video production in Manassas and Prince William County

An Interesting Approach To Spanish-Language Signs

By Greg L | 4 December 2007 | Local Economy | 112 Comments

I got this a while back, and it’s too good to leave languishing in my inbox.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Shoppers of Manassas up by Costco. I went in the other day and was tired of seeing some sign in Spanish on the door. I walked in reached around and took the sign down. I walked over to the customer service manager and said, “I do not approve of signs in anything other than English. Do not put this back up.” I have not been there since but will return and do the same thing again. The employee said nothing to me, just looked very shocked.

I always say speak English loudly every chance I get If we all acted this way irresistible pressure would be created and fall upon local businesses and elected leaders.

The key here is to not damage any store property in any way, but to just bring it to the management with the request that they not display it. This could make one heck of a powerful statement if enough people did the same thing. At this point in the year, I imagine the last thing retail managers want to do is be constantly fooling with signage instead of managing their customers.

I’ve found that retail organizations can be awfully accommodating to the wishes of their customers. Maybe this is a good time to ask for a few accommodations?

1. Leeroy Jenkins said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:48 am:

I was in Lowe’s the other day. I wanted to buy a birthday gift card for my father. They only have one gift card that says “Happy Birthday” and right below it in letters almost as big is “felix cumpleanos”. It really sort of ruins the thing for me. I don’t know why, but that really irritated me. Good for you, I say.

2. Doug Mataconis said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:08 am:

Why don’t Lowe’s and Shoppers have the right to put up a sign in Spanish or sell a Spanish-language birthday card ?

You don’t have to like it, and you can stop shopping there if you want, but pulling that sign down comes pretty close to destruction of private property.

3. El Guapo said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:28 am:

Doug,
    Lowe’s and Shoppers have every right to put up signs in Spanish and sell Spanish language birthday cards, and they freely exercise that right (as do Walmart, Home Depot, Target, CVS, Giant, and many other area retail establishments). Customers do NOT have the right to take down signs in stores without permission even though they’re annoyed.

I get annoyed too. Someone speaking loudly every chance they get annoys me. Having to watch trailers of Justin Timberlake’s “Alpha Dog” movie while I was in the theatre to see a Bruce Willis movie annoyed me. But I didn’t take down the movie screen. All the Hannah Montana stuff in stores annoys me too. But I don’t remove it from the shelves and tell some poor employee that I don’t approve of it.

[I’m sure a lot of us are annoyed at all the Hannah Montana stuff. CAN I GET AN “AMEN”?!?! That’s one thing we can all agree on. Am I right?]

We all get annoyed. Whether it’s some senior citizen driving 45 mph in the left land with the turn signal blinking or a sign in Spanish, we all get annoyed by something, and there are both appropriate and inappropriate ways to deal with it.

4. Leeroy Jenkins said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:46 am:

Doug,

You—————————————————————–The Point

Lowes has every right to do what they want, as does Sears, Shoppers, and any other store (and the American people are so dumb that we reward them to doing things we don’t like). What I’m griping about (and moderately, I might add) is that your point about “you can always shop somewhere else” is actually not as valid as I wish it was. All these stores pander to immigrants in the same way, and I probably couldn’t find a card with just “Happy Birthday” on it.

Hey, I’ve traveled enough to know that Americans are a bit limited when it comes to other languages. In many European countries, many folks you run into speak English, and I think about how few Americans speak a second language. However, if I’m going to see another language everywhere, I’d prefer a language that amazing engineering acoumplishments are described in rather than the language most tacos are ordered in. Yeah, I’m so mean.

But in the end, I’m not too worried, there will always be people like you fighting for those who will not (or more likely don’t have the ability) to assimilate. Keep reaching for the stars!

5. Dignidad said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:48 am:

Taking down a sign is pretty much like the pro-illegals putting up the 9500 Liberty sign. That did damage to their side although it probably built up their morale.
    Unlawfully removing a sign might build up morale for some, but it does a lot of harm to the rule of law point of view. We
    (I never thought I would agree with El Guapo!)

6. park'd said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:50 am:

I stopped shopping at shoppers many years ago because they cater to the Hispanic crowd at my expense. It was like a Tijuana flea market in there with a gazillion Hispanics, half of whom were on food stamps, kids running amuck and all speaking foreign languages. I don’t want nor do I need to be around that. Bloom is a much nicer experience. I’ll pay the extra to shop somewhere that resembles America. I suggest you all do that as well.

7. Genie said on 4 Dec 2007 at 7:15 am:

AMEN to park’d!!!!!!!

8. Ducky said on 4 Dec 2007 at 7:21 am:

Park’d’s post above and this subject is an example of why the Republican party continues losing elections in Virginia and elsewhere.

A campaign against Spanish language signs is clealy aimed at ALL Hispanics - legal or illegal, recently arrived individuals, or those who arrived with Cortez.

You can be in favor of border enforcement, but when you’re whining about Spanish language signs, you’re alienating millions of people.

Keep it up. The Republican party is the party of whiners and they will continue to be losers.

9. Old Soldier said on 4 Dec 2007 at 7:40 am:

What Ducky said on 4 Dec 2007 at 7:21 am

Ducky, I’m with you. Business is business. We have a large Hispanic population and local businesses have the right to try and sell them stuff. It’s the free market… and Republicans are supposed to be for the free market.

10. Craig said on 4 Dec 2007 at 7:49 am:

Interesting, seems to me that the store could consider this kind of act vandalism and press charges. By all means, let’s encourage this kind of inappropriate behavior and further demonstrate that it isn’t just illegals that you have a problem with but all Spanish speaking residents.

11. jfk said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:13 am:

I have been to this store before, and the sign in question was likely a 11×8.5″ piece of paper taped to the glass entry door. It’s not as if Doug took down the large Shopper’s sign in the window! So cut the BS about destruction of property.

Second, why do you assume that all US citizens of Hispanic heritage want to see signs posted in Spanish? Do you think they can’t speak English? You might want to examine your own consciences for racism as well.

We’ve had Americans of Hispanic heritage in this country since it was founded, why is it that we only recently started to need signs in Spanish? Stores do have a right to sell goods to whomever they want to, but consumers also have a right to take their business elsewhere, and let the manager of the business know exactly why they are leaving. I can assure you, these folks know who they are marketing to so I doubt it will come as much of a suprise when they are approached.

This entire invasion started in the first place because people didn’t want to say anything out of a sense of political correctness.

12. jfk said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:14 am:

Correction: Doug did not pull down the sign.

13. One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:15 am:

I wrote to Lowe’s and asked them why they had all these signs in Spanish. They sent me a long response to my inquiry about cultural sensativity and such. They want to accomodate in all ways the non-english speaking population.

I responded back and asked them how many non-english speaking people they employed at the Senior Management level of Lowe’s. No response.

Rights or no right ITS NOT GOOD FOR THE CHILDREN.

14. freedom said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:21 am:

Craig, am I supposed to shudder because of your concern that I just might “have a problem with all Spanish speaking residents”? First of all, it’s not true, but if it were, my feelings are not an infringement upon you and it’s not a violation of law, merely personal choice…call it bias or prejudice, if you wish.

I am really growing so weary of the incessant charge of racism by those poor people who consider themselves unloved and mistreated that it’s almost expected.

If you truly believe that Americans are racists, and that they “have a problem with all Spanish speaking residents,” wouldn’t it be to your advantage to take some kind of action with the objective of changing that perception?

Name calling does not engender an improved perception of anyone, regardless of the language they speak.

15. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:23 am:

Ducky said on 4 Dec 2007 at 7:21 am:

What in the hell does your comment have to do with signs?

QUACK QUACK QUACK

16. starryflights said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:23 am:

I won’t shop at Lowe’s anymore. I have also emailed their Corporate offices and told them why…the Spanish signs. I did receive an email back, but in my opinion, they didn’t seem to care.

17. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:25 am:

Old Soldiers never die, they just fade away.

18. ManexicoResident said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:37 am:

I, too, have abondoned grocery shopping at Shoppers Warehouse. Truth be told, its the most convenient store to me…I could walk there from my apartment…but I wont be going back. Spanish signs? Fine with me, whatever, I understand. Overwhelming number of Spanish speaking patrons? Again, this is where I live…I’m getting used to it.

Why not go back?

I went to the new(er) Safeway a little further up the street from me. I was greeted warmly, asked if I needed assistance and even held casual conversations, IN ENGLISH!, with the employees of Safeway. Were there Spanish speakers about? Of course, hell…we’d have to move to the upper regions of Canadia to not hear that! Bottomline it was just a better grocery shopping experience…I think it had a lot to do with compitent and friendly English speakers.

19. CitizenofManassas said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:42 am:

How many languages are spoken in Manassas? I’m going to assume more than just English and spanish. Why do we assume only those that speak spanish need help in shopping, banking etc? If those businesses were not just pandering to one particular ethnic group, they would have signs in every language that is possible spoken by people living in Manassas.

Though I suppose those businesses think hispanics are the only foreign language speakers who are too lazy or unable to learn English.

20. Ducky said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:45 am:

Stop being such whiners, people.

21. josh said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:46 am:

I go to harris teeter these days locally, however once a month I make a trip to fairfax to wegmans..definitely these two stores are a cut above.

I cannot stand shoppers, as someone already mentioned..it’s like shopping in tijuana

22. Brian L. said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:47 am:

Nothing delighted me more than seeing a handful of poorly-behaved children of indeterminate ethnicity (they spoke Spanish) opening up the store-made donut and cookie cabinets at the Giant in Kingstown, picking up one cookie/donut from each shelf near their height, proceed to lick each one, taking a bite out of the ones they liked, and then replace said donut/cookie back on the shelf in the cabinet.

Their mother, who was nowhere to be seen, ran up to them after about 5 minutes and dragged them off, yelling something indeterminate to them in Spanish.

If this is what y’all think constitutes “diversity,” I’d really appreciate you keeping it to yourselves…

Regards,
    Brian

23. One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:51 am:

COM - bingo. Once I asked Lowe’s about the number of non-english speaking staff in their Sr Mgmt it ’spoke’ volumes about their Spanish only other language signs. Now that should be called racist. Lowe’s assumes the other non-english speaking folks will learn or manage. I believe that Korean is the second largest non-english language in PWC/Manassas. See any signs in Korean anywhere anyone????

MWB would be doing their community a favor by asking Lowe’s and the others to take the signs down so that their ‘non-english speakers’ have to adapt. It’s in their best interest.

Assuming we are not equating all non english speakers as illegal. - disclaimer..
    Hope we’re not ‘defaming’ Lowe’s and Shoppers…. :)

24. Craig said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:59 am:

Freedom, I could care whether or not you shudder. My comment was not targeted at you specifically was it?

And where did I say that “Americans” were racist? It would be true to say that some, if not many, are indeed racist. In case you didn’t know this, I am am a *gasp* American, born and raised. I also happen to be a proud American.

JFK, I doubt it matters what kind of sign it was that was pulled down. It was not that person’s legal right to do so as it was the property of the store. That kind of behavior is not to be celebrated or looked up to. It is immature.

Also, I don’t recall every saying anything regarding how all people of Latino/Hispanic heritage want signs in Spanish. I have French and German blood in me but cannot read either language very well so why would I want signs in French or German?

25. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:17 am:

hmmm….I am not sure I can get behind this one. While I have an issue of signs in Spanish only without English translation above or below them, I can not agree with taking the sign down.

I know many are like, WHAT Medic has lost his head, but I can assure you I am not becoming apologetic to ILLEGALS. I have no quarrel with the store that sees a need to provide Spanish signs. I DO have a quarrel with the store that places Spanish only without English translation. I feel that is the best way to help the group that speaks Spanish to assimilate. They see the sign in their language then see the English translation above or below it. What better way to help them.

I see the person’s actions as prejudice and racist. There was no need to tear the sign down. As a general rule I see things in favor of law enforcement. This person did the wrong thing by tearing down a sign.

I am not for printing everything in dual language either. Those that come here need to learn English period!!

26. Rick Bentley said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:30 am:

The licking the donuts story is a great metaphor for the whole illegal immigration pheonomenon. Of course the kids would behave that way. Their parents are treating America that way.

27. Lafayette said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:32 am:

Medic64,
    I agree signs in both languages seem like a great learning tool to me. However, are the Spanish speaking bothering to look at in English?
    We must all remember it is about the RULE OF LAW.
    I kept on telling the Giant at WestGate about the shopping carts on Lomond Dr., and my hate of seeing them in my my neighborhood.Everytime, I would go in there I would tell them they need to put the locks on the carts like Shoppers has. Well, there’s no locks on the carts. However, they have put up 2 signs one English and one Spanish clearing stating it is against the law to remove carts from the parking lot. I must say I’ve not seen a single shopping cart from Giant on Lomond since the signs went up. We must let the businesses know what we expect from them, and hopefully they will listen. I feel Giant did the right thing 2signs are cheaper than locks, and the cost would be past on to us.
    Take a look at the signs.

28. Riley said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:34 am:

A few quick thoughts.

First, I believe that the U.S. should make English this nation’s official language. We are one of the only countries in the world not to have an official language.

Second, I believe in the free market and that the main reason for a business to be in business is to turn a profit. If a company thinks that putting up signs in other languages will help them make more money, then that is their right. That doesn’t mean I like it when they do that, but I also have the right to complain and take my business elsewhere if I so choose.

Third, whenever I am given the option on one of those little machines to select a language, I typically hit “English” just to register to the company that fact, but if given the option for “Francais” I have begun hitting that too just to play with their minds.

29. Advocator said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:34 am:

Just as the Liberty Street sign reminds me that I’m in a country that allows Free Speech, the signs in Spanish, Arabic, Urdu, etc., in stores remind me that I’m in a country that survives on free enterprise and capitalism. No one detests ILLEGAL immigration more than I, but no one cherishes more the right of an entrepreneur to attract more business than his competition.

Your frustrations should be directed at the politicians who have encouraged and suffered the Illegal Invasion, not at store owners.

Where’s Wolf on the SAVE Act?

30. Rob Smalls - Patriot Temp said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:36 am:

I second your sentiment, Doc. The sign was up on someone else’s property. If you don’t like it, voice concerns to management, or just don’t go there. I don’t, and that’s the extent of my influence in that particular affair.

31. Patty said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:40 am:

Brian,

I’ve seen Hispanics (they were speaking Spanish) eating the peanuts out of the bin and throwing back the shells in the bin. I’ve saw another Hispanic couple (they were speaking Spanish) proceed to eat from the produce. Maybe we should call the health department. I know some of the employees at Shoppers are as frustrated as the customers. More customers need to speak to the managers when they see this stuff. I know I do and they do pay attention.

All,

Also, my husband works retail. You should not remove signs. The store is private property. Typically the manager would not call the police if a customer removes a sign but if the customer displays threatening behavior then the police may be called. If you have a problem with signs in a store, it is best to ask for the manager on duty and tell him/her why you don’t like the sign. Many decisions for signs are made at the corporate level. Also, the district managers have input. Please don’t scream at the store manager. They are only doing what they are told. Be polite. Send a letter to the corporate office. The decisions made about these signs reflect what they see in the region. Since we have a large number of Spanish speaking residents, those at the corporate level will try to accomodate them. It’s business strategy. They are not trying to impose a foreign language on U.S. citizens.

32. Lafayette said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:40 am:

Advocator,
    We have to let both the politicians and merchants know our frustrations. We can’t keeping holding out for the Feds. We need to address the issue at businesses and government.
    Where’s Wolf good question. Now, when will get answer.

33. mnd said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:40 am:

English is the language of commerce and the dominant culture in this country. Encouraging people, immigrant or otherwise to divide themselves by a language is to encourage a perpetual sub-class.

If you want to be empowered in this country speaking “media English” is a requirement.

Divisive “multiculturalism” is harmful.

Swim upstream at your own peril.

34. Lafayette said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:41 am:

corr
    Now, when will WE get AN answer. hmmm

35. Leeroy Jenkins said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:47 am:

Doug,

Shoppers, Lowe’s, any establishment can certainly do anything it wants to do, and like you say, I can certainly take my business elsewhere. I was merely saying I miss the days when I could buy my father a “happy birthday” gift card without spanish on it. I would like to point out that the notion of “well, go somewhere else if you want your giftcard without spanish on it” is quickly becoming tricky. Soon you won’t be able to find such a sentiment anywhere. Does this affect my life to the point where I’d vandalize anything? Of course not. Is change inevitable? Of course it is. I’m just whining about wanting to buy a card that says Happy Birthday. But then again, I’d like to pay 1.00 / gallon for gas, and a Christmas parade without Old Scratch. I am just happy that Lowe’s, Shoppers, and other corporate entities have you to protect them.

36. El Guapo said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:56 am:

jfk asks: “We’ve had Americans of Hispanic heritage in this country since it was founded, why is it that we only recently started to need signs in Spanish?”

We don’t need signs in Spanish, but this country has had signs in Spanish for centuries. It also has signs in other languages: drive around Annandale and see if you don’t see a sign or two (or dozen) in Korean. Some of the the signs in the Sea-Tac airport include several Asian languages. In different areas of San Francisco you can see signs in Chinese, Tagalog and even English. It seems to me that the people who put up these signs do so in order to communicate their message to a targetted group.

While this country has always had signs in foreign languages, it is only recently that we started WHINING ABOUT IT!

37. starryflights said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:06 am:

I really need to start carrying my digital camera with me, everywhere I go. People need to take photos of anyone licking food and putting it back, eating from the fruit and vegetable bins, etc. I don’t think I will ever buy another food product from a self serve bin, such as donuts and bread rolls. This is disgusting and since we all know that illegal aliens are not screened for diseases the health concerns alarm me. If I ever see this, I will take the time to notify the manager of the store, after I take my photos.

38. freedom said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:07 am:

Craig…no, you weren’t targeting me specifically, but you DID target those whom you consider to oppose Spanish speakers…and if they do, that’s their right to do so.

If, as you claim, you’re a “…*gasp* American, born and raised…(and)…happen to be a proud American,” — don’t understand your “gasp” at being an American and also “proud,” but giving you that, you should understand about name-calling, doing what it takes to raise an individual’s image in the minds of others, how to counter biases and how to improve their economic “station in life.”

You could be helping those Spanish speaking people, not causing them to alienate themselves from the American society. Believe it or not, Craig, you’re not helping them, you’re hurting them….:(

39. One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:07 am:

It’s not good for the children.

40. MdMan said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:09 am:

It looks like Maryland is now hosting the VA illegals - see quote below from a MD resident re: vagabonds at Home Depot:

“I was listening to my scanner on the way to work on Friday and heard a call that the manager of the Home Depot in Aspen Hill (Georgia Ave & Conn. Ave) requested that the police remove the day laborers that were congregating there. There were no other details.

This morning, on the way to work, I heard a similar call, except this time they dispatcher was more specific: “Manager of the Home Depot, Steve, reports that there are 100 day laborers tresspassing at the Home Depot and he wants them removed.”

That’s probably at least 3 times as many as are at the CASA trailer.”

Yes America, we have a serious problem, and I support any action by citizens including taking down Spanish signs. If I was at the Christmas parade and one of those Tecunai, or whatever, freaks touched my child, they would have been unmasked and put down. Godspeed VA, you have taken the gloves off and don’t let up.

BTW - ICE is having a public meeting at the Rockville library Dec 17 6:30-8:30 PM.

41. Anon in Manassas said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:23 am:

Let me ask this question… let’s for a moment assume (yes, I know! Never assume!), but let’s just assume for a moment that every immigrant in Manasas WAS legal. And let’s assume that these signs and over the PA announcements in the stores were still in Spanish. Would we still be offended? It is apparent that there are a great number of Spanish speaking people in Manassas. Many stores and restaurants are becoming operated by the Spanish community. Is the issue that is bothering us the language or their presence? Is it the illegality of their presence? Or the imposition of their language? Or is it the culmination of it all?
    If you go to a store such as Target, and you see a sign that you are not in agreement with, from what I understand you can voice your complaint. After about 7 complaints the sign must be removed and not returned. Again, this is what I have been told, not what I have learned from experience.
    I see on these posts a lot of frustration and resentment. It is time to focus on what is really the issue for us individually and find out what can be appropriately done to remedy the situation to meet the needs of everyone.

42. park'd said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:25 am:

We are whining about it because our cities (in America mind you) are being overrun by these Spanish signs. I don’t like it. I don’t care if you don’t like that I don’t like it. Companies can cater to another culture all they want. I simply just won’t shop there until I have no other option. Shoppers is an abhorrent company. I should know since I worked there all through high school and into college. They treat their employees horrifically and now I see that they are treating their citizenry the same way. If they want to cater to a bunch of criminals that the local government chooses to coddle, against the wishes of its citizens, then they will do it without my patronage. The last time I was in there was about three years ago when the place was packed with Hispanics and it was literally like Scottie beamed me in to Mexico. It was like being in a different country. I was appalled. I’m sure it’s 10x worse now. Call me racist. Call me xenophobic. When I go out and about I want to be around Americans, American culture, and the English language. Take your forced multiculturalism nonsense and pack it in your bags with you on your flight back to the European Union.

43. John Light said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:32 am:

Here’s an idea, whenever you go to an establishment that is catering to the Spanish speakers, walk up and speak another language (anything but English and Spanish). If enough people for, say a week or so, walked up speaking German, etc. they MIGHT take the hint. Heck, wanna REALLY blow them away??? If you are white, walk up speaking Japanese (by for God’s sake, ONLY do it if you actually know the language, do not show disrespect to the language or yourself).

What they are doing is FAVORING a particular nationality. It’s a nationality they are betting is going to spend money in their store. It’s based on customers they are trying to attrack. And in the words of Ron White, “That’s profiling…and that’s wroooonngg!!!!!!” lol

44. John Light said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:33 am:

How about the Spanish only signs that are on the sides of Metro Buses!!!!

45. Lafayette said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:38 am:

park’d,
    Shoppers is the worst by far. Just look at the first Shopper’s we had in Manassas Park, it’s no longer a Shoppers. Oh yeah, they can say it’s due to the “new store” opening on Liberia. I think we know what the truth really is.
    Do you now shop at El Primero? :)
    My sister managed the Deli at Bull Run Shoppers, and she had to keep someone stationed at Salad Bar and Hot Food Bar to keep from being robbed blind back there. They also have that nice little dining area in that store. So, the shoplifters can be comfortable while eating up the goods. She’s now at the Centreville store, and said there’s a lot more Spanish speaking customers there since the late summer. I wonder if this has anything to do with the “self deportation” from PWC?

46. MdMan said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:46 am:

Get some park’d - exactly.

It is time to put an end to the subversion of American culture. Sometimes harsh tactics are the only things people understand. It is not in my or most American’s nature to resort to tactics like this, but as Kenny Rodgers sang - “sometimes you have to fight when you’re a man”.

47. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:49 am:

El Guapo said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:28 am:
    Doug,

Are you sure you aren’t just annoyed that Dora and Diego are losing ground market wise to Hanna Montana? Hmmmmmm

48. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:56 am:

El Guapo said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:56 am:

Yes, it is only recently that people are complaining about it. Buy a product, any product, and the instruction manual is in multiple languages. I recently purchased a major tool and the manual is a quarter inch thick. Half of the manual is in Spanish. I don’t need instructions in Spanish. My language is English. In addition, how much do you think YOU are paying to have a manual for a product that is made in the U.S.A. translated into another language that is sold in the U.S.? Believe me, it’s not free!

49. 999 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:03 am:

CitizenofManassas said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:42 am:

AMEN! And pandering they are!

50. Vigilant1 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:10 am:

Brian L. said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:47 am:
    ………….. picking up one cookie/donut from each shelf near their height, proceed to lick each one, taking a bite out of the ones they liked, and then replace said donut/cookie back on the shelf in the cabinet.

I would have immediately reported the incident to the store manager. That is a definite health hazard in addition to being against the law to take an item, eat it and not pay for it. There was a situation a few years back where a customer in Giant helped himself to a few pieces of candy when they had the bulk food section. He was caught by a store employee and ultimately was arrested.

51. El Guapo said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:12 am:

999 has really uncovered something here. I’ve noticed in areas where there is a large Chinese population, stores have signs in Chinese. And in areas with a large Spanish speaking population, stores have signs in Spanish. There seems to be a pattern. Hmmmmm

And we’ve found our first Hannah Montana fan. I’m glad because that highlights our culture. Our culture is a melting pot (maybe some ingredients take longer to melt) of various different cultures. And like Hannah’s hit single “The Best of Both Worlds”, our culture has taken the best of all those cultures. That’s what makes it so wonderful.

Maybe we won’t have the devil in our Christmas parades, but a lot of us certainly enjoy green tamales and fajitas.

52. veteran said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:13 am:

Park’d: You are an honest fellow and wanting to be emersed in your own culture, language and people is perfectly normal and understandable. All of us, left or right, Spanish or Anglo, generally feel the same way. If the rest of the anti-illegals admit the same, then we have a starting place to resolve these issues. The nonsense about the “rule of law” was a smoke screen.

This is culture clash, plain and simple. We need to look to the past to see how we, as a country, resolved (survived) all previous culture clashes. I would suggest education and joint cultural events as one step forward.

53. Vigilant1 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:19 am:

One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:15 am:

Lowe’s is very near to being added to my list of businesses I have stopped patronizing. No so much for the signs but for the lack of service. Every time I go in there (the store on Sudley Road which in my estimation has turned into a dingy and poorly laid out store) there is only one check-out open with about 6 or 7 people standing in line. This same situation happened one day at K-mart (10 people standing in line and one check-out.) I put my item down on the floor and walked out of the store and have never been bqck (12 years now and no intention to ever go back.)

54. Phil said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:22 am:

I was in Lowe’s looking for a grill. Some salesboy tried to get me to buy a “Perfect Flame” grill. He said it was made by the same company as Webber but it was Webber’s elite high end series.

I checked it out on the internet. The Perfect Flame brand is Lowe’s store brand. They’re made in China, and some have reported difficulty getting replacement parts.

55. Vigilant1 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:29 am:

\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:17 am:

There was no need to tear the sign down.

It may be just the way you wrote the post but if you look at the original post, it did not say the sign was “torn down.” It was removed and brought to the customer service manager. It was not stated what was said by the manager but he had every right to replace the sign if he so wanted. Buy the way, other signs (gang graffiti) have appeard in the men’s room of the Westgage Giant. It takes awhile for them to remove it but eventually they do.

56. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:30 am:

veteran, you are right, it is a culture clash. However, Americans shouldn’t be expected to give all, it should be equal or more on the side that is coming into this culture, IMHO. I agree, when the LEGAL immigrants stop shoving their culture down our throats, the easier it will be to swallow. Small bites are easier to chew than larger ones.

This is a great land of opportunity, but it is this way because everyone obeys the law. Those here ILLEGALLY, have no right to try to force feed us their culture and ways. Those here LEGALLY, have no right to force feed us either, but have the right to introduce us to it. I can have an open mind about learning a new culture if it is introduced in a way that is not forcing me to change my current way of doing things, but enhances the current way I do things. This is where LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants are making a mistake. Too much at one time makes it seem we are being invaded and cornered. Americans are like a big dog on a leash, if you corner us we will bite, if you come up with an open hand, most likely you will be able to pet us and we will get along with you. Once one group claims those who wish to have the laws enforced are racists, you loose all respect of those you wish to assimilate to. Assimilation is the only way this will work. The pot is at a rolling boil right now, but nothing is melting because the ingredients being added to the pot have an EXTREMELY HIGH boiling point. Just some food for thought to our friends trying to get this worked out.

57. justice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:34 am:

Park’d…….a BIG AMEN!!!!

58. Vigilant1 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:35 am:

Advocator said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:34 am:
    Where’s Wolf on the SAVE Act?

Still ignoring his constituants.

59. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:37 am:

Vigilant1, tear down take down, either way the sign was removed (c;

60. Patty said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:43 am:

Stores are private property. You shouldn’t remove a sign. If you use threatening behavior when removing the sign, the police could be called. I’ve already listed proper steps in dealing with signs. You don’t want to end up being arrested. Talk to the manager on duty. Write a letter to the corporate office. Speak to the district manager. Don’t shop in that store anymore but tell them why. They do listen.

61. Vigilant1 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:49 am:

Anon in Manassas said on 4 Dec 2007 at 10:23 am:
    Many stores and restaurants are becoming operated by the Spanish community.

There are very few (if any) business in the Manassas area that are operated by the Spanish community. Please do not equate Latino/Hispanic ethnic groups with Spanish. They are not Spanish (from Spain.) The only thing in common is the language and they (the Latinos/Hispanics) have bastardized that too.

62. me-n-u said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:52 am:

El Guapo- There is no melting pot when people of one ethnic group are the ones filling it. There must be more than ONE ingredient to make the stew!

veteran - Of course there is a culture clash here and I would be willing to bet most people speaking against illegal’s being here will admit that. While they are spreading their culture around the area, they are breaking many laws doing so. So the “rule of law” does apply!

The way we survived the past culture clashes is by people assimilating to the American culture. Having LEGAL immigration and not being run over by MILLIONS of ILLEGAL’S!!!

63. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:58 am:

veteran said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:13 am:

I would suggest education and joint cultural events as one step forward.

Maybe like having a local CHRISTMAS parade with the devil in attendance?

64. PWConservative said on 4 Dec 2007 at 12:12 pm:

when i went to france (the low-point of my european vacation) i would have loved for there to be some signs in english, but there were none, as a result it took me about 5 hours to get from the Eiffel Tower back to my hotel, the people there were extremely rude and wouldn’t give you the time of day. An a South American’s eyes, Are we like the french? seriously not all Hispanic’s you see are illegal immigrants or even immigrants at all, after all a lot of tourists stay in NOVA when they visit the Capitol, in my previous visits to Honduras,Guatemala, and Chile they were the exact opposite of the french, very helpful and hospitable, what i wonder is, Shouldn’t Foreigners here be given the benefit of the doubt in regards to their legal status?

and el guapo. yes all the hannah montana stuff irritates the daylights out of me. next time I’m in Target I plan to take it all to customer service and ask them not to display it anymore

65. PWConservative said on 4 Dec 2007 at 12:16 pm:

and to 999 yes I think there should be non-english signs in something other than spanish, there’s a fairly large amount of Brazilians in PWC (Practically all of them are Legal) and there are no signs for them in Portuguese.

66. PWConservative said on 4 Dec 2007 at 12:17 pm:

but than most of them learn english before immigration

67. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 12:31 pm:

I am delighted to see that Lowes and Home Depot are at least sensitive to one cultural group. Anything is an improvement over the way they treat women. I do not believe for a minute that this behavior is mandated from either corporate headquarters. I believe it is the local culture of Manassas Lowes and Home Depot.

I had a major remodeling crisis going on over the summer. I had to make many trips to both stores. I have never been treated so invisibly or rudely, if my presence was even noticed, by a retail establishment as I have been treated in Lowes and Home Depot. I will have to say, Home Depot is even ruder. If you cannot find another female to wait on you in either store, you are pretty much out of luck.

~~angry splash~~

68. ManexicoResident said on 4 Dec 2007 at 12:32 pm:

Veteran,

Respectfully…you’re wrong.

This is very much a culture clash, but that does NOT tie into “rule of law”. Illegal aliens (which, by the way, are not the topic in discussion here) are still illegal…have still broken the law…are still not in compliance.

Simply and plainly: Illegal = Against the law.

I fully understand the need, both in the form of public safety and in a business sense to have Spanish signs in a prodominately Spanish speaking area. Do I have the right to be put off? Yes. Do I have the right to think that pandering to the Spanish only speakers is wrong? Yes. Do I have the option of not patronizing businesses that do? Of course, and I excersize it at will.

69. park'd said on 4 Dec 2007 at 12:35 pm:

Veteran: I think if you peruse these threads more often then you will find plenty of instances where people admit that this is a cultural issue and not a racist issue. The ultimate point is still that we shouldn’t even have to deal with these cultural issues because many of these people shouldn’t even be here. Labeling this a cultural issue while dismissing the illegality of their continued presence is disingenuous to America and the rule of law. If they would have taken the time and cared enough about America to come here legally then they would have had to learn about America and its culture and would have willingly wanted to adapt. Since they took it upon themselves to come here illegally then they never bothered to learn about America or its culture and hence we are in this cultural battle that we are in. They act like spoiled kids who can’t understand why they can’t get a cookie after they just disobeyed their mommy, and frankly I think I speak for all of us when I say we are sick and damn tired of it!

70. John Light said on 4 Dec 2007 at 1:11 pm:

Old Soldier wrote: “Republicans need every vote they can get. This is “low hanging fruit” for the party.”

And some fruit deserves to be pulled off and thrown away. No, Republicans DO NOT need every vote they can get, they only need 1 vote more than the Democrats.

This is catering to a VERY large segment who WILL NOT vote because THEY CANNOT vote, at least not until they become American Citizens.

71. John Light said on 4 Dec 2007 at 1:19 pm:

veteran said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:13 am:
    “…We need to look to the past to see how we, as a country, resolved (survived) all previous culture clashes. I would suggest education and joint cultural events as one step forward.”

I agree and it can be summed up in ONE word, “assimilation”. For those who do not know what this word means, check out #4:

72. madmom said on 4 Dec 2007 at 1:37 pm:

I was in Lowes about 6 months ago, and there was a huge sign over the front help desk in at least 5 languages. I have no idea what it said, because
    there was no English version of what it said. I asked the clerk what it said and she had no idea….

The sneeze guards on buffet lines need to be lowered to child’s height…
    I’ve seen nasty hands reach into the bins, a child sneeze right on a whole
    dessert area (no hand covering mouth) and kids come out of the bathrooms without washing hands (mom following….). Yes, I reported all of these
    gross incidents to managers/moms.

I’m starting to feel like the Gestapo when I’m out in public. My husband just starts in another direction when he sees me catch someone in a random act of stupidness. hahaha

And yes, I yell at cars that go down my street too fast. Funny, they DO
    slow down when they see a crazy lady waving a fist at them.

So, no, I don’t keep my mouth shut anymore. It’s kinda liberating. :)

73. CitizenofManassas said on 4 Dec 2007 at 1:41 pm:

Stop shopping at Lowes and Home Depot. Shop at J.R. Rice. There you do not have to worry about signs in foreign languages, or not being able to find assistance.

I called a National Fish company( the one with the fisherman) the other day to ask why they had a foreign language on their packaging. I asked how someone could shop, but not be able to understand how to fix frozen fish without having a translation.

The customer rep said they had received a number of calls requesting the company add the foreign language instructions. I said why then just stop at one language? I asked if the company thought only those of that particular ethnic group was unwilling or unable to learn English, and if they had lower expectations of them then other immigrants.

He really did not have an answer to that.

I asked if enough people called in would the company change back to only having English on the packaging. He said the company was very responsive to their customers.

He said they had received about 15,000 calls requesting the foreign language be added to the packaging.

Does anyone really think if five times that many people called to complain they would change their policy?

74. Advocator said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:12 pm:

Here’s a story from Fox News that’ll really frost your glutes. For those of you uninitiated with Hispanic vulgarity, the Spanish word for “pork chop” resembles a vulgar reference to a female. The story (and picture) is at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314901,00.html

Bill Adams/The Easton Express-Times

Ferrous
    ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Two days after naming its mascot “PorkChop,” the Philadelphia Phillies’ new Triple-A affiliate abruptly dropped the moniker after receiving complaints from Hispanics that it was offensive.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, whose mascot is a large, furry pig, had selected PorkChop from more than 7,300 fan submissions. The team, which begins play in 2008, announced Monday that the mascot will be named “Ferrous” instead.

General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.

“We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word ‘pork chop,”‘ he said. “If it offended a few, it’s a few too many.”

Guillermo Lopez, vice president of the Latino Leadership Alliance, said he was called “pork chop” when he worked at Bethlehem Steel decades ago.

“If my parents were alive, they’d be having fits,” said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. “It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley.”

PorkChop had been submitted by 32 fans. The replacement name, Ferrous — from the Latin word “ferrum,” or iron — received the most fan nominations, with 235.

The team moved to Allentown from Ottawa — where it was known as the Lynx — following the 2007 season. Construction is wrapping up on a new stadium in east Allentown.

75. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:16 pm:

CoM,

JE Rice is definitely an option for leisure hardware shopping. I was in crisis so I needed to turn things on a dime. Plus I live near both of the major stores. I just won’t go back in Home Depot.
    ————————————————————————-

I am going to keep hammering at Lowes. I do own stock in the company so I am attacking it that way. That store needs to make a clean sweep of many of those old codgers in there and start over. Please don’t get me wrong. There are several very decent, attentive men who work in Lowes. They just need more of them. Those kinds of stores seem to attract people who really give every impression of not liking their jobs, unless they can chew the fat with the good ole boys who come in to look at plumbing pipe or 2 x 4’s.

I could care less what language their signs are in, as long as English is one of them. Being treated as though I am invisible or stupid bothers me. Seeing signs in a foreign language does not.

76. Advocator said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:19 pm:

Dolph:

Dump Lowes now. Foreclosures in 2008 will be 1 million+, leaving Americans with little cash for home projects. I recommend a precious metals mutual fund.

77. Patty said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:56 pm:

Dolph,

Sorry, but I know about retail stores and management way more than you do. Signs are determined by coporate and district managers. They are not being culturally sensitive. It is purely a business decision based on marketing strategy and demographics. This is especially true for big box retail. Businesses exist to make money. If they go off on a cultural tangent, they’ll lose money. Management does listen to the customer. I’ve already listed appropriate steps to take and I don’t need to repeat them.

All,

I would suggest that when you decide not to shop at a particular store please inform the manager on duty why you are no longer shopping there. Don’t just inform a sales associate. Specifically ask for the manager on duty.

78. anonymoustoo said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:22 pm:

J.E.Rice’s is a good shop with helpful employees but I don’t think they carry lumber (maybe some trim). We use our local Ace in Woodbine Shopping Center for the same reason. I remember the old Hechingers where all the teenage boys would see a customer and run away. Home Depot was a welcome contrast initially. We use the one on Liberia for lumber and hardware when Rice’s isn’t open. The guys at the Liberia store are usually helpful.

I think most tool manufacturers have instructions for the use of their products in the languages most likely to be used by their purchaser. IKEA’s furniture assembly instructions are likely to be in English, German, Japanese, Spanish, and French. Most products are marketed globally. I like seeing another language. It gives me a chance to learn something new or refresh my high school/college vocabulary.

79. justice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:40 pm:

Forget Home Depot and Lowes. Shop at J.E. Rice Tru-Value hardware store on Mathis Ave. for your hardware and appliance needs. It is AMERICAN owned and operated and the employees are very courteous and helpful. The Rice family has operated the store since the ’60’s. Also, NO signs in spanish. Its always a pleasure and a breath of fresh air to shop there. I am disgusted with stores that pander to the hispanics. Patronize and shop AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!

80. Vigilant1 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:51 pm:

Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:16 pm:
    I am going to keep hammering at Lowes.

Someone needs to take a hammer to them. They let go one of the best employees they ever had recently. The reason……he was a part time employee and therefore did not open the store up on Saturday or Sunday. This ticked off some full timers and they complained to the manager. The employee was let go. DUH!

81. 999 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:54 pm:

Advocator said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:12 pm:
    Here’s a story from Fox News

The word egg also ticks the Latinos off. They equate eggs with cajones!

82. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:58 pm:

Greg,

you are fomenting bad things .
    now you are acting aggressive, no doubt that you have links with the KKK.
    you are starting the fight.
    the other day you were angry about the devil.
    you were acting like a loyal cristian
    you really are a selfish.
    people like you do not represent the UNITED STATES.
    at least , shut up this month.
    do not do bad things like the mexican dancers did the other day

want to be prudent?

want to respect jesus?

you are acting like the flag man in the mexican
    restaurant

do not erase this commentary, if you believe in the right of speech.

thanks!!

83. 999 said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:59 pm:

Advocator said on 4 Dec 2007 at 2:12 pm:

All the gringos should boycott the team until the management restores the name. If they don’t, hope they enjoy serving tacos instead of hot dogs at the games.

84. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 4:10 pm:

999,

I just want to make a correction.

It’s not CAJONES! IT’S COJONES!!

THA’S A CUBAN WORD & FOR PEOPLE FROM SPAIN.

85. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 4:27 pm:

if I were the owner of the store ., ..I was going to accuse you of vandalism.

86. freedom said on 4 Dec 2007 at 4:36 pm:

Was interested in seeing your post, Dolph….I sold my Lowes stock yesterday.

87. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Dec 2007 at 4:39 pm:

Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 3:58 pm

I would have deleted it because you were too much of a coward to use your real name or at the very least a handle. I bet you didn’t even put in a valid email address. Coward!! I do not take to heart or give much credit to those who post under Anonymous. Be real and use a handle and at least put a functioning email address in the box if you do not already. BTW, I have a functioning one in mine. Greg can feel free to email it to be sure (c: Not only that, but it includes my real name. Rob Smalls has used it off line to contact me.

88. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 4:45 pm:

Advocator,

Any specific preciousl metals mutual fund? I am always willing to talk stocks, mutual funds and etfs. Lowes was a gift. I have been thinking about dumping it for some time now. Right now I am waiting it out…I might change my mind by tomorrow. I figure with all the winter storms, some home repair might not be an option. Watching it closely though, even though I have it long term rather than a quick turn around.

~~$$~~

89. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 4:52 pm:

Freedom,

I have been thinking about it for a couple of months now. I have to wait 2 more weeks before it will be a long sell so I might as well hang in there and not make tax issues worse. Have you replaced it with something better?

The best thing I did all year was buy apple. I wish I had bought a LOT more of it than I did would be my only regret.

90. freedom said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:02 pm:

Dolph,

I have owned Lowes stock for four years and despite the split, a year or so ago, the last few months have been miserable. I decided to take advantage of the loss before the end of the year and yes, I bought more Cummins and FedEx…hoping they will be better. :)

91. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:15 pm:

Freedom,

I am thinking about dumping Fedex also. It also has been a roller coaster ride. Up down Up down. McD’s and HP have been very good rides this year. I wish I had bought Mastercard back before it shot sky high. Having said that, I really like international funds. Sigh, I wish we had our very own stock thread.

92. starryflights said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:26 pm:

These store signs in Spanish have me remembering the week I was driving back and forth on Dale Blvd. There was a road sign on wheels and every time I went by, the words were scrolling in Spanish. I don’t know if they ever showed up in English, since all I ever saw was Spanish. This really made me mad. I had NO idea what the message was and if it was information I needed to know. It’s really getting crazy here in PWC.

93. UnMasMexican said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:50 pm:

I will encourage my friends to shop a las tiendas that respond to the needs of ALL Americans, including Hispanics as people have racially charged this issue.

gracias tot hose of you who see the value of a free market and the right of stores to post signage as desired. Of course they are catering to recent immigrants, many just beginning to learn English. We ARE PWC…..accept this or move on…

Viva la raza!

94. One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:51 pm:

I like Lowe’s. I don’t like that they put up signs for non-english speaking customers but wouldn’t consider hiring them, particularly at the higher levels. I don’t think non-english signs are helping anyone, I think they are enabling.

After spending time in Europe, I learned the word “next” in about six languages. That’s what they said when they found out I only spoke English. The instant I attempted the local language, smiles broke out and everyone fell over backwards. If I brought my child to Italy, I’d send him shopping every day and put him in a classroom that only spoke Italian so he would learn faster. I’d also speak only Italian at certain times of the day.

Doesn’t anyone agree that encouraging adaptation to English is better for the children to suceed? That needs to begin at home just like every other aspect of a childs education. Becoming bi-lingual is a good thing.

WHAT is the big deal? I don’t think we should be mean about it; I think we should be encouraging about it. There is a difference.

Sigh….. the children, the children….

95. One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:52 pm:

PS I had the same experience in Mexico. :)

96. One Voice said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:55 pm:

UnMasMexican

Would you respond to my 5:51 post? I would be interested in your opinion.

97. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:45 pm:

Patty, (@2.56 pm)

Earlier I posted ‘I am delighted to see that Lowes and Home Depot are at least sensitive to one cultural group….’ as a lead in to the rest of my paragraph.

Surely you recognized this as sarcasm? What was my main point? My point had nothing to do with signs and everything to do with how women are treated in Lowes and Home Depot.

Actually you have no clue what I know or don’t know about retail, or what my family members do for a living.

I would be more willing to listen to your point of view if the social skills were a little less abrasive. Starting off an opinion statement with ‘I know more than you do’ is not the way to get your point across. That big OFF switch in the sky gets activated. I don’t know why you feel I have an opinion on signs. I have not stated any opinion other than I don’t really care. Now tell me why you had to go head to head with me over something I never said or even implied?

98. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 6:54 pm:

In the grand scheme of things this is no big deal. So what? There are bigger issues with the illegal problem that need to be addressed. Frank Wolfe has done nothing on the problem. Where are all the questions for him? Oh yeah, Goober (Cory) and Gomer (Stirrup), that resoultion, it sure has addressed the problem. None at the old folks home, but they are still at the Coverstone 7-11. Been to an emergency room lately? They’re still there. The resouloution was nothing but window dressing.

99. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:28 pm:

“I believe that Korean is the second largest non-english language in PWC/Manassas. See any signs in Korean anywhere anyone????”

I don’t have the same linguistic hang ups as many on here, except this one… no other ethnic or immigrant group is provided the level of assistance that the Latino community is provided. Most schools in Northern Virginia easily have dozens of languages spoken at home, many with parents who speak little or no English. But only the Spanish community is provided with correspondence and conference translation. Vietnamese, Portugese, Korean, eastern European languages… the list goes on, but only Spanish speakers are provided these services in this area and it is patently unfair to those immigrants who don’t speak Spanish. I don’t have a problem with Spanish language signs, translation, and so on - just provide them for everyone. If you aren’t willing to do that, then no one group should be given such an advantage. It should be that simple.

100. Tobias Jodter said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:45 pm:

Ever been to Centreville? Many businesses in Centreville have their signs up in ONLY Korean. The Old Centreville Crossing shopping center has 17 Korean owned businesses. And a lot of them don’t have any English signs.

Translation = Not Korean? Not Welcome!

101. West Gate Witch said on 4 Dec 2007 at 8:58 pm:

I better check and make sure nobody’s stolen my broom.
    I already have a couple of suspects if it’s gone. :)
    ’tis the season..

102. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:15 pm:

UnMasMexican said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:50 pm:

We ARE PWC…..accept this or move on…

NEVER HAS BEEN, NEVER WILL BE! LA RAZA COME EXCREMENTOS DE PERRO!

103. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 9:46 pm:

UnMasMexican said on 4 Dec 2007 at 5:50 pm: LA RAZA COME EXCREMENTOS DE PERRO!
    If the translation is correct that is: laraza EAT DOG’S FECES!
    Say that and you have to ask youself why people feel the way they do. To you: bueno adiós bebé

104. Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:02 pm:

To all the anonymouses

UnMasMexican did not make the dog feces remark. The original comment has been removed from the blog. I snagged it before it poofed. I am looking at it. It was added on to UMM’s comment. While I often do not agree with UnMasMexican, he is innocent on this one.

~~splash~~

105. Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:38 pm:

Dolph said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:02 pm:
    To all the anonymouses
    *************************
    I am the one guilty of making the dog excrement statement and I wholeheartedly appologize to UnMasMexican. I was so irritated by the statement “we are PWC” and the La Raza comment that I spoke before I thought. Again, please accept my appology and be assured that there will be no further statements of that kind by me.

106. Lafayette said on 5 Dec 2007 at 12:47 am:

Anonymous said on 4 Dec 2007 at 11:38 pm:
    I find your apology admirable, and feel certain you won’t repeat this evening’s mishap.
    Please, pick a screen name or anon-# or letter. The “anon’s” can get plentiful at the sametime, and then everyone gets on the “naughty list”.
    **A “GOLD STAR” for Dolph with her quick catch, and setting the record straight. :)

107. freedom said on 5 Dec 2007 at 5:35 am:

Tobias Jodter said … “The Old Centreville Crossing shopping center has 17 Korean owned businesses. And a lot of them don’t have any English signs.
    Translation = Not Korean? Not Welcome!”

I certainly have not a problem with shops/stores established for a particular ethnic group, whether Korean, Latino, Asian or whatever. I am sure that specialty items that they want, particularly food items, are not available in large, mainstream stores. Likewise, I am sure that if you need to purchase items that they carry, they would be happy to fill that need for you.

Further, retail is a very competitive business, and the large, mainstream stores…any stores, for that matter…can and will attempt to attract business. Certainly, if I owned a business, and were attempting to make a profit, I’d want to sell to whomever would buy — that’s business — and I’d certainly have to weigh my marketing efforts to determine if those efforts increased or decreased my customers and the business bottom-line.

When some mainstream stores advertise PRIMARILY to attract the Latino community, it sure is telling as to what’s going on in our society though, isn’t it? For example, there is a CVS pharmacy in Woodbridge that has the normal signs over each aisle that assist shoppers in finding merchandise items — these signs are in Spanish on one side and English on the other. However, upon entering the store, it’s the Spanish that you see. If you read only English, you must go to the back of the store and turn around, facing the front to see the aisle markers in English. Wonder why this is? CVS has made a business decision and while it’s inconvenient for me, and I’ll go elsewhere, it’s their business decision…and a decision that they are and should be entitled to make.

Businesses don’t control immigration…they’re obviously out to make money…and if they don’t, they won’t remain in business for long.

Let’s face it, if we, as English speaking people, wish not to become the minority in this country, the burden of responsibility is ours…yours and mine…to petition and petition again, the government to effectively control immigration, to ensure our sovereignty, and to scrap (for once and for all) the concept of a North American Union.

108. Bridget said on 5 Dec 2007 at 7:34 am:

In addition to the less than inclusive “Viva La Raza” pronouncement and the “we ARE PWC…accept this or move on” demographic inevitibility dictate made by UnMasMexican, we also got this:

“…the value of a free market and the right of stores to post signage as desired.”(Repeating for emphasis: The Right to Post signage as desired.)

…8…7…6…Waiting for the fine print exclusionary clauses to arrive from UMM … after a thorough review by lawyers, the Human Rights Commission and vote by the Council of LA RAZA.

I avoid any business that advertises “Se habla Espanol” for the simple reason that, more often than not, non-English speakers, or those with very limited English, have been hired to work behind the counter.

If I can’t understand them, nor they me - it can make business transactions very tedious. It is one thing to be in a foreign land, knowing full well that the native language must used if one wants service .

Albeit, encountering difficulty in your own homeland becouse you don’t speak a foreigh language - and being treated like an intrusive interloper while at home is for the birds. Whether over the phone, over the counter or in government offices… nobody enjoys being treated like a stranger, an interloper, in their own land.

I once went to a dental office with a Se Habla sign. My first clue should have been the rude receptionist who saw fit to respond to my “Hello, how are you, my name is…” with a glare. She greated every Latino patient with a warm and wordy greeting, while I had recieved a curt, unsmiling “You have appointment?” followed by “Now wait”.

Once in the chair, the hygienist was unable to answer a few simply questions regarding the treatment I had requested … the very treatment that he was preparing me for.

The new dentist was just fine … but I never went back. A short , polite note explaining my position was sufficient.

109. freedom said on 5 Dec 2007 at 1:29 pm:

I’m with you, Bridgit, it’s both frustrating and tedious…I don’t like it any more than you do. Again though, as a result of our government not controlling the border, the Latino/Spanish speaking population continues to grow…and for that reason, businesses find it profitable to cater to the Spanish speaking population.

Is it fair to people who speak other foreign languages, e.g., Korean, Japanese and Chinese? No, but the businesses aren’t interested in fairness, they’re interested in making a profit as a result of spending by whomever has the bucks. If it weren’t for the fact that we have so many Spanish only speaking people in this country (and the numbers will only grow, until the illegal border crossing has been stopped) the Spanish signage and the Spanish only receptionists/clerks/cashiers would disappear.

The thing that REALLY gets me though is the enabling of our PWC govt through bilingual government documents (at taxpayer expense) and the premium paid (at taxpayer expense) to new hires who speak Spanish as well as English.

110. UnMasMexican said on 5 Dec 2007 at 6:11 pm:

Thanks, Dolph. Apology gladly accepted, Anon.

To me la raza is my friends, family, heritage– we are proud to bring this with us to PWC. That is what the statement was. Thanks for the kindness.

111. Anonymous said on 5 Dec 2007 at 6:16 pm:

laraza means our race.

112. Dolph said on 5 Dec 2007 at 6:38 pm:

UMM, you are more than welcome. Thanks for explaining your intent. And I am sure you understand that there are folks here who see that expression as a threat because of their exposure to the expression being used in other ways. I think all of us value our friends, family and heritage. This is a good thing.

To Anonymous who was involved in this discussion. I have a great deal of respect for you (although I DO wish you would assign yourself a name or number) for being man or woman enough to apologize. Many of us have a real hard time with doing that. Those often are not easy words for me.

~~splash~~peace~~paz~~