LAWSUIT DISMISSED

By Greg L | 30 November 2007 | Illegal Aliens, Prince William County | 51 Comments

The Potomac News is reporting that the lawsuit filed by the Woodbridge Workers Committee against Prince William County was dismissed for lack of standing by the plaintiffs during a hearing this morning at U.S. District Court in Alexandria.

At a brief hearing Friday in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Judge James Cacheris said the plaintiffs lacked standing to challenge the resolution passed earlier this year by the Prince William County Board of Supervisors.

Exactly as I expected.

UPDATE: Corey Stewart tells me that this was fully expected, since none of the plaintiffs were able to demonstrate that they had been harmed by the passage of the resolution, although this is not the end of the lawsuits. After the resolution is implemented, further legal challenges are expected. Corey is confident that those efforts will be unsuccessful as well, since the county is working really hard to ensure that the implementation is performed in a fair manner which will meet or exceed all legal requirements.

UPDATE 2: Apparently illegal aliens are moving to Fairfax County in such numbers that folks processing applications for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program are currently overwhelmed with new applications from illegal aliens, who are entitled to benefits under this program according to federal law.

Also, the DC Examiner has a story up about this, with some interesting reactions from the players in this little drama.  While Ricardo Juarez was yet again obviously disappointed, Corey Stewart was relishing the latest in a string of unbroken victories:

Prince William County Chairman Corey Stewart replied: “It reminds me of Baghdad Bob saying, ‘hey, don’t mind those American M-1 tanks rolling by, we have everything under control.’

“This is a major setback for the critics of the resolution and it’s a big win for Prince William County.”

Ricardo Juarez as Baghdad Bob.  That’s a pretty funny analogy.

1. West said on 30 Nov 2007 at 12:18 pm:

When will these “plaintiffs” get the message. GIVE IT UP!
    The resolution will stand. The appeal will get shot down too.

2. Johnson said on 30 Nov 2007 at 12:21 pm:

We live in a democratic society. The majority rules. Tough beans to the illegal alien lobby. Those who don’t care for PWC can exercise thier right to move about the country freely. May I suggest Montgomery County, Maryland?

3. park'd said on 30 Nov 2007 at 12:41 pm:

I suggest they move to Fairfax Station, Clifton or Great Falls myself. Once that happens then you will be so amazed at how fast legislation passes in the senate that it will make your head spin. Liberals and politicians will only get it once their neighborhoods are turned into barrios and the blight is at their front step.

4. reallyfedup said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:10 pm:

great poing park’d… once they move from county to county I think you will see those counties doing the same thing.

5. James Young said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:50 pm:

Cacheris is decisive. I had a case a few years back that was wrongfully removed to his Court. I moved to remand. In motions practice, the movant generally goes first and last. I did my schpiel, and the union lawyer did his. As I rose to give my reply, Judge Cacheris raised his hand, said “I’m ready to rule,” and reached into his robe and proceeded to read a five-page, handwritten opinion into the record, granting my motion.

The union didn’t like the outcome, so it moved for reconsideration. This time, he went first. As I rose to oppose, Judge Cacheris raised his hand, said “I’m ready to rule,” and reached into his robe and proceeded to read a TWO-page, handwritten opinion into the record, denying the union’s motion to reconsider.

I think that’s among what they mean when they called the Eastern District of Virginia the “Rocket Docket.”

6. anonymoustoo said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:57 pm:

“Ricardo Juarez as Baghdad Bob.” Or George Bush…”Mission accomplished”.

7. Vigilant1 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:03 pm:

This is great news. Maybe a bunch more illegals will hit the road after hearing this!.

The following was recieved from Grassroots.org and shows how out of touch our government is with the people of this country. I hope this case comes back to bite Pelosi and her arrogant Hispanic caucus you know where!

Steve Elliott, President
    Grassfire.org Alliance

11/29/2007 Federal Government suing the Salvation Army

The headline is correct. The Federal Government has filed suit
    against the Salvation Army and is targeting other businesses
    that require employees to speak English on the job.

The Salvation Army Thrift Store being targeted by the Equal
    Opportunities Commission (EEOC) clearly posted its “speak English”
    requirements and gave employees one year to learn the language.
    But the EEOC still filed suit saying this was a “civil
    rights” violation.

And it’s getting worse. Last year, over 200 similar charges
    were filed with the EEOC — up from just a handful ten years ago.

Nancy Pelosi sides with EEOC’s anti-English attacks

To make matters worse, Nancy Pelosi and Congress’ Hispanic
    Caucus have teamed up to block an effort to put an end to
    the EEOC’s attacks on businesses that require English.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) proposed a provision to the Commerce,
    Justice, Science Appropriations Bill (HR 3093, S. 1745) that
    would prevent the EEOC from such legal attacks. The full Senate
    passed the bill–with the Alexander provision. The House also
    greed to the amendment, but later withdrew support after the
    Hispanic Caucus threatened to stonewall other House bills unless
    the provision was removed. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
    agreed, saying the House will not vote on the bill until the
    English language provision is terminated.

In other words, Pelosi and a small group of Congressmen
    are defending the EEOC’s efforts to sue organizations like the
    Salvation Army that require English on the job!

Tell Pelosi and the Hispanic Caucus “English is spoken here”

Grassfire is urging ALL members of our team to take immediate
    action in two critical ways:

1. Call Nancy Pelosi and demand she move H.R. 3093
    forward with the Alexander provision.

Here is her contact information: 202/225-4965

2. Fax the Speaker of the House and the Hispanic Caucus
    demanding they stop devaluing the English language.

As citizens we cannot allow a small group of lawmakers
    to hold Congress hostage while they support the EEOC’s
    anti-English attacks!

Action Expected Within Days

Before Congress closes up shop for the year, Nancy Pelosi will
    push this bill forward. That’s why over the next week, I want
    to flood her office and every member of the Hispanic Caucus with
    thousands of phone calls and faxes saying “We speak English in America!”

I believe grassroots Americans can make a significant enough impact
    on Pelosi to have her move the bill forward with the Alexander
    provision intact. But it starts with you.

If you don’t want to take advantage of Grassfire’s Faxfire fax
    technology, send the faxes on your own by downloading the targets,
    and letters–that you can personalize!

Regardless of the method you choose, I urge you to TAKE ACTION!

Remember, Nancy Pelosi will move this bill forward before the end
    of the year. That means within the next two weeks, something will
    be done on this bill.

Before that happens, I want to make certain you have
    “weighed-in” on this critical issue that attacks our sovereignty
    and national identity.

Thanks for your phenomenal support of Grassfire.

Steve Elliott
    President
    Grassfire.org Alliance

8. Batson D. Belfrey said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:21 pm:

“anonymoustoo said on 30 Nov 2007 at 1:57 pm:
    “Ricardo Juarez as Baghdad Bob.” Or George Bush…”Mission accomplished”.”

I think Stewart was referring to the plantiff’s attorney calling the dismissal a “minor set-back”.

This comment reminded me of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the Green Knight’s arm gets chopped off by Arthur and he say “What? It’s only a flesh-wound”

9. G Man said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:29 pm:

Boom, Boom, Boom, another one bites the dust!
    Prince Wm Rule of Law - 4, Pro-Illegal Apologists - 0

10. Advocator said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:40 pm:

Keep em rollin’, rollin’, rollin’.
    Though the Potomac’s swollen.
    Keep them Illegals rollin’, to Maryland. Hah!

11. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:47 pm:

Off topic, but I heard through someone within the Manassas City Public schools that a certain Elementary school has 10 new kindergarteners that do not even know their own name. When asked what their name was, they reply either “mami”, “papi”, or “mi amore”. No joke.

12. Mando said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:49 pm:

Ooops… Anonymous 2:47pm was me.

13. Howard the Duck said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:59 pm:

Here is a link to the EEOC case from the other side’s website:

I can think of a very good reason to force English Only on the job. Laws require that workplaces be free of harassment, right? How is the supervisor to be aware that non English discussions are free of harassing language?

14. Vigilant1 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:06 pm:

Howard the Duck said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:59 pm:
    Here is a link to the EEOC case from the other side’s website:

The suit by the Hispanics seeks “monetary relief.” ENOUGH SAID!

15. Bob Sentz said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:09 pm:

Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:47 pm:
    ———————————————————————-

16. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:19 pm:

Howard the Duck said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:59 pm:

EXACTLY! And I’d bet my bottom dollar that there is a boat load of it going on!

17. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:19 pm:

Anon above is manassascityresident - forgot to reset…..

18. Riley said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:23 pm:

Bob, my wife teachers kindergarten and she had one like that this year. The kid just showed up. The only way anyone knew the kid’s name was a couple other students knew him and said, “Oh, that’s…” The kid wasn’t ESOL, either.

19. Dave in PWC said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:25 pm:

So now that we win again, it’s time to set up the car insurance roadblock/checks to see who has car insurance and who doesn’t, along with driver’s licenses. We can do what Georgia does and impound the cars and then sell them and put the money in the coffers to help offset the loss of monies from the state for our police.

I feel a little bad for my friends in Fairfax county since they are starting to see the effects of the illegals moving out of our county, but I don’t feel that bad.

20. Bob Sentz said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:31 pm:

Riley-What do you suppose are these kids’ stories?

21. 999 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:40 pm:

Dave in PWC said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:25 pm:

In Massachusetts, in order to get license plates for your car, you had to show proof of insurance. NO INSURANCE, NO PLATES. The same procedure when you re-newed them. Pretty cut and dry.

22. Mando said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:47 pm:

@Bob

“”"These kids have most likely been instructed by their parents to not give any information to the gringoes. Can you imagine any child of that age not knowing their name??? Come on!!!”"”

“”"Riley-What do you suppose are these kids’ stories?”"”

They don’t know their name. Really. Piss poor parenting. Nothing more, nothing less.

23. Mando said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:50 pm:

Oh, forgot to add, they were asked their name in both Spanish and English.

24. Bob Sentz said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:11 pm:

Mando-I’ve never heard of a kindergartner not knowing their name. For crying out loud most kids answer to their name by the age of two. I guess it’s possible, that the non-parents only refer to their kid’s as ‘mi-amore’, mami (pronounced mommie) same for papi (poppie).

25. Leeroy Jenkins said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:16 pm:

This little bit of news just made my day! I encourage all illegals to proceed directly to Maryland, where they will roll out the carpet for you!

26. Anonymous said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:24 pm:

Bob Sentz said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:11 pm:

Well it sounds better than Uno, Dos, Tres, Quatro etc etc

27. Rick Bentley said on 30 Nov 2007 at 4:45 pm:

If that Fairfax/WIC info is true, this really bears disclosure and exposure in the local media.

28. Ted said on 30 Nov 2007 at 5:03 pm:

Re: speaking English on the job.

When I was in the Army in Germany 28 years ago there was a large number of Hispanic/Latino/pick your description soldiers, mostly Puerto Rican, many of whom spoke limited English. A certain corps commander issued a policy letter saying that soldiers were to speak English while on duty.

The policy lasted about 24 hours before it rescinded in the face of a torent of “outrage” from the usual EO types, Congressmen etc.

Some units, including mine, were seriously considering putting all the Hispanic/Latino soldiers in the same squad, gun crew etc with a native Spanish speaking NCO in charge so they could at least understand orders.

That idea didn’t last too long either.

29. Maureen Wood said on 30 Nov 2007 at 5:04 pm:

So, does that mean there is no reason for Chavez (is is Linda?) to come to PWC?

30. Advocator said on 30 Nov 2007 at 5:24 pm:

Ted: The III Corps Cdr at Fort Hood tried the same thing about the same time. I was the XO of a 155mm SP Field Artillery Battery there, and half my gun crews couldn’t understand the firing commands from the FDC. At that time I was fluent in Espanol, and spent many hours drilling my Hispanic troops in English so we didn’t send steel into Copperas Cove. We disregarded the order and, like the good soldiers we all were, worked it out ourselves.

31. go4gin said on 30 Nov 2007 at 5:45 pm:

32. josh said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:00 pm:

I keep getting these robo calls since school started from the fairfax county school district about a kid missing school. I dont even live in fairfax. I called them to remove me from their list and found that a kid named “jorge” was missing school.

maybe “jorges” parents need to make sure his a&& is in school.

I went to walmart today about 11:00am and saw about 10-15 hispanic school age kids on bikes way to small for them orbiting the parking lot. Wonder where there parents are? why are they not in school?

My theory is that for the younger grades k-4 or so, they are just looking for free, tax-payer provided daycare provided by the school system while they work. Then once they are old enough the parents probably dont give a damn if they go to school or not so they likely hit the streets during the day.

It seems to make a bit of sense, the kindergardens in this area are packed with hispanic kids who no habla…..

33. Lafayette said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:44 pm:

Josh,
    I spotted three truants myself this afternoon. I called PWCPD and they sent someone out, but the “tres amigas” had fled the area. All three girls had bicyles, 2 looked middle school age, and one looked to be in about 4th or 5th grade. Maybe, the parents had taken them out of school for the day to conduct business in English for them. I see this frequently around. Have you noticed anything like that down your way?

34. es_la_ley said on 30 Nov 2007 at 6:52 pm:

go4gin : “OUTSTANDING! Way to go PW County, I’m waiting for this to happen in my State. Maybe more will now get the lead out and start enforcing the LAW.”

Oh, I believe PWC is a test case and many jurisdictions were waiting to see what would become of this before they enact their own resolutions. And they should start now, and not wait for the appeal (if any) decision.

Open the flood gates and let them file suits and appeals. Keep ‘em bogged down and bankrupt them.

35. Lafayette said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:09 pm:

es_la_ley,
    Let them keep throwing their money right down the drain.
    Other jurisdictions act now, and don’t let the illegals invade your communities.
    go4gin,
    What state do live in?

36. Lafayette said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:10 pm:

corr,
    go4gin, What state do YOU live in?

37. Leeroy Jenkins said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:11 pm:

I must say that I am proud of PWC lately. Watching the Democratic and Republican debates lately…I’m absolutely convinced that the illegal immigration issue will never be properly dealt with at the Federal level, and it will be up to local governments to decide for themselves whether they are sanctuary areas or not. I haven’t heard one candidate take a strong stance on immigration. I’ve read their websites, and several claim they will, but on the debate floor, they seem to waffle. So I tend to agree that PWC is leading the way and other localities will follow our lead.

38. josh said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:27 pm:

I have noticed this,

the kids speaking english for their parents so they dont have too. I actually saw this at my local giant this evening, a young kid speaking but the mom sat their mute in line. I never really paid it much attention though until recently when I started seeing alot of it.

what’s really cool, is that my kids private school isnt full of non-english speaking kids. The only un-cool thing about it, I have to pay big bucks for it. I definitely could use that cash to some other purpose, like buying a bigger house or dumping more cash into savings.

I would love to put my kids in public school, but I just cant now.

josh

39. es_la_ley said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:34 pm:

Lafayette: “Let them keep throwing their money right down the drain. PWC is leading the way, and other juridistions should not delay any longer, and also don’t wait until it lands on their doorsteps.”

Basically what I said. :-)

“Other jurisdictions act now…”

Especially those under the jurisdiction of that Judge.

——————————————————

James C. Cacheris
    United States District Court in the Eastern District of Virginia.

The Eastern District of Virginia has within its jurisdiction the following counties and independent cities:

Counties: Accomack, Amelia, Arlington, Brunswick, Caroline, Charles City, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Essex, Fairfax, Fauquier, Gloucester, Goochland, Greensville, Hanover, Henrico, Isle of Wight, James City, King and Queen, King George, King William, Lancaster, Loudoun, Lunenburg, Mathews, Mecklenburg, Middlesex, New Kent, Northampton, Northumberland, Nottoway, Powhatan, Prince Edward, Prince George, Prince William, Richmond, Southampton, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Surry, Sussex, Westmoreland, York.

Cities: Alexandria, Chesapeake, Colonial Heights, Emporia, Fairfax, Falls Church, Franklin, Fredericksburg, Hampton, Hopewell, Manassas, Manassas Park, Newport News, Norfolk, Petersburg, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Richmond, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg.

40. Lafayette said on 30 Nov 2007 at 7:55 pm:

es_la_ley,
    Thank for the list of Counties and Cities.
    I was struck from jury duty back in October in Alexandria.
    The case was a deportation case from good ole PWC.
    The resolution is working. On my street we’ve have 5 houses now self deport and a couple of foreclosures too.

41. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 8:59 pm:

josh 7:27 - I thought you’d feel good about the kids speaking English. That’s what we want, isn’t it? Furthermore, they’re able to translate from one language to another. That’s a terrific skill. So, as you could see in the store, Latino kids DO learn English.

42. West Gate Witch said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:16 pm:

Krusty-I think you miss the point the parents(supposed responsible parties) that don’t speak English, and need their children to translate. How responsible of a parent can you be if you can’t speak the language of our land. Well, of course the Latino kids learn English, we have this little thing called ESOL.

43. redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:27 pm:

West Gate Witch,

Actually,I have to agree with you as in another way to “manipulate” parents. How is that being a responsible parent, knowing you can be snowed even more…how responsible is that?
    That is what I think as a mother of teenagers :(

44. redawn said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:29 pm:

Sorry, I of course, did it again. Leaving English skills and translation to the kids only come back to bite the parents in the butt in this way…

45. Princess Billy-Bob said on 30 Nov 2007 at 11:07 pm:

WGW and redawn,

You have hit the nail on the head. Kids are bad enough about pulling the wool over their parents’ eyes. If you have a non-English speaking parent, the kids are able to pull off even bigger heists than their native born counterparts with English speaking parents. This is a huge problem for schools, especially if no translator is available. So many people look at this as a benefit to the illegal population. It isn’t. It is a benefit to the schools when they need to tell the parents that their child needs a kick in the tail or that their child is failing, misbehaving, needs to shape up, etc.

People who do not learn English simply have no power over their own destiny or the destiny of their children. This problem is not exclusive to the hispanic population. It has been an ear-mark of immigrant populations who arrived from non-English speaking countries throughout our history as a country.

46. josh said on 1 Dec 2007 at 10:21 am:

Krusty,

as a speaker of multiple languages I’ll tell you that children learn languages far easier than adults. As a former student of the defense language institute I know how hard learning languages can be. However my point wasnt that they couldnt learn, it’s that they snow the adults and the adults refuse to assimilate.

That said, adults who make the effort can learn as well too…it’s just that these particular folks choose not too. That’s called laziness.

I dont have my kids translate for me and they learn both english and german and my daughter can speak both almost equally with english being dominant.

47. Dolph said on 1 Dec 2007 at 12:36 pm:

Josh,

Historically, waves of immigrants who live in cloistered communities who are ‘right off the boat’ don’t learn English. Why don’t they? It isn’t necessary for them learn English to function. If you look at the immigration of Poles, Italians, Greeks and Jews, for example, you will see pretty much the same thing. Those who left the protection of larger city enclaves and went to smaller areas with fewer ethnic communities, learned English faster and therefore assimilated faster.

This appears to be a human condition, rather than laziness. The kids learn English in school and the assimilation process speeds up. There would not be the emphasis on ESOL were it not for state and federally mandated tests.

48. ateacher said on 1 Dec 2007 at 2:41 pm:

I am currently reading: The Working Poor, for a class I am attending. In one section of the book, the author notes that immigrants who do not learn English because they are of the belief that the can “get by” without learning the language, actually do a diservice to themselves and their families. Failure to learn the language of the country they reside in causes them to remain marginalized, un-assimilated, and in many cases forces them to remain living below the poverty level due to lack of decent paying jobs. As far as Eng speaking students being able to snow their non-Eng speaking parents…I’ve seen it happen. I had a student that was always tired at school. A Spn speaking social worker went to speak with mom about why her children were not going to bed at a decent hour. The mom showed the social worker a letter in Eng her teenage son brought home from school. Mom of course neither spoke nor read Eng. She asked her son what it said, and he told her that the school sent her the note to tell her that she was to let her children go to bed when they wanted. The letter actually was about an upcoming event at school. But the mom really believed that the school could dictate when and if she sent her kids to bed. It was funny, but in a sad way. There are parents that do want to learn English. Many churches have a waiting list for their English courses, and my school has the BEACON program, and many parents participate. I find this to be very positive.

49. josh said on 1 Dec 2007 at 7:23 pm:

ateacher,

I know this is probably a true story but that’s about crazy…was the parent that stupid to believe the school would send such a letter? I think language was a problem but the big issue there was common sense. As a parent, regardless of language, I think warning bells would go off in my head if my kid told me that. The parent needs to be the one to attend school, on how to be a parent!

I think I would have laughed…all the way to my kids bedroom where I would force him to lay in bed until he fell asleep.

Seems like a combination of non-assimilation and lazy parenting.

50. Not Over Yet said on 3 Dec 2007 at 3:16 pm:

A couple of things:

(1) You can rest assured Howrey (Plaintiff’s counsel) has the resources to fight this out.

(2) This wasn’t a decision on the merits. It’s still possible that Plaintiffs could find folks with standing to challenge the statute.

(3) Standing issues can be awfully complex and it’s a little surprising that the Judge granted the motion from the bench w/o a thorough explanation.

51. Student said on 28 Feb 2008 at 5:07 pm:

Its so funny to hear all of saying,” go back, keep em rolling” and you all are the first ones in making lines in Chipotle and ordering tacos and probably employing hispanic maids to clean your dirty houses. You are a bunch of hipocrites who just can’t stand the fact that hispnics are one day going to surpass your race. You like it or not they are hard working much more than your lazy selfs.