Romney Qualifies for VA Ballot

By RHarrison | 30 November 2007 | National Politics | 19 Comments

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney became the first person to qualify for the Virginia Republican presidential primary yesterday. He submitted almost 15,500 signatures to the state, 50% more than was needed.

Virginia has one of the hardest ballot qualification processes in the country. To get on a state-wide primary ballot, candidates need to collect 10,000 signatures from registered voters, with at least 400 coming from each Congressional district. Moreover, these signatures have to be gathered by registered Virginia voters, so you can’t fly in volunteers from other places or just hire high school kids to do it.

I am not aware of any recent Presidential polls from our state, and doubt they would be very useful anyway as few people are focusing on the Presidential race yet. But Romney’s ability to qualify for the ballot so quickly suggests that he has a strong team of volunteers in the state, and has for a while now.

In addition to showing strength, my understanding is that candidates will be listed on the ballot in the order they qualify, so Romney’s name will be at the top. A small thing, but small things can make a difference.

Lt. Governor Bill Bolling is coordinating Romney’s Virginia campaign. He should be congratulated for demonstrating his state-wide organizational skills by gathering the signatures so quickly.

Candidates from other campaigns have until Dec. 14th to submit their signatures.

1. /\/\3|)iç 64 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:15 am:

Va doesn’t have the clout of NH or IA for some reason. I think this is why the other candidates have not focused on us yet. They still have 2 weeks. I am sure we will see the rest coming as soon as the other early primaries states have been properly seeded. (c:

2. The Richmond Democrat said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:25 am:

I think you mean first Republican; I thought Obama got his in first.

3. Billyboy said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:41 am:

I liked Romney before the CNN/ Youtube debate. He did a terrible job dancing around the gay’s in the military question. Huckabee did very well through the entire debate. The Republican Party has to nominate the person most likely to beat Billary.

4. freedom said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:51 am:

Has Jimmy Young qualified yet….oh, I mean in any way other than his own mind…:)

5. Advocator said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:52 am:

Stephen Dinan, in a W/T article today, says the Huckster’s a disaster on the Illegal Invasion. See http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/NATION/111300094/1001

6. SLB said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:53 am:

Great…maybe Romney can wear his special underwear.

7. /\/\3|)iç 64 said on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:58 am:

Billyboy, didn’t you see where the person asking the gays in the military question is the chairman for Hillary’s gay and lesbian steering committee? The questions were suppose to be from UNDECIDED republican voters. At the last count I heard, there were 7 of the 20 questions asked by people that have Democratic ties. I find this disturbing. BTW, the version of the debate that was aired later in the evening, had the gay general edited out.

I found his answer right on spot. He would get information from the military commanders BEFORE making a decision. I find that to be the right answer. I do not want a leader that will stand in a debate and give answers right from the hip. I want one that will stand there and tell me he doesn’t know everything and is willing to look to those with more experience for guidance. A good leader will look to their subordinates for information before making a decision. AN informed decision will be better than a shot from the hip decision 99.9% of the time!

8. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the 40,000th post award) said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:04 am:

The Republican candidates were warned not to do this. I am glad in a way that they did. One it shows they are not afraid of the media like the Democrats are (Fox News debate being declined). It also has given a way for the media to have egg on their face for the way this was handled. One of CNN’s own contributors called them on the mistake with the General. At one point the General’s mic failed, I think it was on purpose, but they quickly ushered another one to him. The question was answered, just not to his liking or seeing the chance to be on TV with 15 minutes of fame, he told them it wasn’t. My question to the Gay General is this: Why did you wait until you were out of the Military to openly admit you were gay? Could it be because of the discharge that wouldn’t allow you to keep your retirement?

9. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:11 am:

3Dic 64 - Would YOU have openly admitted something that would deprive you of your military retirement? Think hard!

10. Advocator said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:12 am:

/\/\3|)iç 64:

Is the gay general on this blog?

11. Advocator said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:16 am:

Is Krusty the gay general?

12. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the 40,000th post award) said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:21 am:

Krusty,

It would depend on how I felt about it honestly. Since I am not gay, I wouldn’t have admitted that. I do not think he should come out flaming all those who do not agree with him or his vision of how gays should be treated, if he himself didn’t walk in the shoes of the gays in the military.
    _________________________________________________

Advocator,

I do not know if he is or not. I would like to have that question posed to him and see what his answer is though. If he wants respect for his view, then he should have been willing to come out while in uniform and face the consequences to add validity to his argument, IMHO. Since he chose to wait until afterwards, he hasn’t done anything for the gays in the military. I was in the military when don’t ask don’t tell was implemented. I didn’t want to know, but you knew which ones were and which ones weren’t after that was implemented. Before it was implemented, everyone seemed the same. This is my PERSONAL observation and should not reflect the views of the US Navy.

13. John Light said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:34 am:

I thought Romney’s answer to the Confederate Flag question was as stupid as the question. While I support the flag (have quite a few of my own), in typical Yankee fashion he bent over backwards giving the most PC answer he could. Though Fred’s answer was not much better, he, Fred T., was more honest and less “political”.

As far as the gays in the military, well, this is NOT a new issue. I think that that one Marine General was right on when he said that it is an abhorrent lifestyle and not compatible with the military. If you do your job but keep it in the closet, no problem. But you start “talking the talk” and doing ANYTHING that will hurt troop morale, then we have a serious issue.

Think of it like this. If you are a female and you knew that your husband, who is serving overseas, is sharing a foxhole (NOT a very big place to rest…trust me) with another man, how would you feel? You TRUST him and that he won’t do anything, but then he sends you a message stating that when he and this girl he is sharing the foxhole with were wrapped around each other to keep warm (again, if you have not been in a foxhole in the winter, you have no idea) she made some unwelcome moves. How would you feel??? Ok, now change that to a homosexual male making the moves.

The odds are that the Enlisted Male will do one of two things. If the female he will either a) politely decline or b) take full advantage. Now, if it is a homosexual male, he will either a) beat the crap out of him or b) smash his head in with the butt of his M-16 A2, drag him out to the area designated for defacation, and dump him in.

Any candidate worth their salt should call a spade a spade and say that while homosexuality is a sin in most religions and abhorrent as a lifestyle, our current policy is “don’t ask, don’t tell” and until the courts rule otherwise that is the law of the land.

14. John Light said on 30 Nov 2007 at 10:47 am:

Funny story about gays in the military. When I was at NAVAIR my Navy boss was Lt. Tracy Thorne. He was the homosexual aviator who marched in his dress whites at the front of a Gay Pride parade in DC the day after then President Clinton said that it was ok to be gay in the military.

Well, the Navy proceeded to kick him out. Full disclosure, Lt. Thorne was one of the BEST bosses I have ever had and would argue on our (I was a Help Desk phone tech at the time) defense to the rude Navy Civilians. His phrase to me was, “What are they going to do, keep me in???” and then smile.

He was dismissed from the Navy and then he and his boyfriend moved down to Richmond. About 3 months after he got out, the Navy sent him a letter requesting he report to NAVAIR in Crystal City so he could receive his Good Conduct Medal!!! Needless to say, he came WITH his boyfriend. We ALL got a good laugh out of that one.

15. Red Woman said on 30 Nov 2007 at 11:09 am:

I’m actually okay with “don’t ask, don’t tell.” The issue is morale in the military. I think it is one of the best policies they could have come up with, imperfect though it is.

Adultery among members of the opposite sex is also a sin and abhorrent, and is also punishable in the military. That often is forgotten in the debate. The military is not singling out gays, it is singling out HUMAN behaviors that can damage morale.

16. Krusty said on 30 Nov 2007 at 11:17 am:

Red Woman has it right. It’s the behavior that counts. Thanks!

17. John Light said on 30 Nov 2007 at 11:28 am:

Red - I agree with you and the military is held to a MUCH higher standard than the rest of us. Who does not remember the Air Force One pilot being removed for adultry under President Clinton. He was separated from his wife (the divorce was taking an unusually long time) and even his ex had NO problem (and said so to the military lawyers) with him dating again as she was living with her boyfriend.

Well, the pilot was removed (I forget if just from his position or from the military) but Bill kept his job. This has EVERYTHING to do with morale, as Red, Krusty, and I have pointed out.

18. Gurduloo said on 30 Nov 2007 at 2:46 pm:

But gays can’t commit adultery since they can’t legally be married.

19. Dolph said on 30 Nov 2007 at 3:39 pm:

Gurduloo,

Sure they can. The married gays with heterosexual spouses most certainly can commit adultery. Happens all the time.