Too Quick On The Trigger

By Greg L | 25 January 2008 | Blogs | 59 Comments

Sorry about that folks, a really nice story which should have been embargoed that went up a few minutes ago had to pulled down until it gets released by it’s source.  My apologies to the DC Examiner, which is going to have one heck of a story coming out soon about the effects of the crackdown on illegal aliens in Prince William County.

A few of you had a chance to see this before I pulled it.  Please keep it to yourselves, and don’t spill the story in the comments section as a favor to me.

1. Anon. said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:13 pm:

Saw it, love it, can’t wait to read more!

2. BattleCat said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:15 pm:

Story?, what story?

3. Krusty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:28 pm:

What do you mean “should have been embargoed”? What does that mean? How do you enbargo news? A favor to you? This thread is full of questions.

4. JM said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:35 pm:

Definition from Wordnet:

verb
    1. ban the publication of (documents), as for security or copyright reasons; “embargoed publications”

Seems to apply in this instance.

5. starryflights said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:40 pm:

Can’t wait to read this story. I hope it is as good as it appears to be.

6. park'd said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:43 pm:

Crackdown?? Did I miss something? An unfunded resolution that the chief of police ignores while the BOCS pats him on the back for it does not a crackdown make Greg. I look forward to the article but I will take its assessment of this so called “crackdown” with a grain of salt if you don’t mind.

7. Ric James said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:46 pm:

Now, are you sure you didn’t do this just to create a buzz and draw in traffic? ;)

(That’s brilliant! Wish I’d thought of it.)

8. Mr. anon said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:57 pm:

I laughed, I cried, violins played. It was the best story I ever read. Too bad Krusty missed it.

My guess is that the county conducted a survey and found that displayed rubber testicles on trucks decreased by 34 percent since the ordinance passed.

9. Mando said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:59 pm:

You’re right park’d. In my mind, the “crackdown” here is more about perception than reality. Self deportation due to the perception (a right one at that) that *most* PWC residents are fed up with illegal aliens and the dire state they put our communities in. That perception plus other areas either turning a blind eye to the situation or blatantly throwing down a welcome mat may very well be leading to an exodus which we may now begain to quantify.

If what was in that article is true, then that is exactly what we are experiencing right now.

Of course, the left will spin this as PWC’s racist policies chasing immagrants away. I could care less if it’s working and illegals are actually leaving. Let Arlington, Alexandria, and MD reap the rewards of their asinine policital positions.

10. PWConservative said on 25 Jan 2008 at 3:18 pm:

Maybe an upcoming raid? Sayyyy in the Georgetown South area

11. Riley said on 25 Jan 2008 at 3:26 pm:

park’d, you hit the nail on the head regarding the Chief. In fact, I just wrote a whole blog post about county bureaucrats undermining the will of the people and their elected officials (in addition to general incompetence unbecoming a county of our stature.)

12. 999 said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:10 pm:

Krusty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:28 pm:

Embarg means that the story cannot be released to the public before a certain date/time. It’s done all the time in the media.

See Krusty, you learned something new again today. Ahhh the wonders of the internet. Thank you Al Gore!

13. Anonymous said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:12 pm:

Ric James said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:46 pm:
    Now, are you sure you didn’t do this just to create a buzz and draw in traffic?

(That’s brilliant! Wish I’d thought of it.)

Got you here didn’t he?

14. 999 said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:14 pm:

PWConservative said on 25 Jan 2008 at 3:18 pm:
    Maybe an upcoming raid? Sayyyy in the Georgetown South area

Might try one in Irongate and Coverstone too! They’d need at least 6 busses.

15. park'd said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:25 pm:

Don’t forget Manassas Park. Most of the town would disappear if ICE actually raided this place. There would be tumbleweeds in the street and the sound of a distant hawk in the background if illegals were removed from here. It’s no wonder the mayor and CC don’t want to crack down on them; they are most of the real estate tax base in this town! Where’s the article Greg? I need a good humorous read today after the week I’ve had.

16. Johnson said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:46 pm:

This is amusing….whooda thunk?

17. Krusty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:47 pm:

999 at 4:10 - Yes , I learned something again, but I would like to know who has the authority to embargo news. And if the news were embargoed, how did Greg L find out about it? Just call me a babe in the woods.

18. es_la_ley said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:05 pm:

“There would be tumbleweeds in the street and the sound of a distant hawk in the background”

Tha hawks could take care of the remaining chickens.

19. James Young said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:29 pm:

Riley, your post at 3:26 is as shameless a self-promotion as I’ve ever seen. ;-)

20. 999 said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:40 pm:

Johnson said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:46 pm:
    This is amusing….whooda thunk?

I remember just a short few years ago our COP said “We don’t have a gang problem in PWC.”

21. 999 said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:43 pm:

Krusty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 4:47 pm:

The originator of the news item is the authority of when it is to be released to the public. For various reasons, they want some news items held for print or broadcast until a specific date or time.

22. 999 said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:45 pm:

es_la_ley said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:05 pm:

Tha hawks could take care of the remaining chickens.

But we need the chickens to take care on the corn growing on front lawns.

23. Lafayette said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:46 pm:

999 said on 25 Jan 2008 at 5:40 pm:
    I think he’d try saying that same sh!t today.
    The last sentence was the most telling.
    Gang investigators estimate that 90 percent of the members of that gang are illegal immigrants, the study said.

24. josh said on 25 Jan 2008 at 6:18 pm:

I didnt see the story, however I cannot wait to read. If it’s that good, it’s probably worth waiting for. I for one hope massive raids were conducted and they nailed a ton of illegals…like a whole lot. A massive raid would show them the government means business. It’s not like they’ll have a hard time finding where they are at, just stop by any 7-11 in PWC and you’ll have enough for a few buses at least.

j

25. Local Yocal said on 25 Jan 2008 at 6:33 pm:

Man gets 40 years for murder

By AMANDA STEWART
    astewart@potomacnews.com
    Friday, January 25, 2008

Charles Angelos Jr.’s murder affected his family “in every way possible,” his mother told a judge in Prince William Circuit Court Thursday.

“My son C.J. was 21 years old. He had his whole life ahead of him,” Wanda Angelos said, before her voice broke with sobs. “We lost our only son; my daughter lost her best friend. Our family has suffered in every possible way.”

Marvin Alexis Rodriguez Barrea, 19, one of four men convicted in Angelos’ death, appeared in court Thursday morning for a sentencing hearing.

In October a jury convicted Rodriguez of first-degree murder and criminal gang participation.

Thursday, Hamblen sentenced him to serve 40 years of a 42-year sentence.

Prosecutors said that Rodriguez, and several other men who acted as part of the street gang Mara Salvatrucha or MS-13, chased Angelos behind a row of town houses in the Manassas area on the night of Nov. 18, 2006.

Rodriguez, who was armed with a large kitchen knife, caught up to Angelos and stabbed him in the back several times, prosecutors said.

Defense attorney Shawn Allen said that Rodriguez was “an 18-year-old scared kid” that night. He said Rodriguez armed himself, and ultimately stabbed Angelos, because he was afraid.

Rodriguez told the judge he was sorry for what he did.

“I’m really sorry about what I did and what happened,” he said, speaking through a Spanish interpreter. “I know I need to change my ways. I’m not a bad person.”

“I think you’re pretty bad,” Hamblen said. “You killed him for no reason. I think you did it because you could.”

Rodriguez is a legal immigrant and citizen of Guatemala and could be deported after he serves his prison sentence, Allen said.

Four other men have been charged in Angelos’ death.

Micheal Angel Ayala, 17, pleaded guilty in December to voluntary manslaughter and criminal gang participation. He will be sentenced on March 20.

Salvador Mauricio Elias Miranda, 29, pleaded guilty in June to a misdemeanor charge of assault and battery and was deported, prosecutors said.

Elias Isaac Quinteros Soriano, 27, pleaded guilty in July to criminal gang participation, destruction of property and grand larceny and was sentenced to serve six months of a five-year prison sentence, according to court records.

A fifth man, Santos Espinosa-Reyes, 20, was arrested in October. He is scheduled to appear in General District Court for a preliminary hearing on charges of first degree murder and criminal gang participation on Feb. 20.

26. es_la_ley said on 25 Jan 2008 at 6:41 pm:

“Wanda Angelos asked Prince William Circuit Court Judge William D. Hamblen to “punish him to the full extent of the law.””

Hang ‘im high.

27. BattleCat said on 25 Jan 2008 at 7:22 pm:

Johnson,

Now THAT’S a story. I couldn’t agree more…..whooda thunk it?

28. Good Time Charlie said on 25 Jan 2008 at 8:28 pm:

Crackdown…………………..Greg………………Unless Charlie Deane has been given his walking papers by the BOCS……….I don’t see a crackdown in our future.

29. Good Time Charlie said on 25 Jan 2008 at 8:30 pm:

Judge Bill Hamblin is presiding over this case………….justice will be served! This guy won’t see daylight again.

30. Patty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 10:23 pm:

999,

It’s not chickens anymore. They’ve upgraded to rabbits. More money per pound and they can have as many as they want because the county considers them as pets. Undocumented bunnies - I hope ol’ Bugs doesn’t come around here. He might end up on the dinner plate.

31. dolph said on 25 Jan 2008 at 10:50 pm:

Patty,

Tee hee. Go see Patty and you might run in to Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail, and Peter.

32. Patty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 10:55 pm:

dolph,

Just when I thought I’ve seen everything as far as “local” livestock, something new comes along.

33. Patty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 11:01 pm:

dolph,

I just hope our rabbit farmer is not supplying the local taquerra (sandwich?) trucks. The customers think it’s beef but I guess we know better. One never knows what they bite into when they eat a taco from them.

34. Patty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 11:07 pm:

Attention,

To all you who buy tacos and fajitas from those roving Taquerra trucks:

If you bite into one and discover a bit of fur, you got choice meat. Ask for prime next time.

If you buy the kids meal, the toy will be a rabbits foot. Of course your child can pick the color, white, grey, black or grey with white.

35. Krusty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 1:53 am:

So what’s wrong with eating rabbits? During the war, THE war, many people raised rabbits for meat. Taste pretty good too. You can order rabbit in fancy restaurants; probably has a French name to cover up what it is. My father hunted rabbits for food. My mother roasted the scrawny things and made fantastic gravy to go with it. Delicious! How about frogs’ legs?

36. dolph said on 26 Jan 2008 at 4:25 am:

Patty and Krusty,

I see a business partnership springing up here. Patty will supply the bunnies and Krusty will be the cook. Yum Yum, tastes just like chicken if you cook it right.

Patty really has the right idea by providiing that kids’ toy rabbits foot.

Pedro Conejo!

37. Patty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 9:53 am:

Krusty,

There is nothing wrong with eating rabbit. I just have a problem with someone who is raising them and butchering them and selling the meat to someone who is passing it off as beef - and the whole process is not being inspected.

dolph,

I wouldn’t have to buy any rabbits. All I have to do is set up some traps in my yard since some of the farmers around here have free range rabbits. I guess free range is healthier than pen. Of course, it all depends on how healthy the free range is and that could be debatable for this area. Oh, I would make sure I didn’t use road kill or cat kill or those picked over by vultures. ha ha he he.

38. 999 said on 26 Jan 2008 at 10:59 am:

Patty said on 25 Jan 2008 at 10:23 pm:
    999,

It’s not chickens anymore. They’ve upgraded to rabbits.
    ————————————————–
    Used to have a neighbor (WAS) around the corner a few years back that was raising rabbits IN her house. They eventually put their house up for sale and one of my other neighbors went to look at it and made a quick exit. He said you couldn’t stand the smell when you walked through the front door.

39. 999 said on 26 Jan 2008 at 11:04 am:

Krusty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 1:53 am:

Don’t forget, Krusty, they also ate horse meat.

40. Krusty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 12:41 pm:

999 - So what’s wrong with eating horsemeat? It’s very lean and smoked, thinly sliced horsemeat for sandwiches is delicious. Might as well eat the old nags rather than make glue out of’m! -

BTW, you should see the guineypigs (sp?) on the grill in Ecuador! They cook’em spread out so they look like flying squirrels. Speaking of which, isn’t squirrel a southern dish?

41. Mr. Anon said on 26 Jan 2008 at 2:13 pm:

Squirrel is delicious, rabbit is delicous, and horsemeat probably is good too. Racheal Ray could probably whip up a delicious meal with either of the meat choices in 30 minutes or less.

It would probably be hardest to raise the free range squirrels. They are a little hard to “collect” when its time for processing. One would probably need a BB gun or a slingshot to get them out of the tree.

Dolph, don’t forget that one could also make a very nice coat from this business as well.

42. Krusty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 3:44 pm:

What was the title of this thread anyway? - The culinary digression has been good fun. - Love those free range squirrels!!!

43. Mr. Anon said on 26 Jan 2008 at 4:00 pm:

The title is “too quick on the trigger”. When you think about it, that could definitely could apply to squirrels.

Wonder if Charlotte has ever eaten squirrel? Medic might have, assuming they have squirrels on the PI :)

44. Chicken Little said on 26 Jan 2008 at 4:22 pm:

Defunct spy satellite falling from orbit

45. Krusty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 5:38 pm:

Chicken Little - Hopefully it’ll fall on Super-Tuesday!

Mr. Anon - First sentence = my kinda joke.

46. Bloomie said on 26 Jan 2008 at 6:56 pm:

Get a grip park’d…I have it on from a reliable source that although assesments will be down in the park 10 % to 15 % our taxes are going to be raised $0.10. We have to make those $20million dollar improvements to
    Costello Park for the Hispanics. Then there’s Fran K’s public works building.
    God, how I wish I could escape “Hispanic Hell”! I can only hope they’ll all leave when work dries up. I have had 4 homes surrounding my house abandened and now in forclosure. A home goes down in price approx. $7K
    for every house in foreclosure.

47. 999 said on 26 Jan 2008 at 10:28 pm:

Chicken Little said on 26 Jan 2008 at 4:22 pm:
    Defunct spy satellite falling from orbit

Maybe we could get the Chinese to shoot it down using the technology we gave them???

48. 999 said on 26 Jan 2008 at 10:31 pm:

Krusty said on 26 Jan 2008 at 12:41 pm:
    999 - So what’s wrong with eating horsemeat?

I didn’t say anything was wrong with eating horsemeat. I made a statement that you left it out of the mix. People did in fact eat horsemeat during WWII.
    Sounds like you had a bad day. Sheeeez!

49. Krusty said on 27 Jan 2008 at 6:47 am:

999- Sorry, 999, I see that my sentence would easily be misunderstood. It sounds real crabby, and I’m not crabby. As a matter of fact, I had a good day yesterday. And I ate a lot of horsemeat during WWII! Forgiven?

50. Dave in PWC said on 27 Jan 2008 at 7:49 am:

In the PI you never knew what the meat was roasting on spits over a open fire, some say it was monkey some say it was dog. I did see a buddy of mine order monkey brains at a bar/restaurant and I got squeamish when the order came out. I had to move out of range of the smell.

51. Krusty said on 27 Jan 2008 at 10:37 am:

Dave in PWC - I’ve heard about PI people eating eggs with a live chick inside . Ever try it? - More gore: My daughter was served soup with goat’s eyeballs floating in it in Indonesia! Hope you have a nice brunch!

52. park'd said on 27 Jan 2008 at 11:16 am:

Dang Krusty, just how old ARE you? Bloomie I am right there with you. Sick and tired of paying for crap to support the government’s continued support of the illegal invasion of my town. 4k a year in taxes on a 275k house is really just outrageous. I don’t see how it can be legal. I am all set and ready to refute the tax bill when it arrives next month.

53. park'd said on 27 Jan 2008 at 2:05 pm:

Greg: WHERE’S THIS BREAKING NEWS STORY????

54. Dave in PWC said on 27 Jan 2008 at 7:31 pm:

Krusty,

Saw and heard about the baloots (I probably spelled that wrong), had a lamb burger on the docks of Holy Loch Scotland, the monkey brains were disgusting since we were drinking there at the “Monkey Bar” where there were about 10 monkeys in a habitat behind glass behind the bar, just drank and watched them and drank some more. The monkey seemed to know what my friend was eating as they made a lot of noise and gestures at him. My Maryland bud has what he calls hogma, it’s a pigs stomach filled with cabbage, sausage and some veggies, then you cook it up and slice it up. Tried it once, also his wife offered squirrel soup, but I’m not a big soup person….

55. Pat Herve said on 27 Jan 2008 at 9:53 pm:

if this story was really embargoed, and you were told of the story (then it was probably not embargoed ), they why didn’t you just pull the blog about it.

Naming the fact that there is a story, and blogging about pulling it, is indirectly going around a true embargo.

Sounds fishy to me (smells it too).

56. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 28 Jan 2008 at 9:34 am:

Mr. Anon said on 26 Jan 2008 at 4:00 pm:

We had squirrels on the farm. Shooting them was the hard part. We had rabbits as well as chickens. I had to gather the eggs every morning, which meant fighting with the mean rooster. He wasn’t too smart, I could fool him into the pen every time :)
    ___________________

Krusty said on 27 Jan 2008 at 10:37 am:

They are duck eggs almost ready to hatch. They are sold off of carts that are pushed through the streets. The corner BBQ “joints” were the most amusing when the fleet pulled in. We, those stationed in the PI, knew not to eat the meat off of the carts because you never knew if it was cat, dog or something else. BTW, there were not many dogs or cats roaming the streets. I remember one evening sitting in an open bar, this was the past time when the fleet came in because it was open theater to watch our fellow sailors interact with the local economy, when one of the fleet sailors came up to the cart and dragged a few sticks of “meat” off of it while he was digging into his pockets for his peso’s, he started to eat it. As the merchant was taking his money, he asked the sailor if he wanted him to cook it for him first. Drunk sailors are SOOOO entertaining!!!

Some of the fleet sailors would sit in the open bars and toss pesos i the street for the kids to chase down. A couple of us were walking down the street and saw this. We approached them and told them to stop doing it. They said they were having fun and who did we think we were telling them what to do. I told them I was stationed here and I didn’t like seing the way they were treating my neighbors. They waitress smiled at me and walked back to the owner and said something in Tagalog. I saw Shore Patrol and explained what these bozos were doing, their fun ended right there. They were escorted back to the ship. I never paid for a beer in that place again.

57. Hmmm... said on 28 Jan 2008 at 10:35 am:

Bloomie said on 26 Jan 2008 at 6:56 pm: “God, how I wish I could escape ‘Hispanic Hell’! ”

But it’s not about race, right?

58. Alexandrianagainstillegals said on 28 Jan 2008 at 12:03 pm:

when is this article coming out?

59. Dave in PWC said on 28 Jan 2008 at 6:38 pm:

Saw about 19 day workers at the Coverstone 7-11 this morning around 8am today. Some where on abandoned property some were on 7-11 property, saw a PWCPD CSI vehicle in the left turn lane to take a left onto 234 but no other officers.