A Rubber Fist, A Camera Crew, And A Washington Post Reporter

By Greg L | 20 December 2007 | Virginia Politics | 61 Comments

Warning: disturbing content

Tim Craig spends a fair amount of time with our elected officials in Richmond in his capacity as a reporter for the Washington Post, and probably has developed some pretty good relationships with many of them. Before he took his Richmond assignment and was still in Washington, he got to meet another notable person and develop a brief relationship with him. I daresay that relationship was fundamentally different than the one he probably cultivates with our elected officials, though. At least I’d hope so.

Why would I say that? Because I just can’t picture him trying to stuff a fist-shaped dildo up any the butts of any of our elected officials. That’s probably not in the Washington Post’s stylebook.

Let’s go to the video tape:

00:38 We revel in all the glory of the perversion that is the DC Gay Pride Parade

00:59 “Borat” interviews Alan Keyes, telling him about all the friendly people he met in DC.

01:10 Washington Post Reporter Tim Craig and an unidentified male “friend” enter a DC hotel room with “Borat”.

01:15 Tim Craig watches as “Borat” and the “friend” wrestle each other in their underwear.

01:17 Here’s the fist-shaped dildo, which Tim Craig proceeds to waggle in front of “Borat” in his own enticing way.

01:20 “Borat” and Tim Craig’s friend go into the bathroom together. Tim Craig is such a “sub”…

01:22 Alan Keys begins to explain to “Borat” who his new friends are.

01:30 “Borat” seeks clarification “Are you telling me the man [Tim Craig] who tried to put a rubber fist in my aynoos was a homosexual?

Oh, yes. Oh, no.

The post sure can pick the right person to go down to Richmond for them. I’ll bet the parties down there during the session are just fabulous.

UPDATE: Just coincidentally, Sascha Cohen has decided to retire “Borat” and “Ali G” today, claiming they’re now to well known to fool anyone.

1. Fair and Balanced said on 20 Dec 2007 at 11:49 pm:

Um, are you completely sure this is the person who you mentioned in the video?

2. Greg L said on 21 Dec 2007 at 12:11 am:

Oh yeah, this is him. The libs have known about this for a while.

The story is that Craig and his buddy brought “Borat” into their room after the Gay Pride parade, and because “Borat” was invited, there was no need to get Craig or the other guy to sign a release. Craig apparently didn’t pay much attention to the guy with the camera — I guess getting filmed isn’t all that unusual.

Tim Craig was in the press caravan following Jim Webb last election season, and had been tooling around Southside, feeling like they were cut off from civilization. They got into a larger town, and Borat had just come out. A lot of the reporters went to see it. Tim Craig didn’t. When they returned from the film, they asked Craig whether he’d signed a release and he was utterly clueless. When they asked him if he ever met a guy with a strange accent following a Gay Pride parade and took him up to their room, he finally understood what the rest of the press folks were talking about and admitted this was him.

I’ve met Tim Craig. This is him.

3. J. Geils said on 21 Dec 2007 at 2:34 am:

Have you no shame?

What is the point of this post? Why would this be of interest to “our elected officials in Richmond”? How can BVBL claim to know the specific details of the filming of this event and why should readers rely on his account?

This entire posting strikes me as a tad convenient. Consider the order of recent events. Key members of the Virginia Democratic blogosphere get their noses (not to mention their inflated egos and, potentially, their wallets) out of joint because Tim Craig writes a column questioning the wisdom of Judy Feder and Leslie Byrne in aligning themselves with some of those same bloggers as a strategy for victory. Then, Tribbett and Feld go after Craig. Next, Roll Call publishes a story naming the DCCC’s 40 top districts and Virginia doesn’t make the cut, thus reinforcing one of the points in Craig’s column. Since Tribbett and Feld can’t attack Craig directly based on his private life, they leave it to their favorite scribe in the Virginia Republican blogosphere, BVBL, to make the slam. Finally to make the smear complete, Tribbett links to BVBL from his blog so that everyone can read the even-if-true-irrelevant information.

Tim Craig is employed by the Washington Post. Although that publication has a liberal slant, it still has to adhere to journalistic standards that blogs such as BVBL, NotLarrySabato, and RaisingKaine do not. Craig is something that BVBL, NotLarrySabato, and RaisingKaine are not and will likely never be: a professional reporter. This posting, and what is fast becoming a cyberspace-food-fight against Tim Craig by NotLarrySabato and RaisingKaine, represents the kind of writing that discredits the blogs.

This all began because Craig wrote a column suggesting that Judy Feder and Leslie Byrne might face more of an uphill struggle than their enthusiastic supporters might realize. Even if there was something that justified highlighting an event in Craig’s life in an attempt to subject him to public ridicule (and I don’t think there is or ever could be), fulfilling the requirements of his employment by penning a column of basic political analysis certainly is not it.

4. Timothy Watson said on 21 Dec 2007 at 4:29 am:

@J. Geils

If the blogs are so unimportant, then why the heck are you reading them?

Go tell someone that cares.

5. Rick Bentley said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:22 am:

You do realize Borat’s line was a joke? In all likelihood one Craig wouldn’t know of or anticipate?

6. Krusty said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:58 am:

HURRAH, HURRAH, HURRAH!!!

Will threads like this one be the trend in the new organization SAVE THE OLD DOMINION. Great beginning, indeed!

7. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 7:02 am:

Nice to see you never run out of people to hate

8. Not Faisal Gill said on 21 Dec 2007 at 7:42 am:

Wow, this is basically an invitation for a defamation suit if it isn’t true and unlike that Chapman nonsense this one could be big. I don’t see how Tim Craig (any relation to Larry Craig?) lets this go if it’s not true. How does a Post reporter not know who Ali G is? How does he just let a strange guy (and his camera crew!) into his hotel room? Come on, he had to be in on the joke.

9. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 7:51 am:

I sure hope all the religious rights of this blog stay away from this thread. I can’t wait to see what they will have to say about such VULGARITY if anything. They might actually keep their radical rantings and contempt for those that they do NOT agree with to them. I hope their fellow church goers and religious leaders of their places of worship don’t see their comments.
    I must say I shouldn’t be surprised by what I see on here. However, this is a SHOCKER.
    I saw this last night and was truly at a loss for words.
    As for “Borat”, I’ve never seen his movie, nor would I. I have no interest what soever in someone the has show on HBO, called “Da Ali Show”.

10. Everyone's an Ann Coulter Fan Behind Closed Doors said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:27 am:

The movie was actually hilarious. It’s one of those that says what everyone is thinking and it attacks a lot of the stereotypes that society has for cultures and groups of people right here in our own country.

As far as the comments above “I sure hope all the religious rights of this blog stay away from this thread. I can’t wait to see what they will have to say about such VULGARITY if anything.”

Well, yes it is vulgar. And if it were a movie with heterosexuals using dildos and other sexual objects/toys then I would say it’s vulgar still. That’s why we have the rating system-ie rating a movie ‘X’. There’s an entire industry that does nothing more than this, and if you want to watch it then you can. But for a reporter that writes for what this country thinks is “repretable” then no it’s not ok. To think that his writing isn’t biased to begin with seeing as he works for the Post is a crock of —-, but then to know that someone that has no qualms about letting his sexuality be seen…; well let’s hope that this attitude of life doesn’t make it into his columns (I won’t hold my breath).

And to address the comments of he may not have known that this was a movie…well there’s a camera in the room and I’m pretty sure he’s aware of a little thing called the “internet.” So if we pretend that he didn’t know what was going on, then he should have been more aware and cautious seeing as he was being filmed. Unless one of his idols is Paris Hilton, and if so then he may be following in her footsteps.

This wasn’t a “set up” for a scene in a movie. If anyone has seen the film and then followed the fall out of it afterwards, you would know that there were male students from USC that were in the film that made horribly sexist remarks and they had no idea that they were going to be in a movie. And they took legal action against the film (they lost because they agreed to be taped), but none the less they didn’t know it was for a movie.

I’m tired of the liberals saying that it’s the “religious right” that has this all wrong. If it were the “religious right” making complaints, they would be yelling at us.

Like my mother always said, when you point your finger at one person there are always three pointing straight back at you. (and note that there will be someone who says that I’m pointing fingers and that I should look at my mother’s saying-well I’m not so don’t waste all of our time having to scroll past your diatribe of accusations).

11. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:28 am:

Corr:*last word should be THEMSELVES**

12. Everyone's an Ann Coulter Fan Behind Closed Doors said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:28 am:

Correction “reputable”

13. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:29 am:

Krusty said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:58 am:
    HURRAH, HURRAH, HURRAH!!!

THE LAST HURRAH!!!

14. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:40 am:

Everyone’s an Ann Coulter Fan Behind Closed Doors said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:27 am:

Go re-read this blog it is the “religious rights” that start the childish name calling, which takes away from their credibilty and yours for that matter.

It does NOT matter to me if it were set up or not. The fact is a fist like dildo and the comments are disgusting. I am open minded, and have been called liberal many times on here, and I can’t imagine too many “lefty libs” as you might call them find this offensive. I thank Greg for the warning.
    Your opinion is just that. I have mine you have yours. I scroll by many’s comments here myself. You must not have ignored it this morning.
    Chris Pannell

15. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:45 am:

corr: strike this below.
    ****
    I bet the “lefty libs”(as the “righty’s would say) do find this OFFENSIVE and VULGAR. This is an all time low on here.IMHO

16. Dolph said on 21 Dec 2007 at 8:52 am:

BVBL……the new Blade?

What is the point other than to smear someone. I am not interested in this dude’s personal life. I could care less. I guess there has to be something for everyone on here though…snicker.

17. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:01 am:

Where have all the Anonyhorses a$$es gone?
    A I’m thinking there may not be as many posters as I originally thought. I think there’s few posters with multiple “personas”.
    It really looks like it’s about 3or4 posters using a host of different screen names. There are flaws in “personas” bio’s.
    I hope you all have had fun with YOURSELVES, as you probably are right this minute after watching this clip.

18. Everyone's an Ann Coulter Fan Behind Closed Doors said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:05 am:

I appreciate your opinion, that’s what makes blogs great because people can say what they feel and not be afraid to do so.

If you are open minded then why do you feel as if what Greg has posted as being rude, smearing, childish, closed minded? Isn’t that the exact opposite of your argument.

And you refer to what the “religious right” posts as childish name calling, what does the statement “Why you and yours of your ilk just dismiss someone that’s not 100% agreement with you? Narrow mindedness.” I call that name calling.

Why is it when a “conservative” makes a statement it is catergorized as narrow mindedness, but when a “liberal” makes a statement it is open mindedness? Seems pretty narrow minded to me.

And again, the discussion is whether or not Craig is credible when he makes decisions such as this. What we all do behind closed doors is our business. Once we step outside those closed doors and make it public (yet again- the PRESENCE OF A VIDEO CAMERA!)-then you allow yourself to fall under public scrutiny.

It’s not just “conservatives” that scrutinize, it’s everyone. And if you disagree with that statement or you argue that what “liberals” say as being discussion of the facts-not scrutiny. Well then you live in either a world of denial or you just like lying to the public.

19. Krusty said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:05 am:

Dolph - What do you think compelled Greg to put this up four days before Christmas? After giving a lengthy sermon, very religious and righteous, to me on another thread a while back, I just can’t understand this bottom feeding.

20. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:17 am:

I did NOT say this of Greg L. I was speaking of the posters.
    I am open minded and YOU know that. I do listen to others opinions even those I disagree with, and take into consideration, and have even been known to change my original thoughts.
    There are good and bad in all groups, race, creeds, nationalities, etc. Would you disagree with that?
    Yep, “big brother” is everywhere just like Elvis.

21. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:23 am:

Is yours too? ;)

/\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:06 am:
    I will let you spout your little diatribe now and it will be the last word.

22. Everyone's an Ann Coulter Fan Behind Closed Doors said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:24 am:

I do agree with your last statement.

I don’t understand your statement of “big brother is everywhere just like Elvis”.

But I do like Elvis

23. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:33 am:

Everyone’s an Ann Coulter Fan Behind Closed Doors said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:24 am:

It’s a song by Mo Jo Nixon. It’s about all the Elvis sightings and how they never stop.
    Well, I’m glad to see you can agree with something.

24. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:36 am:

one thing i know for sure. you write what you write in your own ways with how you see it without having say, um, an editor? telling you what can fly and what can’t …. hm, so you’re like starving artists. ok, i get it, you’re irrelevant.

25. Dolph said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:37 am:

Krusty,

I seriously have no answer to your question. Some vast left wing conspiracy I don’t know about probably….or Right wing. I am not even sure what is right and what is left wing at this point, after reading all this junk.

I am sure if I am patient, I will be enlightened….

~~splash~~

26. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:40 am:

Think Larry is his dad

27. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:07 am:

Oh goody, the Grammar Police are out now. Oh, it’s the same person is it NOT?

28. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:22 am:

Lafayette, Make sure you post the entire comment and whom it was meant for. That post was meant for One Voice on another thread. (c:
    _____________________________________

Dolph, As you will be young grasshopper…..I like the splash better (c;

29. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:25 am:

Such a thread and to think I was called crude for posting hind tit in one of my posts.

Greg, Please get above this and let’s get back to the ILLEGAL alien issue. I am waiting for a new thread.

30. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:31 am:

Yes Medic, I understand that was not at me. However, this has all gotten way out of control on here. This was once a place for good productive debate and now it seems to be hate, name calling, and rantings. This does NOT look good in my opinion.

Well “Anne” there wouldn’t answer if they were the same person. So, you are here now. Are you the “Anne” wannabe?
    I’m more than willing to discuss this offline. I did send you an email last week.
    You’ve always respectful of me, and hope you are NOT the “anne”.

31. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:39 am:

Though this be madness, there be method in it.

32. Dolph said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:41 am:

Medic,

Ok, I’ll bite. What is the grasshopper comment about? I am sitting here thinking swarms of locusts…I can assure you I am not a young anything. And the thought of hopping today….makes me cry.

Ho ho ho.

~~splash~~

33. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:45 am:

I agree Lafayette. I am in hopes that this doesn’t slip off into that rut of flaming everyone just because they do not agree. I have had my character dragged into this just because I call it as I see it and don’t blow sunshine up people’s dresses. I do not bow to the PC police and if people do not like it, they can just scroll on by my posts OR appreciate the fact that I am who I am no matter where I am.

Respect the fact that I will treat people the same way from the back as I do from the front.

34. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:48 am:

# Dolph said on 21 Dec 2007 at 9:37 am:

Krusty,

–> I am sure if I am patient, I will be enlightened….

~~splash~~

I don’t think you are old, young grasshopper. (c; It is in respect to not being enlightened. What you posted sounded like a Chinese proverb or fortune cookie (c;

35. One Voice said on 21 Dec 2007 at 10:50 am:

Medic -. You can hate me and pull a nasty and then blow kisses to someone else both in one post. It’s a bit obvious as are a few other things……

36. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:00 am:

My what a clever bunch we have here today.

37. Batson D. Belfrey said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:00 am:

I have seen the movie (it is hilarious), and followed the contraversy that surrounded it after its openning. Bob Barr, Alan Keyes, and many others thought that Borat was exactly who he claimed to be: A reporter form Kazakstan. The producer of a local morning news program in Mississippi, Dharma Arthur, was fired for booking Borat on the morning show, after he made a mockery of the news broadcast. Several of the other non-public-figure persons featured eventually sued Sacha Baron Cohen, after having been duped into thinking the documentary was legit. This is “candid camera” in the new millenium.I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Tim Craig was similarly duped.

If he too was duped, it is resonable to think that he believed that this footage would only be seen on “State TV Kazakstan”, for which Borat was “number two reporter”. Being a journalist himself, maybe he felt an affinity for the “fish out of water” backwards Borat. I am sure he is suitably embarrassed, and professionally humiliated. He should be. He was made a fool of. If he’s proud enough of his orientation to march in a parade, then his orientation is not at issue here. What is at issue is that he was filmed looking like a jack-ass (for those who have seen the film, there were three college kids in one segment who got drunk on camera, made some arguably racist comments, and just generally made fools of themselves), and was duped by a character actor. As a journalist, he should be expected to be a little bit more skeptical.

Is this part of a campaign to “smear him”? Is Greg the unwitting pawn of NLS and Raising Kaine, who have an axe to grind with this particular reporter, who did nothing more than point our the obvious? Judy Feder IS going to have a hard time winning? They (NLS, Raising Kaine) just don’t like the truth, and want to embarrass this reporter. This is pretty clear. What isn’t clear is why Greg chose to run this post.

So what, if anything is Greg “guilty” of? The evidence is pretty clear that the individual in the film is indeed Tim Craig. If it wasn’t, he would have already hit NLS and RK with a “C&D” letter from his attorney. That this hasn’t happened is telling. If it is indeed true, then the truth is not a “smear”. That said, I have to ask, “to what end?”. Maybe Greg will tell us why. Maybe he won’t.

What makes me laugh is all of the “moral indignation” here. I am not outraged by this post in the least. I am laughing at a lib reporter, who made a fool of himself, ended up being part of one of the biggest hoaxes of 2006/2007, was called on it by his collegues and probably took a lot of razzing. I am also laughing at NLS and RK for “eating one of their own” In the world of YouTube, camera phones, google, and blogs, if you don’t want to end up looking like a total jack-ass, then don’t act like one in public. If you want to act like one in private, then make sure no one has a camera. Politics is a contact sport. This reporter chose to play in that arena, and that’s fine. However, if you are going to do this, then you need to make sure your “judgement dial” “goes to eleven”. (For those who don’t get this joke, you need to get out more).

38. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:02 am:

One Voice, I will not be dragged into a discussion like this with you on every thread. You can take your PMS (Poor Me Syndrome) and move along. The post to Lafayette was not intended to show any hate towards you. Get over it. Remember, you were the one that stared with the name calling and wanting to drag my character into the discussion. Now, you can say your little piece in response to this post and you can have the last word on this thread as well.

39. anonymoustoo said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:09 am:

Ha ha. God, guns, and gays! How will the far-right fit “illegal immigration” into that alliterative list? Gotta have a scapegoat to fear!

Lafayette, I think there are a few sockpuppets on the loose here too.

40. One Voice said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:15 am:

Oh, I have waaaaayyy to much self esteem to EVER have a poor me attitude. Please don’t worry about me, but thanks for the offer.

Besides, I’ve not really been challenged here, you know. It’s all just huffing and puffing - I am sure in a resturant everyone would be very civil and pleasant. I think the annoynimity (I CANNOT spell) of this venue pushes all of us to press more that we ever would face to face and therefore be less respectful.

Face it, most are here because there is a local problem and it is illegal. There is no moralizing that. It is what it is.

So let’s all back up, respect that each of us has had different experiences and live in different situations. Let’s agree to disagree without the stinking moralizing about why my arguement is more “christian’ than someone else’s. Let just simply exchange inforrmation and ideas and let just respect each other.

Occasional bantering is fun, Medic, we went round just about a week ago. There were no “moral knives” thrown there. ALthough I recall something about me crumpling to the floor and an iv being offered.

Let’s move on….. :)

41. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:16 am:

42. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:21 am:

Batson, We were warned about the content in the beginning. I am just curious how this helps with the ILLEGAL alien debate. I agree you should act as if everything you do is under evaluation in public. If not, be ready to answer for it. I personally have not knowingly read any of his columns. If I did, I do not remember them.

43. Rob Smalls (Inspiration of the BVBL 40K Post) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:40 am:

I agree with Medic 64. This thread is stupid, has nil meaning to local politics, and impugns a man solely for his personal choices in life. I don’t agree with those choices, but on the bright side, I don’t have to live his life. Castigate him for his reportage if you find it lacking, but stick to politics if you want to remain “the most visited conservative political website in Virginia”. Entries like this can only whittle your credibility into the margins.

44. Intrepid said on 21 Dec 2007 at 11:54 am:

I also endorse the comment of Medic/Bob Smalls. There is no purpose to these hysterical comments from a few that see their role as simply antagonistic.

Stick to the program as presented or move along. There is no time to be wasted on these blithering comments that do not further this cause or serve any other pupose than self-aggrandizement.

My endorsement for BVBL.

45. Jane D'oh! said on 21 Dec 2007 at 12:02 pm:

If true, his public behavior was rather odd for someone who presumably wants to be taken seriously as a man and a journalist and is also a face for The Washington Post. It’s rather sad that he degraded himself as he did.

As for the journalistic integrity and professional standards of the old media and leaving it to the pros…. Eh, that’s okay.

Short list:

46. Batson D. Belfrey said on 21 Dec 2007 at 12:22 pm:

“Batson, We were warned about the content in the beginning. I am just curious how this helps with the ILLEGAL alien debate.”

“I agree with Medic 64. This thread is stupid, has nil meaning to local politics, and impugns a man solely for his personal choices in life.”

OK. I know you guys, as well as many others are new to blogs. I am going to walk through this. Please don’t take this as a slam, or me trying to talk down to anyone. Like listening to an AM station at night. Sometimes you have to listen a bit harder, to hear what is being said behind the static:

“And this guy has the nerve to start calling up candidates and telling them that if they talk to blogs, the Washington Post won’t cover the story. If someone is going to start trying to silence other media outlets, they better not be running around behind the scenes with rubber fists.”

Bingo. This anonymous poster hit the nail right on the head. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was posted by one of the Dem blogsgers who understands what is going on here.

Since the beginning of political blogs, there has always been an adversarial relationship. First the MSM dismissed bloogers as “guys in their pajamas” with too much time on their hands.” After bloggers embarrased the MSM by blowing away some of their juciest stories the began to see bloggers as a threat to their monopoly on information dessmination. If you need an example, talk to Dan Rather. Next, reporters realized that bloggers have the edge in getting stories out first. “Maccaca” is a great example. MSM journalists rountinely monitor blogs, looking for stories. They see something, due a little fact checking, get a few quotes, and write a story like they were the ones that broke it. Others throw threats around to local politicians saying “don’t talk to blogs”. The MSM hates all blogs, including the liberal ones, because they no longer have a monopoly and a captive audience.

What does this have to do with illegal immigration? Nothing. However, while you may have come to BVBL for news about this issue, long time readers know that this isn’t the “illegal immigration” blog, even though many of the dicsussions reflect the blog owner’s concern about this issue. This is a blog. Reminding the MSM that they aren’t the only game in town, calling them on their half-assed “neutral” reporting and or hypocrisy is something that a blogger should do, and Greg does do this frequently, but mostly focuses on the MJM and Pot News. That doesn’t mean that the Post is off limits.

What does this have to do with local politics? I read original Craig article. While I do agree with his analysis of the candidates and the election results, he did take a poke at bloggers. I don’t blame them for poking back.

If you know the history of this blog, you’ll know that if you are in the public arena, you are fair game. This reporter insulted blogs for not being serious journalists, and or having little to no influence on local races. This can be translated as having little to no influence period. Also, if the anon. poster of the comment above is correct, then this reporter has also actively attempted to make blogs less relevant. He picked the fight. The blogs are simply reminding him of how remevant they can be, and what kind of impact they can have. Call it a “show of force” like when a petty dictator shouts that the US is a weak paper tiger, and we send a Stealth bomber in and blow up a bridge.

On another blog, someone warned the blog-owner that it is unwise to “pick a fight with a man who buys ink by the barrel” Perhaps. However, bloggers buy digital ink by the Terrabyte. I’d give the edge to the bloggers.

47. veteran said on 21 Dec 2007 at 12:51 pm:

Anon2: How about “Guns, Gays, God and illegal Guatamalans”

48. Slick said on 21 Dec 2007 at 1:00 pm:

OMG I can’t stop laughing! Borat is too funny.

49. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 1:24 pm:

Howdy RS!!! How are ya?? Missed your input while you were on “vacation” in Rotten Groton bubble head land (c;

50. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 1:33 pm:

Batson D. Belfrey, Good points! I understand the blog concept as a whole. There are many blogs out there that get way pushier than this one does when it comes to politics. I come here because of the ILLEGAL alien issue discussions.

I can see your point about it being fair game and because I do not read the Washpost, I can safely say I do not remember ever reading any of this reporter’s articles. If he did disparage the blogs as you say, well then he has to be ready for the terrabytes of information that can be disseminated about him in less time than it takes for them to print one single newspaper.

51. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2007 at 3:26 pm:

“Because I just can’t picture him trying to stuff a fist-shaped dildo up any the butts of any of our elected officials.”

Why do these words need to appear on the front page of the blog of a respected community leader? I try to keep an open mind. Greg, but then you do something offensive…

52. Leeroy Jenkins said on 21 Dec 2007 at 4:10 pm:

I have chosen not to lower myself by responding to this……oh, oops!

53. Rob Smalls (Inspiration of the BVBL 40K Post) said on 21 Dec 2007 at 4:40 pm:

Heya Doc,

Vacation. That’s a good one. Real vacation comes up in January, 10 days in Orlando hanging out at the Mouse House.

54. 999 said on 21 Dec 2007 at 4:56 pm:

More Borat.

55. Anne said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:00 pm:

Lafayette, I’m confused. Are you talking to me? Or are you talking to the Ann[e] Coulter poster? I’m guessing you are talking to that person, as I do, in fact, post under my real first name. This is my first post on this thread, though, and about my third or fourth post on this blog, ever. On this thread, I thought the initial topic was so crude that I did want to say anything about it and feed the thread, although I admit my curiousity got the better of me and I did read it nevertheless! That’s how I say your post. Anyway, I am me. So are you talking to me? :-(

56. Anne said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:01 pm:

I meant I did not want to say anything about it and feed the thread. You know what I meant.

57. Anne said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:02 pm:

And I meant saw. Not say. Gee wiz, I’ll just quit while I’m ahead.

58. es_la_ley said on 21 Dec 2007 at 6:28 pm:

Anne : On this thread, I thought the initial topic was so crude that I did want to say anything about it and feed the thread, although I admit my curiousity got the better of me and I did read it nevertheless!

Yea, it just sucked you in, didn’t it? I hate when that happens. One minute you’re avoiding a thread and the next minute you’re wallowing with the hogs. :-)

59. Lafayette said on 21 Dec 2007 at 7:18 pm:

Anne,
    No, I was not talking about you. Sorry, for the confusion.

60. Dennis said on 25 Dec 2007 at 8:30 am:

Funny how so many negative comments on the article and clip!

The point is, how reliable is the reporting, not only the WP, but any source of news in the paper, television or on the net.

If in fact Tim Craig did or did not know who Borat is does not matter. Any adult that is in the news reporting field would never allow himself to be degraded like that. That is my “Opinion!” Of course if your livelyhood called for you to be a complete ass, like Rosie, then by all means!

However if you trying to control access to certain people in congress and the state legislatures of the country, then you have the enemy of the 1st amendment! Freedom of the press, as long as it is not a blog? NOT!

Also, while it seems common for the cowards of the country to sign “Anonymous”, it is in fact dangerous, is it one of the “elected” officals? It it somebody that in public says one thing to get elected an in private or behinid a fake name say something totally different.

I live in Carpentersville, IL where the current Mayor in 2000 in a letter to the editor wrote how he wanted all the illegal’s to get sent back, right NOW!

Move forward to Oct, 6th, 2006 and watch the coward change his colors and table the presented ordinance because of the 3000 bused in supporters of the illegal aliens!

We also have a web site by the name of CAN “claiming” to be for the improvement of the village, when in fact it is bash-board of the other elected officals. They also have “anonymous” postings! To mock them I started using the name Auntie Moose, when probably everyone within a hundred knows darn well it is me.

I like the saying from the movies: “You can’t stand to hear the truth!”

61. anonymous coward said on 27 Dec 2007 at 3:57 pm:

What ees wrong weeth pooting rubber feest up the aynoos? We do eet all the time in Kazahkstan. Nice!