Ebert Does Not Intend To Serve Out Term

By Greg L | 31 October 2007 | Prince William County | 26 Comments

I have heard from a reliable source that Prince William Commonwealth Attorney Paul Ebert intends to resign from office after the election and retire as soon as he’s served longer than Fairfax Commonwealth’s Attorney Robert Horan, which would make him the longest-serving Commonwealth’s Attorney in Virginia history if he serves an additional one year and one day beyond this current term. His intent would then be to position his deputy to succeed him, in the same manner that the Clerk Of The Court position was engineered to be handed off to chosen successors for decades before David Mabie was elected.

Is this the sort of thing that Prince William County needs, another designated succession plan to ensure that a Constitutional Office is kept within the hands of a select group of insiders who choose our elected representatives behind closed doors? I think not.

Ham Sandwich would not do such a thing. He’s not capable of such shenanigans. Write in Ham Sandwich for Prince William Commonwealth’s Attorney on November 6th. He can do the job just as well as the current one, and won’t try to engineer undemocratic transfers of power to insiders within the Commonwealth’s Attorney Office.

1. bwana said on 31 Oct 2007 at 6:34 am:

Who is the deputy who is supposed to be the chosen successor?

2. Patty said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:43 am:

Greg,

Since Ebert’s name is the only one on the ballot, does he automatically get a vote? Sometimes I wonder how these computers are programmed. I wonder if they could be rigged. Hearing about how it’s possible that an illegal alien can vote(epsecially in Takoma Park), nothing surprises me anymore.

3. Riley said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:48 am:

With touchscreen voting, you can easily enter the name of a write-in candidate.

4. Vigilant1 said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:50 am:

Can’t a special election be held after the elected seat is vacated instead of waiting 3 more years for a scheduled election?

5. Malibooty said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:51 am:

Paul has no deputy. He has a “senior assistant”, a very well respected chap, but has never had a deputy. He also has never made public his plans for a successor, so I wonder how accurate these rumours are. Why would Paul quit, anyway, when no other lawyer in PWC has the stones to run against him?

6. Abe Lincoln said on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:53 am:

I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion
    without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the
    accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him.

7. Krutis said on 31 Oct 2007 at 9:00 am:

Why not write in Greg L. He’d probably do as well as Ham Sandwich Esq.

8. Anonymous said on 31 Oct 2007 at 9:18 am:

Malibooty on 31 Oct 2007 at 8:51 am:

He’s getting rather “long in the tooth.”

9. Dolph said on 31 Oct 2007 at 9:49 am:

I find it interesting how many references there are on here about turning politicians out to pasture when they become senior citizens. So much for family values if we devalue our politicians because of their age.

10. Malibooty said on 31 Oct 2007 at 9:49 am:

anon 9:18

Paul is 70 this year, I believe, and has no health issues that I am aware of. Senator Colgan is 81, for comparison’s sake. So age alone is not enough to convince me Paul will leave early.

Remember, politicians don’t retire in Manassas!

11. John Light said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:02 am:

12. mike austin said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:14 am:

I sat through a murder trial just a week ago with Paul Ebert as prosecutor. I can tell you that, while he does look tired, he did do his job very well.
    Personally, as a resident of Manassas, I have watched Mr. Ebert put bad people AWAY for many years and I would have a very hard time being critical of him or his methods. I wish we had more ‘Paul Ebert’s’ to do our dirty work. I do not care if he does have plans to retire, if he will give us another year, I am happy to have him.
    Paul Ebert will be a tough act to follow!

13. Advocator said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:30 am:

He certainly has my respect as a trial lawyer. However, I’ve questioned some prosecutorial discretionary decisions he’s made, especially in the past 3-5 years. Some offenses that I would have charged with more serious crimes were charged with lesser offenses, then those were dealt down to even lesser charges. It’s tough to criticize those types of decisions however because all the details bearing on the decisions are usually not publicly available. I wonder if the absence of at least a loyal opposition has contributed to a less aggressive attitude within the office.

14. Riley said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:43 am:

None of this changes the fact that Ham Sandwich is more qualified than Ebert and everyone should write-in Ham on Election Day.

15. Turn PW Blue said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:59 am:

Patty:

With the touch-screen systems, it is possible to skip a position and cost no vote. I did this just this morning with the Brentsville Supervisor “race” when voting absentee because I’ll be traveling business next week. The system warns you that you have not cast all of the votes you are entitled to cast and confirms that you intended to do so.

16. Clean it up in '07 said on 31 Oct 2007 at 11:04 am:

Makes sense. He needs to get somebody in as an interim, because he knows if it swithches up in a General Election in 4 years it’s going directly into the GOP’s hands — that is of course if Kopko isn’t around to screw up that nominating convention too.

17. Krutis said on 31 Oct 2007 at 11:57 am:

Riley - So what happens, should Ham win? Will HSM be able to appoint someone to the office, or????????? Would you rather have a nobody than Ebert? Just wondering.

18. Batson D. Belfrey said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:08 pm:

“Will HSM be able to appoint someone to the office, or????????? ”

Krutis, what does this have to do with HSM, or the price of eggs in China?

19. Anonymous said on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:24 pm:

Batson D. Belfrey on 31 Oct 2007 at 4:08 pm:

Krutis forgot to take his medication today so please forgive his out in space remarks.

20. Krutis said on 31 Oct 2007 at 6:11 pm:

Because Greg tell us to write in Ham Sandwich for Prince William Attorney, and Greg IS HSM, that’s why I ask.

Who knows, maybe it’s written in the Gospel or it’s God’s law,which he refers to in his July “interview”.

b

21. Anonymous said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:55 pm:

Don’t worry about Paul Ebert retiring. Paul will take care of himself. You need to worry about Jeff Frederick and Lingamfelter running for the First District seat for Congress a month after they hope to be elected next week. Why should the Republicans have spent so much money on their races when they weren’t even interested in being re elected to the House of Delegates?????????

22. Greg L said on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:57 pm:

In case you haven’t figured it out, they’ve both endorsed Paul Jost. I’m sure it would go over well for them to endorse someone one week and then run against them the next.

Get a grip.

23. OneTimeDeputy said on 1 Nov 2007 at 7:18 am:

“IF he does retire, my question would be how much is he costing tax payers JUST to last longer than Robert Horan. I think we need to do more investigating on this, verify if there is or is not a deputy, and then go to the BOCS and see if there is something that can be done to prevent this very type of shenanigan from happening in the future.”

Are you really this ignorant? He is an elected official and there is not a damn thing the BOCS can do. If Ebert wants to run then step down then that’s his right. He has no “Deputy” as someone else has already stated. He has senior assistant CA’s under him. My guess is that the courts would have to name his successor since this is an elected position.

24. Clean it up in '07 said on 1 Nov 2007 at 11:43 am:

Anon 10:55 –

You need a 1st District Congressional Race update. Frederick and Ligamfelter have both publicly endorsed Paul Jost. You just need to go to the website link provided on the Jost thread here to see that.

Sorry to stop your rumor train before it gets going.

25. jfk said on 1 Nov 2007 at 11:51 am:

I just completed voting via absentee ballot. In addition to having the pleasure of being one of the first to vote for Corey and Fitzimmons, I also wrote in ham sandwich for commonwealth attorney. Please do this when you vote, it is really quite easy to do and will make a statement about the public’s opinion of this pathetic individual.

26. Batson D. Belfrey said on 1 Nov 2007 at 2:27 pm:

“He is an elected official and there is not a damn thing the BOCS can do.”

This is a true statement. CA is a constitutional office, same as sheriff and clerk of court. If within a constituional officer resigns or dies in office before the end of their term, a judge would set the date of a special election. If the resignation is within a “reasonable” time-frame, the judge could set the date to coincide with the next general election, or could set a date for a true special election. “Reasonable” time is left to the discretion of the judge. In the interim, a judge would appoint someone to fill out the term. If there is a deputy or assistant, the judge could appoint this individual, since it is assumed that the office-holder would have chosen someone with similar veiws to be their back-up and right-hand. Or, the judge could appoint someone else. The code is vague on this.

Of course, no one knows what Ebert will do, except Ebert. I would imagine that once an elected official gets to be a certain age, speculations like this abound. I guess we’ll know when/if it happens.

Now a bigger question: What if Ham Sandwich were to win? Stranger things have happened. I would imagine that a judge would appoint someone, until a special election could be called. Could Ebert be appointed to fill out Sandwich’s term?