Another Teacher Busted On Sex Crimes

By Greg L | 25 February 2008 | Crime, Manassas City | 94 Comments

A Manassas City Schools teacher by the name of Ted Johnson has been arrested for attempted indecent liberties with a child and misdemeanor sexual battery according to NBC4, which got the information from, of all places, the Stafford County Sheriff’s office.  It’s just one more example of how Osbourn High School has been spinning out of control in recent years and is overdue for a leadership shake-up.

Police are looking for more victims.  I don’t like the looks of this one bit.

1. JimmyV said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:06 pm:

You are right, this looks bad. I have not been following, how else has Osbourn “been spinning out of control”? What leadership are you talking about? I think they have had a new principal and supt. in the past couple years.

2. Student said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:10 pm:

I attend Osbourn High School and Mr. Johnson happened to be one of my teachers. OHS is not spinning out of control. Just because of one or two recent news-worthy happenings does not mean that it is a bad school. Other schools have just as bad, if not worse, scandals, it is just not always as publicized.

3. Greg L said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:23 pm:

Aside from the law enforcement activity that gets a lot of public attention, I get a steady stream of information that the school security personnel are turning a blind eye to rampant discipline problems, that a spanish teacher who was there for a few months was going into political diatribes during class, and that student performance has been on a steady and dramatic decline over the past few years.

Hopefully, Student, these problems haven’t impacted you. There are still good staff and students, and they can turn this school around under the right leadership. I’d really like to see Osbourn restore it’s reputation as one of the best schools in the area.

4. Cerberus said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:23 pm:

Let’s not have a rush to judgment here. My wife has worked closely with Ted Johnson for almost a decade and we are in shock at this allegation. Just knowing Ted and the kind of person he is, we believe this must be a false charge.

He will have his day in court, until then, let’s all just cool out and wait until we can see the evidence against him.

5. MP Resident said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:57 pm:

Osbourn High School was a zoo back in 1995 under the “leadership” of Dr. Marian B. Stephens.

After she left Manassas, she got a job at a district in PA, as I recall, lasted a few years there, then left there to go to Tehachapi Unified School District in California which as of last year (1/27/07) voted to can her with 3 years remaining on her contract as superintendent[1].

Now how long was she principal at Osbourn High School and does anyone wonder why after this person left she can’t hold down a job for longer than a few years in any district she’s been to?

[1]Tehachapi Unified School District’s newly elected board President Gary Warner called a last minute, special board meeting for Wednesday, Jan. 25 resulting in the 4-3 vote to release TUSD Superintendent Marian Stephens from the three years remaining on her contract with the district.

6. HIN said on 25 Feb 2008 at 5:10 pm:

Mr. Johnson taught when I was at OHS, early 90s. True of false, do these allegations mean that the school has been spinning out of control for 15+ years? Let’s not rush to judge. Lives are already ruined on both sides of this.

7. MP Resident said on 25 Feb 2008 at 5:14 pm:

These problems didn’t happen overnight–that’s what I’m getting at.

8. Batson D. Belfrey said on 25 Feb 2008 at 5:15 pm:

“Frankly I don’t know how often teachers are falsely charged with such crimes, as opposed to how often they really are guilty, however I think we can all agree that it is not uncommon for these charges to eventually prove false. ”

Please educate yourself on this issue. go to www.badbadteacher.com. You will be schocked at how often it occurs. If you read the history of the individual cases, most start out with “I am sure this is a false accusation” and end up with the accused being found guilty, or plea deal, when the evidence against the accused seems insurmountable.

I am not saying that this is the case here. In as much as he may be innocent, he could just as well be guilty. While the case should be investigated and adjudicated. Don’t be quick to call him guilty, but don’t leap to his defense either.

9. MCPS mom said on 25 Feb 2008 at 5:25 pm:

I’m going to echo Student and Cerberus. My children have been Ted Johnson’s students for several years, have had wonderful experiences in MCPS’s nationally ranked band program, and I have never even heard a rumor of impropriety.

As far as the decline in student achievement and “spinning out of control,” I invite you to research OHS’s excellent test scores, especially in light of changing regional demographics. My OHS student just placed in the *mid-90th percentile nationally* on her PSATs, and she was not the highest score in the classroom. All of her education has been through MCPS, and as a working mother I sure don’t tutor her at home or drag my kids to “educational” weekend activities.

Please do not insult a teacher, a school, and an educational system about which you know little. And remember that Mr. Johnson is innocent until proven guilty.

10. J. Tyler Ballance said on 25 Feb 2008 at 6:12 pm:

[Ed note: comment deleted.]

11. JimmyV said on 25 Feb 2008 at 6:39 pm:

Well Greg it sound like you are just making thinks up again. How do you know these things about OHS? Rumors? Not a good source. What leadership do you think needs to be changed? Give us some facts not opinions.

12. Dolph said on 25 Feb 2008 at 6:45 pm:

How about innocent until proven guilty for this poor bloke? I seriously doubt anyone here knows what happened.

Mr. UNballanceD certainly provided a rather interesting story. I will be watching to see how long that account remains.

13. redawn said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:07 pm:

“How about innocent until proven guilty for this poor bloke? I seriously doubt anyone here knows what happened”

I would have to agree. The truth always comes out until then it should be taken into consideration. Stop and think about situations in life, where YOU may have been accused of…..and how it felt when you were trying to defend yourself for numerous reasons such as friendship tifts, etc….. shoe on the other foot!~

14. Krutis said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:21 pm:

I’m surprised that UNBallance’s comment went through. That has absolutely NO place in this blog. He is writing about a person, I suppose it’s a REAL person, but his account of a roll in the hay with same person, is fiction. Just trying to spice things up a bit. Freshman in high school! He says he was 18 at the time and a FRESHMAN! A little bit slow in the educational area, it seems.

As for the accusation of Mr. Johnson - it’s one girl’s statement against his and he’s out of his job, his reputation is ruined, his family is suffering humiliation without anything having been proven. Students’ parents state that their children have had nothing but good experiences with Mr. Johnson. This is the truly tragic consequenses of unproven accusations.

15. JimmyV said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:29 pm:

Krutis,
    I agree. Mr. Johnson however is not out of a job. I am sure he will not be back in school, but he will not be fired unless he is proven guilty. He may be on leave without pay but his salary will be put in escrow. He will recieve all monies if he is proven not guilty. I sure hope he did not do this for everyones sake. I find it disturbing however, that he is being held without bond. That may be because they have some hard evidence.

16. Dolph said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:33 pm:

The sad thing is, any student or parent can say anything in the world about teachers, bus drivers, administrators, custodians, cafeteria workers, regardless of how heinous the accusation. It becomes incumbent upon the accused to prove their innocence rather than the other way around.

Reputations and lives are ruined because of gossip, innuendo and falsehoods. Unfortunately, this behavior makes it more difficult to remove the true bad apples, and there are some.

17. Krutis said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:43 pm:

Yes, JimmyV - being held without bond might be a sign of something concrete in the accusation. As for leave without pay; sure hope he has an emergency fund so he’s able to keep up with rent or mortgage payments and other necessary expenses. What is his family situation? Does he have children?

18. MCPS mom said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:45 pm:

He has four children. All teenagers. A tragedy all the way around, really no matter the outcome.

19. Anon said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:47 pm:

Krutis - he was a Freshman at Old Dominion. It’s a university. 18 is usually the age of college freshman.

Can someone get him the address to Penthouse’s letter section, so he can pen his prose somewhere else?

20. Krutis said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:49 pm:

MCPS mom - It makes me want to cry! It’s AWFUL! No matter what the outcome. Teenage children! Can you imagine how they must feel going to school - if they GO to school after this.

21. JimmyV said on 25 Feb 2008 at 8:00 pm:

Greg said “which got the information from, of all places, the Stafford County Sheriff’s office. ” Makes sense to me since it happened in Stafford County……of all places! And Krutis you are right again, it’s awful for all concerned. MCPS mom, are you sure? I was told he has 5 kids at home.

22. Student2 said on 25 Feb 2008 at 8:01 pm:

I got to OHS, and Johnson is one of the best teachers in the school. He works hard to keep the band safe and fun. He has always had safety in mind (especially with the girls) when going on trips. Never have I experienced him act inappropriate. When I first heard any allegations of him being in jail, I was in disbelief. Rumors are rumors, and high schools are full of them. Until I Googled the story did I realize the talk of the hall was true. As I’ve been checking throughout the night for updates, I’ve learned more about the story and still can’t believe it.

And, don’t say a school is “spinning out of control.” Even though our demographics have drastically changed in the past years and a scandal occurred a few years ago, that does not indicate a school is “spinning out of control.”

23. Krutis said on 25 Feb 2008 at 8:06 pm:

Student2 - Great to hear a cool, sensible statement from one of the students. I think most who blog here hope to God that it isn’t true.

24. redawn said on 25 Feb 2008 at 8:26 pm:

Everyone wants the best outcome in situations but jumping to conclusions are far worse in the amount of damage. I just see where some have said it looks like a witch hunt (or racist)….
    the judge, jury and executioner too…..think about it…

25. Just another student said on 25 Feb 2008 at 8:31 pm:

I’m going to have to agree with the other two actual students of Mr. J here. He’s pretty much the most amazing teacher I’ve ever had, and I know I’m not alone in my thinking.

And it’s even greater to get half the story from the principal, telling you that you suddenly don’t have a band director under mysterious circumstances, and then having to hear other things from rumors in the hallway.

I can’t believe any of it.

26. redawn said on 25 Feb 2008 at 8:43 pm:

“Rumors are rumors, and high schools are full of them. Until I Googled the story did I realize the talk of the hall was true. As I’ve been checking throughout the night for updates, I’ve learned more about the story and still can’t believe it.”

We all are aware of the” tell a” friend game and how it ends up.
    I just re-read the article and it does NOT look good. I just wanted to reemphasize he comment above.

My GENERALIZED statements above are not just from this story but the general tone of the blog.

27. Mike Austin said on 25 Feb 2008 at 9:35 pm:

Whatever happened with regard to the charged against coach Williams?

28. student.. said on 25 Feb 2008 at 9:48 pm:

Mr J is an amazing teacher, as i agree with the previous students as well. he cares about our safety and hes always looking out for his students. Ive had him as a teacher and this is crazy to even imagine. i cant see him being that kinda of man. I had a great deal of respect for him the first day i had him as a teacher in 5th grade and i will continue to respect him.

29. Old Manassas said on 25 Feb 2008 at 9:53 pm:

Greg L said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:23 pm:
    Aside from the law enforcement activity that gets a lot of public attention

What law enforcement activity are you speaking of Greg? Please tells us what you know.

30. ateacher said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:05 pm:

the scariest thing about being a teacher is that any moment a student or teacher can say you wronged them in some way. Gone is six years of education, gone is your graduate degree, gone is everything you’ve ever worked toward…like that..poof..gone. Therefore most of us guard what we do..we are forbidden to correspond with parents via email, all contact must be oral.

31. Gnarly said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:05 pm:

I think “J. Tyler Ballance” was NOT the real author of that post above. Think about it…nobody would write such a thing and post their full name (I would hope not), especially a name that is familiar to alot of folks on the blogs.

Well actually….anybody who is a regular on this blog would never post such a thing under any name.

32. JimmyV said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:13 pm:

ateacher,
    Who do you work for? Teachers in Manassas correspond with parents via email all the time.

Old Manassas,
    Greg has no idea what goes on at OHS. He gets his information from folks on his blog that also have no idea. It looks good for him to make our schools look bad.

We have great schools, great teachers and great kids. The OHS Talent show is Friday, why don’t some of you negative people come out and see what kind of kids Manassas has? Talk is cheap, come out and get the real scoop.

33. Dolph said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:20 pm:

It is heartwarming to know that so many students are defending Mr. Johnson.

Unfortunately, his life will never be the same, regardless of outcome.

I guess Mr. UNballanceD will stay. Greg made it clear that he would determine what would go and what would stay.

34. JimmyV said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:22 pm:

Mike Williams,
    Coach Williams was not charged. I don’t know if he is back at the school or not.

35. ateacher said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:37 pm:

Jimmy V..teachers correspond by email with parents all the time????? what? We’ve been told again and again as elem teachers, DO NOT CORRESPOND with parents via email…ever…if your life depends upon it..put nothing in writing…your life depends on it..everything must be oral. EmaIL IS THE BIG BAD WOLF, it will eat you up and disolve your job prospects…FOREVER!!!!!! YOU WILL DIE !!!!!!!!!

36. Student said on 25 Feb 2008 at 10:51 pm:

Greg, I would also like to add that until you go to Osbourn High School, or any of the MCP schools for that matter, and walk the halls, and experience the teachers, adimn, and students, you have no idea what you are talking about. You do not know if the school is “spinning out of control.” And frankly I am mildly offended by that comment because I do not think it is fair of you to generalize all of Manassas City Schools based off of one or two events. That is not fair to the school, much less the students and admin. No one wanted any of this to happen and if we could all wish this away we would. So next time you want to cast accusations please have some defenses for your arguement. Thank you.

37. anon said on 25 Feb 2008 at 11:21 pm:

Heard the charges were dropped against Williams.

Greg get a grip - Stick to your County schools. I am more than mildly offended.

38. KIT said on 26 Feb 2008 at 1:44 am:

I graduated from OHS in 1999 and was a student of Mr. Johnson’s in 7th grade (@ metz) and later on in 9th-12th grade. My experiences with him were always positive, and I sincerely hope that these charges are not true. It would really come as a blow to me, and i’m sure to many of my ex-classmates, if he had victimized any child, now or in the past. Personally, I must wait to hear a verdict before casting my own judgment on him.

W/ respect to MCPS, I am, in retrospect, generally happy with the caliber of the teachers and their abilities as educators. At OHS, however, the administration left much to be desired. I think the principal who succeeded Stephens was a Mr. Graham. I don’t know if he continues to work there, but I think many students (and the occasional teacher speaking in confidence) found him a rigid and ironfisted man. Some might say such qualities are important in a high school principal in order to maintain discipline, but I think this may have come at the short-term expense of qualitative improvements in education at OHS.

39. Timothy Watson said on 26 Feb 2008 at 4:40 am:

Greg, The Free Lance–Star out of Fredericksburg has more:

40. Michael said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:17 am:

Can I ask a very simple question?

Just what is “attempted indecent liberties”?

and what is “misdemeanor sexual battery”?

I know what its not, its not “sex with a child” so what is he really accused of doing, saying something wrong to an 11th grader?

I too think “new age” social religious issues and “revisions” of the bible are driving these types of accusations far beyond what they should be, similar to the new religious term “sexual relations”, which can mean just about anything these days, including holding hands or flirting/looking at someone in an attracted way.

What did he do, hold hands with someone, or brush up against someone who was offended by that?

I think before we jump to some concept of crininal behavior, we need to really understand the offense and the possibility of why, who, and how someone, including Mr. Thompson or his accuser, may have motives to lie.

Personally I’m sick of the accuser having the right to wreck people’s lives and people who might be innocent are being forced to “prove the negative” on sexual misdemeaner charges, that turn out to be false (like dating accusations). It’s extremely difficult to prove you didn’t do something when someone who is lying claims you did.

I think all such cases to protect both the innocent accuser or the innocent accused should be held in secret and never made public until a verdict is reached. Certainly not drug all over this blog with unproven accusations implied or otherwise.

41. Michael said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:36 am:

So with some more “facts” we understand its a 13 year old at a sleep over. That sounds a little more suspicious. The word “attempted” still carries a lot of weight however in terms of what actually happened, “i.e succeeded or actual” and can be suspicious in its own right, regarding the truth behind “he said”, “she said”.

42. JimmyV said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:42 am:

Michael,
    He was charged on the word of a 13 year old who was at a sleep over at his home. I feel the same way that no matter what happens now this mans life is going to be adversely altered. On the other hand we must at some level take the charge seriously in order to safeguard the other children in his care. A very hard line to walk, but my God what if the charges are true and we allowed Mr. Johnson (who I am going to assume is innocent, for now) to interact with all of those kids? Glad I am not the ones who has to decide how to handle this. The superintendent and school board have their work cut out for them now. I know Mr. Johnson as a good man and I hope for the best for him and his family as well as for his accuser.

43. anon said on 26 Feb 2008 at 7:56 am:

How much do band teachers make in Manassas City? Johnson bought his house in Stafford in July, 2005 for $609,000! Hope he didn’t have a video business on the side.

44. redawn said on 26 Feb 2008 at 8:34 am:

Anon,
    Mr.Johnson could have made money off of previous houses, investments, or maybe his wife makes good money. The possiblities are endless. It is NOT that cut and dry when investing.

“Hope he didn’t have a video business on the side.”
    That is how Sh^t gets started~

45. Batson D. Belfrey said on 26 Feb 2008 at 8:44 am:

Besides the comment which seems better suited to a trashy romance novel, I have to say that both sides are making very rational arguments. Greg, as a blogger, has a right and a responsibility to cover stories important to the local community. It matters not that he lives in the county. Are you going to tell me that the PN/MJM reporters must cover stories in their own neighborhoods? Whether it’s possible government corruption, violent crime, elections, politics, and crimes against children, we need to know what is going on in the community. If the PN/MJM were doing their jobs, blogs would be about as important to true adults as is my space and facebook. One thing you need to know about blogs is that they are opinion driven. Both the blogger, and those commenting are expressing opinion, hopefully rational opionions, based in fact. Keep up the good work, Greg.

In regards to this particular case, I hope the charges are disproven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Anything less, and this man’s life is ruined, as is that of his family. This must be a terrible time for them, and I am praying for them. He seems to be well-regarded by his students. It would be such a terrible waste if he were innocent, and could not completely establish this.

He may be guilty. If this is the case, then it is better that he was found out now, when the charges appear to be “attempted”, than for him to be charged with rape, forcible sodomy, etc. If he is guilty, then society has a responsibility to punish harshly. If he is guilty, his family will suffer. Again, I pray for them.

Teachers occupy a position of trust. We trust them with our children. Like any group, there are good, and there are bad. Fortunately, most are good. Still, those who are bad need to be punished. Not only for the crime, but for violating the trust we place in them, and it happens far more often than we would like to believe. This man may or may not have. I hope for the sake of all involved that he didn’t.

46. Mark W. Weaver said on 26 Feb 2008 at 9:08 am:

One of my daughters had Mr. Johnson as a band teacher back in the early ’90’s. I can’t recall specifics, but I do recall her having some sort of problem with him (it was nothing sexual whatsoever, but involved some sort of conflict with other school activities in which Mr. Johnson insisted that “band” come first over other schoolwork or something like that). Anyway, as her father, I confronted Mr. Johnson about his remarks. The matter was reseolved, although I came away from the experience not caring personally for him very much.

All of that said, I sincerely hope these charges are false, and although I never did like him all that much, I hope he is exonerated. I would not wish this on anyone.

Until the final verdict comes in, or until overwhelming evidence is made public, I will do my best to think the best of him and consider him “innocent until proven guilty” as our great system allows.

47. Dolph said on 26 Feb 2008 at 10:59 am:

Lafayette requested that I post the following from her:

This is truly a sad story for all parties concerned and our entire community as a whole.

I am amazed to see students coming on to defend their teacher, and that is to be commended. The students are sounding more like adults than some of the adults on here.

So many things have already been said. However, I would remind all as many others already said this man is innocent until proven guilty. We have not seen any evidence, and the bottom line is kids will lie. This is America in our justice system which is the greatest on the globe…again, he is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

**Lafayette**

48. Big Dog said on 26 Feb 2008 at 11:12 am:

Perhaps some of the “rule of law” folks could slow
    down their lynch mob postings and remember not
    to rush judgement. Mr. Johnson is innocent until
    proven guilty in a court of law - just like you and me.

OHS, like every other HS, isn’t perfect, but it is better
    than most. My children are graduates and their education
    there helped them to achieve great success in college.
    They both agree, OHS gave them a first rate academic
    foundation.

49. ThinkAboutIt said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:12 pm:

I am with JimmyV on this one…

I feel bad for the guy if it does turn out to not be true…but until that time, I hope he haas no access to any more kids.

This is a case where I would error on the side of caution and “punish” him by not allowing him to return to work until this is all settled.

That being said, in a case as high proflie as these are, I would think that the Police would have built a pretty solid case before charging. I am not sure that this would just be a he said she said deal and I would find it hard to believe that a 13 year would have anything to benefit by making this up. However, he does have a reason to deny it, if he in fact has.

I am glad that he left a positive impression on his former students…but how often do people keep their work life and personal life seperate. How often do we hear of someone abusing a child at home and everyone outside of the home says “I would have never thought he would do that, he was such a nice guy”. I believe that is exactly what Jeff Dahmers neighbors said.

I guess I tend to see the negative side of people….so I tend to side with the authorities. But I would believe a teacher guilty before I would believe a child make this up.

50. MomOfSixBandStudents said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:32 pm:

Mr. Johnson has taught six of my children and many of them marched for OHS. He is a passionate, enthusiastic man who is completely devoted to his students and the music he teaches them. He is not known for being guarded or protecting himself from any possibility of “people thinking” something as he meets with students after school, will work with them one on one, will give them a ride home if they need it, will throw his arm around them if they’re upset about a performance, and yes, will hold out his open arms for little 12 year old girls when they throw themselves at him out of excitement for making All District Band. He has children of his own, twin daughters that same age, and every child he teaches becomes “his”… especially those who share that same enthusiasm for music. His love for these younger children is completely paternal in nature.

The older children (at the high school) are cherished and respected, even when he’s really hard on them during practice. He spends long hours with them working them so they’re ready for competition. In the 12 years I have known him, I have never heard of even ONE incident where he behaved inappropriately with a student. He is like a father hawk watching out over the girls on band trips to make sure the boys don’t get overzealous with being away from home and I have trusted him more than I would have trusted most teachers with my children in many situations because of his protective, self-controlled and respectful nature. He’s all about the kids and the music.

Sometimes, when children are now being raised learning all about “bad touches” we run the risk of fatherly affection or casual contact being taken wrong by a child. They are sometimes hypersensitive to situations that are not intended to be sexual in any way. There is a fine line, and all it takes is one little girl to say “He hugged me… and it creeped me out a little…” and the witch hunt is on.

The evidence they have that causes them to hold him without bond is that they found a stash of videotapes in his office, many of them labeled like “Susie Smith - 9th Grade.” Of course they believe he’s now made inappropriate videotapes of students.

What they will find, when they watch them, is hours and hours of audition tapes that he’s collected over the years from students who were unable to schedule audition time after school… and who made either an audio or videotape of themselves playing so they could audition for a “chair” position in the band. My kids have handed them in and so have many others. He’s not the most organized person on the planet, so it’s likely he has a couple of years worth of these things in his OHS office. I am stunned that he has to sit in jail while they review them all.

What Mr. J. is most guilty of is not protecting himself or being guarded enough about the way he interacts with his students or any child he knows, for that matter. He’s casual and warm and while some children take to that easily… others are more guarded themselves and it may “creep them out.” I think this is one little girl who “got creeped out” being raised by parents who have taught her to overreact to a situation like this and they continue to teach her this by overreacting now. The actual charges are not all that serious. The “incident” could be something as simple as him hugging her and she didn’t like it. Him covering his girls up as they slept and doing the same for her and it freaking her out, thinking he was trying to “cop a feel” or something while she slept.

My daughter is at school today, in tears at what the kids are saying about him. I can only imagine what his own little girls are going through today. If I thought, for one BRIEF moment, that any of this were worthy of all this suffering, I would be the first on the bandwagon saying “I knew he was like this… he creeped me out…” or whatever. I only hope that the truth and accuracy of everything comes out soon because every minute he sits in jail away from his family and every day he misses as a teacher is just more suffering for him and all who know him.

I’m just stunned that while kidnappers, rapists and drunk drivers can get out on bond… a man with a 20 year perfect teaching record who is charged with a misdemeanor charge of “attempting” something according to a child’s perception… must sit in jail without bond. Just stunned.

51. Batson D. Belfrey said on 26 Feb 2008 at 3:52 pm:

MomOfSix,

Thanks for the comments. That you have had years of experience with him and hold him in such high regard is a good sign that he may very well be innocent. As I said earlier, I sincerely hope that this is the case.

Thirty years ago, a new teacher came to my JHS, and this was his first teaching job. He was a drama teacher, fresh out of college. He quickly became one of the most popular teachers at my school. Everybody liked him. In addition to teaching, he was also an assistant football and baseball coach. He was a mentor, paying special attention to boys from broken homes. During the summer, he was active in community theater, and recruited students to perform or work as crew. His parents had a house on a lake, and there were summer cookouts and sleepovers. At our 20th, he was there and former students remarked just how much they had liked him as a teacher. Sound familiar?

Fast forward to two years ago. Allegations come out that he had been enticing and having sex with middle-school aged boys. He’d pick out some kid from a broken home, gain his trust, and manipulate him into having “consensual” sex. Students past and present refused to believe it, including me. But then former students started coming forward. Their stories were the same, and each had details regarding his MO that indicated that it had happened. The allegations spanned over 25 years, far too long for this to be “just talk”. I knew one of the adults who testified, as he had been a year or so behind me, and had hung around with my younger sister’s crowd. This teacher was guilty. It had happened. I still find it very hard to accept, but there is no doubt that he did it.

The point I am trying to make here is Mr. Johnson may very well be innocent, or he could be guilty. We shouldn’t rush to judgement either way. But, if he is found to be guilty, some, like MomOfSix may still have a hard time believing his guilt. If he is a pedophile (AND I AM NOT SAYING THAT HE IS), understand that they are master-manipulators. The “successful” ones choose their targets well. They spend a great deal of time “grooming” them, and they make their move when their target is ripe. Then, they use psychological tactics to keep their victims quiet. They don’t go after the kids who come from stable, loving families, who have involved parents with good relationships with their children (I would guess that MomOfSix has just this type of relationship). Predators go after the weak. They’ll pick out some kid with few friends and low self-esteem. That’s the way they operate. Again, not saying that Mr. Johnson did this. What I am saying is be prepared in case it’s proven that he did.

52. Just another student said on 26 Feb 2008 at 4:45 pm:

MomOfSixBandStudents, you have no idea how much your comment meant. It pretty much explained everything perfectly.

Mr. Johnson is exactly that kind of teacher. The one who expects a high level of commitment and achievement (why else would we be called “the sight and sound of excellence”?) He’s the kind of guy who will pull you aside and work with you until you have it perfect, and he’s a guy I feel completely comfortable around. And the line about hugging someone very excited about making All District band, well that hits home too. He’s helped me grow as a person in more ways than one, and I have so much to thank him for.

And about being overprotective about girls on band trips. That had me laughing quite a bit. Putting girls and boys on different floors of hotels, and not being able to sit beside the opposite gender on bus rides. We always viewed these as ridiculous.

And like you’re daughter, I was at school today, with tears in my eyes, listening to what everyone was saying. Most importantly, listening to what people were saying who didn’t know Mr. J in the least, saying they always thought he looked like that type of guy. It took all of my strength not to stand up and scream at them to just shut up.

And I know I’m not alone. At the moment the Osbourn band is a united force. Late last night it was decided to wear a band shirt to school today. I passed on some text messages, and woke up with about 20 more on my phone telling me the same thing. It was impossible not to smile at the others in the hallway.

The thing’s everyone is saying about the tapes is quite angering as well. I’d love to see the look on the accusers tapes when they go “OH LOOK AT THIS!” and take a listen, only to hear someone playing a chromatic scale exercise. The same applies to his computer. We’ve all been on it, numerous times. I hope they enjoy looking at old marching band show notes and reading band booster newsletters.

All in all, it’s unreal to even think about. Completely unable to be comprehended. It’s turning my world upside down, and I hate to think about what it’s doing to his family.

53. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 26 Feb 2008 at 4:52 pm:

Michael said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:17 am:

Sounds like the Duke boys. Where is Al Sharpton’s apology for wrecking their lives. Why isn’t he trying to help them get back their lives? Why doesn’t he pull a string or two to help them become productive again?

This is the problem I have with this type of issue. He is innocent until proven guilty. Looks like people are ready to hang him in the town square at high noon.
    ********************

54. FormerOHSBandStudent said on 26 Feb 2008 at 5:39 pm:

I have known Mr. J now for almost 10 years. I was first a student of his in 6th and 7th grade band and again in 9-12th grade. He is by far one of the teachers I have looked up to the most and someone I have visited often after graduation. I went on all 4 of my high school band trips and never once have I seen or heard of anything innappropriate going on. The comments about him being overprotective of the girls is absolutely true and the parents of the kids were very thankful of that.

I also knew Mr. J outside of school. His family was a member at our church in Manassas until he moved to Stafford after I graduated. His oldest son was a young member of our church choir which toured the country. His children adore him and he was a very active member of the church. Being someone who is also like staff at church, I was privy to a lot of conversations and not once did I hear anything about Mr. J.

I sincerely hope the aligations are false. I know his children must be devistated along with his wife. I could never picture Mr. J doing something like this. To me, its just very very sad.

55. Anonymous said on 26 Feb 2008 at 7:48 pm:

Ted Johnson is an upstanding guy. Until PROVEN innocent, I don’t believe this crap one bit. I hope once that he’s proven innocent, that he sues the family of this little bitch for all they’ve got. No person deserves to be put the under the public spotlight like teachers are.

56. AStudentTryingToMakeAPoint said on 26 Feb 2008 at 8:20 pm:

I am a student at Osbourn High as well, and I was also shocked. I was in band my freshman and sophomore year with Mr. J. This is so unbelievably uncharacteristic of Mr Johnson, I don’t even think a lot of you that don’t know him understand. He always had my back and was always there when I needed help with anything. He is always so sweet. Even after I quit band because I wasn’t into it anymore, he still would greet me in the hallway and ask how I was doing. He’s the type of man you just know you can go to if you need him. He is like a father figure to all of us. He has many inside jokes with us. He is overall a great man, and this, to me, is uncomprehensible…and like others have said, I’m not going to believe this for one minute until he is proven guilty, which, God willing, he won’t, and I won’t have to believe it.

I don’t think some of you understand what its like to be sitting in class and hearing classmates talking about him who don’t even know him. I heard other people in my class now talking about “pulling a Johnson” and it made me cry. Quite obviously, people are ignorant, and need to shut up about the situations they are ignorant about.

57. JimmyV said on 26 Feb 2008 at 11:22 pm:

Anonymous said on 26 Feb 2008 at 7:48 pm:

How dare you call that little girl a “bitch”. I hope the charges are not true, but what if they are? She is 13, maybe she was mistaken. Maybe she thought he was doing something wrong when all he was doing was being kind? If she is right or wrong you have no right to call her names. You should be ashamed and horse whipped.

58. ThinkAboutIt said on 27 Feb 2008 at 6:23 am:

Let me repeat what I said before…

What does a 13 year have to gain by making any of this up? Maybe she will have the pleasure of having to go through multiple court hearings and be laughed at or ridaculed by her peers….Hmmmmm.

What does a long standing member of the community with a good reputation and a family have to gain by lying about this incident….Hmmmmm.

You know, there are still people who defend Michael Jackson. There are people that believe that the numerous accused members of the clergy are innocent.

I am jaded….I will admit it. I am not ready to hang Johnson, but he doesnt get an automatic pass because his students or their parent are in denial. He is not guilty, yet…. but I dont see him as innocent yet either.

59. former student said on 27 Feb 2008 at 6:57 am:

So, here’s the thing - I was a student of Johnson’s in the early 90’s as well.
    And, truth told, he always struck me as a little creepy.
    But nothing he ever did to anyone bore out my opinions.
    I’ve been reading through the comments here, and the one that rang most true was the one mentioning the “Band comes first” attitude - that could be a real pain in the neck, but in the end it was probably the reason we were so good. And while I was there, at least, we were excellent. (also? the “no opposite genders on bus rides”? *so* glad that wasn’t true while we were there. I met my wife in band.)
    I’m willing and want to give him the benefit of the doubt until such time as evidence may prove incontrovertible. I hope it doesn’t - I hope he’s innocent. For his wife’s sake and his kids’ sake but mostly for his own sake. I want to believe in the best in him, whatever my personal feelings were.

60. former student said on 27 Feb 2008 at 7:01 am:

oh, and ThinkAboutIt - discussing this story with a friend of mine, they told me about a similar situation from when they were growing up about a young girl who made accusations against a coach at her parents’ direction. The parents were after the money, and eventually came clean when they ran out of money to pay the lawyers.
    So it’s possible.
    I’d hate to think that, but…
    that’s the real difficulty in all this. It’s not a case of “is this one person a criminal or not”, it’s a matter of “which one of these two parties is the monster”. Because either way, someone here has done something horrible. It’s difficult to stand behind anyone, because you don’t want to leave the wrong person alone.

I think the way you react to a case like this is a nice Rorschach test. Try and figure out what it’s telling you.

61. ThinkAboutIt said on 27 Feb 2008 at 7:27 am:

I tend to see the horrors in society on a daily basis…so I always will side with the victim until I see other wise. Even cases that get tossed out of court are usually because of technicalities and lawyer games, not becuase the offender is actually innocent.

You are correct though…it is possible she made it up. I guess for every 100 victims, there are one or two that are making things up.

I have worked with and do know Mr. Johnson. While nothing ever struck me as odd about him (well, more so than the usual band teacher), nothing surprises me anymore.

62. Angry Blackman! said on 27 Feb 2008 at 8:57 am:

I graduated from Osbourn and the staff there NOW is great. I do know first hand that there alot of kids (won’t say what race) that are NOT interested in learning and disrupt classes. young man I know all to well stated this and how these kids do nothing but interrupt the teachers and prevent others from learning. What can be done? Easy, rid the area of all illegals and the school system along with County schools will improve.

Got a neice and nephew at Weems Elementary , 2nd grade class has 24 kids, 2 blacks, 3 white and the rest Hispanic. The nephew is gifted and now bored because the class is held up because Jose, Pedro and Tito speak limited English and can’t learn quickly so the smart American kids must suffer. Back in the day, you had smart kids together, average kids together and those that are not to smart in remedial classes….this can’t be the case anymore because the schools are overcrowded with children of illegals who have done nothing but DUMB DOWN the curriculum. Sad but it is true.

Kudos to any teacher in our area whether it be Manassas City or PWC, they are now Being FORCED to teach in a environment that is out of wack.

63. ThinkAboutIt said on 27 Feb 2008 at 9:31 am:

Amen….thats the greatness in the “no child left behind” program.

More like “no child can get ahead” program.

64. Just another student said on 27 Feb 2008 at 3:22 pm:

“Until I see proof one way or the other, I would not want my kids at never land ranch (OHS band camp).”

Because that wasn’t a nasty remark in any way shape or form.

And about his students being in denial. Psft. We can’t deny what never happened, at least in our cases. We’re not sitting here and saying that girl is a liar, we’re just saying what we know to be true. Mr. Johnson is an amazing teacher and mentor. He’s always there in his office for anyone, and now the door is locked.

And also, band camp is hardly comparable to never land ranch. I was under the opinion that the ranch was created for child amusement, and band camp is marching outside in the august sun for 8 hours.

65. Old Manassas said on 27 Feb 2008 at 9:37 pm:

JimmyV

Old Manassas,

Thanks JimmyV, I knew the answer when I asked it….Maybe someone should check what’s going on in the schools where they live.

I must I really impressed with some of the comments made by the young people who commented. Its a shame the adults can’t act more like them.

66. JimmyV said on 27 Feb 2008 at 10:02 pm:

Greg,
    I am still waiting for your explanation. How is the school spinning out of control? What leadership needs to change? What law enforcement activity are you talking about? If you don’t know what you are talking about you ought to keep your mouth shut.
    How has the student performance dropped in the past few years? Have you looked at the scores? How does OHS SAT scores match up with others? You need to back up your statements.
    I hope Mr. Johnson is not guilty of what he has been accused, but if he is it has nothing to do with OHS.

67. Patty said on 27 Feb 2008 at 10:40 pm:

The newspaper report I read said he was being held without bond. That sounds serious to me.

68. anon said on 27 Feb 2008 at 11:59 pm:

Of course he must be presumed innocent until the law proves otherwise.

However, all the comments about being overly protective of girls are NOT going to help his case. That is a very typical sign of pedophile behavior. I thought the poor guy was just getting a terrible break but then when each person that knows him went overboard saying how over protective he was with girls specifically, it made me think otherwise.

Do a little research about pedophile behaviors and you will be surprised at what you find.

69. CurrentStudentMom said on 28 Feb 2008 at 7:06 am:

My son is a student of Mr. Johnson and came home Monday stunned. The principal came into the band room on Monday morning and didn’t say much. We didn’t find out until later that day what had happened. I know some students took home letters, but his students should have gotten those. We received ours the next day in the mail. I am devastated and have read everything on this. He is a great teacher and loved by most of his students, and has taken time with my son when he was having trouble with a song.

I find it really strange that during a sleepover, the girl was in the guest bedroom. I hope he was, in fact, just checking in on her and covering her up as mentioned on some websites. I feel really sad for all involved, including his family. I pray that the truth will come out very soon and I pray that he is found innocent. He is missed terribly by his students!

The students are doing registration for next year’s classes this week and my son put down band again in hopes that Mr. Johnson will be back. He’s not sure he wants to keep doing band if he doesn’t come back. That’s how much he is loved and missed.

Mr. Johnson and family, if you are reading these blogs, please be strong and know how much you are thought of and prayed for.

70. MomOfSixBandStudents said on 28 Feb 2008 at 9:26 am:

For “Current Student Mom” - My understanding is that the little girls had a spat during the sleepover and because it was too late for the guest to go home, she decided to stay in the guest room. I do believe that Mr. J. would have gone in to check on her, because he would already have been concerned about the argument between the two girls, especially if the guest had wanted to go home during the night.

My personal feeling is that if MRS. J. had been the one to go in the room… to check on the child and then cover her up, none of this would have happened… because if you wake up startled, feeling someone touching you, and you look up and see a Mom face there, it’s not creepy. You assume she’s doing the nurturing/caretaker thing and covering you up. If you look up and see a Dad face there, and it’s not YOUR dad and you’re a 13 year old girl, sometimes your mind just immediately goes to that place that says he was going to try something with you.

We’re taught to be SO cautious, as young females, that we’re constantly suspicious of most males, especially the adult ones. But… those who know Mr. J. know that he’s just as much a nurturer/caretaker as most moms. When his children were small, they would come to the band room just to watch their dad conduct after school practices. They attended all the concerts (sometimes with a nanny in tow once the twins were born and there were four little ones to manage) and they learned “concert manners” from an early age.

Mr. J. has been a stellar father, even in light of the extra hours he’s spent being a stellar teacher and surrogate father to hundreds of students over the last 20 years.

While there are some who suspect the guest child would have made up the whole story just to upset her friend because of the spat they’d had… I rather believe that she was arguing with her friend, went to bed upset, startled when she felt something touch her, and in her half-awake state and confusion… misread the situation. Mrs. J. has been criticized for taking her home while she was so upset. She was VERY upset and refused to talk to them. Mrs. J. was right in saying “You know what? She’s upset. I’m just going to take her home and let her mother help her to calm down and we can discuss this later.”

Even the mother wasn’t startled enough to feel that anything inappropriate was done. She asked what happened… he said he was covering her up… the child insisted she felt his hand on her buttock and thought he was trying to pull down her panties… he was trying to pull up the blanket that she’d rolled over on… the mother wasn’t sure enough about her child’s perception of the events to know what to do… so she called in a Detective from the Sheriff’s department to help her sort it all out just in case.

They chose to go the “safest” route and assume the child’s perception of events was closer to accurate. I think the “held without bond” given the events, the child’s description of what occurred, his position in the community and the actual charges… is just absurd and over the top.

The bottom line on all of this is that even in the court affidavit, the child says that she felt this and thought that… but states that nothing actually occurred. Her panties stayed on. He didn’t touch her privately. When she said “NO” to him, he just looked at her, a bit confused at why she’d said that. The misdemeanor sexual battery charges shouldn’t hold because it implies restraint, whether physical, mental or verbal, but by her own admission she said “NO” in a firm voice, then jumped up out of the bed and went down the hall to her friend’s room. Clearly she was not restrained or even verbally intimidated into restraint (as if he’d said “Don’t move” or “Don’t leave the room”) so that charge will not hold.

As for the other charge? It was “attempted” not “completed” and in order to prove attempt, one must prove intent if there’s no real evidence of the intent. We already know there’s no evidence of the “attempt” because then the charges would be different (like if there were scratches or bruising on the child, even self-inflicted while trying to stop the act.) I don’t think it will stick because there’s no way to prove intent… unless those video audition tapes have something far more revealing on them then that Missy in the 10th grade still can’t play a C minor scale worth a diddle. Somehow, after all the many hours my kids and others clocked in that band room I hardly think they all missed the fact that TJ was filming porn in a nearby room.

Given the child’s own affidavit… and the lack of evidence… and the overwhelming community support for Mr. J. should they choose to call in any character witnesses… his lack of any sort of prior record… and the fact that even if they find something on his computers chances are they’d have students sheepishly stepping up to admit they were responsible for it… I think he’s just sitting in jail needlessly now while they filter through hours of audition tapes.

While I admire the child’s courage in being vocal and assertive about what she perceived as an inappropriate act by an adult toward her… I’m hoping she’ll think over the actual events carefully in her own mind and realize that she may have been mistaken about what happened because of her own half-awake state and being startled by the sensation of something touching her.

71. old time said on 28 Feb 2008 at 9:59 am:

Kudos to the many who are following the American way; innocent until PROVEN otherwise. Mom of 6 above has a pretty good analysis.

Greg, I continue to be disappointed in your consistent attacks on the City schools. You started by intimating that the alledged incident was being covered up by the City, yet these allegations did NOT occur in the City or in our schools. Some posters are berating the schools for mailing letters; would these people rather have a child learn of the incident in a letter that goes in their backpack (and may never again see the light of day). I applaud the schools for trying to get parents involved and mailing a letter home.

As a city resident and parent of an OHS student I know the current staff, principal and Board do not put up with any of the “out of control” antics you elude to. Previous principals and assistant principals may have, but I have heard several of the current School Board state publically that they have no tolerance for drugs, violence, disrespect, bullying, etc in the schools. You even stated that in your example of a spanish teacher, she was gone in a few months. I ask you, where else does government move so quickly and effectively?

The School Board, Superintendent and all of the teachers are doing an excellent job dealing in an unfair environment. The Federal and State government have made the education mess, and our local government is reluctant to raise taxes to fund the education the federal and state laws requiure for all children (even the illegal alien ones).

Being a teacher used to be a respected and honorable profession when I was a child. Now we ridicule them and blame them for all failure.

I long for the good old days….

72. Just another parent said on 28 Feb 2008 at 11:29 am:

Mr. Johnson has been the teacher most influential to my child’s development and happiness at OHS. He runs a very tight ship with the Band and Marching Bands and in all ways has been an excellent role model.

There has been a question of “why would a girl make this up”. I would point out that throughout history there have been many examples of teenage girls (who often have VERY active imaginations) doing just that. Read the history on the Salem Witch Trials for one outstanding example of this phenomena. A few years ago in Maryland a GROUP of girls got together to slander one of the teachers because there were angry over some perceived problem. More recently the Nifong/Duke players comes to mind. Why indeed?

Mr. Johnson is a teacher with 20 yrs. of service to our Manassas community. He has put in endless hours of free tutoring, working with the Band students in 105 degree weather in August, and helped them work through the various problems and dramas of high school students. I have no doubts whatsoever about my child’s safety when Mr. Johnson is around and actually would trust him to protect the children in his care at all costs.

One blogger mentioned the caution on the Band trips with the male and female students as evidence of pedophilia. I have attended many band meetings and can say that this caution has been urged by the parents of the students, and not particularly by Mr. Johnson. So let us stop that ugly line of doubt right now.

The comments about the tapes and videos needs to be addressed. Probably every student has at least one tape present in Mr. Johnson’s office. I hope the Stafford County Sheriff has to listen and to watch each and every one. Completely and at top volume, I should add. It should be one of the most excrutiating experiences of his career–esp. on the audition tapes and exams of the beginner students!

Mr. Johnson, if you or any of your family is reading this, we miss you, and want you back as soon as possible. The Band kids have been devastated and are behind you 100%. They all wore their t-shirts and ate lunch together to show their support. We have all had several talks on the topic of “when bad things happen to good people” and this event has shattered their trust in law officers, and the judicial system.

73. Student said on 28 Feb 2008 at 4:49 pm:

Wow. Angry Blackman and ThinkAboutIt: The minority population in Manassas City has absolutely NO relevance to this situation. Just because someone is of Hispanic background does not mean that they do not want to learn and does not make them illegal. I am a white, teenage girl who is in school with the children of whom you cannot seem to speak kindly. And I am more tolerant and on topic than you are. If you want to discuss how the different minorities and races are affecting Manssas find a different blog.

74. redawn said on 28 Feb 2008 at 9:59 pm:

Just another parent said on 28 Feb 2008 at 11:29 am:

WOW!

The best description of “cause and effect” for those who do not CHERISH the RIGHT of ” Innocent until proven guilty” = THE true GEM of AMERICA!

It just needed to be repeated ( in this case, past, present or FUTURE)

There are a lot of GOOD people that have fought and continue to fight for the good/ better of America on this blog and need to be reminded that ALL those EFFORTS can get shot right down with a tone of forgetting the MOST important thing………….

75. Dolph said on 29 Feb 2008 at 10:14 am:

Just another parent has stated, “We have all had several talks on the topic of “when bad things happen to good people” and this event has shattered their trust in law officers, and the judicial system.”

I believe everyone was just doing what they had to do based on the knowledge they were dealing with at the time. And the judicial system has not had time to work.

I know many people are hurting because of what is happening to a loved and trusted teacher. I hate to see anything like this happen to an educator. It destroys the underpinnings of both our trust system and our value system. In particular, incidences like this tend to keep men out of the profession all together.

A teacher crisis is looming on the horizon. There simply will not be enough to go around. Don’t wait until something bad happens to one of your favorite teachers, let them know now. It will make their day. You don’t even have to sign your name.

76. CurrentStudentMom said on 29 Feb 2008 at 5:49 pm:

Unfortunately, 2 more girls have come forward saying they were molested. Here is the website: http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2008/022008/0229st1

This doesn’t look good at all for Mr. Johnson and I’m really upset about this. We will have to wait until these are resolved and hope for the best.

If anyone finds out anything, please post!

77. Poor Richard said on 29 Feb 2008 at 5:52 pm:

Very sad, but more charges have been filed today.
    Web sites:

- The Stafford County Sheriff
    - Manassas Journal Messenger

78. MomOfSixBandStudents said on 29 Feb 2008 at 8:29 pm:

I just saw that. I’ve always been a “hope for the best, but prepare for the worst” sort of person and I know there’s always the possibility that someone will disappoint me/all of us.

But still… I would have to see the affidavits to know what is alleged by these other two girls. No one wants to believe this could be possible… but with charges mounting we may have to face some sort of odd reality.

Please, God… let this not be the reality.

My thanks to CurrentStudentMom for posting the information, even though reading it must have been terribly painful and posting it, even more so.

79. AnotherMom said on 29 Feb 2008 at 9:45 pm:

Open your eyes, folks. I guess “old time” yearns for the days when girls who were molested or raped either misunderstand the attacker’s intentions or asked for it. I am so sorry the Osbourn band children are so traumatized by this that they have lost trust in the judicial system, as “Just Another Parent” suggests. Will they continue to be so distrustful if Mr. Johnson is found to be guilty? I would hope parents could get the stars out of their eyes long enough to do what is best to protect their precious children, even if it means giving up that shot at first chair.

I had a child in Mr. Johnson’s classes and marching band several years ago. My child made a dumb–and harmless–mistake one day. Rather than calling me to deal with the problem, Mr. Johnson went straight to the principal, and my child was suspended for a few days, and suffered greatly for a long time afterwards. Mr. Johnson stood by and refused to deal with the sycophantic band-mom cows (some of whom I am sure are in his cheering section here) who treated my kid with overt contempt for the rest of the year. Several band members followed the adults’ lead and were openly abusive, until my child finally lost heart and quit band altogether.

If Johnson is innocent, so be it–he’ll still have a blot on his reputation to deal with (my kid can explain to him how much that sucks). But if he is at all guilty, I hope that the same disproportionate standard of justice is applied to him that my otherwise rule-abiding, straight-A student had to endure and has never forgotten.

80. JimmyV said on 1 Mar 2008 at 9:59 am:

Hey AnotherMom,
    What did your kid do? Is this a case of ‘not my kid’? You sound like a bitter lady because a teacher went to the administration like he was supposed to do and did not give your child a break after doing something wrong.

I no longer feel sorry for Mr. Johnson, it’s everyone else involved that I am worried about, mainly his accusers. Tell your kid not to do something wrong and bad things won’t happen.

81. Dolph said on 1 Mar 2008 at 10:50 am:

JimmyV,

You took the words right out of my mouth about ‘not my kid.’

————————————————————————-
    Innocent until proven guilty. On the other hand, no one should have everyone’s unquestionable trust. Not now, not back in ‘the good old days.’

I remember being dumbfounded, back ‘the good old days,’ when I went away to college and learned how many girls had stories to tell about Uncle So and So or some creep they knew who was a pervert. I had no idea such things were so wide-spread. It does happen and it happens more frequently when children feel THEY will be blamed for others attempting to take liberties.

This is what happened to my best friend. She was afraid to tell on her uncle. Everyone loved Uncle W. She figured that her family would think she was lying or had done something to make this happen.

Thank goodness we live in more open times. Trust but verify. Always.

82. AnotherMom said on 1 Mar 2008 at 11:59 am:

Without going into the details, we met with the superintendant, who also agreed the punishment was ridiculous, cut it short and sent my child back to school. I didn’t say “not my kid,” but that something stupid was done but that the punishment was way out of proportion to the incident once the facts were brought to light. The real problem was the way my kid was essentially ostracized after this event, and that Mr. Johnson allowed this behavior to continue, even among the adults in charge. The point is that he is not perfect, and we have to allow for the fact that these three children might possibly have been injured somehow. Just because he is popular does not make him a saint. Tell Mr. Johnson to keep his hands off little girls, Jimmy V, and maybe “bad things won’t happen.”

83. JimmyV said on 1 Mar 2008 at 1:57 pm:

There won’t be any little girls in prison for Mr. Johnson to keep his hands off of. You didn’t say “not my kid” but it sure seems that is the way you acted. If Johnson took your child and the incident to the administration then the punishment must have come from the princical washing Johnson’s hand of it.

84. AnotherMom said on 1 Mar 2008 at 3:42 pm:

Jimmy, you’ve completely missed the point. It’s nice that you can have the blind faith that the administration/teacher is always right, and the kid always wrong, but I find that attitude very dangerous, indeed. There is always more than one side to a story. No child should have to endure the kind of contempt and ostracism my kid had to put up with, particularly from the adults in charge, and particularly when the student handbook expresses a “zero tolerance” of such behavior that is rarely enforced. I can assure you, although you apparently won’t believe me, that the infraction was very minor, and the kid did not deserve the abusive words and attitudes of the adults in charge–and several band members– for the rest of the year. Mr. Johnson did not see a problem with this behavior at all. You don’t see any irony here?

85. just me.. said on 1 Mar 2008 at 4:48 pm:

as a student, i hate hearing things like this, innocent or not, OHS is given a bad rep. I am one to make fun of another school at basketball games and such, at OP i know we chanted things about their teachers being drug dealers. and everyone who says osbourn is spinning out of control is almost correct. there have been numerous situations that have made our school look bad. the auditorium, a teacher hitting a student, a teacher bringing a gun on school property, and a french teacher having sex with a student. now this. if he is innocent or not, it is still amo for the public to think we are spinning out of control. however, what can we do? every school has things that go wrong, but ours have been frequent and recent.

86. anonymous said on 2 Mar 2008 at 9:47 am:

Mr. J’s wife is a lawyer, and she is the breadwinner. He is the one who takes care of the kids, takes them camping, etc. It makes perfect sense to me that he would have been to be the one to get up and check on the girl. He’s a daddy all the way.

I was his student for four years and went to church with him for a great deal more.

Everyone is capable of having two sides, but I’ve only ever seen one of Mr. J. He has two sons, and two daughters. The daughters are twins and some of the scariest little girls I have ever met - hyperactive all the way. I say this because they came to various band events, etc and well… they like to play pranks. But anyway, I would have gone to sleep in the guest room as well.

No matter what happened, I have been greatly disturbed by this incident, but that does not change the memories I have of Mr. J, and it never will. I have accepted that if he did molest those young girls, it is not the same man that I knew.

Oh, and a little history of Osbourn principals…

Mr. Graham left the year before I became a Freshman. That was my big sister’s freshman year in 2002. By that point, he had pretty much lost control and didn’t care because he was leaving.

Then a wonderful man by the name of Dr. Pope became our principal. He was principal for the four years that I was there, and he did an excellent job in turning school discipline around. He stepped down in 2006 because his wife became superintendent of the school board, and they did not feel it would be professional for him to continue as the high school principal.

I do not remember who the new principal is, but my younger brothers are there now, as are many wonderful teachers whom are now my friends and mentors, and there is no problem at that school. It has been on a steady incline.

87. Michael said on 4 Mar 2008 at 10:14 pm:

What bothers me most is that this incident and all its details are made public. The police and the law enforcement community should do this “investigation” in private, and the details should only be announced after a verdict is reached. The public should keep the information private too, and truely take the “safe” approach as innocent untilo proven guilty of a sex crime. Even defining “attempted or “liberties” has no concept in most people’s minds other than “rape of (3) 13 year old girls. I doubt a molester would have stopped at just “touching” panties. We will see in time who the guilty party is, 3 lying 13 year olds trying to protect their reputation among other 13 year old social networks (which are extensive and life itself), or a real molester who has gone un-noticed for years because he has always stopped short of “rape”. You trash a man’s life who may be innocent or guilty only have you have found him guilty. Same goes for the girls. It is entirely possible the two new girls are collaborating to protect or support the first one so she is not humiliated in front of the entire school. At some point you can rest assured a 13 year old girl is going to say anything and work her network of covert friends to protect herself from humiliation even if it means sending an innocent man to jail. Men today get all the abuse and instant declaration of guilty if they even look at a woman wrong today. Women are taught today to claim that every form of “touch” even from loving fathers is wrong if not explicitly given permission. Men will do well to learn to never touch or look at any female without her explicit permission. Isn’t that sad? I’m sure that makes some women have a sense of real power over men, and some women will suffer from the lack of some men ever being able to express true affection any more for fear of being accused of date rape or molestation. Its a sad world some “social engineers” have created for our young boys to grow up in. They can no longer just be themselves. They have to live in fear for how some women will spead lies about them and not be able to prove they are innovent. My son just had one just incident like that last week, when a girl got mad at him for “how” he kissed her. She didn’t like it because it creeped her out, and she had been drinking. He had not. I wonder what her parents taught her, about his innocent attempt at a kiss, from someone apparently willing, until she was sober and could get mad at him. Now I know how easy it is to accuse someone of date rape.

We shall see, we shall see, who the real monster is here, the man or the girls.

I still feel sorry for the families. Neither of them probably know who is really lying…. I predict cases like this are going to become extremely common in the future, and very tough to prove who is innocent.

88. aNONYMOUS said on 5 Mar 2008 at 4:22 pm:

I wouldn’t worry too much about guys getting accused of stuff like that. More often than not, a girl claims she was date raped and just gets laughed at anyway. If you put yourself in that situation, e.g. you are drunk and alone with a guy, people look at you like you’re an idiot anyway. It’s a fine line.
    Anyway, I don’t think so much that the girls are lying. I think they may have misunderstood what was happening, but that is just from my recollection of being thirteen. I don’t know anything about these girls or their parents to pass any type of judgment on them. At this point, I’m just putting faith into the judicial system to find hard facts, present them, and make a decision based on them.
    As for all of the coverage, well, that’s the media for you. If you don’t like it, uhh… don’t open your ears or your eyes.
    seriously though, this is why I don’t watch the news and why I shy away from newspapers. I only know about this case because I knew Mr. Johnson, and word got around to me from others who knew him.
    ta

89. Moo said on 6 Mar 2008 at 7:08 pm:

I think it has all been said, but here’s my two cents:

The girls experienced something uncomfortable and they were right to tell an adult. Now, it is up to the justice system to determine whether Ted’s behavior was criminal; let us hope they can be unbiased. And whether the action is determined criminal or not, let us hope the girls experience healing.

Meanwhile, Ted is deemed innocent until proven guilty. Whether Ted is inoocent or guilty, he and his family will bear the burden of these allegations for the rest of their lives. Whether Ted is inoocent or guilty, he has given more than 20 years of service to the Manassas community and given inspiration and leadership to many, many students along the way.

So who am I to judge? A former band-mom cow who has travelled on band trips. As a chaperone, I was proud to be with OHS and as a mother, I was confident my child was being treated with respect when I wasn’t around. Ted’s rules, from free time to bus time to bed time, were reasonable and sent a message to the teens that their safety was his first concern… and the reputation of the school his second. The teens, for the most part, were respectful. For students who think his rules were too strict: I have seen other band directors/parents tape hotel doors shut or hang newspaper in front of the doors, giving the teens a clear message that they simply weren’t trusted to exercise self-control.

Ted’s road rules were consistent with his behavior toward the students. He may not have been everyone favorite teacher, but he set standards and held students to it. He has run a quality band program and he has given students the personal attention that situations like this scare other teachers from giving.

May we remember that he has done so much good, no matter how bad the news reports become. And may we remember that we all walk with feet of clay.

90. anomonous said on 7 Mar 2008 at 5:18 pm:

i know this man vry personaly for all my liife he is like a father andi know it was a miss understanding people out ther just trust me i know

91. Michael said on 7 Mar 2008 at 9:40 pm:

I still think that the punishment of trashing a mans life so far doesn’t fit the crime so far. This man’s life is trashed, forever, unless he can prove without a shadow of a doubt his innocence, and you know how hard it is to take any form of “verbal” he said she said proof and turn it into anything tangible and certain. What happens without “physical” proof (like a video tape of the act or evidence of rape” becomes circumstantial evidence which historically has put good and innocent people in jail by collaborated lying. Remember juries have to prove beuond a shadow of a doubt a man’s guilt first, not that they “believe it is “possible” it occured, yet the punishment has already happened by putting him in jail and exposing gossip to the world. Then there is the issue of the “victim, never being held accountable for making the accusation without solid evidence in the first place, or accountable for not thinking about the consequences of a false accusation before making one. Women are taught that these “crimes” they have no accountability for “lying”, “misunderstanding” or “libel”, just to ensure women are always protected, but not to ensure men are protected. The men are supposed to just accept the “accusation” consequences, without any recourse to what it does to thier lives, or holding the accuser up to the same humiliation, trauma and damage standard. What concept of accountability is protecting innocent men from false accusation? and Trauma damage caused by a false accusation, so that people better have some very clar evidence before they can accuse someone and create this trauma in anyones life. There is traum on both side, of the same magnitude, just not politically correct, if all you want to protect are women. The “girls” or any accuser for that matter should share the same scale and scope of the “accusation” punishment of humiliation” at the same level of trauma until one of them is “proven” innocent and the other guilty. This is not a simple one-sided issue when it comes to trashing a person’s life, either through false accusation or victim perpetration.

If “touching” is not a crime when permission is given, then why is it a crime on the scale and scope of “murder” when it is not given? For example what is the jail time for “rape” compared to “murder”. compared to “liberties”, compared to “assault”, “battery”, verbal or otherwise? If consensual sex when not drunk is not a crime, and consensual sex when drunk is termed “rape”, when the victim re-considers what transpired when sober, has not the accusers life been “traumatized”on the same scale and scope (or more) as the person who has been “un-coherently” engaged in sex? Has the “trauma” a 13 year old girl may experience because her panties were “brushed” when he pulled up the bed-sheets being made equivalent to the “trauma” an innocent man has experienced until innocence or guilt is unequivically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt? Far harder for the innocent to prove he is not guilty, than the accuser to prove he is “guilty” without “hard” evidence. What is her punishment for getting the message wrong? What is his punishment if he intentionally touched her or commited some “liberty”? Is that a rape punishment? Or a not so damaging punishment, that will never compensate him for the “trauma” of the jail time and accusation, or public humilitation? Does the “trauma” punishment fit the crime? Does date rape “trauma” punishment ever fit the crime.? What about the “trauma” of the innocent young man accused of date rape and cannot prove he was innocent? How do you punish that? How do you prove that without circumstantial, he said, she said collaboration from your friends, family and associates?

Like I said we will see who the real victim is: the girls or the man. Only hard evidence can prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt, I currently do not hear of any “hard evidence”. When that is known with more than circumstantial evidence will the punishment then fit the crime(s)? Our social engineering society has not yet thought about how to protect the innocent when it happens to be a “male”. They are currently only concerned about protecting the innocent when it happens to be “female”, with no penalty for false accusation, or mistake, just to make sure an accuser never treats this accusation lightly, as if there is never a consequence, for “well maybe, but I’m not sure, but I’m angry”. Since when does “angry” or “it creeps me out”, constitute a “crime”.

92. Michael said on 7 Mar 2008 at 10:05 pm:

If the girls prove he is a molester, then and only then should he be punished, and only with “evidence” that clearly established guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt” It’s a shame grand juries do not have to follow this standard in these types of cases. Society has yet to define and sympathize with male “trauma” and come up with a suitable punishment when the perpetrators are female…

If he really turns out to be quilty, then and only then should he be punished. And then, he won’t have my sympathy. If it was the other way around “men accusing women of finanical theft trauma”, or “selling themselves for money and glamor by taking a man’s resources without permission” and the trauma in a man’s life THAT causes, no-one currently give’s a rat’s butt about that.
    No one has yet put a level of punishment on the trauma of that, by advocating for congressional and legal laws to protect the innocent, from trauma as “defined” only by the “innocent” and one gender perspective over another as in the case of “financial date-theft trauma” “being called a cheapskate or worse because you won’t buy me what I want trauma”, and “divorce-theft trauma”, and “take my kids away without permission trauma”.

93. Michael said on 7 Mar 2008 at 10:13 pm:

When all of us are treated equally as ONLY based on unbiased “individual rights” not preference treatment based on gender, religion, racial or ethnic group affiliation by laws written just for gender groups, ethnic groups, religious groups, or racial groups, then we will truly be a society concerned about the general welfare of all and the well being of everyone the same. Not just what politically correct group happened to have the lobbiest paid for by government funding for the special interest groups to look out for their own special group interest and have congress pass special laws made and enforced just for them. Everyone needs to be treated the same, until the verdict is made. Have you ever looked at the 1950/60’s, married woman’s act? Have you ever wondered why there is no equivalent “married man’s act” to protect men equally from trauma, and personal and financial ruin?

94. Moo said on 9 Mar 2008 at 11:07 am:

To Anonymous:

I too have great affection for Ted. He has been a strong, positive role model in my child’s life. As someone who works with children, I have appreciated and respected his approach with teens because he acts with genuine care. As a parent I have admired his interaction with his children because of his warmth and pride in them–the warmth and pride that was returned by his children.

With that said, we all can make mistakes. Whatever Ted did that Saturday morning upset the girl. Someone like Ted will feel compasion for the girl because her feelings are real even if her perception is wrong.

Please consider this for now: from what is known now, neither Ted nor the girls are the “monsters”. It’s simply a sad, painful situation.