Help Save Manassas Tuesday

By Greg L | 29 October 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Prince William County | 80 Comments

Help Save Manassas will have a candidates forum in place of it’s regular meeting this Tuesday, October 30th, at Stonewall Middle School at 7:30PM.  Come learn the details about what policies the candidates wish to pursue in regards to illegal immigration, and be an informed voter on November 6th!

1. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 11:44 am:

Ask all candidates to spell out what their measurable objectives will be to resolve our illegal immigration problem.

2. Big Dog said on 29 Oct 2007 at 12:16 pm:

“The whole aim …is to keep the populace alarmed
    (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing
    it with an endless series of hobglobins, most of
    them imaginary.”
    - H.L. Mencken

“Both Democrats and Republicans are guilty of
    mindless sports-fan behavior, rat-gagging gluttony
    for political office and ideology without ideas.”
    - P.J. O’Rourke

Based on history, most moderate folks and candidates
    will rightfully see the HSM Manassas “forum” as
    coronation practice for your favorites and a show court
    for all others.

Greg, you are smart and clever, but have never been
    “an honest broker” when it comes to politics.

3. Greg L said on 29 Oct 2007 at 12:39 pm:

Regardless of your opinion about whether I can set aside my partisanship, the forum is not being run by me, but by HSM Vice President Dan Arnold. I have a conflict this Tuesday and may not even be able to attend. You can paint this as a Greg L event, but it’s not.

The last forum in Woodbridge had both Democrats and Republicans in attendance, and was absolutely fair to all of them. This is about giving candidates an opportunity to get beyond the soundbites on this important issue, and if you think that’s not valuable, I wonder how you’ve managed to remain in elected office for as long as you have, Dog.

4. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 1:53 pm:

Help Save Culpeper better get cracking! I just spoke with a person I am screening for some contract work and they said they have a daughter who is afraid to go to work now due to a large number of hispanics loitering around the immediate area. On this note, I noticed yesterday that hispanics have been loitering around the Bloom (at 234/Hoadley) on a regular basis now (not shopping, loitering…watching people as they go in and out of the store).

5. Big Dog said on 29 Oct 2007 at 1:58 pm:

With all due respect Greg, some old fashioned folks obtain
    and maintain elected position by not using soundbites
    or attacking the integrity of others, but by doing their
    best to help their community. The late Harry Parrish
    was an example of that even though he was hounded
    at the end by the far right of his own party. Chuck
    Colgan and Jackson Miller are two others. Yes,
    politics isn’t beanbag, but we must restore basic civility.

Your blog often makes for lively reading, but don’t
    pretend it is fair and balanced. You have your agenda,
    some I agree with and some I don’t. (The push for
    the ICE plan locally has already been a great positive).

Greg, you are the key founder and leader of HSM.
    It is disingenuous to state that it, for good or bad,
    doesn’t, in large part, reflect your views.

Neutral groups like the League of Woman Voters or
    the PW Committe of 100 are, in my humble opinion,
    the type of organizations who could hold
    the best and most fair debates.

6. Dan Arnold said on 29 Oct 2007 at 2:07 pm:

Big Dog,

Just a point of clarification…Tuesday night is not a debate. It is a forum for candidates to get up and lay out their position and take a few questions filled out on index cards by attendees. As was done last week in Woodbridge, the forum will be completely objective and fair. A few folks tried to slip in some politically loaded questions and they were rejected.

Dan Arnold
    VP, HSM

7. es_la_ley said on 29 Oct 2007 at 2:21 pm:

“…I noticed yesterday that hispanics have been loitering around the Bloom (at 234/Hoadley)”

Where? I’m at that store frequently and haven’t noticed them.

8. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 2:35 pm:

Every time I have been there each week…..I see them sitting on the bench outside.

9. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 2:35 pm:

Not shopping…just sitting and staring at people as they walk in and out of the store. I am thinking about contacting store management.

10. anonymoustoo said on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:10 pm:

“On this note, I noticed yesterday that hispanics have been loitering around the Bloom (at 234/Hoadley) on a regular basis now (not shopping, loitering…watching people as they go in and out of the store).”

So? I’m a woman who shops there regularly. Am I supposed to be afraid? I swear, there are some of the biggest crybaby men on this blog of any blog I read. Oooh…Hispanics. How scary! If they walked over from the trailer park, don’t they deserve to take a break for a while?

Good luck with your meeting. I’m afraid that many of the postings here have poisoned the well for those of us who are moderate and independent. You’ll have to work doubly hard to win us over as we also routinely contact our representatives on the BOCS. HSM had the chance to help bring about positive change and more consensus in the community and failed.

11. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:22 pm:

anon…when they oogle over my family members….and then talk in Spanish…yeah…you better believe I have a big problem with that!

12. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:28 pm:

Oh…but anon….that is just “part of the culture” right? Something that we are just supposed to accept as “diversity”? Not on my watch!

13. John Light said on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:35 pm:

“Neutral groups like the League of Woman Voters” - OH PLUEEEZZZZEEE!!!!

14. anonymoustoo said on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:41 pm:

The Patriot,

I just find it funny that the language barrier seems to make some people think that the person they don’t understand is saying something about them like,” Man, check out the ugly shirt on that dude.” Or ” His wife has been hitting the Doritos too heavily”… Blah. Blah. Maybe they’re shooting the breeze about ball scores or just trying to score… Or maybe they’re saying, “One day I’ll be married with a nice wife too”.

As far as oogling…when I was young, I got plenty of catcalls from construction workers or men just driving down the road. Surprise…they were white guys! Yeah. It pissed me off but I wasn’t threatened by it…and I could understand the words. Some of it’s a cultural thing. If those guys at Blooms stay around long enough, they’ll understand that women aren’t impressed too. I’ve seen Hispanic women approach men like that and read them the riot act also.

15. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:50 pm:

anon….the way in which people look at someone…one can tell what is going on. Get real. No excuses!

16. anonymoustoo said on 29 Oct 2007 at 5:04 pm:

The Patriot,

Sometimes “yes” and sometimes “no”.

Since Blooms is the nearest grocery and a friend and I go there regularly, I would think we would have seen this behaviour but we haven’t. Don’t be a Hispaniphobe.

I see deaf people signing in restaurants. I don’t assume I’m the object of their conversations.

Would your spouse or child even be aware of these men if you weren’t so obsessed with them? Why are you spending so much time checking them out?

17. park'd said on 29 Oct 2007 at 5:45 pm:

Anonymoustoo:

From where I stand, HSM took the chance to help bring about positive change and more consensus in the community and succeeded. One man’s (or woman’s) failure is another man’s success.

18. anonymoustoo said on 29 Oct 2007 at 6:21 pm:

Park’d

My mother’s neighborhood in an older section of Fairfax County had a more reasonable and workable approach. I’ll bring the info about this project to the attention of our BOCS. Instead of splitting the residents of the community into armed camps, it helps to give all residents a sense of responsiblity as well as a say in how their community is perceived. It’s similar to neighborhood watch in that there are block captains responsible for communicating with their neighbors and encouraging their participation in community affairs. It’s more about consensus rather than divisiveness. It’s not that different from the tips one of your posters got from the local PD.

HSM unfortunately has taken an anti-Hispanic turn. I don’t need to hear the bull about it being “anti-illegal immigrant” rather than anti-Hispanic because the posts here belie that argument. Hispanic men at Blooms! How does that tie into anti-illegal immigration? There’s nothing to say that these men are legally here or not…just anti-Hispanic rhetoric. How do you know they’re not Texans?

I grew up in the 50s/60s South as the daughter of an FBI agent. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck. I know race/xenophobic rhetoric when I read it.

19. RACK said on 29 Oct 2007 at 8:39 pm:

to anonymoustoo at 6:21 pm

This blog is not a blog for HSM. This is a conservative political blog.

The simple fact of the matter is that the 1,000 + persons opposing PWC’s resolution at the meeting on the 16th were Latino. If there were 1,000 + Russians or Canadians or Germans or any other largely grouped ethnicity opposing the resolution, then you would say the PWC residents are anti-Russian or anti-Canadian or anti-German. We are anti-illegal aliens - not anti-Hispanic.

Take your accusations of racism and xenophobia and write them on a liberal blog where people actually care to read your right-wing views. If you don’t like what is written here, don’t visit, don’t read, and don’t write.

20. anonymoustoo said on 29 Oct 2007 at 8:53 pm:

RACK,

Make up your mind. Am I a liberal or right-wing? And I thought this was Greg’s blog so who are you to tell people where to post?

I’m just curious about what a few Hispanic men in front of Blooms has to do with illegal immigration.

21. Anonymous said on 29 Oct 2007 at 8:59 pm:

Big Dog and Anonymoustoo are correct.

As so many of the posts here show, HSM has taken a very anti-Hispanic turn thanks to the prodding and contributions of people like Greg L. and the Patriot. This was inevitable unfortunately, because despite having real potential early, HSM soon became nothing more than a bullhorn for Greg L. to spew self-serving, prejudiced garbage, alienating a whole bunch of us who were originally supportive. It needs new leadership if it’s going to be taken at all seriously after this election, when it is no longer needed by some of our elected officials to get re-elected. People like Lafayette seem to be nonpartisan and genuinely concerned about their communities. They provide some hope.

Greg L.’s brand of partisanship, however, is rancid and will eventually kill HSM. He won’t even tell those of us on his side the real truth. Take, for example, his commentary on the first HSM forum in Eastern PW. Greg says it went well, and yet he fails to mention that there was almost no audience whatsoever. Greg also makes a big deal out of both Republicans and Democrats showing up. But only one Democrat, Paul Nichols, showed up, and that’s only because Greg L. has been helping him by endorsing him and trashing Faisal Gill. Now Greg reports that Faisal is starting to pull even with Nichols. Why? Because Nichols has been running the kind of campaign Greg L. does on this blog–making stuff up and sending out terrible negative mailers. Now, even the liberal Potomac News is endorsing Gill. What is one of the reasons they cite? Gill has a solid handle on how to deal with illegal immigration and Nichols has run a negative campaign. Of course, Gill started behind the 8-ball because Greg L. launched vicious personal attacks on him long ago that had nothing to do with the issues, but was entirely personal.

If we want to make HSM a solid force in the future, then Greg has got to go. He’s untrustworthy and irresponsible.

22. Anonymous said on 29 Oct 2007 at 9:55 pm:

anonymoustoo on 29 Oct 2007 at 4:41 pm

Well, things have changed since you “were young.” You had a better than a 90 % chance that they would just LOOK at you. In today’s world and the individuals involved, I bet you have less than a 50-50 change of JUST being oogled.

23. Maureen Wood said on 29 Oct 2007 at 9:55 pm:

Anonymous, anonymoustoo-

When someone signs their real name and states that they are a member of HSM on this blog, then you may bad mouth HSM. Although some people on this blog do, NOT one person affiliated with HSM has come on here and bashed Hispanic’s. Have you been to one of our meetings? I doubt it. You would then find out what we do and what we stand for. And if you know those things, then you wouldn’t have anything to complain about.

I would love for you to come tomorrow and see what we are about.

24. Anonymous said on 29 Oct 2007 at 10:09 pm:

anonymoustoo on 29 Oct 2007 at 5:04 pm:

I bet you leave the front door to your house unlocked too because no one would ever think of coming in un-invited. That may have been true in years past, but not in today’s environment. It pays to be vigilant and know your surroundings. Live your life as you will, it’s yours!

25. Anonymous said on 29 Oct 2007 at 11:26 pm:

First, they went after the Muslims and I did not protest, for I was not Muslim. Then they went after the Hispanics, and still I did not protest as I was not Hispanic. Then they came after me, and no one protested because there was no one left.

26. Greg L said on 29 Oct 2007 at 11:45 pm:

That’s just goofy. Why would anyone try to equate reducing the number of illegal aliens unlawfully residing in our communities as “going after the Hispanics”?

I get the impression that your attempt to equate reasonable approaches to reduce the number of illegal aliens in Prince William County with ethnic cleansing isn’t going to wash.

27. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 6:38 am:

anonymouse…..I see and report only what I see. I cannot help it if the people that I see on a continual basis loitering at Bloom are hispanic. Funny thing is…I do not see anyone else loitering like they are. If I saw any other group loitering doing the same thing on a regular basis I would call it out. What you fail to mention is that we DO have a large influx of illegal people (and they just so happen to be hispanic…you can NOT deny this fact). Additionally, we do have a large number of legal hispanic residents that are “aiding and abetting” (which happens to be a felony….you cannot deny this fact). Furthermore, since these events (within the past 5-10 years) have occurred…we have seen a decline in our neighborhoods (you cannot deny this fact). By the way…why don’t you check out “You Don’t Speak For Me” (a legal hispanic group that is on our side of this argument) before you go spouting off your nonsense!

28. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 6:55 am:

And before any of you regular nonsense posters spout off and say something like…”but that organization is small”…..that should speak volumes and it also supports my point about those in our community who are aiding and abetting (which we all clearly saw during that vote on Oct 16th).

29. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 6:59 am:

“You Don’t Speak for Me” are True Americans. They have joined us in the American melting pot. Many of you nonsense posters are either illegal aliens, people engaged in aiding and abetting (felons), or are non-assimilated “imposter” Americans (that were either born here or abroad).

30. anonymoustoo said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:07 am:

Where to begin….

If Lyndon Larouche were head of a local organization, I’d not take that organization to be one that would be moderate and open to opposing opinions. It’s just the baggage that comes with having an outspoken individual with an established reputation in charge…and with Greg,that reputation comes from this blog. His is a view that should be heard but an organization is not going to be accepted by the mainstream voter if that view (right-wing) is the only view that is acceptable to members.

Things have changed since I was young and I hope they continue to change. I just have a hard time understanding how people can be so fearful in their daily lives. We live on the outskirts of an international city with all that it has to offer. I have my favorite art galleries and ethnic restaurants and I’m not going to let fear keep me from going into DC… whether to U Street, 14th St., the Mall, Bethesda, Wheaton,etc. It’s my opinion that one doesn’t get a second shot at life so I try not to live mine fearfully. That doesn’t mean that as a woman I have to live it stupidly or carelessly. Yes, I lock my doors when I’m here alone and when I drive at night. But the point is that I don’t stay locked in my house all the time or look for the booger man every time in go into Manassas.

The economic times (the mortgage mess and accompanying job losses) have made for meaner attitudes because I think that a lot of people are stuck in neighborhoods which they would flee if they had equity to access. I’ve bailed out of crime-ridden neighborhoods too…even when the interest rates were at 14% so I know the desire. But if you decide to stay in a neighborhood (and I’ve stayed in “iffy” neighborhoods as well) then you need to make an investment in it and you can’t make a positive investment in my opinion if your neighborhood is 50% Hispanic and you decide not to include Hispanics in your revitalization project. You don’t succeed by vilifying them and hoping that they’ll run away - particularly not in this housing climate.

And I’m still curious about how Hispanic men in front of Blooms relate to “illegal immigration”.

31. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:38 am:

anonymouse….the length of your post says it all. You avoid the specific argument at hand with a whole lot of “fluff”. I guess you cannot read English either? Did you suffer from our declining school system too?

32. Krutis said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:38 am:

A few old saws for Patriot, etal:

1. Faults are the easiest things to find.
    2. He who is wrapped up in himself makes a small package.
    3. It isn’t necessary to blow out the other person’s light to let
    your own shine.
    4. The person who knows everything has a lot to learn.
    5. A sharp tongue and a dull mind are usually found in the
    same head.

33. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:40 am:

Furthermore, anonymouse, it isn’t a matter that hispanic men were there…it was that they were loitering and oogling (and I have seen this numerous times)! So quit trying to spin your statements.

34. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:41 am:

As usual Krutis….you contribute nothing!

35. Krutis said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:52 am:

Patriot - Please see saws 1, 3, and 5!

36. anonymoustoo said on 30 Oct 2007 at 9:18 am:

So, Patriot, are you afraid of these men? Have you instilled so much fear in your spouse or child(ren) that they’re afraid to go shopping at Blooms? Are you afraid to say how men in front of Blooms tie into illegal immigration?

37. Mando said on 30 Oct 2007 at 10:21 am:

@anonymoustoo

I like getting out and enjoying culturally diverse activities like yourself - hispanic culture included.

But from what I’ve seen locally, this dark side of the hispanic culture as to how women/girls are viewed/treated, I want no part of. Things I’ve seen and experienced personally through my 10 year old daughter and my fiancee. Things that go beyond simple oogling and catcalls like you mention. And… 10 year old girls should NEVER have to be concerned about oogles and cat calls from men… nor getting raped in their sleep.

And I have to believe this is a direct result of hispanic illegals. Illegals enjoyed a sense of anynominity and immunity from the law due to being under the radar for the most part.

38. Mando said on 30 Oct 2007 at 10:23 am:

Oh… also, while I could financially bail from my community as you suggest, I’m not one to do that out of fear.

39. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 10:39 am:

anonmouse…I am definitely NOT afraid of these guys. I have enough training to take care of myself and my family if things came to that. Mando stated things accurately. I will keep watching and reporting what I see. Consider it a neighborhood watch that is mobile.

40. Dolph said on 30 Oct 2007 at 1:10 pm:

Patriot Patrol on wheels? Sorry Patriot, I couldn’t resist.

I have been at war with all oogling and comments at women for years. I don’t care what the race or ethnicity is…that behavior is just low class.

If the proprietor doesn’t run off the sleaze bags, don’t shop there. Call them and tell them why you don’t shop there.

41. Angry Blackman! said on 30 Oct 2007 at 1:16 pm:

I think what Greg is doing is what we need in this area. So we are supposed to just sit around and let the illegals run down how communities?

On another note, Walter Tejada of the Arlington County Board of Supervisors is telling all to vote and that you don’t need id’s which is news to me.

42. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 1:35 pm:

Angry, will they be sending people from outside of our county like they did for the Oct. 16th vote? This is going to be a cluster to say the least!

43. Vigilant1 said on 30 Oct 2007 at 2:06 pm:

Angry Blackman! said 30 Oct 2007 at 1:16 pm:

Appparently Tejada is trying to start something. By telling the legal Latinos that they don’t need an ID to vote is correct to a point. Every registered voter should have been issued a voting card by the State of Virginia which is supposed to be presented at the desk when they check your name on the rolls. However, if you “forgot” your voter registeration card and don’t have any other ID available, you can still vote as long as you sign an affidavit that you are a U.S. citizen and live in the precent. You cannot be stopped from voting as long as you sign the affidavit. It looks like Tejada left this out of his statement that “you dont need an ID to vote,” maybe in the hope that someone will start a confrontation. It would be interesting to see how many in his district (Arlington) “forget” their ID.
    Someone at the polls should keep track of NO ID VOTES.

44. starryflights said on 30 Oct 2007 at 2:09 pm:

If a group of people loitering around any business makes patrons uncomfortable, than I believe it should be brought to the attention of that business’ manger, as I am sure that he/she would not want to lose business over it. I know that if I were uncomfortable in this situation, I would shop elsewhere. I am also tired of how those that have had it with illegal aliens breaking our laws are always called racists or in PWC anti-Hispanic. It is a fact that most illegal aliens are Hispanic. I can’t change that, but they can…by leaving. It is illegal for an illegal alien to be in this country. It is illegal for an illegal alien to work in this country. If an illegal alien is working than they are using false ID’s and Social Security numbers. Illegal is ILLEGAL!

45. anonymoustoo said on 30 Oct 2007 at 2:45 pm:

Mando,

I believe most criminals try to fly under the radar whether they’re illegally in the US or just plain old US citizens. There have always been plenty of criminals, pedophiles, and rapists unfortunately.

While some Hispanics denigrate women, the same can be said of white male posters on liberal blogs or commercial culture in general. Even though an ad or two on tv may show some bumbling white guy being rescued from his stupidity by his wife, that’s not the norm in our culture. It’s still sexist at its core.

46. Krutis said on 30 Oct 2007 at 3:08 pm:

47. veteran said on 30 Oct 2007 at 3:13 pm:

Please try to remember that it is not illegal to be Hispanic, it is not illegal to speak broken English, it is not illegal to sit in front of stores.
    Folks that spout anti-Hispanic comments instead of anti-illegal comments are bigoted racists (and they know it).

48. Anonymous said on 30 Oct 2007 at 3:22 pm:

Krutis said 30 Oct 2007 at 3:08 pm:

What is so amazing about that? One reason is that both Argentina and Chile were settled by Europeans that the prevailing culture in both countries is mostly European. You don’t find that in the rest of South America or Central America. Women are treated much better in those two countries than in the rest of them. They are more independent so it is no surprise them having women in charge.

49. John Light said on 30 Oct 2007 at 4:24 pm:

anonymoustoo said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:07 am: “If Lyndon Larouche were head of a local organization, I’d not take that organization to be one that would be moderate and open to opposing opinions.”

Which is why so many people of both parties are flocking to Paul Nichols over Faisal Gill, spokesman of the American Muslim Council.

It seems that the two anon’s on this particular thread are only here to cause trouble. They state that which is untrue and hide behind anonymity. Come on, you two don’t have enough brain cells to make up something to put you apart from any smuck who logs on as anonymous…that way we know WHICH anon is posting at what time, etc.

Paul Nichols has NOT gone negative in his ads at all. Please point to one thing that Mr. Nichols has said which is false - just one.

Vigilant1 and Angry: Concerning Walter Tejada, I think he learned the lesson from Faisal’s 50-worst Convention and that if enough minorities stir the pot with enough older people (as tend to be the case with poll workers), in THEIR minds, hopefully, the poll workers will become intimidated and let them vote. HOPEFULLY this will not be the case, we will have to see.

50. John Light said on 30 Oct 2007 at 4:26 pm:

Krutis said on 30 Oct 2007 at 3:08 pm:
    “It’s rather amazing to think that both Argentina and Chile have FEMALE presidents! (and France)”

Since when did Nicolas Sarkozy get a sex change???

51. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 30 Oct 2007 at 4:34 pm:

People that steal social security numbers, identities, benefits (that are meant for legal citizens), use aliases, forge documents, etc. will not think twice about falsely filling out an affadavit. That requirement is a total joke!

52. Krutis said on 30 Oct 2007 at 4:59 pm:

John Light - I stand corrected. Thanks for your gentle comment. As you can see, even the sun has its spots.

53. Gone Fishing said on 30 Oct 2007 at 8:41 pm:

The Patriot, You are absolutely correct, people who are low-
    down enough to steal IDs, use aliases, etc. have not an ounce
    of compunction about anything, let alone falsely filling out an
    affidavit!

54. Gone Fishing said on 30 Oct 2007 at 9:04 pm:

Anonymoustoo, I have read your comments listed here and
    I must say, I believe you to be a very sympathetic and
    understanding person; however, it is difficult for me to imagine
    that if, suddenly your neighborhood becomes a haven for
    over-crowding and trash strewn yards, loud parties where
    dozens of beer drinking men (notice I didn’t specify “Hispanic”)
    loll around sans shirts, scratching their bellies and balls and
    finally collapse, in a drunken state on the ground, I suppose to
    “sleep” it off, you would be so sympathetic as you now are?

I have not joined HSM nor have I attended one of their meetings but it’s only because it hasn’t been convenient for me
    to do so, but that doesn’t mean that I do not support what they
    have accomplished. I am ever so grateful for the folk who have
    been at it overtime for all these months, Greg L, Patriot, Josh
    Lafayette and many others who regularly post here.
    Try to be a bit more open-minded instead of taking your set
    in concrete determination to take on HSM and those of us who
    are against illegals.

55. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 7:32 am:

Gone Fishing,

I have lived in a neighborhood with most of those problems…luckily the housing wasn’t as dense as some of the neighborhoods others live in. But when it has affected us, we’ve talked directly to the offenders. When that didn’t work, we called the appropriate county agencies and got results. The problems we encountered in the past involved public urination, trash in yards, unlicensed dogs, unpermittted construction, unlicensed vehicles, too many vehicles, barking dogs, drug houses, dilapadated and abandoned houses, trespass, etc. If the offenders were illegal (other than in the above violations), they were Canadians who had perfected their redneck accents.

I’m gonna touch the third rail here and say that much of the answer lies in properly funding programs that the BOCS passes and that means raising taxes. If you aren’t willing to pay for the glue that keeps communities together and healthy, then cope with the results. The glue includes police officers, building and maintenance inspectors, animal wardens, public health workers, park rangers and staff,teachers, zoning inspectors, and on a federal level - immigration officials…and all the clerical staff that backs them up. Sure, there are government programs that we all dislike and they aren’t the same for everyone. I’ve paid for schools (the largest bite from my tax dollar) without having children in them but education helps society as a whole. I’ve not taken advantage of any social programs but those programs can be a temporary help to those who need them. At this time I don’t need the programs that I used above to get my neighborhood problems under control. The selfish thing to do would be to say”quit funding them…most neighborhoods are fine”. But there are some neighborhoods that do need the added help right now and it should be there. My hope would be that the residents who use the added help realize that other segments of society could use help at different times and in different ways. What could be viewed as welfare for Westgate should just be viewed as what’s necessary to keep our county healthy.
    have programs that we

56. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 7:35 am:

Oopsies. An added few words at the end…

57. John Locke said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:50 am:

anonymoustoo,

Keep writing, I believe your coherent points mostly fall on deaf ears though. No one yet has answered your question “what do hispanic men, sitting on a bench at Bloom have to do with illegal immigration”. Greg L can pretend that this blog is not a forum for HSM, but really, almost every entry he makes relates to illegal immigration and HSM saving the residents of PW. I have heard children called parasites, ESOL students blamed for MRSA, and general degredation of the hispanic culture, call me crazy, these unsubstanited generalizations describe prejudice.

as defined in Websters dictionary :preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

58. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 11:39 am:

John Locke said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:50 am:
    anonymoustoo,

———————————————————————–
    it’s not that ONE bench, it’s the cumulative factor.

59. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 11:43 am:

anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 7:32 am:
    Gone Fishing,

———————————————————————
    What evidence do you have they were Canadians with redneck accents?

60. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 11:45 am:

TRUE AMERICAN

It is time to change from ‘You might be a REDNECK’ to ‘ You might be a TRUE AMERICAN! ‘

Only it isn’t seen as HUMOR, but the correct way to LIVE YOUR LIFE! If you feel the same, pass this on to your True American friends. Y’all know who they are…

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, ‘One nation, under God.’

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You’ve never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You still say ‘Christmas’ instead of ‘Winter Festival.’

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You bow your head when someone prays.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You’ve never burned an American flag.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You know what you believe and you aren’t afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    You’d give your last dollar to a friend.

If you got this email from me, it is because I believe that you,
    like me, have just enough TRUE AMERICAN in you to have the
    same beliefs as those talked about in this email.

God Bless the U S A! Amen

AND PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO SING
    THE NATIONAL ANTHEM IN ENGLISH.

=

WE ARE AT WAR

61. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 12:14 pm:

Enquiring Minds Want to Know,

“What evidence do you have they were Canadians with redneck accents?”

It was a joke. What evidence does Patriot have that the Hispanic men sitting in front of Blooms are illegally here? About as much evidence as I have that the rednecks trashing my neighborhood were Canadian.

John Locke,

I was at the hardware store near Blooms this morning so I did a little drive by Blooms…all the benches were empty, as usual. I asked a neighbor if she ever saw Hispanic men loitering there and she said “no”.

62. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 12:28 pm:

Patriot referred to the men on the bench as hispanics not beaners. He did not show any disrespect or bigotry as you did.

63. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 12:29 pm:

John Locke,

———————————————
    Well, there you have the definitive word!

64. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 31 Oct 2007 at 12:41 pm:

anonymouse…..why don’t you get your facts straight. I stated I have consistently (more than several times) seen hispanic men loitering and in some cases oogling at the Bloom in question (who knows if they are illegal or not…I never said that they were or weren’t). I have never seen loitering like this before at this specific Bloom in all the years I have lived here. It seems to be a pattern and coincides with the timeframe that the large influx of illegal aliens in our community started (within the past 5 years). What does it have to do with illegal immigration? Well, due to illegal immigration we have seen a large influx of primarily hispanics. When I typically see them while driving around, they are usually in large groups loitering about (7-11s, Stores, etc.). Funny, I don’t see other large groups of people loitering about. I have made an observation and have established patterns. I will continue to report any findings I see. I cannot help it if they are hispanics. That is just the only group of people I see doing this. I wouldn’t want any group of people doing this.

65. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 1:17 pm:

The Patriot,

Do you live in the Independent Hill area? My neighbors and I (who do live there) haven’t seen this problem. Occasionally there will be several men at the 7-11 at Purcell but nothing really unusual. When you state that there are men loitering at Blooms as though it’s a common sight, I’m tempted to quote a truncated phrase of Stan Freberg’s with a nod to Governor Arnie…”Just the facts, girly ma’am”.

66. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 31 Oct 2007 at 1:27 pm:

Yes, I live in that immediate area. I shop at Bloom all the time. I report exactly what I see with my own eyes. Sorry if that inconveniences you and you making your point, however, I will continue to report my findings. I have family that shop there all the time and report the same things too. The truth hurts sometimes. I consider what I am doing as a mobile neighborhood watch.

67. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 31 Oct 2007 at 1:29 pm:

anonymous…why do you suppose businesses have “no loitering” signs?

68. PWCDemVoter said on 31 Oct 2007 at 1:51 pm:

Jeez. I’m at that Bloom and the Woodbine Shopping Center just about every day. I’ve never seen any group of Hispanic men loitering outside. Not once. And I’ve lived here long enough to have seen Blooms previous incarnations as a Food Lion and the Woodbine Market.

I’m much more annoyed by the actual Bloom workers (none of whom has been Hispanic) who take their breaks on those same benches and smoke their cigarettes. I hate having to drag my kids through their toxic smoke haze. Same goes for the Dominos Pizza Workers.

69. PWCDemVoter said on 31 Oct 2007 at 1:55 pm:

Now that I think about it, perhaps I should form a coalition..Help Save Manassas from Cigarette Smokers.

Cry babies is the best description yet I’ve seen of the men who post here.

70. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 1:56 pm:

Patriot,

I’ll report also…unbiasedly too.

There have been “no loitering” signs at shopping centers for as long as I can remember…although I don’t remember them being aimed at Hispanic men in particular. There are also “no skateboarding” and “we are not responsible for damage done by shopping carts” signs as well. Big Mama is looking out for all of us . Ha ha…more a disclaimer for responsibilty on the part of the merchants.

What time of day do you see these men? I’ll even go looking for them occasionally at your preferred hour.

I guess all my female neighbors that I’ve talked to haven’t seen this problem and most of the men I know are manly-man as it doesn’t appear to bother them if they’ve seen it. (And they haven’t said that they have seen it.)

71. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 2:14 pm:

PWCDemVoter - You must be one beastly looking female if the hispanics haven’t cat-called you!!

72. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 2:38 pm:

Enquiring Minds Want to Know,

It’s hard to be cat-called by imaginary men. But it’s easy to spot an oinker /Hispanophobe when you read one.

73. Gone Fishing said on 31 Oct 2007 at 2:55 pm:

Enquiring Minds @11:45

I am proud to announce that “I am a proud American” for
    I adhere to all your requirements!
    God Bless the USA, love it or leave it!!

74. veteran said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:07 pm:

I’m 85% true American and 15% American individual who thinks for himself.

75. starryflights said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:30 pm:

I am hearing reports of groups of men loitering around libraries. This worries me, since so many children are dropped off to study, while their parents do errands.

76. PWCDemVoter said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:31 pm:

Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 31 Oct 2007 at 2:14 pm:

Well, snap! I guess you told me! I just love the level of intelligent discourse on this site. Props to you all.

77. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:33 pm:

anonymous….now your true colors come out! Why don’t you read what you wrote! Additionally, why don’t you read what I wrote. Nothing was derogatory. You are spinning tales. I stated the true facts as I actually saw them with my own eyes (and I do NOT wear glasses nor do I need them) and heard them. As far as I am concerned, I am not at all afraid. However, if I am not present, I am looking out for my family members (I guess something you don’t seem to take responsibility for…or perhaps you have no family members?). Being at the market is one thing (if you are shopping and not causing trouble). Loitering and oogling are a major problem in my book.

78. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:41 pm:

Patriot,

So tell me what time I should look for these men. I never see them. When should I look?

79. anonymoustoo said on 31 Oct 2007 at 5:55 pm:

Update…I just returned from picking up some items at Woodbine Shopping Center. No one was on the benches in front of Blooms. One white kid was skateboarding near Curves. Two white women were loitering…er, eating…in front of Burger Boys (?) and two white teenage girls were sitting on the wall near the hardware store. None of the women looked scared. No Hispanic males were in sight. My timing must suck.

Why are benches there if not to sit in?

80. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 1 Nov 2007 at 9:37 am:

anonymous….do you really think (in your little illogical mind) that one could predict when loitering people will be present on any given day??? Really, you are ridiculous. I will no longer be entertaining your nonsense (because it is a waste of MY time). But what I will do….is to continue reporting what I see. Have a great day!