Unexpected Budget Improvements?

By Greg L | 31 January 2008 | Prince William County | 40 Comments

Now that the DC Examiner has run the story, it’s time to start talking about the effects of Prince William County’s crackdown on illegal aliens on the county’s budget.

When Prince William County was considering the Rule of Law resolution, one of the arguments supporting it’s passage was that the county pays an enormous amount of money providing public benefits to illegal aliens, much of which cannot be denied because of state or federal law.  If illegal aliens are discouraged from unlawfully residing in the county, they won’t be here to request these benefits, and this should result in significant budget savings for the county, which comes right at a time when tax assessments are declining.  Spending money to improve law enforcement efforts to hold illegal aliens accountable for their unlawful behavior should result in budget savings that will more than pay for this effort.

And that is exactly what the early data indicates.  Dan Gentz of the DC Examiner tells us the story about how demand for taxpayer-funded prenatal care for the poor has dropped, and that births in the county are down 10%.  Of course the folks that make their living by providing these services claim that “fear” is preventing folks from coming out to get prenatal care, but the bigger picture here tells a much different story.

I’ve heard that the number of births at Prince William Hospital to parents who couldn’t pay their bills has dropped from fifty a month to five.  Prince William Hospital told us recently that it shoulders $15 million in unpaid medical bills each year, so this should be a significant financial benefit for them.  If “fear” was preventing expecting illegal aliens mothers from obtaining taxpayer-funded prenatal care, would it also prevent them from going to the hospital to have their babies?  That’s terribly unlikely.  The much more plausible answer here is that illegal aliens are leaving, which reduces the demand for taxpayer-funded health services.

I’ve also heard that enrollments for federal welfare programs such as TANF and AFDC in Fairfax County jumped tremendously this summer from people who had recently left Prince William County.  Those welfare recipients also required schools for their children and county services in addition to the federal benefits they were applying for.  With the demand shifting away from Prince William County, there should be an evident decrease in the number of county residents requesting support from county welfare agencies, and that could easily add up to several million dollars annually.

The biggest change should be evident in the school system, and anecdotal evidence there supports the conclusion that illegal aliens are leaving Prince William County and reducing the pressure on our overcrowded schools.  I know that enrollment has declined in some Elementary Schools in the Gainesville District, and that decline was entirely the result of students who coincidentally required ESOL services moving away.  Although enrollments still remain high, the student explosion that seemed as if it would never stop clearly has stopped.  My daughter’s class shrunk from twenty one to seventeen students since the beginning of the year, and I’m told that this is happening all over.

Prince William County is a testbed for policies seeking to discourage the unlawful presence of illegal aliens.  Hopefully  data is being diligently collected which can demonstrate the positive fiscal impacts of seeking to ensure that the rule of law is upheld.  When it is all collected, it should paint a clear picture of not only what the real costs are of a permissive attitude by government towards illegal aliens, but the substantial savings that can result when policies that make it easy for illegal aliens to reside in a community are reformed.

Help Save Manassas will soon be proven to have helped save county taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.  It’s an interesting turn of the phrase, but not only does the community benefit by restoring the quality of life in our neighborhoods by discouraging illegal aliens from residing there, it saves taxpayers boatloads of money.

1. Advocator said on 25 Jan 2008 at 1:57 pm:

Fund the Resolution.

2. BattleCat said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:02 pm:

Well, the outflux of illegals has produced benefits in other parts of the country who are even ahead of PWC in their crackdowns (and no, I’m not going to provide statistics for any liberals who will undoubtedly bring it up), so even though it’s too early to say if that’s what is happening here, it’s certainly a possibility.

3. Mando said on 25 Jan 2008 at 2:04 pm:

I’d like to see if demand has gone up in sanctuary cities.

4. One Voice said on 31 Jan 2008 at 1:50 pm:

I would like to see the funding path regarding the hospital savings and the route it takes to the County’s coffers. Or, if it is a savings to the county where that amount is in the annual budget. Maybe we could get this information from Mr. Gentz?

I just want to see how much it is.

5. Rt1Resident said on 31 Jan 2008 at 2:05 pm:

I keep hearing about ILLEGALS leaving PWC but I don’t see it on rt.1 at all. Does anyone else who lives on rt.1 (near the pwkway) notice a decline or am I crazy?

6. Greg L said on 31 Jan 2008 at 2:19 pm:

I think the improvements are a lot less prevalent in Woodbridge. The info I’m getting is that illegals think that Woodbridge is marginally safer to be in than the Manassas area. Since that’s the place where Mexicans Without Borders is centered, they certainly have a stronger underground support network there than elsewhere in the county. I’ve heard of several illegal alien families moving from the Manassas area to Woodbridge.

It’s getting about time to get folks in Woodbridge set up with their own local organization so we can correct this this perception that the area is a relative haven for illegals.

7. The Truth said on 31 Jan 2008 at 3:33 pm:

8. Batson D. Belfrey said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:02 pm:

“The Truth said on 31 Jan 2008 at 3:33 pm:
    Do you remember how when the Jews were fleeing the persecution of the Nazis, they would run to those places where they would feel safer…”

Oh that’s rich. Make the linkages to the holocost. Why stop there? Why don’t you just call this a “modern final solution”. Proplem is, “Truth” there is no “Truth” to what you are trying to imply.

Liberal play-book: When all else fails, call the oposition racist. If that doesn’t work, call them Nazis.

9. The Wizard of Oz said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:27 pm:

BDB-

Never fear, I have banished “The Troof” from the Emerald City. She will be taking her inane comments down some other Yellow Brick Road.

10. MachoMex said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:28 pm:

Advocator said on 31 Jan 2008 at 1:48 pm:
    we should investigate whether or not illegal aliens have a preferred breeding season

24/7

11. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:32 pm:

Batson D. Belfrey said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:02 pm:

EXACTLY!!!

Once something is working, it is fear that makes it work. If that is the case, GOOD!!!!

They should fear whether they will be able to stay in this country for much longer.
    They should fear receiving services they have no right to.
    They should fear being caught without proper documentation.

There are consequences for your actions and if they do not have consequences, they will continue to go the way they are.

ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL.

12. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:34 pm:

MachoMex said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:28 pm:

It would seem to be that way. I am glad they are no longer seeking the services. I was hit with a PWC Hospital bill and had to pay it. Why didn’t I get a pass? Ohh that’s right, double standard. I won’t do the jobs American’s don’t want to do.

13. Red, White and Blue said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:39 pm:

As for me, HSM has performed a valuable service. If the ramifications include saving taxpayer dollars and savings for hospital debt, so be it - a double bonus. We recently learned from Corey Stewart that over 240 illegal CRIMINALS have been picked up by ICE for delivery back to their homeland and another 200 or so are in the system. Equating this fact with less criminal activity, wasted time on investigations and fewer arrest and return to our streets, certainly translates into saving taxpayer dollars with a huge plus of fewer criminals on our streets. The 287g program works. Anyone who is offended by having less criminals on our streets by insisting this program is racist, profiles or is asburd in nature cannot be a reasonable person - translation - pro crime, anti citizen.
    Since it is a basic belief that most gangs encompass 80% illegals, the 287g program can merit great results by prosecution, incarceration and deportation.
    Yes HSM should be proud of its achievements and the crusade against illegal aliens in general. Woodbridge would do well by coming aboard and Fairfax taxpayers may well wish they had if it is true about the flight of the illegals to our East.

14. anonymoustoo said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:21 pm:

Is Potomac Hospital experiencing the same trend?

15. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 31 Jan 2008 at 5:41 pm:

Red, White and Blue said on 31 Jan 2008 at 4:39 pm:

Well said!! Once our neighbors to the east start to see diminished neighborhoods, they will wake up. It is getting to be fewer and fewer places for the ILLEGAL aliens to go except back to where they came from. The patchwork is starting to close the areas where they can still reside. Once the housing market gets on its belly fully, they will no longer be needed to build houses. I do not believe the housing market is anywhere near the bottom yet. It probably won’t be for another year or so at the earliest. We still have to have the 2006 and early 2007 ARM’s reset. Unless the mortgage companies are willing to let go of some of their profit and put a freeze on the interest rates themselves, this will only continue to get worse. I do not think the Gov’t should bail out the mortgage companies OR the new home owners with any sort of money. Why should they get a break for making a financial mistake and why should the mortgage company get one for lending money in a shady way? They made their beds, they can lie in them.

16. Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:45 pm:

medic,

You’ll love this then - Sen. Dodd wants a 20B subprime bailout fund.

I’ll be giving his office a call on my way to work tommorrow

17. josh said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:23 pm:

We took my son to potomac hospital recently, he got a pretty good knock on the head during a collision with a coffee table (the table won).

Before we even saw the doctor (with him bleeding all over the place) they wheeled a cart around and starting taking our information to pay for the visit! it makes me pretty irritated when I see the illegals all filing around in the lobby waiting for service. Go after the workday during the week, potomac is packed with them.

18. 999 said on 31 Jan 2008 at 9:32 pm:

josh said on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:23 pm:

What would they have done if you said you had no insurance and couldn’t pay for the visit to the ER. The can’t turn you away. That’s why the hospital ER’s are full of illegals.

19. Ron said on 1 Feb 2008 at 7:27 am:

It would be interesting to see data concerning the effects of illegals (or the lack of them) have on local government budgets. I had been wondering about Corey Stewart’s crackdown when the news said that it was too expensive. That got me wondering whether spending on the crackdown initiative was worth it. You seem to be making the case that it all is.

All that being said, an honest accounting with the benefits and drawbacks of this crackdown would serve us all well. Admittedly, it might take a few years to track and calculate all the effects.

20. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 1 Feb 2008 at 9:22 am:

Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:45 pm

This is what I was afraid of. The Gov’t rewarding people for making bad choices. Where are the consequences?? Where is the deterrent not to do it again? Oh ok, I will buy more home than I can afford, make payments on it, have enough saved for a rainy day so when the rate resets, I can maintain the house because the Gov’t will be coming to my rescue. I am sorry, I can not afford a house right now, why should I be paying for someone else’s? Fortunately, a family emergency came up and took my down payment out of the picture. If it hadn’t, I would be one of those crying the blues. Of course, on that side of the page, I would want help as well. I just don’t see how we can afford to bail out all of these people. I just don’t see how we can continue bailing out all of these people every time they run into hard times. New Orleans comes to mind, no one forced you to live in a city that was BELOW sea level. Uhhh, what did you think was going to happen if the levies didn’t hold? It is time the Gov’t stopped helping all of these stupid people. They are not going to learn if you continue. Of course the Dems love this because they can say, we will continue to help you in this nanny state Gov’t.

21. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 1 Feb 2008 at 9:28 am:

Ron said on 1 Feb 2008 at 7:27 am:

This is a link to Center for Immigration Studies

“This study is one of the first to estimate the total impact of illegal immigration on the federal budget. Most previous studies have focused on the state and local level and have examined only costs or tax payments, but not both. Based on Census Bureau data, this study finds that, when all taxes paid (direct and indirect) and all costs are considered, illegal households created a net fiscal deficit at the federal level of more than $10 billion in 2002. We also estimate that, if there was an amnesty for illegal aliens, the net fiscal deficit would grow to nearly $29 billion.”
    __________

This isn’t some right wing group, it is the Gov’t telling us how much this will cost. Given that it is based on the 2002 census you will have to do some math to see what the increase would be proportionate to the number of ILLEGAL aliens that have entered since the 2002 census was taken.

22. 999 said on 1 Feb 2008 at 9:30 am:

Anon said on 31 Jan 2008 at 6:45 pm

Look at all of the people who have high priced diggs on the outer banks. Everytime a hurricane wipes them out, they rebuild with the help of the feds and insurance companies. Next hurricane and they do the same thing. You can’t build a house on a flood plane, but it’s okay to get wiped out everytime a hurricane comes through. No logic!999

23. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 1 Feb 2008 at 9:51 am:

999,

The same holds true for those in CA on the hill sides. It rains, dirt erodes and the houses fall down the hill. I guess it is because they get the help, they continue to build on them. I am tired of paying for it. We need to look into this type of spending and get a cap on it. Once the amount budgeted has been used, that is it. No more money. If you happen to have a disaster in the last part of the year, then too bad. The Gov’t needs to budget the money to last all year long.

I can’t print money when my bills are due and I do not have enough to pay them, so why does the Gov’t get to?

24. RR said on 1 Feb 2008 at 11:10 am:

Maybe somebody who knows more about insurance and risk management can weigh in, but I know some insurers form pools of low-risk customers and reward them with lower premiums. On auto policies, anyway.

I would like see homeowners who have NOT built on sand, as it were, band together and invite underwriters to bid on their collective business. There are actually quite a few of us around who don’t live in palaces constructed on mud hills, barrier islands, flood plains, and beneath levees.

And since the Feds love to throw our tax dollars that those who do, maybe there oughta be a special tax credit for people who don’t live in idiotic places.

25. anonymoustoo said on 1 Feb 2008 at 12:07 pm:

Here’s some info from FEMA about flood insurance. Notice the limits and conditions which apply. I think a person would have to get additional private insurance for the value of the house not covered by the Feds. It’s also my understanding that many private insurers are pulling out of hurricane prone states.

26. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 1 Feb 2008 at 12:14 pm:

RR said on 1 Feb 2008 at 11:10 am:

Exactly, why should I pay for someone that doesn’t carry car insurance? I pay my premium why should I pay theirs to?

The reason is because we are not rich and don’t get catered to. Those stupid enough to build in those situations, deserve what they get. It all boils down to consequences. There are none for them. The Gov’t will sweep in and fix everything for them because they are stupid.

27. dolph said on 1 Feb 2008 at 3:29 pm:

I certainly would not be making any rash statements about houses not being built in a flood plane. Take a look over at lower Loch Lomond and parts of Westgate and Sudley. Much of the land that went into what is now Westgate/Lomond was quite the scandal back in the 60’s. There were all sorts of accusations about the BOCS taking money under the table from a certain major developer. I didn’t live here then but the stories have circulated for decades.

I am also not sure that the Outer Banks have been wiped out by hurricanes. Kitty Hawk usually gets some damage because of the proximity of those older cottages to the ocean, but no newer real estate has been washed away, to my knowledge, at least not in mass quantity.

28. dolph said on 1 Feb 2008 at 3:33 pm:

Medic or are you going by 3dic these days…..(sorry, I just couldn’t resist…being the dolph)

It sort of makes you wonder who really is the stupid one.
    I would like for there to be mandatory auto insurance. If you don’t have it on the car, the car doesn’t go on the road. If someone is caught without insurance, the car is impounded and the driver or owner or both jailed.

I have a serious take no prisoners attitude on this one.

29. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 1 Feb 2008 at 4:16 pm:

dolph,

M64 is the best it seems (c;

I believe there is a law that people have auto insurance. My point was, I do not like having to pay uninsured motorist insurance. If they do not have it, they get a fine, usually less than the premium for a year and a slap on the wrist to get proper insurance. This isn’t pointed at ILLEGAL aliens particularly, just all that drive.

I like impounding the car and jailing the owner/driver. I think 10-15 days in jail would get the point across. This would allow a bit of an impound fee to incur as well. Consequences, now if that happens, it would have been cheaper for them to have auto insurance to begin with. Consequences, that is what has to happen, a deterrent for not doing what you are suppose to.

30. dolph said on 2 Feb 2008 at 7:56 pm:

M64,

I think you can pay to not have insurance….like a liability fee…uninsured motor vehicle fee. Hell I don’t know. It would never occur to me to do something so irresponsible.

Can someone else chime in on how this works?
    ~~splash~~

31. Mike Austin said on 3 Feb 2008 at 12:19 am:

DOLPH;
    From http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/insurance.asp

“The $500 Uninsured Motor Vehicle (UMV) fee, which is paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), does not provide any insurance; it only allows you to drive an uninsured vehicle at your own risk.”

Even then, the problem is that a lot of vehicles on our highways are not only uninsured, they do not pay the $500 fee either.

32. dolph said on 3 Feb 2008 at 10:27 am:

Thanks Mike. That is exactly what I thought. I would like to see every vehicle insured. If you care caught without insurance, impounded vehicle.

What is the reasoning behind the fee to have an uninsured vehicle? Why not just ban it all together?

33. jfk said on 3 Feb 2008 at 10:52 am:

Finally, Dolph and I agree on something!!

34. jfk said on 3 Feb 2008 at 10:52 am:

I like it when dolph leaves the middle of the road.

35. Lafayette said on 3 Feb 2008 at 11:07 am:

My, my look at the kindness this fine Sunday morning. :)

Uninsured vehicles and drivers should NOT be on our roads period. Seems pretty simple NO INSURANCE then you have NO DRIVING PRIVILEGES. Driving is a privilege not a right. The valid insurance policy should have to be produced anytime you are conducting business at DMV. I know they send random letters requesting proof of insurance. That’s a waste of paper and postage and not protecting the citizens of Virginia.

36. dolph said on 3 Feb 2008 at 11:44 am:

jfk,

Is the earth turning in the opposite direction? LOL

I do leave the middle of the road…but not always in the direction you might like. That’s the problem with us moderates. We can go either way.

I am sure we will have other agreements.

37. Lafayette said on 3 Feb 2008 at 11:52 am:

dolph,
    Right, being a moderate means we have to take sh!t from both sides. We can most definately go either way. I’m very liberal on somethings and very conservative on others.

38. dolph said on 3 Feb 2008 at 5:55 pm:

Lafayette,

Absolutely. At least we think for ourselves and don’t quote the party line.

And if things get too shiny, we fight back;)

39. 999 said on 3 Feb 2008 at 11:47 pm:

dolph said on 1 Feb 2008 at 3:29 pm:

Effects of Hurricane Isabel in North Carolina
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The effect of Hurricane Isabel on North Carolina was the worst from a hurricane since Hurricane Floyd made landfall in 1999. Hurricane Isabel formed from a tropical wave on September 6, 2003 in the tropical Atlantic Ocean. It moved northwestward, and within an environment of light wind shear and warm waters it steadily strengthened to reach peak winds of 165 mph (265 km/h) on September 11. After fluctuating in intensity for four days, Isabel gradually weakened and made landfall on the Outer Banks of North Carolina with winds of 105 mph (165 km/h) on September 18. It quickly weakened over land and became extratropical over western Pennsylvania the next day.

Isabel produced moderate to heavy damage across eastern North Carolina, totaling $450 million (2003 USD, $495 million 2006 USD). Damage was heaviest in Dare County, where storm surge flooding and strong winds damaged thousands of houses. The storm surge produced a 2,000 foot (600 m) wide inlet on Hatteras Island, isolating Hatteras by road for two months. Strong winds downed hundreds of trees of across the state, leaving up to 700,000 residents without power. Most areas with power outages had power restored within a few days. The hurricane directly killed one person and indirectly killed two in the state.

40. One Voice said on 4 Feb 2008 at 12:54 pm: