video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Goofiest Letter To The Editor Of The Month

By Greg L | 25 February 2008 | Illegal Aliens, Prince William County | 42 Comments

The local illegal alien lobby is definitely getting desperate by the looks of a letter to the editor in the MJM today by local Reconquisata advocate Ruben Pineda.  The illegal alien lobby has put away the honey, and is now trying to attract flies with vinegar in trying to bully everyone into promoting amnesty for illegal aliens by calling everyone racist.  Yeah, that should work pretty well.

Pineda’s letter starts out with something easily proven false.  He curiously claims that illegal aliens can somehow adjust their legal status and be awarded a Social Security Number that is the same as a previously issued Taxpayer Identification Number, despite all TINs begin with the numeral nine.  In actuality, Social Security Numbers that begin with an eight or a nine are invalid. Since many employers do not make any attempt to screen Social Security Numbers for validity, unsophisticated document forgers will use a client’s TIN as their Social Security Number, and since they haven’t been flagged as invalid very often by employers, they haven’t figured out that this doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t, work.  I really have to wonder about how Ruben Pineda came to this misconception, since a possible explanation is that he has personal experience with low-quality fake identity mills.

In the next sentence, Pineda claims that since “many” illegal aliens are engaging in tax evasion, it’s a good idea to grant them blanket amnesty for tax evasion in addition to blankent amnesty for violating our federal immigration laws because “politicians” are interested in denying access by illegal aliens as required by federal law and Virginia Code § 63.2-503.1.  Let’s get this straight: because people are breaking the law, the right answer here is to not hold them accountable for breaking the law, a policy that in itself would violate the law?  I think now we can understand why anarchists are so popular among the illegal alien lobby, because only someone who has zero respect for even the concept of law could every seriously consider such inanity.

But there’s a justification for all of this.  It’s because everyone who thinks that wanton violation of the law should result in penalties is racist.  Yes, when you can’t somehow see past the point that illegal doesn’t mean legal (oh, woe is us who can’t make such dramatic and acrobatic leaps of logic) the inescapable conclusion is that you are a racist.  All of you.  Yet the illegals “came in peace” according to Mr. Pineda, despite that they have killed more American Citizens than we’ve suffered casualties in the Iraq war.  Pineda contends that since much of the violence is inflicted by illegal aliens lands on immigrant communities, it is somehow less disturbing than if they were murdering a different population group.  It’s not racist to suggest that the value of an immigrant’s life is less than that of a native citizen.  But it is racist to demand that they’re held to the same legal standards as the rest of us.  How do they ever come up with this stuff?

In the end, Pineda takes MJM readers to task for demanding that illegal aliens assimilate into our society while not adequately welcoming them, presumably by granting them blanket amnesty for tax evasion and immigration violations.  I haven’t a clue as to why Mr. Pineda believes anyone wants to assimilate illegal aliens into our society rather than have them held to account for their unlawful behavior and deported.  To the extent that critics speak about cultural issues, the complaint is more frequently an expression of frustration that American citizens are being bullied into assimilating to a foreign culture by the political correctness crowd, instead of having recent immigrants assimilate into American culture as their forebearers did.  For that proportion of immigrants who are illegal aliens, and specifically that proportion, assimilation is not the issue.  The issue clearly is that they must comply with the law as the rest of us do, and if they fail to do so, they need to suffer the consequences as we know we would.

Mr. Pineda wants us to just not pay attention to the carnage and blight that surrounds us in our communities, and be good little socialists that meekly accept that our every inclination is underpinned by racism that prevents us from understanding that a TIN is an SSN, that the proper way to address lawlessness is with amnesty, and that foreign culture is superior to our own.  If he’s trying to win converts to his side of the argument, I doubt his means of doing so are going to be very effective, even if his logic made any sense at all.

1. park'd said on 25 Feb 2008 at 1:49 pm:

Same old racist drivel. My reply to that letter (which no doubt will not be published) is below:

Mr. Pineda:

It’s a cultural thing, not a racist thing. Learn English, Stop living 15 to a house, stop trashing the neighborhoods where you live, stop cat-calling women, stop hanging out at 7-11’s urinating on the walls, stop driving without a license and insurance, stop stealing identities, stop stealing emergency healthcare, stop crashing the school systems with your illegal kids that also don’t speak any English, stop lowering the wages of other blue collar Americans because you work for tax-free peanuts, etc, etc and you might be amazed at how the American people start to take to you. This diatribe is the ramblings of a man who thinks that people actually still believe this race/racist bating tripe. Be a man, do the right and lawful thing and have some honor Mr. Pineda. I also suggest that you give this sound advice to your brethren.

2. CitizenofManassas said on 25 Feb 2008 at 1:50 pm:

While, he may only have spoken for himself, Pineda, I believe, has shown the true color of illegals and their supporters in his letter. Illegals and their supporters like to say illegals are otherwise law abiding, how they love this Country, want to assimilate, want to come out of the shadows etc, Yet, his letter shows just the opposite, with him wanting to overlook multiple crimes and then for good measure, adds if those against illegal aliens do not like it, tough.

Do we really want to reward and accept people into the fold of this Country who have no concept of right and wrong? Do we want to grant Citizenship to people who obviously will just continue to break the law and demand more and more from their “adopted” Country?

3. starryflights said on 25 Feb 2008 at 1:50 pm:

It’s a shame that Pineda doesn’t see fit to go back to these “poor” Latino countries and help the people there. It is a coward he is that he continues to push illegal aliens (criminals every one) on to our society. We have been taken advantage of for far too long and it must stop. We must NEVER allow another Amnesty to pass for illegal aliens. They have no respect for our laws, our people and our country. GO HOME!

4. Angry Blackman! said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:16 pm:

This guy has written more than 1 letter to the editor and notice how in the end he brings up that “we are busy making cash”. I like how the jerk continues to think that HSM is a organization of just “whites” and maybe he needs to read the Post and see how “blacks” are onboard in ridding the area of illegals.

Keep up the pressure and it you notice, more and more of the laws being introduced are being upheld! :)

5. Mr. Anon said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:22 pm:

I have also written letters to the editor that have never made it print. I guess the editor is doing quite a bit of editing. Whatever, it’s their paper, and they will never get another penny of my money.

6. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:23 pm:

Is the “You Don’t Speak for Me” organization (who are legal hispanics against illegal immigration) racist also Mr. Pineda? Maybe you can learn something from them about what being an American is all about.

7. Mr. Anon said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:31 pm:

He’s baiting to try and get a reaction. I would recommend that no one give him the answer he is looking for. As I said on another post, we should be single minded in taking ACTION to take care of this problem through voicing our opinions and holding our government servants accoutible for their actions. The majority has started to speak, but we need to speak loudly and in full number.

Call your representatives on all levels. Make visits to offices, be polite and let your opinions be known. Refuse to patronize websites, radio stations, newspapers, and other businesses that sympathize with illegal behavior; let them know why. Change your bank if they allow customers to open bank accounts with identification issued by a foreign government. Stay away from the big box stores that cater to illegals and those who cannot speak English (US Citizens are required to speak English and should not need signs in spanish).

Don’t stoop to Senor Pineda’s level or fall into his trap.

8. 999 said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:42 pm:

starryflights said on 25 Feb 2008 at 1:50 pm:

They will never do that unless they are forced to. They are living the good life here with their cell phones, pimped out cars, Wal-mart, Sears and Costco. It is evident they are only here for the $$$$$$$ and everything they can buy. In this country they are ‘KING OF THE HILL” and in their homeland they would be just another “schmuck.” Yo Primero (me first) is thier motto!

9. G Man said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:42 pm:

Greg,
    I recommend you send your rebuttal to the MJM, perhaps as a guest columnists so you may exceed the word count of LTEs.

10. 999 said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:50 pm:

starryflights said on 25 Feb 2008 at 1:50 pm:
    We must NEVER allow another Amnesty to pass for illegal aliens.

Sad to say, that is just Ms. Pelosi and her “gang” have in mind — sooner, rather than later. I wondered what the status of Heath Shuler’s “SAVE ACT” was and this article in today’s Wash Times describes where it is in the process and why it is going nowhere. The Dumbocrats are trying to pull ANOTHER FAST ONE!

11. MP Resident said on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:05 pm:

“It is evident they are only here for the $$$$$$$ and everything they can buy.”

Which makes them different from your average neo-conservative how…?

12. Bayberry resident said on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:11 pm:

Now I know many of you think I am an illegal alien apologists because of my previous posts. However, if you go back and read many of my other posts I clearly say that any illegal alien should be sent back to the country they came from. I read this article and was completly amazed. This so called man seems to say that hispanic violence is ok because it is usually against other hispanics, you really have to be kidding me!! It is people like this that I understand why people on here gets so frustrated with me. I really don’t understand why they think they should be allowed to come here illegally anyway. I can’t go to Mexico illegally and do the things they do here. While I don’t always agree with many of the posts on here or even many of the ways that are being taken to fight this battle, I do understand the frustration. I stand by my stance that we do need to be careful the battles that we choose so that caring people do not choose to walk away from the battle becoming frustrated. This is why was so upset with the post about the house under construction in MP. I feel this is not the appropriate battle to be taking on now as we don’t even know the circumstances behind the construction. I apologize to everyone that I upset, but I do want something to change and it is people like Ruben Pineda that will force a change because even if he doesn’t realize it, he is making the case for people who are against illegal immigration.

13. Batson D. Belfrey said on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:14 pm:

I love it when the pro-illegal groups send letters to the editor, holds rallies, strickes, makes a circus of local government meetings, etc. It only impresses upon reasonable people the need crack down on illegals. When someone using lunatic-logic makes arguments like Mr. Peneda’s it inspires people to act…against the very agenda he is advocating for.

Good Stuff.

14. 999 said on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:36 pm:

MP Resident said on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:05 pm:
    “It is evident they are only here for the $$$$$$$ and everything they can buy.”

Which makes them different from your average neo-conservative how…?

These are not your “average” people. They are here illegally and what drives them is M-O-N-E-Y. I read somewhere that most of the illegals in this country had jobs prior to sneaking in. True, they were not making the money they are here but the lure of worldy comforts and treasures is what is driving them, not that they want to be U.S. citizens. Why else do they come here but for the money, free health care in the local ER’s and free schooling for their kids. Oh, and don’t forget the tax free salaries. If they truly wanted to become a citizen they would have done it legally. Why else are they here?

15. MP Resident said on 25 Feb 2008 at 4:49 pm:

I’ve often said there isn’t much difference between illegal aliens and the people who employ them. Both are out to make a quick buck.

16. jfk said on 25 Feb 2008 at 5:59 pm:

Bayberry, why are you commenting on this thread when you bailed out of another thread? Can’t stand the heat? You have some questions to answer; be a man. You threw out some big time insults on the readers of this blog and Greg. Now you are acting like your just one of the group. Doesn’t work that way, my friend.

17. jfk said on 25 Feb 2008 at 6:02 pm:

This is what Bayberry posted on another thread about the readers of this blog and HSM:

“Bayberry resident said on 24 Feb 2008 at 7:30 pm:
    By the way, why does this house have to be ripe for an overcrowded boarding house? Why can’t it just be a hard working family who has finially found a way to make their life better. Oh, I know why because anyone who tries to better themselves must be illegal or preparing to make a boarding house. You people are unbelievable!! And I don’t mean that ina good way. A group that once had so much promise is becoming the laughing stock of the middle class of PW, Manassas and MP citizens. I ask myself, I once saw that the membership of HSM was about 2000 people. That is not great for a community of about 300,000 people. I realize my numbers may be off, but I think I have made my point.”

FYI, fellow laughing stock residents of PW, Manassas, and MP.

18. es_la_ley said on 25 Feb 2008 at 7:49 pm:

Mr. Anon said on 25 Feb 2008 at 2:31 pm:

Quite right. Needs repeated. :-)

19. Leila in the PRA said on 25 Feb 2008 at 9:53 pm:

Just curious, Mr. Anon, where exactly do you find that “US citizens are required to speak English”?

US citizens by birth are not required to speak any language in particular. If a person chooses to live his/her entire life in Yiddish or Pennsylvania Dutch for example, there is no law against it.

For those applying for US citizenship, there is an expectation of a certain ability to read, write, and speak English. However there are age-based exemptions from that requirement, so people can be and are naturalized who couldn’t pass any English test but are still allowed to vote.

What’s worse? Not being able to speak English, or writing statements in our language that are wholly inaccurate?

20. Mr. Anon said on 25 Feb 2008 at 11:02 pm:

It’s worse to be a US Citizen and not be able to speak or write in English. Further, I have no reason to believe that the exceptions you mention, assuming what you say is even true, would represent a significant amount of people. I sincerely doubt that Lowes, Bank of America, and WalMart would spend millions of dollars on signage and forms to accomodate this small number of legal residents who will not learn English. BTW, I have spent extensive time in Amish communities, and you will not find the vast majority of this group can read or speak English quite well

I have no interest in debating this point with you or anyone. It sickens me to read these stupid conversations going back and forth all the time on this site. I don’t think I can persuade you that your opinions and beliefs are ruining America, just as you can’t persuade me that what I know to be right is wholly inaccurate.

21. Irish-American said on 25 Feb 2008 at 11:36 pm:

I wish i had the time and patience to comment on all of these postings, but as an opener, it is evident/obvious that there are millions of undocumented residents who are here to stay…and most have jobs and therefore constitute a major consumer group, and, as has been pointed out repeatedly, they support - on the bottom - the construction, service and ag industries. These are the facts…and any asinine ‘resolution’ that keeps Papa Perez out of the Senior Center…if in fact he is here and wants to go…..and any Alien Unit….will do nothing to subtract these facts. As when you talk about the murderers, rapists and overcrowded boarding housees……this in my mind IS racial profiling….given that 99.9 percent are peacful family-types who want to support their families……rather than stirring up racial hatred and creating another underclass……we need to think of positive ways to handle the problem…..so, this is the ‘other’ side…..i am not ‘pro-illegal’….i a looking for sane solutions and havent read too many here…enough for now!!

22. Leila in the PRA said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:40 am:

Mr. Anon, legal residents and citizens are two different things. I spoke only of your claim about citizens being “required” to know English. In terms of legal residents, there are many legal immigrants in this country who live in ethnic enclaves with extensive use of their original languages in every aspect of life, including business, and they don’t all speak Spanish.

It is amusing that you feel compelled to say “even if true” regarding what I stated about naturalization requirements. Jeez, it isn’t exactly a state secret. It is info available in about 3 seconds from a government site, which I could have just pasted.

Finally I don’t doubt that most Amish speak English perfectly well. I never said otherwise. I clearly was only referring to the fact that no American citizen is required to speak the majority language should he/she prefer not to. There is no official language.

Virtually every complaint on this blog about illegal immigrants today was made by nativists about legal immigrants in the Ellis Island era.

23. Michael said on 26 Feb 2008 at 5:48 am:

Why is it that people don’t understand why the nation needs to speak a single language? Why do some people feel compelled to point out the trivial, while missing the obvious imperative of peace and cultural stability in a nation?

In most of these nations, historically they have eventually gone to war between these two seperated cultures, because they cannot and will not understand each other.

The reason the nation encourages “all” people of “all nations” coming here to speak English and not their native language is the peace and understanding it brings and the sense of unity in the nation’s culture and communities.

Worse, it should not be “mandatory” for English speaking citizens to be “required” to speak, teach, spend money on, or read confusing signs posted in every language some “illegal” immigrant group wants (all several hundred of them).

That’s just plain stupid. And annoying.

24. ThinkAboutIt said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:44 am:

Irish-American….I have a question for you.

Even if 99.9 percent of the illegals are honest (oxymoron alert) people, there are still crimes committed by that .1 percent.

If we rid ourselves of the law breakers, could it not save lives?

Even if illegal gang bangers only kill one person per year, couldnt we still save that one person by deporting the illegals? Yes, there are plenty of US natives that are breaking laws….so should we add to the list of offenders? Does that mean that it is ok for illegals to rape and murder because there are US citizens who do it?

I often think about why would they want to come to this country anyways? Is their own country that bad? How did it get that way and who is responsible for that? The very people now coming here? How long beofre my country is like theirs?

25. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:57 am:

Once again…Michael’s post is right on the money. Again, people need to educate themselves on the “melting pot” concept. Balkanization destroys nations.

26. Mr. Anon said on 26 Feb 2008 at 8:51 am:

The sane solution is to enforce the law, it’s very simple. Things only get complicated when people choose to look for the exception to the rule. This is an age-old debating technique. Don’t waste your time and energy arguing. Instead, take ACTION today. Here’s a suggestion; everyone should call our city council members today and thank them for their vote. Let’s give them the positive reinforcement that they deserve and ask them to continue in their efforts.

27. Angry Blackman! said on 26 Feb 2008 at 9:00 am:

The laws need to be enforced…plain and simple. These people broke laws by coming here illegally, there are no ifs, and’s or but’s. The laws have been broken!

28. Irish-American said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:19 pm:

Yes Think about it …yur right…and i hope we catch all the criminals……..bring gthem to justice……but all the rhetoric isnt goanna erase the fact that they are here and have jobs…..so all the whining wont elininate that reality…….and as far asEnglish bein gthe ‘official’ language…who the hell cars……there are the Yiddish in Brooklny and the Swedse in minnesota…..anyone who comes here and has kids n scholls…the kids learn to speak english and everyone assiminlates…all the anti-rhetoric just slows he assimilation processs….which is the only solution

29. Mr. Anon said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:39 pm:

Well, I guess we know how the folks in Dogpatch feel about this issue.

30. Bryanna said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:59 pm:

Mr. Pineda letter is so over the top that it doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously. It is questionable why he wrote the letter to the editor for publication and what he had hoped to gain by it.

31. josh said on 26 Feb 2008 at 1:04 pm:

Pineda is a serial baiter…every letter to the editor he’s had published has been like this. I mean last letter he mentioned the united states “loosing” the battle of the alamo and that we shouldnt celebrate that battle because we “lost” it. Obviously someone who thinks in black and white and who is pretty un-learned in american history (for the record, the alamo did fall..as the defenders knew it would. However the mexican army was stupid enough to stay and fight 200 defenders and give sam houston plenty of time to gain re-enforcements). The Mexican Army basically achieved one of the greatest tactical blunders in warfare.

Back to the subject, Mr. Pineda only helps inflame the attitude against illegal aliens with his drivel so I say post it anytime he submits something, it only makes him look more idiotic than he already does and it does indeed give me great laughs to read it.

32. es_la_ley said on 26 Feb 2008 at 6:58 pm:

Irish-American said on 26 Feb 2008 at 12:19 pm:

Good God man! Learn to spell and to write a proper sentence!

33. IRISH-AMERICAN said on 26 Feb 2008 at 8:22 pm:

BAYBERRY…….VIOLENCE BY HISPANICS AGAINST HISPANICS IS NEVER ALL RIGHT….WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE YOU INSIST ON TURNING THESE THINGS AROUND? ARE YOU JUST PLAIN DUMB? THE POINT IS THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VIOLENCE BETWEEEN TWO HISPANICS…..AND WHEN AN ILLEGAL HARMS A CITIZEN…NONE OF IT IS RIGHT……….JUST DIFFERENT………COMPREHENDE?

34. Bayberry resident said on 26 Feb 2008 at 8:42 pm:

Irish-American, that was my point. I am not sure why you are mad at me. I was commenting on the point that Mr. Pineda seems to think violence by hispanics is all right because it is usually against other hispanics. I do not think any violence is ok and he couldn’t be more wrong about the violence anyway. I wish I could remember the mother whos son was killed recently, I bet she doesn’t think the violence is ok. But anyway, please go back and read my post, I think we are both saying the same thing. And no, I am not just plain dumb. I’ll accept your apology anytime. I have a different opinion than many other people on here, but I believe that violence is wrong is shared by all of us. I will also say it again, I am completely against illegal aliens, no matter what country they come from. I just want to be careful what battles are chosen to fight so we don’t have the same problem the City of Manassas has now. Sometimes I stick my foot in my mouth and I know I have had to apologize many times and don’t have a problem doing it so here goes, I apologize to all the members of HSM for my comments on the last post. I think we all want the same thing, just have a very different opinion on how to do it. And to Greg, A special apology to you as I know when I went to far and can at least admit it. I will probably screw up again so I do not mind the negative posts, just please understand that I want all illegals out of our country also.

35. Mr. Anon said on 26 Feb 2008 at 9:00 pm:

Nice job, Bayberry. I respect you for having the guts to apologize. Many folks on this web site would never do that.

36. ThinkAboutIt said on 27 Feb 2008 at 6:16 am:

Irish….I do have a point here, though it probably got lost in my ramble.

If we enforce and take care of the “small stuff” then the big stuff will take care of itself.

If we enforce the laws at our borders, then maybe we wont have to enforce our murder statutes.

Ted Bundy was caught because of a speeding ticket. Berkowitz was caught because of a parking ticket. Capone did time for tax fraud. The DC snipers were caught because they were suspicious in a vehicle at a rest stop. They werent caught in the act…it was the small stuff that lead to the bigger.

How many times do the police catch car thieves because they wont drive under the speed limit, or they illegally park…..ALL THE TIME.

37. Johnson said on 27 Feb 2008 at 10:16 am:

Irish-American’s ramble-in-caps looks vaguely familiar. :-)

Pineda is the racist.

If you want to see some real racism, go to Central America and see how the Indios are treated. India is also a real treat, where the caste system ensures that an individual is born to their station in life and will never rise above it. Go to Africa, where racism is replaced with tribalism and can easily get you killed. Go to Japan and ask them how they feel about the Chinese and Koreans. Americans who have never lived in another country don’t understand what racism really is.

38. madmom said on 27 Feb 2008 at 1:59 pm:

Bayberry Resident - please look at my comment on the house post. It may clear up some thoughts about the construction going on there.

Big of you to apologize - accepted.

39. Bayberry resident said on 28 Feb 2008 at 10:15 pm:

Greg, Thank you for removing the post using my screen name. I know a lot of people have many opinions of me, but one thing I don’t want is to be represented by that comment. I am also sorry for the curse words but it really did make me angry. Feel free to remove my post.

40. AWCheney said on 29 Feb 2008 at 12:20 am:

“When any nation divides into multiple cultures and multiple languages, especially bi-lingual languages and communities, it creates conflict, misunderstanding and a sense of self-segregated communities that never heal.”

Michael, there is nothing wrong with people being bi or multi-lingual…that can be viewed as being educated, whether self or otherwise. Your oft repeated comment misses the point of the English/Spanish language debate entirely…that being English is, and should remain, the national language of this country. The problem is not that people are bi-lingual, but that so many insist upon NOT being bi-lingual and are refusing to learn English, the language of their alleged adopted country. That’s the real problem. I, myself, was bi-lingual by the age of 3, and fluently so. However, there is no other language which should be elevated above, or even equal to, English in American society. THAT’S the real issue.

41. HEARTBLEED said on 1 Mar 2008 at 11:05 am:

Johnson…you tell me to go all these places…..i can barely make it to work every day!!! There are huge crimes against humanity everywhere….and i believe the only solution to immigration is for the IMFs and World Banks….to fix these countries so they wont have to emigrate…….that solution will not happen in our time if ever, but that is the only solution…..and all the damn fences and barbed wires and resolutions are not gonna do anything but complicae the problem!!!

42. Michael said on 4 Mar 2008 at 9:14 pm:

AW, you are exactly right. I should have said, seperated into two conflicting communities with two languages, and no communication or understanding between them. Communities with 2 languages, is more correct. than “bi-lingual”. Posting communications in two languages is not “bilingual”, it is catering to people who can’t, don’t, or won’t speak the national language of English and that historically has always created conflict and problems in nations that have this two language (or multi-language) situation.

Views: 2093