YOUR ancestral line - do you come from immigrants? John Smith certainly was an illegal immigrant. Is illegal immigration a problem - yes. How do you solve it - that is a tough question. Kick them out of the county - yes lets do that - now watch all your local businesses start crying that they have no more business. Watch the property values decline as more houses become vacant.

Who is illegal anyway - when a PWCPO pulls you over, how do you prove you are here legaly? Who do they ask - is that not racial profiling, unless they pull over everybody - think it through folks.

I just love it when I see all you guys jumping on the band wagon about illegal immigration, and at the same time, you are paying cash to your ‘landscaper’ to pull your weeds - you will not even hire a real company to do it. I love the irony - you want the illegal immigrant to not live here, but you want him to work on your yards.

Who is illegal anyway, just because they speak a different language (or do they) does not mean that they are illiegal - there are many LEGAL immigrants who are being slandard by your tactics - you Republicans are really tearing apart, not only PWC, but other areas as well.

If you really want to blame anyone about the illegal immigration problem, look no further than the Republican party leader - GWB - his friendship with Vincente Fox and he inaction over the past 8 years has really caused the II problem to worsen - think about it. When did the II problem really start to be a problem.

Anyway, if Fitzsimmons gets in, he will be pushing Amnesty anyway, as he has supported amnesty in the past.

47. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 9:47 am:

Brian Murphy –

Clearly from your post you have no idea how the legislative process works in Richmond. Senators don’t choose their committees….yes a senior member like Colgan can asked to be put on the Health and Ed. Committee, but then you lose a committee somewhere else. Also, most of the time during the General Assembly is spent wrangling over the budget. The Budget bill is also getting loaded more and more with policy intitiatives as well. Health and Ed usually tackles all the abortion-related legislation in one afternoon.

Have you heard of the Budget Bill? There’s a little thing called a budget conference committee that Colgan serves on. That is where 80 percent of the important work of the General Assembly takes place. That is how Colgan delivers and it will be a VERY long time (if ever) until a member of the GA from PWC makes it onto the Budget Conference Committee.

48. dolph said on 23 Oct 2007 at 10:12 am:

Clean it up in ‘07,

Perhaps some folks on this blog need a step by step lesson from you just how important it is to retain a senior state senator on the budget committee. I do not think folks realize how much NOVA money goes down south or how long it would take a junior senator to achieve the status that Chuck Colgan has.

Thanks!

49. Rob Smalls said on 23 Oct 2007 at 10:29 am:

Pat Herve,

You seem to be completely off your wagon as far understanding that this is about laws. If “John Smith certainly was an illegal immigrant”, you should be able to tell me which law he broke. No? You can’t? That’s probably because he didn’t break any laws, considering there were no laws in a then unclaimed and ungoverned land to be broken. To call him a certain illegal immigrant is to prove your own certain profound misunderstanding of this entire issue.

By the way, I happen to pull my own weeds. I do it poorly, but I do it myself. Nice flourish with the attempt at class warfare, though.

50. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 10:32 am:

Well Dolph…

I’m a Republican who is really digging in and fighting for Colgan because I have spent so much time at the General Assembly. I have worked for only Republican members in the General Assembly.

What Colgan does for PWC in Richmond has been vastly understated in this campaign, and sadly, Fitzsimmonds’ so-called Richmond “experience” has been grossly overblown to the point of being laughable.

I love my hometown Delegate Bob Marshal and Jackson Miller is already a rising star for PWC, and God willing will one day serve on important committees like the Budget Conference once Colgan has retired. But that would be over a 6-10 year process, so until then in the short term, our Republican delegates in PWC have ONE person and only one person (Republican or Democrat) who they can go to during the budget process on the Conference Comittee and get things done for Prince William…that is Chuck Colgan.

51. dolph said on 23 Oct 2007 at 11:08 am:

Thanks Clean it up. I do not share your politics but I do respect your knowledge of the internal workings of process in Richmond. Sometimes it is far more important to look at the big picture rather than minutia.

52. madmom said on 23 Oct 2007 at 11:57 am:

Pat Herve said on 23 Oct 2007 at 9:32 am:
    “—Who is illegal anyway -
    — there are many LEGAL immigrants who are being slandard by your tactics - you Republicans are really tearing apart, not only PWC, but other areas as well.”

Pat Herve,
    We’re not looking to blame anyone, we want the problem fixed. And the problem is real. We haven’t made this up or “jumped on a bandwagon” for our own promotion. And our collective voices are being heard, finally.

And don’t accuse me of hiring illegals to do my lawn work. That is the oldest Democrat whine in the book.

The only people who are ruining it for the legal immigrants are these invaders who have trashed our streets, degraded our neighborhoods so that now noone wants to live here, and have given a bad name to the Hispanic community. If you want someone to blame for “tearing PWC apart”, you can blame every
    one of these “hard workers” that have taken 2/3’s of my business, pissed on loitering laws, have destroyed the landscape of every 7/11 in No. Va., and don’t give a rat’s ass about my feelings. Their goal is to take whoever’s job from them, make their money and send it back to their country, living like rats in the meantime. There are 7 men living in the house down the street, and the storm door is STILL propped open for more.

THEY are the ones that have given Hispanics a bad name. Noone else.

Come live in my neighborhood Mr.Herve. Your tune will change pretty quickly and you won’t be so quick to shove that “poor illegals” crap down our throats.
    Quit spouting off when you don’t know what you are talking about.

53. Patty said on 23 Oct 2007 at 12:28 pm:

Bob is pro life.

He does not want women to go to prison for having an abortion. That is the bigget lie I’ve ever seen in my life and the one who said that will have to answer for it. Anyone who has worked at Crisis Pregnancy centers or have been involved with them know for a fact there is compassion and sympathy for those who have had abortions.

There is a scar (emotional scar) that is left when someone has an abortion. That is something that is ignored by the Pro-Choice legislators. I know two people who have had abortions who know that God has forgiven them and that we love them but they still carry the scar.

Bob is the most compassionate person about this issue. He doesn’t want to see women carry the scar.

SO, YOU WHO SAY THAT BOB WANTS WOMEN TO GO TO PRISON WHO HAVE ABORTIONS, YOU ARE THE BIGGEST LIAR THIS SIDE OF HELL FOR SAYING THAT!

I went to Colgan’s debates and I heard him from his own mouth.

COLGAN SAID THOSE MEN AT 7-11 ARE NOT HERE ILLEGALLY. HE SAID THEY WERE LEGAL. HE SAID THEY ARE ALL FROM EL SALVADOR AND HE CONVERSES WITH THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS. COLGAN SAID HE VOTED AGAINST THE QUESTION ON THE DMV FORM THAT ASKS IF YOU ARE A CITIZEN (YES OR NO QUESTION) BECAUSE HE SAID IT WAS TOO CONFUSING. HE SAID WE SHOULD INCREASE TAXES. HE SAID THAT THE GAS TAX SHOULD BE INCREASED. HE SAID THAT HE WASN’T GOING TO MAKE ANY PROMISES HE CAN’T KEEP.

COLGAN DOESN’T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE ILLEGAL ALIEN ISSUE. HE DOESN’T THINK WE HAVE ANY ILLEGAL ALIENS. HE SAID WE WERE ALL MISTAKEN. HE WANTS TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WE PAY AT THE PUMP WHILE WE SIT ON 66 FOR HOURS AT A TIME. HIS PARTING WORDS WERE THAT HE WASN’T GOING TO MAKE ANY PROMISES HE CAN’T KEEP. SO HE IS SAYING HE DOESN’T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT OUR CONCERNS.

I HEARD HIM SAY THESE THINGS OUT OF HIS OWN MOUTH.

COLGAN HAS BECOME A CAREER POLITICIAN AND ANYONE WHO VOTES FOR HIM IS BLIND TO THE TRUTH.

54. dolph said on 23 Oct 2007 at 2:08 pm:

Why are the abortion wars being fought in the election for state senate? Both candidates are pro-life. If you want to fight the abortion wars, fight them over the Jackson/Rishell election. Jackson Miller is pro-life, Jeannette Rishell is pro-choice. Abortion is a non-issue in the state senate race.

There are obviously 2 types of people: Those who want the state to make moral decisions for them and everyone else, and those who feel they are capable of making their own morally appropriate decisions without interference from the state.

Is anyone here seriously laboring under the misconception that abortion began with the Roe vs. Wade decision or that it will end if Roe is overturned? That will not happen. Women who want/need abortions will always find a way to get them. Women of means will find this task easier, while the poor, not so easy. They will continue to have unwanted children, anchor babies, etc.

Let’s just stick to the real issues in the state senate race.

55. Patty said on 23 Oct 2007 at 3:06 pm:

Read my whole post and previous posts. Everything I said about Colgan is true. It came out of his own mouth. If you want to continue to be gullible and believe lies and vote for Colgan, move to Brian Moran’s district and help him out because he needs gullible people to believe his fabrications. By the way you can take the Mexican and El Salvador flags that Chuck Colgan wants you to wave with you. Tell Brian you love him too! As you are passing through Fairfax County tell Connolly that you just LOVE cultural diversity from illegal aliens. Tell him that your man Colgan wants us to go to 7-11 and converse with the “legal Salvadorans”.

If Colgan was really serious about doing something about illegal aliens how come he hasn’t written a letter as a senator to the governor requesting him to enter the state into the 287g program.

IF YOU THINK COLGAN IS GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT ILLEGAL ALIENS THEN YOUR BRAIN IS DEAD.

56. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 3:31 pm:

Patty,

There are 500,000 LEGAL Aliens in this country from El Salvador, courtesy of the Bush Administration. It all happened on George’s watch. George is for Amnesty which is where Fitzsimmonds got his original platform for Amnesty.
    Greg L and Corey Stewart turned him around on immigration. My God Women you should no he told you if you didn’t like it you should leave. Now
    he says you misunderstood him and you agree. What is wrong with you.
    Does Greg have you drinking the Cool Aide? Did you ever live in Waco?

57. Pat Herve said on 23 Oct 2007 at 4:06 pm:

Rob Smalls,

Madmom,

Are you sure that the OWNER of the house down the block from you is an Illegal Immigrant - that is who your issue is with, not the occupants. What should the state do about it - the real way to deal with the issue down the street from you is to enforce Local Zoning ordinances, which already exist. We do not need state laws, or additional laws to do this - we just need PWC to enforce what is already there. And what is those 7 occupants where young 20 somethings (Like I lived down the block from) - do you think it is any better? At least the II goes to work.

What can the State do to help with illegal immigration - we already have Colgan sponsored state laws to punish employers who hire illegals, we have federal laws to punish employers. Do you really think that the II issue is limited to PWC. The real issue is two fold:

Here are some of the facts:
    many of those that we talk about as illegal, are actually here legally.
    We have supported the employer that has hired illegal immigrants (have you shopped at walmart?)
    Illegal Immigration is a National Problem that cannot be fixed on the state or local level.
    Enforcing existing laws would help with the local community.
    Where have the rest of our leaders (Both sides of the aisle) been the last few years.
    People were not complaining so much when the influx of people were raising the housing prices, causing a bubble - the real issue here were the bankers and mortgage brokers creating and accepting falsified records so that your neighbors could qualify for loans that they really could not afford.

Is II an problem - yes it is. Is Bob Fitz going to fix it - I am not sure, I have only heard him say two things about it
    1) Amnesty.
    2) I will fix the II problem - but I have not heard how. You can enact all the laws you want, unless you enforce them, it means little.

Did you know that Colgan funded $500,000 to the Manassas Police Dept for ICE training.

They are blaiming Colgan for Development - development is a county issue - Your Republican led PWC Board of Sup’s approved many of the developments that you are currently complaining about, and SHIFTED proffer money from many communities and redirected that money to other areas (robbing peter to pay paul). THAT is where many of our problems lie. But Colgan still tried to fix the Sup’s mess by getting funding for 234 and I66, have you been on Linton Hall Road lately?

Maybe Bob Fitz should send every citizen a poster saying - Illegal Immigrant Get Out Now!

58. dolph said on 23 Oct 2007 at 4:24 pm:

The reality is, there is very little any of the state and local candidates can do about illegal immigration. I have more respect for the person who tells me they aren’t going to make promises they can’t keep than one who promises me something that simply isn’t in their purview to do.

There are other very important issues out there in addition to illegal immigration. To me, it is important to have a senior state senator who works well with others and who will look out for Northern Virginia. The rest of the state is robbing us blind.

59. Clean it up in '07 said on 23 Oct 2007 at 4:52 pm:

Well Patty–

I still haven’t heard a coherant plan out of Bob Fitzsimmonds camp other than “me too” on the GOP legislative package. I also don’t see how he has the clout and respectability to do anything at all to help with illegal aliens. I guess I’m missing something here.

Please enlighten me as to what is so great about what Fitzsimmonds will actually DO to help solve the illegal alien problem the moment he becomes a freshman GOP State Senator.

60. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 5:43 pm:

Greg L, Patty, and other whatever you want to call yourselves:

Where to start? First Greg, you have got to be kidding! Chuck Colgan has brought so much back to Prince William in his lifetime that we could not explain it all on this blog. Let’s look at just four items you mention: illegal immigration, VDOT reform, land use improvements, and fiscal discipline. Illegal immigration did not even come on the radar screen locally until two years ago; VDOT was bleeding cash until Mark Warner with the help of Chuck Colgan reformed it; Chuck’s brought all sorts of dollars back for roads and other improvements; fiscal discipline!!! — are you stoned. Your hero Jim Gilmore practically ran the state into the ground and it was Mark Warner, Chuck Colgan, and like-minded responsible Republicans who dug it out. Putting fiscal discipline in a sentence with the Republican Party of the last 10 years (state or national) is an oxymoron.

I’ll grant that Frederick has had some impact, but it is all on non-controversial, non-montary items (e.g. more testing for newborns). Calling Marshall sponsoring the Marriage Amendment effective representation is ridiculous. We have serious issues like transportation, immigration, land use, etc. to address and he wasted everyone’s time on that and a bunch of other similar items! Lingamfelter spent time on traditional marriage license plates, naming Dumfries road, and blocking giving localities more authority to regulate land use. Please, get serious. Really, by their own colleagues these folks are considered a joke — go down there and watch how they’re treated by their Republican compatriots.

On abortion, what are you and Patty saying? You say Bob is pro-life, yet it seems neither of you really know what his position is. He wants to make it illegal, but without penalty? Really, what is his position? The truth is you don’t know.

61. Billyboy said on 23 Oct 2007 at 6:19 pm:

Patty,

Colgan requested $500,000 for 287g funding for the City of Manassas in the 2007 session of the GA. The budget amendment was killed by the REPUBLICAN leadership of the Senate. Facts are facts. you, Greg and Bob Fitzsimmonds ignore the facts.

62. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 10:40 pm:

By the way here is another Fitzsimmonds lie which Greg likes to help give life. The Bill regarding In-State tuition for Illegal Immigrants. Attached is information from Project Vote Smart.
    The Bill which Colgan voted for stopped most Illegal Immigrants from obtaining in-state tuition.

Bob Fitzsimmonds is attempted to smear Senator Colgan’s record. Then when the Democratic party hits back he calls a press conference. The Play Ground Bully got a Black Eye, then cried to the teacher. Grow Up Bob.

Key Vote

In-State Tuition for Undocumented Immigrants

Bill Number: SB 1204
    Issues: Education, Immigration
    Date: 01/23/2007
    Sponsor: Sen. Hanger, Emmett Jr.

Bill Passed (Senate)
    How members voted
    (32 - 8)

Senator Charles Colgan voted YES.
    Read statements Senator Colgan made in this general time period.

Project Vote Smart’s Synopsis:

Vote to pass a bill preventing undocumented immigrants from receiving in-state tuition at public universities unless the student is seeking citizenship and meets a number of other criteria.

Official Title of Legislation:

A bill to amend and reenact § 23-9.2:3 of the Code of Virginia, relating to prohibiting the receipt of in-state tuition benefits by certain individuals at public institutions of higher learning.

Official Synopsis:

Prohibits the board of visitors or other governing body of a public institution of higher education in the Commonwealth from authorizing in-state tuition rates for individuals who are unlawfully present in the United States. The bill also provides that, notwithstanding the provisions regarding the governing bodies’ mandates, any person shall be eligible for in-state tuition who: (i) has resided in Virginia while attending high school; (ii) has graduated from a public or private high school in Virginia or has received a General Education Development (GED) certificate in Virginia; (iii) has resided in the Commonwealth for at least three years on the date of high school graduation; (iv) has registered in an institution of higher education; (v) has provided an affidavit stating that he has filed an application to become a permanent resident of the United States and is actively pursuing such permanent residency or will do so as soon as he is eligible; and (vi) has submitted evidence that he or, in the case of a dependent student, at least one parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis, filed, unless exempted by state law, Virginia income tax returns for at least three years prior to the date of enrollment.

Highlights:

- Prevents undocumented immigrants from receiving in-state tuition rates at public universities [sec. A (1)].

- Exempts undocumented students who have attended and graduated high school in Virginia (or received a GED), have been accepted to a public university, have lived in the state for at least three years, have paid (or whose parents have paid) income tax for the last three years, and are actively trying to become permanent residents of the U.S. [sec. D (1-6)].

Full Text of Legislation (PDF Document)

Senate Passage: 01/23/2007 : Bill Passed 32 - 8

House Referred to Committee: 02/05/2007 : Education

63. Nunya said on 23 Oct 2007 at 10:50 pm:

The Route 234 Bypass $200 Million

The widening of Route 234 from Manassas to Montclair $125 Million

The Widening of I 66 to 8 lanes from Rte 234 to Gainesville $160 Million

The Widening of the Route 28 bridge at Broad Run $ 14 Million

(using state, federal and county funds)

The Widening of Linton Hall Road to four lanes $ 35 Million

Construction of the Commuter Lot at Route 234 & Route 1 $ 4 Million

The coming Gainesville Interchange $181 Million

Additional Funds Secured & Protected for Virgina Rail Express $ 80 Million

Having Colgan as the Senior Senator in the Commonweath Priceless

64. Greg L said on 23 Oct 2007 at 10:58 pm:

What a crock. Here’s what Chuck Colgan actually voted for, until the House removed this outrage:

D. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A, any person shall be eligible for in-state tuition who:

1. Has resided with his parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis while attending a public or private high school in this state;

2. Has graduated from a public or private high school in Virginia;

3. Has resided in the Commonwealth for at least three years as of the date the individual graduated from high school;

4. Has registered as an entering student in an institution of higher education;

5. Has provided an affidavit to the institution stating that he has filed an application to become a permanent resident of the United States and is actively pursuing such permanent residency or will do so as soon as he is eligible; and

6. Has submitted evidence that he, or in the case of a dependent student, at least one parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis, has filed, unless exempted by state law, Virginia income tax returns for at least three years prior to the date of enrollment.

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY A BILL TO ALLOW ILLEGAL ALIENS TO OBTAIN IN-STATE TUITION. That’s what Colgan supported. When the house removed this outrage, HE VOTED AGAINST THAT CHANGES.

Are you just uninformed, or willfully ignorant here? I’m really starting to wonder, as this is the third time you tried to mischaracterize Colgan’s actual voting record.

REF: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=071&typ=bil&val=sb1204

65. Anonymous said on 23 Oct 2007 at 11:13 pm:

Greg,

I don’t even know what Project Vote Smart is but it appears to be impartial. I don’t know what your talking about the third time. I am seeking the Truth and you and that nasty Bob Fitzsimmonds lie your rears off.

66. Don't hate said on 23 Oct 2007 at 11:39 pm:

The most important fact is that Mr. Colgan is going to whip Fitzsimmonds’ butt, so all your arguments are for not!

67. Greg L said on 24 Oct 2007 at 12:22 am:

Anon 11:13: If I’m wrong, I dare you to prove it. I’ve demonstrated three times that your characterizations of Colgan’s votes did not take into account what the status of the bill was when he was voting on it, when the interim version of the legislation was very different than what was originally introduced or what actually passed.

How about you start looking at what Colgan was actually voting for at the time?

As far as authoritative sources, you might want to start looking at the Virginia Legislative Information System which records what actually happened, rather than summaries provided by this “Project Vote Smart” thing.

68. Brian Murphy said on 24 Oct 2007 at 8:36 am:

Clean it, et al:

Thank you sooooo much for the education on the legislative process. I was totally unaware of how that cunfuzin process works until you enlightened us. Gosh darn yu shore is smert.

Unfortunately, in your zeal to prove Chuck’s importance you have highlighted a major point of Bob FitzSimmonds campaign. To wit: Chuck is unwilling to do ANYTHING to confront the broken status quo in Richmond. Rather than attempt to address the screwed up funding formula like Jay O’Brien has he takes credit for piecemeal gifts and believes that they substitute for principled leadership. I envision one of his frat buddies waking him up in the conference and reminding him that reelection is coming so he better get him some pork from the trough. Only problem is that he didn’t plan on running for reelection this time so the gifts are a tad dated.

By his own admission Chuck will do NOTHING to change the formula. He hasn’t even pulled the old Harry Parrish trick of submitting a sacrificial bill. “It’s too hard,” he tells us.

Finally, Jackson Miller is supporting Bob FitzSimmonds. Ask yourself why he might be willing to sacrifice so much seniority.

On the immigration issue: Only in Dem fantasy world would a vote for in-state tuition for illegal immigrants be contstrued as a vote against illegal immigration. Infreekincredible.

69. Patty said on 24 Oct 2007 at 9:31 am:

Anyone who supports Colgan at this point is blind to the truth. I know what I heard from Colgan’s own mouth and what you have said doesn’t counteract the words he said. Of course you just sit on your chairs and don’t bother getting off your rear ends to go to the debates.

Greg,

Are there any You Tubes from the Committee of 100 debate between Fitzsimmonds and Colgan? Seems like some people on this blog need to see them. But, I’m sure if faced with the truth they will still deny it. Of course they are Colgan disciples and if he told them to jump in Lake Manassas with an anchor tied on their leg, they would do it.

I’ve got to say I’ve never in my life seen such gullible people.

70. Billyboy said on 24 Oct 2007 at 10:11 am:

Patty,

I was there and I talked to Colgan about it. The point he was trying to make is we have 500,000 people from El Salvador in the Washignton Metro area because the FEDERAL Govenment keeps inviting them to stay, and MS-13 started where? El Salvador.

I live with this too but the reality is the Feds need to stop up the borders, and stop allowing disruptive people to stay in this country.

71. Billyboy said on 24 Oct 2007 at 10:17 am:

Brian Murphy said on 24 Oct 2007 at 8:36 am:

Jackson Miller is bound by his agreement with the Republican party to “endorse” all Republican. Greg endorsed Nichols and the party wants to throw him out. In Prince William/ Manassas Republican your forced to support extremist, it is very sad.

72. anonymous said on 24 Oct 2007 at 10:20 am:

The emotional rants from Naive Nellie sound to me like the pot calling the kettle black.

73. Patty said on 24 Oct 2007 at 10:40 am:

Billy Boy,

You just proved my point. By the way it was Jackson Miller who was instrumental in getting 287g to Manassas.

Greg,

If you can get a hold of the You Tube of the Fitzsimmonds and Colgan debate sponsored by the Committee of 100 and post it on this blog, it would open some eyes. The only exception to that would be the Colgan Disciples.

COLGAN SAID THAT ALL THOSE MEN AT 7-11 ARE LEGAL. HE SAID THEY ARE FROM EL SALVADOR. HE SAID HE CONVERSES WITH THEM. HE TOLD US WERE WERE MISTAKEN.

If you vote for Colgan then you will become an honorary member of Mexicans Without Borders.

Go ahead raise the Mexican flag. I’ve noticed some of them in Chuck’s old neighborhood.

74. former colgan voter said on 24 Oct 2007 at 10:50 am:

I was also at the committee of 100 and heard Colgan speak. He said that people who were complaining about the effects of illegals were blowing things out of proportion because illegals are not really a problem, that most of the people we see in front of the 7-11s and in our neighborhood are really legal Salvadorans. I assumed he was trying to minimize an issue that he has no intention of doing anything about. There are coherent arguments for essentially granting amnesty, some of which have been advocated by the Catholic bishops and by All Saints in Manassas. But, I don’t think that amnesty is based on the fact that all the immigrants are really legal Salvadorans. It was not one of Colgan’s sharpest moments.

75. Clean it up in '07 said on 24 Oct 2007 at 11:57 am:

Brian Murphy –

I would not have “schooled” you on the legislative process if you hadn’t made that post about the Senate Health and Ed. Committee that wasn’t based on actual facts of how the system even works. But I appreciate that attempt at responding in Southern “slang”..some of my friends say I talk like that sometimes. Of course it’s because I was BORN and RAISED in ‘ole redneck Prince William County…out on the ferm….in the tri city area of Nokesville/Gainesville/Haymarket…just a stone’s throw from Grinich (Greenwich for you carpetbaggers).

Why do you love Bob Fitzsimmonds so much? He’d turn on you in a New York minute if he thought it would advance himself politically….and I heard you may have some personal experience in that regard.

76. Patty said on 24 Oct 2007 at 12:35 pm:

Hey Clean it up,

Bob lived here too. I know because he lived near me.

He spends a lot of his free time active in church ministries. Does that sound like someone who will turn on you in New York minute?

77. Brian Murphy said on 24 Oct 2007 at 1:41 pm:

Clean it:

My personal experience is exactly the opposite. You make a leaping assumption about someone that you don’t know all that well, if at all. An apology is in order.

Back to the issues:
    The basic premise of my two previous posts remains unchallenged: Chuck has not and will not do anything to change the broken status quo on any issue because he is so completely immersed in the workings of the machine.

78. Clean it up in '07 said on 24 Oct 2007 at 1:54 pm:

Patty —

I hate to disagree with you, because I always seem to agree with your comments on this blog (the Colgan/Fitzsimmonds threads have been the only exception so far I think). But, for this thread you need to go back and read the post I was referring to when I said what I said.

Bob Fitzsimmonds wasn’t the one mocking a Southern accent and equating it with being stupid — that was an answer back to Brian Murphy’s little “cute” response. I’m not familiar with Fitzsimmonds’ church, but I’m hoping after the election he’ll have PLENTY of time to continue that good work there. I’ll leave it that and not even venture into such a sensitive area.

Now that I think about it, I’m not even considering the questionable stuff Fitzsimmonds has done to people (some very close to me) in my decision to support Colgan. While it is tough to put those personal issues aside, I base my political decisions on policy that I consider important and the ability in my judgement to get the job done effectively. Lord knows we have enough people in Richmond just taking up space and accomplishing nothing. So, I don’t want to lose Colgan who is in a position where EVERYTHING gets accomplished and it will be another 10 years or so before anyone from PWC can be in such a position. I’m not just talking about Seniority….that doesn’t get you on the Budget Conference. It takes ability and respect from your peers in Richmond to get to that point.

79. Greg L said on 24 Oct 2007 at 3:50 pm:

Well, don’t count on Colgan staying long if he manages to dodge the bullet here. I figure within two years he’ll announce his retirement, as soon as he can find someone to replace him that he doesn’t have a personal grudge against.

Colgan didn’t want to run for this seat, and begged Hal Parrish to run as an independent after he couldn’t find any Democrats who wanted to challenge Bob. Parrish wisely declined. He waited until very late to announce his re-election bid, finally giving in to the pressure he was getting from DPVA, and then did very little to campaign. Now he’s in a bind, and is even getting the Governor to come out for him.

80. Clean it up in '07 said on 24 Oct 2007 at 3:50 pm:

I don’t make leaping assumptions, but I sincerely apologize to Brian Murphy only that I drug you into a point I was trying to make. Glad to hear you only have lovely experiences in that regard. For me, I wish I could say the same and wouldn’t have made that insinuation unless I knew it to be true.

Shoot….I sort of thought I was sticking up for you because I thought you got a raw deal. I’ll refrain from that impulse from now on.

81. Colgan Fan said on 24 Oct 2007 at 6:02 pm:

Greg L said on 24 Oct 2007 at 3:50 pm: The guy is older than John Warner, who has said it would be wise to step aside at age 80. Anyone who thinks electing an Colgan to the Senate is going to prevent us from having to get someone working on establishing seniority in the 29th District now is clearly forgetting that Colgan is 81 years old.

Let’s face it Greg, Colgan may be 81, but he could out run Fitzsimmonds any day of the week. I can’t believe that you have the nerve to call Colgan’s campaign negative. I receive multiple pieces of mail from Fitzsimmond’s week after week and every single piece I’ve received has done nothing but slam Colgan. In fact the last piece that I received pointed out the age difference between the two candidates (although it failed to mention weight and cholesterol levels) and went on to say that Chuck Colgan is an “airline consultant” while Fitzsimmonds is a small business owner. I would like to know just how many employees Fitzsimmonds has on his payroll…I’m sure it could not compare to the 1000+ employees of the company that Colgan built and recently sold for millions. I also received a robo call from Fitzsimmonds begging me to vote for him as he called Chuck Colgan a liar at least 3 times. This type of literature that Fitzsimmonds continues to send out does nothing more than prove just how desperate he is…I can’t believe that a guy like Fitzsimmonds, who preaches family values, can look at himself in the mirror day after day. It sure is easier to attack someone like Chuck Colgan who has a record, than someone who has done nothing. For you and Fitzsimmonds to say that Colgan’s campaign is negative is just like the pot calling the kettle black.

82. Anonymous said on 24 Oct 2007 at 8:48 pm:

Greg L,

To your point that Colgan voted to allow Illegal Immigrants to have In-State Tuition in the vote on the bill mentioned above. What law exisited that was being overiden with the vote mentioned above? If a law did not in fact exist
    then the vote you mentioned clearly intended to prevent most illegal immigrants from in state tuition.

Patty,

Fitzsimmonds live next to Sinclair school on Garner, and frankly his house was kept like a junk yard. You don’t live near there best on the address you gave on TV

83. Greg L said on 24 Oct 2007 at 9:20 pm:

Just read original version of the bill. I gave you a link. The parts offset by the “notwithstanding” clauses are the parts of the bill that would have prevented illegal aliens from getting in-state tuition.

84. Rob Smalls said on 25 Oct 2007 at 2:26 pm:

Pat Herve,

Rob Smalls,

“You need to read your Virginia History books again. What is now Virginia was a claimed and governed land - you, like many other people, forget that the original American is now known as the American Indian. Our forefathers basically slaughtered them, and we continue to hold them down as a race.”

And, they did have a claim on the land (they are still in the US Courts trying to get their some of their land back), the did they did have their laws that they lived by.”

Show me precisely which laws governing the Powhatan Confederacy mandated controls over immigration circa 1600. Your argument is laughable at best.

As far as our forefathers “slaughtering” them, I suppose it’s inconvenient for you to realize that Powhatan expanded the scope of his control from 4 tribes when he was seated as the head of the Confederacy to more than 30 tribes by the time the English arrived. He didn’t do this with diplomacy; he was a conqueror just the same as you lambast the English for being. He made war on them and was defeated with superior technology, though not at a loss to the settlers’ numbers.

As far as continuing to hold the American Indian race down, that’s complete bull. I grew up in South Dakota, in the middle of Lakota country, and the only thing holding them down is their own decisions. I’ve seen Indians pull themselves off the crap heap and make better lives for themselves. To blame all of their problems 400 years later on the white man is an exercise in intellectual laziness.