We Did It

By Greg L | 13 February 2008 | Virginia Politics | 30 Comments

William and Mary President Gene Nichol has resigned.  Yes, public pressure works to hold to account those who repeatedly engage in outrageous behavior.  Hopefully, the “whore nation” concept is now dead in our universities.

1. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 13 Feb 2008 at 12:00 pm:

Slightly OT: http://federalistblog.us/2007/09/revisiting_subject_to_the_jurisdiction.html
    This has to do with the anchor baby crisis. This is a very good read. We must take action now!

2. monticup said on 13 Feb 2008 at 12:31 pm:

The Patriot: Are these millions of anchor babies dual citizens? Like Dr Juan Hernandez who plots the destruction of the USA from within?

3. monticup said on 13 Feb 2008 at 12:32 pm:

Who allowed Gene Nichols to become president of that great institution in the first place? Nichols is an ACLU activist. Good riddance.

4. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 13 Feb 2008 at 2:22 pm:

monti…I would think that they would be since their parents are illegal aliens.

5. CR UVa said on 13 Feb 2008 at 2:28 pm:

Unfortunately, I doubt this whole thing is over. W&M students are about to start protesting. Hope that school is ready to hold out for the rest of the semester, because some of the students will likely keep fighting this until the summer (most likely, they’ll forget during the break, but that still means two to three months of frustration on that campus).

6. Johnson said on 13 Feb 2008 at 3:05 pm:

W&M is right up the road from me. They’ll get over it. Bunch of spoiled brats, typical college students, not smart enough/haven’t experienced enough to form their own opinions.

Monti & Patriot- we do not formally recognize dual citizenship. Other countries do. People are admitted as citizens, permenent residents, or visitors.

7. Dolph said on 13 Feb 2008 at 3:10 pm:

It sounds like a witch hunt to me. I would love to have the names of all the delegates who jumped in to this one. I saw one and that was all it took to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure they will all plead innocence.

I fear this is not something that makes me proud as a Virginian.

8. es_la_ley said on 13 Feb 2008 at 3:12 pm:

Like pulling vampires into sunshine. POOF!

I love it.

9. Advocator said on 13 Feb 2008 at 3:17 pm:

Johnson:

My daughter is a student at W&M and is anything but spoiled. She works, plays a varsity sport, and maintains over a 3.0 average. As for Nichol, she says good riddance.

Be careful about generalizations.

10. Johnson said on 13 Feb 2008 at 4:34 pm:

Advocator-
    I sincerely hope that you are not insinuating that I singled out your daughter. She sounds like a decent person and you should be proud of her. I will be careful as I see fit. Don’t overreact to a blog entry.

11. Not4Nothing said on 13 Feb 2008 at 5:10 pm:

“we do not formally recognize dual citizenship”

The US does, indeed, recognize dual citizenship. This is one of the things that makes “family reunification” so deadly.

We are allowing people who hold “loyalty” to 2 nations into the US with full voting rights and are allowing them to bring in family. Thus we are allowing people who have been here for a short amount of time (most long term US citizens don’t have parents, siblings, children in another country) and who hold citizenship in their country of origin as well as the US to have more say about whom we allow into this country than people whose ancestors fought and died in our wars, built the United States into the world power that it is today, paid taxes for generations, and who owe allegiance to the United States alone. Where will their loyalty lie? Will they vote for things that help the US or their “former” country?

Dumb, huh?

12. Johnson said on 13 Feb 2008 at 5:23 pm:

Not for Nothing-I see your point and agree completely. What I meant was that we do not recognize dual citizenship as a right. A U.S. citizen cannot be admitted to the U.S. as anything but. The Middle Easterners are especially confused about this. Not trying to be nit-pickey(sp?). Of course, like everything else we have to offer as a nation, foreigners take advantage of our generosity, then laugh at us for being weak.

13. Dolph said on 13 Feb 2008 at 5:45 pm:

Greg L said “Hopefully, the “whore nation” concept is now dead in our universities.”

I sure don’t think the concept it dead. Many other colleges and universities are on the schedule.

I am most uncomfortable with committee members of the Delegate Assembly and activists deciding what is appropriate on our campuses. I am even more uncomfortable with the Board of Visitors at William and Mary being squeezed to not renew President Nichol’s contract.

I would like to see a full disclosure on what has really happened. Reading President Nichol’s letter announcing his resignation appalls me.

14. es_la_ley said on 13 Feb 2008 at 5:48 pm:

Not4Nothing, Johnson:

For what it’s worth….

The United States Oath of Citizenship [that must be taken by all immigrants who wish to become United States citizens]:

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

—–

Then again, if one is granted amnesty by the elected maggotry, allegiance and fidelity doesn’t apply. :-(

15. This blog sucks said on 13 Feb 2008 at 6:56 pm:

I think most of the readers of this blog could use a “sex workers tour” or whatever performance…way too many uptight conservatives on this blog…as Riggo said to Sandra Day O’Connor…”loosen up, Sandy baby”.

16. Not4Nothing said on 13 Feb 2008 at 7:25 pm:

I repeat myself: The USA currently allows newly minted citizens to keep their “citizenship” or whatever the relevant term is in their previous country. Mexico encourages this dual citizenship. You are dreaming if you think that this doesn’t matter.

17. W&M Alum said on 13 Feb 2008 at 8:44 pm:

As a W&M alum I am glad to see Nichol go. However, this decision by the BOV has nothing to do with the Wren Cross or the Sex Workers show. Because of Nichol’s actions many alumni have been witholding their donations to the school including one alum who gave millions of dollars. This decision by the BOV was a result of Nichol not being able to bring in the $$ and that is why they got rid of him along with the pressure placed on them by members of the General Assembly who also happen to be alums. Greg-as far as your comment about the “whore nation” I disagree. I think this is something that goes on in liberal campuses across the country, but because W&M is so close to home and because of the other controversies that Nichol stirred up (the Wren Cross) it created bigger headlines. In fact, I think that because so many students are angry with the Board’s decision it will make them even more determined to make their views known. And Johnson, do not generalize. Although many W&M students are too liberal for you does not mean they are stupid and/or spoiled.

18. Vigilant1 said on 13 Feb 2008 at 11:45 pm:

Yes, they only come here to do the work Americans won’t do and to get on the “path” to U.S. citizenship. RIGHT!

19. Josh Leggette said on 14 Feb 2008 at 12:19 am:

As a current student at W & M (’08), I am happy that Nichol is going and quite proud to be associated with the students that helped lead the charge against him. Sure, people might protest until the end of the semester, but they didn’t do it when it mattered, so the point is moot. Good riddance Nichol.

20. Bridget said on 14 Feb 2008 at 4:34 am:

21. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 14 Feb 2008 at 9:37 am:

This blog sucks said on 13 Feb 2008 at 6:56 pm:

______________________

You are free to go visit another blog. No one makes you type in the address in the address bar, force you to click the mouse on any of the threads or force you to read any comments.

You seem to me like one who is an attention hound. There, you have had your 15 minutes, now move along if you have nothing productive to contribute.

22. Johnson said on 14 Feb 2008 at 12:58 pm:

W&M Alum- I did not say stupid. But, as I have said in the past, liberalism does tend to run to the spoiled side. I will generalize as I please. I do agree with your assessment of the donation dropoff. The Board will do what is good for the school. I never understood how a college could justify asking for money from alumni. I am a graduate of the University of Pain at Parris Island, S.C. They never ask for money. They got their pound of flesh and are content.

Medic-whassup? Where ya been?

23. Johnson said on 14 Feb 2008 at 2:44 pm:

This should be interesting to watch. First the cars, then all of the other ill-gotten gains such as houses and bank accounts. Just like drug dealers and RICO abusers.

24. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 14 Feb 2008 at 3:43 pm:

Johnson said on 14 Feb 2008 at 2:44 pm:

I agree with this article. I think they should loose their cars. This would make them think twice about driving. My insurance is high enough because of those who do not have it. Why do I have to pay for uninsured motorists?

25. Johnson said on 14 Feb 2008 at 4:46 pm:

Medic-
    Illegal alien gets a car, buys a policy, registers it with VA DMV and drops the insurance policy. The insurance co. notifies DMV that the policy was cancelled. In a perfect world, the DMV notifies the Circuit Court, who tasks the Sheriff to locate the offending vehicle and remove the license plates. In many jurisdictions, including Manassas and PWC, cars must display valid registration, whether on private property or on the street. Where time and resources permit, the process works wonderfully. It’s also a lot of fun, from the Deputy’s point of view. Lotsa drama. A lot of states require their police officers to verify proof of insurance during a traffic stop. Works great in New Jersey and Texas. Virginia does not. A check of the license plate through NCIC will not reflect insurance status. I think that it should. Offending vehicles should be impounded on the spot, tags removed and returned to DMV, no re-issue for 90 days, then re-issue with a paid-in-full one year policy.

26. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 14 Feb 2008 at 4:58 pm:

Johnson said on 14 Feb 2008 at 4:46 pm:

EXACTLY!!! I didn’t know VA didn’t have the requirement to ask for proof of insurance. I thought it was mandatory to have insurance therefore, requesting proof was just another gotcha if they didn’t have it.

I think they should have to wait longer than 90 days. Make it inconvenient for them and others who break the law.

27. Dolph said on 14 Feb 2008 at 5:25 pm:

Johnson,

I would like to have any car impounded if driven by someone uninsured. Legal, illegal, I don’t really care. Insure your car or lose it.

28. Krutis said on 17 Feb 2008 at 11:56 am:

A little late for this blog but there are a couple of interesting things in this Sunday’s WashPost regarding Gene Nicol, one from an alumna who definitely defends the man.

From what I read, he could have quitely disappeared with a hefty severance pay but decided to stay and fight. That’s a definite plus IMO.

29. cdubbs said on 17 Feb 2008 at 5:19 pm:

Glad to see the real owners of W&M have won the day. Every once in a while the ship rights itself after a storm. I am sure there are lots of colleges and universities who are anxious to have the services of Mr. Nichol.

I mean what parent who writes tuition checks every year wouldn’t want their student to attend a school sponsored sex workers show on campus?

I think anyone would be proud to have an announcement with photos of their child attending the event posted in the MJM along with all the other college announcements. ” Johnny Jones wins varsity letter at Dartmouth; Sally Anderson elected Phi Beta Kappa at University of Texas; Ted Binotz attends sex worker show at William and Mary”. Sounds good, no?

30. Krutis said on 17 Feb 2008 at 9:31 pm:

cdubbs - Who are he “real owners” of WM? Could you please explain.