Election Eve Desperation

By RHarrison | 5 November 2007 | 29th VA Senate | 54 Comments

I was at the VRE this morning with Jackson Miller when something odd happened.  A team of Colgan supporters showed up and began putting Colgan signs up all over Old Town Manassas.

In Fairfax this would not be remarkable, but it is illegal in Manassas to put political signs on public property.  I would have thought that Sen. Colgan would know that, since he has lived here for a while.  Apparently not.

Just to be clear, this wasn’t one person putting up one sign.  Several men with a truck were driving along placing signs every so often in any free space they could find.

Sen. Colgan likes to tell people they should vote for him because of his experience, but it looks like he doesn’t even understand what the election law in his home town says.

Why is it that Democrats like to make laws, but then break them as soon as they become inconvenient?  No wait.  I think I know the answer.

1. Bob Sentz said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:10 pm:

Have they been taken down?

2. Steve Randolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:39 pm:

Senator Colgan and many of his many supporters,
    including Gov. Kaine, were at an election rally
    this morning in Old Town. It was a large enthusiastic
    crowd representing a broad spectrum of
    our community. Senator Colgan’s
    momentum is growing faster as the election nears.
    (Good to see Mattie Parrish - she is the best
    judge of a true Virginia gentleman I know -
    and she has endorsed Senator Colgan - a long
    time friend of Mattie’s late husband -
    the highly respected Delegate Harry Parrish).

Colgan and Miller win. You can take it to the bank.

3. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:40 pm:

Colgan putting up signs on public property doesn’t surprise me. That is how he operates. He also puts up signs at vacant houses that are up for sale. As I said before, I wouldn’t be surprised if I see one of his signs in D.C. His actions are dishonorable!

4. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:43 pm:

If you vote for Miller and then vote for Colgan, you are just putting a gun to Miller’s head and pulling the trigger so to speak.

5. Anon said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:43 pm:

Sign laws, spelling, oh the humanity.

6. TC said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:44 pm:

Bob Sentz - yes, the signs were taken down right after the rally was finished.

7. Steve Randolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:46 pm:

Greg, suggest if you have any specific evidence of any
    violation of the law, you notify the proper authorities
    ASAP. ( Jackson Miller, a former City Council member
    and policeman, should have been able to help you.)

Colgan and Miller. A great team for our community.

8. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:48 pm:

By the way Miller does support Fitzsimmonds.

9. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 2:56 pm:

O my, here come the Colgan disciples.

Colgan SAID at the debate were are mistaken. He SAID that all those men at 7-11 are here legally. He SAID they were from El Salvador. Colgan SAID he converses with them on a regular basis. He SAID we need to coverse with them.

If you vote for Colgan, this county will look like the slums of El Salvador and Mexico faster than you can blink your eyes.

Colgan voted against a yes/no question on a DMV form that asked if you are a U.S. citizen. He SAID it was too confusing.

If you vote for Colgan you have sided with the illegal alien apologists. It is that simple.

10. veteran said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:13 pm:

Patty:
    Thanks for the info. That makes up my mind. I’m voting for Colgan.

11. Craig said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:14 pm:

Oh please Greg, whatever. Your beloved Republican candidates have illegal signs up all over the place too. In PWC, and any jurisdiction other than Fairfax which allows signs by permit, campaign signs placed in Right of Ways happen to be illegal. A quick drive around would reveal illegal Frederick, Lingamfelter, McQuiqq, Fitzsimmonds and other signs.

But of course, you only complain about this when it suits your purposes, i.e. when they are Colgan signs. That is referred to as hypocrisy.

[Ed note: notice who wrote this post? I thought not.]

12. k. o'toole said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:22 pm:

Once again, Miller will introduce anti-illegal legislation and Colgan & cronies will shoot it down in the senate - makes no sense. ssdd.

13. Krutis said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:23 pm:

Speaking of signs in wrong places. There are lots of the obnoxious ORANGE Delgaudio signs in the Town of Herndon where no one can vote for him. (He also interfered in the Town’s business in re the now defunct Day Laborer Center)

14. Riley said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:28 pm:

Plenty of Colgan signs all over Puller’s district and vice versa in eastern PWC without signs for the correct candidate in those areas.

15. josh said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:34 pm:

Might want to listen to craig…he seems to be the authority on election signs, he spends every waking hour it appears bitching about them :)

16. Genie said on 5 Nov 2007 at 3:40 pm:

As I drove through Manassas City this morning, I saw men sticking signs up everywhere for Colgan and I thought just how tacky Manassas is becoming with the sign on Liberty and now this!
    I wonder if Colgan took time out to drive around the city to speak to the common folks - has he ever driven through the area to see just how things have changed in Manassas and did he see the ugly Liberty sign?
    or did he spend all his time hob nobbing with all his old buddies?
    Time for new blood in Richmond - Colgan won’t get my vote!

17. John Light said on 5 Nov 2007 at 4:20 pm:

LMAO at josh.

Well, just remember this:

Sign Sign everywhere a sign
    Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
    Do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the sign

~Tesla

18. Riley said on 5 Nov 2007 at 4:28 pm:

Actually, Tesla remade that song, which was originally performed by the Five Man Electrical Band.

19. Dolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 4:44 pm:

If I vote for Colgan, and I will tomorrow as will my husband, children, and best friend, then it only means we think for ourselves and do not submit to bullying tactics and name calling.

20. Batson D. Belfrey said on 5 Nov 2007 at 4:46 pm:

“then it only means we think for ourselves and do not submit to bullying tactics and name calling.”

Er…ah….WHAT?

21. Steve Randolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 4:59 pm:

Drive down Grant Ave. in Manassas between Church St.
    in Old Town and Sudley Rd. - a traditional solid
    Republican are - and look. Over a dozen homes with
    Senator Colgan’s signs — none, zip for FitzSimmons.
    It is breaking big for Colgan.

Maybe Senator Colgan should thank the slash and
    burn nasty folks who attack him. They
    have aroused HIS base. Keep it up - you could turn
    this into a landslide for him.

22. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:03 pm:

Veteran,

You forgot to bring Billy Boy with you. Don’t forget to take him to the polls. I prefer the term disciples instead of supporters because it doesn’t matter what Colgan does, you will vote for him. You will vote for him even though he will NOT do anything about illegal aliens. He already said at the debates that those men at 7-11 are here legally. If you vote for him then you also believe those men are here legally. You have sided with the illegal alien apologist. I also find it dishonorable to put up signs at vacant houses especially ones that are vacant and have se habla espanol. There is an overcrowded house up near King George (habla espanol) that had a Colgan, Pandak, Rishell and Corey Riley sign. That just about says it all. Of course, he did have one of his workers remove some signs but it is too late.

Bob Fitzsimmonds CRUSHED Colgan in the debates.

23. Riley said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:04 pm:

Steve, those signs are in front of vacant homes.

24. G Man said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:12 pm:

Well if using signs is any indicator of votes, I’d say it will be close, but Fitz will win. On Friday I counted groups of Fitz and Colgans signs along Vint Hill Road from Route 29 in Buckland to Route 28, then on into Manassas. Along Vint Hill there were 12 Fitz signs to 5 Colgan, so the rural areas are strong Fitz fans. On the Route 28 corridor to Manassas the tally was Colgan 5, Fitz 0. It’s safe to say Colgan is most popular in and around the city. So the total would be 12 Fitz, 11 Colgan. Close but by a nose I give it to Fitz.

25. veteran said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:21 pm:

Patty:
    The title of this thread is “Election Eve Desparation” and you are proving the point. You should change your name to Eve.

26. Steve Randolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:37 pm:

Don’t think the fine citizens who live in those homes
    would call them vacant.

Enjoy driving and walking around Manassas and I’ve
    noticed 2 to l signs for Senator Colgan, and at least
    2 to 1 for Delegate Miller. Signs don’t mean everything,
    (I’ve sometimes run out signs/money with dozens
    of offered sites left empty, but these are two well
    funded campaigns — no looking under the den couch
    for loose change for either one of these campaigns).

Senator Chuck Colgan and Delegate Miller are
    the clear choices of the community. Tomorrow will
    verify that.

27. TC said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:39 pm:

I live in old town, and I have counted 5 Fitzsimmonds signs in yards. Five. I’m not joking.

He must be doing better in the county, and while I’m certain signs aren’t a complete indication of support, all I can say is that in the city he’s going to get crushed.

28. TC said on 5 Nov 2007 at 5:41 pm:

Oh, I guess I should add that for the 5 Fitz signs, there are probably 50 Colgan signs. I can’t say how many for sure because I haven’t counted, but I assure you, the colgan signs outnumber the fitz signs by at least 5 to 1, and probably more like 10 to 1.

29. ddpdrinker said on 5 Nov 2007 at 6:20 pm:

Signs are not the issue. They are just pieces of cardboard that will be thrown into the trash after the election. The candidates are at issue and what they’ve done and not done. Miller had the House pass his Bills. Our Senate voted them down. That should SPEAK LOUDLY for anyone with any sense. We need a Rep and a Senator that will compliment each other, not pull against each other.

30. DennisD said on 5 Nov 2007 at 6:56 pm:

Krutis

Supervisor Delgaudio - never interferred with any business in the Town of Herndon.

31. Anon said on 5 Nov 2007 at 7:05 pm:

Senator, you are so attractive today. Representative, that is really a nice jacket. Like that?

32. ddpdrinker said on 5 Nov 2007 at 7:10 pm:

Anon: Our time on this Earth is precious. Do you really have that much time to waste that you need to make worthless comments such as the one at 7:05 PM?

33. charm said on 5 Nov 2007 at 7:26 pm:

Lucy Beauchamp has clearly violated the sign laws.

34. Anon said on 5 Nov 2007 at 7:35 pm:

ddpdrinker, our time on earth is precious. Do you really have that much time to write that criticism over a correction?

35. Dolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 8:05 pm:

Veteran,

Just for you:) Just a few bars here….

….hate your next-door-neighbor, but don’t forget to say grace,
    and you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend,
    ah, you don’t believe we’re on the eve of destruction.

By Barry McGuire 1965

36. ddpdrinker said on 5 Nov 2007 at 8:11 pm:

Anon: 7:35PM I humbly apologizie. You are correct. I should have used complEment instead. I just thought you were being a smartie-pants like some others. I stand corrected. I should have taken that extra minute to check my spelling.

37. ddpdrinker said on 5 Nov 2007 at 8:12 pm:

apologize geez

38. Lafayette said on 5 Nov 2007 at 8:50 pm:

I’ve just added a new album “Signs, Signs Everywhere There’s Signs. I have put up the first Wall, some reinforcement of the wall, a small gathering, and the sign completed. I couldn’t post the partial sign at the top of this thread. I’ve also, put up up some illegally placed signs, and one other mean spirtied sign in my opinion. Please, take a look!
    Josh,
    You love this pictures too.
    Mr.Light,
    Sir, I hate to correct you, but I must. Signs(plural)! Oh, I thought you were better than that.-lol
    Ms.Pannell

39. josh said on 5 Nov 2007 at 8:54 pm:

Pictures are awesome, thanks…I get a kick out of all of them! I’m still waiting to get a good “action shot” of some of the illegals out by the 7-11. One of them flipped me off a while back when I started to whip out my video camera (The battery died some it didnt even work:) I want to get that on tape or picture..Maybe I can even make my own movie, sort of like “Borat” or something with a comedy twist. I’m no Scorcese but I can dream :)

40. Little Ms. P. said on 5 Nov 2007 at 9:17 pm:

Josh,
    I know what you mean. I had my camera one day I was down at your favorite 7-11, and my battery died while taking the other pictures. One guy was so drunk the tied him to the tree so he wouldn’t fall over. The drunk then started getting loud, and yes they took care of that problem too with a piece of duct tape over the mouth. Now, that’s how they treat their “amigos”. How do you think the would treat “non-amigos”?

41. Lafayette said on 5 Nov 2007 at 9:18 pm:

Josh,
    That was me above.

42. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 10:28 pm:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mexicans Sin Fronteras show up at the polls and protest.

43. One Voice said on 5 Nov 2007 at 10:35 pm:

Well said Dolph 8:05…

I don’t think they can protest at the polls, can they? They would not be classified as campaign workers.

44. Patty said on 5 Nov 2007 at 10:49 pm:

Lafayette,

I guess we better bring our cameras tomorrow. We might see some interesting action, especially since Mexicans Without Borders is distributing their sample ballot. I wonder where they will mass up first. Maybe in John Jenkin’s district. What do you think?

45. 999 said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:05 pm:

Little Ms. P. on 5 Nov 2007 at 9:17 pm:

You should have called the cops. Would have had one less illegal in town (drunk in public.)

46. Dolph said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:05 pm:

One Voice,

I do not know. It has never been anything I have ever thought about. On the other hand, I do not think you have to be vetted as an outside campaign worker. I suppose tomorrow will be full of surprises.

47. Vigilant1 said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:13 pm:

Lafayette on 5 Nov 2007 at 8:50 pm:

Lafayette, re photo #1279: You have to get them to come out of the shadows. lol

48. Lafayette said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:19 pm:

999,
    Well, I didn’t bother to call the cops, because the 7-11 allows loitering until 10am. The PWCPD support this. The police don’t visit that place that often from what I’ve seen and read about that store. Well, next time believe me I will.
    I called the PWPD back in April, and they really seemed put out to have to bothered with the two vagrants I came accross that day. They did end up hauling the butts off to jail. They were WASTED like I’d never seen. I went in 7-11(K-Mart Shopping Center in Manassas), and told the manager. He went outside and managed to run them off. I knew they could not have gone far. So, I decided to drive out the back way, and there they were in between dumpsters. The were shooting each other up.
    I do have pictures of these jokers. They might be in one of the albums I’ve already posted. If they aren’t there I will post them in the next couple of days.
    BTW-I’m Lafayette. Little Ms. P. is what Billyboy called me to let me know that he did know who I was. He knew my father, and knows other family members.

49. Lafayette said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:24 pm:

Patty,
    You know I don’t even go to your house without my camera. Battery is charging on both still and video camera right now.
    We’ll just have to wait and see, and haha you’ll have to wait until 2pm. I will have had 8hours to report to you when you get there. Remember, you are always welcome to come earlier.

50. monticup said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:41 pm:

Lafayette: Thank you for the great pictures. You are performing an invaluable service.

Speaking of Old Town Alexandria–I was there last week for lunch. I could not believe the number of illegal aliens roaming around in groups. Every single block of that beautiful town had groups of young men congregating. It was the middle of the day–why were they not at work doing work Americans won’t do? Well, if Alexandrians want them, they can have them but I think even they would get tired of them just hanging around.

51. Bob Wills said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:51 pm:

Why is it that Democrats like to make laws, but then break them as soon as they become inconvenient? No wait. I think I know the answer.

Greg are you truly that much of a fool and want the world to believe that Republicans are so honest ? They are bought and paid for by the K Street Lawyers and maybe that is why Stewart ( a K street Lawyer ) thinks he owns PWC and there is no need for an election for he appointed his self as the next chairman when the discussion came up about Salaries for the Board Members this fall. Maybe he has no more idea of what will happen tomorrow just like the flyer that said he had raised Extortion ( proffers ) that screw the public and have solve nothing for transportation problems in the last 30 years

52. Lafayette said on 5 Nov 2007 at 11:51 pm:

monticup
    Thank you. I work in Old Town Alexandria from time to time, and I’ve seen exactly what you’ve described. Just add Alexandria to the list of “LAND OF DENIAL”. I’d much prefer they left the Old Dominion all together, and went to Maryland or even better yet go south of the border.

53. JM said on 6 Nov 2007 at 9:24 am:

There were Colgan signs taped to the shelters on the platform of the Manassas Park VRE station yesterday, and they were still there this morning. The signs were about Colgan’s support of VRE. Although both Colgan’s and VRE’s name appears on them, it is not clear who posted them. The signs of course, never mention that Fitzsimmonds has made transportation a major issue in his campaign also. No one is anti-VRE. Local voters want Richmond to fund transportation. I read that Northern VA only gets 46 cents back for every dollar we send to Richmond. Colgan has not done such a hot job of keeping our tax dollars home in Northern VA.

In the past VRE has handed out materials on the trains telling me how to vote for transportation funding. VRE personnel are Amtrak employees, but when I complained in the past I was told that Amtrak workers are not covered under the Hatch Act. Didn’t do them any good, their funding was defeated. I win’t let VRE tell me how to vote this time, either.

54. slh said on 6 Nov 2007 at 9:52 am:

I live in the city of Manassas. There are a lot of Fitzsimmons signs in my neighborhood, and in other neighborhoods in the city. It is true that Colgan signs predominate in Old Town (which I walk home through every dayt), but the rest of the city seems to favor Fitzsimmons. In Old Town it is often Colgan and Miller, with a real mix on who is supported for clerk. In the rest of the city it is usually Fitzsimmons and Miller, or Colgan and Rishell. Again very mixed on who people support for clerk of court, except that if there is a Rishell sign, then usually a Ryland sign. I have to say, I know a lot of voters who do not put signs in their yards. People who do put signs in their yards almost always vote for who the signs are.

No lines at Weems, but a voters are coming through in a steady trickle.