video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Rack n’ Roll At The Governing Board

By Greg L | 15 November 2007 | Rack & Roll Scandal | 15 Comments

The week there was a public hearing held by the Manassas Park Governing Board regarding the Conditional Use Permit allowed for Rack n’ Roll Billards, and the Potomac News has an article about this in today’s edition.  While Kipp Hanley does a pretty good job providing an overview of what happened, there’s a lot more to say about what happened there, and the continuing bizarre behavior by the Governing Board and the City of Manassas Park.

I’m told that at one point during the hearing, Dave Ruttenberg challenged the Governing Board to ask City Attorney Dean Crowhurst about whether the chief of security at Rack n’ Roll was working for the police, as has been alternatively denied and affirmed in various documents filed by the city with the courts.  After not a single council member chose to ask this pertinent question, Ruttenberg played an audio recording of Dean Crowhurst actually admitting to this.  Apparently, it was quite a scene.

The relevance here is that the city is holding Ruttenberg responsible for drug dealing that was promoted and controlled by the Joint Narcotics Task Force (JNTF) under the control of a Manassas Park Police Officer, and in order to facilitate this, the JNTF recruited a substantial portion of his security team and Kevin Brendel, at that time the Vice-Mayor and DJ at the club in order to help make this happen.  They set these deals up, and then used them against Ruttenberg.  It’s a complete travesty, and the city is on the verge of getting away with this.

I hope to have more on this soon.  Stay tuned.

1. Maureen Wood said on 15 Nov 2007 at 6:08 am:

Was there a ruling on Dave’s CUP?

Dave,
    I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this B.S. and I wish you luck.

2. David Ruttenberg said on 15 Nov 2007 at 6:35 am:

Thanks for thinking about me! No ruling yet.
    Governing Body will do that at their next mtg. Even when they were faced with irrefutable evidence of their own detective’s perjury and fabricated evidence they sat silent. What I learned in that meeting…and what I didnt know until that day, Was that they knew all along.

3. park'd said on 15 Nov 2007 at 7:18 am:

Dave you are a patriot. What do the state police and FBI have to say about this? If you have this kind of proof then I would certainly call the media and state police. MP officials are so corrupt and inept that it would be almost comical if you weren’t living in this hell. I hope you sue those guys for millions and the city goes bankrupt because of it. Going back to PWC would be a Godsend for this town.

4. Gone Fishing said on 15 Nov 2007 at 10:45 am:

park’d, speaking of patriot, I’m still looking for our very own
    “The Patriot” to come out of hiding. Where are you, Man? We
    miss your posts.
    As far as Dave contacting the media and the state police, he
    most likely would get nowhere. I’d love to see him go instead to Bill O’Rielly or Montel Williams and then watch the crooks
    squirm. Nobody should be put thru this type of underground
    corruption, especially by our law enforcement officials.

5. Rob Smalls - Patriot Temp said on 15 Nov 2007 at 10:57 am:

Best of luck to you Dave.

By the way - GOT e-VERIFY?

6. Loudoun Insider said on 15 Nov 2007 at 10:58 am:

Once again I am amazed and disusted by this whole affair. Please sue the pants off these dirtballs, Dave.

7. MP Resident said on 15 Nov 2007 at 11:03 am:

Of that city council, two are appointed and three ran without opposition.

8. MP Resident said on 15 Nov 2007 at 11:03 am:

I think it’s a case of people getting the government they deserve, maybe.

9. Rob Smalls - Patriot Temp said on 15 Nov 2007 at 11:29 am:

Maybe I’ll run next year. Who wants to be my campaign manager?

Park’d - I’d like to appoint you my media affairs counselor.

The Patriot - Security. Definitely Security.

10. Dolph said on 15 Nov 2007 at 11:58 am:

Dave,

What does the ACLU have to say about all this? If this isn’t government taking away your rights, I don’t know what is.

11. Gone Fishing said on 15 Nov 2007 at 11:59 am:

Rob, by all means, I say go for it! You’re doing fine as the
    Patriot Temp, so until he/she comes back to us, keep up the
    good work!
    MP Resident, yes, people get the government they deserve.

12. MP Resident said on 15 Nov 2007 at 3:26 pm:

“Maybe I’ll run next year.”

Just be aware that if you decide to run as a Republican, you’ll have to find out the top-secret location of the Manassas Park Republican Committee meeting.

That data is located on the same hard drive as the photos that Kevin Brendel took.

13. Rob Smalls - Patriot Temp said on 15 Nov 2007 at 3:54 pm:

MP Resident -

I will probably run as a conservative independent. I’m not in love with the idea of only two parties controlling 98% of political movement in this country.

14. fed up said on 18 Nov 2007 at 8:05 pm:

Interesting little tidbit from “OFFICIAL MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE MANASSAS PARK GOVERNING BODY HELD ON TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2004 AT 7:00 PM AT CITY HALL, ONE PARK CENTER COURT MANASSAS PARK, VIRGINIA”.

” 4. General Fund Financial Forecasts:

Debt service is a known quantity for a number of years. Treasurer gave the Governing Body a revenue and expenditure forecast through FY10 including school appropriations. This is based on sustained growth through those years of assessments from 17.71% down to 10%. This is based on current tax rate. It shows a small surplus in FY05, which is about the same amount needed to complete the firehouse. Unknown is whether OTB gets approved. City should have a healthy surplus at end of FY10. Park Center project is not included in these figures. The Mayor stated that given everything we know debt service appears to be affordable. ”

OTB didn’t get approved, and your “healthy surplus” at the end of FY10 looks to be quite sickly instead.

But you idiots believed that houses would just continue to appreciate in price “forever”, and based the financial planning for the city on that pipe dream.

15. Joe Strummer said on 21 Nov 2007 at 12:05 pm:

I’ve followed this story for a year now through The Agitator. It probably does him no good that an anonymous person on a blog somewhere says it, but nonetheless I am glad Dave Ruttenberg speaks truth to power. I know nothing about Ruttenberg other than what I’ve read on Radley Balko’s blog, but I have tremendous respect for him.