Bloomberg Coming To Lecture Us On Gun Control

By Greg L | 31 October 2007 | Virginia Senate | 32 Comments

Jeannemarie Devolites Davis is pulling out all the stops to get re-elected, as a candidate should who is in a tight race. Not all of those need to get pulled, though, and this one is a particularly dumb move.

Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York City who decided it would be a good idea to send people to Virginia in order to attempt to conduct straw purchases of firearms — a misguided at best notion that was strongly batted down by Attorney General Bob McDonnell and the General Assembly this year — is coming to Jeannemarie’s district to campaign for her tomorrow. The topic will predictably focus on during his visit is “gun control”. It was bad enough that Jeannemarie abandoned our Second Amendment rights in her quest to retain her seat, but bringing Michael Bloomberg down to tell Virginians what our laws regarding firearms should be is an outrage.

It’s too bad that Bob McDonnell is out of the country and won’t have an opportunity to confront Bloomberg, or respond to what will certainly be a series of unfounded attacks on the liberties carefully protected by Virginians. One might suspect that the timing of this visit is designed to deliberately preclude such a possibility, demonstrating the gutlessness of those who hold dear the notion that the way to protect citizens from violence is to ensure that they are fully disarmed when confronting it.

I can’t wait until Jeannemarie finally announces that she’s becoming a liberal Democrat.

UPDATE: The Associated Press has the full story, and this part I found fascinating:

The billionaire mayor who last June dropped his Republican affiliation to become an independent, has not even met Devolites Davis, but has known her husband, U.S. Rep. Thomas M. Davis, for years.

NLS has a post up on this (big surprise, he’s working for Chappie), but the comments in that thread are hilarious. I particularly enjoyed “[Jeannemarie] would be better off if she had Ronald McDonald, possibly even Grimace, coming to help out. At least that way some kids may drag voting parents to see him.”

If the fishing in this district is halfway decent on November 6th, it’s going to be really hard to find a spot in the local streams in this Senate District as conservatives are going to be shoulder-to-shoulder on the riverbanks. If Bloomberg’s visit hadn’t been scheduled at Dulles Airport, they’d probably otherwise attending it while open-carrying their favorite pistols. Can you imagine how Bloomberg would start stuttering and stammering in the presence of Virginians who exercise constitutionally protected rights that are wrongly denied to New Yorkers?

1. General Turgidson said on 31 Oct 2007 at 5:36 pm:

Thanks for the heads up. I will be watching for them as I am her
    District. (unfortunately)

2. Matthew said on 31 Oct 2007 at 6:34 pm:

I hope you come out for a blog party one night again, BVBL… I’m disappointed I missed the last one… you’re a good blogger… very good… even though I disagree with most of your priorities, I do agree with you that Virginia should run it’s own state.

3. Retiredwildgoose said on 31 Oct 2007 at 6:53 pm:

4. Bryan J. Scrafford said on 31 Oct 2007 at 7:03 pm:

The timing of this event is kind of interesting because it seems like bringing in some big name from out of state would be more useful to perhaps bring in some big donations (which requires time for planning how to effectively put that money to use) and perhaps build a long term PR thing of “see, my candidacy is so important that even Bloomberg came down to help out.”

As it stands now, I think the only really productive thing the event might get JMDD some media attention. But even that would only put a small dent in all the negative publicity she’s received in recent weeks.

5. Thumper said on 31 Oct 2007 at 7:33 pm:

When is this event Greg?

6. Dennis said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:09 pm:

I would think the job of running New York would keep someone busy for years without a break.

7. One Voice said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:12 pm:

So if someone came into our neighborhood doing something illegal with resources from another jurisdiction - what would we do here in PWC?

8. es_la_ley said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:51 pm:

Retiredwildgoose: “I hope the NRA plans some trips to “New York City” (imagine the tone from that Picante taco sauce commercial) to discuss the virtues of an armed society… an armed society is a polite society.”

I 2nd (amendment) that! :-)

9. es_la_ley said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:58 pm:

One Voice: “According to the suit filed in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, New York police recovered 22 guns between 1994 and 2002, including some used in homicides, that they said were sold by Bob Moate’s (in VA).”

22 guns in 8 years!? That’s less than 3 guns per year. Wow! That’s a serious gun-runner!

10. Retiredwildgoose said on 31 Oct 2007 at 9:45 pm:

New York is one of those towns where only the bad guys have guns.

11. Vigilant1 said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:14 pm:

Can we expect to see Elliot Spitzer tour our DMV offices soon?

12. One Voice said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:21 pm:

es-ta-lay.

Just an observation on how people react when bad things happen in their neighborhood which are fiananced or supported by someone else’s. :(

13. Thumper said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:48 pm:

3 guns a year compared to hundreds he sells yearly.

That’s like blaming Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax for someone who gets drunk and kills somebody. He sells a legit product that may or may not be used properly. Unlike the illegal drugs that come from New York to Virginia.

14. One Voice said on 1 Nov 2007 at 10:57 am:

Good analogy. I am not opposed to the sale of guns as long as it’s done legally, which hopefully it is with Mr. Moates. However, innocent folks on the lousy receiving end of any gun sale do not agree. I have yet to hear of a victim who supports legal or illegal gun sales. As those number climb, and they are, this will continue. Gun checks can pick off the criminal, but can’t pick off the nutcase or the parent who gives them to nutcase kids. Criminals killing criminals doesn’t bother me like nutcases killing multiple folks at once or even one. We need to reverse the early 80’s decisions on institutions and get these folks back under lock and key.

He’s probably just making an unpopular stand for a particular group of constituants. You will admit that between licenses and guns VA does have an interesting reputation?

15. Enquiring Minds Want to Know said on 1 Nov 2007 at 11:24 am:

One Voice said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:21 pm:

———————————————————————
    Exactly, just like we feel about how Mexico finances and supports their citizens to break our laws.

16. M_City said on 1 Nov 2007 at 12:49 pm:

I know many conservatives that are voting against Davis soley on the gun issue. She and her husband are RINOs.

17. mjh said on 1 Nov 2007 at 1:18 pm:

One Voice, you said: “I have yet to hear of a victim who supports legal or illegal gun sales. As those number climb, and they are, this will continue. ”

Victims are rarely used by pro-gun organizations to promote legal gun sales; while they are certainly used by anti-gun organizations to argue against ANY (legal or illegal) gun sales…

Have you considered that perhaps you haven’t heard of a victim who supports legal or illegal gun sales because those who do support legal gun sales are less likely to be victims than those who do not?

18. One Voice said on 1 Nov 2007 at 3:52 pm:

Most shooters will only hit center body mass 17% of the time. No, I can’t prove that but I do recall reading that - not a political twist that I recall. Actually, I believe it was a self-defense article that included handgun training - so it was not a marketing ploy.

Regarding victims, I cannot imagine how your kalaidascope changes when you become one, I would not presume to comment on what they do or if they allow themselves to be used.

19. Hoot said on 1 Nov 2007 at 5:10 pm:

I absolutely agree that we must preserve our freedoms and liberties at all costs. They are the cornerstone of our culture. But why then, did we all just rally to support a resolution that robs us all of the right to cross the street with having to carry “Official Documentation establishing our Lawful presence”. Wasn’t it truly bizarre to have shamerican after shamerican crawl up to the podium on their knees on Oct 16 and blubber their thanks to Corey Stewart for taking away some of their freedom in exchange for a little bit of security.
    Now that we are all required to walk around (essentially stamped like cattle) as if we were all criminals on parole, over time we will become accustomed to being “Guilty until proven Innocent”. For our children, this will be the accepted way of life they are born into (remember Corey Stewart said it would take 30 years for this resolution to work) and our children will NOT know that life was ever any other way just like the ‘progressive’ kids of europe who, for all their intelligence, do not have the freedom to think for themselves.
    Then the worst will happen…Hillary will ascend to the most powerful office in the history of mankind. Since we will all be required to carry ID with us everywhere we go, how long before she institutes a national ID card and justifies it by saying “it will cut costs if we use the same card”, “it’s safer this way” (sounds alot like corey stewart. lesson here: big government is big government and it is always a threat to our liberties). How long after that till Hillary starts using these cards to keep track of all of our political affiliations. Then, perhaps, Hillary will find a way to target the children of conservatives for extra special attention in our public schools. Remember, Hillary believes everything is a right wing conspiracy.

The principle here is the same it’s always been. Those who sacrifice liberty for security lose both. Tell me that’s not what we did on Oct 16…

20. One Voice said on 1 Nov 2007 at 5:35 pm:

I wouldn’t worry about Hilary, she doesn’t follow through on anything.

If there were better laws regarding obtaining a driver’s license, entering schools or getting jobs requiring proof of citizenship we wouldn’t have to walk around with stamps or papers. This is a case of addressing the issues instead of the problem.

HSM should really focus on the Legislature this winter and make them pass some of these laws so things are properly, effectively and efficiently handled at the front end of the situation instead of in the middle or at the end.

The federal legislators can make decisions about war and the lives of thousands of American soldiers/marines in 20 minutes. They can handle this if they are forced to.

HSM and others need to push state legislatures and then push congress. Keep it up!!! I want to walk around freely and without a wallet or pocketbook!!!!

21. Hoot said on 1 Nov 2007 at 5:46 pm:

If Hillary doesn’t follow through on something its because she didn’t have the power to do so. She would have rammed HillaryCare down our throats if she could have.

The point is you have just GIVEN her the power to follow through. DUH!

“If there were better laws regarding…” OMFG! Haven’t you heard a word I said? Now you want more laws?

22. Nakedshoplifter said on 1 Nov 2007 at 6:19 pm:

I don’t shoot center of mass, I aim for the left eye.

23. es_la_ley said on 1 Nov 2007 at 6:40 pm:

One Voice: “Guess it depends if was your or yours on the receiving end of one of those three guns per year. WOW. That might just be serious enough to others angry. Guess it wouldn’t make you angry.”

The perp would make me angry, not the gun. He perp could use a shank, nunchakus, ice pick. etc. Ban those as well?
    BTW, I have been on the bad end of a gun. The only thing that made me angry was that I, at that time, couldn’t own one as well.

24. es_la_ley said on 1 Nov 2007 at 7:00 pm:

One Voice: “Most shooters will only hit center body mass 17% of the time. ”

They need more practice at the firing range! Head shots are effective as well (though not center-mass). ;)

“When Reagan’s press secretary became actively opposed to certain gun issues, I figured out that victims do things that they might never have considered previously.”

Good point. I truly wonder what the result would be if someone surveyed victims of muggings and asked them something like “Now that you’ve been mugged, what will you do?”

a) lobby for gun control
    b) get a gun, learn to use it safely so I can defend against future crimes against my person

I wonder if anyone has done such a thing.

25. One Voice said on 1 Nov 2007 at 7:18 pm:

You are being ridiculous. You know that’t not what I mean. I have not said I would ban guns. I said I understand what and why Bloomberg is doing that’s all.

Pass.

26. Vigilant1 said on 1 Nov 2007 at 9:15 pm:

Hoot on 1 Nov 2007 at 5:10 pm:

A National ID card would solve a lot of our present illegal alien problems. What’s the big deal with being required to have one? You have to have a driver’s license to drive (most people anyway,) you have to have a passport to travel most places outside of the U.S. (most people anyway,) and you need a SSN to work (most people anyway.) So what’s the big deal?

27. Anonymous said on 1 Nov 2007 at 9:17 pm:

Hoot said on 1 Nov 2007 at 5:10 pm:

You are paranoid!

28. Bass Ackwards said on 2 Nov 2007 at 2:15 am:

The 2nd Amendment is well protected by a powerful lobby, the NRA. Gun owners in this country have nothing to worry about. The only way laws could change, is if some nutcase walked into NRA headquarters and went columbine or VA Tech on them…maybe then they would finally get the point!

29. One Voice said on 2 Nov 2007 at 11:38 am:

Es Ta lay

My 7:18 post was prior to your 7:00 post and in response to your 6:40 post (think I was making supper in the middle of the response which caused the delay!)

Anyway…. you wrote….

a) lobby for gun control

That was my original point, that victims do become active with the gun control lobby but you indicated you thought they were being used by them. It’s likely some of each.

My husband has guns and is quite skilled. I’ve shot a few times, but would not think that I would be able to defend myself with a gun. Waving one around is likely to end up with bad consequences for me and those around me or my neighbors. I know that I would never be accurate enough to aim for a head shot. If someone was pointing a gun at me I think the most productive thing I could do at that point would be to pray and try a little screaming, ducking and running. :)

30. One Voice said on 2 Nov 2007 at 11:40 am:

es_ta_ley

PS. The only thing I would lobby for would be to be able to check on the nutcases. That is priviliged information but would be darn useful during a gun check.

31. es_la_ley said on 2 Nov 2007 at 8:26 pm:

One Voice: “If someone was pointing a gun at me I think the most productive thing I could do at that point would be to pray and try a little screaming, ducking and running.”

That’s basically what I did that dark, dreary night so long ago. :-)

“The only thing I would lobby for would be to be able to check on the nutcases. That is priviliged information but would be darn useful during a gun check.”

Applause! We agree!

I want to add… Seung Hui Cho shot up Virginia Tech, but he should NOT have been able to get a gun in Virginia. There are checks for ‘nutcases’ buying guns in Virginia, but somehow he fell through the cracks [I haven’t kept up on how/why he was able to get them]. A very sad thing, but IMHO answering that tragedy with more strict gun controls isn’t the answer. Fixing the problems with the current system (in Virginia) is.

32. One Voice said on 2 Nov 2007 at 9:36 pm:

I am so very sorry for your experience. I cannot imagine….

Finding common ground is the true democratic process!!!

Those with serious mental issues are not being dealt a fair deal neither are those that do not have those issues. Sometimes pushing them into the mainstream and making them think they are fine does more damage than the truth. Think that’s what happened with Cho.