Power Outage In Sudley

By Greg L | 29 January 2008 | Uncategorized | 27 Comments

It didn’t affect me, but I heard that a transformer blew and left a huge swath of Sudley Road and surrounding areas without power tonight.  It sure managed to keep the public safety people busy, as I heard sirens for hours.

Anyone have the scoop on what happened?

1. One Voice said on 29 Jan 2008 at 9:40 pm:

Conspiracy theory or facts? :)

2. AWCheney said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:00 pm:

I believe that Greg is looking for facts, One Voice. (Geesh!)

3. Doug Mataconis said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:05 pm:

Not sure if this is connected, but about 2/3 of New Bristow Village lost power around 6:15 tonight. Power came back around 7:30

4. One Voice said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:08 pm:

703-792-6500

5. Greg L said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:09 pm:

I’m hearing that an accident at the I-66 ramp at Route 234 caused this outage. More on this as I hear it…

6. One Voice said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:23 pm:

AW, I posted the non-emergency number for PWCPD. You can call them and ask, although I suspect that’s where Mr. Greg received his.

7. Doug Mataconis said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:24 pm:

Well, that would make sense given the patten of outages I heard about from those coming home from that direction.

8. One Voice said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:26 pm:

I checked Trafficland, the camera at 234/I66 is not working. FYI

9. ddpdrinker said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:29 pm:

Whatever it was it affected Warrenton also

10. Patty said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:33 pm:

We had a power surge around 6:00 - 6:30 p.m. Our lights flickered. We heard many sirens. Some friends that live near Bull Run Library reported that the power was out over there and along 234.

11. Kung Pow said on 29 Jan 2008 at 10:59 pm:

Remington,VA flickered also

12. Batson D. Belfrey said on 29 Jan 2008 at 11:13 pm:

“Anyone have the scoop on what happened?”

I heard a bunch of illegals were trying to by-pass their electric meter and ran an orange extension cord direct to the transformer. Unfortunately, they hooked to the transmission side, and not the lateral side, so they got 20,000 volts. First-responders at the scene reported that it looked like a big bowl of chips and salsa around the outlet.

Well, maybe I didn’t hear that, but it often happend in Mexico where folks tap the transmission lines. When I was in Tiajuana in the late 90’s the utility poles looked like Christmas trees with all of the taps running down. When it rained you could hear the lines popping and see them sparking. There were often brown-outs because the locals were siphoning off so much juice.

13. legal2 said on 30 Jan 2008 at 5:36 am:

The Brentsville area also had lights flickering at about 6 pm, Tuesday.

14. Loudoun said on 30 Jan 2008 at 5:57 am:

A high power tension line in Vienna came down and that was what caused the power outage - this news was on WTOP last night.

15. Lafayette said on 30 Jan 2008 at 9:27 am:

The street light have NEVER been on in Sudley, because there aren’t ANY!!

16. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 30 Jan 2008 at 9:32 am:

I know it was a pain to get through. People do not understand the concept of taking turns at a red light/stop sign or non working traffic light. I stopped to let one go and 6 of them went through. I was trying to take my turn, while being honked at from behind, when the last of the 6 almost hit me and was shaking his fist at me. I hate NOVA traffic, no one likes to share the road.

17. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 30 Jan 2008 at 9:55 am:

Can anyone from VA tell me if they teach the zipper effect in driver’s ed? Every other car goes when merging down to one lane from two. This isn’t difficult to understand and would make traffic go smoother if everyone would take every other car instead of trying to get one more ahead. This causes those behind you to want to take 2 spots. Also, what is up with trying to crowd in at the last minute when cars are queued for an exit? I will let cars in until it gets to the solid line, after that, you will not make it in. I drive an Expedition, so it does take a bit to move it out of the way. No, I am not one of those SUV drivers that thinks they own the road, I share when it is time to share, but when the solid line comes up, you do not need to try to get in my lane.

I am from SoIL where we have to drive in snow. Snow flakes seem to have a higher drag coefficient in this area. I say this because if it is snowing and the roads are dry, cars seem to go 20 MPH.

18. Anonymous said on 30 Jan 2008 at 10:31 am:

Just like illegal immigration. GOTTA JUMP THE LINE. CAN’T WAIT MY TURN. ME FIRST mentality. When I see a car behind me traveling down the shoulder 200 yards from an exit, suddenly my vehicle stradles the shoulder and the offending vehicle will have to wait for some nincompoop to let them in.

19. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 30 Jan 2008 at 10:50 am:

Anonymous said on 30 Jan 2008 at 10:31 am:

I understand, but they do not seem to see they are causing more problems for themselves.

Once the jobs are dried up, they will have to leave because they can not feed themselves.

AND BTW, some nincompoop WILL let them in which destroys the consequences for your actions theory. As I said, once the line is solid, you should have got in place back there somewhere.

20. BattleCat said on 30 Jan 2008 at 1:11 pm:

Medic 64,

You bring up some of the most interesting parts of driving in this area. I suspect it’s universal that folks have no idea what to do at a traffic light when it’s out. I had to go through 5 last night on my way home during the outage, and I thought I’d never get through Balls Ford and Wellington alive.

Two lanes into one. For the most part, I use the zipper rule, because it makes sense. I do have some limits, though. When one lane ends, people get into the lane that ends on purpose to get ahead. I can’t stand those people. I only see two options, either everyone splits the lanes equally (and not create one long line and one empty lane that gets taken advantage of), or punish those who take advantage of the “empty lane”. I don’t get aggressive behind the wheel (it seems like a waste of my energy), but I do get fascinated by “traffic theory”.

21. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 30 Jan 2008 at 1:44 pm:

Battle Cat,

I was speaking about the outage light situation last night in my post. I have to come through the Battlefield on my way home. It was a nightmare. I am in hopes that people will eventually learn. I am like you, I do not get aggressive since it is a waste of time and energy. Besides, it doesn’t do your blood pressure any good. I HATE stupidity behind the wheel. If the road is clear, visibility is good and no cars in front of you, it is OK to drive the speed limit. My favorites are those in the far right lane coming across 3 lanes to get into the left turn lane AT THE LAST MINUTE!!! I can not count the number of accidents I have ALMOST been in because of that.

My first winter out here I heard the radio announcer tell people not to abandon their cars. I looked at my new co-worker and asked if I heard him correctly. He said yes. I should have known right then, VA IS CRAZY!!!!

I have also noticed that the old Wilson bridge must have trolls that lived underneath it because the cars would come to an almost dead stop going across the grate part of the bridge. The only thing I can possibly think of is the trolls would stick their fingers through the grate and drag them on the bottoms of the cars causing them to slow down.

22. Advocator said on 30 Jan 2008 at 2:45 pm:

Doc:

I think one of my ex wives lived under that bridge.

23. MP Resident said on 30 Jan 2008 at 5:58 pm:

“Can anyone from VA tell me if they teach the zipper effect in driver’s ed?”

Driver’s ed in Virginia is almost universally taught by PE teachers.

Draw your own conclusions.

24. Joe Curmudgeon said on 30 Jan 2008 at 6:43 pm:

Medic, by admitting you’re from Illinois (FIB!) you lose all credibility when it comes to holding forth on good driving technique ;)

Anyway, back to the power outage…I heard a bunch of illegals were tinkling behind the 7/11 and shorted something out.

25. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:29 am:

Joe Curmudgeon said on 30 Jan 2008 at 6:43 pm:

I said Southern IL, not the state of Chicago :)

It is funny how one of the politicians in IL called those that lived south of I-70 rednecks. She thought she didn’t need them since she was carrying the state of Chicago. She wasn’t elected.

I was taught by the football coach. I had been driving on the farm since 13 so I could steer pretty straight by the time it came up to do so. There were 3 of us in the car, my neighbor and I just rode around while the third, who had NO experience driving, drove us around. There were a few experiences where I thought we were done. Since my neighbor and I drove pick-ups on the farm, the driver’s ed teacher quickly realized that we were pretty good for our age and decided to work with the one that couldn’t drive so well.
    —–

I bet they went on that transformer behind it.

26. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:31 am:

Advocator,

LOL If she does, could you have her talk to the trolls. I know how ex wives can be and I believe mine lives under there with the other trolls.

27. anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 3:54 pm:

It was a Dominion Power joke to show us life without their stinky power line.