The Post Whines About Corey Stewart, Again

By Greg L | 29 November 2007 | Prince William County | 84 Comments

Today’s edition of the Washington Post has an unusual article which is nominally a piece about Corey Stewart, but in effect is just an opportunity for the Washington Post to give Corey’s critics some ink.  You’d find it hard to believe that Corey beat Sharon Pandak by more than ten percentage points in the November election from this article.  When the Post ran it’s post-election story about Gerry Connolly, not one critic other than his opponent Gary Baise was sourced.  I guess it all comes down to who is an illegal alien apologist, and who is not.

Democrat and former Chairman Kathleen Seefeldt gets to deliver her “rebuke of Stewart’s leadership”, as if she were qualified to comment on the subject of successful leadership.  Marty Nohe, to provide balance gives an explanation of the power that the County Chairman actually has, and a mild quote about Corey relishing the spotlight, and then we get this:

“In one year, he’s been able to alienate all perspective homebuyers and businesses who might want to come to the county,” said one Prince William Republican activist who spoke on condition of anonymity because he must deal with the chairman. “If you are a well-to-do family of color, you don’t feel welcome. If you are white middle class, you’re sold on the image of a marauding band of illegal immigrants at every street corner. And businesses don’t want to be caught in the firestorm.”

Where in the heck does this drivel come from?  Constituent input to the members of the Board of Supervisors prior to the enactment of this policy was overwhelmingly supportive, and seems to be consistent with the 80% approval rating for such policies that recent surveys have identified.  This mantra of “people of color” being harmed by a resolution ensuring that the rule of law is applied towards illegal aliens is coming not from “Republican activists”, but from the illegal alien lobby.  Not too many Republican activists I’ve ever met take their talking points from folks like John Steinbach.  This quote is utterly ridiculous.

The Washington Post can’t shoot straight when the issue of illegal aliens is in any way involved in a story.  When the Center For Immigration Studies puts out a report on how immigrants, legal and illegal, are a financial drain on government resources, the Post has to talk about how our illegal aliens are better than everyone else’s.  When an elected official handily beats his opponent and immigration is a huge issue in the race, the sour grapes of the losers get coverage, while the majority of voters who strongly supported Corey Stewart’s stand on the issue are ignored.

No wonder the Post can’t figure out why Stewart won.  They didn’t bother to talk to any regular citizens that actually supported him.

1. Big Dog said on 29 Nov 2007 at 2:06 pm:

Informative article in today’s New York Times
    (not generally known for a conservative tilt)
    headlined “Immigration at Record Level Analysis Finds”.
    The piece notes that over half are “without legal
    status” and are poorly educated and place a tremendous
    strain on local schools, judicial systems and medical
    care institutions. You can, of course, read this on line.
    (And no, Corey or Greg didn’t write it.)

2. Krusty said on 29 Nov 2007 at 3:01 pm:

The article states that Stewart won with a comfortable 55 percent over Pandak. I don’t know whether that would be considered more than ten percentage points or not.

3. John Light said on 29 Nov 2007 at 3:14 pm:

In today’s Washington Times: http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/NATION/111290083/1001

“Both immigrants and illegal aliens are more likely to be poor and to use welfare programs than native-born Americans because they come to the country with lower levels of education, according to a new study looking at U.S. Census Bureau data.

“The problem here is not work, or a lack of willingness to work; it’s not legal status; it’s educational level at arrival,” said Steven A. Camarota, research director for the Center for Immigration Studies, which is releasing the report today.”

4. Jonathan Mark said on 29 Nov 2007 at 3:49 pm:

Will Corey Stewart ever explain why he told an audience at a Woodbridge mosque last summer that “I put Faisal Gill on the ballot”?

What did that mean exactly? How did Corey Stewart put Faisal Gill on the ballot? Why did Corey Stewart put Faisal Gill on the ballot?

Does Corey Stewart intend to do it again?

5. One Voice said on 29 Nov 2007 at 3:54 pm:

Oh admit it. You were had.

6. anonymoustoo said on 29 Nov 2007 at 4:40 pm:

Stewart got what he wanted - an opportunity to grandstand an issue shortly before the election - and now he’d like everyone to forget about that and see him for more than a Johnny One-Note. Afterall, to accomplish anything he’ll need the co-operation of the majority of the board.

I don’t see low skilled immigrants and their families as being a perpetual drain on society. My maternal grandfather came here as an eight year old boy and was working in a steel mill by the time he was twelve. My mother graduated from college. That’s quite a leap in one generation and I expect no less from current immigrants…if states will allow their children access to college. And before the screeching starts, all illegal immigrants are not going to be deported so you’d better decide whether you’d like their kiddos to be college-educated or to remain unskilled. Which is a bigger drain on society?

7. Vigilant1 said on 29 Nov 2007 at 4:54 pm:

Informative article in today’s New York Times
    (not generally known for a conservative tilt)

What are they telling us we didn’t already know. Old news is no news!

8. 999 said on 29 Nov 2007 at 5:06 pm:

anonymoustoo said on 29 Nov 2007 at 4:40 pm:

With a 57% dropout rate from high school, I don’t think too many of them are headed for college and therefore will remain unskilled. The facts speak for themselves.

9. Big Dog said on 29 Nov 2007 at 5:40 pm:

Vigilant1
    1) Didn’t realize the humor would be over
    anyone’s head. Sorry.
    2. The point is that a liberal paper printed
    a study on illegal immigration that supports what
    conservatives have been saying for years. Perhaps
    we can now all agree on the massive negative economic
    impact of illegal immigration on communities like
    Manassas and Prince Willaim County.

10. Krusty said on 29 Nov 2007 at 6:32 pm:

WashPost pg A10 today: “Illegal immigrants in Md and Va out-earn U.S. peers, study says”. Rather a cryptic sentence. However, one paragraph states that the average household income for illegal immigrants is $45,748 nationally. In Va $61,112. (!) Further on it says that natonwide, almost 59 % of undocumented immigrants and their children (who may be US-born citizens) are living in or near poverty; 44% in Va.

This is very confusing, IMO. /More: A researcher at the nonpartisan Urban Inst. who studies welfare use by immigrants and their children, said illegal immigrant families appear to be largely limiting themselves to programs such as subsidized school lunches and Medicaid while fewer than 1% get cash assistance compared with 3% in Va and 5% nationwide.

Studies have shown that low-income children of immigrants are less likely to use social services than low-income children of native parents. “Many immigrant parents are afraid of being reported to immigration services, or hey might not even be aware of the program, so they don’t enroll their children.”

I don’t think the writer edited this report.

11. Krusty said on 29 Nov 2007 at 6:35 pm:

omission “… cash sssistance compared with 3% of native households in Va ….”

12. Dolph said on 29 Nov 2007 at 6:43 pm:

999,

Is that 57% based on VA schools or is it a national average?

Even if 57% drop out of school, that leaves 43% graduating from high school. That really isn’t too shabby. I would like to see all young people NOT in low skilled jobs and earning some money. We don’t need anyone else on the dole. Anonymoustoo makes a valid point. We need to deal with reality rather than how we want things to be.

13. One Voice said on 29 Nov 2007 at 6:54 pm:

anonymoustoo said on 29 Nov 2007 at 4:40 pm:

I fear you are correct. This is and has been a hoax all along. Local police can and will identify illegals until every jail is overfilled and they are standing in line to be housed. We will release our local criminals to go out and perform their nasty acts again and again until the locals throw up their hands and say Uncle.

The Feds have absolutely no intention of getting involved unless it involves a serious criminal violation as this begins to tread on international law and so on and so on. This opinion does not make me an illegal apologist; just a realist. If you haven’t figured out by now that money rules and personal opportunities will win out over public trust every time…..read today’s Post. Most all the terrible things said about the Honorable Mr. Stewart are quotes from the Honorable Mr. Stewart. :)

14. me-n-u said on 29 Nov 2007 at 7:16 pm:

What some of you seem to forget is that, even if illegal’s go to college, they still can not LEGALLY work in the U.S.!

15. anonymoustoo said on 29 Nov 2007 at 7:41 pm:

me-n-u,

Somehow I think the Feds will find a way for an undocumented immigrant who has an engineering or information technology degree to stay here and find employment.

16. One Voice said on 29 Nov 2007 at 7:45 pm:

Me-n-u
    I don’t think we are forgetting anything. I think we are sadly acknowledging the reality.

If the Republican’s have controlled congress for the 29-30 of the past 38 years and they are the answers to all our prayers, then what’s left? Until they think illegals are bad business for the US (which I don’t think the majority of them think) nothing will happen. Their kids go to private schools, get into any college and they all have oodles of money. These issues don’t touch them or their families.

I am not registered in either party and have voted for more Republicans than not over the years; I am just giving up slowly. I would loved to be proven wrong, but I think that will not happen.

Our local policiticans work for firms that deal with international trade - can’t believe when it comes to their personal pocketbook they are not for NAFTA, the Mexican Superhighway and goodness knows what with Visas and other “arrangements”.

Please, prove me wrong. Until then, I guess I’d rather have people around me at Giant be vaccinated from TB and other diseases, at least. Can’t get to education, I still worry about health first.

17. Anonymous said on 29 Nov 2007 at 7:55 pm:

krusty : “However, one paragraph states that the average household income for illegal immigrants is $45,748 nationally. In Va $61,112. (!)”

Per household. Does it take into account how many people are living in a ‘household’?

18. Krusty said on 29 Nov 2007 at 8:57 pm:

Anonymous - the article says “..the average household income”. Your guess is as good as mine. FYI, I know what you’re hinting at. What I don’t understand is, how do they know the income of illigal immigrants? Supposedly they don’t pay taxes, so how do they arrive at any average at all?

19. me-n-u said on 29 Nov 2007 at 9:13 pm:

Krusty- You ask an excellent question there. And if these folks are only doing low paying jobs that Americans won’t do, it seems to me that they are making an awjul lot of money. Seems to me they should be paying their hospital bills. But I forgot, they like those big expensive Excurtions.

20. West Gate Witch said on 29 Nov 2007 at 9:20 pm:

me-n-u: Don’t forget about Escalades and Navigators too.
    I will stick to my broom. :)

21. Krusty said on 29 Nov 2007 at 10:13 pm:

I don’t know where you guys see those big cars. There might be one or two in the parking lot at the Latino store in Herndon, otherwise the cars are average or below. Maybe Manassas illegals are the ones that up the average income.

22. 999 said on 29 Nov 2007 at 10:19 pm:

Dolph said on 29 Nov 2007 at 6:43 pm:
    999,

Is that 57% based on VA schools or is it a national average?

That is the national average.

23. John Light said on 29 Nov 2007 at 11:43 pm:

Gee, I thought that the illegals either rode in 1980 era Toyota’s or on bicycles - lol

24. anon said on 29 Nov 2007 at 11:46 pm:

The average illegal who does own a vehicle will spend far more on their vehicle as a percentage of their income than the average citizen. So that is why you see the fancy trucks and SUVs…they can take them with them anywhere they have to move. Also, they use them for their businesses, so I guess they’d rather live 4 families to a house and drive a new truck than live 1 family to a house and drive a junker.

Krusty
    if you don’t believe me, just drive to the McCoart parking lot next time they vote on an immigration related resolution. You’ll see the brand new trucks and SUVs lined up in the parking lot with the green shirt wearing illegal supporters hopping out of them.

25. John Light said on 29 Nov 2007 at 11:47 pm:

anonymoustoo said on 29 Nov 2007 at 4:40 pm: - so, were your grandparents illegals??? Somehow I find it VERY hard to believe that people make it into this country LEGALLY and are uneducated. It costs a lot of money to get into this country, kind of like going to Santiago (US$100 per person, I believe) - lol. Seriously, it is VERY tough to have NO education and come from a 2nd or 3rd world country.

So, it all comes back to…let’s get rid of the illegals. They are NOT taking jobs we won’t do or can’t do.

26. Jonathan Mark said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:43 am:

I know a woman who came to the USA legally on a work visa, remained illegally and is now a US citizen and of course legal again. She is a great lady, but she is not educated and doesn’t claim to be. You can definitely get a work visa to come to the USA legally and be uneducated.

Agricultural workers do it all the time.

27. Dolph said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:54 am:

Krusty,

I am not saying illegals drive nice cars but the Manassas Latino community in general certainly does go high end in the car department. I sure end up looking shabby next to some of them in my 4 year old suv which is about as far from an Escolade as you can get.

28. Ducky said on 30 Nov 2007 at 5:24 am:

As for the quote from the unnamed Republican regarding declining home values, the explanation makes sense. Stewart and the anti-illegal immigration forces there are making PWC look like a horrible place in which to live. Expect more residents to leave and home values continue declining.

29. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:28 am:

Duckyl - You’re so right! If you think Stewart came to “help” PW, think again. He saw an opening, took it, and little PW is just the first stepping stone for this cooly ambitious, young lawyer. Greg L help him along all the way, maybe hoping for an appointment in (an eventual) senator Stewart’s office

30. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:30 am:

That would be an embarassement to Corey.

31. me-n-u said on 30 Nov 2007 at 8:34 am:

Krusty- It sounds like you don’t live in PWC or Manassas, so how do you know what Cory Stewart is thinking or doing, besides what you read in the paper? Which brings up the question of have you been to our area and seen the effects the overcrowding has had on our neighborhoods?

32. anonymoustoo said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:46 am:

John Light

My grandfather and his brother emigrated legally from a Scandinavian country at the turn of the last century. I doubt that most US citizens had a high school education at that time. You’re right that it’s tough to come to this country without an education now. The people who do so are strong…which I don’t believe is a bad trait.

In my opinion (as a person whose family has one five year old car and one sixteen year old car) Americans in general spend too much money on cars, particularly gas guzzling cars.

33. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:49 am:

menu: Yes, you’re correct. I don’t live in PWC. It’d be interesting to know how YOU know what Cory Stewart is thinking. Next: Does CS do public things that aren’t written about in the papers? If so how do YOU find out about them?

34. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:19 am:

BTW, what’s happening with the two youngsters who were putting out all kinds of pol. videos before the election?

35. James Young said on 30 Nov 2007 at 11:28 am:

As opposed to whom, Ducky? A “political opportunist” who uses American casualties as a path to political power? A “political opportunist” who uses anxieties over health care as a path to political power? A “political opportunist” who uses resentments of an opponents apparent ambition as a path to political power? A “political opportunist” who uses [fill in the blank ___________] as a path to political power?

It would be truly refreshing if some of the commenter reflected just a little more maturity.

36. John Light said on 30 Nov 2007 at 12:39 pm:

anonymoustoo said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:46 am:
    “John Light…My grandfather and his brother emigrated legally from a Scandinavian country at the turn of the last century….”

I hope my post did not infer that I thought otherwise, if so, my apologies. My gripe is that our forefathers who came here to the U.S. (notice the way I worded this…the U.S.) the right way and a VAST MAJORITY of immigrants do; however, there is an EXTREMELY growing population taking upon themselves to do otherwise because they feel they are more important than those who wait in the long lines outside the Consulates hoping to get Visas. THOSE are the ones I have issues with.

And no, ICE is NOT breaking up families by deporting the parents and keeping the kids here. The parents, by their actions (similary to ANY criminal who is a parent serving time behind bars), broke up the family.

37. anonymoustoo said on 30 Nov 2007 at 12:58 pm:

John Light,

No offense taken. Immigration and emigration are interesting topics and the “problems” certainly aren’t limited to the U.S. We’re probably victims of our own success. As we’ve exported our culture worldwide, we’ve made the U.S. an attractive destination. The internet and tv have merely speeded the pace.

38. One Voice said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:16 pm:

Should read “perspective” …. :)

39. 999 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:50 pm:

Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:19 am:

They were found out to be appologists for the illegals.

40. 999 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:55 pm:

Krusty said on 29 Nov 2007 at 10:13 pm:

Most of the cars they drive are japanese (Toyota, Honda, Nissan.) They don’t buy American.

41. Vigilant1 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:03 pm:

Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:28 am:

You have high asperations for Mr. Stewart. I am glad you recognize his leadership qualities and ambitious nature to get things done . There are not too many people nowadays that have these qualities. Look at the U.S. House and Senate today for what passes as our representatives and you will know what I am referring to.

42. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:09 pm:

Jonathan Mark said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:43 am:

Agricultural workers do it all the time.

=========================================
    …..and a lot of THIRD WORLD DIPLOMATS bring their household staffs (NANNIES, COOKS, GARDENERS ETC.) via work visas.

43. redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:06 pm:

Ducky said on 30 Nov 2007 at 5:24 am:

Corey Stewart is a political opportunist who used the illegal immigration issue to get himself reelected. He works for a K Street law firm promoting free trade treaties like NAFTA and CAFTA, which call for more open borders. Don’t expect anything more from him on the issue. ”

Is this True? What are your sources. I did not vote for him for other reason and I would like to know.

44. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:59 pm:

Redawn - Check out his law firm. The name of it is in the paper. I’ve also “heard” his firm also does work with ‘undocumented’ aliens. Not your average gardner mind you. But more high level. He is publicly moving beyond the immigration issue likely due to pressure from the firm. He does have to earn a living……. These stories about him have been floating around PWC for the past six months….on this space, everyone heard only what they wanted to hear.

45. redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 8:22 pm:

Anonymous,

Thank you. I will look into. I thought it was very strange and pretty much seen the sh**t from no word about him to ALL about him, in a FLASH.
    I agree that people heard or saw what they wanted too, not this cat…learned to not believe what I see or hear….just research and find out….LOL..and that is what I intend to do. Have a good night :)

46. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 8:46 pm:

999 at 3:55 - When I married, my husband had a 1936 snuffbrown Dodge bought fr his mother’s friend. The windshield fogged up and we bought a used automatic Chrysler (lowrider). That old crate didn’t make it up Green St to Coit Tower in San Francisco! After that, we never owned an American car or an automatic, but several VWs and a SAAB. I now drive a Hyundai (sp?) automatic and I love it.

Sorry for the long intro, but I don’t see what your comment about “they don’t buy American” means. I doubt very much that “they” make decisions not to buy American. They buy what they can afford, and older Am. cars were not as long lasting as the Japanese. Ergo, they buy Japanese.

47. redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 8:57 pm:

Krusty,

“They buy what they can afford, and older Am. cars were not as long lasting as the Japanese. Ergo, they buy Japanese”

off topic of what you speak….but I sure do miss the good ole American cars,the classics. :)

48. anon said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:48 pm:

Corey Stewart is a PATENT attorney which has absolutely nothing to do with illegals. Even the Washington Post article mentions that. Look up what a patent attorney does and you’ll see there is no connection.

Jeeesh! Some people are completely singleminded.

49. redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:08 pm:

from the article and I will make up MY mind as it is not single minded, IF this were directed to what I commented on. :)

50. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:35 pm:

anon
    Keep digging into what his firm does. Where he makes his money.

51. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:44 pm:

redawn - The old tuna boats with fins! Good Night!

52. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 11:02 pm:

/31/2004
    Immigration and Customs Class Action Case - Foley & Lardner, LLP

A group of Chicago lawyers represents a class of persons detained by the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and has succeeded in defending a motion to dismiss the action, having a class of detainees certified, and securing release from custody for many of the class members.

4/2/2005
    Wide Range of Matters in Washington, D.C. Foley & Lardner, LLP

In 2004, the Washington Office handled upwards of 40 poverty law client matters ranging from tenant eviction cases to wills, custody disputes, domestic relations, asylum and immigration, social security and veterans’ benefit claims.

/9/2007
    Attorney Helps Deaf Inmate Receive Hearing Aids Foley & Lardner, LLP

When one of our partners learned that a prison inmate wasn’t getting the replacement hearing aids he needed, he quickly responded to help him in partnership with the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs. The state had placed our client with other deaf and hard-of-hearing inmates into one facility without the proper hearing devices. The man’s hearing aids were slowly going bad and, even though the doctor recommended replacements, disputes between the prison and the HMO delayed the process so long that the inmate’s needs were not met.

Before filing suit based on the 8th Amendment, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment, and the Americans with Disabilities Act, our attorney tried to convince the prison to voluntarily supply the hearing aids. This approach worked, and he did not have to go through filing formal papers. The prison gave the hearing aids to our client and has taken some steps toward getting hearing aids for other inmates at the same facility

53. Billyboy said on 1 Dec 2007 at 12:12 am:

redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:08 pm:

Nohe is the most trust worthy BOS member, Stewart the least in my opinion.
    Stewart is a political opportunist at its worst. Stirrup acts from a sincere position, Corey goes with the wind.

Stewarts legaxy will be nearly bankrupting the county, its coming and soon.

54. anon said on 1 Dec 2007 at 8:14 am:

“Nohe added: “Corey doesn’t shy away from putting himself in the middle of controversy. He relishes being in the spotlight.”

Nohe commenting on someone relishing the spotlight????? What a joke! Read any article about the Prince William County Board and Nohe is quoted even if it has nothing to do with him. The spotlight was forced on Stewart because of the stands he takes. Nohe has always sought the spotlight and always will.

55. West Gate Witch said on 1 Dec 2007 at 11:26 am:

Nohe will do what he is told to do! Remember, one article actually gave the “Cabage Patch Kid” credit for rewriting the resolution. What a joke.

56. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 2:07 pm:

Nohe at least has roots in PWC as well as being a local business owner.

I see the summary of actions taken by the Honorable Mr. Stewart’s law firm. Guess becuase it’s him it’s okay? If this was a summary of Sharon Pandak’s firm it would be a separate thread with lots of !!!!!! This is may be a conservative blog, but I can safely conclude that it is not objective in the least.

57. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:21 pm:

One Voice,

Will you provide a link to that Washington Post article?

58. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:28 pm:

I don’t know how. It was in Thursday’s paper. If you go to the website for his firm Foley and Lardner, you can see the type of work they do. I am being told by Greg L on the Marshall Is In thread that there is a distinction because the Honorable is not an immigration lawyer but an international trade lawyer. My understanding is that attorney’s earn a portion of the firms income. So I don’t see any distinction.

It really irks me to see that this is defended. If it were anyone else, Nohe, Pandak - they would be skewered. Guess the writing is clear here.

59. Lafayette said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:36 pm:

One Voice,
    Yes Marty is a native like myself. He now has this on his BOS
    page. This was not on his web page until the last month or so. I sent him an email back in the summer. This is something he should’ve had on there from day one. Hilda has always on her page. However, I tend to agree with he follows others. Just my two cents. :)

60. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:44 pm:

Lafayette - I think I am confused - I don’t understand what you are referring to.

61. Lafayette said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:44 pm:

Dolph,
    I have the story I got it in form of email. It’s on it’s way.

62. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:47 pm:

You still have to look at his firms website to see what they are involved in and what pro bono cases they handle. I also see that they are based in Chicago. Wonder if Foley and Lerdner is hooked up with the U. of Chicago Law School. They handle the justice project and are one of the most liberal law schools in the US.

This guy is simply not as he appears.

63. Lafayette said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:49 pm:

One Voice,
    Each Supervisor has their on web page on BOS with bios. Hilda
    Barg has always had the fact she was a nativeon her page. Marty has only recently added that fact in the last month or two. I would think a Supervisor of their native county would have this in their bio. I must say I was very impressed with this from his webpage.http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=010016000310000411
    Marty and Kris recently formed a foundation to raise money to provide supplemental support for foster children in Prince William County, and are recipients of the 2006 Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute Angels in Adoption Award for their advocacy on behalf of children in foster care and efforts to encourage domestic adoption.

Sorry, for the confusion.

64. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:56 pm:

My fault - I get it now. Yes, I am a Nohe fan, from Appliance Connection to their adoption program. More children need to be adopted.

I see Nohe as the person that helps achieve progress through compromise. Unfortunately when dealing with human nature compromise is usually the only way to accomplish things. I also see him appear reticent when it comes to fiscal issues, he is quickly getting up to speed on that. Whether folks here like it or not the two strongest fiscally savvy supervisors are Jenkins and Caddigan. The Honorable has been trying to discredit Mrs. Caddigan at every opportunity - I sense he sees her as a threat to his credibility.

65. redawn said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:20 pm:

One Voice,

I agree totally with you ( the shoe on the other foot)

“This is may be a conservative blog, but I can safely conclude that it is not objective in the least.”

“It really irks me to see that this is defended. If it were anyone else, Nohe, Pandak - they would be skewered. Guess the writing is clear here”

66. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:23 pm:

One Voice,

I know of at least 5 votes Stewart didn’t get because of his open hostility and rudeness to Mr. Jenkins and Mrs. Caddigan. Even if they all hate each other’s guts, I expect them to all conduct themselves with proper decorum during a public meeting, rather than like a smart-aleck teenager.

67. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:23 pm:

Hey - where have you been??? Glad to hear you. :)

68. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:25 pm:

Dolph - you can add three more to that list :)

Redawn - that “hey…” was for you.

69. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:25 pm:

Chiming in now, albeit briefly. grin ~~splash~~

70. Lafayette said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:27 pm:

One Voice,
    I couldn’t agree more with regards to John J & Maureen C.

71. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:35 pm:

The next few months will prove this right….. Hopefully the bullying will stop now that the election is over otherwise there will be some serious long term damage done to PWC.

72. redawn said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:36 pm:

One Voice,

Hello to you too and glad to see you back around :)

SHOW ME THE MONEY! :)

Dolph,

RE: your post at 4:23

That was my number one reason that changed my view and found other reasons

73. Lafayette said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:38 pm:

Ladies,
    They all acted like smart-aleck teenagers that day. I was forced to get my camera out and go to video mode. I sat in the Chambers with my head hung in shame and embarassment for them all and our county. The place was packed with reporters that day.
    No swearing here when speaking with ladies. :)

74. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:40 pm:

Redawn,

I was including you in the tally. Actually I had 6. Forgot about someone.

One Voice,

Well then that’s 9 then. I am sure we weren’t the only ones who felt that way. I don’t care much for bully behavior, even it that wasn’t the intent. Appearances are everything in the public eye.

75. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 4:48 pm:

The incident I saw on tv was one sided. I feel the job of the chair is to bridge differences rather than use the position as a bully pulpit. However, the reality is, the chair can do whatever it wants.

76. redawn said on 1 Dec 2007 at 6:37 pm:

One Voice,

Is this the article you were looking for?

” Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:21 pm:
    One Voice,
    Will you provide a link to that Washington Post article?”

“One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 3:28 pm:
    I don’t know how. It was in Thursday’s paper. If you go to the website for his firm Foley and Lardner, you can see the type of work they do. “

77. Greg L said on 1 Dec 2007 at 8:17 pm:

Again, this garbage about Corey Stewart (or his firm) practicing immigration law is a bunch of BS. Go to http://www.foley.com/services/services.aspx and see for yourself. Here’s the list of practice areas for the firm:

Industry Teams

Other Services
    Arbitrage Rebate
    FOLEY ClientSuite
    FOLEY PrivateOffice®
    KnowledgeGate™
    Litigation Support Services

Unless someone here REALLY wants to learn a hard lesson about defamation law, I’d suggest you steer clear of trying to lie about what a law firm does. They can litigate against folks just for the heck of it, if there is merit to a case, and defending against a lawsuit filed by and on behalf of a huge DC law firm will bankrupt a defendant in no time.

Take note that if this law firm requests information about anyone posting unlawful defamatory information on this thread, I will be inclined to fully comply with such a request.

You’ve been warned.

78. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 8:40 pm:

Foley has long been committed to the principle of pro bono publico: for the public good. We encourage our attorneys to contribute their time to provide quality legal services to financially precarious nonprofit organizations. We approach pro bono matters with the same degree of respect and diligence as fee-generating legal services.
    Foley has adopted a firm-wide policy to support and encourage pro bono work. As a result, we logged 30,845 pro bono hours in 2005, more than double our 2003 total.

Read our Pro Bono Policy.

Our pro bono activities run the gamut of providing services to individuals, legal aid societies, or civil rights organizations to representing non-profit organizations in strategic projects and litigation matters. In recent years, our firm has provided significant representation in matters referred to us by such public interest firms as the AIDS Legal Clinic, Pro Bono Advocates, and Public Counsel.

Foley was one of the founders of the Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI), an organization that facilitates the provision of pro bono services to legal aid organizations by law students and recent law school graduates. Foley is a signatory to PILI’s Pro Bono Statement of Principles and a signatory to the American Bar Association Law Firm Challenge – 60 hours per attorney per year on pro bono matters.

Along with the positive effect pro bono service has on our communities, our attorneys are exposed to experiences and areas of law, procedures, and clients that often are not available in our day-to-day work. This results in enhanced professional development and personal satisfaction opportunities for our attorneys — truly a win-win scenario for our communities, our clients, and our firm.

Foley performs work in almost every area of public interest law. A substantial portion of our work over the past two years has included immigration and asylum law as well as civil and children’s rights.

Children’s Rights

Asylum Granted for Albanian Refugees Fleeing Persecution

Political Asylum for Persecuted Iranian Jew

Deportation Cancelled for Parents of Boy With Heart Condition

Immigration and Customs Class Action Case

Poverty
    Homelessness Prevention Project

Wide Range of Matters in Washington, D.C.

Attorneys Partner to Assist the Homeless

Community Development Programs

Woman Saved from Dubious Real Estate Deal

Saving Elderly Woman From Losing Home for Unpaid Taxes

79. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 8:43 pm:

3/31/2004
    Immigration and Customs Class Action Case

FYI - I usually have facts first.

80. Greg L said on 1 Dec 2007 at 8:52 pm:

I guess there aren’t a lot of impoverished corporations out there looking for pro-bono representation. Since most of the pro-bono work is referred from the bar association, if you have a problem with the cases that Foley and Lardner gets referred to them in order to fulfill practice requirements, I suggest you take that up with the bar association.

This tangent is ridiculous. Corey Stewart is not in bed with immigration lawyers.

81. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 8:56 pm:

I have seen nothing defamatory posted here. Has a comment been removed? I have only seen questions asked. It sounds to me like someone has stepped on one of the sacred cows. I will heed the warning. I will not say that a law firm provides any services it might not provide. Geez.

82. One Voice said on 1 Dec 2007 at 9:05 pm:

me too and me either :)

83. redawn said on 1 Dec 2007 at 9:37 pm:

I was just ASKING, being CAREFUL not to ASSUME and of course this waring is reminding me of the saying “curiosity kills the cat” well, I amy have the quote wrong, so : SOMETHING to that effect.

84. Concerned in PWC said on 2 Dec 2007 at 12:00 pm:

I’m waiting for the people here at PWC to start holding Stewart and the rest of the hacks accountable for the over-building, over-crowding, and over-investing going on that’s driven our home values down 20 to 30%. These characters gave the builders carte blanc permits and are creating a disaster. This immigration thing is nothing but a distractor.