video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Senate Kills Colgan’s E-Verify Proposal

By Greg L | 31 January 2008 | Illegal Aliens, Virginia Politics | 74 Comments

The Senate Courts of Justice Committee killed Senator Colgan’s SB 90 which would have required that Virginia employers use the federal E-Verify system today on a 13-2 vote. This one wasn’t even close, with all Republicans other than Obenshain and Cuccinelli voting to “pass by indefinitely”, or “kill” this important legislative reform. If anyone has been under the illusion that Senate Republicans as a group are interested in legislative reform on the illegal alien issue, this vote should put that fallacy to rest. When the business lobby speaks, Republicans are just as willing to throw the interests of Virginia’s electorate under the bus as when the illegal alien lobby pressures Democrats to do so.

Here’s the vote:

YEAS–Marsh (D), Saslaw (D), Stolle (R), Quayle (R), Norment (R), Howell (D), Lucas (D), Edwards (D), Reynolds (D), Puller (D), McDougle (R), Deeds (D), Hurt (R)–13.

NAYS–Cuccinelli (R), Obenshain (R)–2.

Of interest is that Senator Colgan’s staff promised that they would let me know what was happening with this bill, and they never bothered to contact me about when this bill was scheduled. All of the advance notification about this bill I got was from Senator Cuccinelli’s office, which was clearly more dedicated to seeing this bill passed than the actual bill’s sponsor. I am convinced that this bill was offered by Senator Colgan in order for him to placate angry constituents by sponsoring a bill that he never intended to promote in any way and hoped would die. Nice way to try to pull the wool over constituent’s eyes, and introduce a bill you never intended to lend any support to.  Maybe I’m wrong in my impressions here, but this sure looks like that’s what happened.

What is more outrageous is that Republicans who made this issue part of the platform for their re-election campaigns decided to cast votes against it when it came to committee. After hearing rhetoric from past chief-obstructionist Ken Stolle about how he had finally come to understand the concerns of his constituents on this problem, for him to about-face along with Norment and Quayle and help ensure that Virginia employers can continue to hire illegal aliens without penalty is absolutely enraging. Virginians, we have been lied to. The campaign promises your elected officials have made in order to get elected have been cast away, and you have been robbed of the representation that you believe you voted for.

I am disgusted. You should be as well. These elected officials need to hear your outrage if we are ever to make progress on this issue:

Marsh
Saslaw
Stolle
Quayle
Norment
Howell
Lucas
Edwards
Reynolds
Puller
McDougle
Deeds
Hurt

Don’t forget to thank these two Senators for standing up to the businesses that want to continue to employ illegal aliens at the expense of American workers:

Cuccinelli
Obenshain

We have one more shot at these legislative reforms when bills passed by the House of Delegates move over to the Senate.  If you don’t let our elected officials know about how you feel before these come up, the same thing is going to happen next time when House bills get considered in the Senate.  This is not a time to stay on the sidelines.

The Senate is working hard to make “Virginia is for illegal aliens.”  It’s up to you to stop that.  Now.

1. Maureen Wood said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:26 am:

Unfortunately I’m not surprised “politicians” lied to their constituents. They tell us what we want to hear, then do what THEY want. These people have no scruples! How they can look anyone of us in the eye and say they did the right thing is beyond me! At least some of them ran on the premise that they would do nothing to curb the illegal alien problem in Virginia. The ones that said they would, you have NO shame and need to explain to your constituents why you voted the way you did.
    AHHH! The almighty dollar!

2. Rt1Resident said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:59 am:

Man, this sucks and the fact that so many shot it down really makes me pissed off. Did any of them give a good reason as to why this shouldn’t have passed? What an f’n corrupt system this is when these a-holes can run for office based on an issue and then once they get it they do nothing about it. I’ve lived in PWC for over 20 years but now I’m sick of it, I’m sick of the 20 guys at every 7-11, I’m sick of living next to houses where there is 5 cars in the driveway and 2 in the front yard, I’m sick of not being able to order fast food in ENGLIGH, I’m sick of being afraid of my wife walking the dog down the street, I’m sick of northern VA.

3. junes_reston said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:11 am:

It’s a scary thought when 15 people decide the illegal alien sanctuary status of a state with a population of nearly 8 million people.

The business lobbyists had everything to lose and nothing to gain if this bill ever made it to the floor for a vote. Survival is a powerful motivator - the lobbyists HAD to ensure the loop hole remained open - the loop hole businesses drive their company vans through to avoid complying with VA’s employment hiring laws.

We may have to step up to the plate and acknowledge our survival motivator wasn’t quite as powerful as the business lobbyists.

I would like to suggest each of us make it a point to publish the votes on every blog, comments sections, anti-illegal aliens websites in the DC Metro Area, and then fan out across the country.

We must presume those who voted to make VA an illegal alien sanctuary for businesses are proud of their votes and would want the state, region and country to know.

4. park'd said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:12 am:

Amnesty is coming folks. We are the minority on this issue. Get used to it.

5. Herndon Bob said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:23 am:

Maureen

Unfortunately, the growing trend of denial by our state elected officials continues. Bills continue to be introduced by legislators, which might help address the problem, knowing full well they will never be passed. They tell us they are trying to address the problem. Shame on us for believing it. Neither party sees any advantage is actually acting since the illegal immigration issue cannot gain any traction with voters.

It usually comes down to which party can claim credit for solving a problem. The needs of the party will trump the needs of the people every time. They refuse to listen to the people at their own peril. The longer the state politicians ignore the problem, the worse it will get. With the economy declining, it should not take much longer. Maybe they will listen our local officials, who by are meeting in Culpepper today.

Keep the Faith

6. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:24 am:

I doubt any of the members of this committee ran on an anti-illegal alien platform. This should not be a surpise to anyone, once the Democrats were given control in the Senate.

A few weeks ago a lot of you wanted to make some of us eat crow, because Colgan introduced this bill. This bill will be the last piece of legislation on immigration that he introduces.

It was all a charade. Colgan introduce this bill so he could appear to be fulfilling a campaign promise, knowing full well that his cronies would defeat it for him.

Virginia is for Lovers (of illegal aliens).

7. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:29 am:

With the bleak economy, business interests are going to outweigh any outcry from the public. No politician worth his salt is going to do anything right now to anger businesses.

I don’t agree with park’d about amnesty. But I think we are going to have a do nothing legislature for this term.

8. ManexicoResident said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:33 am:

I haven’t posted in a while…and each time I read this site and read what’s going on, I feel more and more helpless.

We were lied to.

We will continue to be lied to.

We are not “big business”, we are not lining pockets, we are simply lemmings to a policy of inaction that will continue to make fat cats fatter.

We should all just go ahead, get smart and learn to speak Spanish fluently. Its becoming quite clear to me that my vote doesn’t count, my values aren’t considered and my way of life just isn’t the way any longer. Besides…I’ve always kinda wanted a pet chicken.

9. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:41 am:

Call each of these members and BLAST them today. They did something wrong, and they need to be called on it. The only way the national bill on immigration reform was killed was due to a lot of ANGRY citizens letting their feelings known.

10. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:49 am:

This is from an AP story this morning about the debate last night in California:

“McCain tried to deflect questions on illegal immigration, a sore point with many Republicans who resented his push for a Senate bill, ultimately unsuccessful, that would have granted a path to legal status for millions of undocumented immigrants now in the country.

Asked if he would vote for his bill now, McCain replied, “it won’t” come to a vote “because people want the borders secured first.” He said he supports new efforts to prevent illegal crossings.

California is one of several states voting on Tuesday that has a large immigrant population.”

Those republicans out there thinking of voting for McCain should truly consider what happened in Virginia yesterday. We saw how politicians play games and work the system. Do you reallywant to vote for a man that tried to shove amnesty down our throats just months ago? Look at what he says in the quote above. He totally skated around the issue of amnesty. Securing the border does nothing to the 21+ million who are already here. This man will push for and get an amnesty program if you elect him president.

11. Pat Herve said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:02 am:

You are acting like the illegal immigration problem started a few weeks ago, and now you want to blame the democrats.

Where was the Bill from Cuccinelli, Obenshain in 07, 06, etc while the republicans controled the Senate?
    Who is the Delegate in the Republican controlled Legistrature who introduced a bill in 07,06…01?

I must have missed the Legislation from Sean Cannaughton over the past few years, and Corry Stewart - I did not see any from them.

Yes, you can say that Stirrup did introduce some legistlation on the county level - he wants to prevent illegals from using the library, going to school and fire ANY country employee who provides services to an illegal alien, I assume this would also include police, fire and medical care (Greg will say that Stirrup never proposed that, but he did, and has said it repeatedly - deny ALL services).

Colgan introduced the Bill - it was killed by others - I stand by him and his word.

Our government leaders do not want to prevent illegal’s from coming here and working - it is an economic stimulant - and the economy up till this point was doing fine on the backs of the illegals - all of you with lawn care, you are hiring an illegal - all of you with cleaning ladies - illegal - but just like Romney, you do not admit to it, until you are caught with a Photo.

This is not a Democrat nor a Republican issue like some of you want to make it - or do you want to make it into a Religous thing.

“WE” are the ones hiring the illegals. “WE” are the ones who have to stop it - but you must realize that “WE” are in the minority, because, they still keep coming, and they are still being paid.

What we need to know is how does an employer get enough cash that he can pay his workers in cash - or if he is paying by check, why does he get away with that (no payroll taxes)?

12. Old Soldier said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:21 am:

As an observer who sympathizes with you on this issue but occasionally disagrees with you on strategy, I would like to make the following observation.

The focus of the posts on this blog appear to be about a community problem (property values, tags, personal security, 7/11 crowds threatening customers, etc.). The State Senate didn’t pass this legislation because most of their constituents don’t have a problem, and Business interests (these folks are also constituents) indicated that their businesses would be negatively impacted (not a good thing in a recession). Don’t complain about it, learn from it. Scope is the operative phrase. While you can focus on your energies on the larger problem, it is so large and amorphous that you will have little impact. I would suggest scoping down and defining a problem that you can really fix.

Since the focal point for this problem appears to be Manassas, I would suggest that the answer is Manassas & Manassas Park City Government (there’s an election coming up… are any of you running for a City Council seat?) and local Enforcement (yes, zoning, police, and every other lever you can pull). I would drop the emphasis on business interests because the business interests that influence Richmond are quite frankly a different category from the folks who show up in pick-ups at Manassas 7/11’s to hire illegals (and not really, IMHO, the people who contribute to the problems that I read about on this blog). You don’t have the resources to fight the big business lobby, so don’t. Send those cards and letters to the person you would like to be the next Mayor of Manassas (or, better yet, run for that office.)

If I were Greg and had the Infrastructure and impassioned constituency and infrastructure that he enjoys at the moment (and this blog), I would certainly throw my hat in the ring as an independent and straighten things out (hoping to win but changing the dialog and debate in any case).

I saw a revolution mentioned in another thread. Why not make it a political revolution and take over via the next City election.

13. Billyboy said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:30 am:

Greg and others,

I learned this morning Bob McDonnell, Attorney General (which Greg strongly supports) said the bill would be in conflict with Federal Law and that is why it was killed. Get the facts before you go railing against someone. Two “R”’s voted Nea but Five voted Yea along with Eight Dems.

14. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:42 am:

Billyboy please explain the conflict? If you have some specific information I would love to hear it. It appears to me that this bill would have simply required that the state require employees to verify the status of their employers. Does our Federal immigration law prohibit this?

No doubt there were some Republicans that voted the wrong way, but: 1) all Democrats voted against it, and 2) There would not even be a Democratic majority on this committee if we hadn’t voted the Democrats into a majority position.

Pat Herve, I am sick and tired of hearing citizens getting slammed for this problem. The federal government has allowed this problem to exist, encourages it by inaction, and fights to maintain the status quo. Look at how hard it was to kill the Federal immigration reform bill this past year.

There is no economic stimulus from illegal aliens; if there were we wouldn’t have the problems we are experiencing now. Consumers pay the same prices, but businesses make more profits by saving on labor. You are making an old argument that never gets any traction.

15. Billyboy said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:47 am:

Mr. Anon,

I understand Senator Colgan is going to release a statement to the press by the weekend. Let’s let him give the details. I don’t want to mis-speak.

16. dolph said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:58 am:

How totally predictable: The bill doesn’t pass so Colgan gets the BLAME that his own bill doesn’t pass. Only amongst the bvbl crowd.

How many of you critics have thanked Senator Colgan for introducing the billl? How many of you think that it would have passed if only Senator Colgan’s office had called Greg?

Billy Boy, thanks for the updates.

17. Lafayette said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:00 am:

Mr. Anon,
    I had the conflict question myself. I can’t wait to see the details.
    Billyboy,
    Thank you for the information. I hope there’s a GOOD explanation. I respect your not wanting to mis-speak, and therefore will hold my questions. I thought this might bring you out of the woodwork. Hope all is well with you.

18. Lafayette said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:02 am:

dolph,
    I called Chuck at home and thanked him. I think even Patty called and wrote, as did Loudoun. Did you thank him? I missed your post as typing last one.

19. ManexicoResident said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:10 am:

The United States of Amerixico…bring us your…uh…what the hell, just bring everyone! Houses here can easily shelter three families. Jobs are a’plenty! No documents, no worries!

On the backs of illegal immigrants is where we find Economic stimuli?

Riiiiiight. Mexico’s economic stimuli can be found proliferating on the backs of illegal immigrants who self-lessly send thier earnings “home”.

I give up…our government has failed time and time again. Our government shows no sign of changing. Our government shows no will to stand up. Our government is the ostrich with its head in the sand and its hands on the wallet.

When will public schools FINALLY have “Spanish as a second language” mandatory? Seriously, English is overrated and under used in my neck of the woods anyway.

20. Big Dog said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:11 am:

Interesting article in today’s WaPo (B1)
    “On Va. House Panel, a Stampede Against Illegal Immigration”

“Or maybe the legislative frenzy won’t amount to
    much. ‘Some of these are just show bills,’ Cuccinelli
    says. ‘ Some certainly have constitutional problems.
    At the end of the session, the result won’t match up
    to the public’s expectation.’”

Candid Cooch.

“My bill says that even if you have the 12 apostles
    in the house, if they’re not related, you’re going
    to be fined”
    Bob Marshall

Hummm.

21. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:24 am:

Dolph, your willingness to defend Colgan is also quite predictable. Let’s take a look at some of your posts back on January 4th:

Dolph said on 4 Jan 2008 at 2:45 pm:
    awc,

You beat me to the crow punch. Several people should be dining on a fine dinner of crow around these parts.

~~splash~~

Dolph said on 4 Jan 2008 at 5:30 pm:
    Lafayette said ‘He really did take a lot of heat around here before election time…’

This is very much an understatement. He was talked about like he was a dog as were the people who supported him. Billyboy and I are probably still limping a bit from the assault because we spoke out in favor of Senator Colgan.

I would say not only is thank you in order, but perhaps an apology to the fine Senator………

And no, Lafayette was NOT one of the dog talkers!

Dolph said on 5 Jan 2008 at 3:00 pm:
    Bl,

What ARE you smoking? That’s a lot of fear there……

—————————————–

One Voice,

That seemed awfully generous of you in light of all that has gone down.

———————————————-

In general, if anyone can do what is right for Virgnia regarding illegal aliens, it is Senator Colgan. He is one of the most influential legislators in the state.”

Seems to me that the Dolph household should be enjoying some crow tonight! Either Senator Colgan is not “one of the most influental legislators in the state” or he sponsored this bill knowing that it would not pass committee.

22. Billyboy said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:24 am:

Lafayette,

My eye’s are still all jacked up, but I have been watching this one to see what happens. I made a promise to Patty so I am following up. I will get having a procedure on my eye soon, they give a 50/50 prognosis. Hang in there Patty, this is almost as bad as watching Dan Snyder screw up the Redskins.

23. BattleCat said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:33 am:

Pat Herve,

You forgot one…WE are the ones who will vote these Jokers back into office.

24. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:35 am:

Billyboy, fair enough. On the surface, it’s hard to believe that a veteran politician like Colgan would sponsor a bill that had conflicts with Federal law.

Good luck with your procedure.

25. Alexandrianagainstillegals said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:36 am:

Why was it voted on by 15 People when it was in a subcommittee of 4 people and Greg told us to contact those 4 people.

Can someone explain that part to me please?

26. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:41 am:

Don’t tell me the feds are involved? Not the feds!!! You mean this is a federal issue??? :)

27. Herndon Bob said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:46 am:

Alexandrianagainstillegals

A very valid question. Here is the History on the bill:

12/26/07 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/08 081092212
    12/26/07 Senate: Referred to Committee on Commerce and Labor
    01/21/08 Senate: Rereferred from Commerce and Labor (15-Y 0-N)
    01/21/08 Senate: Rereferred to Courts of Justice
    01/28/08 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Special on Immigration
    01/30/08 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Courts of Justice (13-Y 2-N)

The four senators we sent mail to are on the Court of Justice Sub Committee “Special on immigration” which received the bill on 1/28/08. The full committee killed the bill on 01/30/08 without action by the “Special on Immigration” Sub-committee.

Strange

28. Advocator said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:47 am:

Why does it take the old man two days to cook up a press release?

29. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:58 am:

Mr. Anon

I always try to be generous. I think it’s good manners and expected. Thank you for noticing.

30. Johnson said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:04 am:

One and all-
    Watch, listen and vote. Illegal aliens will be my issue and I will vote accordingly on every level. If there are no anti-illegal candidates, I will vote against the most pro-illegal candidate. I will make that very clear to them.

31. Anonymous said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:08 am:

The HELP SAVE groups should get together and send Mr. SASLAW a plaque with mounted truck nutz. The inscription should read something on the order of “FOR THE THING THAT IS MISSING IN YOUR LIFE.” It is hard to understand how an elected official can go on the record and state that every illegal immigration bill will be “DEAD ON ARRIVAL.” He sure has lived up to his word on this issue!

32. Advocator said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:10 am:

Johnson:

I think the time for listening, talking, and voting on this issue is rapidly coming to an end, if you get my drift.

33. MdMan said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:14 am:

True Americans have only one hope left of restoring our nation -Mit Romney. He is the only one of the 4 viable candidates left that “sounds like” he will do the right thing. If any of the other three are elected President - it’s over, and all of our hard work and efforts will be whisked away and a new America will be officially born sans the faculties that made her predecessor great.

Patriots made tremendous progress toward reversing illegal immigration in 2007 across the nation. The struggle has been far harder than common sense would dictate. No matter how depressing the losses are, we need to continue the fight in 2008 through to the election, and then pray.

If we don’t get our guy, then I hate to say this, but seccession will be in order. Judeaou-Christian conservative Americans will need to re-group in the heartland, as the majority of the coastal and southern border states will be solidified liberal bastions. A second American revolution will be in order. What choice will we have?

34. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:17 am:

OV, you’ve got me staring at the computer screen with a confused look on my face. Please explain the comment. I am sure you are generous, but when did I mention that?

35. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:23 am:

“I am convinced that this bill was offered by Senator Colgan in order for him to placate angry constituents by sponsoring a bill that he never intended to promote in any way and hoped would die. Nice way to try to pull the wool over constituent’s eyes, and introduce a bill you never intended to lend any support to. Maybe I’m wrong in my impressions here, but this sure looks like that’s what happened.”
    ___

# /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Jan 2008 at 3:44 pm:

Lafayette,

As long as it gets out of committee, we will be better off. I am afraid this may be nothing more than a flash in the pan. Something he can sign off on as putting forth the facade that he did try, but the committee killed it. I will not get too excited until he starts fighting for it in the open.
    ___________

/\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Jan 2008 at 4:21 pm:

Why is everyone ready to thank him? All he has done is introduce a bill, he has not fought for it yet. Let’s wait and see how this plays out before we get to jumping up and down with our hands waving in the air. While this is a positive step in the right direction, I am not impressed until I see him fight for it.
    ___________

# /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k post award) said on 4 Jan 2008 at 4:50 pm:

Lafayette,

I understand and appreciate the fact he did introduce the bill, but until he fights for it, I will have a wait and see attitude. Talk is cheap, I want to see him work it through the process. (c:
    ___________

# Patty said on 4 Jan 2008 at 5:52 pm:

I’m not going to go over old stuff other than to say that I was at Colgan’s debate with Fitzsimmonds and he did sound like an illegal alien apologist (”gentlemen at 7-11 are here legally”). I’ve been willing to give him a fair chance. I went to two meetings that Colgan was to appear but he didn’t show for either of them. He was to be at the town hall meeting at the McCoart building but didn’t show up. I’ll be honest. I was disappointed especially since Senator P. showed up.

I’m still willing to give him a fair chance. I’m glad he introduced the bill. I will call him up to thank him. I would also like to see him fight for it as the others have said. I would hate to see this die in committee. Wouldn’t you?
    ___________

As I have posted, many were ready to get all excited about this. I have seen it too many times and it seems to be true yet again!!

I am afraid was nothing more than a flash in the pan. Something he could sign off on as putting forth the facade that he did try, but the committee killed it. Pointing fingers at others. How hard did he try. Since his office didn’t give Greg any advanced notice, that should have been the tell tale sign. Yet another politician saying what we want to hear and not doing the right thing for those of us who believed in them and voted for them.

36. Johnson said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:35 am:

Advocator-
    Read you 5 by 5.

37. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:35 am:

park’d said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:12 am:

I agree 100%!!!
    ________

Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:24 am:

That is exactly what I said, nothing more than a flash in the pan so the voters could go ohhhhh ahhhhhh.
    _________

dolph said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:58 am:

What did he do to make sure it would pass? Obviously he didn’t call in any favors or do any negotiating to make sure it made it out of committee. As I said, a flash in the pan for voters to ohh and ahh over.
    _________

One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:41 am:
    They want us to believe it is :)

38. Anonymous said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:37 am:

Pat Herve said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:02 am:

I had voted for Colgan for the past 26 years with the exception of this past election. Colgan has no desire to clear Virginia of illegal aliens. Big business has bought both State and Federal Government and unless the citizens of Virginia and the country remove these charlatans who pander to big business and illegal aliens the situation wil worsen. RECALL SASLAW!

39. Anonymous said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:42 am:

dolph said on 31 Jan 2008 at 8:58 am:
    How totally predictable: The bill doesn’t pass so Colgan gets the BLAME

Colgan knew the bill would never pass. SMOKE AND MIRRORS!

40. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:49 am:

Medic, we can talk about Colgan until sunset. None of his supporters are going to admit he bamboozled us here. Admitting that would mean that they were wrong. The egos of the posters on this site are too large to admit to that.

The bottom line: this is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be failures and successes. Politicians will work with us, and against us. We need to make phone calls, send emails, and bug these folks until they see the light. I hope Mr. Cuccinelli will devote himself to writing and garnering support for legislation that will pass muster, rather than simply commenting on other bills. NO ONE gets a free pass.

I don’t agree with everything MDMan wrote, but I will agree that this presidential election has become criticial. Politicians change their words, not their beliefs. Don’t get “Colganed” by John McCain. Romney is the best choice for anyone who truly feels this is the most important issue/crisis facing our country.

41. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:58 am:

Anonymous said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:42 am:

EXACTLY!!!!
    __________________

Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 10:49 am:

You are correct. I think it is his fault for not fighting for it to get out of committee. Only 2 people didn’t want it to die? Looks to me like he didn’t “work the aisle” very well. We need a President that isn’t going to give away the farm to everyone that chooses not to work and expect the Gov’t to take care of them. Get off your a$$ and look for work and benefits. As long as we allow this nanny state to continue we will continue our downward spiral. I hope the NAU doesn’t take off, but I am sure it will more and more each day as the apologists let this type of thing happen. Pretty soon it will be, in Spanish, please press 2 for English.
    __________________

42. MdMan said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:01 am:

Medic - what would you be prepared to do if it comes to this?

43. dolph said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:01 am:

Mr. Anon,

Thanks for noticing. (sarcasm button on) It is indeed reassuring to see that you went to all the trouble of quoting me.

I stand by what I said. Senator Colgan did what he said he was going to do, after being talked about like a dog here.

Would you like that crow baked or fried? If you weren’t going under a sub-moniker, I would send you a picnic basket for supper tonight.

44. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:08 am:

It really was not trouble at all. You were breaking your arm trying to pat yourself on the back on 4 Jan. There were more quotes that I could have used, but space does not permit.

45. Loudoun said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:13 am:

Johnson and Advocator… I am ready when you are.

46. Mr. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:35 am:

Dolph, “standing by what you said” sure sounds a lot better than admitting you were wrong. As said earlier, your ego does not permit this.

What was Colgan’s promise? To use his clout to introduce a bill that would not make it out of committee? I guess then that’s a mission accomplished.

If your politics are anything like your cooking, then I’ll pass on the picnic basket. The crow in question was probably found in the middle of the road, where you seem to spend most of your time.

47. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:38 am:

An email I sent to those approving SB 90:

Mr. Cuccinelli,

I want to commend you for your BRAVE action to keep SB 90 alive. It truly shows your patriotism and where your heart and mind are. I will be sending all members of that committee emails and letting those who did the right thing, like you, know how I feel. I am sorry to say, their emails will not be as kind to them as yours is.

I can not fathom why Saslaw would come out and say no legislation for immigration reform would pass this year. It seems that everything coming through his committee will not make it. I find it troubling that a “truck nutz” and cat bill have even made it to the light of day, yet something that impacts more constituents can’t make it out of committee.

Thank you again for doing the right thing. I will remember this come voting time!!!
    _________________

An email I sent to those opposing SB 90:

Mr. Quayle,

I am writing to you so you know how I feel about your recent vote on SB 90. This was an important piece of legislation to help LAW abiding businesses compete with those that do things under the table. I am not sure if you have a business or not, but it is hard to bid on something and win when you follow the law and the rules. Those who use ILLEGAL aliens as their labor have lower overhead which allows them to have an unfair advantage in the bidding process. By voting to kill this bill, you have basically rewarded the businesses that are not following the rules and penalized those of us who do.

I honestly hope you do not have a business that can suffer because of your vote to kill SB 90 and the requirement of the use of E-Verify.

This vote outcome will be on my mind when I get to the polls. Even if I am not in your district, you may desire to run for a higher office in the future and will need my vote then. I can assure you, it will not be there.

48. Johnson said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:43 am:

Anon-
    I guess Romney is it. I’m not wild about his history of providing sanctuary to illegal aliens, but he needs to start making some decisions about who he prefers to have support from; anti-illegals or apologists, including hispanics. Since hispanics are supporting McCain, Romney is it. I wouldn’t vote for any Clinton at gunpoint, and Obama is too close to the Muslims for me.

49. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:56 am:

MdMan said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:01 am:

I have family in the heartland, I would go back and get the farm back into shape to support ourselves. I am in fear that the only way to take back the country is the way we did it the first time. I was enlisted in the Navy and I am willing, as I was then, to die for my country.

50. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:57 am:

Johnson said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:43 am:

I agree with you.

51. dolph said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:57 am:

Mr. Anon,

I have nothing to pat myself on the back over. I have always voted for Senator Colgan even though there are several issues I seriously disagree with him over. I am curious to know how you felt I was personally boastful.

My cooking is pretty bad. I was going to do carry out. Nah, I wouldn’t send you carrion, even from the middle of the road. The middle of the road is not a real bad place to be unless a truck is bearing down on you. I have often called it balance. And there are a few areas I am definitely not in the middle over, but I doubt if you would agree with me…on the issues.

52. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 12:50 pm:

Advocator - it will take Sen Colgan two days because he is even older than you!!

Mr. Anon. - see your post at 9:24

Medic64 - I don’t think someone can make us think it’s federal unless it really it. Besides, when is the last time you recall the feds not taking over locals when it suits them or when they find it necessary. How come they are not here now???!!!!! Just some food for thought. :)

53. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 12:52 pm:

Does anyone know what this conflict with the federal law is all about?

54. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 1:09 pm:

One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 12:50 pm:

Exactly!! They will take over when it suits them. It will probably take an uprising to bring these legislators to their senses.

55. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 1:27 pm:

So the reasons that they are not taking over now is that they know that it will not suit or is not wanted. So, we have to stay on them. HOWEVER, I do have great pause about spending our local dollars on this until we have better (how about ANY) buy in from the feds; until that happens we are just throwing our money into the wind.

56. Pat Herve said on 31 Jan 2008 at 3:53 pm:

Go ahead, Blame it all on Chuck Colgan, a man I resepect.

What bill was sponsored by any Republican Senator or Delegate in 2007 to combat the illegal immigrant problem?

What bill did Kaine reject that was to solve the illegal immigrant problem in 2007?

Boy, most of us are Very Short Sighted that we cannot even remember what went on last year, never mind in 06, 05,….

What Ideas did Sean Connaughton come up with to help us in Prince William County?

oh, but it is all the democrats fault - where is our Border Fence? Did W build a Texas Border Fence while he was Governer of Texas, Hell No, he was having lunch with Fox.

The problem lies with US - WE hire them - get with the program, and do not hire them -

57. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:02 pm:

OV,

It will not suit them. They need these poor people so they can justify the nanny state the Gov’t is in right now. If they give citizenship to all ILLEGAL aliens, they just increased the need for the nanny state we are in now. Not only that, it will be their voter base.

58. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:07 pm:

Pat Herve said on 31 Jan 2008 at 3:53 pm:

This is the problem with your process. Yes, he did propose a bill. Yes, it did make it to committee. No, it did not make it out of committee. See this is the problem, he has introduced the legislation, but didn’t follow it through the process. His hands are clean now. He fulfilled his promise and it was killed in committee. Bad form!!! He should have held its hand all the way through the process!!! He didn’t, he let his babies hand go and it got ran over in committee. He can safely say that the committee killed his baby since they did, but if he had been responsible for it in the first place by seeing it through and pushing it through, then it would have lived longer. Shame on Colgan for not calling in some of those favor chips that I am sure he has stacked up to make sure this piece made it all the way through the process!!!!

59. Patty said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:27 pm:

Billyboy,

I’ll be patient. I’ll wait to hear what Senator Colgan says. I’m interested to see how this bill is different from the ones that other states have passed successfully. I wonder how it conflicts with Federal law?

You’re right about Dan Snyder. All sanity left when Coach Joe Gibbs left.

I hope your eyes will get better soon. I’ll say a prayer for you.

60. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:58 pm:

Medic - I just don’t want to spend any of my money on programs that the feds ultimately control if we don’t have their buy in. Does not sound like a good investment to me.

61. 999 said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:01 pm:

Johnson said on 31 Jan 2008 at 11:43 am:
    Anon-

What is his history of providing sancutuary to illegals. I’m under the impression that he signed into law 287g and his Dumbocrat replacement nullified it when he took over the governorship. The Mayor of Boston (Tom Meneno) runs a sanctuary city.

62. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:09 pm:

Romney signed 287g into law about one month before he left office - knowing fully it would be retracted by his successor.

It was a political move for his presidential run. I believe 287g was brought up much earlier in his governorship but he didnt act on it.

63. silverfox said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:13 pm:

“Does anyone know what this conflict with the federal law is all about?”

What is the VA General Assembly? A legislative body of dummies? I think not.
    Maybe a freshman who does not have a legislative mentor but a seasoned, ranking member? I doubt it. Writing legislation for the sake of writing it and writing good legislation is a big difference. Surely the good senator knows how, after making his career in politics, to write legislation that will pass through. And why do we believe promising politicians to actually deliver on what it is they say they will do? They are political addicts. They need the fix of power through our votes. Trusting a liar to represent the truth and fight for real honest change is foolish thinking.

64. Billyboy said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:33 pm:

Please don’t hold me to the details but from what I understand the conflict is that the E-Verify and verification system offered by the Social Security Administration have certain Federal Restriction which users agree to when using them. (E-Verify is provided by Homeland Security.) The bill would have conflicted with these restrictions thereby conflicting with Federal Law. I think Senator Colgan knew other states passed similar
    laws and didn’t see the conflict, nor did State Staffers.Legislators craft legislation, they also have professional state staffers craft legislation.

By the way if you have never been to Richmond when they are in session it is a hustle, bustle place that’s why he is waiting for the Weekend to right the press release. It has nothing to do with age. Those are ignorant statements by ignorant people.

65. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:05 pm:

One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:58 pm:

No it wouldn’t seem so, however, if the fed isn’t willing to step up to the plate, then we need to take action as long as it doesn’t step on their toes. The fed has seen the trend here. They sit back, do nothing and the states will get tired of the situation and do their own thing and the national politicians do not have to get their hands dirty. It is pretty simple when you look at it in that view.

66. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:05 pm:

Billyboy said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:33 pm:

I think their sarcastic button was on when they said something about his age. :)

67. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:47 pm:

I think the problem is that our hands are tied.

68. Vigilant1 said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:43 pm:

E-Verify

E-Verify is an Internet-based system operated by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify is currently free to employers and is available in all 50 states. E-Verify provides an automated link to federal databases to help employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.

Here is a link to e-verify

Perhaps Colgan’s bill was thrown out because he tried to make e-verify MANDADORY in the state of Virginia when it is a voluntary system for all employers.

69. Vigilant1 said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:54 pm:

Maybe I am missing someting. The Q&As below are from the e-verify site. How does e-verify prevent an illegal alien from being hired? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Q : Can I verify the immigration status of a new hire that is not a U.S. citizen?

No. E-Verify verifies a new hire’s employment eligibility, not his or her immigration status.

Q : What information is required to conduct an E-Verify initial verification?

After hiring a new employee and completing the Employment Eligibility Verification form (Form I-9), required for all new hires (regardless of E-Verify participation), the employer or agent must submit a query that includes information from sections 1 and 2 of the Form I-9, including:

Employee’s name and date of birth,
    Social Security Number (SSN),
    Citizenship status he or she attests to,
    A number or I-94 number, if applicable,
    Type of document provided on the Form I-9 to establish work authorization status, and
    Proof of identity, and its expiration date, if applicable.
    Response to the initial query is sent within seconds of submitting the query. Documents presented for Form I-9 identification only purposes (documents from “List B”) to E-Verify employers must have a photograph.

Q : If I am an employer who would like to run an employee’s Form I-9 information through E-Verify, but that employee does not yet have a Social Security Number, what should I do?

Employees who do not yet have a Social Security Number may not have their information run through E-Verify. If you are an employer with such an employee, you should complete the Form I-9 process with him/her and wait to run an E-Verify query on that individual until you have received his/her Social Security Number. You should note on the Form I-9 why you did not run an E-Verify query yet. Your employee should get his/her number to you quickly, and then you may run a query on that individual. In the mean time, you will have completed the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility process with your employee and verified his/her work authorization, so your employee will be allowed to work temporarily without a Social Security Number.

70. Citizen Patriot said on 1 Feb 2008 at 12:09 am:

Most of the Virginia senate is made up of knaves, idiots, and apparently crooks. Colgan probably applauded the outcome so he could claim he tried to do the right thing. It will take a public uprising against the Richmond corruption to change this mess. Time for tort actions against businesses hiring illegals (start with McDonalds). Time to file written complaints with your local law enforcement agencies providing addresses where the illegals are living - a very easy fact-finding effort for anyone with a bit of common sense. Time to file written complaints with local social service departments about excessive crowded residences. Time to contact the DMV with automobile licenses of illegal aliens. Time to report suspected gatherings of MS13 at the shopping malls and public places to local law enforcement. Time to contact the FBI and pass information about Zapatista (terrorist) presence in your local community. Time to report US citizens who are aiding and abiding illegal aliens in the USA to DHS, FBI, and local law enforcement. Every citizen (of the USA) must take individual action. Our country is slipping away to a foreign menace and we better wake up!

71. Ducky said on 1 Feb 2008 at 7:41 am:

Additionally, every citizen who buys products or services from Virginia businesses should be reported to the authorities for the crime of aiding and abetting illegal aliens.

72. CitizenofManassas said on 1 Feb 2008 at 9:14 am:

Ducky,

I think if a business hires and employs illegals, they should be proud enough to announce such and use it in their advertising. At that point, it would be very easy to avoid such businesses.

73. Michael said on 4 Feb 2008 at 10:26 pm:

Their vote 13-2 only proves what the rest of us already know.

WE have an entrenched group of republican and democrat idiots in congress and our elected legislature who grew up on social engineering concepts and political “lying” as A MEANS Of -PERSONAL SUCCESS.

These politicians are self serving elitists of the same type who caused grass roots revolutions in other countries of the world (uprisings of the people), to supplant and reverse the political elite’s ability to repress the people and ignore the people and ignore the law, in support of their own profit driven, personal power, motives.

The social elite, see themselves as smarter than the people, and above the law. Historically this has always led to a people revolution (rarely a good thing except in the Revolutionary war), Peoples rebellions because they become socialist rather than reintroduce a “smarter democratic intelligensia” has historically always been a disaster to a nation when it occurs, but even rebellions eventually bring about the required change, even in some cases if it takes 100 years.

The one good thing about a democratic society is we can all elect a new batch, who follow the will of the people, but we can only make good decisions if we can seperate who is good from who is bad. Up until this year the BAD have been able to hide in political obscurity and operate to line their own pockets with greedy corporations contributions without the public knowing about it.

Shame on all of us for not knowing more about how bad each of these individual politicians really is, and not immediately replacing them with people of more character, backbone and intellectual wisdom.

I personally will not forget any of the individuals on these committees and will personally work to make sure each of them is politically retired by the electorate of thei local jurisdictions. ONLY NEWS-MEDIA and KNOWLEDGE given to the people of these districts can do this.

You can win a battle, you traitors of the people but you will not win the war.

Ask Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, George Washington and John Hancock how they got rid of British “Tories”.

74. Michael said on 4 Feb 2008 at 10:39 pm:

One of these days, the public will be wiser, smarter and more powerful than a congressman….We will vote directly on issues via the internet and won’t need them to “stand in” for us.

That day is coming, as they continue to show us how stupid they are and how only a few idiot people can de-rail the desires of all the rest.

One of the funny things about law, the constitution and the people…the people can change it to serve them better if what is currently law is not working or capable of working with wisdom and fairness and integrity.